Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2004, 03:46 AM   #81
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
1420!

As soon as the door closed Ædhral fled down the stairs, across the common room and into the kitchen, her cheeks still burning and breathing heavily she slumped down on the nearest chair throwing her head into her hands. “Oh! Cook I have never been so embarrassed in my whole life!” cook took her head from the oven were she was checking a batch of biscuits she was baking, to look up at her young assistant.

“Now what is this all about?” she asked closing the oven door and wiping her hands on her apron as she walk over to were Ædhral was sitting, sitting on a chair next to her she took the young woman’s hands, forcing her to look up. Ædhral told cook about the guest and the embarrassing situations she twice found herself in.

“How will I be able to face him again, I do not even know his name!” she sighed disheartedly.

“Oh my dear I am sure everything will be alright,” Cook comforted, “You will probably find that our guest is just as embarrassed as you are!”

“Perhaps your right,” Ædhral smiled weakly.

“Off course I’m right, I’m always right,” cook winked, “Just count yourself lucky that Finnian had not witnessed the whole towel slipping affair, he would be in fits all day!” the older woman laughed,

When Ædhral thought of it that way it did seem rather amusing, she could not help but laugh imagining the roaring laughter and mirthful glint in Finnian’s eyes, so like his father was he at such times that she almost forgot how very young he was and how much responsibility he had taken on rebuilding the inn. Her embarrassment now seemed such a frivolous thing in comparison.

“Now that is the Ædhral we all know and love!” Cook smiled, “Not that sad and unhappy thing who was here just a moment ago, come child there is luncheon to be served and it won‘t serve itself.” she winked jovially.

Nodding Ædhral rose, a broad smile on her lips and her embarrassment for the moment forgotten. She watched cook as they made the final preparations for lunch, for all the woman’s bluster, she was a kind-hearted soul and for that Ædhral was thankful.

Before long Ædhral was again her warm and cheerful self, floating about the inn helping Kannah to serve the soup that was that day’s lunch, the merry elven tune again on her lips as nimbly balanced the soup bowls in her arms.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-20-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #82
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Ærosylle

Ærosylle crawled under the tables, slowing making her way towards the stairs. "I am sorry for stepping on you," she whispered to the floor boards. "But you were made to be stepped on see, so you oughn't become angry that I am stepping on you. And don't you dare say that I tread heavier than I should," she added angrily.

A board creaked beneath her knee. Ærosylle froze then slowly shifted, putting her ear to the board. Her eyes flitted to the right and to the left as she listened to the plank's wooden whispers.

"Of course you didn't feel the elf," she muttered. "He is an elf and I am a human. He's a good deal lighter than I."

She tossed her head and continued her her turtlish way towards the stairs. Suddenly Ædhral flew down the stairs, her cheeks crimson, a look of mortified embarrassment on her face.

The bottom stair screeched as her foot landed on him and Ærosylle folled the maid with her eyes as she disappeared into the kitchen. "Yes, I too would give a good deal to know what her hurry is," she said vaguely, patting the stair on the back. With a slight shrug, Ærosylle crawled to the top of the stairs and said, "I wonder where the elf has gotten to...I would like to see more of him, you know. I've never seen an elf before.."

She went towards the eastern door because the floor had told her that the room facing towards the west was empty. Freezing in front of the door she listened. She could hear water splash and a soft murmuring. "He is freshening up," she whispered. "Do you mind if I lean against you?" she asked the wall, stroking the sanded wood. "Thank you."
Old 08-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #83
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Chathol-linn has just left Hobbiton.
Seregon's story

The green-clad woman bowed in return to the man who approached her. She guessed at once that he was the proprietor; he had both an apron and a sense of authority, of belonging with the tavern. Seregon wished she had her own place, her own apron, and her own sense of belonging.

Oh, well. First things first. “Master Innkeeper, my name is Seregon. I would trouble you for a drink of water, if I may, and a confession. For I came over your back yards yonder and climbed your apple tree. While there I glimpsed a merry show through the chamber’s window, though I did not mean to spy. Who was that pretty maid and the half-clad stranger? And I ate one of your apples. I was so hungry it was like a feast, although a little on the green side.”

“What is my business in Laketown? Well, threefold. My sisters and I heard of the great undertaking to rebuild the town. We wished to have a part in it. With no dragon around, Laketown can be the best place to live in Middle-earth! Then, we have been followed for two days. Being weaponless, we thought we should find a haven, the sooner the better. I do not know who followed, but if it was a beast, it will run from a settlement.

“Finally, we can go no further. We used up our last provisions yesterday. But now we are here, and we have a plan to achieve our desires. Will you just direct me to your Lawspeaker or Mayor or what have you? For we wish to take up residence in one of those unused fields outside of town, with permission. We are from a farming clan and know how to produce the most delicious food.

“Now this is a lot to speak of on first acquaintance and may be you’ll want to take your measure of me. By your leave I will sit among your guests for a while.”

With that Seregon sat – collapsed, really - on the bench next to a young lad with a sad face. Poor lad, she thought, the world should be kinder to children. But then she felt only weariness. She could sleep standing up. Her head nodded. Her eyes had to close.

Just a nap, she thought. With that Seregon slipped onto the Path of Dreams. Her nap did not last long however. Just as the innkeeper was backing away from the sleeping woman, she jumped up with a yelp. “Something grabbed my leg! Something touched my boot! Does your inn have ghosts, sir?”
Old 08-23-2004, 05:03 PM   #84
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Thumbs up

It is now noon at the Tavern. A lunch of soup (veggies, left over meat, maybe a bit of barley) and tough wheat bread is being served along with wine or ale, depending on the customers preference.

It is sunny, with a wisps of clouds that scurry before a brisk breeze.

Last edited by Imladris; 08-23-2004 at 05:04 PM. Reason: A sunny movie? Honestly...
Old 08-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #85
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Finian laughed and said, "No, there are no ghosts here my lady."

As she she shifted her glance around, just to make sure he was telling her the truth, Finian considered what the woman had told him.

She was in need of a job, and he surely wouldn't mind having someone keeping a closer eye on his sister. He felt his stomach squirm uncomfortably as he realized that she had disappeared yet again.

"I do not mind that you ate an apple, Seregon," said Finian, grinning. "I do not know of any lawmen about sleeping in a field, but you can either sleep in the loft of the stables or you can sleep in one of the rooms. However, would you like a job?" he asked earnestly. "I have a little sister who is not mad...but...she has queer moods. I do not have time to look after her."

Old 08-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #86
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Thalinar sighed in relief thinking that at last he would have some peace and be able to avoid further situations involving the burning cheeked Ædhral, or any other event that would cause trouble. After all he had had enough for one day.

But just as he leaned his back up against the chair his sharp ears picks up scuffling outside the door Oh not again, I pray to Eru its not her, I think I've cause us enough mischance for today. He paused about to get up then stopped thinking that maybe if he didn't answer the door they would go away.

A few minutes passed silently but he heard the door creak slightly under the weight of a body, he turned his gaze to the door and closed his eyes in concentration please go away I want to be left alone. Thalinar's grey eyes shifted to the fire than back to the door as he heard whispering and mumbling.

He set down his wine glass and strode over to the door, he paused again, reaching out for the doorknob then turned it quickly and opened the door. Thalinar was very surprised to see a young girl sent flying forward in his direction, she was younger than Ædhral, Thalinar remembered her as the one that was discussing the emotions of the floorboards downstairs and wondered what she was doing leaning up agianst his room door.

The Elf caught her gracefully before she fell on her face, "hello, I don't believe we've been properly introduced, and what were you doing leaning on the door to my room?" he asked closing the door behind him waiting for her reply.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:08 PM   #87
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Seregon accepts a job at the Vineyard

“No ghosts? Then it must have been your cat or dog. Or even your little sister! I have sisters as well, Master Tavern Keeper, and I know what it is to be concerned for them.” Seregon gave him a grin. “They are not particularly mad either, and they sometimes have queer moods! So I will be well prepared to look after your sister. I accept your offer with gratitude, and if you like, I will stay until we are back on our feet again.

“You see, we three – Cordof, Glisi, and I, are the Bee Sisters. We grow flowers and fruit, and keep bees. That field outside of town already has a good blackberry hedge growing nicely. All we need to do is catch a swarm of bees. The next thing you know, we’ll be selling honey, mead, wax, and medicines.”

Her eyes flicked to the little lad with the burned face. She lowered her voice and said, “Honey has been known to reduce scars. Maybe Laketown has a healer who would be interested? Anyway, if there is no Lawspeaker to ask permission of, I will speed back to the field and tell my sisters to start building a lean-to. Then I will come back here and meet my new charge.”

Seregon hesitated. She could hardly believe her good fortune. "I have never stayed in a tavern before. You will give me a roof over my head? And board as well? I am in your debt, sir."

And Seregon bowed to the innkeeper and gave him a hopeful smile.

Last edited by Chathol-linn; 08-31-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:31 PM   #88
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

The Other Bee Sisters and a Watcher

The other two Bee Sisters, Cordof and Glisi, did not waste time waiting for Seregon to find any Lawspeaker.

“This field is unused. It is perfectly placed between the town and the forest,” said Cordof. “We can set up some skep hives with cones of straw if, ahem, we had any straw. And we’ll get that blackberry hedge growing all around the place. Before you know it we’ll have our own farm again.”

Cordof stood in the middle of the field, looking towards the half-built town into which Seregon had recently disappeared. Cordof looked very much like her namesake, for she was redcheeked like an apple and wore a red dress and a long white apron over top. Both were in need of a good washing, for the traveling had been hard. One could not say what color her hair was, for she wore a pretty red and white scarf around her head. To tell the truth, Cordof was vain about her appearance. She had not a line on her face and if she had even one grey hair, no one ever knew it for she never appeared in public without her scarf.

“Yes, let us start a lean-to, and get a hearth fire built. It will be good to be settled,” said Glisi. She looked nothing like Cordof or Seregon, for she was taller and had long honey-colored hair. Her breeches and shirt were like Seregon’s green attire, but Glisi’s were a warm brown, and she wore a gold-colored slash overtunic that showed the brown underneath, and a rope belt around all. She had a dreamy air about her that was a marked contrast to Cordof’s no-nonsense ways. She continued:

“We will not have to worry about falling prey to beasts of the forest – or worse – with all this bustle about." Glisi looked around, remembering the stealthy noises that had dogged them for the past two days and nights. But she saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Cordof said, "The hedge will soon be better than any fence."

"And the bees themselves will be scary to many folk.” Glisi laughed aloud at the idea of fearing the honeybees.

But she was right. On the other side of the blackberry hedge there crouched a strange creature, and if there had been any bees about, he would have run from them. But not much else frightened him. And he loved the look of golden hair.

Last edited by Chathol-linn; 08-31-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:52 PM   #89
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
curious music

Noticing the sweet notes that lingered once again throw the tavern he listened. He was welling up with the memories now. He had to ask her for what purpose she had sang these melodies?

Moving closer he noticed she was busy tending to her choirs for the tavern. She noticed his approach and smile. He asked her plainly as he could. “What purpose does singing this particular song have good lady?”

“If you aren’t the one I am looking for then in the end you may be of some help.’ Opening his cloak to reveal the shining on his chest. Giving her a hint at the Armour beneath. Showing her the crest of Gondor on his chest.

“I can not reveal this secret to anyone good lady. But you are singing a song I once sang myself. When I was coming back from a place, I think, that you know?”

Getting down on his knees to meet her in plain sight eye to eye now. He looked at her carefully. “You look like the daughter of some one I knew…if you are her you might be able to help me?”

Mayhap these questions can be answered when you are less busy. Pay mind that I am a patient sort. And that I can wait my turn till your work is done. I will await your answers. As you await mine.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #90
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Ærosylle cocked her head at the elf and replied, "I was listening to the door." She nodded solemnly. "He was telling me you were busy...I came up here for I have never seen an elf before." Her lips curled into a grin.

The elf blinked back at her.

"Do you know why Finian put you in this room?" the girl asked her saucer eyes revolving around the walls where the noon day sun was just slipping away.

The elf shook his head.

"It is because you look so sad and solemn all the time and because he has heard rumours of your kind leaving to the western lands. The east is a new beginning. The west is an ending."

~~~~~~~~

Finian

"I have never stayed in a tavern before. You will give me a roof over my head? And board as well? I am in your debt, sir," said Seregon, bowing.

Finian blinked at her. "Well...what else would I do?" he asked, arching a brow as his face broke into a mischievous grin. "Fine Innkeeper I would make, making you sleep in some old stubby field." He winked at her. "How about a glass of the finest wine to celebrate your job? Hopefully by then my sister will have shown up somewhere..."

He led the way into the pantry and, after a minute or two of serious deliberation, selected a bottle that was relatively new, fetched a small glass, poured the red wine, gave it to Seregon, and said, "Drink up!"

Old 09-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #91
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien Goldwine, Prince of Cats

Let me introduce myself: I am Goldwine, Prince of cats. Some have made the opprobrious howler of presuming to think that I am of the female persuasion, but let me hasten to assure you that that is definitely not the case.

Some of you may remember me as the feline of auriferous fur with bisque saucers that have the apotheosis to serve as eyes. Some may conjure anamneses of how I glided in monarchical effulgence. Those few who do remember must now be marveling at how they find me here.

Well, my vassals, you must understand that in this fascinating world, magic can and does, happen. Thus here I am, to bathe you with my ochroidness, to be a delectation to your ocular lobes.

Is that a bit succulent muscle I insufflate? And -- horrors -- as well as quiescent, cloying, macabre, repugnant, vile, vulgar sprouts that dare call themselves aliment? I wrinkle my nose at it...but, I can pick around the vulgar stuff I daresay.

What's this? A maid is taking the pot off the fire...Joys! She's serving it!

Old 09-07-2004, 05:30 AM   #92
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
1420!

Ædhral smiled warmly as the stranger approached, He was taller than he first appeared and his dark eyes gave his grim features a gentle warmth that could easily be missed if one were not looking for it and as he spoke she was surprised, his voice was not gruff but soft and gentle. Before she could answer his first query he continued to speak revelling to her the crest of Gondor upon the shining breast armour carefully concealed beneath his dark cloak. She recognised the crest at once as her Grandfather had oft told her tales of Gondor and the Brave Roquen that protected those lands. Was this man one such knight? she wondered staring wide eyed at the stars set above the white tree.

“I can not reveal this secret to anyone good lady.” he was saying as he pulled the cloak back over again conceal the shining armour from prying eyes. “ But you are singing a song I once sang myself. When I was coming back from a place, I think, that you know?” He smiled gently

Ædhral stood confused and a little taken aback with the strangers words, it’s just a song the elves of Mirkwood sang… Isn’t it? she thought to herself, but just then the stranger sank to his knees those dark eyes now level with hers, carefully studying her face, “you look like the daughter of some one I knew… if you are her you might be able to help me?” he whispered gently.

A little startled Ædhral took a step back , He bore no recognition to her, but he may have known her father, No papa was just a farmer how would he have known a soldier of Gondor? she thought shaking the idea off as absurd, he must be mistaken! She silently concluded.

“Mayhaps these questions can be answered when you are less busy. Pay mind that I am a patient sort and that I can wait my turn till your work is done,” He said as though reading her apprehension. “I will wait your answers. As you await mine.” he smiled with a pleasant incline of his head.

Not wishing to offend Ædhral set down the dishes she had been carrying and gestured for the stranger to stand, as he did so she glanced about the inn to see if one of the others were available to cover her chores while she spoke with this stranger. She caught sight of Kannah across the room rolling her eyes and shaking her head, obviously believing the dark haired fellow was yet another young man trying to win her young friends affections, But she was also busily wiped down the taverns table and collected the empty ale jars. She looked for Finian but he was occupied with another guest. Oh why had she promised cook that she would call Rochadan to lunch! “Just then she saw the young lad who the stable master had agreed to take under his wing, the lad sat alone wistfully gazing out of the open window in the direction of the stables.

With a warm smile she turned back to her guest, “ Off course I will speak with you and help if I can, just let me rid myself of these dishes and see to one last task then I will join you.” The stranger nodded his understanding and thanks then took a seat to await her return.

Picking up the dishes Ædhral walked towards the young boy, “Andhan wasn’t it?” she asked gently as she came up beside him.

“Eh um yes!” the lad fumbled surprised by her sudden appearance.

“you should go down,” she smiled indicating the stables through the open window, “They will not get any closer be simply staring at them,” smiled gently.

“Oh no miss I would not wish to get in the Stable masters way, after him being so kind to me and all!” Andhan replied shaking his head.

“Oh I don’t think you would get in his way and I dare say he would be pleased to know that you are well, but if it would make it easier you could deliver a message to him for me,” she smiled kindly.

The young boy nodded eagerly a pleasing smile coming to his face. “You see I promised cook I would call Rochadan for lunch, he does tend to get rather wrapped up in his work and has to be reminded of time,” she winked, “But something has come up and it would really help me a lot if you could let Master Rochadan know that it is time for lunch,”

“I can do that!” the young boy grinned leaping down from his seat.

“Thank you Andhan,” she smiled ruffling his hair affectionately, “Remember to return with them, cook will give me an earful if I forgot to invite the stable master young friend to lunch,” she winked playfully.

“I will!” Andhan laughed as he hurried out the door, she stood for a moment watching out the window, as the young lad eagerly made his way to the stables, He will fit in just fine and soon find his way! she thought with a warm smile, then turning from the window she moved towards the kitchen stopping briefly to let Kannah know that she would be having lunch with one of the guests, but quickly moving on before the woman could make anything of it.

“Young Andhan has gone to let Rochadan know that lunch is ready,” she told cook as she set the dishes into the stone sink, “And he will be joining them,” she continued wiping her hands on her apron.

“Good, good cook mumbled as she set cookies and milk on the table for the two children.

“Oh and Sallie has a new friend who might appreciate the bone from the soup,” Ædhral grinned remembering the large dog that little Sallie had befriended.” Cook raised in eyebrow. “It’s a dog!” Ædhral laughed as she took two plates from the cupboard and began filling them with an assortment of meats and cheeses. Cook raised an eyebrow again this time at the second plate, “Are you hungry then?” she queried.

“Oh no!” Ædhral laughed, “one of the guests has asked to speak with me and I thought he might be hungry I know I am.”

“Another young man from town making a fool of himself, no doubt, you should tell them where to go and not entertain them my dear,” Cook sighed, exasperatedly shaking her head.

“He’s not from town and he just wants to enquire about a song I was humming,” she replied a little offended by the implication.

“Well, be careful some of these strangers have a bad air about them and could easily lead a young woman like you astray .” Cook warned gently.

“Oh, cook they are just people like you or I, if we where suspicious of every stranger we would not meet anyone,” she smiled lifting the two plates and quickly slipping out of the door before cook could say any more. Stopped at the bar she filled two mugs with sweet cider, when moved to join the stranger.

“I thought you might be hungry?” she smiled setting down the plates and handing him one of the mugs of cider.

“My name is Ædhral and the tune I was humming I heard sung by the elves of Mirkwood as they passed through here returning to their woodland realm after aiding our people in the battle of the five armies,” she said as she took the seat across from him. “My purpose for singing it… I don’t rightly know it just comes to me sometimes, mostly when I am happy,” she smiled.

The stranger nodded thoughtfully but said nothing so she continued, “You said that you thought I looked like the daughter of someone you knew, but I do not know how this could be both my parents were but simple farmers, there farm once stood west of here between the lake and the woods. They died when I was little, My mother died from some mysterious illness and it is said that my Father died in an accident, that same year.”

“Said?” the stranger asked curiously.

“After my mother died I was sent to live with my grandfather in lake town, he told me that lightening struck barn that my father had been working in and that he had perished in the flames,” she sighed sadly remembering pain that had come with that loss, but remembering her guest she smiled.

“But that was long ago, listen to me, babbling on when I have not even given you the chance to give me your name?” she laughed nervously, lifting her mug to her lips.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-07-2004 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:08 AM   #93
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield Welcome new gamers to Rohan

OOC

A hearty welcome to Rohan goes out to new gamers who have demonstrated they can play or run games responsibly and successfully in The Shire.

The Perky Ent now joins the list of Rohan Game Managers. Perky did an especially good job of rallying the troups and covering for absent gamers in The Last Ride of the Heir for the entire duration of his game. Keep up that level of enthusiasm, Perky!

Responsible interactive gaming and good writing was demonstated in that game by astarielle, Eowyn Skywalker, and Hama of the Riddermark, who now join Rohan as Game Players. Congratulations to the three of you.

And some late summer additions come from Resettling the Lost Kingdom: Carrun, Lady Aerowen, and Osse demonstrated they can handle writing in Rohan well. Welcome!

Just a reminder: There are several gamers in The Shire who write well, with interesting characters and original ideas, but who have not stayed with a game or who posted so sporadically their absence caused great difficulties for the other gamers. Gaming in Rohan is more interactive, improvisational, and independent and so all members of a game must be reliable and knowledgable in how to keep a game going.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 09-07-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #94
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

OOC:

Thank you very much Bêthberry! I thank you for bestowing with the great priviliage of owning an RPG in Rohan. I promise not to abuse my power Now, I'm gonna start doing what I said I've always done! I'm gonna make an RPG and make Rohan less, if you'll pardon the saying, "dead"! Well, I'm off to write!

Perky
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #95
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Rochadan & Sallie

As Rochadan finished the needed repairs to the ladder and carried it back to its place against the inn’s wall for Kellan’s use later in the evening, he looked around for the young woman or her dog. Finding no trace of them, he shrugged ruefully. She must have collected her dog and gone on about her business elsewhere while he was pre-occupied with the ladder and seeing Mistress Bêthberry on her way.

“Too bad,” he sighed. He had enjoyed her company. Thinking of her interest in the stars and the sky, he glanced upward, noticing for the first time that the sun had made considerable progress across the sky. It was near on lunchtime and Sallie had not had her nap. Because she had slept badly the night before, he had intended to see that she had at least a brief nap before lunch. Unfortunately, he had gotten busy and forgotten about it. Now, as he turned to look at her, he could see the undeniable signs of a growing crankiness.

She was sitting in the grass nearby, trying to construct a small edifice out of twigs and dry leaves. As Rochadan watched, the breeze blew it down for the third time. Crossly, Sallie corked her thumb into her mouth and threw a little foot out to kick at the rubble.

“Uh-oh...” murmured Rochadan. That wasn’t a good sign. He walked over and knelt down in front of her. “Hey, my little princess,” he said cheerfully. “How about some lunch?”

The three-year-old clambered to her feet and leaned heavily against her papa’s knee.

“Yake,” she said around the thumb in her mouth.

“Yake?” repeated Rochadan, puzzled.

Sallie nodded. “I onna oh ooh a yake.”

Mystified, Rochadan shook his head. “Sorry, I didn’t get a word of that. C’mon,” he said and reached out to tap his daughter’s little fist gently with his forefinger. “Thumb out of the mouth. What’s yake?”

Sallie stared up at him with a pair of soulful brown eyes, then took the thumb out of her mouth. “Wanna go to the lake,” she explained sullenly before popping the thumb back in again.

Rochadan laughed softly. “Oh, the lake!” He shook his head. “Maybe later, eh? It’s lunchtime now.”

Stubbornly, Sallie shook her head and stamped her foot. “No yunch! Yake!”

“Yes, lunch,” answered Rochadan sternly. “Later lake.” He reached out to pick her up, but discovered rather quickly that he had sorely misjudged the extent of the child’s crankiness. Instead of curling herself into the crook of his arm the way she usually did, Sallie let loose with a ear-splitting shriek and tried to fling herself backward out of his grasp. Startled, he nearly dropped her. Recovering quickly, he tried to settle her in against his shoulder, amazed at how quickly a missed nap could transform his usually happy child into screaming bundle of sharp knees and elbows. Still squirming mightily, Sallie pitched forward this time, her forehead connecting squarely with her father’s cheekbone. Rochadan’s teeth clicked together at the impact. Sallie howled.

“Shhh... shhh...” he whispered, trying desperately to calm her. “We’ll go to the lake a little later.”

“No!” wailed little Sallie. “Lake!” She flung herself backward again, but this time Rochadan was ready for it and caught her easily. He spun gently around with the momentum and nearly collided with Andhún, who had come up behind him from the direction of the inn.

“Missed nap,” Rochadan explained helplessly to the boy, all the while trying to maneuver his daughter into a comfortable nook along his right arm, the way he used to hold her when she was very small.

Wide-eyed, the boy nodded. “M-miss Ædhral sent me to fetch you in, s-sir, for lunch,” he stammered nervously.

“Thank you,” answered Rochadan, giving the boy a quick smile as Sallie planted one little foot in the center of his ribcage and pushed.

“LAKE!” she howled, now in the throes of a full-blown tantrum.

Cautiously, Andhún reached out a slim hand and laid it on the little girl’s back between her shoulder blades. Startled at the touch of a strange hand, Sallie stiffened, her cries stopping in an abrupt little snort. Rubbing her back, Andhún began to sing in a soft, boyish voice. It was a quaint little song with a lilting, old-fashioned melody. Listening, Sallie sniffled quietly and burrowed her face into her father’s bicep.

Rochadan stared at Andhún with a combination of amazement and relief.

Sensing Rochadan’s eyes on him, the boy blushed furiously. “M-my mother used to sing it to my l-little sister,” he whispered sheepishly as the song ended.

Rochadan smiled. “That’s not a song,” he said quietly. “It’s a magic spell. You’ll have to teach it to me sometime.”

“Yes, sir,” answered Andhún with a shy grin. He continued to stroke the child’s back soothingly with his palm. “But I think it’s less the song than... than... than me being a distraction...”

“Again,” mumbled Sallie.

Prompting the boy with an encouraging smile and a nod, Rochadan listened as the boy began the song anew.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #96
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eacwen had been momentarily confused when Andhun had limped off, but after little time of reflection she realized what had happened and laughed at her own confusion. Standing up, she skipped lightly to the door, humming a little tune, her eyes dancing and full of pleasure as if some delightful thought were in her mind. She stood just outside the door, and she glanced here and there to assure herself no one was about, and then she spun in a circle, nearly losing her balance. Oh, how much like a little girl she felt this fine day!

The sound of singing reached her ears from the stable, and the voice was soft and lovely, the sweet angelic tones obviously that of a young boy's. Intrigued she daintily crossed the grounds and went to the stable door. She hesitated to open it, for fear of disturbing the singer, and she after a brief investigation of the door she found a little crack in the wood that would be just suitable for peering through. She got down on her hands and knees and squinted on eye so she could see through. The sight she saw was precious.

A man, more than likely the stablemaster, was holding a drowsy-looking little girl in his arms, and Andhun was stroking her back and singing to her. There were the stains of angry tears upon the girl's face, but now she was calm and quiet and looked peaceful. As Andhun finished, she said, 'Again,' and he began once more. It seemed likely the girl would be asleep before he finished the next round, but her eyes were still open at the end, though just barely. Andhun had wearied of standing so long on his sore legs, so he cautiously sat himself down on the ground and put his back against a stall door. The girl opened her eyes slightly. 'Again,' she mumbled, and she closed her eyes again. A few moments passed, and then her eyes opened widely and she said, 'Again!' She twisted in her father's arms and saw Andhun sitting on the floor. 'Again?' she questioned.

'I'm sorry,' said Andhun, 'but I became very tired.' The girl studied him for a moment, then struggled to free herself from her father's arms. He hesitated slightly, wondering if she were intending to run for the lake or some other such madness now that her distraction was gone, but then he released her. She went to Andhun and patted his back, and then promptly sat down in his lap, saying, 'Again.'

Andhun laughed softly, and she giggled too, and then he began stroking her back and singing again.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #97
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Rochadan breathed a sigh of relief as Sallie settled herself into Andhun's lap and the boy began another cycle of his mother's lullaby. He watched affectionately as she slid her thumb back into her mouth and closed her eyes, lowering long eyelashes that were still wet from angry tears and leaning comfortably into the other child's chest. She was usually such a sweet-tempered little thing that these occasional tantrums took him completely by surprise. To be perfectly honest, they scared him a bit, not because he was afraid of a three-year-old's temper, but more because he always felt so helpless to soothe her. It had been so fortunate that Andhun had come upon them when he did, armed with his gentle nature and his mother's wonderful lullaby. Squatting down beside the two children, Rochadan sighed and raised a hand to massage the lines of stress out of his forehead. So fortunate.

As the song came to an end again, Sallie opened her eyes and looked soberly up into Andhun's face. After a moment, she took her thumb out of her mouth and pointed at one of the boy's many burns with a little pink forefinger.

"You got a owie," she said gravely.

Andhun nodded. "Yes," he answered with equal solemnity. "I've got lots of owies."

"Do they hurt?"

Andhun nodded again. "Yes. Sometimes," he answered softly.

Rochadan tensed as Sallie's lower lip began to tremble. He could tell that she liked Andhun a great deal and was worried that she might, in her current frame of mind, become a little too empathetic to the poor boy's many "owies." He readied himself to sweep in and take control again if the tears returned, but then relaxed as Sallie pointed calmly to her shoe.

"I got a owie, too," she said to Andhun. "On my foot."

At a concerned glance from Andhun, Rochadan gave his head a brief shake. "No, she's fine," he interjected quietly. "She just has a little limp," he added. "She's always had it."

Andhun's lips formed a silent, "oh." He looked back down at the little girl. "I limp, too," he said simply. Sallie said nothing but smiled sweetly up at her new friend with an expression of angelic adulation.

Rochadan could tell that she was pleased to have her limp in common with the boy. Oddly, it seemed to ratchet Andhun up a few notches in her eyes. He smiled. It could turn out to be a very good thing for her to have Andhun around. He was just going to comment on it when the horse housed in the stall Andhun had chosen to lean up against arched his glossy neck over the top of the stall door and began to nuzzle the top of the boy's head. Startled, Andhun pulled away and looked nervously up at the animal. It was a beautiful dark brown gelding with a black face and mane.

Sallie giggled. "That's my papa's horse," she told Andhun. "Alybar."

"Alydar," corrected Rochadan. "Don't worry. He's a friendly fellow... just wanted to say hello." Looking up at Alydar, Rochadan noticed a stray bridle hanging from a nail just to side of the stall door. Out of habit, he rose and took it back to where it belonged in the small tack room just to the right of the front entrance to the stable. On his way back to the two children, however, he happened to glance down and notice a peculiar shadow under the door that led outside to the stableyard, or rather a lack of light there, as though someone or something had been placed against the outside of the door. Curious, he pulled the door open. To his surprise, a young woman toppled in nearly on top of his feet.

He looked down at her with an expression of bemused surprise. "Well, hello there," he greeted her pleasantly. "Is there anything in particular you were looking for?"
Old 09-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #98
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Earcwen had uttered a startled cry as she fell at the man's feet, and she stood, hay clinging to her hair and dress, and a look of complete bewilderment and confusion on her face. 'Goodness gracious!' she cried. 'Sir, I am so sorry to have fallen and caused what might be some inconvenience.' She cocked her head to one side and the look of distress on her face momentarily vanished as she smiled mischievously. 'I must admit, however, that I am even more sorry at having been caught in the act of eavesdropping.' She blushed then, and ducked her head, occupying herself with the task of pulling bits of hay from her skirt. She found herself quite at a loss of what to say, and so decided it would be wiser to say nothing.

Andhun had gotten to his feet, and he approached Earcwen, laughing slightly. 'Here,' he said, 'bend down and I'll take the hay out of your hair.' Earcwen obliged, and he began the task. Sallie became intrigued and was soon pulling hay with Andhun. At one point Earcwen felt a sudden, sharp pain in her head, but though she blinked she kept her mouth firmly closed, and soon Sallie giggled a bit sheepishly. 'Oops,' she said, 'that wasn't hay, that was a hair.' And she held up a strand of, yes indeed, hair. Earcwen felt mirth bubbling up inside of her, and she laughed and tickled the little girl. Then she stood patiently until Andhun stepped back, saying, 'There, I think we've finished.'

'Thank you kindly,' said Earcwen seriously, and then with another blush she looked up at Rochadan. 'I apologize, sir, for eavesdropping,' she said. 'I was intrigued by the singing, and I could not help but look when I found that little crack in the wood.' She paused, and glanced at Andhun. Her face worked, as if she were in a study as to what she should say, and at last she spoke, saying, 'What a charming little song you sang!' She decided that while a girl might enjoy being told she had a fine singing voice, it might not mean as much to a boy.

'I thank you,' said Andhun, his voice grave. 'My mother knew many beautiful songs, and that is only one of them.'

'Sing for me a favourite of yours,' said Earcwen. 'I enjoy hearing you sing very much.'

'Very well,' said Andhun, and he began to sing:

When I was young I had no sense
I bought a fiddle for eighteen pence
The only tune that I could play
Was Over the Hills and Very Far Away
So early in the morning,
so early in the morning,
so early in the morning, before the break of day.

The song was sweet, and had a childish air about it, immediately attractive to the ears of both Earcwen and Sallie, who smiled widely and applauded generously. And Sallie said, 'Again.'

'No, no!' said Andhun. 'I will song you another song, but I won't sing you that one. Listen, Sallie, to this song.' And he began another song, which was beautiful, and while the words expressed a longing the tune was full of peace, as if the one in the song were fairly sure that he would someday have what he wished, and full of happiness as the one reflected upon what he would do for his love.

Oh, I wish I had my Sally-o,
Sally-o, Sally-o.
Oh I wish I had my Sally-o
where the wild birds sing on the mountain.

Let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low,
I'd feel no cold from the frost or snow
if I only had my Sally-o

Oh, I would gather flowers so sweet,
flowers so sweet, flowers so sweet,
and pile them round my Sally's feet
where the wild birds sing on the moutain.

if I only had my Sally-o

Oh, I'd bring salmon from the stream,
from the stream, from the stream,
and berries fit for any queen

if I only had my Sally-o

Oh, we'd have music all the day,
all the day, all the day,
and peace that drives all cares away

if I only had my Sally-o
Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 AM   #99
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Rochadan listened to Andhun's songs with a look of delight on his face. He had always loved music, but between the two of them, his wife Tristana had been the musical one. He remembered the way she used sing like a nightengale as she did the chores around their little cottage in the brief time they had been together. She had had a vast treasure trove of songs at her disposal that he had never bothered himself to learn. When she died, her songs died with her. Now, when Rochadan needed to sing to Sallie, he found himself having to construct songs from whole cloth off the top of his head. Unfortunately, they usually ended up fairly repetitive, nonsensical, and liberally sprinkled with hey-nonnies and ah-di-dahs. He was much better at stories.

As Andhun finshed his song, if only I had my Sally-o, where wild birds sing on the mountain, Sallie squealed with delight and clapped her hands. "Sally-o, Sally-o," she trilled, trying to sing the song herself, but getting the tune completely wrong. She reached out and clutched at Andhun's hand. "Again? Sing it again?"

Rochadan's smiled broadened as, this time, Andhun obliged the little girl and sang it again. With a twinkle in his eye, the stablemaster looked over at the eavesdropper, who had turned out to be a very bubbly and jolly young woman. Speaking softly, so as not to disturb the singing, he said, "What a way you have with children! But, knowing your love of music, I have to ask - will you be favoring us with a song of your own?"
Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #100
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Thalinar blinked as the young girl responded that she was listening to the door, he was also amazed that one that lived, or so he presumed, in an Inn that she had never seen an Elf before.

But mayhaps no Elves wander into this Inn, he pondered to himself and took a seat on the chair, inviting the young girl to have a seat on the bed. "Do you know why Finian put you in this room?" Thalinar shook his head, uncertain of what she was getting at.

"It is because you look so sad and solemn all the time and because he has heard rumours of your kind leaving to the western lands. The east is a new beginning. The west is an ending."

The golden hair of the Elf glistened faintly as the sun passed its zenith, "the west is my ending, and the east is your beginning" he spoke with a pang of sadness. He looked back at her paying attention to every detail, every feature of her form.

He smiled weakly, "but please let us not discuss such times, it will be many many long years before I even begin to consider sailing away into the west, so until then I plan on enjoying the company of people such as yourself", Thalinar smiled more openly at her.

"And in enjoying such company I was wondering if you would care to tell me how you acquired the gift of being able to speak with things such as the floor boards and the door, and if you can speak with other like objects" he folded his hands in front of him and gave her an amusing quizical look.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #101
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Ærosylle

Ærosylle cocked her head and chewed her lip thoughtfully. "I didn't aquire the gift, sir elf. I have always had it. You have it too."

He frowned at her thoughtfully and said, "I do not understand."

She smiled at him, plopped herself onto the floor, crossed her legs, and said, "Sometimes they decide not to talk to you. Some time ago I made them angry and they decided to ignore me for quite a while. They only just started talking to me again. I have to be very careful to keep on their good side, or else they will stop again."

She swallowed and scratched her cheek. "It gets lonely without them."

The elf eased himself to the floor and asked, "But are you the only one who can hear them?"

She smiled softly at him, her blue eyes slightly glazed. "They speak to whom they choose. If they speak to you and you do not hear them, it is no fault of their own that you did not reply."
Old 09-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #102
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Pipe

At last,he made it. After countless miles of journey, he had reached his destination. Tror could see the rebuilding process starting, and couldn't wait to help. It's been a while since he had seen his brother, Bror, who had died at the Battle of Five Armies, and he was slowly getting over it. Always keeping optimistic, Tror had decided to do whatever he could to help those in need. Not since the Iron Mountains had Tror had a good ale, so he searched around Esgaroth for a good bar. He found several, but since one gathered more attention than others, Tror smiled greatly as he walked into a placed called The Vineyard Tavern

Walking through the doors, he came upon a multitude of people, all drinking and having fun. This was the place for Tror. Walking to the front desk, he noticed a man much taller than him, which wasn't saying much, as Tror was a dwarf. "Hello mr. Dwarf! My name is Finnian, Innkeeper of the Vinyard Tavern! How can I help?" the man ask without a condescending voice, as Tror had experienced so much in his life. "Ello sir! The name's Tror Stonehand. You can call me Stony! It's been a long way from the Iron Mountains. Great place! You ever been? Anyways, I need a room. Not for now, but later! After I'm done drinkin'. Just wanted to let you know there's a dwarf in the place. Hows the food here?" Tror said in a very jolly tone. "Our food is the best there is! Take a seat, and someone will serve you!" Finnian said, pointing to a collection of tables with chairs. Some man sized, some dwarf sized. "Thank you very much sir!" Tror said, walking off.

About two minutes after being seated, a serving girl walked on up to him. "Anthing I can get you?" she said. "Ah yes! I'd like some ale! A good ale, and some cheese!" Tror said, licking his lips. Showing off a small smile, the girl took his order, and then said, "Anthing else sir?" "Ah...no. That's it for now, Adaral?" he said, taking a guess at her name. "Close guess! The name's Ædhral. One moment, and I'll be back with your order!" Ædhral said, and she walked off back to the kitchen. "Ædhral eh? That's a name to remember! Very kind staff. I think I'll like it here"
Old 09-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #103
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

'Oh!' said Earcwen, blushing. 'I don't know if I'm very good at singing, but if it would oblige you I could think of something.' She paused, and regarded him thoughtfully, and hopefully, for a moment, and then said, 'Sir, do you really think I have a way with children?' When he nodded, her face fell into a happy smile. 'I'm so pleased!' she cried. 'I am very glad to hear it, for... for I do love children.'

There was a silence, at least on the part of Rochadan and Earcwen, for Andhun was still singing, and Sallie was doing her best to sing with him, but she did not know the words very well. When he finished, Sallie looked up and asked him to sing it again, and he laughed, saying, 'Sallie, my voice is becoming lost from singing so much! I'm not used to it, for it was a rare time when my master wouldn't grow upset at my singing.'

'I will sing for you,' said Earcwen, 'at the request of your father. I have thought of a song.' And she began to sing a sweet little song about a lassie who sat all alone by her home every day, weeping that no young lad wanted to marry her. Earcwen's voice was by no means a beautiful voice, but she carried the tune well, and the emotion that thrilled in each note of the song was lovely to hear, and she seemed immersed in what she was singing, so much that she almost seemed to be the girl of the song herself.

'And as I sat there without joy,
sorry for my chances poor
I saw upon the road a boy
and I did not weep anymore.
For fair and noble was the lad,
as he stood there smiling on me,
and in grey-brown he was clad,
and his smile was quick, and his laugh was free.'

And her head tilted to one side, and a happy, mischievous look came to her eyes, and her right shoulder lifted to touch her cheek, as if something delightful thrilled her, something she did not want to tell anyone. She finished the song, and it ended that the noble lad married the weeping girl, and she became happy and dancing, and bore many bonny babies, and was nevermore sorrowful for all her days. And when she finished she did not look at her audience, nor did she speak, but she continued to look delighted and pleased, and then, with a little sigh, shaking herself to bring herself back to the present time, she turned to Rochadan and said, 'You asked for the favour of a song, good sir; I hope the song was pleasing enough to you and to the children.'
Old 09-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #104
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Before Ædhral’s companion had the opportunity to reply Finnian gently interrupted laying a hand on her shoulder, “I’m sorry to intrude,” he smiled apologetically, “But I need your assistance, I would have asked Kannah but she already seems to have her hands full” he whispered indicating a table of young farm hands who had stopped in for a quick lunch and were shouting several orders at once at the dry humoured serving women.

He then indicated a stout short fellow sitting across the way, “Our guest is hungry and I need you to take his order while I see to his room.” “A Dwarf!” Ædhral nodded grinning with the light of intrigue in her soft brown eyes, Finnian laughed as he recognised the look “Aye it tis.” Remembering her guest she turned and apologized “I just have to see to this guest then I shall be back,” she promised. The stranger nodded, “I am not going anywhere and will still be here once your chores are done,” he smiled understandingly and with an appreciative nod, she rose and went to attend the Taverns new guest.

“Anything I can get you?” she smiled pleasantly. “Ah yes! I’d like some ale! A good ale, and some cheese!” the dwarf replied licking his lips in anticipation, a small smile appearing on his bearded face. “Anything else sir?” she asked writing his order on the small note book she had taken from her apron pocket. “Ah…no. That’s it for now, Adaral?” the dwarf answered taking a guess at her name. Ædhral looked up surprised, after speaking with the dark cloaked stranger the dwarves innocent stab at her name had startled her, but seeing the dwarf’s hopeful smile she laughed. “Close guess! The name’s Ædhral. One moment, and I’ll be back with your order!” she smiled warmly, then taking her leave she headed towards the kitchen.

Pushing through the two way door, she saw cook bent over the stone sink scrubbing out the large soup pot, muttering incessantly to herself, “Why do I bother, really, I tell you I make all this lovely food and not one of them can make the effort to show up on time, I know that they are always busy and that the customers should come first. But I tell you what use will they be to anyone if they all get sick with starvation!”

“We won’t starve,” Ædhral grinned as she reached for the cheese and took a knife to cut a large slice for the dwarf. Cook jumped startled that she was not alone as she had thought. “I’m sure the others will be along just as soon as they can get away,” Ædhral smiled reassuringly. “I know,” Cook sighed, “But I promised Bethberry that I would make sure the young lad Andhan ate properly while she was away to keep up his strength you know!”

“I know,” Ædhral smiled sympathetically, “But I’m sure Rochadan will have him here soon, perhaps little Sallie is having a late nap and their just waiting for her to wake.”

“Ah, perhaps you are right, you know me no patience at all, but if he doesn’t appear soon we will be having words, mark me, it will not do to have children missing meal times.” cook sighed, taking the pot from the sink and setting it upside down on the draining board.

“Rochadan is a good father and I’m sure he has a good reason for being late,” Ædhral said in the stable masters defence. Then plating the ewes cheese that cook was famous for making she again pushed through the door to the common room.

Stopping at the bar she set down the plate only long enough to fill a tankard of their finest ale, then with plate and tankard in hand she returned to the dwarf. “I hope you enjoy” she smiled setting the cheese and ale before him. “I’m sure I will” the dwarf grinned lifting the tankard and taking a large draw. “Very fine indeed!” he laughed wiping the froth from his beard with the back of his hand. “I’m glad it is to your liking sir, will there be anything else?”

“No that will be all for now, thanks…. But perhaps you would humour me with your company for awhile if your chores will allow,” he asked indicating the empty seat across from him.

“Oh, erm…” Ædhral fumbled looking between the dwarf and the stranger who patiently waited her return, she didn’t wish to seem rude to either one.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-20-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:00 AM   #105
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

1420!

"Ah, it's because I'm a dwarf, isn't it? Yep! That's the reason! It always is! Hate the dwarf!" Tror said, slamming his head on the table. He knew it would work. It always worked. Ædhral blushed, before saing in a comforting tone "No. Oh, no. I don't hate you because you're a dwarf. I don't hate you. I, eh..." but Ædhral was lost for words. She honestly had nothing against the dwarf, but one she'd never even met. One she didn't even know the name of. "So you're a good guesser with names?" Ædhral said, changing the subject quickly. Tror knew what she was doing, but went along with it anyway. "As good as they come! I've been around a lot of people, and I've sorta picked it up as a talent. How good are you at it? What's my name?"

Ædhral started feeling a tad more comfortable with Tror, but still not enough to join him. "Oh. Well, your name is. Well, it's. Don't be offended," "Of course not! I never would!" Tror said, as he stared at Ædhral, waiting for a reply. Ædhral took a deep breath. "Your name is Dorfuss Stoneyhand" Ædhral said, in a pace faster than an arrow fired from a Lorien Bow. "Ah ha!" Tror shouted, raising his ale mug into the air. "You got it! Well, you got part of it! The name's Tror, but everyone calls me Stoney!" "Stoney, eh? That was lucky. Well, stoney, it was nice talking to you, but I'm afraid I will have to go..." Ædhral got up,and began to walk away, but Stoney stopped her. "Wait. If you can't stay with me, maybe I'll stay with you. If a great cook, and server! Actually, the reason I'm here is because I wanted to help out. Do anything I can. I can cook, clean, serve, cook." Stoney said, stressing his dream of being a cook. "Well?" Stoney said, waiting for an answer.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:22 AM   #106
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Finian clattered down the stairs and saw that the dwarf was talking to Ædhral, wiping the ale foam from his beard as he did so. As Finian drew closer he heard the dwarf say,

"Wait. If you can't stay with me, maybe I'll stay with you. If a great cook, and server! Actually, the reason I'm here is because I wanted to help out. Do anything I can. I can cook, clean, serve, cook."

"Whoever would have thought it?" Finian said jovially, winking first at the dwarf and then at Ædhral. "A dwarf wishing to cook!"

The dwarf smiled as sheepishly as he could and gulped down a sip of ale.

Finian looked at the dwarf, considerring. The already had a cook, but she was a grouchy creature and would hopefully not mind a bit of help in the kitchen. "All right then, Master Dwarf," Finian said. "You can help in the kitchen but you must also be prepared to do odd jobs and help Rochadan with the stables and things of that sort. Deal?"

He held out his hand for the dwarf to shake.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #107
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

"Odd jobs happen to be one of my specialities! Only a fool would pass up an offer like this!" And Tror rapidly shook Finian's hand. "It's a deal. Anything to help! When can I start?" Tror said, waiting for a reply. At last, he would get some work done. After his brother's death, he felt it his duty to help out, even if it involved horses. Tror never was good with anything tall and fast, but, in order to earn his keep, he sucked it up. "It's going to be a pleasure working here. I'm fitting in already! This is great! So, when do I start, and where do I go? What duty calls me?"
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 PM   #108
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Rochadan listened to Earcwen’s singing with a distant half-smile on his face, touched by the way the girl had immersed herself so deeply into her song. He found the delight in her face infectious as she finished the song that had started out so sadly with a joyous happy ever after. As the last note faded away, he joined the children in a hearty round of applause for her. For a moment, she did not look at him or the two children, nor did she speak, but continued to look inward upon herself with an expression of delight and almost childlike rapture upon her face. Then, with a soft sigh, she gave herself a little shake and turned to Rochadan.

“You asked for the favour of a song, good sir,” she said with a mischievous smile. “I hope the song was pleasing enough to you and to the children.”

“It was wonderful!” he answered, accompanied by a chorus of agreement from Andhun and little Sallie. “You have acquitted yourself admirably! It was a lovely little song.”

Looking pleased with herself, Earcwen, clapped her hands together once and beamed like a child herself.

“Now Papa!” said Sallie, tugging at her father’s trouser leg. “Sing Sweet Sallie.

Looking down at Sallie, Rochadan gave his daughter an affectionate smile. He had noticed over the last several minutes that her giggles, though happy, had taken on the thin, rather strained quality that told him she was still feeling tired and a bit overly-sensitive. Any small disappointment could push her back over the brink into tears. Andhun, too, despite the all merriment, was looking a bit worn-out as well. With a good-natured wink at Earcwen, Rochadan knelt down before Sallie and took one of her small hands in each of his. Swinging them playfully back and forth as though they were dancing, he said, “I’ll sing Sweet Sallie, but only two verses. Then we go eat lunch. If we don’t, I’m afraid young Andhun may swoon. Besides, I’m feeling a bit peckish myself. Agreed?”

When Sallie smiled happily and nodded, Rochadan breathed a sigh of relief. It was well past the time they should have gone in for luncheon, and he could only imagine what Cook was saying about him behind his back for being so late. Though he felt a little self-conscious about singing Sallie’s lullaby in front of Earcwen and Andhun, it being one of the songs he had made up himself to sing Sallie to sleep in front of the fire and no real ballad at all, he would be happy to oblige if two verses would be all it took to get the child inside to a bite of food and a nap. Andhun, too, for that matter. In reality, two verses amounted to but a pittance. The song itself had grown, since its first inception, to a dozen or so verses and could go on for what seemed like forever sometimes. Still swinging Sallie’s hands gently back and forth, he began to sing in a deep, pleasantly masculine voice:

My Sallie lies far beyond the Misty Mountains
She sleeps in a tow’r by the gray, rolling sea
I’d ride through the night
And through many tomorrows
To bring my sweet Sallie to me.

Sing hey-nonnie-nonnie, hey-nonnie, hey-nonnie-hey
Bring back my Sallie to me.
Sing hey-nonnie-nonnie, hey-nonnie, hey-nonnie-hey
Bring my sweet Sallie to me.

The briars grow wild around my Sallie’s tower
They bear crimson roses so fair for to see
Sword in hand, I would cut through
Great tangles of briars
To bring my sweet Sallie to me...

As he finished the last chorus of hey-nonnies he leaned slowly forward until at the final bring my sweet Sallie to me the tip of his nose came to rest against hers. For an instant, father and daughter shared a small, private smile, then Sallie threw her arms around her father’s neck and kissed his cheek. He picked her up and, rising, set her on his hip. Rochadan turned to Andhun.

“Then it’s off to our luncheon, we go.” He gave Andhun a helpful arm up from where the boy had again taken a seat on the floor. Then, turning to Earcwen, he smiled.

“I’m afraid as part of the inn’s staff, we eat in the kitchen rather than the common room with the guests. Nonetheless, we would be honored if you would join us, Miss...er...Miss...” he trailed off awkwardly, realizing that neither one of them had been properly introduced.

“Miss Earcwen,” Andhun chimed in helpfully. “Her name’s Miss Earcwen, sir.”

“...Miss Earcwen,” finished Rochadan. “My name is Rochadan. This is my daughter, sweet Sallie. It seems you and young Andhun have already met! Would you give us the pleasure of joining us for lunch?”

Last edited by Ealasaide; 09-20-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:09 AM   #109
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

1420!

Ædhral clapped her hands excitedly as Finnian welcomed Tror to become a member of the Vineyards staff, her dark clad friend for the moment forgotten to her exhilaration. She knew Cook would be pleased to have extra help in the kitchen and she looked forward to seeing and tasting the culinary delights of the dwarven cook. “Then you should at least come and met Cook and see where it is you will be working I can give you a tour of the Tavern?” she grinned excitedly, throwing a askance glance to Finnian to make sure it was ok!

The young innkeeper nodded and before he could say any more she had the dwarf’s hand and was leading him tankard sloshing about in his other hand towards the kitchen, “Cooks bark is worse than her bite so you have to excuse her fiery temperament when it appears, she just likes things done on time and in order, but she has everyone’s best interests at heart really!” she smiled as she pushed open the kitchen door and quiet literally dragged the stunned dwarf inside.

“Cook, Cook!” she called elatedly, a dowdy woman with slightly greying hair tied up in a neat bun stuck her head out of the pantry, “What is it where’s the fire!” she exclaimed. “I would like you to met Tror, he has offered to help out in the kitchen and do odd jobs around the Tavern!” Ædhral grinned introducing the dwarf.

“Well I’ll be if it isn’t a dwarf and one that can cook at that!” she grinned stepping out of the pantry, wiping her hands on the corner of her apron. “Nellie Clotty, or cook as I’m commonly known here, but you may call me Nell!” she said extending her hand to him.

“A pleasure,” Tror grinned taking her hand, “I look forward to working with you, both of you,” he continued turning to smile at the still obviously thrilled Ædhral.

“It is about time that boy got a bit o help around here, he might be young but he’s got a level head like his father!” she winked to Ædhral as Finnian walked through the door to make sure the dwarf had caught cook in one of her better moods.

Come on Tror I will show you around the kitchen and get you acquainted with where everything is!” Ædhral grinned, again reaching for his hand.

“Whoa slow down there girl, he’s not going any where, there will be plenty of time for that,” cook laughed . “I bet she didn’t even give you the chance to finish your lunch,” she grinned, eyeing the half filled tankard still in the dwarf’s hand.

“No she didn’t!” Finnian laughed holding up the plate of cheese he had brought from the common room, Ædhral blushed and quickly apologised for her eagerness, But Tror merely laughed and told her not to worry herself about it.

“We are just about to eat , as you are now a member of staff you should join us,” cook said as she quickly pulled up another seat and ushered all three to the table.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-20-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #110
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

"Of course I'd like to join you! I'm part of the group now, aren't I?" Tror said, laughing heartily. "By the way, you can call me Stoney! Tror "Stoney" Thunder Ax. I'm heir to the Thunder Ax clan of the Iron Mountains. We've been around since the dawn of time." Tror said, standing up tall (tall for a dwarf) as he said this. "Pleased to meet you, Stoney!" Nell said, a smile radiating from her face. "I've got an idea!" Tror said, as he spiritually patted himself on the back. "Now that I'm gonna cook here, would you like to see a sample of what I can cook?" "Sure!" said the group unanimously. "Well, Nell, what ingredients do we have? What do I have to work with? And if we don't have it, where can I get something?"
Old 09-22-2004, 10:11 AM   #111
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
A brief visit

LinGalad entered, slipped into an out-of-the-way corner and asked for a glass of wine. It was brought to him, and he raised it quietly.

"To Ambassador Bilbo; Happy Birthday," he said, and sipped the wine. He sat for a while absorbed in his musings.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:13 PM   #112
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Thalinar eyed her quizically, what an odd girl. "Ah yes that is true, never give a deaf ear when someone or something is trying to talk to you, but the only voices that I can follow are that of the trees, birds and other beasts".

His confusion turned to sadness when Ærosylle said she had made them angry and that it gets lonely without them. "If I'm being rude theres no need to answer but how did you make them angry? What do you mean?, surely you have others to talk to, the innkeeper seems like a nice fellow". Thalinar frowned and looked at the small fire that was beginning to die.

His stomach grumbled and Ærosylle giggled, "I would have never thought my stomach would growl while residing in an Inn", he joked, "I fear that means I will have to venture down the stairs and recieve some nourishment, I wish not to cause that girl Ædhral, any more embarrasement. Today has not been my best day".

He sighed but keeping his pride in check he stood and asked, "would you like to accompany me for lunch?".
Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #113
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Cook/Nell

“Well you are keen master Stony I will give you that!” Nell laughed. “The pantry is this way and is always kept well stocked,” she told the dwarf as she ushered him towards the pantry door. “both the butcher and the milk maid come each morning with fresh deliveries, but if there is anything we don’t have you’ll most likely find it in the towns marketplace.”

“Thank you, Nell!” Stony nodded as his steady gaze searched along the lines of shelves .

“This!” he questioned, reaching out to pick up a bunch of freshly pulled carrots “are these delivered fresh too?” he mused aloud.

“Oh no master Stony, we do have our own vegetable garden out back, carrots, parsnips, neeps, pea’s that kind o thing and Ædhral has planted a very lovely herb wheel so that we are never short of fresh herbs.” she grinned proudly.

“But I will leave you now to get on and look forward to tasting your culinary delight, if you need anything… well I’m here,” she laughed with a shrug as she went to re-join Finnian and Ædhral at the table.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-23-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #114
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Ærosylle grinned broadly at him and slipped her hand in his. "To answer your questions, sir, I do not know why they stop speaking to me. They just do. I do not know why..."

She glanced up at the elf and smiled faintly at him. As they walked down the stairs, the delicious smell of stew wafted towards them. The elf hung his head and held to the shadows, as though ashamed of being seen. She found that very odd. "Would you like me to get you a bowl?" she asked.

At his nod, she flitted off and begged the cook, Nell, for two bowls of stew. She courtseyed to a nearby dwarf and found the elf still hovering in the shadows. "Why do you hid?" she asked.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:58 AM   #115
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

"Right!" Tror said, as he glanced around at all the food at his disposal. "I can see the pots are over there! I'll get to work. You just let them know I'll be cooking my secret recipie. Family tradition! Right, well thank you. If you don't mind, I must get started!" Stoney said, as he politely ushered Nell off. Looking around at the vast kitchen, Stoney felt nervous. This could effect how they think of him. They could fire him. It had to be perfect.

"Well first, I'll need a pot!" Tror said, as he walked over to one within his reach and put a fire under it. "Now for the ingredients! First, some curry!" Tror said, opening the pantry. Inside, he found a multitude of spices. There were several shelves, with every inch packed. "Come now! You must be joking!" For Tror found the curry. It was on the very top shelf. Looking around for a stool, Stoney found none. "I know! I'll rope it down!" And Stoney, grabbing some string, tied a lasso and swung it in the air. The lasso landed on parseley, a couple bottles down from the curry. Pulling on the string, the bottle fell from the shelf and broke. "Right! Lasso's are a bad idea!" Stoney said, trying to conceal the mess.

"Is everything alright back there?" Nell shouted to Tror, as he still tried to hide the glass. "Fine! Just fine! It's all under control!" The dwarf shouted, as he pondered how to get the curry. "Ah! I'll climb up!" And slowly, Stoney started to climb. Upon reaching the fourth shelf, the dwarf almost fell off, but holding on with one hand, he continued on. Finally reaching the curry, Tror reached out for it. But as he grabbed the bottle, he slipped on the shelf, and landed flat on his back on the floor. Getting to his feet, he opened the bottle and put the spice in. For the next hour, it was the same process, but with different spices. Each time, Stoney would climb up, and each time, he would slip.

Finally, after all the ingrediants had been put in the pot, Stoney added boiling water and let it cook. Several minutes later, the soup was ready. Getting bowls for everyone, Stoney poured the soup in equel servings, and gave everyone a bowl. "Well, what do you think?"
Old 09-26-2004, 08:24 AM   #116
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield Welcome new Writers of the Mark

A familiar brown and white falcon flies into the Tavern, with a scroll in his beak, which he drops near the Innkeeper's desk before flying out into the kitchen, where he sneaks a piece of raw meat left lying on the cutting board, and then flies swiftly out an open window before he can be caught.

The scroll is dutifully tacked up on the board for all to see:

All hail New Writers of the Mark!

Here ye all Rohirrim! You are bid welcome to Rohan as Game Players Arry, CaptainofDespair, and Firefoot who have successfully played to conclusion their first game in The Shire Well done!

And please congratulate Fordim Hedgethistle on his full status as Game Founder in Rohan. He is already itching to get a sequel to Land of Darkness going here in Rohan so watch for it.

The Perky Ent and Imladris are also preparing some entertainments for your gaming enjoyment. Coming some day soon to a thread near you.

Bêthberry,
Old 09-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #117
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

OCC

Congrats Arry, CaptainofDespair, and Firefoot!!! You made it! Welcome to Rohan. You now have a multitude of power in your hands. I suggest you take advantage of it. Play in some Inns, and when either mine or Imladris's game comes out, play it! If you like it, maybe you'll own a game in the Shire so you can make one in Rohan! And speaking of which, I'd also like to give a special congrats to Fordim. Well, that about covers it! Get to work, writers of the Mark!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:19 PM   #118
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Earcwen regarded Rochadan with a slightly amused eye, saying, 'Do you really desire my presence in the kitchen? Andhun, I understand, has some sort of work here at the Tavern, and so of course he is welcome to dine in the kitchen. I, on the other hand, should, by all rights, be dining in the Common Room with the guests, for I am a guest. You needn't fear of offending me by banishing me from the kitchen, though I might feel sorry for it.' She cocked her head to one side and her eyes twinkled.

'Oh, please!' cried Andhun and Sallie of one accord, and Rochadan finished for them, saying, 'I am sure you would be no bother at all, Miss Earcwen, and we would be delighted to have you.'

'Well then!' said Earcwen, and she took Sallie's hand. 'Shall we go in for our luncheon, then?' And she began to sing When I Was Young, and she made her way to the stable door, Sallie beside her and Andhun following. Rochadan could not resist a laugh at the oddity of the young woman, and at the dearness of Andhun and his daughter, and then he too followed, and together the little group made their way to the Tavern.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #119
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Having herded his small group up the path from the stables to the back door of the kitchen, Rochadan opened the door only to find the kitchen quite crowded already. Finian, Ædhral, and Nell the Cook were all seated around the table before steaming bowls of soup. Beside them, halfway between the table and the stove stood a beaming, rather perky-looking dwarf. Surprised, Rochadan did a quick double-take, then smiled and nodded to the dwarf. Having fought at the Battle of Five Armies and acted as messenger between the various camps, Rochadan had conversed and become somewhat friendly with a number of dwarves. He just had not ever seen one quite in this context, though he supposed dwarves did cook. After all, they had seemed generally pretty fond of food in his experience.

Holding the door open for Earcwen and the two children, he stepped out of the way so that they could enter. "I hope there's room at the table for four more," he said to no one in particular. "I have two children here who could do with a hearty bowl of soup."

"Oh, of course!" exclaimed Ædhral, jumping up instantly to add four more place settings to the long table. "Allow me to introduce Stoney! He's going to be helping Nell in the kitchen."

As Rochadan introduced himself and the two children to Stoney, and Earcwen to everyone, he noticed the dwarf shifting rather uncomfortably from one foot to the other.

"Is something wrong?" he asked pleasantly, meanwhile settling Sallie into her own little high chair.

"Ooh...erm," said the dwarf. "There isn't anymore soup. I served it all out into equal servings for those who were already here. I didn't know there were more coming..."

"Around here, there are always more coming!" Finian grinned.

"Never fear!" said Nell the Cook, rising quickly to her feet. "There is still a bit of stew left from lunch. I saved your share, seeing as you were late." She gave him a pointed look. "You should be more mindful of the time, Mr. Rochadan. If it weren't for those children I might not have saved you any at all. Maybe then you would learn to come to luncheon on time!"

Rochadan grinned and caught the plump older woman around the waist, giving her a playful spin around the kitchen. "Oh, you wouldn't do that to me!"

Trying very hard to maintain a frown, Nell freed herself and gave his arm a sharp slap. "I would indeed!" Then, she laughed in spite of herself. "Oh, go sit down." She disappeared into the pantry and came back out with stock pot of leftover stew from lunch, which she immediately set on the stove to reheat.

Taking a seat at the table between Sallie and Earcwen, Rochadan turned to the dwarf. "Welcome to the Vineyard," he said. "Don't mind Cook's temper if she ever has a chance to turn it on you. Her bark is much worse than her bite." He paused to wink at the cook, who was still doing her best to preserve the appearance that she was angry with him. "If you don't mind my asking," he continued. "How do you find yourself here in Esgaroth? Do you come from the Lonely Mountain?"
Old 10-03-2004, 09:02 PM   #120
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

As they walked hand in hand down the stairs to the common room Thalinar lowered his head and kept close to the shaded places, mostly corners. A single nod of his head sent the young girl off towards the kitchen to fetch some bowls of hot stew.

Thalinar shook his head, disgraced by the actions he had to take to see that he wouldn't end up confronting the maiden, Ædhral, again. Ærosylle flitted back to him as fast as she had left, like some Fairy in a children's story Thalinar thought amusingly, she seemed to have that way about her.

"Why do you hide?", the question was innocent enough, but Thalinar was bothered by it none the less. He looked at her wearily and sighed. Gratefully taking the hot bowl of stew from her, "perhaps we should sit over there first", he looked across the room at the far corner, she turned and nodded her head.

They walked casually over to the table, Thalinar keeping a look out for Ædhral, and Ærosylle tip-toeing around the 'grumpy' board. Finally when they sat down he looked at the girl and smiled weakly, "I'm afraid that its a rather embarassing story...."