Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2003, 05:15 PM   #41
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

We could definately use an Ent, Carlas.

Yay! I just scanned Ith's picture. It looks great. Ith, I'll email it to you shortly.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:14 PM   #42
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

A first post? Well, here goes:

Kalir urged the horse under him on. He could feel that the horse needed rest. Kalir, too, needed rest, come to think of it. He had been riding hard for a while now, trying to reach Orthanc as soon as he could. The events up until this point were still a blur, from the panic at the disappearance of his father and close friend to the actual discovery of their bodies. It had happened so quickly, and now there he was, farther from home than he had ever been, planning on doing who knows what to avenge the deaths.

Kalir slowed Baragalap to a trot as reached and pulled out the hide in which he kept water. He took a long drink and looked around. He should almost be there.

Urging Baragalap along, Kalir galloped over one last hill, only to rein up in surprise. There before him stood the great black tower. Kalir gaped in amazement. He had heard of buildings of this size, but he had never really believed they existed. Kalir proceeded carefully forward, trotting fairly slowly, taking in the new sights and sounds.

Kalir stopped and asked a villager to direct him to a stable. Kalir rode towards the great tower. Once he reached the stables, he left Baragalap in the youthful hands of a stable boy, but only after he gave the boy a bit of silver. One could not be too sure what another would do, given the opportunity and an available horse.

Who had said that? It was familiar. It was probably something Kalir's father once said. Kalir's thoughts went back to his mother and sister as he walked towards Orthanc. He hoped that all was well back at the farm. He also hoped they would not need Baragalap while he was away.

Kalir saw the guards as he moved towards Orthanc.

"What business do you have?" one guard asked.

"I have come about the recent killings...thought to be the work of huorns," Kalir said, tensing up, worried that he would not be admitted.

One guard sighed, "Well, get in line, then. They are going to discuss that very thing today, actually. You are in luck."

The guard moved aside, letting Kalir in.

Kalir moved through the tower. He followed the voices. He marvelled at the exquisite work around him.

He walked in on a council that was apparently already in session...
Old 04-01-2003, 07:39 PM   #43
DayVampyre
Wight

DayVampyre has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ok here be the first post, I'll most likey rework it a bit once the real thread is opened.

The sun rose over the city buildings, but that was not what woke Avery from her revery. A sharp poking in the side of her ribs is what roused her into reality. She opened her eyes and saw a finely dressed man standing above her.

"Come on, now! I don't need you street rats in front of my place of business"

Avery scowled at the horrible man. She had fallen asleep on a wooden bench outside a store. Not that it looked like a store in the dark. She stood up and walked away. The rich man watched her until she was a safe distance away from his shop. Avery strolled down the city streets. The streets which she had called home for about ten years now. Soon, Avery would have to leave.

Being a thief wasn't easy. Avery was one of the best and up until recently had never been caught. A few close calls, everyone has them in the business, but Avery had gotten caught while trying to rob a bank. It had been a big job. But sometimes the fates turn on you and they turned on Avery. The judge had been about to sentence the seventeen year old to hang, but recieved a reprieve at the last minute.

"Or, if you so desire, you will travel to the Fanghorn, and try figure out why the Huorns are restless. Your, cleverness, might help you there"

Avery had agreed. She would have agreed to anything at that point. She had two days to leave the city. Avery was on the outskirts of the city when she noticed a stable. There was a sign next to the stables. What it said, Avery certainly didn't know, for she could not read, all she needed to know was that a stable had horses and horses meant faster travel. Avery smiled to herself.

With shouts of "STOP!" and "THIEF!", Avery sped away on a brown horse. She traveled about a day or so, gathering directions from locals and other wayfarers and she eventually arrived at Isenguard. She noticed a few people riding distance away from her. She decided to ride over and greet them...

I figure thats not too shabby, openers are always the hardest, I think.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:00 AM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I tried to resist this game, but just read over the discussion thread for the third time, and find myself caving in! The original Blue Mountain was so good.

Do you still need players? Would it be possible to play a huorn, one who harbors deep grievances and whose memory goes back across the ages?

Please let me know if this might work, and I'll try to develop a profile.

Cami Goodchild
Old 04-02-2003, 04:43 AM   #45
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course you can still participate, we (well I at least) would love to see a couple of huorn's!

Matt

PS- Ith or Brin, can you send that picture to princeofmordor@hotmail.com
Old 04-02-2003, 09:05 AM   #46
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Guys, I´ve been thinking, and I decided to change Anarya´s location from Minas Anor to Isengard. There´s two reasons: a) It would make much more sense, because why would a blacksmith from Minas Anor come to Isengard? I mean, they surely have their own blacksmiths there, so where´s ther point. And another reason is, I thought I might have her know one of the dissapearing people, so she has a real reason to go on the trip. Okay with you?
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>
First Post:
Mistress, listen to this!" An exited apprentice came bursting into Anarya´s forge, almost making her drop the knife she had been forging.

"Buck! Don´t you ever do that again, you hear? I almost dropped this!"

He hastily apoligized, then started talking again, going 200 miles an hour. Anarya let her attetion level drop to the barest minimum. Once again she wondered if it had been a good idea to make a boy this young her newest apprentice. Buck, who´s father was a poor craftman, spent ages telling her about the smallest incidences. Suddenly, however, she thought she had heard the words "dissapeared" "swords" "work".

"Buck, what did you you just say?" she asked, tentivly.

"I said, another child has dissapeared. And everyone´s sayin´ we should fight back, because the trees have gone to far. And that we should get to work and start makin´ swords and such, because everyone´ll want armour. That´s what I said, and now´ll be off, if you don´t mind."

Thoughtfully, Anarya watched him dissapear. He was right, if there was talk about fighting, paople would turn to her. Anarya´s forge "The Red Forge", on one of the main streets of Isengard, was one of the best of the city. For a moent, she thought of the tree´s victims. She knew one of them- Orodeth had been her nephew, only an infant, when he had been taken. Anarya forced her tears back. She needed to concentrate on her work. But while she heated iron for a sword she swore to herself:
"If there´s a way to get those trees under control, I will be part of it. I swear, I will."
Old 04-02-2003, 09:24 AM   #47
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Cami!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Woohooo!

(Now if only I would hear from Gandalf.)

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-02-2003, 11:38 AM   #48
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Here's the first post. I don't actually get to anywhere but I'm heading to civilisation! By the way, for a picture of Telp, just think random Lothlorien elf in the film!
###############

The figure slipping through the trees would have been missed by most eyes, his deep green cloak blending with the light and shade of leafy branches. He walked slowly, enjoying the forest, occasionally stopping to lay his hands on a trunk. After a few hours he sat down and leant against an overgrown root, reaching into his pack to get out some food. He pushed back the hood of his cloak revealing a face which, for a man, might have been guessed at 25 or so, as well as long blonde hair and pointed Elven ears. His grey eyes looked thoughtful as he ate, and he sighed once or twice.

Telpeheled had been wandering without seeing anyone for almost a year, deep into Fangorn Forest. Before that he had spent almost a century in the city of Dol Amroth in Gondor, but they had many skirmishes with Corsairs which distressed him. He had planned to visit again the Rohirrim in Edoras, for their strength and beauty was widely famed, but they were a warlike people even in the relative peace that Arda was enjoying. Despite the sword at his belt Telpeheled was unwilling to fight except in greatest need. Although his skills had often saved the lives of innocent people, it was the lives he had cut short that stuck with him. Sometimes in his waking dreams he thought he saw them, calling to him. Trees may not be as interesting as quick thinking, quick living mortal men, but they did not expect him to draw his sword.

Telpeheled had hoped that he might meet the famed tree herders, the Ents, in Fangorn for he had heard much about them in his former home in Lothlorien but so far there had not been a sign. The face designed for smiling had been pensive for a while, and solitude was beginning to grate.

Turning with a smile he addressed the tree. "I thank you for your hospitality, but I believe that even in a forest such as yours a being may long for conversation. And so, I bid you goodbye"
With an elaborate bow he picked up his pack and began to walk towards Rohan. He chuckled as he went.
Talking to trees? he thought There's a number of people who have called you mad, and you come close to proving them right sometimes!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-02-2003, 01:05 PM   #49
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Thanks, everyone. I'm really looking forward to this!

Brinniel, Auriel, Ithaeliel, Mattius --Just to confuse you all thoroughly, ignore my memoes totally and let me know on this thread about the three questions below. I think it's mroe clear cut. That should take care of things, so I can do the profile and post.

1. Just how nasty and bloodthirsty should I make my character?

2. How much should I reveal or hide of the reasons the Huorns have for going on this rampage? (Believe me, I have no idea at this point as to their precise motivation!)

3. Would you want me to do occasional descriptive, background posts showing the situation with the huorns from the very beginning of the story, or should I wait for later on to post anything, after you folk actually make your way into the forest?

Thanks.

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 04-02-2003, 04:30 PM   #50
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The above questions are resolved. I got an answer from Auriel. Thank you very much!

Will do the profile and post soon.

sharon
Old 04-02-2003, 06:53 PM   #51
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Yay! Sharon is here! I'm glad you liked the Blue Mountains, and glad you could join us- as a huorn, no less! Sooo excited now!

Matt & Auriel: Brinn is apparently having a bit of trouble sending the pic in an email, so it may be a couple of days before it gets to you. I hope you like it!

Ith
Old 04-03-2003, 01:19 AM   #52
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I know this is a little strange, but my profile and first post are one and the same. But then being a huorn is different than other characters I've played. Unlike the Ents, these guys are direct and primitive, more like trees than intelligent creatures..
See if this is alright:

Brethil, the Great Birch, was the eldest and wisest of the sentient trees that belong to the race of the Huorn. He lived within the sweet dales of Fangorn Forest. None knew his exact age, but his memories ranged back for hundreds of years. The other trees paid him respect, both for his physical prowess and his innate understanding of nature.

Like others of his race, Brethil’s strength was immense. His roots burrowed deep in the soil, and his limbs towered up to the heavens, bending and swaying with the wild music of the winds. Like his cousins and brothers, Brethil was “limb lithe," and could move swiftly and surely from place to place while wrapped in shadow of darkness.

When enraged, the Huorn could be utterly ruthless, and Brethil was no exception. In the past, he had struck down Orcs and other evildoers who had dared set foot within Fangorn. Yet, towards others, Brethil had shown restraint and obeyed the dictates of the Ents, or tree shepherds, who urged the Huorn to let the travellers pass. Brethil was simple and primitive, his passions strong and direct, but he was not a creature of evil.

Now, all was changing, as older customs gave way to the new order of Men. The fading of the Ents deeply troubled Brethil, since the tree shepherds had always provided the Huorn with guidance. The Huorn could not understand why the Ents were going and blamed their departure on Orcs and Men.

For Brethil, the Age of the Dominion of Men only seemed to mean more travelers coming with axes and splitting mawls seeking wood to construct distant buildings and cities. Many of these Men came not from Isengard, but from Gondor and lands beyond.

Moreover, Brethil still had vivid memories of Saruman who had ordered the Orcs to murder trees. Unable to understand who Saruman really was, Brethil assumed he was another bad man, since he looked like one. While the number of Orc travellers had declined, men came in ever growing numbers. Brethil felt they often displayed an arrogance toward the land and a lack of respect for the trees.

Underneath all this, there was yet another reason for the Huorn’s rage, a great and sad secret which had only recently been revealed to Brethil. Brethil’s heart ached whenever he thought on it. But he kept his counsel hidden and would not reveal this thing to any outside his own people. It seemed too deep a mystery.

The end result of this was growing sorrow and anger. Like all the Huorn, Brethil was incapable of shedding tears and did not even know enough words to express his feelings. The only response open to him was to strike out physically in the manner of a small child. Unfortunately, he and the other Huorn wielded such power that any striking out was bound to bring innocent deaths.

As Brethil gazed about the woods, he saw Huorn after Huorn falling into savagery. Although Brethil himself had not killed any of the innocent travellers, that compulsion grew stronger every day. The Ents were gone, the old rules were gone, and there was nothing to take their place. He felt empty and angry and hungry for some kind of guidance and structure. It was only a matter of time until he could no longer resist the compulsion within his heart and would strike out with unreasoning hatred.

I have revealed some of the reasons for the Huorn's anger, but have kept one big hidden secret. Hope this will work.

Hey, Carlas, I am looking forward to your character. As you can see, things have gotten a little out of hand with the Huorn since the Ents departed.

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 04-03-2003, 04:59 PM   #53
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

I just had a quick idea that I thought I would run past you all. How about Radagast enters Orthanc either alone or with a couple of others? I say this because it may read better than everyone going gung-ho! into Fangorn. Also perhaps Orthanc could be locked an no-one has ever opened it since Saurman's leaving and as Radagast is the last Istari perhaps he alone can unlock the door.

Pretty lame but tell me what you think!

EDIT: Oh yeah another thing, C.o.t.7th Age's post is really good, I think that perhaps it should be the opening post and my own and Ith's should follow it. What do you all think?

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 04-03-2003, 11:32 PM   #54
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I don't have time to respond to all your thoughts, Mattius, but I do think that it would be good if Child's post was first.

Ok, now here's my first post:

The sky was overcast and grey as Calentoliel brought her horse into a trot. She was headed for Isengard; her mind had been set on it for weeks now. The elf had hardly rested since she had left the Blue Mountains.

Since she had parted from her sister Rothalle, who had gone West, the Blue Mountains had been Calentoliel's favorite place to rest. The mountains and the forest that sat by it brought back memories; good memories of her friends that she had met and adventured with in that very place a thousand years ago. Save her sister, Calentoliel had not seen one of those friends since then. Faye Took and Olo Gamwich were long dead, but the others- Endereth, Mattius, and Radagast- still dwelled in Middle-earth and Calentoliel hoped one day she would see them again. The elf had grown lonely over the years. In fear that she would stand out too much, she rarely traveled into towns and cities and hardly spoke to anyone, save a friendly hello as she passed another by.

The motive for Calentoliel's travels to Isengard was the vision she had the night before she left the Blue Mountains. She had seen images of her friends; not images of the past, but of the future. She also saw new faces; those whom she did not recognize. Calentoliel wondered what this vision meant; perhaps a new adventure, she thought. Whatever the vision meant, Calentoliel had suddenly felt the urgent need to leave for Isengard. She called a horse, who was called Losthyando, and left the next day.

And now here she was, riding Losthyando, pondering over what the future would bring. Isengard was not far; tiny specks of building began to appear in the distance and Orthanc stood out particularly. Calentoliel was so into her thoughts, gazing out into the distance, she did not see what lay directly in front of her until she was nearly on top of it, her horse stopping suddenly.

What Calentoliel saw horrified her and brought back terrible memories. In front of her lay a human body, mangled to the point where it was unrecognizable. It took a moment for Calentoliel to register what she saw, and when she did, she slid off her horse with ease. The elf bent over the body, which now appeared to be a man, and observed him with curiousity. What had happened to this man? What thing could've possibly done something so gruesome? She had to know the answers.

Gently, Calentoliel placed her hands on the body and began to sing softly. She sang in the ancient tongue she knew, searching for the answers to her questions. The magic flowed from the elf and into the dead body. Images formed in her mind. The images were of fear, pain, and the presence of a hidden shadow. What was this shadow? Calentoliel also searched for this answer, but to know avail. The shadow remained but a shadow, clouded and vague.

Calentoliel stopped singing and relaxed as she felt the energy being drained from her. The man was from Isengard. Perhaps she could find out more about him and whatever had killed him once she arrived there.

Seeing no reason to bring such a mangled body into the city, Calentoliel buried the dead man, and marked his grave.

She mounted Losthyando and once again looked out into the distance. More than ever, she felt the need to continue for Isengard; there seemed to be more reason for it now. The elf looked even further into the distance, seeing a cluster of trees. The Fangorn Forest. Just looking at the forest caused a threat to grow in Calentoliel's mind. She had always feared that place. But now the fear had grown as she could feel the threat of the shadow. Whatever had killed the man had come from the Fangorn Forest. It didn't seem possible; how could the man been killed there and yet his body lay here? But Calentoliel knew it was so as the images of the vague shadow flooded through her.

Looking away, Calentoliel kicked her horse, and they took off in a gallop. Calentoliel would reach Isengard within the hour.

Phew! All done.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #55
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Looks good, Envinyatar. You're accepted. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 02:59 AM   #56
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Silmaril

Hello,
Ive spoken to Ithaeliel and I would like to ask to join your RPG. This is my characters profile

Name: Ishbel
Origin: Maiden in th keep of Isengard. Orphaned in attacks of Huorns, she is disillusioned by the current situation. Wandering the village and forest by day and night, she gives little thought for her own safety. Once a young maiden of beautiful talent in singing and weaving, Ishbel's mournful cries can be heard through the night.
Physical appearance: Pale blue eyes and corn xoloured hair. Wears dresses of mute colours, though recently has been wearing black. Village people say she needs comfort, but have not been able to succeed in quelling her grief.

I suppose thats it for now. I am still catching up on your posts and understanding the plot etc. I'll put in my first post in discussion first if I am accepted

Thankyou [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #57
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Bio for a huorn? Thats hard! Is this OK as a bio? And is the first post for Telpeheled OK?

Name: Well, if he ever had one, he's forgotten it!

Appearance: A beech tree, gnarled and bent, old and crabby, few new leaves, those he sprouts seem to look old before their time, around about 70 ft tall, though used to be much bigger or so it seems to him- age has bent his back, pitted and marked with all sorts of mysterious things, holes and what look like burnt patches

Personality/History: Once he may have been an Ent, long ages ago, but now he barely moves and barely thinks. He has more feelings than coherent ideas- and all his feelings say that something is wrong. Not inherently evil perhaps, he will do anything with no thought of whether it is good or bad, the consequences or even what it is he is doing. Little concept of memory, he doesn't know what happened yesterday or the day before, and earlier memories are vague ideas. Bitter at the world and its dwellers, only contact with an Ent might have any effect on him.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #58
Iarbarion
Animated Skeleton

Iarbarion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hi, I'm not sure if it's too late for me to create a character but I'll try anyways.

Name: Iarbarion (Coincidence?)

Race: Elf of the Mirkwood realm

Weapons: A Longbow from Lothlorien... about 3/5 of his size and two small swords.

Appearance: Not small but not tall, somewhere around 5'10". Dark, brown, penetrating eyes and long blond hair (almost white.) Lengthy arms that make him a skilled sword handler. Extremely pointy ears.

Personality: Somewhat suspicios but extremely friendly once he is known. Very honest and reliable. Prefers bow over swords.

Strengths: Has lengthy arms which make him good with swords.

Weaknesses: Seeing non-evil creatures killed.

History: Has lost both parents in battle. Unknown birthplace but has resided in Rivendell.
"I grudge you nothing that I have. Yet I desire that none shall dwell beyond my walls who know the way hither; and if I trust you, my sister, others I trust less to keep guard on their tongues." -Turgon to Aredhel
Old 04-06-2003, 02:50 PM   #59
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll open up Orthanc for ye Matt but better watch out what I spirits I may let loose upon those folk of Fanghorn and Middle Earth beyond. Remember this Istari maketh more errors than dilemmas solve!

I haven't got a first post. I prefer to build something from other people's writing and to fit in with the general feel and direction the story takes.
(You can tell I'm a Bohemian kind of lass.)
Old 04-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #60
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Lyra Greenleaf- You should probably give your huorn a name of some sort. It'll be less confusing that way.

I think we have plenty of characters now. Hopefully we can get started on this RPG soon.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Brinniel ]
Old 04-06-2003, 03:33 PM   #61
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Brinnel- Yeah I think 3 ents/huorns is enough to go along with.

Iarbarion- if you absolutely have to play an elf (we already have a few too many really) could you make him a bit older as it is 1000 years after the War of the Ring and therefore there are not any elf kingdoms left. You could make him a wandering elf like the others or just change him to a man of Rohan Gondor etc as we mostly (maybe only) have female humans!

Auriel- let them spirits fly. All those documents in Saurman's old cuboards must have some interesting things in, and I'd like to check what he keeps under his bed myself!
Old 04-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #62
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
(maybe only) have female humans
*ahem* It's not that bad, Aldor is very male.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:49 PM   #63
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

My apologies, I couldn't be bothered to look back over the thread so made an uneducated guess. Still, there is a strong female to male ratio.

Also, is this RPG ready to begin in ernest? I think it is, what do the other co-owners think?
Old 04-06-2003, 04:03 PM   #64
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Does he have to have a name? I wanted to make him sort of shadowy and mysterious. Well, if it's necessary, what about Lim? Does this mean he's in otherwise?
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #65
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

I don't think it is neccesary for him to have a name.

EDIT: Sorry I scan read your poast, yeah hes in.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 04-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #66
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Lyra- It's not necessary for the huorn to have a name, but it'd probably be best if you had something to call him by.

Iarbarion- Seeing that you are a Newly Deceased, I'm not sure if you're ready to participate in RPGs in the Rohan forum. I suggest that you check out The Green Dragon Inn located in The Shire and participate in some RPGs there first.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:01 PM   #67
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

How about "the ancient beech tree"? Otherwise, like I said, Lim
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-09-2003, 02:43 PM   #68
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Can we please have first posts from all those who haven't already done so, so that we can get this show on the road!!
Old 04-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #69
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Is it a absolute requirement? Because I prefer to see how it would fit into the game and then write it, fitting it into others people's posts.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #70
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Yeah thats okay, I know Auriel likes to work that way too, I will cross your name from the list. Let me just go back and have a look who we are still waiting on.

EDIT: Ah ha it seems upon looking back that everyone except Auriel and Dragoneyes have made a first post and these have expressed their wish not to until after the others have been posted. So I guess now its just up to which order we put the posts. Brinn, Ith, Auriel?

[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 04-10-2003, 03:56 PM   #71
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

I've put posts in order before and it's actually quite easy. I don't know if I have the time to do so now, but I'll try to figure out an order by tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:25 PM   #72
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Hey, I'm back momentarily! Brinn, are you going to email me that picture? I was hoping to get it out this weekend.

I'll be able to catch up with everything on Saturday, for those of you who I'm in other RPGs with! I'm not dead (yet)! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #73
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Here's a first post for 'the tree'. I waas thinking, perhaps after he interacts with others he might remember his name!

The light dappled the old beech, and the breeze gently blew its leaves. The old tree let out a groan. Anyone watching might have thought it was just the wind bending the branches, but it was the tree itself. There was a feeling of unhappiness and unease about the grove itself. Grudges built up for years and years, anger and bitterness. It was the huge beech that was at the centre of it all, just as his size overawed the smaller trees growing around it. Over the long years of his life he had kept a record of every time he had been burnt, hacked or damaged by a man. There was a vague recollection of better times, perhaps movement, even talking, communicating to the trees and…Ents. The word came to his head from the vestiges of old memory, back in the hazy past. It seemed to be an important word, something that meant something. He often felt this way, like there was a memory, a feeling, just out of reach. But it was all a long time ago. With another groan the tree settled down, but rage festered in his core, deep down.
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #74
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

By the way, I'm going to be away for a week, would someone put up my 2 first posts for me?
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-11-2003, 12:52 PM   #75
Faxon Spear
Pile O'Bones

Faxon Spear has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name: Algernon (Algy)
Race: Human

Appearance: Brown eyes and brown hair, his face is rarely shaven. Broad shoulders and strong legs, he wears generally commoner's clothing. He carries an axe and a heavy cloak.

Personality: Algy is loud and has a great love for women and ale. Flirts with any woman, from the plainest to the most beautiful, and is surprising well liked by everyone, even husbands. He is unpredictable and quick-witted.

History: Algernon was born in Gondor, the son of an innkeeper. He is a middle child, the brother of five sister and very well educated in the ways of women. By the time their last daughter was born, Algy's parents were growing old and would later decided to move to a more peaceful place, away from the inn business.
All of his sisters, besides his youngest, had been married off by his matchmaker of a mother and so Algernon agreed to help his parents move to Orthanc. In Orthanc Algy eventually decided to stay with his father, especially since his mother died soon after arriving. His father lay beside his wife soon afterwards and Algy settled down to a comfortable bachelor life.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:54 PM   #76
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Faxon Spear: I think we have room for one more man. Algernon sounds good; he's got a unique personality (I generally don't tend to think of big flirts as likeable [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), he is named after a little white mouse, and overall he's a good character. There's just one detail missing: why is Algernon coming with us? Does he have a friend who died at the hands of a huorn? Did he meet the company unexpectedly on their way to Orthanc? We definitely need a motive; this is not something someone would normally "just do." Could you please supply that as well as a first post? Thank you.

As for order of posts- I definitely think that Child's should be first. It gives the RPG a sense of mystery, which will probably be evident throughout the story. I also agree that it could be followed up by my/Mattius' post. I'll leave the rest of the ordering up to Brinn, since she seems to be better at these things. As soon as that's done, I believe we can open the RPG.

Here are all the characters we have. The bolded ones are those who don't prefer to pre-write their first post:

Huorns/Ents:

Child of the 7th Age as Brethil
Evinyatar as Cuercus
Lyra Greenleaf as the ancient beech tree Lim
NO ENTS!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Questers (what would you call this type of party...?):

Faxon Spear as Algernon
Taralphiel as Ishbel
Ithaeliel as Endereth
Mark12_30 as LinGalad
Aylwen Dreamsong as Ajada
Brinniel as Calentoliel
Manardariel as Anarya
DayVampyre as Avery
Lyra Greenleaf as Telpeheled
VanimaEdhel as Kalir
Dragoneyes as Aldor
Mattius as himself
Auriel as Radagast

I think we have a quite sufficient number of "questers," but we need one or two more Ents. Auriel, are you still planning to double as an Ent or an Entwife? Also, bad news: Carlas has informed me that due to personal complications, she/he (sorry, I don't know!) will not be able to participate. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

We're not too far off now!

[ April 12, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Old 04-13-2003, 10:48 AM   #77
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'll be an Ent!

Name: Lightleaf
Race: Ent
Appearance: He has the appearance of a weeping willow, around 80ft high and his trunk is about 4ft in diameter. He has a hole about half-way up his trunk which once had creatures living in it but it's now abandoned.
History/Personality: Slow to anger and long-thinking as all Ents are but Lightleaf is particularly peaceful and enjoys nothing more than settling on the banks of a river and conversing with the trees around him while drinking. He walks quietly yet swiftly when need be, which is how he got his name.

If anyone has any ideas as to why the Ents have retreated back into the heart of Fangorn, I would like to hear because I have no idea. Once I get an idea I'll probably add something more into the profile but is that ok for now?
Old 04-13-2003, 12:39 PM   #78
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

I think that they have retrated due to men living close to the borders and needing wood for their houses etc. Best wait for Ith's reply though, it was her idea mainly so she will be able to give a better answer!

Quote:
You know me, Ith! I tried to find another pretty 'J' name, but all the ones I liked sounded too arabic for a Tolkien RPG. Oh well!
Aylwen I was so just looking under a name fantasy site and thought I would paste you the 'J' list in case you ever needed to use one again.

Jacor
Jaden
Jadzia
Jaheira
Jahrec
Jalasil
Jaligal
Janda'nan
Janix
Jarazal
Jarnagua
Jarvin
Jasara
Jaseve
Jasha
Javon
Jayce
Jayden
Jaylidan
Jayna
Jehryn
Jelyn
Jenantar
Jerec
Jesiper
Jesslyn
Jestyn
Jevist
Jezryanadar
Jhael
Jhaelen
Jhany
Jhardamòr
Jharkor
Jhary
Jihad
Jillian
Jingizu
Jintah
Jiriki
Jirnost
Jochan
Jomano
Jonaya
Jornadesh
Joscelyn
Jubini
Juntalin
Jura
Jurim
Juss
Jyresh

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM   #79
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Mattius is right; the Ents retreated because of the settlement of Men in Isengard and their need for industry. Also, they felt they were able to because the threat of Saruman and his orcs was gone for good, and they didn't need to watch out for the huorns anymore because they knew Men would not harm them (which they don't, really). So there's your explanation! And because they went so far north, they don't know about anything that's happening in Isengard.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:15 PM   #80
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Yeah I knew I was rightr I just wanted to make sure!

Hey Brinn/Ith have either of you come up with an order of the initial posts yet? I have been reading the Blue Mountains RPG and its really good! Great epic final battle too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]