Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Orual,

I think there are enough of you gamers ready and rarin' to go, so I suggest that you start the game thread now. If others become interested by reading the game, so much the better. They can still apply here if they wish.

And, again, I am very sorry that RL is so busy these days that I cannot in good conscience join this game. I would have liked to.

Bęthberry,
Moderator for Rohan

PS. A reminder to all, Game Managers can now open their own game threads once the game has been approved, the Rohan Moderator has started the discusison thread, and a sufficient number of gamers have been chosen. Game Managers should let the Rohan Moderator know before opening the RPG thread.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #42
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've PM'd Bęthberry one question, then I'll set up the game thread.

Our players are:

Defenders:
Anhelm (Orual)
Khalad (Daniel Telcontar)
Astalder (Nerindel)

Attackers
Lan'kash (Manophazan)
Jinan (Imladris)
Gimilzor (doug*platypus)
Frôzhal (Novnarwen)

And if anybody wants to play the last Gondorian defender, please post a profile here or PM me.

EDIT: I've gotten a PM from Galadel Vinorel about filling our last spot, so I'll wait until she posts her profile to start up the game thread.

~Orual

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:52 PM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 02-05-2004, 10:25 AM   #43
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Hello, all. I have been invited to play in this game, and will be playing the last Gondorian position. Here is my character's profile. I will have my post within the next couple of days.

Quote:
Character Profile-

Name: Adenain (Lieutenant of the Guard)

Race: Human (Gondorian)

Appearance: He has brown hair with black streaks running through it. His eyes
are sea-green and almost always shine out with laughter. He is lean, yet strong. Adenain wears the traditional clothing and armor of a soldier, with his sword and two knives hanging at his side, and his bow and arrows strapped to his back. The soldier smiles and laughs often, though he becomes silent sometimes when he thinks of his father and the battles that he has fought in. He is quick and sure of himself, and uses this while fighting to destroy his enemy swiftly.

Personality: Adenain is boisterous and energetic, and works hard for everything that he receives. His friends know him to be free spirited. He has an unending sense of humor that results in him playing tricks on his friends and fellow soldiers. He is calm in difficult situations, and handles himself well in battle. Yet, the man is serious when need be, and expects his small troop that he commands to treat him with respect, just as he does with them. He is courteous and ambitous, and wishes to become higher up in the ranks of the Gondor army, in which he serves faithfully. Also, Adenain helps the healers in Poros when need be, for his mother taught him much about this type of art, for she is a renown healer in the Minas Tirith’s Houses of Healing.

History: Adenain was born in Minas Tirith to his mother, Anneana, a renown healer in the Houses of Healing, and his father, Adenune, a Captain of Gondor. His mother also gave birth to one other child, his sister, Annemal, who is three years younger than him. At the age of five his father was killed in battle, which is what drove the man to fight. Adenain was then left to care for his sister and mother. He used his sense of humor to keep his little sister laughing, and is very protective of her. At the age of ten he became the ‘boy’ of a Lieutenant Hahlir of the Guard and learned his swordmanship and bowmanship skills from his teacher. He was accepted into the Guard at the age of eighteen. Because of his excellent leadership qualities and heroism in battle, the man was promoted when he was 23 to the rank of lieutenant. A year later he was then transferred to the Poros settlement when Captain Anhelm was placed in charge of it, and given a small group of men to train and command. Reluctant to leave his sister and mother behind, Adenain nearly refused the post. He was swayed, though, when his sister agreed to go with him to the settlement, but his mother would not come with them, saying that her home was in Minas Tirith.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 02-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #44
Manôphazân
Pile O'Bones

Manôphazân has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Oural,

It looks like we are about to get started, and I was wondering if you had any posting rules for this game. Specifically, because we have a lot of players (at least it seems like a lot to me - which is great!), I was wondering how often (or seldom) we can post, do we have to wait for everyone to post before we can post again, how much freedom of choice we have when writing our own posts (Rohan games seems to be more complex but less moderated than Shire games), and is there a minimum (or maximum) size for posts? I am familiar with The nature of Rohan posts in The Golden Hall, but I was wondering if you had a general idea of how you want this game to flow. I want to avoid getting left behind (if I get temporarily lazy - I wont!) or stepping on toes (when I impatient to write).

Thanks,
Manô
Old 02-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #45
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Tolkien

Greeting once again my fellow BDers! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Here is the first post of my character. I hope that you find it acceptable, Orual.

Quote:
First Post-

The red sun rose into the light blue sky of the morning. Adenain stretched out his worn muscles as he lay on the sweet-smelling grass. He breathed in deeply as he stared up at the sky, his mind beginning to wander. He thought of Minas Tirith, and his mother who had remained behind. He wondered how she was and what she was doing at this exact moment. It was almost as if he could see her. Around this time of the morning she would be rushing around the house, gathering up parcels of healing herbs and tools. She would then be off, rushing through the busy streets so that she could go to the main healer’s cabinet and drop off the fresh herbs before making her rounds around the Houses of Healing, and taking care of her patients.
As the man lay on the ground, his long body spread out in an awkward-looking, but very comfortable position, he heard the sound of the flute being played behind him. The sound of it was sweet and gentle, and moved the hearts of all who heard it. Rolling over on to his stomach, and propping himself up on his elbows, Adenain looked up at as his younger sister, Annemal, who was playing the beautiful sounding flute, with affection and pride. He had been the one who had taught her to play that when she was only five years of age.
Annemal played on as she reached her brother and sat next to him. Slowly she drew near to the end of the final verse; in her heart she longed to play more for her brother, who had done so much for her, and who now looked very sad, though she did not know the reason for this. The young woman finished her song then, and lowered the flute from her lips. Adenain turned around back onto his back and then sat up, looking over the beautiful view that could be seen from where their small house stood.
“You should be getting to your post should you not, brother?” asked Annemal in her quite and musical voice.
“Yes,” he replied, “I must report in to Captain Anhelm today for his instructions.”
“Come along then, and I’ll fix you some bread and butter with some goat’s milk before you go,” she said, smiling to him, pulling herself up, with him in tow, “While I’m doing that you can go and change into your uniform.”
Thirty minutes later Adenain exited their house dressed in his uniform of the Guard, with his sword and two knives hanging at his sise, and his bow and arrows strapped to his back. He walked calmly, a slight skip in his firm footsteps, to request his orders for the day from his commander, Captain Anhelm.
<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:55 AM February 06, 2004: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 02-05-2004, 08:09 PM   #46
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Galadel Vinorel,

Very nice profile and first post. Check your PM's, but Adenain is accepted into "Defense of the Poros." Welcome!

Mâno (and everybody else),

Question the first, about frequency of posts: You can post however often you can or want. Once the game starts, I'll put up my first post, then you can in whatever order you'd like...but I'd like everybody to have their first post on the game thread before the game starts. Also, in the Golden Hall it says:

Quote:
To post at a minimum two to three times weekly for a major character, once weekly for a minor character, or as required for a cameo character, and to read both the game and discussion threads at least every two days in order to keep informed of the game's events.
Question the second, on freedom of writing posts: You can write whatever you'd like (within the rules for Rohan posts and proper conduct on the Barrow-Downs RPG forums), as long as you don't drop a bombshell or change the course of the game without discussing it first on the discussion thread, or at least PM'ing me and letting me approve it. If anybody has suggestions for a shift in the plot, feel free to post it, but don't just change stuff without asking the group.

Question the third, about length of posts: I believe the minimum is two paragraphs (correct me if I'm wrong). As far as I'm concerned, they can be as long as you want, as long as they're coherent.

Regards,
~Orual
Old 02-05-2004, 09:05 PM   #47
Manôphazân
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Thanks, Oural. This should be fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Manô

P.S. I looked at The Golden Hall and it suggests four paragraphs.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #48
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

Thanks, Orual. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I am looking forward to playing in this RPG.

If I may so ask, when shall the RPG be beginning? Has there been a date set yet, Orual? Just wondering. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Namarie, my fellow RPGers.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:42 PM   #49
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

The game thread is open!

Everybody can now put up their first posts...please do not go further until everybody's done so. And remember to delete your signatures!

~Orual
Old 02-11-2004, 05:33 PM   #50
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Everybody,

I've PM'd doug*platypus to let him know this. I'd like to move on with the game, since the updates are done and everything's five by five.

The game is now officially begun--post however often you wish!

~Orual
Old 02-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #51
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

So, may we now post freely, or are there still some people who have yet to post their first post?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #52
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Yes, you may post freely now. Have at it, lads (and lasses)!

~Orual
Old 02-11-2004, 05:54 PM   #53
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thumbs up

Thanks! I will be!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #54
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Righty ho! Astalder stands ready to take up his new post

Orual if any thing doesn't seem right about my description of the settlement and it's people just let me know and I will edit.

Doug if you want your first post with the other's I can edit it above mine.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 AM   #55
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My computer accidently broke so I now I have limited computer/internet access. Right at the beginning of the start of the game too! Aaargh!!!!!

Wallowing in bad luck,
Imladris

Old 02-12-2004, 11:24 PM   #56
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Imladris,

I'm really sorry that your computer's on the fritz! Thank you for telling us, though.

Nerindel,

Your post was fine.

Everybody,

Good job so far. My second post is up now.

~Orual
Old 02-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #57
Manôphazân
Pile O'Bones

Question

Where's everybody gone? I hope they weren't lost trying to find their way to the new forum
Old 02-14-2004, 11:22 PM   #58
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Mano,
I don't know...but let's give 'em a few days. Sometimes it takes a little bit for inspiration to strike.

Imladris,
Nice post! Glad to see you can still post...that you're not gone entirely.

Everybody else,
Hope you found the new forum all right, and don't be afraid to post whenever you'd like.

~Orual
Old 02-16-2004, 02:46 PM   #59
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Pipe

Quote:
Where's everybody gone?
I'm really sorry. I had every intention of posting this weekend (You know... Saturday 14th or Sunday 15th), but to my surprise my parents banned me from the computer the whole weekend!!

Anyway, now I'm only allowed to go on maximum an hour a day, and considering the time I use when writing a post that is short. So, what I am saying is that I will not be able to post that regularly. Maybe only in the weekends, when I have two hours to my disposial.

Orual, I completely understand if you want to find an other player who can commit themselves to the game. But if you think it's okay, I'll be glad to still be in the game.

Okay, if you don't want to find a new player, I would appreciate if the other Haradrim's just brought my character along.

I'm really soory about this, but at this point my parents don't seem too willing to negotiate either...

Will you please let me know, Orual?

Thanks in advance,
Nova
Old 02-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #60
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Nova,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I understand, though, and I don't want to bump you from the game--I think we have a pretty good team here, and I don't want to lose anybody. If I could make a suggestion, however, if you only have an hour a day what you could do is come on, read the posts, then write your replies while you're offline. It won't take much time to just type in what you've written. It's kind of a pain to handwrite stuff when you're used to typing, but it would be a solution. Thank you for letting me know, though, and I hope everything works out.

If anybody else is having difficulties getting online or finding time to post, please let me know, so I know who is capable of posting regularly.

~Orual

Last edited by Orual; 02-16-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #61
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmaril

I am able to post most everyday, though weekends are rather hard for me to do so. Plus, I am normally able to be on the internet for only an hour every day.

I hope to post soon, though. I was wondering, Orual, if Adenain might report in to Anhelm soon.

Namarie, mellons.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #62
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Hey guy's

as you will see I can post fairly fequently, but if for any reason I can't I will be sure to let you know.

Orual my next post is up and Astalder's first impression of the young captain is a good one, but being one to wants to always have the facts regarding his posts, he is waiting to hear what news the scouts have.

Last edited by Nerindel; 02-17-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #63
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Galadel and Nerindel,

Thanks for your assurances! I'm glad you can make it. And, Galadel, you can post whenever you'd like. You can have Adenain report to Anhelm now, if you'd like. Now is a good time, as Imladris and Aman said in the "Last Hope for Moria" Discussion Thread, to make friends and enemies among the characters. The more interaction we have at this stage, the better. Mostly this is just first impressions and talking, the characters getting to know each other, the writers getting used to everybody else's writing styles. Later action will come, but we need to lay down the foundation first.

~Orual
Old 02-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #64
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Orual- Thanks!

I've put up a save, and will be filling it later today (parents not home) or tomorrow (parents not home..:P)

I was just wondering....I hope it doesn't sound too stupid..

Manôphazân - In your post you wrote:
Quote:
"Then we’ll have to choose the right men to lead them. I’m sure there are some among our ranks that would be up to the challenge of putting these new rats into order.”
So, I was just curious about whether you wanted my character (for instance) to be one of the 'rats' (:P) or one of those would have the challenge of putting the rats into order...

I would be fine with both really. What did you have in mind? (I hope I understood that part in your post correctly...or else.. I have really... I am not going to go into that even...)

Cheers,
Nova :P
Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #65
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I'm Back

Howdy...

Wow... the Barrow-Downs is better than ever! Incredible!!

Anyway, I have sent a slightly edited version of my first post to Nova, who will hopefully put in what I thought would be a sensible place, after the first post for Frozhal and just before Daniel Telcontar.

Manôphazân, good job in your post. I had forgotten that all the new recruits would be total hicks! Lol... I worked a little bit of that into my first post, but didn't steal the hoe gag.

Actually, if anyone besides Nova (i.e. Orual or a mod) has the power to insert my post at the right place, pls let me know and I'll send it to you. I'll keep a closer eye on the thread now that I know the site is up and running again. Later...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #66
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Doug that post came to me, I pmed you a reply but seeing this I realise it should have gone to nova.

In this new format the 'pm this person' tab is now at the bottom of the posts. It caught me out too, it took me a while to figure out way I couldn't edit my post, thats because I was trying to edit the post above
Old 02-17-2004, 10:43 PM   #67
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Nova,

That's fine...but I'd hate for you to get in trouble on account of the game. So play it safe, okay? We don't want you banned entirely!

doug,

Glad you found the board okay. Once you get your first post straightened out--or even before, if you'd like--you can start posting however often you'd like. I don't think, however, that new posts can be inserted between existing posts...just added on to others' posts. I certainly can't do it.

I've got another post up. I'm glad to see the game getting going! I think we've got a good team, and that it'll be a fun game. Right now is still the getting-to-know-you stage, but as soon as that starts to wind down, I'll talk to y'all about the next step in the game.

~Orual
Old 02-18-2004, 03:00 AM   #68
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Quote:
In this new format the 'pm this person' tab is now at the bottom of the posts.
A-Ha!! Thank you kindly... man, I feel like an old person at an ATM or something... not that that's a bad thing...

I'll PM Nova tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:45 AM   #69
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Nova,
That's fine...but I'd hate for you to get in trouble on account of the game. So play it safe, okay? We don't want you banned entirely!
lol. Nah, my parents wouldn't dare ban me entirely...

Doug- I'll be happy to paste something up for you. Just send the post.. (I'm actually glad you didn't do it yesterday, my PM box was full... heh)

Okay, I filled my save. Please Let me know if any of you want it changed.

Manôphazân- I just left it open.... Frôzhal just claimed where his loyalty lies. You may decide whether he's a rat or... one of those... those...talented soldiers. (I hope you know what I mean... if not.. then... please say so...heh )

Cheers,
Nova
Old 02-21-2004, 10:33 PM   #70
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Hey y'all,

I just wanted to drop a note saying that I've put up a new post for Adenain and Astalder to respond to as they wish (and by the way, Galadel and Nerindel, you don't have to leave just because Anhelm said dismissed...if either of your characters has something to say, feel free to say it).

I'm really pleased with how the game is progressing. Since it was slow starting up, I'm going to leave a little more time for the "getting to knoooow you, getting to know all aboout you" stage, then I've got a couple of things in the works, especially some early skirmishes. Manô, it wouldn't be me and you so much, since we're the chief officers in this confrontation and would not be the scouts, etc...but that still lies ahead, and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I just wanted to give you all a heads-up.

For all of you in areas that celebrate it, happy Mardi Gras! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

~Orual
Old 02-22-2004, 05:04 PM   #71
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

1420!

I've just added my second post to the RPG thread. Big thanks to Nova for inserting my first one.

Other Haradrim, please let me know if I've made your players act a little out of character. I guess at the start, we're all still settling into the roles that our characters will have. I guess we should probably get moving out of the settlement soon, so just let us know when Manophazan. Sweet.

Good job everyone, see you next weekish.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #72
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Quote:
(and by the way, Galadel and Nerindel, you don't have to leave just because Anhelm said dismissed...if either of your characters has something to say, feel free to say it).
Orual, Glad to hear that! Astalder being the meticulious soldier that he is does have more to say, as you will see when you read the post I've just put up.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #73
Manôphazân
Pile O'Bones

Eye Harnen Crossing

I have been mistakenly calling the Harad border settlement 'Poros Crossing'. The Poros settlement is where the Gondorians are, so the Haradrim are at the crossing of the Harnen river. I have gone back into my three posts and changed the border settlement where the Haradrim are at to 'Harnen Crossing'. Sorry for any confusion. We'll get to the Poros soon enough... and the Wingers are not going to be happy.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #74
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Okay, if everybody's okay with it, I think we'll start moving the game along. (Manô, thanks for your post--it kind of pushed me along!)

I think we're going to start off with a skirmish--a couple of Gondorians versus a couple of Haradrim, probably scouts vs. stragglers. Nerindel, since Astalder had mentioned getting familiar with the boundaries and the territory, that'll give Anhelm a reason to send some people out. Then a couple of Haradrim (including at least one but possibly more of the Haradrim players: not Lan'Kash, since he's in charge and probably wouldn't go gallavanting about, but some of the lower-ranked soldiers) would meet them by accident, and fists would fly. Of course, as Anhelm said in my last post, that's all it'll take to push him into an "aggessively defensive" path of action, which leads to more blows being dealt.

Now, I think, would be a good time to bring up an important discussion. Some of you may have noticed in my game proposal on the first page of this thread that I didn't put a definite outcome. Either side, at this point, could win. I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter. Myself, I'm leaning toward the Haradrim winning, simply because it clears up the canonical problem of there actually not being a Poros settlement, plus it would give the Haradrim a morale boost that they could use in later continuing attacks later on. (And it's kind of a nifty twist, any way.) So just tell me what you think, and we'll all discuss it.

~Orual
Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #75
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

This is my unbiased opinion: have the Haradrim win. I love it when the good guys go down fighting!

Old 02-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #76
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

I have to agree I think the Haradwaith would win this one, but Astalder would become torn in his loyalties, he will be concerned for the safety of his wife and son, and ultimately advise Anhelm to have all the women and children evacuated to Pelargir.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #77
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Well, good, that makes three out of eight in agreement, and I have a feeling that all the Haradrim players are going to agree.

Nerindel, you brought up a good point. I think that there will definitely be an evacuation--there won't be a big, bloody massacre where all the good guys die. That's a little much for an RPG, methinks. But Anhelm will need a little pushing--he's the type to go down with his ship.

~Orual
Old 02-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #78
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just for the fun of it, I agree as well! :P

Anyway, I just filled my save.

Imladris- I have used your character quite a lot. Please let me know what you think. I don't want to 'overstep' and write about anyone's characters in an inappropriate way.

Thanks,

Nova :P
Old 02-29-2004, 08:24 PM   #79
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I would like to apoligize for the length of time it took me to fill in my save of several days. Bad me.

And Novnarwen it was absolutely brilliant what you did.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #80
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
The Ending does not matter to me, just that we get some great posts made.

Anyway, the idea of a skirmish sounds great. If it is not too late, could Khalad come along on that patrol/scout thing (even though he is a knight, he can walk if that fits better with the scenery)? Currently I am a bit unsure of how to get Khalad into the story, thus my few posts. If he could tag along on this scout thing it would be excellent.