Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2003, 01:18 PM   #121
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Oro, whats meant to be in the letter? I dont know what it is Im meant to be reading.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #122
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hmmm...I may have an idea...bare with me: I'm mid-midterm-studying-nervous-breakdown-mode right now, so my head isn't the clearest, but I think I know how I can edit to make it all better...let me to edit my last post...

EDIT: So, *hint hint* Deorlin: maybe your character should come out of his miniature coma soon...

And: the men can speak of anything they wish. I had nothing particular in mind. I assume it will be something that concerns them for some reason...something they don't want Izrênna to know about for whatever explanation you can give...

Bethberry: you never yell! I was not referring specifically to you! If anyone wanted to smack me and say, "Hey! I wanted my character to do this!" I would have changed for them!

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:53 PM   #123
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A Note to My Fellow Easterlings:

Please, please, please, is there anyway that you could stop with the 'saves'? It's really hard to guess what your next actions are going to be. I don't want to post a really simple post if you plan on killing off someone. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Sadbh
Old 01-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #124
Anglachel
Animated Skeleton

Anglachel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vanima,

Just a quick edit for your most recent post: You refer to your two companions as 'Estel and Gryphon' at one point instead of their RPG names. Not a big deal but will be confusing to others reading who are not familiar with the characters. Otherwise, I think you did an excellent job with your post.

All,

As it stands now, if I move the company along with my next post then, out of necessity, I will be making decisions for certain members of the company as to whether they will be immediately joining us on the next leg. However, there hasn't been all that much time since we've gotten everything organized appropriately. Therefore, if anyone has a preference on where their character will be going, be sure to make a post regarding this (either in the discussion or in the RPG) by tomorrow afternoon so I can incorporate it. I'll wait until the evening to post to give everyone ample opportunity for input/posting. Thanks much.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:04 PM   #125
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry, Bethberry, I wasn't trying to be deliberately ignoring your instructions. I did read them the other day and refrained from posting, but then the next day I read the latest posts in this thread and just clean forgot that you had said that - it just honestly slipped my mind. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] I apologize for once again putting my foot in it. And when I originally "split off" from the group, I guess I didn't realize I was to wait for more info/direction from you. I (wrongly) assumed that, given you had me placed ahead of you and the rest, I was going to go on and get to the ford first.

My only excuse is this is my first RP game and I just didn't realize that we were supposed to just be doing character development. I'm not meaning to be rude; I'm only ignorant. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

My apologies to all.
Deorlin
Old 01-08-2003, 12:13 AM   #126
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Sadbh,

The reason we, or at least I, make "saves", is to make sure we can get a post in the right place and time, since they must also be somewhat co-ordinated with thse of the pursuers.

In the beginning of this RPG, we Easterlings were pretty slow getting on the move and suddenly it was morning and the posse had left Edoras even before we had.
That is what I, for one, am trying to avoid by saving a slot when I see an opportunity for a post but don't have the time to make one or haven't yet decided exactly what to do.

If you have any questions or plot suggestions, feel free to PM me. I'll be more than happy to tell you all about the current plans and eventually hear some new ones. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:36 AM   #127
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Deorlin,

Methinks you doth protest too much. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The point is not that gamers must write only character development in this RPG. The point is to read each other's posts carefully and write interactively, taking up and following each other's cues and learning how to advance the plot in ways which will enhance the story and the game and not merely one's own character. Always check in at the Discussion thread, too, before posting. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 01-08-2003, 12:21 PM   #128
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Hmmm, would you mind if I didnt use that bit Oro? You cant just drop that on me! I dont know what supposed to be in your letter! Please can you edit it? Me and Maika have a plan here and we need to use it before we leave the camp.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #129
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

GAH! You're right...sorry...I've done that once before on another RPG, actually...

I fixed it! All set we are! Yeesh: did I just say that? I sound like Yoda...
Old 01-09-2003, 02:19 AM   #130
Anglachel
Animated Skeleton

Anglachel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay All,

We are now officially again in pursuit of the bad guys. Sorry about the delay in getting us going, but I have just read about 300 pages today on the Theory of Constraints and it took me a while to get back into 'creative' mode. While I'm sure everyone is fascinated by how to increase throughput at a bottleneck, I don't think it would have added much to this particular story.

Since no one has posted, I attempted to wrap things up from the attack and then move us along, but tried to keep it open enough that no character's path is set in stone.

It will be interesting to see what next awaits us on our journey.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:49 AM   #131
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

Dear Everyone,

An unexpected turn of events just happened to me: my Dad is suddenly ill and the doctor told him to rest for two weeks. The thing is, I have to fill in for him at his job until he gets better.

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] That means I won't be able to post for a while (if that's OK for all of you).

You guys can use my character until I return. Please do not kill him or his horse. Wound him, beat him, humiliate him, make him dance ballet or the asere-he, but please keep him alive.

Estel
Old 01-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #132
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Aman, you are so mean! You go girl! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:04 PM   #133
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

Amanaduial the archer,

Apologies, I have edited my post.

Everyone,

My grandfather is passing away. I will be gone this weekend, feel free to use my character in whatever way appropriate.

Oro

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 01-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #134
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dark are the times that bring news of illness.

Estel: I hope that your father feels well soon, and I'm glad he has a son like you that he can depend upon. *bows*

Oro: As I said before, may you find strength in yourself, your family and your friends.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:11 AM   #135
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

But Oro... Aman has already worked that out. Now she has to edit her post. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Oro and Estel, my best wishes to you both and your families.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #136
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

I have to change my post now? grr-ishness.

Thankyou Maika my dear, i try my best [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Come on, post! I want to see the game and...what happens after

Estel, Oro, I hope your grandfather and your father gets better. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Quote:
Wound him, beat him, humiliate him, make him dance ballet or the asere-he, but please keep him alive.
You really feel for your character then, huh? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 01-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #137
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Estel and Oro, I feel deeply for you and your families. May you find strength in family, friends, and faith.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:00 PM   #138
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Latest post is up. I thought I would provide a little bit of recollection about discovering the site of the thieves' wharg attack and a tiny bit of interaction.

Feel free to add your own recollections or to move us forward. Deorlin and Vanima, I've left it to you two to decide what you want to do.

Anglachel, thanks for moving us out. Nicely done!

Estel, my best wishes for your father's speedy recovery. We'll carry your character and horse.

Oro, my prayer and thoughts are with you, and we look forward to your return as you are able.

Bethberry
Old 01-11-2003, 10:23 AM   #139
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

OK, that was Bhurthnin.

2 down, more to go? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #140
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
more to go?
Hehe, oh yeah! *realises what this could have meant.* But...not kane right? Right?!

That was great Maika, very nice! But now Rhana seems to be traumatised? Oh bother....
Old 01-11-2003, 01:18 PM   #141
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Nah, she just has to get rid of the memory that his disgusting hands actually touched her... ICK! *shivers*

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 01-12-2003, 04:05 AM   #142
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Shield

By the way, I've talked with Estel and have gotten permission from Estel to have limited control over Béowulf and his horse Léod while he's off.

Just in case you're curious at my liberties with his characters.

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Gryphon Hall ]
Old 01-12-2003, 04:58 PM   #143
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Just so you know: Deorlin and I are working on a "waking-up" scene, so he will awake before noon, and we will be following you! Just so you know what's going to happen!

And I told Bethberry, but I thought I should tell all of you that, as I have midterms this week, my time on here will be quite limited!
Old 01-13-2003, 08:31 AM   #144
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

I almost forgot! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Exams! [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] Sheesh! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I guess I wouldn't be spending so much time, either.

Garn! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I'll be putting a save point soon, then.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:31 AM   #145
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

This is January 13 and people are running into RL conflicts. Perhaps it is time to move this game towards its conclusion.

I would suggest that both groups resolve what issues and conflicts now concern them--or as much as is possible with carrying characters--and move south. Destiny awaits us.

Shall we aim for a conclusion to the game around the 19th or 20th of January? Unless I hear otherwise from the majority of you, that is what I will be planning for.

Bethberry
Old 01-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #146
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Sounds good to me, Bethberry, I have exams starting on the 27th.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:58 PM   #147
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Well it seems I am almost the only one with no exams. But no, wait, I just have piles and piles of IT coursework instead. Joy. Lucky lucky me.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:16 AM   #148
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The 19th/20th is fine for me...I don't have exams, just lots and lots of lovely Textiles sheets to do! Oh joy(!)
Old 01-14-2003, 02:23 PM   #149
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Sting

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. I appreciate them greatly.

Well I am back and Ulfeg is trying to bring the theives together, in his own crude way, so we can move out. By the way this meet Ulfeg keeps referring to is a place in a secretive place near the borders of Ithilien.

All,

How exactly are we to end this RP. Are we all to collaborate on the conclusion?

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 01-14-2003, 03:32 PM   #150
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Just to be really b*tchy and ruin your plans, Oro... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

We started out in Edoras, right? And then we've been going East ever since. Right?
So now my question is, how (and why) are we going to Isengard which is to the NW of Edoras, when we've been heading for Mordor all the time?
Has there been a change of plans that I've missed? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #151
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Our characters are disobeying orders by following, I know, but we discussed it at length in PM and decided that it would fit in with both characters to disobey orders. And I'm here! And 60% done with my exams! Woo-hoo!
Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 AM   #152
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Finished with exams, but now I have to grade them. *sigh* I wish I had more time.

I hope to have time around the 19th and the 20th, but I am not counting on it. If I am not posting, please make my character do something cool but not out of character. *sigh* I would appreciate it greatly if you don't kill Corrin yet, or anything.

But if the story calls for it . . . *sigh*
Old 01-16-2003, 12:29 PM   #153
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

1420!

Bethberry, I've replied to your PM. The dates work well for me too.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #154
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Bethberry: while I will not be on for an extended time then (I am never online for an extended time...3-4 hours at most), I will be able to finish out a lot, as I am all done taking my midterm exams (luckily, I don't have to grade stuff). I am all yours until finals start (then I will be just as joyous to talk to as I was around here...watch yourself...).

Deorlin: we may have to speed up our running after the others...
Old 01-18-2003, 12:21 PM   #155
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Uhm.... people? Where did you all go?
I'm looking for some thieves here...
Old 01-18-2003, 03:46 PM   #156
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Deorlin: Yay! You did a fine job with Izrênna! Don't underestimate yourself! Now it's your turn with internal thoughts while you gaze into the fire...

All: So, as we are finishing up tomorrow and the day after that, I take it that Deorlin and Izrênna will not catch up? Or will we meet you guys on the way back, or find your dead corpses, or something equally as joyous? Because Deorlin and I have decided that we are coming after you tomorrow. Tell us if there is any special way you want us to end our part of the story...
Old 01-19-2003, 12:19 AM   #157
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm going to echo Vanima's inquiry as to what the two of us should do - keep posting with our plan to pursue you, or wait til one or more of the other 'pursuers' posts as to what is happening to them?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:33 AM   #158
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Here's a general layout which we can all discuss.

There will be an overwhelming force come to claim the stolen horses, a force which surprises even the horse thieves. Both groups, thieves and pursuers, are defeated.

How does everyone want to handle this specifically? Shall the pursuers catch up with the thieves and engage with them, only to be overwhelmed by this other force, or should the force deal with the thieves, and then turn upon the pursuers, who finally arrive? Do you want to get a fight in between the two groups?

Vanima and Deorlin, you can choose when and how your characters wish to arrive. The only stipulation is that, alas, you cannot save the day.

Kiara has been ill and unable to post, but she will be starting us on the conclusion. Lugbúrz will provide the coup de grace but there won't be anything particularly merciful about it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What else is there to plan?

Bethberry
Old 01-19-2003, 06:34 AM   #159
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Boots

Dear Riders to the Dark Side,

Something must be said about the routes and a rather "loose" management of the geography surrounding the pursuit. Bear with me for being a little critical here but pio was correct to point out concerns early on. Unfortunately none replied to her question "Where are you going from there?", or at least I wasn't able to spot a reply, and from the RPG, it is not clear either.

Let me start from the beginning:

1. (Minor) If the journey began in Edoras, the issue of crossing the Snowbourne does not enter the framework. I'm assuming this was an erroneous inclusion due to some confusion? Or maybe they did this to be more clandestine and also confuse the trackers. In that case, good job. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

2. (This is one quite harmless) but I was curious: Oro you mention in your first post traveling 'east' with the White Mountains on your left... Where are you? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

3. (Major) The problematic thing in the story is where does one cross the Anduin? The Great River was well guarded in these years, and presents the strongest line of defense to Gondor on the East.

Taking the last point into consideration, and the fact that the quest has not resolved these issues as the Anduin has not been reached yet, I am taking some liberties in my post to add to the story, iron out these logistical issues, address pio's questions and provide a more robust route for the horses.

Please bear with me for this. I am going to post soon, as I will not have the time to post later.

Kiara,

I will send you a PM after my post. I trust you have had the time to discuss things with Bethberry.

All,

It was a pleasure to read the game. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:37 AM   #160
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Boots

Good Morning Fair Bethberry.

Does this bring back memories? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here's to in-sync posts in the wee hours. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I raise my glass to you, O Wise One.