Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye The Threat of the Trees: RPG

Ithaeliel, Mattius, Brinniel and Auriel invite you to play their game, The Threat of the Trees.

Child of the Seventh Age's post:

Brethil, the Great Birch, was the eldest and wisest of the sentient trees that belong to the race of the Huorn. He lived within the sweet dales of Fangorn Forest. None knew his exact age, but his memories ranged back for hundreds of years. The other trees paid him respect, both for his physical prowess and his innate understanding of nature.

Like others of his race, Brethil?s strength was immense. His roots burrowed deep in the soil, and his limbs towered up to the heavens, bending and swaying with the wild music of the winds. Like his cousins and brothers, Brethil was ?limb lithe," and could move swiftly and surely from place to place while wrapped in shadow of darkness.

When enraged, the Huorn could be utterly ruthless, and Brethil was no exception. In the past, he had struck down Orcs and other evildoers who had dared set foot within Fangorn. Yet, towards others, Brethil had shown restraint and obeyed the dictates of the Ents, or tree shepherds, who urged the Huorn to let the travellers pass. Brethil was simple and primitive, his passions strong and direct, but he was not a creature of evil.

Now, all was changing, as older customs gave way to the new order of Men. The fading of the Ents deeply troubled Brethil, since the tree shepherds had always provided the Huorn with guidance. The Huorn could not understand why the Ents were going and blamed their departure on Orcs and Men.

For Brethil, the Age of the Dominion of Men only seemed to mean more travelers coming with axes and splitting mawls seeking wood to construct distant buildings and cities. Many of these Men came not from Isengard, but from Gondor and lands beyond.

Moreover, Brethil still had vivid memories of Saruman who had ordered the Orcs to murder trees. Unable to understand who Saruman really was, Brethil assumed he was another bad man, since he looked like one. While the number of Orc travellers had declined, men came in ever growing numbers. Brethil felt they often displayed an arrogance toward the land and a lack of respect for the trees.

Underneath all this, there was yet another reason for the Huorn?s rage, a great and sad secret which had only recently been revealed to Brethil. Brethil?s heart ached whenever he thought on it. But he kept his counsel hidden and would not reveal this thing to any outside his own people. It seemed too deep a mystery.

The end result of this was growing sorrow and anger. Like all the Huorn, Brethil was incapable of shedding tears and did not even know enough words to express his feelings. The only response open to him was to strike out physically in the manner of a small child. Unfortunately, he and the other Huorn wielded such power that any striking out was bound to bring innocent deaths.

As Brethil gazed about the woods, he saw Huorn after Huorn falling into savagery. Although Brethil himself had not killed any of the innocent travellers, that compulsion grew stronger every day. The Ents were gone, the old rules were gone, and there was nothing to take their place. He felt empty and angry and hungry for some kind of guidance and structure. It was only a matter of time until he could no longer resist the compulsion within his heart and would strike out with unreasoning hatred.

Mattius' and Ithaeliel's post:

Mattius laid down into the golden foliage with a sigh of delight. The fall and autumn leaves crackled under his weight as the elf put his hands behind his head. The little river sang close by and birds harmonised beside it. Opening his eyes he looked up at the streams of brilliant sunlight breaking through the naked treetops. He still liked the Golden Wood; even a thousand years after Galadriel had left, Lorien still had something magical and elvish about it.

He sat up and looked for Radagast, the wizard was a few feet away, kneeling down and filling up a flask from the small stream. The birds were dancing about him as he chatted back to them cheerfully. With a straining groan he pushed himself to his feet and the birds flew skywards. Mattius jumped to his feet but spun around when he heard horses hooves on the ground. Indeed there was a tall man dressed in the garb of Gondor riding a tall brown horse.

"Greetings!" Radagast said as the rider slowed his stallion and jumped down.

"Good afternoon to the pair of you," he replied, "I am Arthos, Messenger of Gondor." The man removed his helm to reveal his shoulder length black hair and shook hands with the elf and Radagast. "I travel to the Northern Kingdoms of the Dale and The Lonely Mountain but came to these woods to search for a river or stream where I may refill my water supplies."

"Then you have struck luck good sir," said Mattius leading him to the stream and helping him fill his flasks. "May I ask why you are heading so far north of Gondor, for it is a long ride."

"Indeed you may and indeed it is," Arthos said standing up to face the two travellers. "The King is in search of a hero, there has been problems in Fangorn." At this Radagast's mind sparked.

"Fangorn?" He asked in a calm voice.

"Yes I'm afraid so, people have been going in and are not being seen again. That wasn't so bad, people just tended to avoid it but just recently...." Arthos' voice trailed off.

"Yes?" Radagast said almost screaming.

"Well, bodies began to be found, ripped to shreds and now there are rumours of children being stolen from their beds during the dead of night. Things are looking really bad." For just a second Mattius caught the look in Radagast's eyes. Pure fear. "But I must be on my way, thank you for your help gentlemen." With that he put his helm back on, mounted his horse and rode north.

"What is wrong, Radagast?" asked Mattius.

The wizard looked up at the elf. "We need to go to Isengard immediately." Mattius nodded as Radagast began to walk south in deep thought. He would give Radagast time to speak his worries, one thousand years of being with him had let him know when to leave him be.

It was dusk in Lorien.

The ever-darkening clouds loomed overhead, their grey mass turned different shades of pink in the wake of the sun. Far beyond, to the east, a vast canvas of sky gave off flaming auras of all the colors of a rainbow. Amid the painted wisps of cloud and air was an orb of dark gold, ever sinking further toward the deeps of the world.

It was on such an evening that Endereth walked through the woods of Lothlorien again, after many, many years. Only shortly after her escapades in the Blue Mountains had she even set foot in the land she had once called home. But long since then she was a ranger. She had no home.
In her travels she had descried many processions of her people on their way to Valinor. Her heart broke again and again each time she saw them, for she knew they would never have her among them. She was a lone wayfarer, never to find a home with the elves again. She had forsaken them for her own desires long ago.

Now, as Endereth walked through the Golden Wood, once great and lit with the magic of the Lady of Light, she was taken aback at the magnitude of its fading. No sunlight shone now through the trees, and the golden leaves of winter were not nearly so wondrous as they once had been. Still they fell in numbers at her feet as she wrapped her dark cloak tighter still about her chilled body. The whole wood seemed to shrink before Ender's feet as her clear, icy eyes beheld a land shrouded in dusky silver.

Ahead of her there was an opening in the trees, leading to the shining waters of the river Nimrodel. Beside it, a tall bey mare was leashed to a tree. She neighed and lifted her head slightly as Endereth approached. The ranger gave a wry smile and stroked the mare's neck. "Yes, I remember it too, Caeren. It used to be glorious, but no longer. Now, let us move on."

The elven ranger mounted her steed hastily and they made east, following Nimrodel upstream, as the last sliver of sun sank behind the hills. Its light still gave a golden hue to Ender's face as she left Lorien; for the last time, she thought. Her back turned to the forest, she was surprised to hear three voices speaking with serious tones. Sliding off of Caeren's back, Endereth ran to the source of the voices, though their persuns were hidden from view. As soon as she believed she was close enough, Ender gave a startled cry to see a messenger of the King of Gondor ride away quickly. Just a few feet away she heard the two remaining voices speak.

"What is wrong, Radagast?"

Ender stifled a gasp. Radagast? Was Radagast the Brown, wizard and bird-lover, truly here in Lorien?

"We need to go to Isengard immediately." It was the voice of Radagast. Endereth would know the commanding tone anywhere. And it must have been Mattius with him!

As Radagast appeared and began to walk southward, Endereth walked out from behind a tree, breathless, unsure of what to say. A strong-looking, fair-haired elf looked up as she appeared, looked down again, and did a double-take. "Endereth?!" he shouted.

Radagast whipped around at Mattius' cry, his eyes growing wide, and he smiled in spite of himself. "Why, if it isn't the ranger Endereth! Mae govannem, my dear."

"Mae govannem, my old companions," Endereth replied, still reeling from the shock of seeing the two there of all places. "May I ask you both... what has just occured that requires a venture to Isengard?"

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 04-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
DayVampyre
Wight

DayVampyre has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The sun rose over the city buildings, but that was not what woke Avery from her revery. A sharp poking in the side of her ribs is what roused her into reality. She opened her eyes and saw a finely dressed man standing above her.

"Come on, now! I don't need you street rats in front of my place of business"

Avery scowled at the annoying man. She had fallen asleep on a wooden bench outside a store. Not that it looked like a store in the dark. She stood up and walked away. The rich man watched her until she was a safe distance away from his shop. Avery strolled down the city streets. The streets which she had called home for about ten years now. Soon, Avery would have to leave.

Being a thief wasn't easy. Avery was one of the best and up until recently had never been caught. A few close calls, everyone has them in the business, but Avery had gotten caught while trying to rob a bank. It had been a big job. But sometimes the fates turn on you and they turned on Avery. The judge had been about to sentence the seventeen year old to hang, but recieved a reprieve at the last minute.

"Or, if you so desire, you will travel to the Fanghorn, and try figure out why the Huorns are restless. Your, cleverness, might help you there"

Avery had agreed. She would have agreed to anything at that point. She had two days to leave Gondor. Avery was on the outskirts of the city when she noticed a stable. There was a sign next to the stables. What it said, Avery certainly didn't know, for she could not read, all she needed to know was that a stable had horses and horses meant faster travel. Avery smiled to herself.

With shouts of "STOP!" and "THIEF!", Avery sped away on a brown horse. She traveled about a day or so, gathering directions from locals and other wayfarers and she arrived at Isenguard by nightfall. She slowed the horse down from a gallop to a canter and then to a moderate walk. She stopped the horse at the top of a hill and looked down a sleepy village below. Smoke had begun to rise out of chimmnies and candles glowed from windows. A small kick to the horse's sides and Avery continued down the path.

She continued until she arrived at a small tavern. Being tired of riding and traveling, Avery rode the horse over to a small stable and after securing the horse, she walked back over to the tavern and entered...

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 04-17-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“Ajada! Jaedyn! Wake up NOW!” Mistress Halena called from the bottom of the ladder to the attic. She was too broad to climb it and wake her husband’s two female writing apprentices.

Jaedyn rolled over in bed, and Ajada groggily got up off her bottom bunk. Climbing the small ladder to the top bunk, Ajada could only see Jaedyn’s mouse-brown hair through the mess of blankets. Shoving Jaedyn off the bed, Ajada prepared for the loud thump that followed as Jaedyn hit the wooden floor.

“I’m up! I’m up!” Jaedyn cried, though her voice was muffled through the covers. Ajada rolled her eyes and got dressed, pulling on her comfortable breeches and an oversized tunic, borrowed from Josham, another apprentice. This was the day that she would set out for Isengard. Somehow, the Master of the house, Leo, had found out about serious problems involving attacks from the forest. Master Leo had been given leave by the King to send someone to document the journey to straighten out everything. Leo chose Ajada, not only because her father had been close counselor to the royal family, but also because she was his best reporter.

Grabbing her pack, Ajada looked around the dark room, which was only lit by the slight rays of sun showing through the round window. She had everything she needed for the journey to Isengard and Fangorn: her pen, ink, papers, clothing, and extras of everything. She also brought the things needed to brew ink, though few would be used to the stench if she tried to make it on the trip. Dismissing the memories of all her ink-making days, Ajada walked back over to the heap of Human and blankets that was Jaedyn.

“I have to go now! Don’t forget to finish the report on the new Gondorian Sewer Systems! Leo will have a fit if it’s late by more than ten minutes!” Ajada said goodbye to the other girl, and in return received a smack in the face as Jaedyn rolled over on the wooden floor. Ajada sighed and rolled Jaedyn towards the floor-door that entered down to the attic-ladder and towards the second floor of the home. Shoving Jaedyn through the hatch, Ajada watched as the girl bounced off the ladder and hit the second floor with a deep, resounding thunk.

Going down the steps of the attic ladder was no problem for her, and she walked down the upstairs hallway of the Record Master’s home in Gondor, stepping carefully over a grumbling Jaedyn. Walking by the first open door, Ajada waved to Master Leo’s son Marlen and the scribe’s other apprentice, Josham. Walking into the room, Josh was writing something, and Marlen was looking over his shoulder.

“I’ve got to set out soon, I’ve come to say goodbye!” As Ajada spoke, both boys looked up from what they were doing. A sad look overtook Marlen’s face, and Josh got up to hug his fellow writer. In her four years of apprenticeship, Ajada had become quite fond of Josh in particular. Mar began to fold a parchment and handed it to Ajada when she and Josh were done giving goodbyes.

“What’s this?” Ajada asked, and was about to open it until Josh stopped her and shook his head.

“Don’t open it until you get on the road! It’s a poem, for you. Good luck, and bring extra paper, for you always run out!” They said farewell one last time, and Ajada left the boys and went to say goodbye to Jaedyn, who had just walked down from the ladder to the attic.

“Halena is going to yell at you when you get down there, so you may as well go and get ink ingredients. Leo has almost run out of blue ink and has no more black. I have to go though!” Ajada informed Jaedyn and the other girl sighed.

Then, Ajada said one more goodbye, to Leo, the man who had taken her in after her father and mother died, and expanded on the things her mother, a well-known Gondorian writer, had taught the girl. He was a kindly, middle-aged man of humbler origins than those of Ajada, and he regretted inwardly the need to send her on the ‘adventure’ of sorts.

Continuing on to the kitchen, Ajada was given a tight hug from Halena’s eight-year old daughter. Halena sent the girl off to do chores and to get Jaedyn and the boys to work, and then the sturdy woman gave Ajada some food for the road.

“Now, Ajada, we paid caravan of Rohirric entertainers a tidy sum to let you ride with them as they return home, since we can’t afford a horse. But once they stop in Edoras you need to walk north to Isengard.” Halena ended as she shooed the girl out the door.

Great. Ajada thought. A trip with old clowns.

~*~

The trip with the clowns and entertainers was not the best way to start off an investigation, but it was not as bad as I thought it'd be. I think I have developed a phobia though.

The words were neatly scrawled into an old notebook Ajada had brought. The clowns were too goofy for the writer's liking, and Ajada was paranoid of someone cutting her hair off after the incident with the mime...

Ajada had continued north towards Isengard after her relieved parting with the Rohirric entertainers. Ajada stopped all too often to write descriptions of her surroundings, and sometimes drawing messy pictures. When she finally reached Orthanc, Ajada encountered three guards.

"It isn't safe to walk alone around these here parts anymore, child. Yer gonna get hurt if you keep wanderin' bout like this." One of the men grunted, lending a sweeping motion of his hand to shoo her away.

"I've permission to be here. The King let my master send someone to document the happenings within Fangorm." Ajada replied, hoping it would do the trick.

"And who'd he decide ter send?" A second guard asked, lifting a hand to shade his eyes, pretending to search the horizon.

"Very funny. Now, let me in," Ajada demanded, and went to push her way by two of the men.

"Sorry, little miss. No one without permission,"

"Did I not just say I had permission to be here from my master and the King?" Ajada came close to yelling at the man, who, at her raised voice and temper, let the girl through. "Oh, and you'd better start using proper Westron, unless you want to go around sounding like a duncical, splathering imbecils for the rest of your illiterate, and undereducated life!"

The men stared at Ajada dumbfoundedly. Ajada rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in despair. "Do I have to use a first form vocabulary in order to properly disseminate with you people? Your lack of erudition amuses me!" Ajada then turned on her heels, and left the men to their job with their jaws dropped. The reporter continued on to explore Orthanc.

[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 04-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Mistress, listen to this!" An exited apprentice came bursting into Anarya´s forge, almost making her drop the knife she had been working on.
"Buck! Don´t you ever do that again, you hear? I almost dropped this!"

He hastily apoligized, then started talking again, his tounge moving faster than even the fastest of the king´s horses could . Anarya let her attetion level drop to the barest minimum. Once again she wondered if it had been a good idea to make a boy this young her newest apprentice. Buck, who´s father was a poor craftman, spent ages telling her about the smallest happenings all aound the town. Suddenly, however, she thought she had heard the words "dissapeared" "swords" "work".

"Buck, what did you you just say?" she asked, tentively.

"I said, another child has dissapeared. And everyone´s sayin´ we should fight back, because the trees have gone to far. And that we should get to work and start makin´ swords and such, because everyone´ll want armour. That´s what I said, and now´ll be off, if you don´t mind, ma´am."

Thoughtfully, Anarya watched him dissapear. He was right, if there was talk about fighting, paople would turn to her. Anarya´s forge "The Red Forge", on the main street of Isengard, was one of the best of the town. For a moment, she thought of the trees´ victims. She knew one of them- Orodeth had been her nephew, only an infant, when he had been taken. Anarya forced her tears back. She needed to concentrate on her work. But while she heated iron for a sword she swore to herself:
"If there´s a way to get those trees under control, I will be part of it. I swear, I will."

[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 04-19-2003, 03:51 AM   #5
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The light dappled the old beech, and the breeze gently blew its leaves. The old tree let out a groan. Anyone watching might have thought it was just the wind bending the branches, but it was the tree itself. There was a feeling of unhappiness and unease about the grove itself. Grudges built up for years and years, anger and bitterness. It was the huge beech that was at the centre of it all, just as his size overawed the smaller trees growing around it. Over the long years of his life he had kept a record of every time he had been burnt, hacked or damaged by a man. There was a vague recollection of better times, perhaps movement, even talking, communicating to the trees and…Ents. The word came to his head from the vestiges of old memory, back in the hazy past. It seemed to be an important word, something that meant something. He often felt this way, like there was a memory, a feeling, just out of reach. But it was all a long time ago. With another groan the tree settled down, but rage festered in his core, deep down.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 04-19-2003, 05:20 AM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The green-and-brown clad elf paced steadily across rock and stream and field, all the while eagerly studying the vast expanse of trees on his right-hand side. He really wanted to go through Fangorn Forest itself, but Songmaster's instructions had been clear, and LinGalad reluctantly circled the fringes of the forest and did not travel or sleep within it. He could not resist peering into the eaves, however, and occasionally stepping close to one of the more majestic, older trees.

He was weary of the open. He had been in the open since he left the very southernmost tip of Mirkwood, now Lasgalen; the RopeMaster had counselled him to avoid Lothlorien in order to make good speed, and he had obediently done so. He promised himself he would visit it on his way back home.

He longed for shady forest depths, and it irked and saddened him that he could not enjoy the ancient trees now passing by on his righthand side. As he marched through the long grass of Rohan around Fangorn, he sang, more to motivate his weary feet than anything else. Sometimes the trees in Fangorn rustled in the wind. Sometimes they rustled without a wind, and then he was glad he had heeded the Songmaster's warning, and not gone into the forest. LinGalad marched on for weary mile after mile, passing barren rocks and (to him) uninteresting hills and grass, and then he crested a large hill that jutted out from the southernmost roots of the Misty Mountains.

In the middle of Nan Curunir rose a glossy black tower, thrust high into the air, dark and forbidding, cold and austere, and ending in sharp horns at the top. LinGalad's heart sank, and he stood for a while, glumly studying the tower and the ring of stone. He cast one more sad glance at the much more interesting forest, gave his weapons and his pack a cursory check and resettled them in place, and with a heavy sigh, turned towards the tower.

As he went he heard a wild, soft and natural music, and his pace quickened steadily til he broke into a joyous run. A river! That improved things greatly. He let the lure of the river draw him well off of his earlier course, and came to its bank with the excuse that his water bottle needed refilling. He topped off the bottle, sorely tempted to bathe in the beautiful river, but he contented himself with washing his face and his hands. The river, he reminded himself, ran down to the ring of stone. At least it could keep him company. LinGalad resignedly turned and followed it, and sooner than he wanted to, he had arrived at Isengard.

[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The sky was overcast and grey as Calentoliel brought her horse into a trot. She was headed for Isengard; her mind had been set on it for weeks now. The elf had hardly rested since she had left the Blue Mountains.

Since she had parted from her sister Rothallë, who had gone West, the Blue Mountains had been Calentoliel's favorite place to rest. The mountains and the forest that sat by it brought back memories; good memories of her friends that she had met and adventured with in that very place a thousand years ago. Save her sister, Calentoliel had not seen one of those friends since then. Faye Took and Olo Gamwich were long dead, but the others- Endereth, Mattius, and Radagast- still dwelled in Middle-earth and Calentoliel hoped one day she would see them again. The elf had grown lonely over the years. In fear that she would stand out too much, she rarely traveled into towns and cities and hardly spoke to anyone, save a friendly hello as she passed another by.

The motive for Calentoliel's travels to Isengard was the vision she had the night before she left the Blue Mountains. She had seen images of her friends; not images of the past, but of the future. She also saw new faces; those whom she did not recognize. Calentoliel wondered what this vision meant; perhaps a new adventure, she thought. Whatever the vision meant, Calentoliel had suddenly felt the urgent need to leave for Isengard. She called a horse, who was called Losthyando, and left the next day.

And now here she was, riding Losthyando, pondering over what the future would bring. Isengard was not far; tiny specks of building began to appear in the distance and Orthanc stood out particularly. Calentoliel was so into her thoughts, gazing out into the distance, she did not see what lay directly in front of her until she was nearly on top of it, her horse stopping suddenly.

What Calentoliel saw horrified her and brought back terrible memories. In front of her lay a human body, mangled to the point where it was unrecognizable. It took a moment for Calentoliel to register what she saw, and when she did, she slid off her horse with ease. The elf bent over the body, which now appeared to be a man, and observed him with curiousity. What had happened to this man? What thing could've possibly done something so gruesome? She had to know the answers.

Gently, Calentoliel placed her hands on the body and began to sing softly. She sang in the ancient tongue she knew, searching for the answers to her questions. The magic flowed from the elf and into the dead body. Images formed in her mind. The images were of fear, pain, and the presence of a hidden shadow. What was this shadow? Calentoliel also searched for this answer, but to know avail. The shadow remained but a shadow, clouded and vague.

Calentoliel stopped singing and relaxed as she felt the energy being drained from her. The man was from Isengard. Perhaps she could find out more about him and whatever had killed him once she arrived there.

Seeing no reason to bring such a mangled body into the city, Calentoliel buried the dead man, and marked his grave.

She mounted Losthyando and once again looked out into the distance. More than ever, she felt the need to continue for Isengard; there seemed to be more reason for it now. The elf looked even further into the distance, seeing a cluster of trees. The Fangorn Forest. Just looking at the forest caused a threat to grow in Calentoliel's mind. She had always feared that place. But now the fear had grown as she could feel the threat of the shadow. Whatever had killed the man had come from the Fangorn Forest. It didn't seem possible; how could the man been killed there and yet his body lay here? But Calentoliel knew it was so as the images of the vague shadow flooded through her.

Looking away, Calentoliel kicked her horse, and they took off in a gallop. Calentoliel would reach Isengard within the hour.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius, Endereth and Radagast walked along the lane and talked much.

They discussed what could be wrong in Fanghorn but as Radagast said more than once. "There could be no knowing until we have done some seeing." Eventually they conversation turned to what they had been doing for ten hundred years a piece. Endereth was particularly interested to know how Radagast and Mattius had remained friends trapped together in each other's company for so long.

Radagast smiled. 'We drift in and out of each others lives my dear. We have often gone our separate ways for a hundred years or more but something or other calls us back to each other. I fear our destiny's will always be linked and now I see you after all this time I presume Calontiel and Rothalle will be crossed upon this road sooner or later."

"Do you really believe so?" Mattius gasped.

"Certainly Firnlord. My wits are a little sharper than when first we met, although my skills still leave a lot to be desired. To be honest I am glad we are headed for Fanghorn. At least in the midst of nature I have some understanding. You, young folk I will never make sense of."

Endereth laughed, "I fear we are no longer young dear Radagast."

"Hmmm. I suppose some might be of that persuasion but you will always be very babes to me. Aha!" The ancient wizard stopped sharply. "Told you my skills were sharper these days. We shall be a considerable company indeed."

Endereth and Mattius stood at his shoulder waiting for further information, just as they had done on many an occasion in their previous time together. Just as it was then, the wizard said no more but began walking down the slope once again, oblivious of their consternation.

"I see his social skills haven't improved," Endereth said quietly to Mattius.

"Only with us. He still excels in conversing with creatures." He replied.

"That may be of great use to us in the great forest," she observed.

"I presume that is one of the reasons why fate brings us all together once more."

Endereth and Mattius quickened their pace to keep step with the wizard as he sang to himself. "Do you think he's right about us meeting Calontiel and Rothalle again?" Endereth asked.

"Is he ever wrong?"

"Frequently," she replied.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius allowed himself a little chuckle under his breath that broke Radagast's line of thought.

"What, me wrong? Well, okay sometimes yes..." he said before returning to his own mind.

The wizard was a particualry quick walker, something that had surprised others but what Mattius had got used to now. He was a couple of paces ahead of the two elves who, despite at times struggling with Radagast's speed, talked together of places they had been and specatcles they had beheld. Under the dwindling trees of Lothlorien Mattius spoke of his wanderings sometimes alone and sometimes with the Brown Wizard through the great woods that were once named Mirkwood, the heights of the Misty Mountains and man-made beauty of Minas Tirith.

"So much has changed in the world of men since the great war with Sauron Endereth. When I lived in the White City all those years ago it was a broken city. When I returned some three hundred years ago I saw its brilliance from miles off. The city is great again. I am also proud to say that I was able to witness a royal marriage there, it was all simply breathtaking."

"I remember Mattius," said Enderth, "when such words were used to describe the woods we now walk through." And a sad look was on the face of the ranger. Mattius offered her a drink of water which Enderth took.

"I understand your pain, but soon we will tread in new woods." Almost as he said this Radagast came to an abrupt stop in front of them. The two elves looked up. The woods had come to an end and in front of the three of them was rolling plains. Over the horizon they knew they would find Fangorn.

"Not far now," said Mattius. Radagast looked skywards, rain was on the way.

"We should make haste," spoke the wizard, "we don't want to be out on the plains in the middle of a thunder storm! Once we get to Isengard I'm sure I will think of something, perhaps there is a council of the people in Orthanc. At any length I am sure we will meet some people there who can give us information." With that Radagast was off, quicker even than his speedy walk. Enderth looked at Mattius who raised his left arm,

"After you dear ranger!"

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 04-27-2003, 04:42 PM   #10
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Kalir urged the horse under him on. He could feel that the horse needed rest. Kalir, too, needed rest, come to think of it. He had been riding hard for a while now, trying to reach Orthanc as soon as he could. The events up until this point were still a blur, from the panic at the disappearance of his father and close friend to the actual discovery of their bodies. It had happened so quickly, and now there he was, farther from home than he had ever been, planning on doing who knows what to avenge the deaths.

Kalir slowed Baragalap to a trot as reached and pulled out the hide in which he kept water. He took a long drink and looked around. He should almost be there.

Urging Baragalap along, Kalir galloped over one last hill, only to rein up in surprise. There before him stood the great black tower. Kalir gaped in amazement. He had heard of buildings of this size, but he had never really believed they existed. Kalir proceeded carefully forward, trotting fairly slowly, taking in the new sights and sounds.

Kalir stopped and asked a villager to direct him to a stable. Kalir rode towards the great tower. Once he reached the stables, he left Baragalap in the youthful hands of a stable boy, but only after he gave the boy a bit of silver. One could not be too sure what another would do, given the opportunity and an available horse.

Who had said that? It was familiar. It was probably something Kalir's father once said. Kalir's thoughts went back to his mother and sister as he walked towards Orthanc. He hoped that all was well back at the farm. He also hoped they would not need Baragalap while he was away.

Kalir saw the guards as he moved towards Orthanc.

"What business do you have?" one guard asked.

"I have come about the recent killings...thought to be the work of huorns," Kalir said, tensing up, worried that he would not be admitted.

One guard sighed, "Well, get in line, then. They are going to discuss that very thing today, actually. You are in luck."

The guard moved aside, letting Kalir in.

Kalir moved through the tower. He followed the voices. He marvelled at the exquisite work around him.

He walked in on a council that was apparently already in session.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #11
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Ajada continued on through Isengard, down the cobbled streets. Perhaps her extreme disappointment in the state of the city showed as she walked down the cobbled lane. Wives and mothers purchased goods in the small market, while the men and boys hung around the inns and pubs that dotted the village. Children ran around every which way, meandering through the crowds in a way only someone their size could.

Where is the action? The excitement? Ajada wondered, thoroughly displeased with the quiet, calm hush about Isengard. There was no uproar of angry citizens, no despair, and no hatred. Nothing was motivating in this town, to Ajada. She sincerely hoped that investigating Fangorn would change that. Otherwise, she would have nothing to report back to Master Leo.

As Ajada strolled along the lane, she decided to take a break and began to look for an inn or perhaps a pub. She had a few coins to spare, and assured herself that a drink for herself was a good reward after her traumatizing experience with the entertainers. Stopping in front of a little pub called The Salty Tear, Ajada smiled and gave the building a satisfied nod of approval. Before she could take a step towards the door of the pub, some weight came knocking into her, sending Ajada flying to the ground.

“What the?” Ajada began, in a loud voice that would have scared anyone not used to it. A girl, not much younger than Ajada, or perhaps the same age, had gone pummeling into the writer after turning a corner in a lighting-fast sprint. The redheaded human held a fruit in her hands, and a guilty expression covered her youthful face. From around the street corner, distant shouting could be heard, disturbing the peace that had originally engulfed all of Isengard.

“THIEF!” Ajada could make out that one word. Her gaze slowly and slyly shifted back to the red head, and Ajada gave the girl her coldest, unsurprised stare. Ajada, always the type to jump to conclusions (and not stop jumping until given proper evidence) immediately assumed the girl was the thief.

“Tell me, thief, what does that say?” Ajada asked the grinning girl, and both women’s gazes turned towards the parchment notices that had been pasted on walls and posts all over Isengard.

ALL thieves or street-dwellers caught will be prosecuted! This is the Law of the King, and no one is immune!

The girl shrugged. “I don’t know, what does it say?”

Ajada feigned shock as the other girl stared blankly at the poster. She...she CAN’T
read!
Ajada raised an eyebrow, and was about to insult the uneducated animal (which she considered everyone who couldn’t read and write) in three different languages, until a nearing voice interrupted her.

“THIEF! FIND THE THIEF!”

“C’mon, don’t just stand there, let’s go!” The thief grabbed Ajada’s hand and dragged her into the pub. Once they were inside, the girl pulled Ajada to the bar, and set the blue-purple fruit on the bar table.

“You got a name?” The thief-child’s dialogue disgusted Ajada, and all the writer could respond with was a lifted brow.

“Ajada. Do you have a name?” Ajada returned the question, speaking slowly as if it would teach the animal how to speak in the correct accent and speech of a proper Gondorian.

“Avery. Now, why don’t we just order a drink or two, then we can slip out without anybody knowing,” Avery continued, and when all she received was a bewildered stare from Ajada, Avery jokingly punched Ajada in the arm. “C’mon now, we’ve got to have all our wits now!”

“Instead of the half-one you’ve got, thief-girl?” Ajada grumbled, and threw her hands in the air. “Honestly…you’re a bloody-minded savage, and I hope whatever is killing people in Fangorn kills you. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had something to do with an assassination attempt on the king!”

Ajada was always making up stories like that. It was the only way to keep the circulation of her imagination flowing. This girl was a little too cheerful for Ajada's liking, especially in the times they lived in. Ajada refused to let this one girl break her long-standing stereotype about thieves, though.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad slowly walked towards the wall that encircled Isengard, and hesitated, thinking that once he went inside and started meeting people, he would probably meet a lot of people at once. He wondered how often elves came this way, and wondered whether he might not be as much of a novelty in Isengard as a man might be in Greenwood. And he wondered whether that might be fun, or just uncomfortable. The more he thought about it, the more uncomfortable it sounded and the more his pace slowed.

But he entered the city anyway, and found that he remained relatively unmolested except for a few odd glances that were sent his way. In fact, he was basically ignored. He wandered the marketplace, and wondered who he should ask about Fangorn forest, and what to do. Finally, he turned towards Orthanc. Perhaps someone there might know.

Sure enough, the guard looked him up and down, and nodded as he gave his name and place of origin. As soon as he mentioned Fangorn, the guard waved him into the stone tower and gestured towards a large room. LinGalad hesitated at the door looking into the large council hoping for a friendly or familiar face, almost wishing he had been refused admittance. He wasn't the only elf there, was he? Fortunately, most of the people there were focused on the speaker and he was able to slip in to the meeting and hide in the back. He took a deep breath and made himself listen to the discussion, hoping all the while that he would find an elf to talk to. The large, dark, forbidding stonework that rose all around him made him feel as if he was somehow inside a tomb of men. He did not like the feeling.

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-28-2003, 05:12 PM   #13
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

“Instead of the half-one you’ve got, thief-girl?” Ajada grumbled, and threw her hands in the air. “Honestly…you’re a bloody-minded savage, and I hope whatever is killing people in Fangorn kills you. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had something to do with an assassination attempt on the king!”

"Listen here," Avery said, becoming more serious, looking this Ajada right in the eye, "I have a name, it's Avery, and you'll do well to use it. Further more, if there had been a assassination plot against your precious king, he would have been dead by now. The only reason anyone saw me take that fruit was because I have a few drinks under my belt already." Avery finished taking a drink, still eyeing Ajada.

"So, what are you anyways, seeing as you're already familiar with mine line of work?" Avery said nochanlantly.

The pub around them was mostly empty, just a few of the dreggs had dropped in for their usual pint. A few hanging lanterns were placed sparsely around the tavern giving the place a smokey glase. The barkeep seemed to know how to keep himself out of other business and served up strong drinks in a oddly quick and efficient manner. There were a few rickey tables and wooden booths along the walls. There were about six stools but only three were unoccupied, seeing as Avery and Ajada were taking up space at two and an old, stubblely drunkard, draining away a pint down at the end of the bar. Avery was used to this and she had been in worse, but Ajada, she seemed to be ill at ease with the surroundings.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:13 PM   #14
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

“Well thie- Avery…I happen to be a very well respected writer and apprentice to the head record keeper and printer in Minas Tirith.” Ajada replied, looking about the pub and discreetly scrawling down descriptions on a piece of scrap parchment. “The only reason I am ‘familiar’ with ‘your line of work’ is because unfortunately there are several illiterate fools like you on the streets who steal things from people I know.”

“If we nick things from them, it’s only ‘cause they aren’t watchin’ themselves!” Avery cried in defense, and ordered another beer.

“I hope you know I’m not paying for that! What is ‘nick’?” Ajada couldn’t help but be appalled at the state of Avery’s grammar, and winced at every incorrect usage of the Westron tongue.

“You silly dictionary-girl! ‘Nick’ means to steal,” Avery rolled her eyes playfully, and Ajada wondered if Avery knew how foolish she sounded. Avery, after a pause, returned to the women’s conversation to answer Ajada. “I know you aren’t paying. That’s why I said we should just sneak away quietly. I’ve done it b’fore. No big thing!”

“What a grand world, when thieves think they can lecture a writer,” Ajada mumbled, and didn’t bother to think whether or not Avery had heard. “However unfortunately, you are what you were made to be. May the Valar save your soul.”

“You need to get over yourself,” Avery informed Ajada, and Ajada glared at the thief. No, Ajada glared at Avery. “Why are you in Isengard?”

“I’m here to report on the happenings in Fangorn. Since there have been so many killings that the King began to send out messages to people to gather and try to help. The man I am apprenticed to, Leo, pestered the King to let him send a reporter to record every step taken.” Ajada replied, not at all worried that this girl would use the information against her. Then realizing that the other patrons may have been listening in, Ajada became a bit paranoid and repeated loudly the phrase she often used, “Or so my sources SAY.”

Ajada noted the stare from Avery and any other person in the pub that had overheard, and smiled innocently. “Do you live in Isengard? Forgive me; do you live on the streets of Isengard? If so, maybe you could help me find the way to where the do-gooders are meeting, as soon as you PAY for your drinks.”
Old 04-29-2003, 04:03 PM   #15
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

They had encamped in a small spinney, occupying the space between several fields. Radagast muttered to himself and a number of wild creatures that had taken refuge with them. He sighed. "Am I forever to be paying for that one error of judgement?" He said to himself as he stood up straight and rubbed his back. A woodpecker flew up into the canopy. He watched it go and felt the heavy droplets of water that fell from the leaves above.

"Well, what news does your friend bring you?" Endereth enquired.

"Much of what we already knew about Fanghorn. Apparently the men who live in the shadow of Isengard believe it to be the work of renegade Hurons. I find it hard to believe such a fanciful tale but the Wood-Knocker thinks there may be more than a grain of truth in it. He is off to Fanghorn and will report back to us soon I trust."

"We will reach the settlement by nightfall I believe," said Mattius gathering cooking items together and kicking over the fire. Neither Endereth not Radagast helped him. Their eyes followed the path of the woodpecker even though it had long been lost to their sight. "Come on you two, I don't intend to do everything myself," he called out but good-naturedly, sensing their troubled minds.

"You are quite correct dear boy. Before the sun sets upon this day we will be in the streets that cling about the Tower."

"What will we do once we're there Radagast?" Endereth asked her old friend.

"We must see if the Council does truely meet at Orthanc. If it does not methinks we shall hold a convocation of our own. We are only a small part of this my child, there are others and whether they come by formal means or accidental ones we must make them welcome. They shall hold the key to all of this as much as we do."

"You're talking in riddles again Radagast," Mattius breathed gently.

"Really? I suppose so. Very little that I say makes sense to me. I grow old and fuzzy my young companions. I shall be relying on you, you know."

"These 'others' of whom you speak. Who are they?" Mattius asked.

Radagast bent down and picked up his own pack. He swung it up onto his shoulder and grinned at his friends. "Don't ask me, I probably won't even recognise them when I'm face to face with them." With that he turned and set off once more, leaping with an energy that did not match his mighty age, over the dry stone wall that encirled the spinny. "Come along you two. Isengard before nightfall!"
Old 04-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #16
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius continued to carefully place the cooking equipment in his pack alone whilst Endereth walked to catch up with Radagast. Rangers and wizards, he thought, the type of people you would want in a spot of trouble but just sometimes they would allow events to overtake them and forget the simple things. Mattius smiled to himself regardless, they were great friends nonetheless.

The three of them walked in single file silently for some hours as the red sun rapidly raced away from the half moon which could be seen vaguely against the darkning sky. Radagast spoke to a rabbit or bird now and again, Endereth wrapped her cloak around her tight and Mattius thought on the wizard's words. Others? Most likely men, or women for the town of Isengard was a habitation of humans. Mattius thought deeper. If the woodpecker's news about the men believing Hourns to be responsible was true then the situation could become extremly dangerous. Men were proud and in some it led to stupidity. He left it at that and picked up his pace so he was in line with Endereth who turned and smiled.

"Even in the gathering gloom of the night I can see the top of Orthanc from here," she said pointing west, "look Mattius, surely you can see it also!"

They both turned and indeed could make out the top of the structure. Only elven eyes would be able to see it, black stone against a grey sky.

"Your eyes must be somewhat sharper than mine friends," laughed Radagast, "but I will trust you. Come, let us make haste and we will get there sooner for I am keen to find what is happening."

With that the three of them began a quick march across the plains. Before them Orthanc loomed.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:40 PM   #17
DayVampyre
Wight

Sting

“Do you live in Isengard? Forgive me; do you live on the streets of Isengard? If so, maybe you could help me find the way to where the do-gooders are meeting, as soon as you PAY for your drinks.”

Live on the streets of Isenguard? Do-Gooders?

Just because Avery was unable to read, she wasn't ignorant. She hadn't learned to read because perhaps she had been a little too occupied with not getting herself killed.

"No, I'm just as much from Isenguard as you are, Madame Scribe. And as for your
do-gooders if that's what you'd prefer to call them, if they are botherin' to meet, I don't know. You also need to lightn' up some...I can always manage to pay for what I drink, as hard as that can be for you to believe." Avery said stopping to take a breath and a sip of her drink.

"So where are you from then? Did they run you out of wherever it was you were?"

"No" Avery lied, but its not like she needed to know that Avery had almost been on the receiving end of a hangman's noose, "It doesn't matter anyways. So you seem to fancy yourself quite intelligent?"

"Quite" Ajada said, surprised at Avery's ability to use word that was more than two syllables. Avery noticed, but didn't say anything about it.

"Well, take a look around the pub, and tell me, Miss Ajada, tell me which one here is has the most money on him at the moment, let's see if all of your book smarts can tell you that?"

At first Avery though that Ajada wouldn't go for it. But she did, probably didn't want to appear less than divinely inspired to a common thief. Of the sparse people scattered amongst the tavern, three seemed to stick out. The drunk at the end of the bar, he was scraggly and was the owner of ripped clothes. A man that seemed to be dressed nicely enough, nothing overtly impressive. And an older man that sat in a booth behind them. His clothes appeared to be finely woven and antiqued. His hair though seemed to be oddly mussed up, a small flaw.

"The old man in the back, that's easy, Although it must have been quite an arduous task for your brain. That means hard."

Avery smiled at Ajada's overly confident statement.

"And you'd have gone home, with no money at all. The oldie's clothes, they're old, very old. He was very wealthy, then somethin' happen'd to him. Who knows what? But not anymore, that's all he's got left. The man dressed in the nice clothes, 'e's the one. See, nice clothes, defintly new, takes care of himself, probl'y has a nice cushy job somewhere. Get out of your books sometime Ajada, Oh and thanks for that handy explaining of that word, hate to go through life without knowing that..."
Old 05-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #18
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

It was dark when the three companions wandered through the gate of Isengard town. The place was bustling enough, despite the happenings in Fanghorn that overshadowed all that happened there. They found themselves jostled in the street and forced to grab at each other's sleves or hands to prevent their separation. Eventually in the angle between two buildings Radagast pulled them together.

"There's quite a flow upon the streets Radagast. Are they all here for the Council?" Mattius asked.

"Indirectly many will be so. For every titled Council member there will be quite a retinue of 'hangers on' you know. Then there are those who live like Magpies, feeding on every scrap that falls their way and steeling that which doesn't."

"Where shall we stay? I can't imagine there's a single room left in the place," said Mattius as an over-laden horse pushed him into Radagast's chest. Endereth and Radagast rocked him back upright. Perhaps in other, less urgent circumstances they may even have laughed.

"If these folk are merely part of other men's households we have nothing to fear. They will be quartered in encampments either outside the town wall or within park about the foundations of Orthanc. The streets may be full but I presume the inns are almost empty." Radagast used his height to his advantage and looked over the heads of passing men. "Let us try that hostelry opposite to begin with." He marched purposefully straight through the flow of traffic to the doorstep of the inn he had indicated. Endereth and Mattius did not find the journey so straightforward and were aggressively jostled for several minutes before they were reunited with him.

Once inside the taproom the noise of the street was left behind them. Radagast's hunch seemed to be correct. The room was empty save for three men spaced about the room and two young women talking intently at the bar. "This will serve us admirably!"
Old 05-06-2003, 05:16 AM   #19
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius looked around the inn; The Salty Tear the sign had read outside before he hustled himself in. A few lanterns hung about the smoky oak room. There were three stools free near to where the two women sat. One of them turned around and Radagast smiled at her, perhaps thinking of the future. The woman frowned and turned back to her companion. The barman walked over to them whilst half cleaning an empty glass.

"What will it be?" He asked.

"Do you have any spare rooms?" Replied Endereth from under her hood.

The barman eyed all three of them slowly up and down. For the most part Endereth's face was hidden from view, Mattius' blond spikes of hair flopped down half over his eyes but he did not hide his face. He had learnt the ways of men and could be mistaken for one. The barman looked at Radagast the longest, who eventually said,

"Well?"

"Yes," the barman finally spoke before beginning to clean his glass again; "a room for three will cost you one piece of silver a night."

He expected the three of them to complain about the price, it was extortionate to say the least but Mattius reached into his inside cloak pocket and tossed him a gold coin.

"Take it out of this and also fetch us three ales and whatever those two want as well," he said pointing to Ajada and Avery who had been (poorly) pretending not to eavesdrop on the three immortals. Enderth gave Mattius a frown. "Perhaps they will know something about the going ons here," he said to her. Radagast grinned widely as the pints arrived and began to sip his down.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #20
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery was pleased to see that some more friendly folk had come into the bar that night, and was still more pleased when another draft of her strong drink came around. They seemed to be a bit mis-matched with their surroundings, but Avery didn't mind.

"Sorry about listening in, its just a bit dead in here tonight." Avery said looking at the man who had already started in on his drink.
"And thanks for the round of drinks!" She said looking up at Mattius.

"Think nothing of it. So, you're from around here then?" He said sitting down on a stool.

Avery took off her coat and pushed some of her red hair out of her eyes "No, just rode in by horse a few hours ago."

"Probably stole that" Ajada muttered under her breath, most likely thinking that Avery hadn't heard, but she had.

"This sad countenace next to me is Ajada, the Great Scribe of Gondor, you've heard of her, no doubt. She has graced the pub with her presence tonight, so enjoy it while you can." Avery said smiling, the mocking sarcasam dripped off her words...
Old 05-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #21
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

"And you are Avery my dear for I at least have heard of you also," Radagast said softly.

Avery rose and backed away from the wizard. "What kind of foolery is this? How do you know my name yer old demon?"

Radagast smiled and supped a little more of his ale. "I have to say I take great offence at being called an old demon my 'fleet-of-hand' friend. I am Radagast the Brown. Sit back down dear child. You have nothing to fear with us."

Avery sat down upon her stool with caution. Out of the corner of her eye she could feel Ajada smiling at her discomfort. Radagast merely continued to drink.

"Caution Radagast, remember how drink got the better of you in Edoras. Bethberry still cleans the contents of your stomach from her floors to this day if I am not mistaken." Mattius whispered.

Endereth said nothing. She watched their new companions and took in every detail of their appearance. Were these two women those that Radagast had mentioned would join with them? She longed for Calentoliel to be with them once more. She was a person she knew and trusted, not these mortal strangers.

[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 05-06-2003, 05:22 PM   #22
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Ajada, however mildly grateful for the free drink offer from a group of strangers, refused to take another ale. But it did not escape the writer that Avery had a fine time with her drink, and the reporter was sure the thief enjoyed the hospitatlity of the newcomers. Ajada was never one to discount the details of anything seen, and scribbled down a few descriptions of the new strangers.

"I see it is a night for the immortal kind, eh?" Ajada mumbled, studying the three companions with careful, intrigued eyes. They said nothing in return, at least nothing to Ajada. Next to the scribe, Avery let out a loud, horrendous belch that led Ajada to wonder if it caused the room to shake.

"Honestly! Avery, you pig! If you must let out such nasty, foul, unseemly, scatologically disgusting noises and smells, do it in a direction opposite of me!" Ajada cried, waving a hand slightly as if to waft away bad air. Avery rolled her eyes, looked Ajada straight in the face, and belched once more. Ajada, always one for dramatics, leapt off her stool in a flourish, and pretended to half-faint in the process. Then the writer got up and sat back on her stool, and eyed Avery with submissive astonishment.

"Sir Radagast...the Brown, is it?" Ajada spoke again, now facing the elderly chap. He nodded, and Ajada nodded back matter-of-factly. Then she turned to his companions, both were startlingly Elvish in appearance, but the man could've easily passed a fool and be thought a human. "Avery and I...well, I have not been graced with the extreme, drastic, extravagant pleasure of knowing what you are called."

"I am called Mattius," the man began, and Ajada ignored his half-mocking tone. "and this wonderfully quiet woman next to me is Endereth."

"I see. And why in Middle-Earth would you be passing through Isengard? I myself have been sent here by atrocious, excruciatingly painful means involving clowns and mimes to help record what some group of ambivalent heroes will do about the current situation in Fangorn," Ajada continued on rambling until she finished her elaboratley sophisticated question.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:40 AM   #23
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Clowns?" Mattius asked with a strange look in his eyes. Ajada nodded back. "They are a strange breed and no mistake," he continued before shaking his head and sipping on his pint. Ajada waited tapping her foot for him to answer her original question.
"Well?" She asked.

Mattius looked up from under his glass and raised an eyebrow but said nothing. It was Endereth who spoke for him.

"We have come to try and investigate the situation regarding Fangorn as you do but the difference is that we are going to try and remedy it."

"Now now," Radagast broke in, we are all friends here Endereth, "or at least the time will come when we will be." He said the last part in only a whisper and Mattius just caught it. "What about you Avery, why do you find yourself in Isengard at such times?" Radagast pushed for her answer that he knew would unite them all on common grounds.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:44 AM   #24
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad listened uneasily as story after story was related. They all followed a pattern: mysterious disappearance followed by gory discovery. He heartily wished he was back in Lasgalen among friendly elves, tying boring knots in a ladder under tall, leafy trees-- nice, friendly, dependable trees that wouldn't eat him or anybody else. He shuddered.

And he had yet to see any elves. Men were all very nice, he supposed, but their customs were rumored to be very odd, he dreaded accidentally offending them, and he desperately didn't want to be the only elf involved in this-- mission? Quest? Problem?

Problem, he nodded. Definitely a problem. How does one convince a tree not to eat people? He grimaced, and glanced at the great stone doorway that had yet to produce a single elf.

He forced himself to listen to the speaker... another grisly story. He shuddered, and wondered when they would adjourn the meeting for a meal, or fresh air, or... blue sky.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #25
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery had gone silent after her little annoyance of Ajada. She had turned back around on her seat holding her head in her hands, massaging her temples. The new drink did not taste quite right. Maybe she had had too many. She had blocked the conversation out until she heard the name.

She turned in her seat to face Radagast, pushing some stubborn hair out of her face and sucked in a breath.

"Well, I was sent here by the court. They wanted me to try and find out why there was violence in the Fanghorn." She said sighing heavily at the end of her sentence. She turned to the barkeep, "A thing of water, when you get the time" she muttered to him as she turned back to Radagast.

"really?" he questioned
"I doubt it, why would the court send an illerate fool like her" Ajada said, and Avery would have knocked her right off the barstool, had she not been so light-headed at the moment. She let it slip

"It wasn't exactly the deal I wanted, but it beats being at the wrong end of a looped rope" She said, rounding on Ajada.

The barkeep slid the glass to Avery and Avery took a drink. The water was a refreshing change and washed down the bitterness of the drink. Avery felt her eyes now to be a bit watery, but she blinked it away and chalked it up to nothing.

"I know, it certainly isn't the most noble reason to be goin', but, its the only reason I got. List'n, the air in here is gettin' to me, don't think I'm not grateful for your company, but I think I'm goin' to have a seat outside for a while. I'm a bit, I dunno, dizzy, I suppose. I should be back in a bit." She said, standing up and giving a nod in Radagast's direction.

Avery headed out the door of the Salty Tear an over to a small forge just across the way. There was a splintery bench, and it being the only one around, Avery had seat. She bent over holding her head, taking in a few deep breaths trying to clear out her head, which had been getting cloudy. Then she sat back, resting her back and head against the stone wall of the forge, head upward looking into the sky. It was calming, the cool breeze played in her hair and Avery had almost drifted into a peaceful sleep when she heard

"Hey, too nice a night to be out alone, mind if I have a seat?"

----
OoC: I threw that in should anybody want to use it, I don't have anyone particular in mind, I hope thats ok
----
Old 05-08-2003, 03:09 PM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad sat down beside the girl, and looked up gratefully at the night sky overhead. The council had not stopped, not for lunch nor dinner and apparently not for mannish bedtime either. But LinGalad had heard enough gory stories, and longed for fresh air. Here, he had it, and apparently something else.

Out of the corner of his eye he studied Avery hesitantly, even as he congratulated himself on the sentence he had just delivered in one of the local mannish dialects. He wasn't sure what "hey" meant, but he had heard it sprinkled around liberally in the marketplace. And he didn't understand why the sentence subjects were so often implied when they could be stated just as easily. But no matter; the mannish girl had apparently understood his intent perfectly well, and sitting down beside her and looking up had saved him from having to compose another one of those awkward mannish sentences.

"I missed the sky while I was... inside. It's too bad that these buildings hide the sky so completely. Forests don't do that."

Avery gave him an odd look. "It didn't go anywhere while you were inside, did it? It's still here. Same old sky."

LinGalad didn't know how to answer, so he gave a slightly awkward smile, and waited.

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #27
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery smiled and turned her head toward his.

"Aren't you a funny character?" She said and her tone was gentle. "Where were you hiding, so that the sky was stolen from your view?"

She was feeling better, apparently the air had done her good. There was a muffled tinking of metal on metal from the forge behind them.

"You're not from around here, are you? What's your name, friend?"

She gave the visitor a glance up and down. The garmets he wore reminded her of trees and vast forests. Even his green eyes seemed to be filled with the greeness of trees. Comprehension of what this man was came to her. Avery was not familiar with his race and had seen precious few elves in her time. She said nothing of his orgin though just studied his form while she waited for his answer

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #28
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Ajada sat making notes and feeling uncomfortable sitting at the table with people who were in all sense and purposes strangers to her. The landlord wandered over and collected the empties. They whispered and she could not make out what they said despite straining her ears.

"Mattius, go and seek Avery. That young lady has a liking for spirits that needs to be watched."

"A bit like your taste for Edoran ale then old friend?" Mattius joked as he rose.

"No, dear boy. This is a serious matter. She must be as clear of mind as she is of heart to continue."

"I think you're mistaken if you think Avery is clear of heart, sir." Ajada snapped peevishly. "There goes someone who is quite the opposite."

Radagast sighed. "You pride yourself on your linguistic skills child. My skills are with nature itself. My friends here joke of my communicating and understanding birds. Stop for a moment Mistress Erudite and think about your friend's name.

Her destiny is with us."

Ajada was rendered silent while she considered what the pompous old man said. Mattius got up to leave as instructed. "If you are so in tune with her Radagast where will I find her."

"Who knows, use your tracking instincts boy!" Radagast made a hurrumph noise and returned to what remained of his pint.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #29
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Tracking instincts..." Mattius mumbled under his breath as he made for the door, "maybe if I didn't spend all my time cleaning up after Endereth and you I would aquire some tracking skills!" He was sure he could hear Endereth laugh as he opened the door to the streets. The ranger's hearing was still second to none then he thought.

On the cobbled streets the movement of people had slown down considerably, the starry night sky resembled a back lit canopy with holes punched in it. Here and there a few street sellers packed up their stalls for the day. Over the road outside a forge sat Avery with an individual clad in greens of the forrest. Mattius made his way over to them.

"Feeling any better?" He asked her. She looked up at him and smiled.

"Yes thanks, the air has helped clear my head." She turned to Lingalad who stood up. "And this is..."

"I am Lingalad and, unless my eyes do decieve me, you are of my kindred are you not?" Lingalad bowed low.

"Indeed I am. I am Mattius Firnlord" Mattius returned the bow. "I can fool men into thinking I am one of them but not one of my own race! I did not think I would see any more elves here in Isengard, I thought there were no more left than those I am aquainted with." A sombre look passed over Lingalad's face at these words.

"There are few, far too few of us left." His spirits picked up though when he thought of what else Mattius had said. "Your aquainteses, none of them happen to be here do they?"

"There is one in the tavern, Endereth the Ranger once of Lothlorien as was I."

Through all this Avery stood in awe, two elves were convercing in front of her as she sat watching. Mattius looked down at her on the splintered bench.

"Avery," he began, "if you feel better then I beg you to take Lingalad inside and introduce him to Radagast, Endereth and the Great Scribe of Gondor. Ask the barkeep for another room or two." He tossed her a silver coin which she put between her teeth and bit down on. "Its real don't worry."

"What about you Firnlord?" Asked Lingalad recognising Mattius' elvish name.

"I must visit this forge before it closes, I have blades in need of sharpning. I will join you all soon."

As Avery and her new friend made their way across the street to the Salty Tear Mattius pushed open the door to the forge to be greeted with a blast of hot air. He approached the front desk and a pale looking woman with a dirty face and braided hair greeted him.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #30
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad gestured to Avery to lead the way back into the tavern. Radagast! He knew there were more than a few tales about him, and he wished he had heard more of them. Had Songmaster known that the Istar would be here?

LinGalad smiled and shot Endereth a glance of sheer relief, and bowed low to her. Even Avery and Ajada saw him visibly relax. Endereth smiled, and raising one eyebrow, bowed slightly. Here, she thought, is an impressionable youngster, nervous, shy, and very out of place. I haven't seen an elf this young in quite a while.

He guessed at her amusement, understood it, and didn't care, so relieved he was to have met the second of the two elves. He briefly met her gaze again, and this time she laughed, and he joined her. She waved him on, and Avery continued the introductions.

"This is Ajada." LinGalad bowed again. "You then are the Great Scribe of Gondor?" He asked, very politely, and was horrified to see her bristle with indignation. Radagast chuckled, Endereth smiled, and Avery burst out laughing. LinGalad stuttered. "I'm sorry, I thought-- Firnlord said--"

"Oh, sure, " Ajada snapped. "I can see that you've all arranged this in advance while you were outside just to make a fool of me! Nice. Very nice!"

"Oh, lady, I assure you I meant no offense, " LinGalad panicked.

Endereth came to his rescue. "Of course not, LinGalad. And now this is Radagast, whom you have perhaps heard of before?"

LinGalad turned towards the esteemed wizard with a crimson blush, wishing he could have made a better impression, and feeling that Radagast must think him stupider than a rabbit.

Radagast eyed him. "Now, then, Lad, what's your business in this city?"

LinGalad turned to look behind him with a puzzled expression.

Radagast snorted.

Endereth said softly, "Lad means young man, or boy. He was talking to you, LinGalad."

"Yes, sir!" LinGalad fumbled again. "I, er, I was sent by the Songmaster of Lasgalen to aid in the problem with the trees of Fangorn Forest, sir."

"Eh. Humph, " Radagast said, stroking his beard. "Heh. Haven't seen him in years. How is the old fellow?"

LinGalad blinked. "The Songmaster is an old fellow?"

"How is he?" snapped Radagast.

"I-- I don't understand."

"Radagast, if the Songmaster is an elf then they don't get sick or old. If he's alive, he's fine, " Endereth said patiently.

"Of course. But how IS he!" Radagast snapped. "Happy or sad!"

"Happy, sir, except that he misses his friends who have left, " LinGalad replied, thinking that now Radagast must imagine he had the intelligence of a mouse, or perhaps a flea.

Radagast ran a hand over his forehead, and then glanced at Endereth and yanked his thumb towards LinGalad. "Ask him what he knows about Fangorn, and then translate it for me, will you?"

Endereth smiled at LinGalad, and winked. LinGalad turned gladly back to her, wishing he was a thousand miles away, or the wizard was, or both... He took refuge in Endereth's elvishness, and told her, "All I learned in the council was that there has been a steady sucession of mysterious disappearances and finding of bodies. They have made few plans, aside frmo a few reckless suggestions to burn down the forest. Some liked that idea, and others replied the wood was needed for other uses. They are trying to understand why the trees are attacking, but they do not know. They have asked where the ents have all gone, and many say that they have gone to sleep deep within the forest."

"That's it?" Radagast snorted.

"I found it rather uninteresting, " LinGalad apologized.

"I'll say, " Radagast muttered, and idly turned to Ajada. "Well, Miss Intrigue, what do you think this council needs to set it moving in a constructive direction?" The question was clearly rhetorical, and he resumed absently stroking his beard, and sank into a thoughtful reverie. She glowered at him, and then at each of the others in turn. LinGalad blushed yet again, but Avery nudged him with her elbow, and Endereth winked at him again, and that helped him to relax just a little.

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:54 PM   #31
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Ajada rolled her eyes at the group, minus one elf, with a look dripping contempt. It was obvious, at least to Ajada, that these people had no respect for things which they did not understand. Avery was a walking, talking ignominy that Ajada simply considered a flagitious anomaly. Radagast seemed excessively sarcastic and a bit impractical and caught up with the nature of things and beings. This LinGalad boy was a little queer, and irritatingly nervous around Radagast...the elf was a little too worried about impressions for Ajada's liking. It hardly mattered though; few people catered to Ajada's liking in the first place.

"Meliorism seems to have been unheard of by this garrulous council if what you say is true, Master LinGalad. Time perhaps will make things better. Even if such is not the case, impatience will not help in this situation. If they want to know what the problem is, but they do not know what the problem is...would it not make sense to go and find out what the problem is?" Ajada spoke up, feeling a stroke of brilliance as she wrote her own quote down.

"Ajada, how dense can you possibly be?" Avery wondered, questioning the sanity of the scribe momentarily. "I think if people wanted to get chopped up by trees they would go out there and find out the problem!"

"If they can't recognize the situation, they won't be able to fix it. Besides, if this were a book, the hero would go despite the certain fear and seemingly certain death." Ajada retorted.

"This isn't a book, Ajada!" Endereth calmly pointed out, and Avery may have felt the sudden urge to slap the scribe, whose ramblings had no apparent end or point.

"Well the way I see it..." Ajada began again, lifting her forefinger to silence Avery for a moment longer. "We have Radagast with us who tells me his...skills...are with nature. And since everyone else seems to extremely enthusiatic about solving this meticulous puzzle, I say you should all give it a go!"

And I hope if Avery goes with you, she doesn't come back! Ajada added silently, as she plastered on a mockingly fake smile towards the thief.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:33 AM   #32
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery ignored Ajada smiling facade. She walked over to a small table close by Radagast and had a seat. He was far more interesting and didn't seem to be so on himself.

While she sipped her water she noticed that LinGalad was standing rather aloofishly close by. She smiled and pushed the chair opposite her out with her foot.

"you might as well have a seat. No use in standing like a statue in the middle of the bar." She said as he sat down. "Sorry about that whole scribe bit. Didn't mean to make you feel silly. Can't say she didn't deserve it though."

"What would make you say that?" LinGalad asked.

"If you stay here long enough, you'll find out for yourself." Avery said, laughing lightly as she finished her sentence. She settled back into her chair "So who's this Songmaster Lasgalen? He sounds interesting."

She asked, and LinGalad seemed to brighten up at the question.

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 05-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #33
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"Lasgalen is the name of the forest. Songmaster is songmaster of the forest. But his name is Celeblin, Silver-song."

"That's a nice name. Silver-song, " Avery replied.

"It is also fitting. I have never heard anyone who can sing like him."

"And he sent you here?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"He heard that there was trouble with the trees deep in the forest, and he convinced the Master Rope-Maker to let me come here."

"So that's who you work for? The Master Rope-Maker?"

"Well, " LinGalad said modestly, "Only during the daytime."

Avery shot him a very puzzled glance, and Ajada smirked, and Endereth glowered at Ajada and said, "Don't jump to conclusions. LinGalad, who do you work for at night?"

"I work for the Songmaster at need. He sends me out whenever someone requests a song that I know. Otherwise, he oversees my studies."

"Don't you ever sleep?" Avery asked.

"Sometimes, " LinGalad replied.

"In other words, " surmised Endereth, "you're not such a bad singer yourself."

LinGalad shot her a grateful look, and a gentle, modest bow. "I am only beginning to learn."

Endereth nodded. "We'll put you through your paces when we get a good chance."

She certainly knows how to put him at ease, Avery thought. "So what do you think of Isengard?"

"Stony, " LinGalad said. "It needs more trees. Do you like it here? And have you always dwelt here?"

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #34
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

"Just for about three hours" Avery laughed, "Though I think, I'll be moving residence soon."

Avery ran a hand through her hair and looked over to the lady elf.

"So, what kind of elf are you?" Avery said slowly and then picking up on an error she may have made, furrowed her brow as her eyes snapped shut "Sorry, I meant, as in, what forest...you are...from?" Avery said looking back up toward Endereth.

"It's just, you know, one doesn't see elves walking all over the place, and I've never been around so many at once."
Old 05-11-2003, 11:44 AM   #35
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Kalir listened to those that remained in the chamber that evening, determined to pick up any information that was known. Various people of every race, or so it seemed to Kalir, came in and out of the chamber. He gazed in awe at the tall beautiful Elves that frequented the room for most of the Council.

Finally, realizing that everyone had begun to repeat the tales he had already heard to the various curious participants in the Council, Kalir quietly slipped out of the room. He had not previously had the courage to speak at the Council, so he figured he would not be missed.

Kalir made his way quietly through the city. He looked for a nearby Inn. He entered a particularly merry looking one, only to be confronted by a fairly large group of Elves and what appeared to be Men and Women. He silently went to the bar, too afraid to speak, and asked for a drink. He turned around and watched the Elves and Men from his place at the bar, wishing one would come and speak to him.

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 05-11-2003, 12:38 PM   #36
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad cleared his throat while Endereth was considering Avery's question. Endereth raised one eyebrow.

"That man," LinGalad gestured with his drink, "is watching us, but trying to act as if he's not."

Endereth shrugged. "So go talk to him."

LinGalad's eyes popped. "Me?"

"You introduced yourself to me, didn't you?" Avery said, bemused.

LinGalad cleared his throat, set his drink down, got out of his chair, and nervously approached the strange man. "Good evening, sir."

Kalir looked puzzled, glanced behind himself, and realised the elf meant him. "Hello. Good evening."

LinGalad stared, not knowing what to say next. Kalir shifted in his seat and stared back. Finally, LinGalad looked back at Endereth, who was laughing, and LinGalad began to laugh too.

"What's so funny?" Kalir snapped, feeling self-conscious.

"My lack of social skills, " LinGalad replied, chuckling. "I've already offended several people without meaning to. I hope I haven't offended you too. What would a man say next?"

"I don't know, " Kalir shrugged. "How about, Join us for a drink?"

LinGalad blinked. "Join you and who else?"

Kalir gave him a blank look. "I meant, if you wanted to know what to say next--"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, of course, you've left the subject out of the sentence again, and I am to understand that it is implied. My mistake. Er, may I ask your name?"

"Kalir."

"And my name is LinGalad. And now, good Kalir, would you care to join me and my newfound companions for a drink?"

"All right, " said Kalir, actually none too sure about this clueless elf, but his curiosity helped him out of his chair. "And how do you know that I am good?"

LinGalad stopped in his tracks, and a look of consternation crossed his face. "Yes, I did forget to ask about that, didn't I?"

Endereth bent double with laughter, and LinGalad smiled, blushed, and laughed. "Well, perhaps if Endereth is laughing, then she is not overly worried about your moral character at the moment. You are good, aren't you? I do hope you are."

Endereth laughed so hard she ran out of air; Avery was half bemused and half stunned. Ajada was busy taking notes, thinking that LinGalad's naivete was a clever method of hiding some sinister plot. And Radagast simply sighed, hoping that it would not take too much time or effort or mentoring for this silly young elf to adjust to the hard, cold and puzzling world of men.

Kalir looked around. "Hello. My name is Kalir..."

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-11-2003, 03:34 PM   #37
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast looked straight across at Mattius his old, tired eyes suddenly bright. The Firnlord thought for a moment it was the ale that made them sparkle but as soon as he saw the smile of old he knew he was not.

"It begins dear boy, it begins."

He then settled back to take in all that went on in the taproom of the Salty Tear.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #38
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Suprised, Anarya looked at the stranger. It was certainly not a common thing to see a stranger in Isengard, and least of all places in her forge!

"Greetings, Sir. Can I help you?" She approached him unsurely. There was something quite... extraordinary around him. He seemed not quite human, and full of light. Maybe he was one of the king´s folks. Or maybe even an elf?

"Greetings" The man said. "I understand you keep the best forge here in town?" Proudly, Anarya nodded. "Good." He didn´t say more. Just "Good." Then he gave her a knowing, challenging look. She felt that he was looking right through her. Like he was expecting her to already know what he was going to tell her. This was getting mysterious, and out of hand. Anarya decided to end it. Buisisnesslike, she put her hands to her sides an looked back at him.

"What do you need? I can make you about anything, but you do have to tell me first." She looked at him, waiting for an answer.

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 05-12-2003, 06:36 AM   #39
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"No no I do not need anything made, I am afraid I don't have the time and I would not think you have the resources," Mattius said. The smith looked angrily at him and Mattius read it. "Sorry I meant no offence but I carry ancient blades of the Elves of Lothlorien."

So he is an elf, thought Anarya.

"So what can I do for you then?" She asked. Mattius drew out his sword Angmarth from behind his head and laid it out on the front desk. It bent slightly and was a beautiful piece of weaponry. The handle was golden with tinted green jewels and the blade itself shone sliver and was as cold as ice.

"This," began Mattius, "is Angmarth, Iron Doom. It has not had a good sharpning for many a century and I was wondering if you would do me the honour." Mattius also took out a couple of Elvish daggers and two Dwarven tomohawk axes. "These also if you would be so kind." And as he spoke he flicked the girl a silver coin.

Anarya took Angmarth in both hands and admired it fully as it shone of its own light in the darkning room. She placed it on the front desk and began walking into the backroom to find the sharpner. As she went out of sight Mattius shouted a question to her.

"Do you know anything of what is happening in Fangorn?"

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 05-12-2003, 10:14 AM   #40
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

"Do you know anything that is happening in Fangorn?"

Anarya heard the question, but for a moment she pretended she hadn´t. She needed to sort her thoughts. Fangorn... so that was his mission. Fangorn- and those trees. Remebering her vow, she suddenly started to get exited. This was her chance to avenge Orodeth. She grabbed the sharper, and reappeared behind the counter.

"I´m sorry, Sir, what did you say?"

He repeated his question. Anarya looked at him. What should she tell him?
"I don´t know more then any other civillian. But-" she added smiling "I, unlike others, know all rumors that have yet circled the town. My apprentice Buck makes sure of that. All I can tell you is that the trees -if they really are trees- are out of control. They take innocent children and grown men alike, and they kill them viciously. They- they must be stopped. That´s what everyone in this town thinks and says."

He eyed her thoughtfully. "And you?" She looked back. Proudly she drew herself up. Please, let my voice not shake. "I agree. Furthermore, if there was a way to stop those trees, I would be proud and glad to be part of that mission. I vowed that to myself the day They took my nephew."

He was still studying her. It seemed to her he was reading her face like a book. Anarya thought she could just barely trace a hint of understanding, and of approval.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]