Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2003, 05:20 PM   #81
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Bethberry,
As your PM box is full, I hope you don't mind if I reply here! I apologize my absence at the White Horse recently, and I've been trying to find time to post again. One of the kids in the family just recently returned from the hospital and I'm currently trying to catch up on my roleplaying games in the Shire. I've been reading all the posts here, and as soon as I get some spare time (which will most likely be tomorrow), I plan to post. I've been working out the new character I plan to introduce to the Inn, though because of recent events in real life it might not be as soon as I had hoped.

Once again, I apologize and hope to find some spare time to post.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #82
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

I too, apologize profusely for leaving Lachlan sitting there! Especially to Kryssal!

I can pick up where I left off, except he has nothing to do! After he heads over to the carpenter, he's on his lonesome.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:37 PM   #83
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You can walk Shrae and Reen back to the Inn and then help with the clean up silly.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:56 AM   #84
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Nurumaiel,

That is quite understandable! I hope your child has recovered well now and you are able to return soon.

Sorry about the mailbox. Some nights it fills up faster than others. I do delete and/or copy PMs daily.

All,

Even when the Innkeeper Bethberry returns to The Horse, I will be expecting Aylwen to 'run' the subplot about the fire and its aftermath. Aylwen will be checking over posts for continuity and consistency, too. I think we have a few glitches with timing.

However, feel free to do any planning here for your characters.

If you have ideas or plans for future subplots, please PM them to me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Looking forward to hearing those ideas, Rohirrim!

Bęthberry
Old 11-26-2003, 02:25 PM   #85
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*sneeze*

Hey Everyone,

Wow it's good to be home. It's too cold up north...Anyway, an announcement about the current scenario and timeline:

It is mid-morning/noontime in the game at the White Horse. The fire happened not long after breakfast time, and at the moment it is almost noon at the Horse. Bethberry and I have noticed that a few posts are a bit mixed up on the time of day. Fear not! It can all be fixed in a little edit. Anyone with a post indicating that it is night or any time other than noon or so, please edit your post so that no one reading the thread gets confused and for the sake of continuity in this scenario. Thanks!

Also, soon I will be posting a reminder on the game thread reiterating the time, place, and major events/characters at the Inn for everyone's convenience!

(Not to mention getting a post for Aylwen up!)

Happy Holidays everyone,
Aylwen
Old 11-29-2003, 05:39 AM   #86
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Talan is on his way back, hope you do not mind...
seriously, I am ashamed that I sort of broke off... but Bethberry seems to be fine with me joining again, so Talan will be back; and since I just had influenza in real life, I figured it was a nice explanation to Talan's absence.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:52 AM   #87
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Good to see you back, Daniel Telcontar.

I hope Orual will also think about returning to The White Horse.

And, of course, anyone else who has gone missing on the wide plains of the Riddermark.

Bęthberry
Old 12-02-2003, 09:18 PM   #88
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

I'm a bit rushed for time to reply on the Horse thread today, but I did want to say what a great job everyone is doing with strong characters and good posts.

I have been toying with this idea: after we build the stable, the Horse thread jumps ahead several months, to early winter. Then, Edoras faces some kind of attack, so that the Pallisades must be rebuilt or strengthened. I'm not completely sure about this idea, though. But it would be a way to keep some of our carpenters around. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

We might also think about how the Rohirrim might remember the Long Winter. What kind of social rituals would those in Edoras develope?

We could also think of ways to forge links with people in the Golden Hall.

Bęthberry
Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 PM   #89
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I have returned - well, as much as I can return seeing as I never posted much in the first place. Anyway, Bethberry's nudging, my good mood, and a little extra time have prompted me to post - although it'll probably be short till I get back into the swing of things.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #90
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

The only problem with jumping ahead is that I don't know if Castar will be in the town. I suppose he could move there to try living on his own for a while. He is my central character at the moment, so I kind of want to keep him around, rather than inventing a new character.

I have a question about the nature of the Inn, however: I know that in real life, people sometimes live in hotels. Does that happen with the Inn at all? Is there a moderately permanent boarding? Because if I keep Castar around, I'll need a place for him to stay. Since Aylwen works in the Inn, it would be an obvious choice for him to stay there if he was able.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #91
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have a question: is Idona played by anyone or...?

Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 PM   #92
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Idona is one of Writer of The Mark's first characters, who first appeared in this post.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:36 PM   #93
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

I have a post up for Lachlan!

I havent posted for a while, so to let all know, he is the winemaker's son.

Anyone who wants him to converse with their chara, let me know, Ill be happy to!

Kryss: I have him helping Lowfel first. Let me know if it needs changing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #94
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Thank you Bethberry!

Old 12-04-2003, 03:48 PM   #95
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Bethberry,
I, like VanimaEdhel, have a character who isn't staying at the Inn permanently. By early winter he would have wandered off again. However, I find it probable that after several months, especially since he knows his brother's whereabouts now, he would return eventually. So, if I were to work upon this assumption, this interesting idea might be worth trying. For it would be nice if we could keep the carpenters around. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But would this disrupt the ideas of the school at all?

And now I paste the following from the two games I'm involved in over in the Shire.

Quote:
Before I forget, I'd like to notify everyone that I'll be gone from 12/6 - 12/11, though there is a slight chance it will be a bit longer. I will be fairly inactive during the time previous to the trip, as well, as there is a lot of packing to do.
Orual, I know you planned to have your character's daughter speak with Leofan's daughter, and don't let this hinder you. It would not be too difficult at all to PM a post to yourself or Bethberry to place in an appropriate spot. I would like the two girls to get to know each other!
Old 12-05-2003, 04:04 PM   #96
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

A hectic and stressful week has meant I have been very tardy with my post for Elentari's and dragoneyes' characters. For that, I apologise to them sincerely. I have now completed the post and await their thoughts on where they wish their characters to go. Elentari and dragoneyes, if you want your characters to suffer complications, PM with your ideas or include it in your next posts.

All, I am called away now but will reply this evening to your points about where to go with our plans and characters.

In haste,
Bęthberry
Old 12-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #97
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have filled in my SAVE for Lairwyn on page 6. I'm embarrassed by how long it took me, so please accept my apologies. I only have a week left of classes so I will be back in full swing very soon.

Bethberry and X

Please let me know if the post is satisfactory, and if I used your characters appropriately.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:19 AM   #98
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

All,

There appears to be some confusion over characters, so I think I should copy here Aylwen Dreamsong's very useful list of characters and gamers.

Please note that Iona and Idona are different characters. Yes, spelling does matter! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

*Varda* runs Iona, the Inn servant while Writer of The Mark runs Idona, a girl who lives in Edoras and who has skill as an artist.

Here is the current list of characters. Please refer to it if you are confused about characters--I know I need to, very often.

Ongoing Characters:

Inn Staff:
Bęthberry, the Innkeeper
Aywlen Dreamsong, the Assistant Innkeeper
Froma, the cook
Leofa, (Nurumaiel) stablehand, and his entire family
Talan (Daniel Telcontar), handyman and bouncer
Iona (Varda), scullery maid and serving girl

Visitors to the Inn:
Aldhelm, Deol, Maedlyn, Lathyn (The X Phial)
Aleia, Anwir,(Horse Maiden of the Shire)
Lairwyn, (alaklondewen)
Aldor, (dragoneyes)
Findur, (ElantariGreenleaf)
Ruthven (Bethberry)
Madi (Idgian & Others), little man from Minas Tirith (Minky Ting) staying at the Inn
Sigrid, Ragnar, and Olav (Ealasaide)
Linnea (Writer of the Mark)
Faran, Goldwine (Imladris)
Ćlfritha, (Bęthberry) a horse mistress
Castar, Windheneb and his many lady friends (VanimaEdhel)
Hisimé, (Amanaduial the Archer)
Tamurilo, Eruvalde, (Orual)

Bęthberry
Old 12-06-2003, 10:31 AM   #99
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry about the confusion, my post has been edited a bit so it fits the story.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:11 AM   #100
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

You weren't the first to confuse the two, Daniel! Because it had happened before, I simply decided that a general headsup would be a good idea, or else I would be writing individual PMs over and over again. A labour saving device, you might say.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #101
Idgian
Pile O'Bones

Idgian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

MESSAGE FOR WRITER OF THE MARK

hey

I've tried sending you a PM but your box is full. Thanks for the mail about Madi, and what you did was absolutely fine. I haven't been around for a while because of University and the fact my computer died.

Bethberry and I were making plans to write Madi out of the Horse for a while, as I was unable to commit fully due to Uni studies (a point bethberry has fair beaten me up about on many occasion - lol) But after a recent discussion we thought it might be an idea to keep Madi active, and wondered if you would mind taking over his character.

Let me know by PM, becuase I usually forget to check for messages here (I'm a bit dumb) There is, however, a proviso: I do intend to return to Madi at some point, hopefully to maybe continue with a project i was working with bethberry on. So Madi wouldn't be yours idenfinately.

Ok, let me or Beth know what you think and I'll give you some info on Madi if you think running him is a good idea.

take care

Idgian [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 10:02 PM   #102
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry:

Your PM box is full.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:32 PM   #103
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

I heard it through the grapevine .... Writer of The Mark will carry Madi until Idgian returns.

But really, Idgian, I honestly fail to see how a writer of your initiative and ingenuity cannot find a way to convince your profs to accept Madi posts in fulfilment of, say, Installment/Serial Writing 157, or Mythic Figures Transfigured 204, or Pluralities 302: Encoding Reproduction in Fanfictions. Seriously. Just because I said no to zombies...

Sorry, Orual. It now has room.

All, rather than disrupt the chronology of The Horse, I think I will set up a temporary gaming thread next week, something along the lines of Throwing Orcs a (Snow) (Curve) Ball. Watch for it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:33 AM December 13, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]
Old 12-13-2003, 03:20 AM   #104
Idgian
Pile O'Bones

Sting

MESSAGE FOR BETHBERRY [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thank you so much for your kind and mature words, but . . . seriously . . . what?

Idgian [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:57 AM December 13, 2003: Message edited by: Idgian ]
Old 12-14-2003, 03:36 AM   #105
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Bethberry please check your PM’s [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] when you have time of course. Sorry if the PM has a duplicate I wasn’t too sure if the one PM reached you because the moment I pressed send my computer crashed *kicks computer* so please do forgive me if there are duplicates!

Another thing, when I enter the Inn would someone mind helping Gerdwyn (my character) by talking to her or directing her to Bethberry or Bethberry will you come and talk to me in the Inn while I am standing by the chalk board, seeing I am searching for you. My post should be up pretty soon!

~Niluial

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:39 AM December 14, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 AM   #106
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

I finally have a bit of time this weekend for a long reply.

Alaklondewen, your post is fine. You've handled my character nicely. Please see if you and XPhial can wrap up the birthing scenario so the timeframe won't get too behind the main one.

Vanima, of course the Inn has rooms for long term boarders. *smiles* Just don't let your characters come to blows with Hisimé over Aylwen. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Niluial Patience, girl! I just got your PM this morning! And have replied. Welcome to The Horse. You don't need to worry about asking people to reply to your character here on the discussion thread, as long as your post leaves a 'hook' open for gamers to do that.

Writer of The Mark, now that you have agreed to carry Madi for Idgian, and he has given you some background about the character, you can respond to Imladris' post from Dec 6/03 at 1:25. Her character has just asked Madi how to find Idona.

Idgian, [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] okay, okay, just make sure you come back when your courses are done. Okay? And post a hello now and then. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

All, Please join the new game thread which everyone can post at, ***The 'Snowed' Inn*** [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:40 AM December 14, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]
Old 12-14-2003, 12:22 PM   #107
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Upon reflection I have decided that, in keeping with the general level of indulgence this time of year, a second announcement of the snowball fight at The 'Snowed' Inn would not be unacceptable.

All welcome.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:58 PM   #108
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Two quick announcements, well, maybe three.

Writer of The Mark, your mailbox is full and I cannot send you information. Please clear it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

All , with the holidays approaching, I have less and less time for Barrow Downs. I will try my best to post in games promptly and respond within twenty-four hours to PMs, but this might not always be possible. Never fear, though, I will get back to you.

And now, a little something as an online holiday present. Create your own snowflake

Happy holidays, Rohirrim.

Bęthberry

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:20 PM December 15, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]
Old 12-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #109
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Silmaril

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Everyone-

My grandfather has passed away and from Thursday to Monday morning I will be in MN attending the funeral and being with family.

Best Holiday Wishes,
Aylwen

P.S. I understand your sig now, dear Bethberry.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:46 PM December 15, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 12-16-2003, 12:29 PM   #110
Idgian
Pile O'Bones

Sting

MESSAGE FROM MADI TO ALL

. . . heavy cactus . . .

Madi [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

(beats me, love Idgian)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:07 AM   #111
Idgian
Pile O'Bones

Sting

MASSAGE TO ALL

Have a fantastic Christmas and an even better New Year. May all your presents be groovey!

Idgian
x x x x
Old 12-23-2003, 10:44 AM   #112
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

I've set up more possibilities at The Horse than just rebuilding the stable from the fire. Those of you who wish to create an evening's entertainment, to draw in more patrons to recover losses from the fire, can do so. (I'm thinking of Belin and Nurumiel particularly here.) Niluial can post some interactions between Froma and Gerdwyn and Writer of the Mark can post for Idona and Madi. And everyone of course is free to work their own characters in as they choose.

Aylwen, I'm sorry for your loss but am glad you have returned.

Idgian, applause for your massage. And as for Madi, well, tasty smells. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Happy holidays, All.

Bęthberry

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:04 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]
Old 01-02-2004, 02:51 PM   #113
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Two wee announcements:

I have changed my username from Horse-Maiden of the Shire to Mad Baggins...

And due to circumstances that are not under my control, I have very limited access to the Internet now. I'm unable to get onto the Barrow-Downs as often as I would like, and I don't know when I will be able to come on regularly again. Until then, hope you all had happy holidays and a great New Year.

Whoa...lots of big words in that last paragraph. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #114
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Hey Bethberry,

Check your PMs! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry I've been, err, not around the Horse lately everyone. I'll be making a comeback shortly, I promise. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Aylwen
Old 01-05-2004, 09:41 PM   #115
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Aylwen just advanced the time frame to evening. Is it already the next day, then? I guess ol' Ragnar must have stood up poor Sigrid!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 AM   #116
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

I'm sorry, Ealasaide! If you want, I could put your post ahead of mine, or you could do it in retrospect....or I could just cut out the second part of my post and wait a while for everyone to catch up? Sorry I didn't check with everyone first! [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Just let me know, everyone!

-Aylwen
Old 01-06-2004, 07:46 AM   #117
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, that's okay, Aylwen, but thanks for offering! That's part of the challenge of RPG's... rolling with sudden changes of plan. Actually, I think I will go with the notion that he stood her up. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #118
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Writers of The Mark,

My return from holidays to regular time for BD has been delayed by an extended visit from house guests. Please forgive my lack of posts at The White Horse and on The 'Snowed' Inn.

By all means, continue your posts and work around any scenarios, carrying my characters if you wish.

Ransom, this has particularly delayed 'our' little bureaucratic arrangement. Please feel free to post more about it, or, if you wish, wait for my return in a couple of days.

Nova and Oro, feel free to post any new characters you wish at either Inn. Posters do not have to post character profiles here. Welcome!

Aylwen will, as always, wreck whatever fun and havoc she wishes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I hope to be able to post by Friday, but will then be out of town on the weekend.

Cheerio All!

Bethberry
Old 01-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #119
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

A post, a post, at last a post!

For the next month or so and maybe longer, my access to the computer will be restricted. I likely will not be here weekends and starting next week will, irregularly, be away from access week nights.

I will try my best to post once a week, but I hope the rest of you can carry on the game despite my erratic appearances. Feel free to make references to my character if that suits your needs. As long as you don't have Bethberry signing over the Horse to this bureaucrat from Gondor! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Forth Eorlingas!

Bęthberry
Old 01-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #120
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Dear Bethberry,

Do you really think we'd give away the lovely Horse? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, we'll try our best to go on without you, Innkeeper. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

In any case, good luck with getting back full access to your computer!

-Aylwen