Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #41
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Just hop aboard the line! By the way: these saves will not be in place for a tremendously long time, will they? Because I want to see where the story is going to go!
Old 05-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #42
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Nay, my dear Vanima, not for long! Archer and Maika are about to steal the show! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Btw, Archer...hang back a bit. You can make your move once the Lady shows her displeasure, also our characters need a heart-to-heart very soon.

Matt...have Thelian ready to back up Melost. I'll try to post tonight.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #43
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Archer, if there's anything you wish to discuss concerning future events of this RPG, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help out.

Same goes for you, Vanima. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #44
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Anyone...go ahead and post. Maika's post will be incidental and should have no bearing on any other character except Melost.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:34 AM   #45
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Fellow Rohan gamers,

Our gaming comes with a cost; it is time to reflect on this fact and make some changes to how we run our games.

We RPGers are the most voracious consumers of Barrow Downs resources. We use a game thread, a discussion thread, PMs to plan games, and are constant visitors to the site, often returning more than two or three times a day to keep up with developments in the game in order to prepare our own posts.

Why is this a drain on BD resources? Please take some time to read carefully and reflect seriously upon the Barrow Wight's recent posts in the "Announcements >> The Barrow Downs" forum concerning storage space and bandwidth, chat and discussion, and the costs of running the site, and then change your posting habits.

What are the most beneficial changes in our posting habits? For one, we need to stop using the discussion threads for idle banter, for personal comment. We must restrict our posts to discussion of the games only, that is, to issues of plotting, character interaction, clarification, and notification of absences. For most occasions, we don't need to make multiple posts about why we are absent or how we are doing and we don't need to make a string of 'see ya' posts in reply. For personal comments, we can use the chat room or PMs. A discussion thread that is far longer than a game thread is often a signal of a misuse of the discussion thread.

Please take the time to do several things: Delete posts or run of the mill comments in the discussion thread that have no bearing on the game. Refrain from such posts and comments in future discussions of the games. Limit your daily visits to the thread.

If we all help out, we can ensure that our games remain treasures in the Barrow Downs.

Thanks for being responsible gamers and credible members of the Downs!

Bęthberry
Old 05-26-2003, 08:25 PM   #46
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

It seems as if writer's block has decimated the cast! I've PM'd Vanima in an attempt to unblock everything. Archer, if you have any questions as to up-coming events, please PM either myself or Maika.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #47
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

No, I am here...

Not sure what I should be doing now- Melost and Anwaelme are off *together*, and Arthain is a little lost...

(EDIT: Just editing so I can receieve email notifications...)

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:18 PM   #48
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

You can choose what you are worried about, Aman. I figured probably some bad news from fighting some where or something, but whatever you want. And now you can play with Menelya, if you want, as she is pestering you. I have always found it is easier if there is another character so that you can use dialogues if you need to do so. Dorlas and Thelian are still meandering about. They can maybe check out the young Elf maidens if it tickles their fancy. Just an idea on my part.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:14 PM   #49
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Actually Archer, I'll come looking for you shortly...
Old 05-31-2003, 05:54 PM   #50
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

I know you guys are out there...posting in other games. Is there a problem? If so, PLEASE PM either Maika or I.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:48 AM   #51
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Posted. I hope that was alright.

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 06-01-2003, 01:12 PM   #52
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Well, as Menelya is basically a minor character, I react mostly off of what you all do. Anyway, I have the rest of the afternoon covered in my last post.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #53
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Am now beginning my search for players for the outlaws....Helka will be re-joining us.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:53 PM   #54
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

And 'Vlad' will be another outlaw, will he not?

If you want a good player, try Envinyatar.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:28 PM   #55
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wanted to be an outlaw when I first saw this. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Still, Dorlas is cool. I'll post tonight after a Birthday Dinner. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 06:04 PM   #56
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Archer, feel free to ask him/her for me, ok? I looked around but couldn't find the name...thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #57
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Thanks again for inviting me, Cuthalion! I am to be an outlaw, correct? What do you need for my bio?

I'll be reading the RPG thread...

EDIT: Here's an incredibly short bio, since his character will be developed throughout the game...yeah...

Name: Snyder (Snyd)
Race: Man of a small village in the Westfold

Appearance: Snyd is fairly short, standing at only 5'4" and is very skinny, mostly because of his usually small meals. He is actually fairly handsome, in an almost feminine way, looking close to pretty. He has always hated this fact, but has at times used it to his advantage. He has short reddish-blond hair cropped over his face and grey eyes. He usually wears his green shirt, brown pants, and brown boots, really quite plain, and quite dirty. He rarely carries anything with him besides his knife and bow, and if there is anything else, it is usually food.

Personality/History: Snyder was tried and found guilty of adultery and various thefts in his tiny village. He easily escaped, and the townsfolk let him go, it wasn't worth the trouble. Since his flight from the village, Snyd has grown to be a more active criminal, taking theft on as his way to survive. Still he is a petty-thief, never taking in a large profit. He has killed only a few men, and though he does not like it, he will kill, if necessary to complete his job. Sometimes he will allow himself to be hired to do someone elses dirty work, but he usually works alone. He is a scheming fellow, always trying to find how to get something to his benefit from any and every situation. Snyd remains constantly on the move, so as to not be seen as suspicious. If he keeps his visit short enough, no one will remember him, and he can get away with most anything. He doesn't attempt adultery, or any fun in the hay loft, anymore, though. To risky, and not worth it. He cares most for his own hide, even before his own benefit, but he still has a knack for getting into close calls. Life remains a kind of game for him. He likes to test his luck, take chances, without thinking. When finally back in his right mind, Snyd is on the edge of failure, which means being seen as suspicious or, worse, being caught in the act. At that point, be assured that he will high - tail it out of there!

How is that? I hope it's okay that I put the stuff together, somewhat...

[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]

[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 06-08-2003, 06:12 PM   #58
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Looks great, Durelin. Welcome! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, I finally got a chance to put this thing together so here's the bio for Vlad.
Everything not included is either not important or may turn up during the game.

Name: Vladamar

Race: Man
No one, except himself, really knows where he's from since he's never told anyone. The closest someone ever got to an answer was "around" whereafter he went on with his business.

Description: Tall and slender, with long, curly dark hair. A handsome face though it reveals a hard life with too many fights.
He lost his right eye in a fight and has a rather large scar running from his brow, over the eyelid and down to the cheekbone marking the wound that cost him his eye. Usually wears a patch.
His clothes are dark and weather-stained and along with his scarred face, bring him a well-deserved respect from others.
Besides his bow, he carries his trusted sword and a knife at his side and an extra knife in his boot, but he's not afraid to pick up a good fist-fight if need be.

Vlad has a charismatic personality and can be a charming and merry man, though at other times just as gloomy. Has a great love for women which, through time, has led him into more trouble than good is and is said to be one of the reasons he is now living the life he does.
He sees the small band of men as his "family" and he mostly lets them go about their own business but, if needed, he'll show who's the boss. And he will kill without blinking, swift and merciless as is his nature.

[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 06-08-2003, 06:33 PM   #59
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Heh, heh! Excellent, both of you! I'm looking forward to working with these characters very much!
Old 06-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #60
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How's this, Cuth? (Your PM box is full [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

Name: Jaheira

Race: Human, from a town near the East Wall of Rohan

Appearance/Weapons/Gear: Jaheira, though frail looking and moderately short, likes to consider herself stronger than any of the men in the group of outlaws. Her long wavy hair is a wine-red sort of auburn color, and her sharp eyes are smoky brown. Jaheira wears trousers that are a bit too big on her; she stole them from someone when she grew out of her old clothes, and a dirt-stained tunic. Jaheira carries perhaps a few too many sharp objects for her own good, but she claims that one can never have enough weapons and tools.

History: Jaheira was the daughter of a locksmith, and when she was young she was tried and convicted for breaking into several small shops and stealing goods. She had gone on these little raids with her friends, and they always used her to get into the merchant’s booths and the shops. One of her supposed friends got caught on one such raid, and claimed that it was Jaheira who planned everything and made her friends go along. When Jaheira was finally penned up in the town’s makeshift jail, she easily broke out overnight, letting loose several guilty criminals along with her. These people formed the core of the little band of criminals, and the group would often pick up members along the way as they traveled.

Personality: Jaheira likes taking on dares and proving that she can do almost anything without getting caught. She enjoys the rush of avoiding capture, and like many of her fellow outlaws, she likes to push her luck. Jaheira will kill if someone gets in her way, or betrays her in some way, but typically her great collection of blades is only for show, for the only thing she needs is energy to run and tools to break into places. Jaheira is always up for a break-in or two, and likes to boast afterwards about her skill and abilities…not to mention whatever she steals. Jaheira is, all in all, boastful and arrogant.

-Aylwen
Old 06-09-2003, 09:00 AM   #61
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Okay. Let's give this some serious thought for a change [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Name: Fidrohir

Weapons:A two handed axe, short sword ( in his opinion) and a crossbow.

Appearence:
About 2 meters. Large clothes, mostly hanging and even to big for this man's stature. Fidrohir has long blond hair that is hanging loose most of the time. His eyes are green and his body broad. His clothes are mainly brown from dirt, rain and long outside stays. On his stomach is a scar that is a memorial from his near death experience. His height has made him a good lookout and he is always there when things go wrong. His height can impress the ones that are not certain and he always uses this advantage.

History:
Always being very tall, Findrohir stood out at a young age. His parents are poor and a stranger came by. He offered to take Findrohir up as a student and offered them money. His parents agreed. But it soon became clear that the man was not so good as he had pretended to be. He tried to convince Findrohir to steal from people.

He did at first, but as he got bigger, he was noticed many times and the man had no use for him. So he deserted him with a band of angry villagepeople who locked him up. Findrohir felt betrayed by everyone. His parents did not bail him out and the man never returned. Neither did the villagers listen to him.

At the jailbreak, he followed the band of men that escaped. They talked to him and where nice in their own way. Any form of attention was precious to him. When the group has a job or goes stealing, he mostly makes the diversion. Just picking a fight he always wins. He is always there when things go wrong and fights his way back to straighten things.

Suilad,

Anuion

[ June 13, 2003: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
Old 06-09-2003, 09:37 AM   #62
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

OK, people...we seem to have the makings of a ruthless outlaw band...let's move along, shall we?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #63
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Snyder, hmm? A buffy fan, maybe? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Nice profiles, all.

Cuthalion, please delete or reply to a few old PMs. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:39 AM   #64
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

On June 16th, I will be leaving for my trip to Russia. I will return the 29th (meaning I probably won't come on until the 30th). I just wanted to let you know that I won't be here then! Okay: carry on!
Old 06-10-2003, 04:55 PM   #65
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey sorry I haven't posted as frequently as I would like but things have been pretty hectic for the past and next couple of weeks. I am in the middle of my A2 exams which I need to pass so that I can go on to University and move out of my house as well as run up debts of around Ł10,000!!

I have saved a post to fill in tomorrow night when I have allowed myself some time off.

All the best, Matt.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:11 AM   #66
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Vanima, and others who need to take absences,

Just a quick reminder that, if you must be absent, you should not only announce your absence but give the game owner some sense of what to do with your character.

Would it be possible for you to write your posts before you leave and send them to Cuthalion so he can post them for you at the appropriate place in the game?

If you can take a good look at the game plan, perhaps you can plan future moves for your character. This would allow the game to continue without anyone having to carry your character.

Bęthberry
Old 06-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #67
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Buffy? Woops...no, actually. I didn't mean to... My friend likes Buffy, but I've only seen one episode (old Buffy...back when Willow wasn't a lesbian...the better Buffy...) Didn't know I was stealing a name.

Anyway...when should the outlaws post? And how do they come to be together? Or are they...? Sorry, I am a bit of a slow person at times...and don't you say a word, Helky...
Old 06-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #68
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Don't worry, Durelin. Helka won't say a word unless I tell him he's allowed to! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

All outlaws will be informed when the time comes. Until then, get into your characters and enjoy.
Any questions, PM Cuthalion or me.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:25 PM   #69
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Coincidentally, I had just PM'ed Maika about that just before I visited this thread, Bethberry! Anyone else who has any ideas about Menelya is welcome to use her. As she is a very, very minor character that was invented by Cuthalion when I asked if there was anyone that I could play, just mentioning her existence would probably be enough. Just have her poking her nose into other people's business and nagging other people and the like once and a while. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #70
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Right, this will be updated but here's a first draft.

--------

Name: Dyrk

Race: Human

Hometown: Large settlement in the East Emnet.

Appearance/Weapons/Gear: tall, dark hair and stubble. He seems young and weak from his appearance but this plays to his advantage. He has several small emerald-hilt daggers placed on his body, which he uses to deadly effect. He can wield a sword and shoot with a bow when necessary as well.
He wears dark clothing and when on jobs usually a grey cloak.

History: His father died before he was born and he grew up with his mother and a step-father, who he hatd. Dyrk has always been smart and because of his innocent looks, has found it easy to sweet-talk older people and swindle younger ones. In his hometown he had worked up a sizeable profit before he was found out. He managed to escape the clutches of the law and his angry step-father and made his way around Rohan on the back of his stolen money, topping up in the towns he passed through.

One night he was attacked by ruffians, who he later found out to be working for his step-father, but he wounded several and killed one. He was much more careful from then on and has a grudge against the man who stole his mother from him.

It was in another of these towns that he met Vlad. They were both trying to sweet-talk the same lady and struck up a friendship, the outcome being full pockets for both of them.

Personality: Dyrk is 'handsome' and a natural charmer. He is quick witted and can read situations well. Since his incounter with hias step-father's ruffians he has taken a harder-edge with strangers but loves the outlaws like a family, especially Vlad, who is like an older brother to him.

-----

Hope thats ok for a start.

Fin
Old 06-12-2003, 01:45 PM   #71
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am going to remove my save post as I souldn't leave it over 24 hours but I will have posted by Sunday.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:54 PM   #72
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey everybody, I am back and ready to play my part as an outlaw. I have made a bio for him, and if there is any problems, Cu, you just have to PM me and I will correct it.

Name: Khalad, 26 years old.

Hometown: Pelargir.

Appearance: Tall númenorian with dark hair, not ugly nor particular handsome. A bit slim, and capable of handling most weapons. Mostly uses a longsword, though, which is a family heirloom.

Background: Khalad comes from a númenorian family, who for generations have been soldiers or guards. His grandfather settled in Pelargir and thus survived the Downfall, and his father later became captain of the guard, whereas Khalad became a normal member. Then one day, his sister did not come home. They found her body in an alley, and there was little doubt she had been raped. In her hand she had a rag from a shirt, which had the emblem of a merchant-family in the city. Khalad went with some other guards to question the family, and saw the son in the house wearing a torn shirt. After questioning him he did not doubt he was guilty, but he pleaded innocent, and the other guards did not wish to arrest him on such basis, fearing the power his father had. Khalad saw red and killed him on the spot. He then surrended to the other guards, knowing that his penalty would probably be death. But at night, in the prison, his father came and, risking his own life and position, helped him to escape and gave him a horse and the family heirloom, a longsword. Khalad rode north and at one time was in Edoras, when he saw a thief trying to steal a woman's money. He stopped the thief, but instead of revealing him, he helped the thief steal a richman's money. The thief introduced him to the outlaw band, and Khalad, although sometimes feeling strange being with them, joined them and does his best to be loyal towards them.

Personality: Khalad is a confused youngster, who loves the law for creating order, yet he has to break it to survive. On his sword there are the words engraved in Quenya: Protector of Peace and Justice, and it symbolizes his torn soul, that hates what he is doing, yet he loves to rob merchants, hating the one that once made him what he is now. He rarely kills, and tries not to break the law when he can avoid it, except ofcourse the one about stealing.

Cuthalion: I made a post in the RPG thread, as Gil-galad. I hope you don't mind, but if there is any problems, just PM me and explain whatever corrections and/or deletions are necessary.

[ June 13, 2003: Message edited by: Daniel Telcontar ]
Old 06-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #73
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Ok, my post is up!

Looks good, people. It's seems we're gathering a really nice group of outlaws.
Good profiles all. Should make for some very interesting posting later on!

Seems we're back up and running! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

It is still being discussed exactly when the outlaws will join, but you will all be informed as soon as everything is in place, so hang in there, it won't be long.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:33 AM   #74
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

my profile is updated and 15 centimeters shorter. I hope this is what you where pointing at Cuth. I think it is okay now right?

Suilad,

Anuion
Old 06-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #75
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

Archer:"...Her expression had been interested in what he was telling her, and she leant across the table, her hands close to his where they lay clasped in front of him..."

"...Arthain withdrew his hands slightly from where they rested near Anwenelme's, and she did the same, smoothing her dress- or was she wiping them on her dress?..."

Daniel:"Gil-galad guessed that Elendil was deeply concerned for the attack that Gondor was suffering, yet it did not cloud his mind. His advice was spoken in wisdom, and Elrond nodded, approving of what had been said. Isildur did not move, nor speak; but when his and Gil-galad's eyes met, he could read the same desperation in Isildur's eyes. He knew what it was like, to have your home and realm attacked by the armies of Mordor. When it had happened to Gil-galad, the númenorians had aided him, and now it was time to return the favor..."

THIS is what it's all about people...details and the interaction between the characters! Bravo! Brava!

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Cuthalion ]
Old 06-14-2003, 11:14 AM   #76
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Thankyou, Cuthalion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(*cough* Daniel, sig on the RP thread *cough*)

EDIT: I've just noticed something on your profile, Fin.
Quote:
especially Vlad, who is like an older brother to him.
Ah, so thats where the feeling which should have been between Vlad and Kane went, eh Maika? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 06-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #77
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Maika, when you have filled the save, could you post here please? Otherwise it'll just completely pass me by, as it wont trigger an email message.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #78
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

That was my last post until at least the 30th, I regret to say! I leave tomorrow morning, and return the evening of the 29th. I guess that just leaves me to say: да свидания (da svidanya), my friends!
Old 06-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #79
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Sting

OK, people! Please read the Revised Rules just to be sure we're all on the same page...and Bethberry has invited the cast to attend a party at the White Horse to celebrate accomplishments made by Rohan writers. See you there!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:02 AM   #80
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Cuthalion: I sent you a PM with a copy of the edited Post. If you want to delete mine, you can place it wherever you want. I'll be on for about another hour from when this was posted if you need anything else. If not, I apologize, but I've probably left for the airport. Good luck while I am away!

EDITED after Cuthalion's post below (so as not to waste space): It's okay, I understand completely.

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]