The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers > Music in Middle-earth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Cover illustration by Anke Eissmann

German artist and illustrator Anke Eissmann created a brand-new painting for the cover of Music In Middle-earth. It shows Lúthien singing, accompanied by Daeron playing the flute, amidst green leaves and flowers.

This motive was chosen because of the significance of both depicted Elves for music in M-e. Lúthien was the most powerful singer ever to appear in Tolkien's works, for she had the Maian ability of her mother Melian in addition to her Elven heritage. Her singing affected Morgoth himself and brought Beren back from the dead - both unprecedented events which were accomplished by no other persons in Arda.

Daeron was said to be the mightiest of the three greatest Elven musicians. He often played as Lúthien sang and danced.

The picture thus unites both vocal and instrumental music as well as depicting two of the most influential and important musicians in Tolkien's works.

Oh, and it's beautiful! I can't access Anke's homepage at the moment; when I can do so, I will post a link for those of you who would like to see the picture.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I like Eissmann's art because unlinke Howe and Lee it's not as clear, not as sharp if you will.

Wonderful picture, and I never would have expected it to be a brand-new one.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
What's fascinating as well about the cover illustration is how it symbolises the relationship between Daeron and Luthien.

Daeron occupies the foreground of the left side of the illustration and he faces forward toward the reader/spectator, with his back towards Luthien. He is not looking directly at her at all. His eyes are, however, wide open. Luthien, on the other hand, occupies the background of the right side of the composition. Her eyes are closed and she faces away from the direction of the music, away from Daeron and toward the right frame of the illustration. Daeron is slightly obscured by a few large leaves and branches whereas Luthien is framed by small leaves, walking in mid-thigh grass.

As with all of Anke Eissmann's illustrations for Tolkien, this one is very rich, clearly placed significantly within the story, yet highly original.

It is quite wonderful that she created a new illustration for the book.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I now have the link to Anke Eissmann's home page. If you haven't explored it before, you'll be astonished over her wonderful artwork!

I can't link directly to the cover picture; you can find it here by scrolling down to "Daeron and Lúthien (2008)".

Anke's illustrations are featured on a number of covers of books published by Walking Tree. Normally an existing picture was used, but there was none for the theme of music. When we first talked about possibilities, we very soon found ourselves "on the same page" of Middle-earth for the subject. I am delighted over her beautiful painting.

Bęthberry, I find your analysis of the picture very interesting; the two persons depicted are linked only by something invisible - the music!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 02-08-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Nice to know

While I've always liked Anke's art very much, and thought that the choice of Daeron and Luthien was perfectly appropriate as a cover for the book, I didn't know that it was specifically commissioned for that purpose.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
shadowfax
Animated Skeleton

shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
here it is ...

Last edited by shadowfax; 05-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.
shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Daeron occupies the foreground of the left side of the illustration and he faces forward toward the reader/spectator, with his back towards Luthien. He is not looking directly at her at all. His eyes are, however, wide open.
Huh?! But Daeron's eyes are closed as well! He seems totally concentrated on his music.

This is another lovely picture by Anke Eissmann. (I recently enjoyed very much looking at her pictures and sketches at the Seminar in Jena.)
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Daeron occupies the foreground of the left side of the illustration and he faces forward toward the reader/spectator, with his back towards Luthien. He is not looking directly at her at all. His eyes are, however, wide open.

Huh?! But Daeron's eyes are closed as well! He seems totally concentrated on his music.
In my copy (On my copy? ), his eyes are two-toned, which gives the appearance of whites of the eyes with a darker, shaded spot that could be iris and cornea. Although the bottom of his eyes have a dark liner (possibly lashes), it really does not, to me, look like a closed eyelid in the same way as Luthien's.

Many things besides beauty are in the eye of the beholder?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I see what you mean, looking from far away it really might give that impression!

But if you click on Esty's link above and enlarge the picture, you see the eyelids and lashes quite clearly .