Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #41
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nuru,

Sounds good. We'll await the profile. Just wanted to touch bases.

Cami
Old 08-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #42
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Edmund's Profile

NAME : Edmund

RACE : Man

WEAPONS : His mouth is his greatest weapon. He's excellent at tormenting and teasing, name-calling, and other such things that would hurt a fellow boy's feelings, and the use of the older boys he has as friends. Sticks are also quite handy when playing pretend swords with his friends, though he would never be seen using it for real on a living thing.

APPEARANCE : Edmund looks much like his mother. He has brown curls, and a few freckles on either cheek and speckling his nose. Most people remember him for his lively, sparkling blue eyes that are constantly filled with wild adventure and excitement. It is most likely his eye color came from farther back than his parents. He's fairly slender, though he still has a little bit of his baby chubbiness left, mainly in his cheeks, though a little in his belly. Though he's an average height at the present time, when he's older he will most likely be tall like his mother and father.

PERSONALITY : Edmund is an active little boy who, like most boys, likes to have a good time. Unfortunately, through taking up with the wrong friends, having a good time mostly meant bullying other children. He also has a passion for tormenting the Cook at the inn, mainly hiding various tools from her and stealing food when she's not looking. Edmund is the ideal little terror, even to his friends at times. If things don't go his way, he'll lose his temper and give them a nasty time. Though he was not like this before, it is suspected by most that the death of his father a year previous seriously affected him.

However, he does have his good traits. Like his mother, he has a kind heart, and he only needs to get past the hard crust that's surrounding it, caused by the bad company he keeps. His kindness is mainly exercised in animals, and he's forever finding wounded creatures that he insists need his care. This bothers some people to no ends, but afterwards they see how much it's worth it when they see the gentleness and love he shows as he treats his patients.

Though he's a bother to her, he loves his mother very much, and does everything he can to help her. He can be difficult sometimes, and often throws temper tantrums, but such tears that come from his blue eyes as he runs to apologize to her! He would do just about anything for her.

HISTORY : Edmund lived in Bree all his life, with his father and mother at the Prancing Pony. When he was only six years old his father was killed, and, being very fond of his father, Edmund was very sorrowful. For a long time he was depressed and bored, then he found a way to pass the time by causing trouble with some of the other boys.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Edmund's First Post

Edmund Woolthistle, a young lad of seven years, sat on a little stool in the kitchen of the Prancing Pony, a basket of potatoes at his feet. His freckled face was bright read, partly with anger and partly because of his efforts. He had already peeled the awesome amount of five whole potatoes for Cook to mash later, and he was feeling pretty exhausted. Cook was, obviously, cooking, but at the same time she was watching Edmund with a stern eye.

He had to endure this suffering all because of that silly hobbit boy! What a crybaby he had been. All they (meaning Edmund and his ne'er-do-well friends) had done was try to have a bit of fun with him (which, you must take note, means teasing) and he had burst into tears. So when they had tried to play a game with him (stealing his hat and tossing it to one another, causing the poor hobbit boy more distress), they had expected him to cheer up, but did he? Of course not! He was a hobbit, so he wouldn't.

I am being punished because some stupid hobbit is a crybaby, Edmund thought ferociously, picking up another potato. I'll be stuck in this stupid kitchen all day because of that stupid crybaby. Reflecting on this grim thought, Edmund felt anger building up at rapid paces inside of him. Forgetting that Cook was watching him, even forgetting that he was sitting in the prison of the kitchen, he took up the potato he had just finished and hurtled it across the room. It narrowly missed Cook's head and with an indescribable noise hit the kitchen wall. Cook immediately turned flashing eyes towards Edmund, but the boy's own blue eyes showed no signs of remorse for what he had just done.

"...and if Edmund should cause any further trouble while in the kitchen, you may think of a suitable punishment for him." Those had been Andreth's words. Cook didn't hesitate to carry them out. "Edmund Woolthistle, you will clean up that mess immediately, and then you will finish those potatoes. Instead of letting you off after dinner like I had originally intended, you will stay and help me clean up. You can expect to be doing many dishes and scrubbing many tables, young man."

Edmund gave her a sour look as he crossed the kitchen to take care of the crushed potato. His slightly chubby face turned an even deeper shade of red, if that were possible. He had planned to take care of his wounded squirrel after dinner, but now Cook had to spoil it all. She would feel sorry when the squirrel died, that she would. But the poor squirrel, that had to suffer so that horrible Cook could satisfy her need for punishing innocent little boys! Edmund thought all these things with the anger increasing in him. The injustice of the world was too great.

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 08-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #43
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nuru,

That's great! Well, actually it's great for the game. Pity poor Andreth who must take charge of this wild thing.... As if she doesn't have enough headaches already! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, I do have a possible idea for a first post. If you like it, fine. If you prefer to come up with another idea, that's great too.

Remember that on her way home Andreth was considering what punishment she should give Edmund for his nastiness to Kali. Then the episode on the porch with the Ranger intervened.

Do you want to have your first post be where Edmund is undergoing the punishment that his mother stipulated (whatever that might be--anything but physical punishment, please.). He could be remunating in his tiny mind on the injustice of the world and how hobbit children like Kali are a big pain in the neck for getting him in trouble like this.

If you want to do this, you're welcome to borrow my character to lay down the punishment, but it might be better just to plunge right in without that.

It could be set that same night or the next day....

Do you think this would work, or would you prefer something else? (You could also manipulate Cook briefly as she gloats to see Edmund "suffering".)

Cami
Old 08-27-2003, 09:27 PM   #44
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Thankyou for such a warm welcome guys! Im very excited about writing this part!!!

Before I do anything though, I just want to see if I understand the plot as far as the bandits/outlaws are concerned...

So, the outlaws are a group chased from their homes, and are destroying and pillaging various places till they find somewhere to settle? And they see Bree as that place?

I understand them as a small community of warriors, all banded loosely for the simple cause, but there are often dissentions. They are trying to plan a way to get through what is left of the Bree Wall, and take over, correct? Or do they simply wish to destroy?

I know this is a very simple deconstruct of whats going on, but once I understand that, I can better put together a profile for the leader.

Thankyou so much!

Tara
Old 08-27-2003, 11:09 PM   #45
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Tara,

We're just hammering some of this out now. We originally started out with a group of bandits, and they evolved into a band of outlaws whose villages were destroyed by Orcs and hillmen.

The following may help you somewhat as well as the discussion it engenders.

Here are the revised parts of the proposal to incorporate the changed figures, our ideas on "new and improved" outlaws, and the instructions about carry-along children:

Characters:

I. Dedicated Characters:

These are played by posters who helped with the planning of the game and submitted their profiles and posts before the discussion thread opened.

Rangers - 2

Berilac Woodfarer, the Hobbit ranger, will be played as a dedicated character by Piosenniel.

Minastan Helmman, the human ranger, will be played as a dedicated character by Beren87.

Outlaws - 1

______________, the leader of the outlaws, will be played as a dedicated character by Taralphiel.

Human Child Cameo - 1

Edmund, Andreth's son, will be played by Nurumaiel as a dedicated cameo role.

II. Regular characters that we need posters to play:

Big Folk of Bree - 3, no more than 1 female

Little Folk of Bree – 3, no more than 1 female

Suggestions for Constructing a Profile:

Big and Little Folk should choose a realistic occupation such as farmer, cook, miller, peddler, baker, laborer, stable hand, teamster, minstrel, peddler, etc.

We need one of the Big Folk to serve as mayor. If you're interested, pm Annunfuiniel for details.

Important:

Each poster who plays a resident of Breeland, Big or Little, must submit a complete profile for their adult character. See the form below. We'd like a range of attitudes among the adult hobbits and men, with some inclined to be more friendly and others less. Please specify this in your profile.

Each poster will also create a "carry-along child" of the same race (possibly a sibling group) that you will use in certain sections of the RPG. Just attach a paragraph at the end of your regular profile that includes the following: name, age, race, plus a few words on where they live, what they’ve been taught about the ‘other’ race, and what their thoughts on it are.

Outlaws - 1 - 2 additional - male

Again, please include a few words on what happened when their village and/or family was destroyed, and their attitude about attacking Bree.

Character types that would not belong:

Any character not listed above.

Each of the game owners will play two characters:

Annunfuniel will play the hobbits Rosco Woodfarer and Mausi Honeysuckle

Child of the 7th Age will play Andreth Woolthistle, the widowed proprietor of the Prancing Pony, and Kali Honeysuckle, a hobbit child.

The proposal part ends above. The rest is just me.

We have 6 posters already signed up as founders or owners of dedicated players: Annunfuiniel, Child, Beren87, Piosenniel, Nurumaiel (cameo role), and Taraphiel.

We will be looking for 7-8 more posters to join:
  • 3 to play hobbit characters
  • 3 to play human characters
  • 1-2 to play outlaws

Is this feasible? Pio, you have a better sense of this than I.... The boards have been slow lately, but some games are ending in mid-September.

Our final roster will look like this:

4 hobbits
4 humans
2 rangers
2-3 outlaws
1 cameo child

13-14 total

Do we need three total outlaws, or two?

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #46
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Here is the revised story line with the new and improved outlaws:

Basic Storyline:

After a few years of relative peace, the real troubles began. In the summer of 1305 T.A. came unusual heat and drought. Since the rains of the autumn were not enough to save the crops, some Hobbits decided to move into Bree itself and try to practice their crafts professionally there. But, with the shortage of food, the Hobbits’ timing was as wrong as it could be. Many of the Big Folk defended their territories jealously, resenting the intruders and blaming them for the bad times.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the Rangers brought the leaders of the Big and Little Folk an alarming message. Several villages in the foothills of the Misty Mountains had been attacked and destroyed by the Orcs and Hillmen some months before. Now, these folk have migrated westward on the roads, trying to escape the evil forces behind them. Hungry and discouraged, these people have become outlaws, turning to looting and stealing in order to stay alive in this time of dearth. Rumor has it that they are considering something much larger, an organized attack on Bree, hoping to carry off the riches of its merchants or perhaps even to occupy the entire town.

Considering that Bree’s ancient defenses--its dike, heavy gate, and thick hedge--are almost ready to collapse, this is dire news. Our story begins when the Rangers call a meeting of all the residents of Bree and surrounding communities to see if they can join together to develop a strategy for defeating the outlaws.

This RPG traces how the Big and Little Folk eventually go beyond their suspicions and jealousies to work together to reinforce Bree's defenses and fight off the brigands’ attack. Each comes to appreciate the contributions of the other and makes a start towards living as neighbors in peace.

How does this sound?

Tara -- according to my storyline, there is no initial agreement among the outlaws whether to destroy Bree and seize its riches, or take it over and occupy it.

Is the latter realistic, or not?

If it's not realistic, we need to remove it.

If it is realistic, perhaps we don't want to stipulate now which of these two options will win out. That could play itself out in the story.

What do you think?

Just a reminder .....we still need to decide about the fire.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #47
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thanks for that Cami!

Well I think as far as the outlaws go, it really depends. If a very large group have been driven out, and I mean women and children included, they may consider Bree as a new home. However, if this is a slightly smaller group, then it would be all males, more skilled in fighting, and simply concerned in supporting themselves, with perhaps their families somewhere else. Whichever would make a better scenario?

Am I making sense, or am I confusing the matter more? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:19 AM   #48
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Tara,

You're making sense but confusing me! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Ie. I, at least, need some more time to think about this. The women and children would bring a whole another dimension to the story...

But I think one thing is for sure: the group of outlaws doesn't consist solely of practised 'warriors' but rather of men forced to take arms and fight for their lives.

There's another matter Cami and I have briefly discussed by PM and that would be the game time. Originally we decided on two months (~September>end of October) but on a second thought, now that the part of the outlaws has come to the fro, the whole thing with the band lurking around for two months without acting doesn't seem feasible.

So, our compromise was 4-5 weeks game time (maybe from mid-September till second/third week of October? Or later, with winter nearing fast?). So, what say everyone?

This next bit is from Cami's PM:
Quote:
The folk of Bree are going to need a certain amount of time to fight, make up, and then get ready for the bandits--rebuilding dykes and such. The outlaws can be split about their decision to attack till mid-way into the game and then later decide on going forward. The rangers might want to indicate the attack as a possibility at first, later as a certainty??? Perhaps, the outlaws have heard that more of their number are coming along behind them on the migration route, and they want to wait till these extra reinforcements arrive. Or perhaps the dearth of food gets worse so that even those who were at first reluctant decide to go for it?
The rangers being themselves not quite sure if the attack is really coming or not sounds like a good idea to me; this would most likely make sure that no concert will be achieved in the meeting as practically no-one wants to co-operate to fight of a "possible" threat, considering the atmosphere in the town. I hope you caught my meaning here...

~Annun
Old 08-28-2003, 02:15 AM   #49
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Here's a sketchy idea for the Forest Fire:

It needs to be in a place not too far from the town - something easily accessible by the children.

The Old North Road comes down from Fornost (the southern tip of the North Downs). It is the road used by the Dunedain in the early Third Age on their travels from Fornost, the chief city of Arthedain down to Tharbad and then to Gondor.

The north Road passes through the North Gate of Bree. The children could pass out there and up to a moderately large sized copse of trees and underbrush along the western edge of Bree Hill (where there could be some small old shallow caves or burrows).

The 'desperados', the displaced men from the far north and east of Bree can be situated in the Weather Hills and possibly have sent out a small group to see how the pickings were in Bree-land and how easy it might be to get into the town of Bree itself. They can have a small camp in the wooded area that the children go to, from which they are trying to determine how easy it would be to get in the North Gate.

Their carelessness can start the fire (a hasty retreat - not wanting to be seen or caught . . . the cause of the fire might rouse some suspicions as to who might have actually set it).

One or two of the children can have lagged behind and when they go to join their comrades (either as Hobbits to have fun, or as bullies to make trouble)they can spot the fire and run for help.

It would probably be easiest to rescue the children from the hill above the cave (bringing them up by rope sling) - though it might be interesting to have one or two that are not in the cave and have to be found and brought to the rescue site.

It would probably be good to dig a fireline betweenthe southern edge of the fire and the northern edge of the dike and hedge that are the defense of the town.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:54 AM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Here's Willem, for your consideration:

NAME: Willem ‘Will’ Farroweed

RACE: Man

WEAPONS: Carries a one bladed pocket knife; sling shot; pea shooter

APPEARANCE:

5’2” (1.6 M); 107 lbs ( 48 kg), lean, gangly, all elbows and knees, light brown thatch of thick, straight hair cut unevenly about his head; brown eyes; spotty complexion; brown breeches cinched up with a belt, his bony ankles hanging out; sloppy big tunic, patched at the elbows, a hand me down from his 18 y/o older brother; usually barefoot – in colder weather has a pair of brown, calf high, run down leather boots.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:

A bully with a sharp wit that impresses his little gang of friends. They look up to him as a leader, and delight in the little schemes he cooks up to harass the Hobbit children. He is quick to take offense, but stores his ‘injuries/woundings’ away, letting them fester and ripen into thoroughly nasty retaliations.

HISTORY:

Father: Tomsin (Big Tom) Farroweed
Mother: Letitia (Letty) Rushlight Farroweed

His family has a long history of being pig farmers. And have lived for many generations on a small holding between Staddle and Bree. As in all farming ventures – some years are good and some less prosperous. Of late, fortune has not smiled kindly on the Farroweed family – the market for pork is down, crops are off, and feed more expensive. Of late, there have been a number of pigs gone missing here and there. At first the possibility of wolves or wild dogs was entertained by the family, but now Big Tom is sure it’s the Hobbits that have something to do with his missing swine.

Willem is the youngest of seven children – four other boys and two girls. There being so many other hands to help out with the needs of raising pigs, his mother has had plenty of time to baby him. He is still her 'precious little baby boy’ and can do no wrong in her estimation. His brothers and sisters champion their baby brother against all outsiders.

Willem’s father is a pessimistic man, and of the opinion that the influx of Hobbits will prove the undoing of any hope for continued prosperity by the Men of Bree. His family accedes to his often voiced opinions, and Willem has absorbed this negativity toward the Hobbits as being ‘right’ - it fuels his activities as a bully and tormenter of the inferior and interfering hole-dwellers.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:57 AM   #51
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

The Forest Fire scene seems ready to me; the sub-plots for this sub-plot (ie. who will take the word of the fire to the town etc.) can be decided later when the action takes place, right? And of course things would go too smoothly if all the little ones could be saved so 'easily'!

Sharon, your view on this?

Nuru, sorry I totally forgot to praise Edmund! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I have a brother, 9 years younger than me, and now I believe you somehow know him! As if that was posibble, but anyways...

Have you thought what your, I mean Edmund's relation to Pio's character Willem might be? Are they in the same 'band' that terrorizes the Hobbit kids or not? I don't think he'd approve the plan with the pigs that Pio suggested?

Pio's mention of Fornost as the Deadman's Dike made me frown and take a look at the Encyclopedia of Arda (sorry; I have to rely on that source at the moment as I foolishly borrowed my books just when I need them the most - I feel lost without the maps and appendices!) and this is what I found:
Quote:
Nonetheless, the emergence of Angmar saw evil things multiply in the eastern lands, driving a westward migration across Eriador. Notable among those travelling out of the east were the Hobbits, and it was during Malvegil's time as King that the main Hobbit settlement in Bree took place.
So was the place called Deadman's Dike when there was still King there? This is of course only a minor detail but maybe the King Malvegil's name should feature in the proposal somewhere, if only to be overly explicit in 'historical' detail. Doesn't that sound just the thing for us, Sharon?? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Annun
Old 08-28-2003, 03:07 AM   #52
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I have removed the reference to Deadmen's Dike in my previous post. It was only there to give an indication of where Fornost is. (Deadmen's Dike was not used as the name for Fornost until TA 1974 after the ruin and desertion of Fornost.)
Old 08-28-2003, 03:51 AM   #53
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

On the right side of this map is the area around Bree:

HERE

Best maps are in Fonstad's 'Atlas of Middle-earth' p. 75 & 125.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:40 AM   #54
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Pio,

thank you for editing (I wasn't really sure of my case there but thought I should mention it anyway, nitty-picky as I am. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) but special thanks for the link! I haven't been able to find a map that would show the hobbit settlements properly so that map's a real treasure. I'll have to invest on that book you mentioned, too...

~Annun
Old 08-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #55
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Whoa! While I was snoozing, everyone has been busy very busy.

Pio, good grief! 5 am Barrowdowns time?! You need some rest.....

First, I'll go ahead and change the proposal to reflect the shorter duration of the game: 4-5 weeks rather than two months. This refers to game time rather than real time.

Our real time goal is still 9 weeks, if everyone feels that is doable.

Pio,

Will is a real pistol! I love his "weapons".

There were some kids like this in my grammar school. (It was a fairly tough neighborhood with lots of factory families including our own.)

Old 08-28-2003, 07:50 AM   #56
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Let me check on Malvegil....

Cami
Old 08-28-2003, 11:06 AM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Quote:
Pio,

Will is a real pistol! I love his "weapons".

There were some kids like this in my grammar school. (It was a fairly tough neighborhood with lots of factory families including our own.)
I grew up in a real blue collar neighborhood - I know this kid quite well!

As to repairing a defensive hedge: the bare spots can be filled in with a thick interlacing of tree branches from the forested areas, secured by stout rope netting.

After the 'battle' it would be a nice community project to start the replanting of the bare spots in the hedge.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:37 AM   #58
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Tara, Annun, Pio,

First, regarding the bandits....I hacked a version of this post out early this morning, went away to work and had serious second thoughts by the time I returned. So I am going to re-edit and repost.

BTW, whatever course we chose, I don't see these outlaws as professional "soldiers"---rather they are ordinary folk gone bad under the press of circumstances and because of their own poor choices. However, in a time when danger lurks around every corner, even ordinary villagers who live close to the earth, at least the adult men, would know how to wield a bow and some sort of weapon for hand-to-hand combat.

Here are two broad ways of approaching the bandits. We can choose one of these, or make up some variant on it. Let me also say that my personal preference is Door #2. It is more believable to me and also more interesting.

Door #1: This version totally eliminates the women and children.

When the villages were destroyed, virtually all of the women and children were massacred in their sleep. The only ones to escape were those men who'd been out on some kind of large-scale organized hunting parties, the strongest and best fighters in the community. They return to the village to find it destroyed and their kin dead.

(I don't put it past the Witch-king to time his attack to coincide with a time when those who could defend the villages were absent.)

They are now heading west on a rampage and are living as outlaws, both by necessity and choice.

Door #2: This version focuses on a small advance party made up of 8-10 scouts, but the larger migration group does include women and children.

This came to mind after reading Pio's suggestion on the fire:

Quote:
The 'desperados', the displaced men from the far north and east of Bree can be situated in the Weather Hills and possibly have sent out a small group to see how the pickings were in Bree-land and how easy it might be to get into the town of Bree itself. They can have a small camp in the wooded area that the children go to, from which they are trying to determine how easy it would be to get in the North Gate.
I think we can apply this more broadly to the entire RPG and not just the fire scene.

After the villages were wiped out by the Hillmen and Orcs (with many residents slaughtered), the remaining population began to migrate westward. So there would have been some women and children in this larger group as well as men and skilled fighters. This large group would be camped out in the Weather Hills. Gradually, more and more refugees who'd been driven will join up with them, filtering in with small bands. They will have a maximum of maybe 200 people. (Is this too large?)

This development will not figure directly in our story. It will simply be established as fact in the first post by Tara.

These displaced villagers in the Weather Hills have sent out an advance posse to scout the land and see what might be feasible. This would be the group of men we are dealing with through most of the story: the advance posse. They are the better fighters and leaders, but definitely not "professional" warriors. Some have families that have been murdered, while others do have wife or children back in the main encampment near Weathertop waiting for them. Tara's character is the leader of this band.

The advance posse of men is at first split on the advisability of attacking Bree, and whether the main goal of their attack is to loot and gather wealth, or to take over the town physically. Perhaps, they make those decisions in the course of the story.

They will definitely decide to attack and must then call back and tell the large group to come forward on the road. This is why there is a delay since a small party of 7-8 men could obviously not launch an attack.

It will take several weeks for the scouts to make their recommendation. Then it would take at least a week for 200 people to get ready to leave. Another week on the road to get close to Bree (Many are on foot.) Finally, some time to train and organize their attack. This would easily accomodate 5 weeks of game time.

A third option is possible: having the entire party camped not too far from Bree, including women and children. I rejected this as being less believable and too complicated.

The Breelanders will find it hard to track down 8 scouts even if they try. A part of 200 people (or even 60-100) can not escape detection. Plus it's too much action to cover in just 9-10 weeks.

What do people think of Door #2? Do you think 200 outlaw refugees is too many (or too few)? Is occupation a realistic objective or should the outlaws confine themselves to looting and pillage.

At the time of LotR, Bree had 100 houses. It was probably larger in 1305. Maybe 150 buildings?

Concerning Bree's defenses.

There was no wall--just a hedge and dyke and two gates (north and south). I'll need to look at the proposal and see how I worded that. The hedge and dike were both broken down. Presumably parts of the hedge had died with the drought so only brown limbs are left in sections with no life.

Ahem.....I know this can happen. It happened to my own hedge in front of my house.

(BTW, how do you "repair" a hedge????) I guess the main thing would be to dig the ditch deeper and reinforce the three gates, perhaps put up a temporary board or two as an obstruction where the hedge had collapsed??? Perhaps even throw their trash out there and such. The kids would love a job like that!

Note: Pio, we cross posted. I like the interlaced tree branches. I also like the trash. They actually did this kind of things in the street barracades in France during its myriad of revolutions and door-to-door fighting.

Annun, Pio,

The fire scene sounds fine. We'll need to play this out in the story line itself.

I'll try to get up a revised outline later today so we can see where we are.

Cami

Old 08-28-2003, 12:21 PM   #59
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Sharon,

Door #2 definitely intrigues me! I'd say we should work on with this perspective in mind.

Now I have only one problem: we will be killing men with wives and children waiting just around the corner... Do you hear that little voice ringing inside your heads too??

~Annun
Old 08-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #60
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annun,

Yes, I've already wondered about this since the first moment I suggested a migration.

There's going to be outlaws killed, no doubt about it. But some will survive. And I can't see Breelanders, Big or Little, going out and murdering unarmed women and children, even if they were attacked by the men.

I am also assuming that most of these people are not up for a fight to the death. There will be a hard, fierce battle with people killed on both sides. Assuming the brigands surrender, what happens then?

Perhaps some displaced villagers elect to hit the road again, perhaps back towards the area of the Forgotten Villages, which isn't far from the Weather Hills. These were occupied by hobbits for 250 years and were recently deserted.

Or possibly the Rangers would offer them a chance to start over by leading them to one of the mannish settlements in Arthedain that lies to the north? Pehaps the draught is less severe up north. These settlements were looking for good fighters to stand against the Witch King, and the refugees would be able to get their "revenge" against the true forces that caused their misery...

The Rangers will promise to keep an eye on them to make sure there's no more shenanigans as well as to help them get settled wherever they're going.

Neither of these are terribly safe places to live but in this period, no place is wholly safe. The serious trouble will start up in another 45 years.

I think this is more realistic than the Breelanders themselves offering to take any of the defeated enemy in. I do think that the more "sensitive" among the Breelanders will look out at the refugees departing to another locale and realize that "There, but for the luck of the draw, go I." I can see Andreth thinking this. Wars, even just wars, create hard situations and difficult choices.

We don't have to pin the specifics down now, but I am curious how others would approach this. Are these out and out nasties to be driven off the face of the earth? Or are they enemies to be defeated and then allowed, even helped, to find a place to live? I think we may be aiming for the latter. This is certainly the policy that Aragorn will later adopt after the war of the Ring. Frodo's treatment of Saruman is an even more extreme example of this kind of mercy.

What do people think?

BTW, I would say that this dilemma will force a different definition of "us,them" vis-a-vis hobbits and Big Folk. It will drive them together very fast and firm at the end of our story.

And I must say our little RPG has taken on layers of unexpected meaning. To say nothing of complexities that give me a headache! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

cami

Old 08-30-2003, 09:45 AM   #61
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
the Rangers would offer them a chance to start over by leading them to one of the mannish settlements in Arthedain that lies to the north?
I was just going to suggest that.

Trying to get the Bree-people to trust the ruffians they had just defeated would create a whole new plot as dense as the one with the Bree-people trying to trust each other! I doubt any amount of diplomacy or child-saving could get the Bree-people to accept in the ruffians as citizens.

Perhaps the Hobbits can suggest that they go north? It seems to me a Hobbit-ish thing to do.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #62
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Beren,

This sounds good. Great minds think alike!

Let's go with Arthedain then unless someone has violent objections.

And I like what you said about the original idea of heading north coming from the hobbits. The hobbits had to face hard times on the road themselves so they might have a tiny bit more understanding of the kind of circumstances that drove the refugees over the brink. Plus the Big Folk will be happy with anything that gets the brigands out of the neigborhood.

I'll try and update that outline on Sunday or Monday to see where we are now...

Cami

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-02-2003, 03:09 AM   #63
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Im so sorry I havent put up the profile yet!! Im having a little more difficulty than normal with this chara, but Im up for the challenge!! I should have im up soon though!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Going North? I think that sounds like the go, it makes sense [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2003, 05:56 AM   #64
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Everyone,

That outline definitely escaped me this weekend, but I will give it another go later today....

Cami
Old 09-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #65
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I've decided to wait for Tara to get her profile and post up before I do the revised outline.... (Or at least I'll wait for tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy...)

We also still need Nuru's first post.

Hopefully then, we'll be getting close to the point where we're ready to pack it on over to Pio.

Cami
Old 09-03-2003, 02:17 AM   #66
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I've done it! Well, most of it! Im having trouble getting length, but I'll keep adding to it and refining it with your suggestions. Just lemme know what needs changing! Getting the right good/evil mix was tough, so do tell me if its off....

NAME: Lotar
RACE: Man

WEAPONS: rusted longsword, and a small dagger in his boot

APPEARANCE: Tall and thin frame, with dark hair and equally dark eyes, with a streak of grey through his beard being a distinguishing feature. Dressed in heavy worn riding gear, and little or no armour. He looks every bit the sinister character, and when his temper flares, its certainly proven.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lotar is not the most patient of men when it comes to his peers. He is calculating and quite intelligent when it comes to matters of survival and some war strategies. He has his times of dark mood, where he will seal himself off from everyone and stew over seemingly trifle matters, but most of the time his frustrations is clearly vented. Apart form this, no one has accused him of being a poor leader, and he is known as the most efficient of all of the bandits.

HISTORY: Lotar was one of the men who lost the most in the scouring of his Village by the Dark forces, but he speaks of it little. His only family left is his son Kandel, who is never far away from him This is often found humorous by the other men, as they are at loggerheads over almost every issue of strategy, and are very different in personality.

FIRST POST:

‘My beard will get whiter waiting for that blasted scout!’ Lotar roared. Pacing to and fro, he kicked the dirt and continued fuming ‘How am I supposed to plan anything if that dolt takes his pleasant time coming back with the mapping!’

‘Its always possible that the man was attacked’ said Kandel coolly, as he leant against a tree stump. Looking up through his long hair, his tone further irked his father. ‘Is your head fullo’ rocks? Who would attack him? One of those Little Men with a pitchfork? Save me!’ Lotar stopped as a young man heaved into the clearing. ‘Lotar sir’ he heaved ‘There be little defense on the way. None actually. They’ve done practically nothing!’

‘Well, at least you tell me what I wish! Now, tell me what the scene looks like! I want every hill and knoll if this is to work! The sooner we get this, the sooner we have our own houses and fires to warm our feet by! This town will make us a pretty amount!' he said with a pleased grin. Kandel watched him and shook his head with a small laugh.

...Oh, and if you want Kandel to be put down as a secondary chara, I can put up a separate profile. I suppose I just needed a cool to contrast Lotar's heat *grins*
Old 09-03-2003, 02:42 AM   #67
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This is great, Tara! My first reaction to Lotar? Annunfuin's evil twin brother! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I really don't have time to analyze your character decription further; I'll leave that to Sharon, as usual... But if I understood correctly from your first post Lotar is planning to 'conquer' Bree and inhabit it, not just ravage it for its riches?

And concerning the son Kandel; a short profile for him would be great, me thinks. How strong a character is he? Will he be openly opposing his father? If we get another outlaw (when the discussion thread opens) then I think he should be Lotar's main opponent (representing the 'loot-and-leave' ideology?) and not his son.

~Annun
Old 09-03-2003, 06:07 AM   #68
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ill make up that extra bio dear. Having another outlaw opposing might be the go. Kandel opposes his father, but not so strongly as it would divide the group and cause ill will. In the end he shrugs it off and follows his father.

Annun's evil twin *thinks about it* Your right *giggles* See, your writing skills rub off on me! *hugs*

I know that part is shady. I put it that way so I could edit it once you decide. Whether its loot or inhabit, Ill change it to fit [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: I just put summin' together now for Kandel...

NAME: Kandel
RACE: Men

WEAPONS: Longsword and daggers

APPEARANCE: Tall and strong like his father, but paler with lighter hair. Handsome features and a mocking smile forever on his face. Wears similar gear to all the outlaws, with a hood he generally hides under.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Kandel has inherited more of his personality from his mothers side. He is cooler and more collected than his father is. Though he shares the same eye to detail as his father. He is quick on his feet and even quicker in tongue. One of his greatest joys is winding his father up with smart remarks, though his devotion to him is clearly seen. He is rarely found very far away from him, especially in moments of action. Many see him as taking life as fun and games.

HISTORY: Orcs killed His mother and sister when his village was raided. He has wandered with his father since. Because of this he has developed a reasonable skill with the blade out of necessity, and boasts that he rivals his father.

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Taralphiel ]
Old 09-03-2003, 11:11 AM   #69
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Cami and Annun

Once you get the Game Proposal filled in - DON'T send it to me.

Just place it in its finalized form on this Planning Thread. That way everyone can look it over, you can make any final adjustments to it.

And I will work with it from there.

Thanks!

~~ Pio
Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 AM   #70
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Edmund's first post is done! I've put it up with his profile, which is near the top of this second page.

Let me know if any changes are necessary.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #71
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nurumaiel,

The post looks great!

There's just three things left to do.

1. Put the proposal and posts and profiles in their final form so Pio can "install" them on a discussion thread.

2. Revise the outline. This won't be part of the discussion thread, but you may want to keep a print copy for your personal files.

3. There is a small subplot involving Annunfuiniel and Pio that they may need to work out. I need to go back through my papers and dredge that material up and forward it to them.

I really hope to get these tasks finished in the next few days.

Cami
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 PM   #72
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OK, I've started working on whipping the proposal into final shape. I have shifted around some things so that the proposal appeared followed by the profiles and posts in the order that I envision them on the discussion thread.

I've also reserved a spot just after that on the thread for the revised planning outline.

Am now going to collapse into bed.
Cami
Old 09-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #73
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I recently had a note from Annunfuiniel. She returned from vacation and is now chasing after her exams. She expects to be back in gear next week.

I am working on revisions and the outline (Honest!)

Cami
Old 09-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #74
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

All planners,

The revisions are done! Yeah!

Please look at the proposal at the beginning of the thread and make sure everything for your character is correct. If any changes are needed, let me know on this thread by Wednesday morning at 9 am.

Also, look at the outline below. If there is anything that needs to be changed or added, let me know. This is obviously rough, but will flesh out as we play the story.

Make a copy of the outline to keep near your computer or on it. It won't be available on the public thread.

One minor addition. I will do a cameo for Greta, one of the women encamped in the Weather Hills at the beginning and end of the game to give us a flavor of conditions in that group. I will post a cameo profile -- a few lines only -- once posters start to sign up.

Keep your fingers crossed. The boards have been slow.

Pio -

Unless we uncover some unknown difficulty, feel free to put up the discussion thread anytime after noon on Wednesday.

Cami

Revised Outline

Act I. Initial period of distrust and suspicion. (3 weeks real time; 2 weeks game time)
  • Rangers bring news to the Big and Little Folk about a band of refugees who have turned to crime and pillage
  • Fears of an attack on Bree
  • Meeting held by Mayor and Rangers with everyone present: confusion, acrimony. etc.
  • Andreth attempts to start an afternoon school for the children to bridge the two worlds, but this attempt backfires: general pranks, perhaps some mischief of Will's that is blamed on the little folk.
  • Background post from the large group of refugees (ca. 200) encamped in the Weather Hills showing their miserable plight (Child)
  • Background posts from the advance party of 8-10 scouts send out to pillage surrounding villages and ascertain the lay of the land: disagrement within their ranks as to the advisability of 'loot and burn' versus 'occupation'

Act II. A Crisis and a Turning of the Tide (3 weeks real time, 2 weeks game time)
  • forest fire
  • Joint missions to prepare for the onslaught
  • possible subplots --repairs to hedge and dyke (use boards, piles of trash, interlaced tree branches, etc.); mixed group of Big and Little Folk spying on bandits; gathering up suitable arms for all (e.g., hobbit smithies making arrowheads and spearheads; Mannish smithy working on swords and fitting blades on cudgels); rounding up hobbits from outlying communities and persuading them to come to town behind the fence

Act III. The Successful Defense (3 weeks real time, one week game time)
  • possibly an intial scene where bandits launch siege attack and Breelanders defend their city walls
  • counter-offense on top of Bree-hill to make sure no one sneaks in
  • possible expedition sent out to encircle remaining attackers (including women and children).
  • Party
  • Rangers offer refugees a chance to start over again in Arthedain far to the north where they can join in the assault against the Witch King's agents.

What order should we do these last two things in?

General notes that are critical to the plot:

Pio on the forest fire:

It needs to be in a place not too far from the town - something easily accessible by the children.

The Old North Road comes down from Fornost (the southern tip of the North Downs). It is the road used by the Dunedain in the early Third Age on their travels from Fornost, the chief city of Arthedain down to Tharbad and then to Gondor.

The north Road passes through the North Gate of Bree. The children could pass out there and up to a moderately large sized copse of trees and underbrush along the western edge of Bree Hill (where there could be some small old shallow caves or burrows).

Their carelessness can start the fire (a hasty retreat - not wanting to be seen or caught . . . the cause of the fire might rouse some suspicions as to who might have actually set it).

One or two of the children can have lagged behind and when they go to join their comrades (either as Hobbits to have fun, or as bullies to make trouble)they can spot the fire and run for help.

It would probably be easiest to rescue the children from the hill above the cave (bringing them up by rope sling) - though it might be interesting to have one or two that are not in the cave and have to be found and brought to the rescue site.

It would probably be good to dig a fireline between the southern edge of the fire and the northern edge of the dike and hedge that are the defense of the town.

Child's reflections on the bandits:

It would seem to me that a lot of people in Rhudaur would have been displaced by the Nazgul's movement in the mountains, not just hobbits, as everything pushed westward. By 1350 that entire kingdom of Rhudaur would fall under the Hillman who were in league with Angmar. Is it possible that some hints of this started as early as 1305, with individual villages in the eastern parts of Rhudaur being wiped out by the Orcs or hillmen or such? That would explain why large groups of people were turned out onto the road and became "outlaws" as they headed west. They'd be pretty desperate by the time they reached Bree, especially in a time of dearth.

And more....

After the villages were wiped out by the Hillmen and Orcs (with many residents slaughtered), the remaining population began to migrate westward. So there would have been some women and children in this larger group as well as men and skilled fighters. This large group would be camped out in the Weather Hills. Gradually, more and more refugees who'd been driven will join up with them, filtering in with small bands. They will have a maximum of maybe 200 people.

This development will not figure directly in our story. It will simply be established as fact in the first post by Tara and the other bbandits.

These displaced villagers in the Weather Hills have sent out an advance posse to scout the land and see what might be feasible. This would be the group of men we are dealing with through most of the story: the advance posse. They are the better fighters and leaders, but definitely not "professional" warriors. Some have families that have been murdered, while others do have women and children back in the main encampment near Weathertop waiting for them. Tara's character is the leader of this band.

The advance posse of men is at first split on the advisability of attacking Bree, and whether the main goal of their attack is to loot and gather wealth, or to take over the town physically. Perhaps, they make those decisions in the course of the story.

They will definitely decide to attack and must then call back and tell the large group to come forward on the road. This is why there is a delay since a small party of 7-8 men could obviously not launch an attack.

It will take several weeks for the scouts to make their recommendation. Then it would take at least a week for 200 people to get ready to leave. Another week on the road to get close to Bree (Many are on foot.) Finally, some time to train and organize their attack. This would easily accomodate 5 weeks of game time.

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #75
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
What order should we do these last two things in?
The order they're in now, I would think. The general joy of the party would influence the big folks' to agree with the hobbits' idea of offering them aid up north.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #76
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Arwen,

Check your pms.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cami

Old 09-15-2003, 04:46 PM   #77
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Whoops! Big mistake....I forgot to ask the folk joining the game for first posts. So I revised the characters needed section. Here is what I added:

First posts :

The first posts for hobbits and men should show how your adult character feels about the other group (positive or not), plus your reaction when you hear the news about the threat from the outlaw band and the fact that a joint meeting has been called.

The first posts for the outlaws should show what happened to their familes when the village was destroyed and your feelings about the proposed attack on Bree. Just how eager are you? Do you see it as a way to get fast treasure or a place to settle down?

If you see any problems, let me know.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:31 AM   #78
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I have the Discussion Thread up in a closed form at present.

I'll place a notice of new game opening in the Inn.

Is there an opening post for the game as yet? Or will that be decided once all the characters and posts are chosen?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:30 PM   #79
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuiniel,

Here is my suggested order of posts:

1. Annun's Rosco Woodfarer
2. Annun and Child's combined post for Mausi, Andreth, and Kali
3. Pio's post for Berilac
4. Child's additional post for Andreth
5. Beren87's post for Minastan
6. Nurumaiel's post for Edmund

I think these posts could go up in the actual game before we even get any of the others, since we're asking new folk to respond to the news of the bandits.

Tara's post for Lotar should probably wait to go up until we get more of the bandit posts in.

Do you think this will work?

Cami/Child
Old 09-16-2003, 11:53 PM   #80
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Sharon,

The order of the posts seems good to me, so I think that's settled then. And about putting the posts up on the actual game thread: that shouldn't cause any trouble. Just as you said other posters will react to the news about the bandits, and later they'll be in contact with our characters in the next posts when the meeting is held.

Also, check your PMs (soon). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Annun