Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2002, 04:04 AM   #761
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Gamba returned from digging to find Phura still in a funk, and he went to the Loremaster. "What's wrong? Why is Phura upset?"

Gamba really didn't expect an answer; he hadn't gotten any answers from anybody besides Levanto for several weeks. But to his surprise, Loremaster gently drew him aside, sat him down, and faced him seriously.

"Our people have been in these caves now for many years, haven't we?"

"Yes, sir."

"We've stayed together."

"Yes, sir."

"Why?"

"There's nowhere to go, sir."

Loremaster nodded. "And now, Nitir and Azra have returned for us. They are going to remove us from here, and take us elsewhere. And then, we will not have to stay in this prison, will we?"

"No, sir. We'll be able to do what we want."

"Exactly." Loremaster stepped back, waiting for Gamba to grasp the implications.

Loremaster always did this; Phura usually figured it out, and Gamba was left feeling stupid. Gamba sifted through what Loremaster had told him, looking for clues, but in his eyes, Loremaster's answer didn't answer anything.

Gamba struggled, fidgeting. "I still don't understand what that has to do with Phura, and why Phura is upset."

Loremaster gently placed his hand on Gamba's shoulder. "Sometimes when brothers are free to choose, they choose to live a completely new life of their own. They make their own decisions, they build their own lives. And sometimes that takes them apart from each other."

"But we can always visit each other, " Gamba replied. He couldn't imagine distances much bigger than the caves they worked in or the graveyards they dug in.

"Perhaps, " Loremaster replied. "Perhaps you could. But if not, you must go ahead and live life anyway."

Gamba stood, and looked at Loremaster, and realised that he was finished with what he was saying. Gamba wondered which was worse, no answer at all, or a long complicated answer that didn't tell him anything. He left perplexed, and went to try and cheer up his brother. Phura put on a brave face, and tried to be less miserable, but steadfastly refused to talk about what was bothering him.

Eventually they gathered Kesha, Asta, and Roka, and went to visit the four children and try to comfort them.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-15-2002, 09:38 AM   #762
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan stood with Khelek, Veritas, Piosenniel and Ancalimon near the helm watching the Halflings practice the use of their weapons.

Khelek laughed suddenly. "Such an army!" he chuckled. "Fortunately, we do not go to war but merely to a rescue."

Mithadan scowled and turned to Khelek. "They will have use of their weapons. The Hobbits are, no doubt guarded by men loyal to their King." A grim look appeared on his face. "Understand this! Every guard must be slain! Not one can be permitted to escape. Fair or foul, faithful or faithless, each must die. No report of our rescue can reach Armenelos. The King is not there; he is leading his fleet. But his advisors remain and one is the Dark One. No one can be allowed to escape. And if this makes you unsettled consider that they would all die in a fortnight anyway."

"You are of dark mood, Mithadan," responded Khelek.

"Dark indeed," he replied. "I find myself at the most shameful and disasterous time in the entire history of my people. Not a day passes when we do not think of the fall of Numenor and mourn both the loss as well as our actions." He turned to face Piosenniel. "You revisited a dark day for the Elves when we travelled to Gondolin. This," he said, gesturing to the shadowy outline of the island. "This is my Gondolin."

"Peace!" said Piosenniel and smiling she placed a hand on the shoulder of the scowling Man. "May we fare better here than we did then. And on the day of our triumph, you will rejoice and be at ease as we enjoy the fruits of our labours."

He looked darkly at the Elf and turned abruptly away. His scowl did not abate. "Perhaps," he said.

Ancalimon listened as they spoke. He looked down at the Hobbits laughing and shouting as they practiced with their knives. Then he looked up at the not too distant shore of Numenor. "No one can see all ends..." he muttered under his breath.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:35 AM   #763
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose looked up from her practicing and spoke to Mithadan. "Do we really have to kill all of them? Isn't there another way? It just seems reckless somehow."
Old 09-15-2002, 01:00 PM   #764
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

"Reckless? Reckless!" I'll be the judge of what is reckless, and what is prudent. If you want your people to be safe from the prying eye of Sauron, I would suggest you follow orders."

"It is a sad necessity," Khelek replied quietly so that none could hear.

Elves kept the memory of the Kinslayings at bay. He supposed Men did the same with the folly of Ar-Pharazon and the Fall of Numenor. The Elf's sharp ears had heard Ancalimon's murmer. What exactly had he meant by that? True, things unbidden could befall them, but it was quite unlikely Ar-Pharazon would have any major forces guarding the tombs. After all, he was going to war with the Vala. And he highly doubted any of the Elendili would be tarrying there. Many of them would have heeded Elendil's words and be waiting on the eastern shore, nearest to Middle-earth. Many questions were still unanswered.

Mithadan left, for his cabin, still within his dark thoughts. Rose was staring at his back, dumbstruck at the way Mithadan had reacted as Child went after him.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: GreatWarg ]
Old 09-15-2002, 01:00 PM   #765
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC -- GREAT WARG AND I DOUBLE POSTED AND THEN DOUBLE EDITED!! PRETTY TALENTED AREN'T WE! LET'S LEAVE THESE FOR NOW. WE CAN ALWAYS BLEND THEM TOGETHER IN THE FANFICTION EDITING.
Mithadan pushed Khelek aside and interjected his thoughts, "Reckless? Reckless!" I'll be the judge of what is reckless, and what is prudent. If you want your people to be safe from the prying eye of Sauron, I would suggest you follow orders."

Rose looked up at Mithadan, a look of anger and exasperation on her face. She held her temper, and walked away, muttering under her breath. Mithadan also scowled and went below returning to his cabin.

Child had watched this entire scene with some trepidation. It was not what Mith had said that alarmed her. It was how he had said it.

She looked over at Piosenniel for help, but the Elf deliberately turned her head and went to busy herself with another task.

Child had seen Mithadan under severe pressure in Gondolin, but he had not reacted in this manner. She found it hard to believe that his anger and discomfort were merely a product of the Star and its quest. Somehow, this seemed far more personal. She decided to follow the Man down to his cabin and let him know she was concerned and that, perhaps, it might help to share his thoughts.

Child figured the worst that could happen was that she would be thrown out on her ear. This didn't seem too terrible a price to pay in order to try and help a friend. She clambored down below deck and knocked loudly on Mithadan's door.

-----------------------------------------

Mithadan felt the stares of the others on his back as he stalked away to his cabin. He threw the door open, rushed through the portal, then slammed it behind him with surprising violence. Unbuckling his belt, he threw it and its weaponry onto the bed and began pacing the confines of his quarters.

Mumbling angrily under his breath, he walked back and forth with fists clenched until he saw his reflection in the mirror hanging on the wall. Stopping in his tracks, he examined the image in the glass; his back ramrod straight, shoulders thrust back and tight, veins standing out on his neck and temples, teeth clenched tightly in a scowl that was nearly a growl.

"If it is possible, you are more foolish even than you look," he said to his reflection. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep, ragged breath. He forced himself to relax, lowering his shoulders, easing the tension in his neck and face and slumping slightly. He opened his eyes and looked again at his image in the mirror. A sheepish smile appeared on his face and he laughed. "Now, idiot, you look a bit more like yourself," he whispered.

He reached for the bottle of wine, then stopped -- no answers there. Instead, he stretched, hearing his neck crackle and pop. "I suppose I must apologize to Rose and Khelek," he said. Just as he turned to the door, he heard a knock. After a moment's hesitation, he opened the door and admitted Cami.

"Cami," he began. "I was just going to..."

"You are going nowhere," she interrupted. "Sit down, please." He opened his mouth to protest, but she scowled and gestured angrily to the chair. "Sit!" With a slight sigh, he obeyed the Hobbit's instruction.

It was her turn to pace. As she strode back and forth, she spoke with an occaisional gesture. "Whatever ails you, Mithadan, I would remind you that we look to you for guidance, and your mood does not sit well with the crew. You owe both Khelek and Rose apologies!" He opened his mouth, but she silenced him with a gesture and continued.
"I know that you are under great pressure, and I think I understand your feelings concerning Numenor, but we are all under pressure and need your leadership. Instead, you mope about and rant like a child. Whatever you have bottled up within you, you must release it!"

"You think I should apologize to Rose and Khelek?" he said with mock surprise. "Well, perhaps I have had a lot on my mind of late and have allowed it to interfere with my duties. You're right, I will speak to Rose and Khelek." He stood and went to the door.

Surprised that the conversation had gone so easily, Cami stopped him again. "Add Piosenniel to your list as well! You go and risk your life, then you call her back to us, then suddenly you begin acting as if you despise her. She does not deserve such treatment."

Mithadan looked gravely at the Hobbit for a moment. Then, though he looked troubled, he smiled. "Aye, little Andreth indeed!" he replied. "I have acted like a fool. I will set matters to rights. Thank you Cami."

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-15-2002, 01:26 PM   #766
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose wandered belowdecks, the "game" of sword practice no longer seemed as fun, and Mith's reaction to her doubts had made the reality of the rescue mission sink in even more.

As she stood near the door of the hold, she heard Birdie's voice cooing from the hold. "Good girl! You can do it...c'mon...GOOD GIRL!"

Rose peeked down the ramp, and saw the skin-changer hanging over the edge of the sea-cow tank. The three, great, grey creatures were lined up in front of Birdie, bobbing up and down in the water.

"Hullo, Rose! Come on down. I was just checking on our "herd", so to speak. You know, they're really very smart. Watch!"

Bird held up a succulent piece of seaweed, and one of the "cows" raised her bulk from the water, did a ponderous turn, and flopped back down, overflowing the tank.

"See? She's dancing! Good Girl! I've named them Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles. Come say hello." Then Bird caught the look on Rose's face as her she came down into the hold.

Rose, what's wrong? Is it time to go, yet?"
Old 09-15-2002, 02:08 PM   #767
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio returned to her own cabin. She nodded briefly at Child, who stood knocking on the door to Mithadan's cabin.

'Let her deal with him first.' she thought to herself. 'Let her be the one to prick his darkling thoughts and allow them to be aired and dealt with in a clearer light.' She wished the brave hobbit well.

She entered her cabin, and threw the books and papers from her desk chair. Once seated, her feet propped on the charts on her desk, she took the bottle of wine from the bottom drawer and poured herself a large glass. She was in a strange mood herself, and sought to ease her mind before taking any action.

The fall of Gondolin was not the same as the fall of Númenor, she mused to herself. Unless, that is, one considered the insular mind set of Turgon to have played a large part in it. She preferred to think of it in a less judgmental way - that the elves had been overcome by an overwhelming force of evil, against whose advances there was no recourse. Elenna,Númenor, on the other hand, was a different story. Or was it? Had men really brought all this on themselves, or had they been the unknowing players in another poor attempt by the Valar to be 'nice'. What an interesting set up she thought - give long life with one hand and a land which looks toward the land of Immortality with the other, and then forbid the gifted the possibility of ever setting foot in that Immortal Realm. On the other hand, those were the rules within which the Edain played and they had chosen to ignore them. No wonder Mithadan was in such a foul mood.

She had come to the end of her glass, and poured herself another one. Just half this time, and watered. She needed to think clearly. Mithadan's dark mood must be dealt with in some way. The crew would not function well as a unit for the rescue if one of the key leaders were lost in the deeps of anguish. And what were all the sources for this anger and anguish? She could not see them clearly, but felt they went beyond the failure of the Edain to keep the faith. She only knew there seemed to be a tense feeling between them now, where once there was an easy comradery. She missed that, and did not understand why he pulled away, keeping himself guarded.

The Telerin ships would not arrive soon, which bought her some time to figure out a way to offer her assistance, to shoulder what burden she could to make his lighter.

She sighed, and rearranged herself more comfortably on the chair. 'I can't think about this right now.' she said to the empty room. 'My thoughts are too muddled. There is no light that shines through on anything!'

Frustrated, she took another sip of wine, and took up a clean sheet of vellum on which to distract herself with sketching.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-15-2002, 02:27 PM   #768
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Birdie asked what was wrong Rose's anger turned to tears. All the pain she had been dealing with over the past few days came pouring out.
"It's just all so much. I'm so frightened of what happened before. In Gondolin. I'm afraid of what we're going to do. It all seems so sudden. I'm tired of adventures. I'm tired of the sea. The fights. Everyone getting so worked up. We're gonna have to kill all the guards when we go the rescue the hobbits. I don't like the thought of that. And Mithadan..he yelled at me..and I know he's under alot of stress..but.."

Rose could get any more words out over her sobs.

(ooc: a little emotional moment for our young hobbit. Oh, and nice names Bird. I bet you made those up all by yourself
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 09-15-2002, 03:39 PM   #769
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird reached out and pulled the sobbing Halfling down on the bench by the tank, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. “There, now, Rose,” she said “ I know. I’m afraid, too. Been afraid ever since Gondolin, I guess. And having Pio back, glad as I am about that, has not eased that fear.“

“Killing Orcs was one thing. It’s like killing bugs. But now it’s Men we’re up against. Some of them may be evil. Some just misguided and foolish. But I do know they‘ll fight, And fight hard. I don’t know if their hearts will be in it or not. I know mine‘s not.“

But we made a promise to see this through, and I can‘t go back on that promise. I don’t think you can, either. So we’ll just have to watch out for each other and do our best, until this is all over. I’m no good at all the planning and prepping. I have to leave those things to Mithadan, Child, and Pio. But I’m pretty good at getting myself out of scrapes. So I’ll watch your back, if you watch mine.”

At that moment Buttercup, seeking another seaweed handout, gave Rose a mighty bump with her head, almost knocking the Hobbit off the bench. Rose burst out laughing through her tears, and reached out to scratch the grey, whiskery face.

“Hey, she likes you!“ laughed Birdie. She reached for some more greenery and handed it to the sea-cows. “There’s one thing I have to disagree with you on though, Rose“, said the skin-changer, “I love the 'Lonely Star'. And the Sea. I’ll never be tired of them.“

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-16-2002, 06:09 PM   #770
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She heard the soft knock at her door. 'Come!' she called, wondering what was needed now.

Daisy peeked her head in, and smiled. 'It's just me, Pio. I've come to tell you that Levanto has returned and is asking for you.'

'Good news, I hope!' she said, getting up from the chair, and coming to the door. She ruffled the curls on the girl's head, and smiled ar her.

On the way down the hall, they stopped at the man's closed door. Pio rapped lightly, calling clearly. 'Levanto is here, Mithadan. Come hear what report he brings.' She stood for a few moments, waiting for reply, but none came.

'Come, Daisy.' she said to her companion, 'He must have gone above already. He will have to find us.'

Levanto was still in the water when they came on deck. He was too tired, he protested to come on board, and would she please come down to him.

She climbed down to the moored skiff near him and listened as he began the story of his trip upstream.

'Hold! I'm coming down.' came the voice from above. 'I want to hear Levanto's report as well.' Mithadan dropped down to the boat from the rope ladder and sat opposite the elf. His bearing was serious, and he listened closely to all that the mer-man had to say. Pio stopped Levanto many times during his story to review exactly what he had seen and where.

When he had finished, she smiled warmly at him and thanked him for doing this. He told her, then, that he would meet with two of the elders in the coming evening. They would then have more specific information on the guards,their schedules, and how they were armed.

'You must be weary, my sweet friend.' she said to Levanto, placing her hand lightly on his arm. 'Go to your rest now and I will speak with you tomorrow morning before you go back to the caverns.' She stood and made to go up the ladder. 'Can we speak later of what Levanto has told us, Mithadan' I wish to tell Cami and Rose of the two young hobbits, and the Loremaster and the Elders. I think it will bring them some cheer.'

She climbed quickly to the top and disappeared over the railing. Levanto watched as the man's gaze followed her retreating form for a moment then looked far out to sea.

Mithadan, too, thanked Levanto for his report and thought to make his way back up to the deck. Levanto grasped his arm firmly before he could rise from his seat, and regarded him closely before he spoke.

'You will keep her safe this time, Man!'

Then with a small splash, he dropped beneath the water, and was gone.