Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #161
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Time to shake things up

OK -- so the game had gone kind of quiescent there, and I figured that rather than trying to whip you all into shape (since I am guiltier than anyone of letting it slip quietly into the night) I would just throw everything for a loop. Hence the latest, somewhat dramatic, post.

Time has moved forward by six months and life in Pashtia has been changed dramatically. I gotta say, that right now things are not looking good for the Pashtians. . .and they're going to get a lot worse from here on in. Khamul, as he is now called, is going to be plotting against his enemies and trying to secure his absolute power so that he can make a gift of his realm to his new best friend the Lord Annatar. . .

I just hope that the few good people of his kingdom can find a way to stop him.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #162
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
May I begin by saying: Great post, Fordim. Its always refreshing to feel like I'm actually reading a snippet of Tolkien in a game.

Second and, more importantly: Since the timeline's moved along six months, I assume people's lives have been severely altered. Your post mentioned that the Temple of Rhais is going to be (or has been?) destroyed, so a lot of the priestesses are out of a job, and Jarult is, but would it be to brash of me to have Morgos remain General? It would be, at this point, a totally vestigial position, and he'll have been shoved into a meaningless job with no real power over the army as he once had. Obviously this does not mean that he is still Khamul's trusted lieutenant, but, if Khamul is an adherant of the "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" proverb, he might see fit to keep Morgos in his court as a useless relic before he deals a more lethal blow.

Or has he been "laid off" like so many others?

Either way, he's still invariably linked to the King, even if he isn't really "Faroz" anymore.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #163
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Kransha, as always, you have some very good questions. In response to them I will only say this. . .

We'll have to wait for people to start posting to the game again so that we can know the answers!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #164
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aman is having major problems with her computer - it's not allowing her onto the Downs. I'm posting this here at her request:

~*~ Pio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friends, Pashtians, countrymen/countrywomen/countrypersons of indescriminate gender....

Lend me your eyes. I come to make excuses, not to bury them.
The evil that a Barrowdowner does lives with them;
This evil is oft intered in their computer.
So has it been with my computer. The noble Pio
Comes to tell you that my computer has thrown a paddy and cannot get onto the Downs:
As it is so, it is a grievous fault,
And grievously I cannot (therefore) answer it (the RPG, that is).
Here, under leave of Fordim and the rest -
For Fordy is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men/women/persons of indescriminate gender -
Come I to speak my excuses.

...ok, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I am, as you say, killing Shakespeare dead; quite a feat after a couple-a hundred years already lying in a cursed grave, but nevertheless one that is probably punishable by the slapping by a wet fish. And so I stop, however the allusion to Julius Ceasar is in my mind to this RPG.

The reason for this post? Well, my computer has, as I said, had a paddy - it is refusing to allow me access to the Barrowdowns at all. Most disagreeable. I am therefore obviously unable to read the RPG posts. Now the good saint Pio has agreed to help me out by sending me the posts from the RPG so I can keep up - a very kind offer indeed, but I'm afraid my audacity, dear readers, is going to stretch a little further.

I do not recieve half the notifications from this RPG - I get maybe one in five. Pio has sent me Nurumaiel's last post, so I am so far up to date. But I ask you if you could maybe help me out by doing one wee thing for me: my email is:

*** Aman left her email here - But I'd feel better if it weren't advertised - just PM me and I'll give it to you ~*~ Piosenniel ***

I'm trying my hardest to be humble here, please try not to read this as being cheeky, but I most humbly ask that, when you make a post on the RPG or the discussion thread...if you could send me a copy by email? Please! I feel like a right nuisance, and I'm terribly sorry for being a burden, but it would be a great help to me if you could do this. It should only be temporary, but I would rather not get behind, as I don't know exactly how long it will be until my computer comes to it's senses. Confounded machine. *glares*

If you have any other reason to contact me, please just send an email - I am on MSN with the same address, and on AIM with the name Amanaduial. I would be delighted to hear from you if you wish to contact me for any reason.

My thanks, and my apologies for being such a confounded nuisance,

Yours,
- Amanaduial

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-06-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #165
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Greetings All!

I feel that the time has come to start bringing this game to a close. The posts of late, while wonderful, have become sporadic and it seems as though the weight of the gaming is being carried by a few dedicated people rather than by the group as a whole. To that end, I would like to open a very brief discussion here about how we might want to conclude things.

For my part, I can say that Khamul (formerly Faroz), having now fallen completely under the shadow of Sauron, is going to start rounding up his enemies so that he can implement his Final Solution...but who, exactly, are his enemies? Given the power of the Ring we can assume that he pretty much knows what everyone is up to and that the following characters are in big trouble:

Zamara
Korak
Siamak
Gjeelea

What is more, given the views of Sauron on Elves, Arlome and Evrathol willl probably soon be joinging Morgos in quasi-imprisonment.

The wildcards are Arshalous and Tarkan -- where do they stand?

As I do not want to follow Khamul into tyrrany, I don't want simply to impose situations upon all the other players (e.g. arresting everyone and having them tossed in dungeons) -- so how would you like to see your characters 'handled' by Khamul? There are any number of options and I am delighted to accomodate any or all of them. Assasination attempts? Outright imprisonment? Thrown into cells singly or in specific groups? House arrest? Everyone together? Another option might be to have everyone gathered together at th Palace (brought there by orcs?) for a final confrontation of some kind?

The key thing that you will all need to address is how, if possible, can Khamul be defeated? At the moment it appears that Pashtia is doomed to follow him into servitude under Mordor...

I await your ideas. I will not impose a deadline on the completion of the game, but I would like to see it wrapped up sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #166
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Ironically, I am just now able to get back into the swing of this, and I find us on the home stretch. I apologize for being MIA, I was struck with a rather unexpected sickness which made it hard for me to do anything on the computer or the Downs. I was, thankfully, able to moniter it in case things happened that required immediate, unavoidable attention, but in to poor spirits to muster a post, or even really explain why I was absent. Again, my apologies.

Also ironically, now that I can post in ernest again, I am short on time. As to the discussion at hand, I will respond with adequate length tomorrow. Today, though, I would like to add something. I have kept a lot of secrets about Morgos, and I will probably have to reveal them a bit prematurely. What is paramount, though, is that, despite the tyranny of Khamul, Morgos won't abandon him unless he must, or a loophole is found (later, I'll explain). Even if arrested or fired altogether and assaulted, he will not refute the lordship of Khamul. Long story, but hey, it'll all make sense soon enough...

Old 04-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #167
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Sounds intriguing, Kransha - the boy has a plan...

Firefoot, Aylwen, Your Royal Highness the Illumination of the Kingsom of Pashtia (Fordim) - check your PMs please. In the words of the Baron Bamburst (maybe): Ve Haff...a plan...*evil smile*

Please let myself and Novnarwen know what you think of the ideas outlined. They certainly answer some questions, and could bring about deliciously wicked others...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #168
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just to let everyone know: I won't have computer access for the rest of the week, until late Saturday night. Hopefully this won't disrupt the flow of the game too much; I'll try to have a post up before I leave.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #169
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I've done my best with my latest post to keep the action within the many subtle plans that people are working with via PM. Do let me know if there is something in there that needs changing or if there are any additions people would like to see.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #170
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Nicely done indeed, Fordim - I like the paranoia growing on Khamul, and the way the Emissary sleeps now in the same bed: elevated to the same status as the king himself...

I hope mine provides a suitable follow up. Our plans can commence now: I'm so excited! Aylwen, I wasn't sure about the whereabouts of your character now - join in by all means if you wish. I am so looking forward to the implementation of our plot! *rubs hands with manic, nay, psychotic glee*
Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #171
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots

I've finished my post.

Aman - Please tell if I have handled Nadda inappropriately!

Nova
Old 05-03-2005, 04:22 PM   #172
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield A word from the Rohan Moderator

*takes off her game hat and puts on Moderator hat*

Ladies and gentlemen, gamers all, your Game Manager has asked everyone to attend closely to wrap up this game. Many plans are afoot, yet needed posts are not being written and put up.

It has been over a week since we have heard from some of the very important players in this end-scenario. Please post within the next two days.

I remind you that game characters can be written out of games--yes, even at this late stage--if their absence slows down the game.

There is a way to save Pashtia and free it of the doom of its King, if you attend closely enough to the current posts and to the history of Khamul in LotR. Don't despair that all is lost simply because the King controls the Ring. Remember Frodo and remember how he was able to hide from the Eye.

I have a post for Daliyeh and Jarult--if Fordim does not beat me to it--ready to write, but we have not yet heard from our princess. Is she lost? Rally round your Priestess, Pashtians, or face the consequences.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #173
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

I'm here, and writing posts as fast as my tired hands can.

I've been in communication, via PM, with alak and Orofaniel, over the last week, so they are both accounted for (just covering for them here, not that they need it). We're planning something which will be underway as a finale sub-plot shortly, which should resolve, um, "family matters."

P.S. Oro and alak, I've read you're latest in our PM correspondence dispatches, and am composing a response. Expect it shortly - I apolgize that I can't pump it out sooner.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #174
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Pashtia darkens as we sit idly by...

Where is everyone?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #175
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

I sent a PM to Fordim tonight about this very issue, Firefoot, before you posted here.

Discussion of this game began November 10, 2004 and the game opened November 16, 2004, with the expectation that it would require three to six month's time commitment from the gamers. It is now nudging past that; June 10 will be seven months.

There are allowances in Rohan for slower games, as the complexity of issues requires longer and more planned posts, but the expectation still is that people will post weekly at a minimum. The lack of any posts for 10 days suggests that things have stymied rather than that things are being planned.

Please contact Fordim immediately about your plans. If he does not hear from you within the week, he will have the authority to start carrying characters so that the final events can be brought into play.

This game began with great activity and enthusiasm. Let's not let it dwindle into lethargy and inaction. There are still major possibilities to play out. Does the King's subjugation to Annatar mean his people are lost also? Game players, it is up to you to decide that. Here is your chance to answer an issue unexplained in the canon!

Bethberry,
Rohan Moderator
Old 05-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #176
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Well, we had a nice little storyline merrily playing itself along here, involving, well, most of the cast actually; however, the next person to post logically needs to be Novnarwen, Tarkan and Pelin's writer. As there has been no movement on this front, I will make a post tomorrow, if I have time, moving it along a little (am in revision panic mode, but I'll probably have time, je pense) - I intended to do so on Friday, but have been at a wedding in Stratford and then working today. Novnarwen, if you wish to make a post which is chronologically before mine, I will paste it into mine at the beginning
Old 05-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #177
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield Sadly,

Alaklondewen has written to Fordim, Kransha and myself that she will be withdrawing from the game and from all gaming at BD because of several factors in RL. I assume that Fordim and Kransha will be coordinating the loss of her character but if any of you wish to contact her with questions or to wish her well, she said she will be checking PMs until this Friday, when she will be moving and losing computer access.

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we wish her well and hope she can return as soon as possible.

Bethberry
Old 05-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #178
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

I'm really sorry for not having posted. I truly am. I have been so busy, with everything from visitors, concerts and exams. In all of this, I simply haven't found time for posting. Unfortunately, this week, as well, will be busy. However, I will try to make a post. Whether I make it in time before Aman posts or not, I am not sure.

I hope this is all right.

Alak- I'm very sorry to see you go. Hope you'll be able to get back soon.

Thanks for you patience,
Nova
Old 05-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #179
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Don't worry Novnarwen - good luck in your exams! What level?

I have posted: hope this is alright for everyone, and I apologise for it being slightly belated. Hopefully this can move us on to the actual contents of the meeting before Khamul, the Emissary et al turn up and crash the party.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #180
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Greetings all!!

Aman: you are the truest most faithful Downer of them all! In the last two weeks, you are the only gamer (myself included) to post! Praise her with great Praise!!

It has become apparent that the game is officially, well, maybe not dead, but certainly quiescent. That is OK, we had a good go and it went on a LOOOOONG time.

But our revels now are ended; too many of our actors have melted into the air, and the great globe itself is dissolving. It is time for our insubstantial pageant to fade...

In keeping with forum rules, then, those gamers who have not posted in two weeks (which is everyone but Aman and, soon, myself) will have their characters summarily taken over by me. I will thus begin to close out the game with a series of posts that I hope to get up between now and Sunday night.

Any gamer who wishes to put up a post in these last days should feel utterly free to do so. I do not mean to wrest control of your characters from you -- only that if you are no longer able or interested in posting I will do so on your behalf.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #181
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I will have up a post tonight; before Aman had posted there would have been nothing for me to respond to...
Old 05-25-2005, 02:48 PM   #182
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

A fair point indeed, sir, a fair point indeed...

And Fordim, erm...thank you? Calm down sir, it can't be good for your blood pressure And be not morose, Captain: this game has been, and still is fantastic. There's no need to give it a quick shufty ending - it deserves a playing out, and we can give it that, good sir, if you're willing; even if half the gamers have 'melted away' and we haven't seen hide nor hair of some for weeks. I'll have another post up as soon as I can - I'm revising Philosophy tomorrow and god, but it's tiresome...

And yes, yes I am in a slightly odd mood this evening, due to variou events of the day including an English Literature exam: believe me, the word 'morose' doesn't generally feature in my every day vocabulary...

EDIT: Hrm. Due to a certain revelation that Novnarwen wanted to make regarding her character and Khamul, I'm not sure I can really press on that much. I'll just have to...hang on for a while then. Foils. But hey, press on Firefoot Novnarwen, don't worry about RL and everything, I hope it's all cool - if you could try to get the next post in the series up, that would be great, but if you don't have time could you possibly PM me about what you would like to happen. Hoping you can post as soon as, but don't worry.

Imladris, check you PMs please.

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 05-25-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #183
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I am sorry that I have not posted..

I have just not seen any reason too -- Arshalous always ws one of the back ground characters to my mind...

I don't even know if she and the king are married yet....or did I miss it in one of the posts?

Old 05-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #184
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

I have posted.

Aman, Firefoot, Aylwen- Please let me know if I have handled your characters appropriately.

Also, let me know if you want anything changed.

Cheers,
Nova

PS! I'm making a few edits on my post still...
Old 05-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #185
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Just one small thing: two servants not three.

Also, it is vital that Pelin has not noticed that the Princess is there: maybe he will just have assumed she is a third servant, her face must remain hidden. Otherwise yes, excellent

EDIT: ...and the next installement is in!

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 05-27-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #186
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Wonderful wonderful stuff up there! I should get Barrow-Wighted more often if this is to be the result!

Just a note to the conspirators: I've sent the Emissary off to the Elven quarter, but if he and his orcs are 'wanted' in your part of the tale, feel free to have them discover and/or chase your characters. Think of the possibilities: this will be the very first encounter between the Lord of the Nazgul and mortal beings...!!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #187
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I am leaving in just a few hours for a two-week trip to the east coast. I desperately wanted to write up a post involving Korak and a twist, but one of the lads had a baseball tournament over the weekend and my spare time has been taken up with packing. If the game is still going when I return, I'll try to get up those last couple of posts I had in mind... if not, Korak may be disposed of however the King, Arshalous, Gjeelea, etc. please... and I've enjoyed the game immensely!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #188
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

To let you all know: I will not be here next week from Monday 13th to late on Friday 17th. If there is something for Siamak to respond to before then I will be able to post until Sunday night. Other than that, Siamak can be carried along in my absence as needed.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #189
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

...and let the lynching commence for that stupendously melodramatic post. But hey...

Glad to see we're back on the road
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM   #190
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Kudos to Fordim, Firefoot, and Aman for staying the road. I keep hoping for some kind of eucatastrophe. I don't think we've had any RPGs which attempted this desperate twist at the eleventh hour, but it would be really cool to see one here.

Of course, feel absolutely free to ignore that suggestion should you wish to travel down the well worn path to destruction, infamy, carnage, scouring, and general darkness all round.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:21 AM   #191
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

'Ang on, 'ang on, 'ang on... I thought we agreed there would be a 'eucatastrophe', so to speak (and just bear in mind that I am using the definition of the word that I have picked up and which may well be wrong...*winces*)? That is to say, that there would be...

Quote:
the well worn path to destruction, infamy, carnage, scouring, and general darkness all round
...for a fair wee while, right up to the point where our dashing heroes were on the brink of being executed (yay, fun-happy-time)...and then there was The Mighty Plot Twist that was earlier discussed in PM?

...does anyone else remember The Mighty Plot Twist...?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #192
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
...does anyone else remember The Mighty Plot Twist...?
Which one? No, seriously, I'm not sure I do.

But the rest of that I remember (or, if I don't remember, it's always the way I had assumed it would go anyway... )
Old 07-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #193
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Indeed. Hmm. Well, we had a plan, and a damn good plan it was as well. And I have said plan saved...on my laptop, which has died.

Bother.

*sigh*
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #194
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Here at the end of all things, I am glad that you are with me, my remaining gamers!

And thus was Pashtia spared the Night of Sauron, for the Nazgul fled into the West, never to be seen in the East again.

So here's what I propose: that the game be given one more week in which anyone who wants to can post their final word (or two) before I put up an Epilogue of some sort to finish it all off. There's still a lot that needs doing, so there should be plenty for us to work through! Who will become ruler of Pashtia? Will the City be rebuilt? Who has survived this terrible night and who has not?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #195
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, I was having a hard time finding a place to cut off my post so that it made sense - I sent Siamak and Zamara in the direction of Tarkan, Arshalous, and Korak. I believe that Nova intended for Tarkan to die, but I do not know about Arshalous or Korak, and there didn't seem to be a way to bring Siamak and Zamara all the way ther without addressing that.

So instead, Aman, I posed (or Siamak did) Zamara with a question - you can use it as a lead-in to conversation if you like. Or, if you have a better idea for a conversation starter, let me know... like I said, I was having some trouble cutting it off.

This has been a great RPG, I'm really glad to have participated in it and find myself a little sad at its ending. Ah, well, it's been fun.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:01 AM   #196
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Well, I've something in mind for both Tarkan (and Pelin for that matter). I'll try to post as soon as I can, but I'm currently sick in bed with a cold. Yeah, can you believe that?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #197
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

At last, at last, there's Daliyeh's last. I was wanting to bring in all sorts of ideas about the Pashtian culture but I couldn't recall enough of the things we had posted earlier and decided that, after all, a conclusion needs to be concluded and not drawn out.

A fabulous game full of intrigue and wonderful exploration of possibilities. Stellar work everyone! But mourn not the passing over much!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:55 AM   #198
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Finally, the epilogue is done and the game is done.

Thanks to everyone who made it such an enjoyable experience, particularly to those of you who stuck it out to the very end.

But, alas, here ends our Fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are ill....
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #199
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Aw, Fordim, such a delightful and marvellous death scene! A eucatastophe in itself. Some Downers, however, might be nashing their teeth at it!

I have closed the game thread but will leave the discussion thread open for a few days to allow the fellowship to make any final posts they wish. If anyone wants to make edits to any game posts, PM me and I will reopen the thread.

Splendidly done.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #200
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

* * * * To Elvenhome* * * *