User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2003, 09:41 AM   #401
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird's heart broke at the sight of Fosco, who was always such a happy-go-lucky thing, breaking down into tears. But the sight of Ferny's lacky standing there, watching the scene with a sneer, rankled. Nor had she forgotten the groping that she had had to endure. Sympathy and tears would have to wait. She had to show these men where she intended to stand in their pecking order, and she had to do it now.

So she whipped back her arm from the grasp of the halfling child, and with a "tsk" of disgust wiped the tears away with her hand. "Quit that catterwauling. It will get you nowhere with me. I've dealt with enough brats to know that turning on the waterworks makes them think they will get their way. Keep that blubbering up, and I'll give you something to really blubber about."

Bird ran her gaze around the cell, wrinkling her nose in disgust. She picked up an empty wooden pail, and slinging it into the chest of the guard, snarled "Fetch me some water."

"Bill says I'm to stay with you all." the man drawled thickly.

"SLACK-WIT!" Birdie screamed "I'm not staying with this brat, reeking the way he does. And don't think you'll sit there on your pimply bum while I do all the work! I want some water, and I want it NOW!"

With that Bird started swinging the bucket at the guard's head, until he stumbled out the door into the daylight. Birdie hurled the pail after him, shouting, "and don't forget to fetch a faggot of wood for the hearth. And a kettle and tea. If I'm to tend this ratling, I'll have my tea! Now get going, before I boil some water and plunk YOU in it, you stinking, slinking moon-calf!"

Bird whipped around and re-entered the cell, the laughter of Ferny's men as they jeered at their hen-pecked fellow echoing through the yard. Swiftly she ran to back to Fosco, hissing "We don't have much time. I am here to help you. Tell me what you know of the intentions of these ruffians, quickly!"
Old 05-23-2003, 10:11 AM   #402
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Stoat watched Bird chase Ferny's man from the cottage with a dark grin on his face. He turned to Mithadan with a smirk and said, "Now she's sumthin' now isn't she?"

Mithadan nodded with a grin. "Yes, she can be a real dragon to those who run afoul of her."

The grubby Man looked at Mithadan appraisingly. "Now what can we do with you?" he asked.

"I'll do such as you need," Mithadan answered. "Though I'd like a chance to rub the faces of those Halflings in it. You were right about your warnings when I met you on the road a time ago."

Stoat's eyes narrowed as he tried to recall what Mithadan spoke of. Then he nodded in recognition. "I'd fergotten," he said. "Too much drink and that beard of yours. D'yer have a run in with 'em?"

"Aye," responded Mithadan. "They locked me up and took my purse. I'd hidden my sword before they caught me, else I'd have lost that too. Met her in the lock-up."

"Well now," said Stoat. "If that's the way of things, then you'll enjoy the goings on around here. But fer now, take yer sword and head over ter the gate. Stand guard fer a time while we dream up a good use fer you..."
Old 05-24-2003, 01:52 AM   #403
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

6 Cermië

She heard the knocking at her door and rose stiffly from her chair. ‘Now what do you need?’ she called out, thinking the Shiriff had forgotten to press her on some important point. ‘I know no more now than when you last were here!’ she said as she threw open the door.

A surprised Cami stood on the threshold. ‘What in the Shire are you talking about? I’ve come to play with the babies - that’s all I need. And honestly, I have no questions for you, except: Where are they?’ She watched as Pio limped painfully back to her chair, favoring her left leg.

‘What’s happened to you?’ she asked. Her eyes strayed to the nursery door; she could hear Gilly’s voice, and the fussing little cries of hungry babies.

‘Nothing!’ came the curt reply from the Elf. ‘I’m just a little stiff, that’s all.’

‘Stiff, my foot!’ said Gilly in a disapproving tone. She came out of the nursery, cradling an infant in each arm. ‘Begging your pardon and all, Mistress Piosenniel, but it’s your Elven neck that’s stiff, not your leg.’ She turned to Cami and handed her the little girl. The hungry, squalling boy she handed to his mother. ‘You should make her show you her leg. The place where Willem cut her. It’s not healing right, what I’ve seen of it, and she won’t let Prim take a look at it.’

Gilly looked meaningfully at Cami as she uttered her next statement. ‘I heard from one of the Bywater boys who was at the Inn yesterday that Gammer Bolger was going to Amaranthas’ today, to leave her some of her unguents and herbals in trade for thimbleberry jam and plum conserve, and a loaf or two of Amaranthas’ seed cake.’ A certain light came into her eyes and she peered at Cami thoughtfully.

‘If you’re not busy this morning, maybe we can all take a ride up to Amaranthas’ and catch her there.’ She picked up the baby from Cami’s arms and traded her for the boy.

Pio raised her brows at the obviousness of this suggestion, and was about to shake her head ‘no’, when Cami spoke . . .
Old 05-24-2003, 11:14 AM   #404
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Piosenniel! I can't believe you would be so rude to snub your friend Amaranthas." Cami shook her head in exasperation.

"I know for a fact that Amaranthas is feeling poorly, and wants to see more of the twins. Why, she was just telling me the other day how hard it is for her to get a ride to the Inn, and how she's past the age of walking so far."

"I'm sure she told me that so I could gently pass the warning on to you. It's considered very rude in the Shire to snub the head of an extended family or someone who's on in years. And that's exactly what you're doing! So you'd better get your body into that cart now, or every hobbit in the Shire will be saying that the Elf thinks herself too high and mighty to visit an elderly hobbit who needs a kindly word!"

"Anyways, Holly is itching for a little expedition, and Bilbo has been telling me that, with Frodo spending so much of his time helping Sam, he'd also appreciate an outing. Surely you wouldn't disappoint my teacher!"

Cami gave a stern eye to Gilly, indicating that she should go out to the stables and have the larger cart prepared as quickly as possible so they could all fit inside. Before Gilly left, she tugged on Cami's sleeve and pulled her aside in the corridor, "Is that really true? The part about Amaranthas feeling "poorly" and Bilbo wanting an expedition?

Cami shook her head, "Now, don't ask so many questions. Just get that cart ready before Pio changes her mind. I'll bring Holly. You pop around to Bilbo and tell him to come along. He's always up for a little visit. Maura's out on patrol duty, and won't be back till tonight, and my boys have gone on a picnic with Lindo. So my time is perfectly free."

With that, Cami returned to Pio with an innocent smile plastered across her face.

[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-25-2003, 02:27 PM   #405
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

You are an imp, Cami Goodchild!

Pio watched as the smile froze on the Hobbit’s face, a decidedly rabbit-facing-the-snake look coming over her features. The Elf grinned and punched her friend lightly in the shoulder. ‘And I love you for it!’

She beckoned the relieved Hobbit closer and motioned for her to give her a hand up. Pio winced and shook her head as she rose. Leaning on Cami’s shoulder she made her way to the door of her rooms and out to the waiting wagon.

Cami took the driver’s seat with Gilly beside her, and Holly snug on the young Hobbit’s lap. Pio climbed into the back with the twins, sleeping in their basket, on the seat next to her. There would be plenty of room for Bilbo on the front seat of the wagon. The Elf squirmed uncomfortably in her seat, trying to ease the pain in her leg, and the dull headache which had just invaded the space between her eyes.

Bilbo came hurrying from the Inn, eager to go on the outing with the trio. Cami flicked the reins gently on Nettle’s flanks, urging the pony on.

I should have taken a dose of willow-bark powder. Pio thought to herself as they rolled slowly down the Great East Road, nearing the turn north, up Hill Lane. She eased the babies’ basket to the floor of the cart and brought her leg up to rest on the seat. Leaning back against the high side of the cart, Pio rubbed her temples, and closed her eyes against the bright mid-morning light.

Perhaps if I can just sleep a little, I shall feel better by the time we get to Amaranthas’ . . . She loosened the collar of her shirt, and rubbed the back of her hand across her forehead. So hot . . .

Her thoughts trailed off . . .
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #406
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Fosco jerked his head back in surprise as Bird pulled her hand away and began scolding him. He sat back and brushed the tears from his eyes, fighting the new ones threatening to come up, for his mother would have never treated him in that way if he was sorrowful and needed comfort. He folded his arms and watched as Bird chased the henchman who was keeping an eye on them out of the house. Then she turned back to him and asked him hurriedly to tell him what Ferny was planning.

Fosco stared at her. She had treated him in such a cold and uncaring way, and now she expected him to talk to her. She was crazy. "I won't tell you," he said, closing his eyes and raising his chin stubbornly. "You're too mean."

Bird stared at him for a few moments, puzzling it out. How could she make someone so young as him understand, especially when he was so upset? "Fosco, listen," she said firmly. "We can't let Ferny and his henchmen know we're friends."

"You mean..." Fosco hesitated and gave her a strange look, as though he didn't really trust her. Probably trying to think of an excuse to scold me again. "You mean we have to look like we hate each other?"

"Yes, and then we can escape. But, Fosco, you must tell me Ferny's plans."

And then Fosco told her the whole story, beginning at the most unecessary points, such as that Pio was going to have twins and his mother was to be a midwife. At last Bird had heard everything. Ferny was going to kidnap Pio's twins. Bird's mind began to work quickly.

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 05-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #407
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie's skin crawled as she heard Fosco's final words regarding what "that bad man" planned to do. Kidnap the twins? Ferny was not just bad; he was utterly insane. Kidnap the children of a First Born? He would have every Elf in the territory down on Breeland with just one thought from Piosenniel. What could that man be thinking?

But then, would Pio even send that thought? Would she risk allowing her kinfolk to know that Mith and she had broken the edict of the King regarding the Shire? Perhaps the Elf folk would not care, but what of the Rangers she had seen at the ruins of Annúminas? If they heard of these doings, what would they do with Mith, after they had finished with Ferny? No, none could know of this except Mith, and he would have to know of it very soon.

Bird started to pace back and forth, muttering to herself, while Fosco looked on with wary eyes. She heard the weasely guard outside, complaining bitterly to anyone who would listen about his treatment from that "catty foreign female" in the cottage. How could they convince Ferny that a guard wasn't necessary? That this "foreign female" was every bit as nasty as any of his own men?

Suddenly the little skinchanger let out a laugh and whirled around to the halfling child. "Fosco, my little lad. How loud can you yell?"

Fosco's eyes widened and he stared at Bird, puzzled. "What kind of yell do you mean?" he asked curiously. It was obvious she had something up her sleeve, and he wanted to find out what it was.

"Like I'm beating you."

Fosco grinned widely. "I can yell really loud."

(additional text by Nurumaiel.)

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 05-28-2003, 12:01 AM   #408
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the cart wound its way through the shady lanes towards Hobbiton, Holly kept up a non-stop stream of three year-old singing and giggling, twining herself first about Gilly's neck, then crawling over to the sideboard and leaning out to grab at passing branches. Cami had all she could do to keep Nettle's attention on the road and make sure her daughter did not become so excited that she pitched headlong from the wagon.

The hobbit paid little attention to Pio and the twins who were stretched out in the back. Since no noise came from any of them, she assumed her friend was drowsing, enjoying a rare moment of rest from the unending tasks of nursing and tending to the needs of little ones. When they finally pulled up beside Amaranthas' door, Cami helped Bilbo down from the wagon and had Gilly lead him and Holly into the parlor. She stayed behind for a moment intending to climb into the back and wake up Pio.

The twins were nestled near one another, peacefully asleep in their wicker basket with covers tucked in tight. But one close look at Piosenniel confirmed that something was wrong. Her friend's face looked flushed and terribly white, like a bedsheet that had been stretched too tight. Pio lay half slumped over and shivering, leaning her head against the high side of the cart. Yet, when Cami slipped her fingers through the wayward curls that had fallen down on Pio's forehead, it felt terribly hot to her touch. Piosenniel stared up with groggy eyes that did not seem to focus clearly and tried to force her body up, but then fell back defeated onto the hay with a soft moan.

Cami's eye's widened with apprehension. In all their days together on the Star, through all their ragged adventures, she had never seen her friend look so weak. She forced back a memory of Gondolin, when Pio had left her and gone rashly forward to confront a whole army of Orcs, lying mortally wounded in Idril's house. What a fool I am! While I focused on the road and Holly's antics, I didn't see how Piosenniel's wound had festered and now spews its venom into her blood. I wish she had never crossed paths with that loud mouth hobbit at the Inn. Cami found her heart pounding fiercely as she raced up to Amaranthas' door calling out for Gilly to come help her lift the half-conscious Elf out of the back of the cart.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-29-2003, 03:47 AM   #409
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

6 Cermië, and waking on 7 Cermië, the day before the party

Were it not for the serious expressions on the Hobbits’ faces, it would have looked like a comedy routine from some rustic group of traveling players at the local Inn. The Elf was tall, and the fact that she had gone limp in her fevered state made her a long, large dead weight for them to manage.

Cami and Gilly grabbed her under the shoulders, while Bilbo and Amaranthas with Gammer Bolger took the legs. Holly, wide-eyed at the spectacle, held the door open for the rescuers.

‘Put her there in the bedroom on the left,’ directed Amaranthas, as they cleared the threshold. They wrangled her through the narrow door way, head first and with a mighty effort, shoved her on the bed.

Pio’s face was flushed, her brow hot, when Gammer Bolger put her fingers to it, and beaded with sweat. Her lids were closed and her eyes moved restlessly beneath them. An occasional moan escaped her lips from time to time, accompanied by a grimace.

Amaranthas set Gilly to boiling some water as she and Gammer inspected the offending leg wound.

The old dragon trained her sharp, beady black eyes on Cami, who stood at the side of the bed holding her friend’s hand. ‘Now just how does Miz Pio come to have such a nasty gash on her leg, Miz Cami? What’s been going on down at the Inn that this should have happened?’

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The stars picked out their old comforting patterns against the darkness of the night sky. Wilwarin to her right, and above her the Netted Stars.

To her left, a looked for beacon, shone Eärendil, hanging bright above the horizon.

’Well, now, what are you doing here, Elf?’ the deep voice asked, a hint of amusement playing at the edges of the question.

It was a cold wind that pushed her short curls back from her face. Pio lifted her arms to run her fingers through her cropped hair, her brow furrowing at the length of it. Her neck was bare and the coolness of the air as it rushed by felt welcome.

She had been so hot, she remembered. And painful,too. Her hand dropped down to rub the firm muscle on the top of her thigh. Her leg was whole, no pain, no stiffness.

Leggings, she was wearing leggings, and her soft leather shirt, unlaced as usual, at the throat. Across her chest, her leather baldric. Her knives arranged just so, two more secreted in the tops of her knee high, soft leather boots. At her left hip, her blade.

‘Where are we bound, Old One?’ she asked, her heart beating quickly at the ribbon of silver, the familiar river that ran through the land below them.

A full moon hung fat in the darkness, throwing its soft light on the lands below. The shadow of the great beast rippled over Nan Tathren, a great winged ship bearing its rider over the plains below and across the Andram.

‘Go west, keeping the Teiglin on your right,’ she commanded. And she heard the snort at this demand. ‘I would see it, if you please. The Rainy Stair.’

‘It pleases me, Elf, that you remember to be polite. This is a service I do for you, no slavish task.’

Still, they turned, and Amon Rudh flew by beneath them as they veered northward once again and came to the Celebros as it entered the Teiglin. Even in moonlight it was beautiful, the silvered water as it descended from the highlands of Brethil into the ravines of the greater river and fell in a series of waterfalls. Fine mist filled the air above it as the waters plunged down the ravines, throwing spray into the air.

‘Look!’ she cried, urging her companion down through the cool, watery haze. ‘Dimrost, the Rainy Stair.’ The fine spray broke the soft moonlight into bright gems that caught on her clothing and in the tangles of her hair as they passed through it. She laughed, a silvery laugh, that fell through the mist and was borne up again on the river’s spray.

‘Now north,’ she pleaded, the desire growing in her to see the Fountain in the King’s Square once again.

Beyond the border of great pines that bounded Brethil they flew and rising up, passed over the tips of the Crissaegrim. Pio gasped as they dropped beneath the thin cover of clouds at the crown of the mountains and their small shadow winged its way across the Vale of Tumladen.

‘Ondolindë!’ She strained forward, leaning down alongside the neck of her companion. ‘Take me down. Let me walk there once again . . .’

Her words trailed off, and the land below grew thin and wavered beneath her. She fell, plunging headlong into darkness as the great beast beneath her turned transparent and its form no longer held.

‘Not this time, Elf,’ came the once familiar voice, fading to a whisper, dispersed on the air. Another, more commanding voice, rang firm behind it. ‘Wake from your dreamings, Firstborn.’

‘Wake up, Piosenniel. It is a new day. Your son and daughter call for you.'

7 Cermië

Early morning threw a pale bar of sunlight across the coverlet. Pio, her eyes barely opened, struggled up, thinking to see the golden-eyed visage of her old friend perched close on the bed beside her. Instead, her hand touched the tousled brown curls of Cami, whose head lay heavily on the edge of the bed where she had fallen asleep as she knelt by her friend’s side.

Pio propped herself up on her elbows and called softly to the Hobbit.

‘Cami, wake up! Where has Angara got to . . .?’

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 PM   #410
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami pressed her head as far underneath the coverlet as she could. From somewhere distant, she heard a voice calling out her own name and that of "Angara." Cami wondered just how that could be, since only a minute or so before the great wyrm had been triumphantly perched upon the masthead of the Star, commanding the hobbit to go down to the bottom deck and fill the gigantic storage tub with hot soapy water. Cami quibbled with Angara as she'd done a hundred times before, trying to explain that the three seacows who lived there would not care to share their home, not even temporarily with a magical dragon taking a bath.

The voice became louder and more insistent, and Cami felt a gentle hand on top of her head, with the fingers slipping through her towseled curls. Instinctively, the hobbit opened her eyes and sat up abruptly as reality came flooding back. She stared over at Piosenniel, still pale and strained, but looking much better than when they'd hauled her from the wagon and dragged her inside.

Afraid that she might break down and blubber with relief, Cami steeled her face and wagged a finger toward her friend. "That's the last time I'll let you get away with that. You gave us a terrible scare. Gammer Bolger and Amaranthas have been working on you all night, draining out the infection and trying all manner of herbal remedies. When your fever finally broke, they bound a new poultice on your leg and bandaged it up all nice and fresh."

"You've had a string of wellwishers pounding at the front door, but Gilly's made them all go away. Even the Shirriff came and brought a vase of flowers." She pointed towards a small arrangement of posies which Gilly had set on the broad window ledge.

Piosenniel shifted her arms and upper body as if she were about to fling back the bedclothes and try to stand up. Instantly, and with no warning, Gilly came racing into the bedchamber with a look of resolve on her face. "No, you don't, Miz Pio. Amaranthas is resting now, but she gave strict orders. You're to remain in bed till evening, and try to eat some nourishing food, even if we have to pile five hobbits on top of you to hold you down."

Piosenniel's eyes widened sightly at the thought of five plump hobbits pressing down against her leg. A large bed tray filled with a vast array of scrumptious hobbit treats was immediately brought in and set down on a table right beside her. Piosenniel had resigned herself and was just about to take her first bite of a small seed cake, when she looked sharply over to Gilly and asked in a trembling voice, "The twins. Where are the twins? They were with me in the back of the wagon."
Old 05-31-2003, 01:57 AM   #411
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

7 Cermië

Pio put the seedcake back on the tray, and pushed the table away from the bed. ‘You will regret it if you come near me,’ she said in a low, even voice to Gilly, who had stepped close to her in anticipation of her next move. She threw back the covers and sat up gingerly, easing her legs over the side of the bed. ‘And worse yet,’ she warned, seeing Gilly take another step closer, ‘if you touch me at all.’

Cami’s voice came tiredly from the opposite edge of the bed, where she now sat. ‘She means it, Gilly. Best leave the fool Elf to fall over by herself, if that’s what she wants to do.’ Cami yawned broadly, and laid down on the pillow next to Pio’s. ‘Eru knows we’re all so tired that if she does . . . fall over, that is . . . we won’t have enough energy among us to get her back in bed.’ She tossed the other pillow on the floor in front of Pio. ‘Try to land on that you stiff-necked Elf, we’ll throw a blanket over you and you can stay there til we’re rested or you’re better!’ Cami’s voice trailed off into another series of yawns, then silence, followed by the soft sounds of snoring.

Pio’s face had gone white from the effort of sitting up, and the room about her was starting to spin and close in about her. She shut her eyes and took a deep breath, then called gently to the babies. They were nearby, and dreaming, but the touch of her thought awakened them, and their little minds reached out for her. Relief flooded through her. They were alright.

‘Bring them to me. They are awake now.’ Gilly started to protest that they were sleeping, but their tiny voices proved otherwise as they took up the lusty cry for the comforts of their ammë.

Gilly picked up the pillow from the floor and propped it against the headboards of the bed. ‘If you’ll get back in there, as Amaranthas directed, and settle in comfortably, I’ll bring them to you,’ she bargained with the pasty-faced Elf.

‘Just bring them, and quickly, I’ll do as you wish.’ Her leg had started to throb, and she eased it gently back onto the bed, pulling the covers back up over her legs as she rested against the headboard. Soon they were in her arms and she held them close, telling them of her dream, and the plans for Cami’s big day tomorrow.

She was loath to let them go, and when they were fed and changed, she bade Gilly help her settle them in between herself and the deeply sleeping Cami. ‘It will be all too soon,’ she said softly to them as she stroked their hair, ‘that you will be leaving me, and making your own way in the wide world. I’ll hold you as close as I can now, as proof against that time coming.’

Pio turned on her side and gathered their drowsing forms against her. She lay for a few moments her hand lightly on them, watching them breathe their little breaths, then dropped off to sleep herself.

Which was how Maura found the four of them when he came to collect Cami later that morning . . .

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-01-2003, 06:02 AM   #412
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Stoatie came slinking back after making the rounds of the fields and buildings, still ruminating on everything that had gone down for the day. He'd spent a good spell of time crouching behind a shed at the main gate, spying on the newcomer Mithadan as he went about his business. A scrawny sort he was, but the man obviously knew exactly what he was doing when he put his hand to the hilt of a sword.

Once that afternoon, a no-good, wandering varmint had shuffled up to the gate, beggin' for some scraps of help. Gittin' the word from Shifty, the boss over all the guards, Mithadan had sent the fellow running and given him a scare, wielding his sword deftly to cut a six-inch patch from the no-good's breeches and rearranging the belt for good measure. That poor varmint would be holdin' up his trowsers all the way to Bree, and would have a good story to tell in the Pony to keep any other useless ones away.

Still, whatever Mithadan's skill with a broadsword, there was something about him that Stoatie didn't trust. Bein' near 'im gave Stoatie a sour feelin' in the pit of his stomach. On the outside, the fellow looked alright, with his scruffy lookin' beard and torn clothes, and grubby hands, the regular sort they were always gettin' to sign on. Maybe it was his voice or the way he spoke his words. He just sounded too smooth, too soft spoken. Stoatie wished he'd found out where the man hailed from, not that any anyone here would tell the truth about such a thing even if they were pressed.

Later on, he'd have a word or two with Ferny about the newcomer, and nail down the plans for the Elf and her brats. Old Stoat hated Elves, even more than he hated hobbits. Not that he'd seen many of them in his life.

And, as far as the Man went, they'd use his sword but wouldn't leave him alone, not even for an instant. On guard duty durin' the day, Shifty would always keep 'im in sight. And, there'd be no night work for the Man, not till they were sure he could be trusted. Instead, they'd put 'im in the bunkhouse with three of their strongest, most reliable henchmen. They'd keep the door locked and carefully pocket the key. No way, he could sneak out and do anything on his own. If he proved 'isself, then they'd loosen the bonds. If not.......Stoatie knew well and good how to git rid of things that outlived their usefulness. He wouldn't mind a job like that at all.

It was at this point that he heard a loud, long caterwaulin' comin' from the place where the hobbit brats were stashed. He hurried over to find out what kind of trouble they'd let loose. Maybe that new woman couldn't handle them any better than he had.

When Stoatie got to the shed and shoved open the door, the guard was nowhere in sight. But what he saw made him grin with pure delight. There were crockery and pots and pans hurled all over the place. Bird stood there with a belt in her hand beaming down at the little snot. Fosco was all hunched over, shakin' and shiverin' and yelping as loud as he could. Guard or no, the woman obviously had things in hand.

What a fine lady! Not that you could really call one like that a lady. She'd been through too much and seen the inside of too many bars to qualify for a title like that. He could tell it just by lookin' at 'er. This one he instinctively trusted. She was his kind of woman, a sly one, no better than hisself.

Stoatie found himself givin' Bird a good long look. For someone so long in the tooth, she was quite well preserved. Just the sort he'd like to have around when he finally finished his gig and got enough money to set himself up in style. Not that she'd be the only one. Two or three more, perhaps a bit younger and more docile, would complement her nicely.

Stoatie went up to Bird and grunted something out, "Not bad, not bad! You gittin' this stiff necked Fosco grovlin' on the floor. I like your style, Bird! You've got a future here. You fit in real good. I think you can handle these brats by yourself. No use wasting a guard when you can keep 'em in line."

Then he gave Bird a small dagger, explaining "Just in case they git out o' line and give you trouble. Scare 'im and put 'im back real fast." He lowered his voice so the screaming Fosco could not hear. "But Boss Man says we can't cut 'em up or nothin' like that. They're gonna bring us a pot o' gold so we need the brats fresh and whole. But, for now, you done a real good job." He gave her a wink and a meaningful look.

With evening setting in, Stoatie turned and left, intending to have Mithadan placed under lock and key till he proved he was trustworthy, and then to visit Ferny for a little chat.

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-01-2003, 09:21 PM   #413
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio barely raised her head when Maura came in to carry Cami to the wagon. Holly popped in, then, for the briefest of moments before leaving with her Da. The little one climbed on the bed and crawled carefully over to where the twins were sleeping. ‘Bye babies,’ she heard the tiny voice say. ‘See you a’morrow.’ She bent down and gave them each a kiss on the cheek. ‘I’m wearing my pretty dress,’ she whispered near their ears. Pio woke briefly and opening her eyes, smiled at the solemn faced little girl.

‘Bye, Holly’ she said waving her fingers at the retreating Hobbit, descending carefully from the bed. ‘We’ll see you tomorrow at the Party.’

‘Party! Party!’ came the high voiced, singsong chant as Holly ran off to join Cami and Maura in the wagon.

It was much later in the evening when Pio woke up again. Some dark dream had held sway with her, and she found it difficult to find her way from out it. The images were vague, threatening, and she felt helpless as events unrolled around her. Her arms were empty in the dream, and she could not find what she needed for them. Her sword was at her side in this perilous fantasy, and she drew it, but it was not enough to fill the aching emptiness, or push back the encroaching shadows.

She woke up with a start, her hand reaching instinctively for her children. And breathed deeply when she found them, sleeping soundly at her side. Alone in the quiet room, she sat slowly up in bed, testing the pain in her leg. It had grown less, and she eased it gently to the floor, standing up carefully her hand on the headboard of the bed for balance and support. The discomfort was tolerable now, and her head no longer swam as it had before.

Pio took a few hesitant steps around the room, testing out the leg. At the end of the bed, on the old wooden trunk there, fresh clothes had been laid out for her. ‘Gilly must have gone back to the Inn for these,’ she said, picking up the shirt from the stack. Pulling off the night gown someone had put her in, she pulled the shirt over her head, then pulled on a pair of breeches. She scooped the twins into her arms and walking slowly, exited the bedroom.

Amaranthas was the first to see the pale faced Elf walking stiffly out to the front room. She clucked her tongue at the apparition, but the look in Pio’s faced warned her away. ‘I am just going to sit out here for a while, Amaranthas. I shall go mad if I have to stay in bed a moment longer.’

Gilly came in, bearing a bouquet of evening blossoms in a tall vase from the flower garden, a look of concern on her face as she saw Pio struggling to bend her leg and sit in the chair. She placed the vase securely on the top of the writing desk, and rushed over to her side. ‘Here, let me have those babies, while you get yourself down!’ She made to put them in the basket by Amaranthas’ chair, but Pio shook her head no, saying she wanted the babies kept near her for now. As Gilly drew near and placed the babies by Pio’s chair, the Elf reached up and grasped her by the wrist.

‘I have had a dream,’ she said clearly, ‘that has made me uneasy. I know this will sound strange to you, but I want you to go to the Inn now, and in my bedroom, laid out in the chest to the left of the door, get my sword for me, my baldric and my knives wrapped in the soft piece of deer leather. Bring also my vambraces and my light mail shirt. And bring ‘Falmar, tied to the back of the cart. I am disquieted this evening, and I wish to see the night got safely through for me and my own.’

Gilly was half tempted to tell the Elf it was a passing dark fancy from her fevered state. But she had caught the edge of fear from Pio’s voice. Grabbing her cloak, she hurried out into the warm, safe-seeming Shire evening and made for the Inn.

[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-12-2003, 04:05 PM   #414
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Thread closed. Please see the continuation thread.

I shifted over some posts, starting with the wedding, to our new thread. Since long threads are hard on bandwidth, B-W has asked that we limit threads to 10-12 pages.

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #415
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~