Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2003, 03:49 PM   #41
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ajada had been fervently taking notes, describing the newcomer to the group. As she wrote down the details, she elaborated almost to the point of unreality.

His name is Kalir. His hair is dusty brown and his eyes are misty grey, like the sea after a storm. Kalir's clothing is simply, though it probably covers the sheaths to swords and daggers. This man is most definitely planning something...a conspiracy! He is in league with the strange elf LinGalad! I knew it! Ajada scrawled down, looking up every now and then at the man and elf.

"And you, sir? You are a denizen of...?" Ajada asked, waiting to get the piece of information from this...Kalir man so she could transfer it onto her parchment.

"Just a little out, near Isengard though," Kalir replied, rather ominously and portentous in Ajada's expert opinion.

"Really?"

"Yes...really."

"Are you certain? You haven't...been smuggled into the country of Gondor by any chance?" Ajada prodded, sensing that this man was hiding something.

"I'm positive. I was born here, raised here, just outside of Isengard." Kalir answered confusedly.

"I see." Ajada murmured. "Denial. It's the only explanation."

"Where has the troublesome Elf friend of yours gone?" Ajada asked Radagast the Brown.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:12 PM   #42
DayVampyre
Wight

DayVampyre has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Avery leaned foward in her chair toward a befuddled Kalir.

"Please excuse this annoying girl, she seems to have a natural detestment of anyone other than the King himself, even then I wouldn't be surprised." Avery said, noticing the piercing glance that Ajada had given her,

"And you can just go about your writings Mistress of the Quill, what business is it of yours to know where the other elf went to?"

"Well, I hope and pray that he went to fetch the City Guard on you, so that we can finally be rid of your ignorance! I think the rope would have been a fitting end to you. " Ajada said.

Avery stood up so fast that she knocked her chair over and she made for Adaja, hands balled into fists and she was ready to pummel Adaja, until LinGalad intercepted Avery, holding her arms and pushing her back. Ajada had fled the stool and braced her hands to the farside of the bar.

"Peace, young Avery! Here is not the place for such mischief!" Said Radagast, still sitting. His voice resonated with command without yelling. Avery still resisted against LinGalad.

"What? Am I to put up with that mouth that she so loosely runs?" Avery said, glaring at the now cowering Adaja.But she finally allowed LinGalad to win the struggle and she sat back down.

"And if you think, for one moment that I will apologise to that...that..."

"woman" Radagast carefully inserted.

"Fine, I won't." Said Avery, folding her arms and leaning back her chair on two legs.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: DayVampyre ]
Old 05-13-2003, 04:45 PM   #43
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The sun was setting when Calentoliel began her walk through the streets of Isengard. She had given Losthyando to a stablehand for the night and wandered off to explore the city before retiring.

Even in the evening, the streets were crowded with all sorts of people. No elves in sight, though. Calentoliel received many stares and felt tempted to draw up her hood, though she did not.

As the day grew short, many of the small businesses were beginning to close, and soon only one remained open. Calentoliel could see that it was a forge and whoever owned it was a fine craftsman. Curious, Calentoliel decided to enter the forge and have a browse.

Calentoliel was examining a long sword when a boy who had not quite reached his manhood approached her.
"Are you lookin' for something?" he asked, politely.
"Oh, no," Calentoliel responded, setting the sword down gingerly. "I was just browsing."
"Oh." Calentoliel could see that the boy was trying not to stare at her Elven features.
"Say, has anything strange occurred here in Isengard lately?" the elf asked. "The city seems unusually crowded."
She hoped this question would lead to an answer for all her questions. Calentoliel wished not to speak of her discovery earlier. Fortunately, the boy seemed quite happy to answer the question.
"Why, haven't you heard?" he said excitedly. "The news has spread all over. There have been disappearances lately; of both men and children. Some men have turned up, their bodies mangled beyond recognition." The boy lowered his voice. "They say it is the trees that are causing all this."
Calentoliel frowned. "The trees? From Fangorn, you mean?"
The boy nodded. "But anyways," he continued. "Many have come all over to find out what's really happenin' and perhaps even fight back."
So that's why Calentoliel must have felt the sudden urge to head for Isengard. She could always sense when something was wrong. Memories of the mangled body she had found earlier flashed through her head as the boy spoke. It grieved the elf deeply to think of what happened to all these victims and she couldn't help but wonder herself what the cause was. But the elf wasn't sure if she was willing enough to go on another quest.
"Are you the owner of this forge?" she asked the boy.
"Oh, no. I'm only the apprentice. She's the forger." He pointed to a woman, who was conversing with another, though she could not see whom.
Calentoliel smiled. It was not often one would find a female forger and the elf liked the fact that they did exist. She believed that female forgers did the job best.

Calentoliel's thoughts were interrupted when she heard a large crash come from behind her. She turned around to find the apprentice had just spoken with franticly picking up tools and other odds and ends he had spilled.
"Buck!" the woman shouted. She had also turned around to see what the boy had done, and was not at all too happy.
With forger's head turned, Calentoliel could now see whom the woman had been conversing with, who was now staring directly at her. Calentoliel stared back in sudden surprise. Though the face was one she had not seen for 1,000 years, it was one she had not forgotten. Calentoliel gave a small smile.
"Mattius," she said, quietly.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #44
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

LinGalad studied Avery, and glanced at Endereth several times, and then at Radagast, who scowled at him. LinGalad sighed, and glanced at Kalir, and back to Avery, and then Ajada, and Avery.

"What?" Avery snapped.

"Well, I don't think that Kalir is very comfortable, and I'm quite certain that I'm not," LinGalad began tentatively.

"If you want comfort, try plugging that flapping mouth," Avery snapped.

Kalir and LinGalad exchanged glances, and Kalir began to laugh. "Well, you did say newfound Companions, and not newfound Friends," Kalir said softly.

"They are very newfound, and I didn't know that they weren't all friends. Perhaps your social skills are further developed than mine, " LinGalad said hopefully.

"Friend? Whowever said she was my friend?" Avery snapped again, and Ajada scribbled madly on her parchment, muttering, "Friend. I should think not. How I got mixed up with such societally tasteless drips and dregs is beyond my appreciation."

Endereth and Radagast took solace in each other's glance wondering what was keeping Mattius. Radagast snorted while Endereth stifled a sigh.

Kalir elbowed LinGalad. "Next time a fistfight breaks out, maybe you should let them settle it between themselves."

"Ah," replied LinGalad seriously.

"That was a joke, " Endereth prompted.

"Ah, " replied LinGalad.

Avery and Ajada glared at each other.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:18 PM   #45
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"So Radagast was right I see," said Mattius making his way over to his old comrade. "He said you would come."

"Radagast!" Exclaimed Calen, "He is here?"

Mattius nodded to her,

"Aye, and Endereth too nonetheless. It is good to see you again!" The two elves embraced each other before drawing back. Mattius breathed in heavily. "I assume you are here for the same reason as we are," he asked her in a whisper. Calen seemed to read his mind and simply nodded. "Then you will find welcome coversation over the road at The Salty Tear then! For there is Radagast and Endereth as well as some new people for you to meet. I will be over there shortly, order me another ale and tell the landlord to put it on my tab will you!" With that Calen smiled, it certainly was Mattius, he seemed so much older and wiser but the enthusiasm still burnt brightly in his icey blue eyes. As Calentoliel made her way across the street Mattius turned to the female blacksmith. She handed him back his weapons which he stored accordingly.

"You just visited me in time," she hinted, "I am about to close up now."

Mattius raised an eyebrow and followed her mind.

"You are welcome to come over to the inn and help us if you would like, I know how it feels to loose a family member to murder. Vengence can drive you further than any other thing." He paused and thought of his dead parents before looking back up at the smith. "I am Mattius Firnlord good smith."

"And I am Anarya," she said simply.

The two of them with the help of Buck closed up the shop and as Buck wandered off home Anarya and Mattius walked across to the inn. Inside they were greeted by their numerous group.

LinGalad was scratching his head whilst conversing with Kalir who seemed to be having to spell out every word to the elf. Radagast talked in whispers with Endereth and Calentoliel whereas Avery and Ajada must have had another confrontation as they sat with arms folded like gargoyle statues, except when Ajada would suddenly write a short sentence on her paper in emphatic fashion.

"A strange group..." said Anarya.

"And people wonder why Rangers enjoy travelling alone." He turned to her, "what will you have to drink?"
Old 05-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #46
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Kalir wondered what Ajada wrote so fervently on the paper that she carried around with her, but he figured it best not to ask. It seemed that all the girl did was come up with conspiracy theories, as she hinted out loud. Anyway, Kalir was much more engrossed with LinGalad. This Elf nearly made Kalir forget his infatuation with the fair kindred through his lack of social ability. LinGalad brought to Kalir a new belief that Elves were just as fallible as Men.

Kalir saw Ajada suddenly look at LinGalad and give a horrible scowl. She did not look away for some time, so Kalir decided to comment on the situation.

"LinGalad, your lover wants a word with you. At least it appears that way," Kalir said, nodding to Ajada.

"Lover? Her? But Ka-" LinGalad began.

"I was making a joke," Kalir quickly broke in. He turned to Ajada, "What shall you write about that, fair one?"

Ajada's scowl deepened and she started scribbling like mad on her paper, muttering undistinguishable words under her breath as her pen scratched away. She wrote so furiously that the tip of her quill broke. Kalir tried to keep from laughing to no avail as he watched her try to find another quill, then set about writing again. She shot him a scowl then went back to her note-taking.

Kalir, still chuckling, turned back to LinGalad. He was beginning to relax a bit in the new company, as he was finding out that they were nearly as quirky as he was, if not more so.

"You could have some great fun playing with that girl's mind," Kalir said, catching his breath after laughing. He raised his voice a bit, just to be sure that Ajada would hear his next comment, "You know what I like about these places? You can pick a new identity. You can be whatever person you want to be. No one knows if you are lying or not."

He looked over at Ajada, who, with a shocked expression, was still scratching away at the paper. She had begun to breathe heavily with this new-found excitement. He looked back at LinGalad, who looked quite confused at Kalir's words.

"You are not who you say you are?" LinGalad asked.

"No, my friend, I am," Kalir said, "But she," he continued, pointing to Ajada, "Does not need to know that. Nor does she want to, it seems. So," Kalir said, turning more serious, "Can you tell me any interesting tales of your homeland?"
Old 05-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #47
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"I'm not very good at telling tales, " LinGalad apologised, modestly.

Kalir blinked. "No?" he said, disappointed.

"He sings them," whispered Endereth to Kalir, and then returned to Calen, Mattius and Radagast's conversation.

Kalir blinked. "Ah. Well, LinGalad, could you sing something for us?"

LinGalad, rather pleased at the turn of events, nodded and considered the tabletop for a moment. "Well, it's hardly news, and it's rather brief, but you might enjoy this, and somehow it seems rather appropriate, although I'm not sure why..." After a sip of his drink, he very softly began the song of the Ents and Entwives.

When Spring unfolds the beechen leaf, and
sap is in the bough;
When light is on the wild-wood stream,
and wind is on the brow;
When stride is long, and breath is deep, and
keen the mountain-air,
Come back to me! Come back to me! and
say my land is fair!...

Although he sang quite softly, the noise around them began to steadily die down, table by table, as folk listened. The song was over after a handful of verses. But when it was done, nobody was arguing anymore, or angry or even tense. Ajada had put her pen down, and was looking rather thoughtful. And Radagast was wearing the beginnings of a smile.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #48
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Anarya leaned against the wall, listening to the Elf´s song. Enchanted she listened to the words, filling the Inn with a distant magic. When he ended, the silence ringed for a moment. Then a man about her age, grey-eyed and tall smiled at the elf.

"Thank you, LinGalad. That was very beautiful."

Another name... Anarya hope she could remember them all. Mattius, Calen, LinGalad... and there had been the one Mattius had spoken of... Radagast She looked around couriusly. A girl in a corner was bent over a piece of paper, scribbeling away madly. Another girl, the same age, was next to her, looking a bit suspicious. Another she-Elf sat next to LinGalad and the man who had spoken first. Suddenly, the woman felt very lost. They all seemed to know each other. Who would even want to tlk to her? But because losing her spirit was a thing Anarya did, she just leaned forward and listened to the conversation.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:02 PM   #49
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad looked around at the now-quiet table, and let the silence linger for another moment before he bowed and softly answered Kalir.

"Thank you, Kalir. The song did not come from Lasgalen, but in a way, it could have. Lasgalen is a quiet place. You might call it sleepy. Little happens, except that we long for those who have left us and moved on. In our way, we also plead, Come back to me. But we sing it sadly, for they will not return to us again from across the sea."

He looked around the faces at the table, and his glance rested on Anarya. "My forest tells few tales in these waning days. But you have scented its distant fragrance, and caught a glimpse of its soul."

Endereth watched. The lad was in his element; no hint of confusion or fear or even of youth was to be seen in him, and she sensed that his heart was far away, and his mind was running through the groves of his home.

Although he spoke to all at the table, LinGalad's eyes still held Anarya's. "And now, who will continue? Who next will tell us all of your own home, and show us its heart and soul?" He waited.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #50
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Although he hadn´t said a name, Anarya was more then sure LinGalad had adressed her. Once more she had he queer feeling she was being read. The woman cleared her throat and spoke.

"I am Anarya. I am from here, from Isengard. I have no songs to sing, nor tales to tell. All I have is this town. This small, bustling town with it´s loud squares and quiet corners. With it´s bittersweet smell, and the sound of walls wispering of older days. For you, hat have travelled wide and far, it may seem small, sleepy or even boring. But to me, it is my home. I´ve never left it, and I never meant to. But now something has aroused my home. And I will have to leave it to defend this beautiful city, that I love as much as few things. This town is inchanted, and if you don´t see it, I must pity you. That´s all I can say."

She smiled, waiting for someone to smile back.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:37 PM   #51
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

"Well, it's about time more locals came to join us." Avery said looking back toward Anarya. "come on closer and have a drink, I'd join you in one, but, if I have one more, I think I'd be liable to collapse" Avery added.

"What about yourself?" Anarya asked, pausing for a minute so that Avery could fill in her name.

"It's Avery. And this is the first time I've ever been out of the city. Can't say that was entirely my decision."

Ajada sitting in her corner was getting ready to spit a bit of venom, but a look from Radagast quickly stopped her.

"However, should we figure out how to stop these attacks, I will be able to go back to the streets of my city." Avery said, taking a drink from the glass of water.

"If you all don't mind, now that I've got my head back on straight, I think I'm going to go for a walk around the neighborhood." She said, rising from her seat and exiting out the door.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #52
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir smiled back at Anarya, not really knowing what else to do. The others encouraged him to tell his story after Avery left, but he was not sure. He had such a simple story, and he had lived such a short time, he did not want to sound petty and naive in comparison to these other travellers.

"Well, I lived a simple life. I am the son of a farmer. His father was a farmer before him, as well and, his father...well, I guess you get the picture. Erm...well, I guess the only excitement was when this business with the deaths began happening. They - uh - they found my brother and father mangled, and I came to see what was...happening."

Kalir's voice cracked a bit at the last sentence, but he hoped that no one noticed. He saw sympathetic smiles, and he felt a few pats on his back. He took a small breath and sat back.

"Does anyone else have an interesting story?" Kalir asked merrily, once more happy to be amongst these friends, and trying to forget his young sister and older mother at home, alone on the farm.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 05-15-2003, 05:31 PM   #53
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"I share an interesting story from a millenia ago but it is a far too long one to tell now I am afriad!" Laughed Mattius as he looked at Radagast, Calentoiel and Endereth. "But in my extremly early years I was adopted and raised as one of the men in Minas Tirith, at the time of the War with Sauron. Since the episode with the Beast of Fear some one thousand years ago in the Blue Mountains I have spent my life in travel, sometimes with old Radagast here to a whole variety of places- and now here I am."

Kalir looked on in wonder at the elf's long life and story of travel to distant lands. Mattius walked over to him and sat by.

"But I envy you," he whispered to the farmer, "a simple life is what I desire, yet I fear it is not my fate."

Kalir cracked a smile and Mattius returned it likewise and patted him on the back.

"I should think if you were a farmer you would grow tired of it after a thousand years Mattius!" He said.

"Aye perhaps I would Kalir but a thousand years of travel has led me to the same conclusion as old Bilbo Baggins himself- it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life!"

"Wise words from the merry hobbit folk," added LinGalad half thinking to himself.

It was now late night and as the moon watched the city of Isengard, The Salty Tear remained open, due to the generousity of its guests. Outside walked Avery and high above all loomed Orthanc, darker than the black sky. The Council was comming to an end and people began walking home, avoiding to look in the direction of the trees. The trees; in the night they looked most threatening of all, a sea of twisted wood and branches. The Council itself had achieved nothing, only poured fuel on the fire of suspicion and fear. The real decisions and actions would come from a group of men, women and immortals drinking in one of the many inns of Isengard.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 AM   #54
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

"I don't know why we don't burn the lot of 'em" Said a large man to his group of companions, "Get rid of those hunks of wood once and for all," The pocket on his cloak was open and the silver coins within temptingly gleamed. Her own pockets were nearly empty and this would be easy enough.

Avery slinked behind the group of four and silently went about her trade.

A few minutes later, the men were going their separate ways and Avery's pocket was now a good deal heavier than before. Smiling like she had just been let in on a really good joke, Avery went back to the tavern. Not quite ready to surrender the night sky of the wooden interior, she sat down on a few wine casks that had been left by the door and being weary fell asleep.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #55
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad sipped carefully at his drink. He was much more relaxed and comfortable in the presence of Mattius, Calentoliel, and Endereth than he had been since he left Lasgalen. They were strangers to him, but still, they were elven strangers, who would correct him and guide him, and he feared his social clumsiness far less with such guidance surrounding him.

He had studied most of his newfound companions as the evening wore on, and now he studied Kalir. When a lull came in the conversation, Kalir could no longer ignore LinGalad's stare, and raised his eyebrows expectantly.

"Kalir, there is much that I don't understand about the world of men," LinGalad began. "I know many songs about sad partings when an elf sails west. And I have learned songs about death in battle. But since I was born, no one has left Lasgalen to sail west; neither has anyone died in battle. So I truly do not know what parting or death is like."

Kalir waited, his stomach sinking.

"Can you please tell me?" LinGalad asked.

Radagast's face remained carefully neutral, and he watched the mortals around the table. Some of the mortals were tempted to get angry; some looked defensive; but all of them expected Endereth to rebuke LinGalad.

They were all surprised when neither Calentoliel, Endereth, nor Mattius rebuked him. Mattius laid a hand on Kalir's shoulder, and Endereth sighed a little; but after several moments, all four elves were turned to face Kalir.

"Kalir, if you could tell us about your loss, we would be grateful," said Endereth gently and carefully.

Kalir studied their faces, and wondered whether he was willing, and where to begin.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:55 PM   #56
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir took a breath and looked at all the deathless beings, wondering to himself what it must be like to not know personal death. He also wondered what the Elves of old had thought in the time when there had been a great many deaths of mortals near to them. Imagine knowing so many generations pass away before you.

Kalir looked up, trying to figure out how to phrase the loss of death for the crew watching him.

"What I believe," he began, "is that - wait. First you must realize that I do not speak for my whole race."

The others nodded and he went on, "Well, death is like...what is a good analogy? Death is like an eternal sleep, I suppose. It can either be a peaceful sleep or a dreadful nightmare, from which you can never awake. You never know what it's going to be like, so you should not go searching for it. Does that explain it better?"

"But what does it feel like to have one close to you die?" LinGalad asked.

"It feels...like losing part of your heart," Kalir said, "I cannot describe it in any stronger fashion."

He lapsed helplessly into silence, wondering if they understood. When he looked up, he saw that even the little busybody had stopped her writing and was considering what he said for a second, trying to figure out what it would feel like. They all looked sorrowfully down, and Kalir had to smile to himself.

I suppose they now understand, he thought to himself.

When they looked back up, Kalir continued, "Now you must tell me of what it is like to live for so many ages and see so many passings of seasons."
Old 05-18-2003, 04:49 PM   #57
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Anarya studied the man with respect. She would have never thought someone could discribe the feeling of death so well. Her heart recalled the feeling she had had at her father´s death. This helplessness, this feeling of being utterly alone, this void inside her- it had never quite left her, but she had learned to get along with it. Kalir had spoken well of it as "losing part of your heart".

She looked around, studying the beautiful, mature, yet not old faces of the Eldar. If they do not know what death is, do they truly cherish life? She suddenly wondered. Could they understand the gift of life, if they weren´t familiar with it´s fading away? Anarya had seen many people being born -her youngest sister, two of her nieces, Orodeth, Buck´s baby brother- and she had seen people die. Maybe she had an experience these learned men and women that had seen so much hadn´t. She had seen life being given, and she had seen it being taken away. Anarya suddenly remembered something her mother had always told her when she was small: Life is too short not to live it.

"If I may add a question," she said out loud, turning to the elves. "What keeps you going today and tomorrow if you know you may well be here for the next century?"

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 05-18-2003, 05:38 PM   #58
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

LinGalad studied the older elves one by one as they considered the question. Kalir watched LinGalad long enough to realise that LinGalad didn't know the answer to that question, either; in elvish terms, he was too young.

For a moment, Kalir felt more confortable around LinGalad than he had yet. Their eyes met briefly, and they waited together for the wisdom of the elders.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #59
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius opened his mouth to answer the questions given to him by the mortals but the loud cough of the landlord stopped him.

"Well I would tell you," said the elf, "but it seems we are keeping people up- perhaps in the morning we will discuss such matters, after we have discussed Fangorn of course."

"Yes," said Radagast speaking for the first time in a while, "we must not forget why we are here."

"We have rented a room out, we will pay for more of you to stay if you so wish," said Enderth.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #60
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir looked at Endereth, perking up at the suggestion. He realized that he had not put much thought into where he would stay. Kalir sighed inwardly, realizing how inexperienced he was in the large world outside of his farm.

"I would greatly appreciate taking up that offer," he said, "I feel guilty about forcing you to pay for my room, though."

"Do not worry," Endereth said, "We have money to pay."

Kalir smiled, "I thank you. I promise you that, when I have the resources, I shall find a way to pay you back."

Once Kalir entered his room, he put his pack on the bed and looked around the room. It was not a very large room, but it was clean and comfortable, at least.

Kalir pushed the clothing and other supplies off the bed and just climbed in, without changing or preparing for bed, and was asleep within a matter of seconds.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #61
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Slowly Anarya walked home. The night air was cool and and cresent, and she didn´t feel tired. Reluctant to return to her forge, she went on a stroll through Isengard. The whole city seemed asleep, dreaming. Anarya stepped on to one of the little towers of guard. A fresh wind, blowing from the east pushed her hair out of her face. It seemed to carry the smell of the wood with it, the dark, brooding, vivid smell of Fangorn Forest. Anarya took a deep breath. Deeply inhaling the woody smell, she stood there for another moment. She then silently and swiftly walked home, and went to bed. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

In her dream, it seemed to her she was standing behind a grove of beech trees. Behind her, she heard familiar voices. One of them was Buck, babbeling along happily. Suddenly he was before her eyes and seemed to shrink, and was an infants size. And he held on to her knee and said "I´m only food, food for the trees. Only food, Mistress! Only food!" The miniature- Buck started laughing and laughing, shaking himself. Anarya tried to frab him, to shake him, but she couldn´t grasp him. He seemed like thin air...

Anarya woke up. She was sweatty and panting. She rolled on the other side of her bed and when she fell asleep again, she had already forgotten that dream.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:02 PM   #62
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

As Ajada was ushered towards an empty room in the inn, the investigative reporter scribbled down every little detail she saw. The tubby man who led her to the dusty wooden room, the fraying carpet of mix-matched colors, the bed Ajada was too scared to sleep in due to the thought of when the last time the sheets were washed.

Ajada walked silently into the room, and the tubby man slammed the door behind her. Wary of the dirty bed, Ajada merely plopped down on the ground to write. Every day she tried to make a survey of sorts, summarizing all she had done and everyone she had seen.

Day One Of Investigation for Leo

Traveled to Isengard with a motley band of mimes and Rohirric entertainers, who were extremely quiet and yet...outgoing. I think one of the mimes liked my hair.

Was run over by an obscene, vulgar, ribald, improper little...thief. Then I visited an inn, called the Salty Tear. There I became more aware of the illiterate, filthy, foul, indecorous, disgusting, loathsome, repulsive, repugnant scumbag that was the thief. I think her name was Avery, but I prefer to address that particular riffraff by her...profession. She is a thief, and a horribly gruesome one at that.

I met at the Salty Tear next two elves and a wizard. A quiet elf named Endereth accompanied a talkative elf who could pass for a man, who was called Mattius. The Istari who traveled with them was called Radagast the Brown, and perhaps he did not mean to be so excessively chime in on the fights between the thief and me, but he did seem as though he tried to be a peacekeeper of sorts.

Then I ran into another elf. This one was quite young, at least in the standards of elves, apparently. He is most definitely hiding a plot to take over all of Middle-Earth, but I highly doubt any of the other beings today would be able to comprehend such seemingly unreasonable and foolhardy accusations.

I met a farmer, who is unambiguously in cahoots with the Elf. I will not fall for his game, playing the innocent farmer boy. I'm on to him and his evil plans to thwart the society of Gondor as it stands today. His legion of dark minions and his league with the Elf will not stand for long!

There may have been other people I met this night, but they are most definitely unimportant at this point.

This report was brought to you by Ajada.

Ajada folded the parchment she had hastily written down, and nodded vigorously to herself. Nothing got past her...nothing. A satisfied Ajada went to sleep uncomfortably in a quaint little rocking chair instead of the bed that had been provided in her room.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #63
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Calentoliel eagerly took up the opportunity to share a room with Endereth that night. Both spoke in quiet, excited voices, catching up with each other on what they had missed in the past 1,000 years. Neither of them were willing to sleep.
"Where is Rothalle?" Ender suddenly asked, changing the subject of their conversation. "Why is she not with you?"
Calentoliel sighed. "Rothalle made a decision that I could not stop her from doing," she responded softly. "She has passed west with the other elves. Only ten years has my sister been gone and I still miss her greatly."
"I'm sorry, Calen," the other elf consoled. "I know you love Rothalle very much and it must have been difficult to see her go. But at least you will see her again someday."
Calentoliel nodded. "I suppose." Feeling sadness sweep over her, the elf made an attempt to change the subject. "Right now, my mind is focused on the happenings in Fangorn," she stated. "I do not know much about these troubles, but I cannot stop thinking about them."
"Aye," Ender nodded in agreement. "I have been the same. That is why I have decided to help try to solve this problem. Will you do the same?"
Calentoliel shook her head. "I do not know, yet," she said. "I have been quite content these past 1,000 years on avoiding danger rather than walking into it. I nearly died in the Blue Mountains. You should know I've never had the spirit of a warrior. But then again, knowing that men and children are being killed by the day breaks my heart. I feel that I must help."
Endereth nodded, understanding. "I do hope you come along with us, though. You may end up being quite useful to us. And, I would enjoy your company." The ranger smiled.
Calentoliel returned the smile. "I know you are thinking of my songs, Ender," she said. "I really do hate to use my magic often, but if it's necessary.... I will think on my descision tomorrow."

But as she went to sleep, Calentoliel knew she already made her decision.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:55 AM   #64
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Brethil turned about and swayed slowly in the wind. The great huorn watched from afar as a distant caravan turned off and slowly wound its way along the single rutted track. He suspected it was the same visitors who had come to them before, speaking silken words of assurance and friendship, or so it had seemed to Brethil and his younger kin.

The trees stepped back, bowing their leafy crowns down towards the ground, and leaving a clear path for the wagon and the men on horseback to wind their way ever deeper into the woods. Brethil looked and waited for the men to draw closer to him and share more secrets, as they had done several times before.

Through the whispering sighs of the wind, Brethil could hear a tune ring forth, accompanied by a simple harp:

All who love the Ents draw near,
For something wonderous you may hear,
Entwives soon will rule the wood,
If the Huorn do what they should.
So listen closely to this song,
That we may right an ancient wrong.

Brethil stood and waited for the man with the harp to approach.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:12 AM   #65
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Radagast and Mattius walked the corridor of the upper level together. They saw Endereth and Calentoliel talk together before retiring.

"It has been a long time since I was among so many good people Firnlord," said Radagast turning to the elf, "almost a thousand years!"

Mattius smiled at the bent man, his ancient age visable only fully in his eyes. The elf began to speak but was cut off when Radagast winced in pain and tightly closed his eyes.

"What is it Radagast?" Said Mattius getting ready to catch the wizard should he fall over. Eventually he opened his eyes and relaxed.

"I fear something terrible is happening in Fangorn Firnlord, and even further afield," he said.

"This goes outside Fangorn Forrest?" Asked the ever inquistive elf, always battling with Radagast's riddles.

"Nothing is certain, time will tell us Firnlord."

Mattius' face softened and he placed a hand on Radagast's shoulder.

"Clichés roll of your tongue as consitently as usual old friend!" The elf laughed before opening Radagast's door and wishing him goodnight.

"Be ready early Firnlord, we will meet in the common room to discuss matters." Radagast squeezed in before the elf closed his door. The youth of today, always rushing about. He rubbed his head, the pain had gone from earlier but he could clearly remember it.

Mattius saw the bed in the corner of his room and crashed onto it with a satisfying sigh. It was not the greatest matteress and frame ever but it beat the cold plains of Rohan.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:31 PM   #66
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Day broke over the village and the sky seemed to hold a dusky glow. Slowly but surely the village woke up to a new day. The small side shops and groceries opened, and mothers with tiny children in tow began to barter back and forth with wry store vendors. And to this Avery awoke, having spent the night outside. She got up to her feet surprisingly refreshed. She stretched out her limbs and the usual bones cracked. The tavern windows behind her were dark as she looked in, then she noticed her reflection in it. She frowned at the messy ponytail and fixed it more tightly back. The rain barrel beside her was about half full with clean water and Avery reached her hand down and splashed the cool water across her face and then patted it dry with her sleeve.

Avery paced around for a little bit, trying to wake herself up a little more. Her hand seemed to be straying more and more toward her sword. It been a while since the tired blade had be freed from its sheath. She drew it out and worked her way through a few little paces that she had made up on her own and a few that she had borrowed from others that she had seen.

"Keep swinging that piece of rust and you'll put your own doltish eye out!" A voice came from behind Avery. She lowered her sword and whirled around to see who it had been. But as soon as she saw who it was, she wished that she had kept it raised.

"Oh, its only you, sleep well scribe?" Avery asked

"Better than you did,thief, what were you doing anyway?" Ajada said walking over.

"Just practicing, and this is no bit of rust, it's very old and I've taken the best care of it so mind your mouth."

"So, if you can fight with a sword, I assume that it is a simple enough skill."

"Ha," It was an indignant 'ha', "I fear that you are very wrong in that, Scribe. Here," Avery said, taking out her smaller shorter sword, "But, I can be sure that you won't believe me so," She handed the sword to Ajada who gripped at it awkwardly, "It's not going to bite your hand you know, here now just wrap your hand around like this, look...see my hand?"

It was very plain that Ajada had never touched a sword before and seemed to persistantly want to hold it like a quill.
"No, no don't swing it like that, you'll wind up slicing you ankles!"
Slowly Avery was able to get Ajada to master a lunge move that was of her own creation, but that was by no means easy. Then a little defense,
"Wait, see here now, hold yourself so that only your side faces your enemy, you keep trying this full frontal thing, and all you'll wind up being is a pink pinchusion, alright?"

But Ajada was no dim ember, she picked things up after a little repetition. And soon they broke for a water break.

"Well, Scribe, still feel the same as you did earlier about the ease of using a sword?"

"Well, it's pleasant to know that occasionally you speak truthfully." Ajada said. Avery laughed.

"You know, now that you have a sword you're going to need something to keep it in."

"What do you mean? I don't have a sword. This is yours"

"I can always pick up another," Avery said standing up, Ajada followed suit, "here, stand still for a minute," Avery took the sheath from her belt and fixed it on to Ajada's belt. "There, it shouldn't come off since its been fixed there properly. Come on lets see if you still remember anything."

Avery redrew her sword and Ajada stood ready, clutching the sword's handle as if her life depended on it. Avery took it slowly and Ajada was able to block away most of Avery's moves. Avery increased the speed of her attacks, calling out encouragement to an increasily frustrated Ajada. Then her sword arm dropped and Avery fell to a knee. Ajada pulled back and sheathed the sword. Avery breathed in quite hard, she had dropped her sword by her side and held her forehead in her hand. Her vision seemed to be a bit blurred.

"Avery?"

She sucked in another painfully bought breath and then it went away, as if released from a spell, it cleared up and nothing remained to ail her.

"Avery?" she heard Ajada call her again and she stood up.

"I'm fine, I must have just caught a bad breath, I'm fine, I could do with a bit of water though," Avery said picking her sword back up and putting it into her sheath.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:43 PM   #67
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Kalir arose and quietly and made his way downstairs. He had a quiet breakfast alone then decided to wander around a bit.

"I'm fine, I must have just caught a bad breath, I'm fine, I could do with a bit of water though," Avery said as he came upon Avery and Ajada.

"Is everything all right?" Kalir said as he approached. Ajada looked suspiciously at his sudden arrival, and Kalir gave her an even stare right back. "This trouble-maker is not attacking you is she?"

Ajada gave a startled gasp of indignation at Kalir's accusation. "I am not a trouble-maker," she said under her breath.

Kalir nodded, mocking disbelief at her statement. He turned to Avery. "You are all right, though, yes?"

"Of course," she nodded. Kalir could not tell whether she was feigning assuredness or not, but he did not press her. He looked around, but did not see any of the others anywhere. He guessed they had not arisen.

"May I travel with you today?" Kalir said, "For I do not know the city well at all."

"All right," Avery said, "But let us now go and await the arising of the others."

Kalir nodded and they silently went back inside. Once inside, Kalir treated himself to another breakfast. He was not used to such amounts of food at his disposal at home, so he decided to treat himself whilst he was not at home, at least for that day. He sat eating, chatting with Avery and sometimes Ajada, and awaiting for the others to arrive.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #68
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

When Kalir followed the two girls back into the inn and seats were taken, Ajada was fully able to consider what had happened outside with Avery. Ajada nearly hyperventilated at the thought of her and Avery even having some sort of mutual respect for each other. Calm down, this doesn’t mean you’re her friend, Ajada reassured herself.

Kalir spoke heartily to Avery as the three waited for others to wake up, and hardly a word was said to Ajada. She had taken to staring out into…nothing, and apparently nobody wanted to bother her. However, when Ajada did return to reality, she lent a hard, cold look towards Kalir. He was the one Ajada most suspected of being LinGalad’s evil farming minion in taking over Middle-Earth.

“If you have had any illegal liaisons or questionable contacts in the past, I'm warning you now that I will terminate our acquaintance once they come to light,” Ajada suddenly informed Kalir, who stared back at her, stunned.

“Alright then. That’s…nice.” Kalir said, and returned to his food and his little chat with Avery. Suddenly, it dawned on Ajada that the thief, Elf, and farmer might be in one big group readying themselves to overthrow the Free Peoples of Middle-Earth! Ajada stood, gasped, pointed at Kalir and Ajada, and opened her mouth to speak.

“I should have known! You’re in on their sinister plan as well, aren’t you Avery? Well, I won’t fall for it any longer! You plot treason towards not only the society of Gondor, but you have aligned yourself with such barbaric miscreants as Kalir and LinGalad! You have become one of their lowly sycophants! I hope when one of the high authorities discovers you, you…you…well I’m not sure what I hope happens to you but I hope it is bad!” Ajada finished her accusation with a stammer. She’d make a good lawyer. When she noticed the stares being given to her, she blushed. “Well then, I think I’ll go and wake up our lazy friends.”

Ajada rushed out of the inn’s common room and ran quickly and nimbly up the stairs. Coming to the door that she remembered from the night before as Mattius and Radagast's, she knocked on the door harshly.

"Wake up you lazy, lackadaisical, languid featherbrains!" Ajada cried loudly, continuing her loud banging of the door. She heard something hit the door from the other side with a muffled thump, and Ajada, assuming it was a pillow or something to that extent, cheerfully moved on to the next door.

Ajada continued on down the hallway. She rapped on every door and called out rude names, all variants of the ones used on Mattius and Radagast, whether the room held one of her company or not. Everyone in this inn should be up now anyway, Ajada reasoned.

When she was done waking the whole inn, she skipped back downstairs and sat next to Kalir.

"They'll be down shortly," she assured Kalir and Avery.

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 05-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #69
DayVampyre
Wight

Sting

Kalir turned to Avery,

"Is she always this looney?" he asked

Avery, in the middle of drinking her water, looked at him from around her glass, shrugged her shoulders and made a sound that communicated the basic message "I don't know." Then having finished off her water, put her glass on the table.

"If she keeps it up though, she libel to be left off in the woods!" Avery said.

Kalir laughed, and Ajada believed the statement only to be a furtherment of her point.

"Are you goin' to eat any breakfast at all Ajada? I mean, what with all of our decietfullness that you're goin' teh have to see through, your goin' to need all the energy you can get." Avery said.

"I don't see you ordering any nourishment at the moment." Ajada said.

"No, like I said outside, I just wanted a bit of water." Avery said back.

"What were you two doing anyway?" Kalir asked

"The Master Scribe, here, had never used a sword before, and if we're to go into a dangerous forest, I don't think that her stabbing at trees with her quill will save her from much if anything."
Old 05-28-2003, 07:33 AM   #70
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

It was morning. Anarya was woken by the cries of the ravens outside her window. She rolled out of bed, blinking and squinting in the light. She dressed in a usual day gown, and then, fom her closet grabbed her sword. Carefully, almost gently she hilted it at her side, and proudly drew herself up. The other travellers had better respect her! She walked down into thhe forge and called Buck, already there, to her.

"I´ll be gone for the day." And for the next few weeks!she added silently. "Can you tell the others to work off the orders in the red book first?" He noddded, looking important. She left her forge and crossed the street.

Anarya entered the Inn. She turned around a corner and walked right onto Avery and Ajada, squabbeling as per usual. Kalir was standing by them, looking very amused.

"Hello," the smith smiled at him. He looked at her.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 05-28-2003, 10:23 AM   #71
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Empty handed and damp-haired, LinGalad strode happily through the gate of Isengard and turned towards the Inn and his friends.

The previous night as people dispersed to their rooms, he had put his things in his room. But he had no desire to sleep. Restless, he had wandered back outside under the stars, out of the city and up the river, and gone for a swim. Refreshed and relaxed, he had been tempted to linger there, but he lectured himself about responsibility and duty, and turned back down the hill and returned to the city.

LinGalad approached the Inn surprised at his own eagerness. He was looking forward to seeing his new friends again. These people were odd, but they were... well, friends. He liked them. Even Ajada, although he was far from understanding her, and he didn't exactly want to be alone with her if he could possibly help it. But they were all very interesting. He was happy around Kalir, and interested in the other men-folk, and he liked the elves, and... well, he was fairly comfortable around everyone but Ajada and the intimidating wizard.

As he entered the Inn, he was glad to see Kalir, Avery, Ajada, and Anarya. There was no sense of peace or harmony between them, and LinGalad hesitated; but there was no outright hostility either, and he approached carefully, glancing from eye to eye.

Kalir grinned at him. "Hi, Laddie-Boy."

Ajada scowled suspiciously at LinGalad. Out all night, eh? Off conniving and plotting about his outrageous, insidious scheme to subjugate Middle-Earth. I'd better not take my eyes off of him. Except that I also have to watch Kalir. And now Avery. Rats! She suspiciously muttered, "Hello."

Avery glared at Ajada, and then said, "Good morning, LinGalad, how are you today?"

Anarya shot Ajada a puzzled glance and then met LinGalad's eyes. "Hello, LinGalad."

"Good morning, and hello," he replied, veering slightly away from Ajada and towards Kalir. "I am fine, thank you. Are we training this morning?" he said with a mix of eagerness and reluctance. "I could use the practice, although I hesitate to display my lack of skill."

He uses his false modesty to camoflage his insidious and evil activities, Ajada reminded herself.

Kalir laughed. "Looks like you just got clean. Are you sure you want to exercise now?"

"Oh, I don't mind swimming several times in one day, " LinGalad replied hastily. "I'll go fetch my blade, if this is practice-time." He looked around, waiting for an answer.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-28-2003, 12:05 PM   #72
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

"Go and get your sword then my good Elf, it would be nice to practice against someone compitant for a change." Avery said, standing up and rested her hand on her sword.

LinGalad smiled but then Ajada interjected,

"Yes, well good for you, I hope you don't fall on your sword." Avery ignored the remark and went outside. LinGalad came out a few moments later along with Kalir, Ajada, and Anarya.

Avery drew her blade as did LinGalad. Avery had no idea what she was getting herself into, although she didn't realise it at the time. Even if LinGalad was not skilled, he was still an Elf. Avery had never sparred off against an elf and didn't know any of the techniques that they used.

Thier blades clanged together and Avery put forth a good effort, but LinGalad was the one who had the upper hand. By the middle of the fight, Avery was exhausted. She dodged behind crates and leapt over the rocks, but LinGalad always seemed to be a step ahead of her.

Finally she called it off.

"That's...it...you...win." She said in between breaths looking up at LinGalad from the ground.

He smiled and gave her a hand up.

"He's pretty good, oh, Ajada why don't you show off your great skills?" Avery said, not meaning it to start an arguement, but more of a joke.

Ajada was not amused.

"I think you should give that elf a try, shame not to use that sword you've got there" Avery said addressing Anarya. "although he may put a few unwanted nics into it." Avery finished sitting down on a nearby box. "LinGalad, I think you're going to have to teach me some of your skills if you want me to practice with you again and be anything of a challenge."

"Oh, don't think this little demonstration of yours has thrown me off any!" Ajada burst, apparently unable to contain herself anymore. "I don't quite completely understand your motives yet!" she was clearly going to carry on, when Avery quickly said,

"The reason why you don't understand us is because we're talkin' in English, and you're listinin' in Dingbat!"
Old 05-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #73
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Okay okay that will do for now!" Jeered Radagast as he made his way outside to where the group stood. Mattius slowly walked behind him with his dark cloak wrapped all about him. He was focused, Radagast had told him to be so, for now he was over a thousand years old people would look to him for help and guidence.

"Have you all eaten well?" Asked Endereth as she walked out of the door followed by Calentoliel. Everyone nodded except for Ajada.

"I do not feel the need to eat at present, perhaps later I will pick up a..."

"Go and quickly grab something to eat Ajada," cut in Mattius calmly, "it could be the last decent meal you have for some time."

"Whatever do you mean by for some time?" Asked the bemused scribe.

"Well if we decide to spend at least a night in Fangorn you will need to have your energy levels up."

Ajada looked about at the people around her, LinGalad seemed to be pleased at the words of his fellow elf. Avery did not seem to mind either. The others kept straight faces.

"Fine!" The scribe grumpily as she made her way inside. She scrambled some toast and fruit into her pockets and as the group made their way towards Fangorn she ate her breakfast.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #74
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The singing ceased as abruptly as it had begun, with the caravan grinding to a halt just a short distance from where Brethil stood. Two figures emerged from the rear of the wagon and strode purposefully towards the giant beech.

The smaller of the two, a woman of middling years and striking appearance, with black curls cascading down the middle of her back, wore an intricately embroidered gown that seemed more sutable for a king's palace or hall than the depths of Fangorn Forest. She still carried the jeweled harp, now slung gently over her shoulder, and a long veil and cloak that was half draped about her frame. Her companion, a tall warrior with straight black hair and grim visage, had a scabbard strapped about his waist with a curved blade of fine workmanship.

Both the pair had soft brown skin, but it was the woman whose sparkling black eyes revealed an air of cold calculation and superiority. The two had stopped by the edge of the grove to exchange a few hurried confidences. Leaning down towards his smaller companion, the man earnestly intoned "Prophetess Saelonia, do you think it wise to approach them so soon?"

The woman drew herself up to her full height and scowled, pulling the cloak hastily about her shoulders. "So soon? So soon, you blithering idiot? Did you not read the missive that the Khan has sent to us? He already begins to gather an army of warriors such as has not been seen since the time of the Eye. In a short time, we will be ready to strike at Gondor to demand our fair share of the wealth they now withold from us. And they will bow their knee to the Shadow, just as we have done."

"But none of this is possible, unless we have allies. And these huorn, though dim of wit, are capable of doing great damage."

"They will hit hard at Isengard and the West, and keep the eyes of Gondor's King turned away from the East from which the real danger will eventually rise. Without the brute strength of the huorn, we will never succeed in our plan. Are we not descendents of the mighty Easterlings who stood firm in the ranks of Lord Sauron? Do not ask if we act too soon! Instead ask why we have suffered so long and have not acted before now."

With this, Saelonia turned and quickly paced up the path that led to where the huorn stood waiting.

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #75
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

As the little band made its way out of the city, out into the green fields and toward the forest, LinGalad's spirits steadily rose. This was teh best of both worlds-- he had his new friends with him, and they were out of the stony hard places, and heading for trees. He hummed happily. Endereth, sensing his relief, shared a smile with Mattias. It would be good, she thought, to have one more member who is at home among the trees; so few of the men-folk were. The elves were a little worried about them.

"What are you so happy about?" Kalir muttered at LinGalad.

"For one thing, " LinGalad replied, "I'm glad to be less worried about potentially offending an entire town full of people."

Kalir chuckled at that.

"And for another, I can taste the river on the air," LinGalad smiled.

"You're an odd one, " Kalir said.

"No," Calentoliel said. "He just talks freely about what the rest of us all feel."

"Oh," Kalir said.

"Can't you smell the river?" Mattius asked.

"A little, " Kalir shrugged.

"Men, " LinGalad smiled.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:01 AM   #76
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lim stood silently, thoughts that were little more than dreams passing slowly through his head. Faded memories and ideas, vague hopes and feelings. There was little difference between them now, and little reaction to them.

Faintly, as if from far away, a sound passed through the gently swirling thoughts to the little consciousness left in him.

All who love the Ents draw near,
For something wonderous you may hear,
Entwives soon will rule the wood,
If the Huorn do what they should.
So listen closely to this song,
That we may right an ancient wrong.

The song got stronger and stronger as it continued. One image crystallised from all the rest and remained steady to Lim. Movement. Slowly, hesitantly he began to move in the direction of the song, then got faster. Within a few minutes he had arrived to a gathering of trees. Not trees, the thought burst into his head with unusual clearness, Huorns.

Between the Huorns stood...men. Dark men. One had been playing the song, he had something Lim recognised as a music maker. They were approaching a huge birch tree. With his new observativeness Lim could sense the age and power of this...Huorn. He moved closer.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 06-02-2003, 07:25 PM   #77
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Avery came up beside LinGalad. "Sing something, " she said.

He shot her a smile, very pleased. "In the common tongue?"

"No. Something we've never heard before, if you don't mind."

LinGalad thought a moment, and then very softly began a wistful tune. Mattius, Calentoliel, Endereth and even Radagast joined in, Radagast's voice husky but in-tune, the other elves harmonizing freely.

The song lasted for half an hour, and the men-folk were glassy-eyed when it softly finished. Nobody asked what it was about. Several were yawning, half-dreaming or daydreaming about a maiden who was enchanted by a stream-- or was the stream enchanted by her?-- and her lover who was lost at sea.

"Who was she?" Avery murmured.

The elves waited, and Radagast answered. "Nimrodel. And her lover was Amroth."

They had veered toward the river Isen, and washed their faces and filled their water bottles. Kalir glanced mischeivously at LinGalad, who realised that Kalir was tempted to push him in.

LinGalad unbuckled his sword and set aside his bow, arrows, dagger, and pack, and then said, "Come, Kalir, you will not find it easy."

"We don't have time for this, " groused Radagast.

"They'll have to catch up," smiled Mattius, and they headed toward the forest, leaving Kalir and LinGalad sparring on the riverbank.

LinGalad, looking forward to another swim, only resisted for about five minutes, and Kalir knew he had given up too easily. "You must like to swim. Isn't it terribly cold?"

"Glacial, " LinGalad replied through chattering teeth as he gathered his weapons and pack. "I'm glad our friends have a head start. I'll give you one, also; a hundred paces. Go."

"Arrogant, aren't you?"

"I'm very sorry, I certainly don't mean to offend. Please, pardon me! Perhaps you are swifter than the average man?"

"Oh, stow it, " said Kalir, starting off. LinGalad watched him go and counted a hundred paces, rueing his generosity; he should have given him fifty paces. He did not quite catch Kalir before Kalir joined the others.

Ajada had her notepad out, certain that she had witnessed yet another conspiratory meeting, and wondering what mysterious part the river played in their plot for world domination.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:29 AM   #78
DayVampyre
Wight

The Eye

Avery was glad that they had found the river. Her own bottle had been empty for some time and she felt herself getting weak again even at times a bit dizzy. But now that she had a full bottle of the cold water, she was feeling better and continued on keeping fair pace with the rest. LinGalad's song had been quite beautiful and it had made Avery forget the dangerous tramp that they were on. Just as Ajada had pulled out her blasted quill again, Kalir anf LinGalad had come running up.

"Where were you two? I though we had finally lost you." Avery said.
"We were enjoying the river a little bit more, you alright?" Kalir asked.
"Yes, why woudn't I be?" Avery said a bit puzzled.
"Well, its probably nothing then," Kalir said, seeming to want to take back what he had said.
"No, what is it?" Avery asked again.
"I just though you seemed a bit paler that you did before." Kalir explained

Avery furrowed her brow.

"Oh, its probably just from all this open country walking, I'm more used to the city, where the walks are shorter, just give me a few days, I'll be fine." Avery said brushing it off.

"Look at that, she writting again," Kalir said rolling his eyes.
"More hidden plots, I'd wager" Avery said.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:54 PM   #79
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Water, water, water. Ajada scribbled down. What could water have to do with LinGalad and Kalir's secret plot? How was Avery mixed up in all of it? Ajada squinted at Avery's little 'sickness' of sorts, and every idea went trickling back to one thing...water. "Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink," or so the saying went. That was it!

"Drink! Drink!" Ajada wailed, and grabbed Avery by the arm to take her to a place where no one could hear Ajada's hushed whispers. "Avery, they poisoned you! That is why you are all in cahoots together! Kalir and LinGalad, they are the chief masterminds...but they've got you now! It was the water! The water you drank earlier after teaching me to sword fight! It was poisoned by Kalir and LinGalad! Come back to the light, Avery! Even if you're just a filthy, sceaming thief to begin with, you still shouldn't be poisoned!"

By the end of her exasperated speech, Ajada had taken to grabbing Avery by the shoulders and shaking her. Avery looked as if the added tremors would send her flying with her in an already dizzy state, but Ajada continued to jostle and jar the girl, until Avery practically collapsed to the ground.

"Avery! It was the poison!" Ajada cried, making a scene that even the other travelers could hear. They came over, and Kalir and LinGalad helped Avery to her feet.

"What happened?" Kalir asked, his face of mock concern obviously masking a smile.

"Ah. You've poisoned Avery!" Ajada accused, not quite answering the question. Kalir rolled his eyes.

"That's ridiculus, Ajada." Endereth murmured, handing Avery a canteen of water. "Now what really happened?"

Ajada felt like a child. They were all accusing her of something that wasn't her fault, and then repeating questions as if she were...dumb. Ajada's eyes widened, and she frantically searched through her mind for an excuse, but nothing came to her.

"It was you!" Avery yelled, voice cracking as she regained strength again. "Why were you shaking me like that? You've lost your mind!"

"Come now! We can't waste much more time!" Radagast intervened, and Ajada was momentarily thankful that the old man was a peacekeeper. "Are you alright, Avery?"

Avery nodded, glaring at Ajada. Ajada was still mumbling something about poison and Middle-Earth domination as the group got back to walking towards the woods. Avery avoided Ajada even more than usual, but Ajada didn't mind. She needed to figure out what the master plan for LinGalad and Kalir was.

"I don't understand what is so special about water. Smelling water, swimming in water..." Ajada mused, writing down the incident with Avery. "I mean, you can smell that one stream from the printing and recording shop when it is on the other side of town."

"That's because its full of sewage!" Avery murmured, overhearing Ajada's musings. The scribe rolled her eyes, and scrawled down Avery's words, hoping to maybe quote her in her final report for Leo.

It is just one huge conspiracy. Better be careful about the water I drink while in such company, Ajada thought, eyeing LinGalad and Kalir suspiciously.

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 06-03-2003, 06:35 PM   #80
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Kalir put the rest of the company between himself and Ajada, and LinGalad unconsciously joined him. Mattius and Endereth were glad that some friendships were forming, but Ajada concerned them. Mattius joined her, and tried to make small talk. She forced herself to be polite, but she wasn't interested, and kept one eye on LinGalad and Kalir.

LinGalad looked back at the friendly river several times, wistfully.

Kalir chuckled more each time. "What is it about you and water?"

"I wish it came from the forest, and we could follow it there, " LinGalad sighed. "I hate to leave it. I love its song, its shine, its fragrance, everything about it."

"It's glacial, " Kalir said. "It smells cold, it feels cold, it looks cold. And it tastes strange."

"It has the taste of the mountains it came from, " LinGalad said. "Speaking of mountains, we must now either go over or around them, and I wonder which it is to be. "