Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Narya Shadow of the West discussion thread

Writers of the Mark and Gondorians, Fordim Hedgethistle invites you to join his game, Shadow of the West, a game of intrigue set in the Second Age and exploring the creation of the Nazgul.

Please read carefully and completely Fordim's comments here about the characters and about the style of gaming he wishes you to pursue. If you think this game is for you, take up the challenge he has thrown you and contact him.

Have fun! I know I will.

Title: Shadow of the West

Basic Storyline:

This game will span a year in the history of the eastern kingdom of Pashtia. In the year 2203 of what is known in the West as the Second Age, an emissary arrives from an unknown king who calls himself Annatar, the Lord of Gifts. The Emissary seeks an alliance with Pashtia and offers King Faroz the Lord Annatar?s aid against his enemies. As a token of his goodwill, the emissary has brought with him a golden ring crafted by the Lord Annatar himself, and imbued with magical powers?

The purpose of the story is to explore the creation of the Nazgűl and the struggle of a distant people against their enslavement by Sauron.

This means we will know the story is over when the King is either driven out of his kingdom by a coup, or he and his allies crush the resistance and bring the land under the dominion of the Dark Lord.

Starting Location: The royal palace in Kanak, capital city of Pashtia.

Likely destination: The same.

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place in the Second Age at around year 2203.

ii) The story itself or plot covers one year.

iii) This game requires a time commitment of three to six months from me, the game owner and from the major players.

Characters:

Main character types are?

The Royal Family

King Faroz: known as Khaműl, which means ?shining one,? he is the powerful ruler of Pashtia. Cunning and careful, Faroz?s principle concerng is protecting his kingdom from their enemies to the north in Alanzia and securing thereby his own glory and wealth. He is neither cruel nor merciless, but coldly, sometimes even brutally, rational in the exercise of royal power. He commands the respect and awe rather than the love of his people, but he is widely regarded within the kingdom as a wise and just ruler. He can be ruthless to his enemies, but with his allies he is open and true. Played by me, the Game Owner.

The Queen: the wife of Faroz was a princess of neighbouring Alanzia before she was married at a young age to secure the peace between the kingdoms. It has worked, so far, but precariously. Played by Bęthberry.

One Daughter: promised in marriage at birth to the male courtier (see below) with whom the King wished to form an alliance. Played by Aylwen.

One Son: younger than his sister.

Members of the Royal Court

One Lord: older than the King?s daughter, who has been promised to him in marriage (see above).

One Lady: a powerful person in her own right, with lands and position.

The general of the King?s Army: an Elf and one of the Avari. Played by Kransha.

The general's wife: Played by Alaklondewen..

The general's grown child: Avari; male or female

Two Priests:

? One male.
? One female. Played by Amanaduial the Archer.

Secondary character types likely are?

The Foreign Emissary

A Black Numenórean: this character?s destiny is to become the Witch-King of Angmar and the chief Nazgűl. At the time of the game, however, he is still a Man, but he is a willing ally of Sauron who has taken the first of the Nine Rings in the full knowledge of its power. He is a powerful king in the south of the Gondorian realms, and a sorcerer. He has come to Pashtia with the second of the Nine and a proposal of alliance with Sauron. Played by me, the Game Owner.

All players will have certain latitude in creating their own secondary characters, but these will have to be approved by me, the game owner, first.

Character types which would not belong are any not listed above.

The game owner will play King Faroz

The first post for the game:

The Emissary arrived at dawn, emerging from the shadows of the west like the return of a dream. He and his vanguard of fifty tall men were dressed in richly woven clothes of purple and black, and their great war-horses struck sparks from the cobbled way that led to the city. Their faces were fair, though deeply tanned by their passage of the Great Desert, and yet despite the weariness of their journey they were proud and stern in aspect. Their hair was dark but their eyes were startling shades of gray, even blue, and not the usual brown. Most surprising of all, their faces were smooth and closely shaved. To many who saw them, they appeared as the Avarin, but their countenances, which bore the marks of age and toil despite their great beauty, were clearly those of Men, and not of the immortal ones. They were strangely armed with long, straight swords at their sides. Their weapons were the result of great craft, but many a Pashtian wondered at how such a large and cumbersome weapon could be used it combat.

They passed first through the rich farmlands that lay upon the banks of the river. The morning sun leapt above the horizon, revealing the company to the labourers already hard at work in the fields of their employers, trying to gather in as much of the crop as they could before the sun gained the advantage of the day, dissolving it with a blank white heat. The dark men did not glance to either side as they rode past the farms, nor did they acknowledge the stares of those they passed. The road turned away from the river and they followed it up a slight incline as it brought them closer to the city walls. Farmlands gave way to rolling hills, richly clad with grasses and shrubs, and home to the country estates of the nobility. The large houses of brick glowed like burnished bronze in the rising sun, and their groves of grapes, olives and figs clustered thick about them. At this season, the houses were deserted by all save the groundskeepers and a few servants, who watched the company pass from the walls that rose about the estates. These people were used to the sight of richly appointed parties, but these people from the west were so strange that they could not help but stare in wonderment.

The walls of the city rose up in the near distance but the company rode on apparently undaunted. They passed through the great empty fields that had been cleared for the mustering of Pashtia?s army and cavalry, and if they were at all impressed by the twin statues of Rhais and Rae that rose above them upon either side of the road, they did not show it. When they reached the city walls the gates were opened for them without any command or word being spoken, and it became clear to those who watched from the ramparts that the company was expected. The horses? hooves clattered noisily upon the stones as they followed the road through the suburbs. Here the houses were small and closely built, but they were all of them clean and richly appointed. They were built in the manner of all Pashtian homes, of mud-bricks that had been fired to bronze-coloured strength. The homes presented to the street only blank walls with narrow windows, but as the company passed the tall gates of each home they could see that the houses all had large central courtyards, and that all the rooms of the home opened out onto covered walks that ran about the inside the building. As they pressed on into the city, the homes grew richer, and taller, and in the courtyards were fountains and pools, supplied by the great viaduct that they had seen at the waterfall more than three leagues distant.

The road passed through another wall, this one not as high as the great outer defense, but richly carved and draped with banners of silk. Within the ring of this wall were the markets and houses of trade. The goods of the Pashtians were laid out upon counters and tables, and could be glimpsed beyond the thick wooden doors of huge warehouses. There was a great press of people about although it was yet early morning, and in the many markets the company passed through there was a continual hum of business and industry.

At last, the road achieved the wall of the Palace. It was the first structure they had seen not made of brick, but of hewn stone. It sprang up before them and glowed pink in the sun, for it was made of marble that had been brought here over immeasurable distances centuries before. The gate that admitted them into the Palace grounds was made of steel, and upon it were many figures engraved of the Kings of Pashtia and their deeds. Within the walls of the palace, the sounds of the markets were stilled and replaced by the gentle trickle of falling water and the call of birds. It was like another world, a green world of immaculately tended trees and flowering shrubs. There were small shrines and statues scattered amongst the streams and copses, and occasionally small villas could be glimpsed behind vibrant walls of hedges. The scents of a thousand different plants filled the air. The road rose up a hill toward the palace. It looked, from the outside, like the homes they had passed earlier, only much larger. It glowed with the rich warm hue of the bricks, and its walls were smooth and unmarked. When they passed through the gates, however, they were given a glimpse of the huge courtyard around which the palace had been built. It was filled with gardens and pools of water even more miraculously elaborate than those they had seen, and in its center there rose a single tall column of black stone, smooth and featureless, but which shone as though it had been burnished with a cloth. Beside the column was a deep well, perfectly round and carved, it seemed from the living bedrock upon which the palace had been built.

They stopped at the end of the passage that led through this wing of the palace, and a single guard stepped forward. He raised his hand and spoke to them in the common tongue of the East, and was surprised when he received an answer from the tall man who rode at the head of the column in the same language.

?Your coming is known to my King and you are welcome,? the guard began ceremoniously. ?My King bids you appear before him and make the purpose of your journey known.?

?I thank your King for this greeting, and I will attend him.? The company dismounted and followed the guard through a door at the side of the passage. He led them into a large hall, lit by rows of windows high up in the walls, and filled with a press of people dressed in silks and cloths of many different bright colours. The crowd was silent and moved aside to allow the company of stern men to pass. At the end of the hall there rose a tall dais, upon which stood the King, clad simply in an orange robe of silk, and wearing his diadem of pounded silver. He was unarmed, but about the foot of the dais were ranged a hundred of his personal guard, their faces covered with the same scarlet cloth that draped them to their feet.

The company halted at the foot of the dais and the Emissary stepped forward. Looking up to where the King stood he addressed him in tones of practiced diplomacy. ?Hail and greetings to King Faroz of Pashtia from my Lord Annatar of the West! He sends you good will and friendship, and bids me ask if you are willing to exchange the like with him.?

A murmur ran through the crowd at the fair words and the noble manner in which they had been delivered. The King, however, appeared unmoved as he replied. ?The greetings are returned, but I am afraid that I know nothing of your lord. You have come a long way from across the Great Desert, through which few Pashtians dare now travel, for we have heard that the lands to the west have grown dangerous and that the kingdoms of that realm are in eternal conflict. We want no part of foreign wars.?

?It is true that in the past there were trials in my land,? the Emissary replied. ?But those troubles are behind us now. My Lord desires only peace and friendship with all the peoples of Middle-Earth, and to that end he has sent me into these distant lands to seek out both with our long separated kindred of men.?

The King paused in thought for a time before responding. ?You speak fairly, and I will consider the request for friendship, but does your lord ask only for that? You would not have come all this way merely to express tidings of good will.?

?You are wise and perceptive, King Faroz. I cannot deny that my Lord has given me two tasks of more specific import. He bid me say that if you are willing to accept his friendship, then might you consider alliance as well? My Lord is powerful in his lands, as you are in yours, and one can never have too many allies in an uncertain world.?

?Of this first matter, we will speak further. What of the second??

The Emissary drew forth from beneath his clothes a small black bag, from which he took out a gold ring. It was unmarked and plain, but there was upon it a small red stone that glittered in the light, and the gold itself shone. Many who beheld the ring felt that it was a thing of great worth, and longed to examine it more closely. The Emissary held the ring aloft. ?My Lord Annatar is known in the west as the Lord of Gifts. Let this be the first of the gifts that he will send as token of his friendship and alliance!?

The King came down the steps of the dais and took the ring from the Emissary. He held it in his palm for a moment and gazed at it in silence. It was a beautiful thing, perfectly round and unmarked. Its gem seemed to glow with a dull red light of its own. He resisted the urge to put it on immediately, for he did not wish to seem over eager in the eyes of his people. Looking up at the Emissary once more, the King thought for a fleeting moment that he caught a look of great cunning on the man?s fair face, but when he looked again there was only a noble mien of respect. Closing his hand about the ring, the King spoke so the court could hear. ?It is indeed a rich gift, and I will accept it. As to the offer of alliance, I will speak with you further about your Lord and take counsel with my nobles. For now, however, accept in return my own expressions of thanks and friendship.? The King?s eyes drifted back down to the hand in which he clutched the ring. ?It is indeed a rich gift,? he said as though to himself. ?A precious gift.?

Other information of special interest that you would like to include:

The Kingdom

Pashtia is in the far East of the world, upon the shores of the Eastern Sea. It is a desert country, crossed by three great rivers that converge near the ocean and form a large crescent of fertile land upon which has grown up a small but powerful civilization that has lasted for thousands of years. The people of Pashtia are refined and well educated, and consider themselves to be among the most civilized people in the world, and with good reason. Art, philosophy and the sciences are all highly developed, and Pasthtian artisans and teachers are in high demand throughout the East.

There is in the kingdom a large population of the Avari, Elves who did not go into the West when they were summoned by the Valar, and who have all but forgotten their western kindred. Never having met even one of the Noldor, the Avari are a much more ?quaint? and perhaps even rustic people. They are far more like men than their western cousins. They are a minority in the realm, but they are treated with guarded respect by the other Pashtians. At one time, in the distant past, the Avari were persecuted and feared, but for a thousand years they have been welcomed into human society.

To the north of Pashtia, across the Great Desert Ardűn, is the larger kingdom of Alanzia. For centuries these two rivals have glared jealously at one another across the sands that separate them. Their last war lasted nearly ten years and cost the lives of thousands upon both sides. It was finally ended when the Kings of Alanzia and Pashtia agreed to marry their children. So far, the peace has held, but the rivalry remains. The armies of Alanzia are larger, but the Pashtians are better trained and equipped, thanks in large part to the contributions made to their military by the Avari. In Alanzia, ?the immortal devils? as the Elves are called there, are forbidden, on pain of instant death.

The religion of Pashtia is based upon the worship of the earth goddess, a belief that has its roots in the myths of the Avari. Within the last few decades, there have been calls from some amongst the nobility to have the priests acknowledge the supremacy of Rea, the male sky god to whom they claim Rhais, the earth mother, is subordinate.

I have loosely based Pashtia upon ancient Parthia. I will encourage gamers to visit this web site to help them visualize the architecture, artifacts, costume and manners of Pashtia. The two primary differences between Pashtia and Parthia, are geographic size (Parthia was a huge empire, not a small kingdom) and religion.

Customs and Manners of Pashtia

Families live together in multi-generation houses built to accommodate them. The family lives together as a single unit without dividing into generations or groups. All meals are taken communally at a low table in the courtyard of the family home, around which all members of the household sit upon richly embroidered cushions. This is true of all classes and occupations, for although it is a socially divided and strictly hierarchical society, the upper echelons of the citizenry do not look down upon nor denigrate those below them. One?s position in society is simply a fact of their existence, and not a moral or societal judgement of one?s worth.

All Pashtians have dark hair, either black or dark brown, and while the occasional child is born with curls, most people?s hair grows straight. Their features are even and their skin brown. The men all wear beards, and no Pashtian woman is so without shame as to be seen outside her house without a scarf to cover her head. Men and women dress very much alike, in light trousers and shirts, with robes overtop of these. Most of the citizens of Pashtia wear finely spun white cotton that is soft but durable. The better off citizens prefer to drape themselves in brightly coloured silk. By and large the men do not wear ornaments, but take great delight in growing long beards which they will braid and adorn with gold wire. All Pashtian women wear bangles about their wrists. The poorest women use clay and glass, but those who can afford it prefer gold or silver.

Men are the workers and warriors of Pashtia, and the heads of their households, but they do not hold sway over their wives and daughters as dictators. Women have the right to refuse unwanted marriages, or to leave marriages that have become difficult. Women can inherit property and title from their husbands, but in the event of a parent?s death, all the wealth goes to the eldest male child. It is Pashtian law, however, that the son must honour the obligations of the father, and to provide for his mother, grandmothers, aunts or sisters.

Pashtian artisans are known throughout the East as the most talented craftsmen, capable of making things that are both useful and beautiful. The primary occupation of most Pashtians, however, is agriculture for the rivers that flow through their land make the land about them bountiful. The farms of Pashtia grow all manners of goods, most of which are converted into manufactured goods before being traded abroad. It is thanks to this trade that Pashtia has become over the centuries one of the wealthiest kingdoms in the East of Middle-earth.

Pashtian soldiers fight with light swords and daggers and go lightly armoured. Pashtia also boasts one of the finest cavalries in the known world, with horses and men so well-trained that many who see them in battle believe that man and beast are able to communicate with one another?s thoughts.

The Gamers

As this game will succeed or fail by the relationships that exist between the characters, I wish to use a graduated system of signing up players. In the first round, I will request only that interested players submit a basic description of their preferred character, without a bio or history. They will also be asked to address how their character feels about each of the following issues:

i) The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rea. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above Rhais, the goddess of the earth.

ii) For the last few years there have been calls for a law that would limit the term of service of any Avari in a royal posting to ninety-nine years. There are many amongst the nobility who feel that too many of the highest positions in the kingdom are closed to humans by the immortals who currently occupy them. Does the player?s character think that such a law would be just?

iii) The King has yet to declare his heir. Does the player?s character think that it should be the King?s son, who is the younger child, or should the King choose his daughter, in which case the noble she is promised to in marriage will rule?

Once the roles are filled, I will then ask all gamers to indicate those other characters that their character will seek as allies, and those characters that they will see as foes. Obviously, there may need to be some co-ordination of these lists amongst the players.

The third and final round will be the submission of first posts.

A Note to All Gamers: Concerning Events in Pashtia

While I do have some specific plot points, gamers will be expected to move the plot along themselves. The development of the game should closely resemble the Green Dragon Inn and the White Horse Inn, where gamers interactively create a story rather than passively react to events as outlined for them by the game owner. Plot twists and new developments will not only be tolerated but actively encouraged. Gamers will be asked to use the Discussion Thread to discuss possible plot developments with one another: alternately, if a gamer would like to spring a surprise on everyone else, they can contact me via PM. It is my sincere hope that the intrigues and relationships in this game will become nothing less than Byzantine in their complexity. As a consequence, gamers will be allowed and expected to take the initiative in gameplay.
________

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-10-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien I would be interested in playing...

Hey!

I wasn't going to play any in any more games....but...this looks too intriguing to resist.

That said I am interested in this role:

One Lady: a powerful person in her own right, with lands and position.

Lady Arshalous: tall, slender, black hair twined in intricate braids, can be described in one word: polemic. She has a rather....cynical view on life and has the attitude: Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. She wears lots of jewelry (mainly bangles and arm bands), and paints her eyes with kohl.

Quote:
The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rhais. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above the goddess of the earth.
I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but I wonder if there might be a typo here for I don't understand how a temple in honour of Rhais, who, from what I understand, is the earth goddess, could help the supremecay of the sky god.

However, if the temple is built in honour of the earth mother, Arshalous is for it.

If the temple is in honour of the sky god, Arshalous opposes the building of it for one reason: Rhais is the earth mother...as such she should be treated with respect.

If she had her way, though, no new temple would be built at all...the god had been satisfied with no new temple before...if a new temple were built then it could be considered as flattery.

But she could see no reason for the supremecy of either. To her, they were like the flip sides of a coin: the world could not be without the other.

As a law limiting the years that an Avari could serve in the kingdom, she is inclined to believe that such a law is silly. Why bother with the fuss of choosing mortals who would only die, when the position could be provided by a wise immortal? The more often a glass was handled by different hands (some of which would not be gentle), the more quickly the glass will break. However, in the hands of few, the glass has a better chance of surviving. In her opinion, the same principle applies to the kingdom.

The heir should be the wiser child: if the younger son was wiser than the noble betrothed to the daughter, then so be it. If the betrothed husband was wiser than the son, then let the noble become the heir.

Cheers and thanks!
Imladris
Old 11-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

I also said I would back off on the games for a while, but people keep bullying me with all these lovely looking game proposals. Stay away, ye tempters of RPG! Not that I'm complaining...

Fordim, for some reason I am having some problems with the PMs at the moment - it's just my server, I suspect, it's being difficult with certain pages for no apparent reason. But I shall send my answers for the priestess to you as soon as possible

Later, yer majesty.

- Ax
Old 11-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Goodness gracious me! What is that they say about the devil and details?!?!?

Good catch Imladris! To clarify:

The male sky god is Rea and the female earth goddess is Rhais. The temple that is being propsed would be to Rea (male sky) as there are nobles who wish to subordinate Rhais (female earth).

Perhaps Bb could edit the first post accordingly. . .? *inserting the imaginary "hopeful" smilie here*

To be clear, the question that I would like gamers to answer is:

The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rea. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above Rhais, the goddess of the earth.

I've also caught a spelling error in the first post. There the male sky god is identified as "Rae", but it should be "Rea" (RAY-ah).
Old 11-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanaduial the archer
Fordim, for some reason I am having some problems with the PMs at the moment - it's just my server, I suspect, it's being difficult with certain pages for no apparent reason. But I shall send my answers for the priestess to you as soon as possible
Could I ask that everyone post the answers to their questions here in the DT, as everyone else will need to see where the others stand.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #6
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
The General's Wife

Here is a short description of the General's wife...

Arlomë is an Avari, a Dark Elf, who never saw the light of Aman. She is tall with a thin frame. Her black hair falls nearly to her waist and is kept in a single braid with three strands of gold wire twined throughout. Her sharp blue eyes can pierce many a heart and their intensity cause many to become uncomfortable when they are the target of her gaze.

Arlomë enjoys her position and takes her reputation seriously. She holds herself and her family to a high standard of decency, and she is proud of their status.

Arlomë identifies deeply with the femininity of the earth goddess, Rhais, and therefore refuses to accept Rea as supreme, although she does recognize him as a deity. Arlomë would be greatly concerned about the building of a temple to the sky god, and she would pray to Rhais for mercy on the kingdom.

The controversy of a limitation being placed on the Avaris’ service is a personal issue that the elf woman is passionate. Arlomë is fiercely loyal to her husband, and the idea of his service being limited infuriates her. She knows of the importance Morgos sees in his position, and she would not have it taken from him. The mortals should be thankful they have him to lead and would be hard-pressed to fight the Alanzians without him.

Arlomë cares little as to who the heir will be, although if her opinion was requested, she would simply reply that tradition should be upheld and King Faroz’s son is the rightful heir.

~*~*~
I must say I'm looking forward to this game, and I thank Fordim for giving me the opportunity to write this part.

Last edited by alaklondewen; 11-10-2004 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Taking out age until later decided...
Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Looks like a fun game - I'd be interested in playing the king's son.

Siamak is not very confident in himself, or very outspoken. He prefers to listen to others and keep his own opinion quiet. He tends to be kind-hearted, but he will do what he thinks is necessary in a given situation, and if that means lie, cheat, or steal, so be it. He is intelligent, and gives a lot of thought to things, not liking to make quick decisions. Average height, broad shoulders, black hair and a long beard with a few small braids twined with gold wire.

Siamak thinks it would be a wise idea to build a temple to the sky god Rea. He doesn't understand religious issues very well and is therefore rather afraid of the gods. Rea hasn't punished them yet for not giving him his due honor, but who's to say that he won't? He thinks the gods should be worshipped equally so that neither will be angered for not being honored properly.

Siamak feels that the most qualified individuals should hold positions in the army. If that is the Avari generals, then they should be allowed to keep their positions. However, if after 99 years a more qualified Pashtian who wants the position comes along, they should have it. Siamak wants the law to be passed with those provisions.

Siamak harbors hopes of being the king's heir, but he doesn't have enough confidence in himself to think that he will be. Whichever way the king decides, Siamak wishes that he would make up his mind soon so that he could feel secure in his own position. Siamak tries to remain in his father's good graces so that he might be named the heir.

~*~*~

Hope this works!

Last edited by Firefoot; 11-10-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
The Princess has arrived...

Gjeelea (Jill-laya) is cunning, smart and quick thinking. She will be personable if the need arises, but sly and gossipy when it suits. Gjeelea holds strong, unchanging opinions on certain matters even if she does not know much about them – makes decisions only because she thinks she needs to. She is clever and sly, and likes to have her say in things. At times she can be witty, but more often Gjeelea can come off as brash and cheeky. The princess knows well the way people work, and how people act in certain situations, and can easily manipulate a conversation. She is good with words. Gjeelea hates having her long black hair in her face and keeps in back in a multitude of tiny braids. She is just short of average. Her big bones contrast a tenuous, gaunt build that stunts any physical grace.

1) She would feel that if men and women are equal in society then both the god and goddess could be worshipped with equal reverence. Gjeelea would support the building of a temple, but not with the purpose to ‘overshadow’ Rhais.

2) Gjeelea would wonder why they do not have such high positions be given for certain terms of years, regardless of race.

3) The princess would prefer having her betrothed rule (even regardless of personality/manners/ etc.), for it would give her more input and say into how things are done within Pashtia when her husband becomes the king. Ultimately, Gjeelea would rather have her say in matters of state than have her little brother making all the decisions. However, in public she most certainly supports her brother.

-Aylwen

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 11-11-2004 at 04:39 AM. Reason: spelling...goodness me...
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Morgôs Elrigon: General of Pasthia

Huzzah! Hooray! Hosanna! Hooplah! Halitosis!
The thread, she is open! Long have I awaited this...
Here, friends, O-mans, and countrymen, is my 'profile' (note the semi-quotation marks, peoples), for the Elven General of Pashtia

Morgôs (his Pashtian name, pron. MOR-gōs) - called Elrigon by family and other Avari (Avarin name, meaning “Star-Crowned Man” from Primitive Elvish, pron. EL-rig'on) - is an Avari, considered the mightiest general of Pashtia. Many say that he is, in fact, the greatest commander to ever lead an army in the east...

Morgôs, like all of his kind, is great in stature and fair to look upon, though he is less so than many of his kin because of his age. His face holds a pale, whitened complexion, framed by long and silky raven hair, braided and tasseled with silver filaments. His eyes are grayer than they are blue, dusky, and always murky and vague, like a slowly whirling eddy encompassed in each orb. Many who see him claim that it is near impossible to tell where his gaze has settled, because of the mistiness of the eyes and their nature, flashing like white flames, glistening like radiant stars. Morgôs’ sharp, chiseled features have dulled over the years, and the first meager signs of age have marred his Elven beauty. He is not muscular, but instead is slender and quick, though not extraordinarily nimble or sprightly. He rarely runs, and his manner is very slow and collected, so he is not thought of as swift, but his presence is often considered imposing purely because of his reputation.

He bears a regal air, one possessed by only the noblest of men and Elves. His gait is stately, as are his mannerisms, and his class and gentility are renowned, though such qualities virtually evaporate during combat. He is stern, often, but is jovial when it is appropriate to be so. He carries himself in a commanding fashion, and his voice of gruff and loud, with barely any residual Elven melody left in it. He is ever polite and sophisticated, thought to be the last of a dying breed in Pashtia, but his is far from perfect. He is ruthless and without mercy whenever his orders require such feelings. He has no qualms about war, or killing, as his years of subjugation and warfare have desensitized him to bloodshed in all its forms. He is capable of compassion, but only for his family, and sometimes his King. His own people are no longer favored by him, as he has placed service to the throne and desire for power above all else. He does not hesitate to follow royal orders, nor does he question them except under the most extreme conditions.

Once, long ago, when the Avari Elves were in the thrall of eastern men, he was more righteous, rebellious, and vigorous. Now, his methods are more tactful. His former thunderous luster is now lost to the royal court, but is retained on the battlefield. Morgôs is infamous for his ‘furies,’ as his semi-psychotic combat spasms were dubbed by some soldiers beneath him. He has been known to (only in direct, face-to-face combat, and rarely even under those circumstances) nearly lose grasp of reality, and berate the very borders of sanity with his incendiary anger and warrior’s rages. Strangely, he remains fully in control of his faculties during these bouts, and fights with dignified grace, and a simple Elvish temperament, but his vision of morality and soldiery ethics are blurred, causing him to become overly ferocious, and nearly unstoppable. He never loses his composure off of the battlefield, though. When given an objective, Morgôs pursues the ends doggedly and without relent. His view on achieving such ends is that all means used to obtain them are fully justified, which has led him to commit great atrocities against the Alanzian troops in the last war. He is not easily manipulated, merely loyal to a fault. His one weakness is that loyalty, which is so unflinching that it could easily result in something truly horrible. Morgôs is mightily ambitious, and lets nothing stand in his way.

i) The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rhais. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above the goddess of the earth. Does the player’s character support or oppose the construction of the new temple?

Morgôs opposes the building of the new temple, but not greatly. As someone who’s only memories contain faith in Rea and Rhais, and the roots of both their worshipping, Morgôs is against any change, in favor or against his kindred who might disagree, and the two deities. He is dutifully accustomed to his routine and his station in life. He is, though, more an advocate of Rea, since he has his own link to the sky, as far as his beliefs go, and identifies with Rea. Of course, he finds that deity equality is best. His position of power might be compromised by a national transferal of faith, suddenly. Morgôs has never been very religious, as a military leader cannot afford to end up supporting a belief that has become dated or impolitic. Whenever approached about his opinion, he feigns objectivity, but has slipped enough visible messages on the matter to make clear his position. He is generally behind King Faroz in his actions, and will support what he supports, regardless of his own beliefs. If the King ever changes his position, chances are, Morgôs will as well. He has always been known for his staunch and sometimes violent support of royal actions, primarily because of his desire to remain close to King Faroz on the political spectrum.

ii) For the last few years there have been calls for a law that would limit the term of service of any Avari in a royal posting to ninety-nine years. There are many amongst the nobility who feel that too many of the highest positions in the kingdom are closed to humans by the immortals who currently occupy them. Does the player’s character think that such a law would be just?

Morgôs is completely against such a law, for obvious reasons. He has served in a royal post for hundreds of years, and such a law would force him to immediately relinquish his position. Ever since his days as a volatile activist for Avari rights, Morgôs has been opposed to the idea that Avari deserve less than their fair share. Though many Pashtians believe that the Avari receive that share, Morgôs still yearns for more, but no longer for his people, simply for himself. A law like this would severely impede the progress of the Avari towards further power in the Pashtian government and limit Morgos' power drastically. Morgôs is prepared to defend this position as long as the matter is discussed, and plans to use his control of the Pashtian military as a defining factor in the final decision if things get out of hand.

iii) The King has yet to declare his heir. Does the player’s character think that it should be the King’s son, who is the younger child, or should the King choose his daughter, in which case the noble she is promised to in marriage will rule?

Publicly, Morgôs is supports the younger son, because the law of Pashtia clearly states what should occur in such a situation. Morgôs, though not in complete support of Pashtian law, extols its virtues constantly in an attempt to keep himself from falling out of political favor. Privately, he is also for the son. Even though he values the experience that comes with age, both the King's daughter and the lord she is betrothed to are dissolute, in his opinion. Either way, he plans to support the son fervently, unless he is ‘swayed’ by the other party. Secretly, he hopes to secrete a political alliance between himself and the Prince, affiliation and support in exchange for furthering of his own career. Despite his endorsement of current law, as long as Morgôs remains in power and prospering, he doesn’t care what minor or major amendments are made to it. The King can’t live forever, and neither can his ways…Morgôs, on the other hand, can.

Master Fordim, O Lord, King, Ruler, and Etcetera, I hope this is all good. I look forward to the beginning of the game - a lot. I know my 'basic description' is too long, but I have neither the time nor the proper number of primates to pruduce anything *terse*.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 11-12-2004 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Numerous edits and changes
Old 11-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield steps in briefly as Moderator

A couple of points:

Quote:
posted by Fordim:

Perhaps Bb could edit the first post accordingly. . .? *inserting the imaginary "hopeful" smilie here*

To be clear, the question that I would like gamers to answer is:

The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rea. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above Rhais, the goddess of the earth.

I've also caught a spelling error in the first post. There the male sky god is identified as "Rae", but it should be "Rea" (RAY-ah).
I have made the correction to the question here, for the benefit of potential gamers, Fordim, but I will let you make any changes to the first post when you open the game thread.

Yes, that's right, Writers of the Mark. Game founders in Rohan can start the game thread, once they are satisfied everyone is ready to start the game.

On to the other point:

Quote:
posted by Fordim:
While I do have some specific plot points, gamers will be expected to move the plot along themselves. The development of the game should closely resemble the Green Dragon Inn and the White Horse Inn, where gamers interactively create a story rather than passively react to events as outlined for them by the game owner. Plot twists and new developments will not only be tolerated but actively encouraged. Gamers will be asked to use the Discussion Thread to discuss possible plot developments with one another: alternately, if a gamer would like to spring a surprise on everyone else, they can contact me via PM. It is my sincere hope that the intrigues and relationships in this game will become nothing less than Byzantine in their complexity. As a consequence, gamers will be allowed and expected to take the initiative in gameplay.
I want to support Fordim's point here and encourage you all to take him up on his offer. Byzantine but of course not labyrinthian--unless of course gamers all follow Ariadne's thread.

As Fordim says, this game will live or die upon the quality of the interactions between the game players. He has specifically designed the game to allow for this and to be an intermediate level, Rohan game and I am very excited by this possibility. This is different from the kind of organising principle which the first level gaming forum, The Shire, quite rightly uses, where the game founder identifies the plot developments and the gamers simply respond to them.

Rohan gamers, however, are experienced gamers who understand plotting, character development, and interactive writing. They thus have earned more independence and responsibility--and are expected to demonstrate both. They are expected to recognise the stages and nuances of rising and falling action, helping to build up suspense or the drama of particular events as well as develope complexities of characterisation and interactions.

Gamers for "Shadow of the West" thus are expected to read closely the game posts, to attend to the cues and hooks and ideas written into the posts, and to respond to them in their own posts rather than through elaborate talk about the posts in the discussion thread (although of course such talk will still occur when the need arises, rather than routinely). This game is not like a piece of modern art, which appears meaningless or confusing without the the artist's verbal explanation. Like a good short story, it should incorporate its own meaning within itself and even the unexpected plot twists (which of course will be discussed with Fordim via PM or on the discussion thread with each other) will not be random events but will have some groundwork laid within the game itself. Reading back, we should be able to say, 'Oh, of course, why didn't I see that?' But of course, if we had, that would also defeat the fun!

In short, look to the posts! Read well and write wisely, as of course you all know how to do.

Now, to change hats and get my character's responses to Fordim's issues...

Last edited by Bęthberry; 11-11-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Queen Bekah

Indeed, a superb idea, Fordim, to borrow Piosenniel's method. I hope you will continue her wise ways. In keeping with your wishes to avoid a bio or history now, I offer these responses of the Queen to your issues.

Queen Bekah, once Princess Bekah of Alanzia, and now known also as "Mayiam, "Lady of Cool Water", is the quietly competent consort of King Faroz. She arrived in Pashia as a young adolescent as part of a dynastic marriage intended to secure peace between her country and Pashia. She faced considerable hostility and mistrust upon her arrival and has worked assiduously to earn the trust and respect of the Pastians without being seen as a traitor to Alanzia. To this end, she has not courted issues of power and politics and has instead sought to identify herself with social and cultural issues, focusing upon her role as mother and the higher issues of statehood and just order. To this end, she has educated her children thoroughly in the culture of both Pashtia and Alanzia, drawn around her a small retinue of people from both countries and many ranks; she has been mainly responsible for helping to establish trade between the two countries. She has wisely not displayed her personal feelings but has always been guided by the question of what is best for continued peace, which she sees as proceeding from a strong central monarchy.

Her response to these three issues is based upon that main criterion: what will ensure the greater good and a strong monarch.

May the Queen humbly ask where the King stands in relation to these questions or is that part of secret game strategy?
Old 11-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

It's good to be King

Ah, the appeal of royal priviledge.

Unlike my. . .er. . .Faroz's subjects, the King gets to remain silent on these issues until such time as he has decided them. Suffice to say that his decisions will be made based upon what his subjects have to say on the matter.

Of course, as he becomes more and more drawn by the Ring, who knows what that might do to his decision making abilities. . .? *insert ominous music here*

Sudden Note

Which reminds me! In the highly enjoyable Bloodstained Elanor there was some heated discussion relatively early on about appropriate theme music for the game. The final determination (for myself at least) was the big heroic battle/theme from Gladiator which I hummed to myself obsessively as I wrote and/or thought about the epic battle sequences that I indulged myself in during that game.

So I must ask -- what should the theme music be for Shadow of the West? I myself am a bit partial to the more eastern-inspired music of Loreena McKennit's latest CDs. Moody, etheral, but with some nice earthy/folksy/roots-music bases to keep them steadied, It's kind of like the more new agey stuff of Enya but much more energetic and historical-sounding.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #13
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Muscle over mind

Like many others, I didn't want to play in another game, but when it came to this game, I really, sincerely, desperately wanted to. So may I introduce a likeable ( ) fellow:

---------------

Korak is a lord with great wealthy and little brain. That is to say, while he isn't out and out stupid, he doesn't care to use the intelligence he's been given, but prefers all things to be handled in a manner which uses physichal strength, not mental strength. It's a bit contrary to the general idea of his people, his disregard for intellect, for cultivation of the mind and of skills, but he doesn't care. In fact, you may say he doesn't have enough intelligence to notice that he's very much different. He harbours no feelings of love for the princess he intends to marry, and is only interested in her for the sake of alliances and for the sake of having an 'heir,' so to speak, to inherit his wealth and lands, whether it be his wife or a son. A very brief description of his outward appearance would be that he has semi-long hair of a dark colour that is braided, and his long beard is also braided. His skin is a rich brown, and likewise his eyes. He shows no outward sign of his 'stupidity.' It must be carefully noted, by the way, that Korak is not completely dense, but he is not completely intelligent, either, and he holds muscle over mind.

i) The King has been asked by several of his nobles to erect a new temple in the city to the honour of Rhais. This party hopes that such a temple will help their cause to have the sky god worshipped above the goddess of the earth. Does the player?s character support or oppose the construction of the new temple?

Korak is for the building of the new temple. He feels that a woman's place is that of wife and mother, and that a woman should not hold a position of power, even if it's a goddess concerned. Promoted worship of the sky god, he is sure, will 'put women in their proper place.' It's unlikely that Korak is one of the nobles that came up with the idea, for he wouldn't be really able to think of such a thing, but he probably was one of the nobles who petitioned to the King.

ii) For the last few years there have been calls for a law that would limit the term of service of any Avari in a royal posting to ninety-nine years. There are many amongst the nobility who feel that too many of the highest positions in the kingdom are closed to humans by the immortals who currently occupy them. Does the player?s character think that such a law would be just?

Short and simple, Korak doesn't care, because he's more than a little ignorant of the calls for such a law. If he was fully aware of it, he still wouldn't care, as long as it didn't hurt him.

iii) The King has yet to declare his heir. Does the player?s character think that it should be the King?s son, who is the younger child, or should the King choose his daughter, in which case the noble she is promised to in marriage will rule?

Naturally Korak wants the daughter to be heir. After all, he's going to marry her. Need more be said?

In short Korak is very handsome, a little dense, a bit of a brute, and rather power hungry.

---------------

I'm all for Loreena McKennitt, Fordim, though I've got only one CD of hers. (*slaps forehead* Why didn't I listen to her while I was writing out this 'bio?')

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention: this blighter here is that one lord that was still available.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #14
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Having learned from the master herself, I want here to lay out, in full piosenniel fashion, an updated list of characters:

The Royal Family

King Faroz (FAR-osz): Fordim Hedgethistle

Queen Bekah: Bęthberry

Princess Gjeelea (Jill-laya): Aylwen

Prince Siamak: Firefoot

Members of the Royal Court (human)

The Lord Korak: Nurumaiel

The Lady Arshalous: Imladris

Members of the Royal Court (an Avari family)

General Morgôs (Elrigon): Kransha

Arlomë: Alaklondewen

Their grown child, male or female

Priests

One male

One female: Amanaduial the Archer

Still needed:

Priests

One male

OK -- so that's two votes for McKennit.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Fordim, put me down for Loreena McKennit as well. I'd say those tones have the proper 'foreign' feel, so that we do not become grounded in Howard Shore's ever familiar canon-musicality. We're doing a different thing, a different beat, and we need a different tune to carry us along.

But, might I also suggest a mere sprinkling of Bizet, for the more exciting and lively moments, and a tempermental douse of Rimsky-Korskov for the...umm...exoticism?

My 2 kopeks, take and/or leave, as you will.

P.S. Each day my patience thins as to the beginning of this game. T'would be best, Mighty Fordim, to be apt and swift with thy arrangements - if thou knowest what my meaning is (I shan't be a-wanting to send you the way of Rosenkranz and Guildenstern).[/bad-shakespearean-english]

Old 11-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #16
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, Nuru!

Hmmmm *evil grin* This will indeed get quite interesting! Two power-hungry people...where will it lead?

I admit to not knowing much about Loreena McKennit. The only song I've heard from her was her rendition of "Highwayman" but that was back in 7th grade when we were reading the poem.

I guess my vote goes for McKennit, though, since everyone else is voting for her.

-Aylwen

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 11-11-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #17
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Thank you kindly, Fordim, for accepting my character.

Personally, Aylwen, I wouldn't marry such a man as my character is, so I hope your own character differs enough from me that she'll continue to have at least some reason to marry him! He had to be handsome, for your (character's) sake.

While looking over the list of current players, I'm thrilled to see that I 'know' all of you at least a little bit. It makes me feel quite at home.

And, before I skip away, let me say, as Kransha did, that I'm more than eager for the game to begin, especially when I reflect on what a stunning cast of players I see thus far!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #18
Beserker_Warrior
Pile O'Bones

Beserker_Warrior has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye If it's still okay...

This game seems interesting, sooo. I'd like to play the male preist if he's still up for grabs.

Krishnal is tall and looks somewhat middle eastern. He seems to always be wrapped in shadow. He is a secretive supporter of Sauron and is waitning for the right moment to declare his allegiance. He is a priest of the sky goddess and is in favor of no laws that aren't his own.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #19
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield Wrong forum! Try The Shire

Beserker_Warrior,

Thank you for your interest in this game. However, you are not eligible to join it. Only gamers on the list of Rohan Game Players or Game Founders may join this game, or those on the Gondorian list. The Rohan list can be found in The Golden Hall, where the rules for gaming at the Barrow Downs are also found.

Please visit the Green Dragon in The Shire and apply to join some Shire games. That way you can become acquainted with the Barrow Downs style and standards for for gaming and can therebye earn your way into Rohan. You should also read The Redbook of Westmarch thread, also in The Shire forum.

Bęthberry,
Moderator for Rohan
Old 11-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #20
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Some questions about these wealthy people

I was (getting ahead of myself and) thinking about what kind of first post I could do, and I found to my horror that, while I know my character fairly well, I don't know his situation in life. The Customs and Manners from the proposal clears up all the basics, but I have one or two (or a few) questions.

Considering that this Lord I play (and also the Lady that Imladris will play) has wealth and some lands, how would his situation differ from other people? Would he simply have wealth and lands, and maybe a bigger house? Or would there be more, such as some sort of plantation or something? Would he actually be somewhat similar to lords of long ago, and possess his own little 'kingdom,' even if the King were the ultimate ruler? Would he have 'servants,' of a sort at least? Would he, being a man, actually work, or would he, being a wealthy man, be able to stay about at home and sit on his richly-coloured cushions all day, or maybe ride about on his fine steed? Also I gather that his parents, if living, would live in the same home as he?

That's all!

For now... *mad laughter, and a swirl of the Black Cloak I have donned in honour of my Deathday*
Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #21
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

*echoes Nuru's questions*

Also, this might sound a bit silly, but would/should Arshalous and Korak be related in some way?

As I said, it is a silly question, but it's been bugging me for a while...

Old 11-12-2004, 02:09 PM   #22
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Quote:
Still needed:

I'd be interested in playing that character, if you still need it. Let me put up a description right away. Is it alright?
Old 11-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #23
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Trial and Trivia-elations

Ai! Ai!

I have doscovered some positively glaring inaccuracies in my description of Morgôs! They are now corrected, but I suggest that, to those who it may seem relevant to, check the description again, for it has certainly been altered in several respects (I, like others, got the two Pasthian deities mixed up, which I didn't realize at the time). I changed the answers to 2 of the three questions posed.
-Morgôs is in full support of the King's son to be the next monarch. (*See original post for details)
-Morgôs is about half opposed to the building of a temple to Rea. (*same)

I am still looking forward, and upward, and etcetera, if that is a direction at all. So far, it seemed as if the only characters in the game would be those who are in general agreement with Morgôs about the three issues, but, lo and behold, a few dissidents have come. I see a lot of powerful people in the stands this fair eve, but, I...err, Morgôs, has the army of Pashtia situated neatly behind him, with King Faroz's standard borne over him, of course. Don't make me go Sulla on all y'all, ya hear?

P.S. Some of you may have noticed a strange name being used in my original post as well. That was Morgôs' 'preliminary' name, before I thought of the name Morgôs. When I typed all that up, I had the old name in each space, rather than the actual one that is currently in use.

Last edited by Kransha; 11-12-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #24
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Wow -- I go into a committee meeting for an afternoon and this place goes nuts in my absence!

To answer the various questions:

Nuru and Imladris: I have imagined these members of the nobiilty as being extremely powerful members of the royal court: that is, they have large amounts of property and control a vast amount of wealth. This is a feudal society, so they will have armed soldiers and cavalry of their own, but these troops will, of of course, be part of the king's army and under royal control. Think of your characters as the "colonel's" of your soldiers with the King and his general (Kransha's character) as the, well, generals.

Given that they have wealth, armed men and land, they have political power. Their opinion has real weight and they know this. Depending on where everyone lives, the two analogies that work best I think are that these nobles are powerful Senators to the King's President, or front bench cabinet ministers to the King's Prime Minister. A Middle-earth analogy would be that these nobles are like Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, or Erkenbrand of the Westfold.

As to their families, living arrangments, and day to day lives, I leave those entirely up to you.

Imladris: not a silly question at all! Again, I leave it to you guys to decide if they are related -- but if you want my opinion I would think that it might add to the drama of the story if they were related, but not on very good terms. . .

Orofaniel: not too late at all. Put up the description at your convenience.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #25
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Thanks for answering our questions!

Quote:
but if you want my opinion I would think that it might add to the drama of the story if they were related, but not on very good terms. . .
My thoughts exactly...the reason I asked was because I wasn't sure if it was our preference or what...

What d'ya say, Nuru?

Old 11-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #26
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Thank you, Fordim, for the answers! Would living arrangements, which is up to us, include the choice of giving them servants or not giving them servants? I'm not quite sure if that would be too oppressive, considering that the people have a fairly open mind to equality. Or, at least so I gathered from the first post... they aren't exactly tyrannical fellows.

Imladris, if some sort of relationship between the Lord and Lady would create conflict and increase intrigue, then let them be related! As you were the one who originally posed the question (in oppose to me): did you have anything particular in mind?

Quote:
Their opinion has real weight and they know this.
One of the only things that Lord Korak really does know.

I was just thinking: Imagine, if you will, the Sir Percy of the earlier chapters of The Scarlet Pimpernel... but this Lord Korak is Sir Percy's evil twin... stupid, yes, good-hearted, no. I mainly wrote what I just did in this paragraph to serve as a refresher for my own mind, so I might stick to the basic essence of Korak's character even if he changes a little bit in the course of the story.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #27
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
did you have anything particular in mind?
Well....I was thinking more or less cousins...with Korak extremely annoyed that she's not supporting him openly. Or would that be out of character?

Old 11-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #28
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots Incoming: Sick-weirdo-priest..

Hi! This looks great: the game itself and the characters so far!! :-D

Applying for male priest:

His name is Tarkan. (It’s a Turkish name, but your descriptions reminded me so much of middle-east/Asian (Turkey, being half European and half Asian) culture and society that I hope a Turkish name will do. If not, I’ll edit.)

He is a very skinny man. He has long arms and legs; he's tall like a tree. He has greasy, black hair, which reaches him to the lower half of his back. Sometimes he binds in into one single plait. Turkan’s face bears some very unusual features. He has large, dark rings under his black-grey eyes. His hooked nose is long, and ends with a huge tip and two big holes: his nostrils. He's quite pale, which gives him the look of being seriously ill at all times. In addition to this, his face bears features of the feminine kind; the high cheek bones, the smooth skin and the thin blood-red lips. But even though he might appear feminine, he is a true man in heart. ( ) He is the King's half-brother, and nothing tempts him more than power; the throne. He wants it, and he wants it badly.

As a Priest, he is very religious, but he has always favoured Rea over Rhais. Naturally, he would be delighted if the King would build a new temple; even more so, if he was to be the upper priest in the temple. Since Tarkan has lost faith in the goddess of earth, Rhais, this new temple would be a good opportunity for him to get Rea's aid in achieving his goals...

He does not support such a law. Men are weak, Avaris are not. As simple as that..

King Faroz heir will certainly not be the son, Tarkan will see to that. He wants the King to announce the daughter (if not himself.. ) to be his heir, so that the man she marries will be set to rule. Tarkan has himself grown quite fond of the little princess, and in the sick mind of his, he is planning to marry her, hopefully with the King’s support...

I hope this lil' weirdo is sick enough for you, Fordim. Hehe. Nah, joking. I hope he will do. I already have quite a few plans for this man, which I hopefully will get the opportunity to add later on.

Cheers,
Nova
Old 11-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Abroad thoughts from the home front

The Queen humbly wishes to pose another question of his August Majesty... Oh, wait, the game has not started.

Fordim, all your characters here are Pastians, except for the Emissary of course. It is possible to suggest minor or cameo roles for characters in Alanzia? Or should this be handled a secondary characters which one of us can do?

I am thinking particularly of the half-brother of Queen Bekah who rules Alanzia now. But I also have some traders and merchants in mind, who travel between the two countries establishing trade. So far, this game is very top heavy, with members of the aristocracy. Can we widen the social base a bit? I see Alanzia as a less stratified country socially, where merchants are not viewed as socially inferior. Should I make up brief descriptions for them and "advertise" for gamers? Or would that open up too many Byzantine prospects? I am willing to 'carry' these characters should you prefer that route.

I have other secondary characters also, such as servants, who will appear in my posts from time to time.

I would like to offer a place in the Queen's retinue to Alak's Arlomë, if such is acceptable to Alak's plans.

And might I suggest something to Aylwen? I imagine there is some very natural antagonism between Bekah and her daughter, as is usual during the teen years when a daughter is establishing herself as an adult and wanting to move beyond the mother's sphere. This need not be a political dispute but for the time simply a personal state in their relationship. Does this make any sense to you?

Right now, my ideas for the 'retinue' are simply to have a group of people, it could be just women, or it could include men, who weave tapistries. These and carpets are one of the prime commodities being traded between the two countries, althought spices, wheat, sugar beets and jewellry are also traded.

Not that I want to bring Alanzia so prominently into the game. Well, maybe I do. Just to give Fordim some things to think about so he can enjoy his role as Game Founder.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #30
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Nova: my likey. So slimy and rotten -- Tarkan will certainly add something to the game. I imagine, given your description of him however, that Faroz is not terribly fond of this half-brother. Still, filial duty is important to the King. . .

Bethberry: now why do you want to go and give a poor old GO like me a headache? But to address your query.

Everyone in the game has a lot of latitude in creating secondary characters -- we will have to since, as you point out, this is an 'aristocratic' game and we will need servants, soldiers, attendants etc etc etc. All I ask is that everyone try to keep it from getting out of hand. I am not terribly fond of the idea of introducing player-characters for Alanzia. I have played in a couple games with different 'groups' or 'plots' and while they were interesting there were problems with co-ordinating them; some plots would go sterile waiting for others to catch up. I really do want to keep the game focused on Pashtia.

There are also some plot points coming along that might make Alanzian player-characters a bit problematic. . . (first hint)

All that having been said -- if an approved gamer wants to introduce a cameo character for brief time, and have that character written by someone else, then I suppose I won't have a problem with that. Obviously, I would want to be in on the decision however!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #31
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Ooh, my semi-hemi-demi-Elven neck hairs are positively erect in anticipation!

I really have nothing to say, except that, I believe this is going to be an award-winning game in every respect, considering the almightiness of the Owner, the comprehensive ideas, and the cast so far. If ever it is finished, nay, begun, it shall most likely be worthy of the Tolkienion Medal of Honor. Such a delving into one of Tolkien's undiscussed aspects has not been, I daresay, successfully attempted before, save in a few instances. So, in short, I can't wait.

Alak, if I may insert an opinion, if you are not already going to take up Bęthberry's proposal and offer, I suggest that such a developement might be very interesting. Morgôs, as an Avari General and a Elf who's warred with Alanzia for centuries, is not entirely trusting of Queen Bekah, and bears a deep resentment against King Faroz for marrying an Alanzian for political reasons. If, by some courtly quirk, Morgôs' own spouse was part of the Queen's entourage...well, I believe you get the idea (consults nearest copy of Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars to get into politcal mood).

Fordim: If we have, as you said, the latitude to creat secondary, assisting characters, I assume that I have some leeway to create a few ideosynchratic officers to clutter up the ranks of the Pashtian army, yes? I can run a few ideas by you when they are prepared. Ought the higher echelons of the Pashtian military be Avari or mortal, by the way?

Last edited by Kransha; 11-13-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #32
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Kransha, thank you for your input as it saves me time requesting it. I actually agree that it would add some intrigue into the relationship.

Bb, I would like to know a bit more about what Arlomë's role would be. Is this something of a day job of weaving? What would be her relationship (and possibly, duty) to the Queen? Any clarification would be help my decision.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:40 AM   #33
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

OK -- updating again.

All the parts are now filled, but we are still waiting on character information from Orofaniel and Aman.

Gentle Nudge, Gentle Nudge.

Here is my tentative plan for getting the game going.

I will be very busy with RL for the next few days, so Oro and Aman will have that time to get their characters ready. The rest of you can use that time to figure out the kinds of questions about relationships between the characters that you are pursuing with such wonderful energy.

On Wednesday morning I will put up a post here on the DT in which I will cover some important issues about beginning the game, etc. Essentially, last minute housekeeping. I will also open the Game Thread with the first post. Please watch for the DT post and read it first before posting to the game.

Just to give you all a heads up, however: the game will begin at a formal dinner in honour of the Emissary's arrival. Everyone is there, it is night, and they are eating. There are a large number of smaller tables scattered about the room where people can eat or sit and talk with whomever they want, so feel free to 'mingle' -- just imagine it as a version of one of the Inns, and game away.

I'll have more on this for Wednesday, but in case you wanted to start thinking about your first posts I thought I'd give this out now. The first posts should probabaly begin with everyone entering the large formal dining hall from the central garden where they've been listening to a singer. Who will your character sit with and talk to? How does he or she react to the Emissary? etc etc etc.

The King will be in the hall already, sitting before one of the low tables with the Emissary. You can sit with him or not, as you wish.

The Royal Family

King Faroz (FAR-osz): Fordim Hedgethistle

Queen Bekah: Bęthberry

Princess Gjeelea (Jill-laya): Aylwen

Prince Siamak: Firefoot

Members of the Royal Court (human)

The Lord Korak: Nurumaiel

The Lady Arshalous: Imladris

General Morgôs (Elrigon): Kransha

Arlomë: Alaklondewen

Their grown child, male or female: Orofaniel

Priests

Tarkan (half-brother to the King): Novnarwen

One female: Amanaduial the Archer
Old 11-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #34
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Ooooooooh....

I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the way the game looks (at least for my character). With Imladris' Lady Arshalous, a relation, and Novnarwen's Tarkan, a rival for the princess' hand, Korak is going to have plenty of reason to throw goblets at his servants and stalk up and down his room, growling and snarling in frustration.

How beautiful is conflict.

Fordim, I shall probably want to introduce at least one cameo character: Lord Korak's chief man... the fellow he throws goblets at.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #35
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
pants! i meant to right a bio etc a couple of nights ago..except i kinda left the bathtaps running and flooded the bathroom, so i didnt get round to doing it because i was mopping up the water that had come down through the ceiling into the lounge.My parents weren't too happy, i'm just so easily distracted! anyway, if you need someone to fill in at anytime, or any little cameo roles that need filling let me know and i shall see what i can do. (i'll try not to flood the bathroom again!)
Old 11-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #36
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Several points to cover!

If I may step in here just briefly as the Rohan Moderator, I would like to comment on the use of the term "Game Owner." I know that term is used widely in BD, but so also is the term "Game Founder." I prefer the latter, which is used with "Game Manager" in The Golden Hall.

Why? Because I do not believe, with experienced gamers in Rohan, that a game is "owned" by the person who runs it or who proposed it. The game is created through the responsible and independent interaction of all the gamers who write it. No gamer "owns" the writing of another gamer. Fordim's desire to encourage all of us to game actively rather than passively is thoroughly in keeping with this vision of co-operative gaming. I would thus ask that everyone keep in mind that all of you, all the game players, are game owners here.

*puts on other hat as gamer*

Alak, please do not feel your character must become part of the court retinue with the Queen. My use of the tapestry example is in part based upon the role of courtly women in medieval society. The Queen would need a retinue because she will require "ladies in Waiting", attendants, someone to help her manage her daily work and obligations. I had thought it might be a natural for the General's wife to be given the role of "overseer" of the Enemy Queen. as she would also be a way to help Bekah learn about this foreign culture. Bekah, after all, was raised in a culture which banished elves. They were terrifying foreign entities to her when she first arrived. Has she come to know them, understand them, trust them, like them?

Kransha's comment about how he harbours mistrust of Faroz for marrying an enemy raised an interesting question to me. I had assumed that Faroz and Bekah were given to this marriage of alliance by their parents/ ruling monarchs. I had not considered that Faroz had been king during the last war. If the marriage was the will of his father (presumably) why would the General object so strongly to Faroz's accepting it? So, how much older than Bekah is Faroz? and was he king during the last war? Was Kransha's General the military leader during the last war or has he onver the last twenty years risen to this rank?

And, to be honest, as a gamer, I am wondering if all of these questions aren't something which would more interestingly be brought out in game posts rather than in discussion here. Just an idea.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #37
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Bb, I am in total agreement with you, that such matters would be more appropriately sorted out in the game, so as to create more interesting surroundings, but I will make a brief little stab of a point. According to Fordim's wonderful overview of Pasthian culture: In Alanzia, "the immortal devils" as the Elves are called there, are forbidden, on pain of instant death.

Morgôs' dislike of Alanzia would at least be fueled thus far, by that fact. He sees Alanzians as racists, and as the enemy (regardless I suppose, of how long he's been fighting them). Of course, I'm sure that fleshing out the other reasons, the deeper, darker, and 'funner' ones in the actual game is a better solution. Either way, I'm fairly sure that I, personally, will get plenty of enjoyment out of antagonizing the character of a mod (hoo-ha, superiority complex coming on!).

Plus, this situation gets us all a charming little quadrangle of intrigue. Morgôs is loyal to Faroz, but doesn't like his wife. Arlomë, his wife, is close to the queen, who her husband despises. Depending on how public these opinions, the queen (this is all up to you, Bb, obviously) might resent the General, which puts Faroz in a strange position as well....Yes, that's some quadrangle...parellogram...quadrilateral, maybe?

P.S. I just realized, whenever I quote Fordim's passage about the Customs and Manners of Pashtia, I feel like I'm quoting HoME, The Laws and Customs of the Eldar.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #38
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Bb, I hope I did not make you think I wasn't interested in Arlomë's role in the court, because I am...very. So thank you for elaborating what you had in mind. I think this will add an interesting element to the mix, so count me in.

I cannot wait for this game to begin.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #39
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Stepping in as Game Manager

Thanks very much Bb for bringing us back to the appropriate language here. Think of me as an administrator everyone. The world, relationships, culture, history, everything Pashtian is up to US to explore and discover as the game unfolds.

To that end -- let's do as much of that as we can as the game goes along, rather than here in the DT, either before the game begins or once it is underway. Again, let me cite the Inns as the best example: there are not DTs for the Inns, so all developments are accomplished through the game interaction itself. If there's something you want to do that directly impacts another character, check via PM first. But if it's anything else, just do it and we can all adjust/react to that.

For my part then -- not weighing in at all on why, how, where, the relations or implications of the marriage to Bekah -- I will state simply that Faroz is 42. I will also cite a relevant passage from the "Customs and Manners":

Quote:
Their last war lasted nearly ten years and cost the lives of thousands upon both sides. It was finally ended when the Kings of Alanzia and Pashtia agreed to marry their children.
So it would appear that Faroz was not King when he was married to Bekah and the war was ended. As the children of that union would appear to be in their early twenties, then I can only surmise that Faroz and Bekah have been married for 25 years, making Faroz 17 at the time of their marriage. Hmmm. . .I wonder if he fought in the war directly -- perhaps WHEN THE GAME BEGINS his general or his Queen will clear this up for me. . .

Delighted by the enthusiasm, but let's try to keep a lid on it for a bit. I really do want the creativity to take place IN THE GAME THREAD.

More Gentle Nudging -- if Oro and Aman could be persuaded to give us character descriptions, perhaps I can open the Game Thread sooner than planned and "let loose the dogs of Rohan".

One More Parting Word -- Remember, approach the game as you would gaming at the Inns. Create your characters in the game threads, introduce new plot twists at every opportunity, develop relationships with other characters in the game. . .in brief, embark upon the story with an eye to discovery. Remember how Tolkien wrote LotR, and "discovered" Strider was a Man, and then had to figure out what he was to the Ring?
Old 11-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #40
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
This game just keeps getting more interesting - and we haven't even started yet!

Kransha, the bit about your character looking to form an alliance with Siamak sounds very promising.