User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 AM   #161
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

So, Kiara is sick. I hope she feels better soon. Best not to trouble her with details.

Bethberry, should I wait and let all the players demarcate the route, or should I take that into my hands?

I'm hoping I can post over the weekend, otherwise the week ahead seems like a full one.

Lug
Old 01-19-2003, 07:11 AM   #162
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Greetings indeed, Lugbúrz. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have been PMing people about the geography and we have been planning in chat; I'm sorry you can't make it to chat. We were expecting to cross the Anduin around Osgiliath, taking the Morgul Road to Minas Morgul. Neither thieves nor pursuers should have realized that crossing the water was a mistake.

Oro has indeed been most remiss. We should send him to The Shire, where Pio will correct his geography. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I have Kiara's post, which I have now posted on the game thread.

Lug, feel free to include these directions here in your posts. If you don't, I will later today append my post which has Kiara's entry to the game, to force march both groups towards the Morgul Road.

Bethberry

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-19-2003, 08:13 AM   #163
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

I see. I did not expect the chase to go so far south before crossing the Anduin.

This only presents more problems. Osgiliath, though in ruins wasn't free to pass for the enemy. It was held strong until the War of the Ring. The Anduin represented an ultimate defense in Gondor that was not breached right until the War of the Ring, when Osgiliath fell (the crossings fell a year prior to the War of the Ring, until when Gondor had full control and a very good watch on it, even then they held the near end of city right uptil the Batlle at the Pellenor) and so did Cair Andros.

Are you expecting the group to cross in extreme stealth despite such enemy territory?

Might I suggest an alternate path into North Ithelien, safely north near the mouths of the Entwash?

I just read Kiara's post. Very well written, but I believe her view of the 'bridge' is a little simplistic. There was no free passage. Can someone check this out?

I've decided to post tomorrow due to the uncertainity.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #164
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Dear Lug,

I don't quite understand where the difficulty lies for you, unless you think it would be too difficult for the pursuers and the thieves to cross over into the eastern side. I am not asking your group to cross the Anduin. But then Oro's posting of contrary directions to Isenguard has thrown all of the writers for the horse thieves, who no longer understand where they are. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Here's the scenario:

1. The horse thieves themselves are not aware of who ultimately organized the theft of horses. They are heading south along the rivers (Entwash and then Anduin) solely in order to avoid the Great West Road. They think their ultimate destination is Minas Tirith or there abouts. Thus, crossing earlier into North Ithilien would not make sense to them.

2. There was to have been a double cross, with the new leader then surreptitiously taking the horses towards Minas Morgul via the environs of Osgiliath. This new thief would himself then be done in by the Nazgul.

3. Neither Nazgul nor Sauron would cross west over the Anduin. All of their action would take part east of the Anuin.

4. The pursuers are also equally astounded that the trail heads east at Osgiliath. As they try to follow the new leader of the thieves, they are overcome by the Nazgul.

5. Kiara's post was intended to introduce her character/s and create atmosphere only. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]: I don't see that her description of the bridge at this point is a problem.

Bethberry
Old 01-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #165
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

A warning for all horse thieves.

If I have heard nothing from you by tomorrow noon (late afternoon my time. It's now 9pm my time) your character will meet a terrible end.
Bethberry has given me her blessing in doing so and I will only be following "orders". [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 01-19-2003, 03:14 PM   #166
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aich. Sorry all, I havent had much time to go on the internet for any amount of time; Im sorry. I will post as soon as I can, but am buried under large piles of Art and It coursework. bear with me please.

No! Maika, please, dont kill Kane...
Old 01-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #167
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Bethberry,

Yes, I see a problem in crossing near Minas Tirith through Osgiliath. This seems both impossible and unrealistic.

They will die at the hands of Gondorians before they cross the river. I would suggest crossing by an arranged boat way up north on the borders of Gondor.

And, Maika, what exactly do you mean by 'meet a terrible end'? Are you writing this down? Now I'm even more confused... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2003, 03:51 PM   #168
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*Facepalms* Oi vey, no worries, Bethberry, I hate Mary-Sues and situations in which they appear more than I hate teeny-boppers...and that hatred runs deep.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:59 PM   #169
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Er... sorry for the unexcused abscence. I just felt 'left-out-of-the-loop' and what-not. As a note, I don't mind if people aproach my character and say or do something. I wouldn't bite your character's head off if they said something to me without consulting me first. Just so long as you don't kill me or my child (in this case) or cut one of my limbs off, I'll probably be okay with it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

However, in acordance to one of Bethberry's posts, I suppose I'll be planning a death scene for Sadiya anyways. Ho-hum.

If I'm still welcomed in the RP, please just tell me if there's anything you want my character to do or say. Sorry for the period of abscense.

Sadbh
Old 01-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #170
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Sorry, Deorlin, I just had to push things along a tad...

Sabh: If it was up to me, you'd be in, but I'm not in charge, so...Bethberry? What do you say? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2003, 09:12 PM   #171
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

So little time left, so many loose ends. *shakes head*

Sadbh, yes, you are still in the game but your character will not survive. If you wish, the child can survive. Ćlfritha will take her back to Edoras. Remember for future RPGs that you can always take discussions to PMs to clarify points. Maika was expecting people to PM her with ideas; that would have been a better course.

Vanima and Deorlin, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Varda, you said at the start your character can die, so I assume that will be the case.

Gryphon Hall and Estel, you two can work out your characters' own futures, in accord with what Estel has PMed me.

Lug, all the more reason why so many of the participants here are doomed. No one is ready for or expects the consequences; this campaign reflects the start of the years of increasing difficulty for the people of Rohan. No one understands the nature of the evil which they face or the various factions. If you have made plans which this scenario disturbs, PM me to see what can be salvaged.

Maika was facing a situation where she was the sole thief and had to carry many characters, position them in different ways. This is what her comments refer to, Lug. You will provide the situation which will cause the deaths, but each gamer will have the right to post his or her own death scene.

Everyone, Kiara and Lug are providing the excitement. I am expecting Oro to do the double cross, but his character is toast also.

Bethberry

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #172
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Greetings Bethberry.

It shouldn't disturb anything I had in mind. I was more concerned about how and where the group is to proceed. As of yesterday the story seemed stranded far away from Minas Tirith.

I still say that the deathblow is more likely to bet met at the hands of Gondor than from Mordor.

Could you tell me how the Easterlings crossed the Anduin in the first place to enter Rohan? Maybe I'll be able to sit down with a map and reconcile this route, but for now I have a feeling that they could not have crossed into the western bank at Osgiliath when they came towards Rohan to steal.

I'll be waiting for the thieves to fill in their "saves". I assume that I will be able to post on Tuesday.

All,

If any player would like to handle their death individually, you will have a chance to do this after I have played my part. Do not self-distruct without my appearance. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

------------
In utter chaos lies impeccable symmetry.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:38 AM   #173
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

I'm here. Don't know if I made your deadline or not. (bloody time differentials) While I'm perfectly happy to die, and rather plan on it, I'd like to;
A) Take control of the group again, since I only got in one post before being injured, and
B) Be all better, so as to at least put up a fight before going down. I'm putting in a post now, that has me be a bit more recovered than people are realizing.

I'm taking control again, so as to have some reason for my ultimate assasination (no real reason for Bethberry's double cross when there is no real leader [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Feel free to assasinate me, but remember that this is a large, manly dude. I'd like to get in a few licks before biting it, if that's OK. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 01-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #174
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Deadline? Gah. Well, I'm happy enough to die, but seeing as I'm snowed under by homework and exam stuff, I have limited time to post. I'll do my best to post tonight, though.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:42 PM   #175
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

There you go. Sorry about the delay, Ive had alot of work like I said. Cause a little rivalry in the ranks there...
Old 01-20-2003, 04:22 PM   #176
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

It is great to see everyone coming back and getting excited about wrapping the game up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]Good recent posts!

Because we are coordinating a conclusion with so many different people, here is a timeline for the scenario.

1. I will post to get us closer to Osgiliath since no one else has. There will be stealth and deception in our movements, but our entrance into Gondor is aided by the fact that there are traitors there who have been prepared by Oro's character. Treat this fact as a given rather than as an opportunity for extensive development.

2. Gormel is expecting to find his boss in Minas Tirith, but instead he is challenged/ double-crossed by Oro's character, who has secret contacts to get the horses across the Anduin. How the thieves play out the double cross is up to them, as long as at least some of them get to the boats. Lots of opportunity for hand to hand combat, derring do and further deceit. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

3. The pursuers arrive in time to see the boats head out across the river. How the pursuers play out this part is up to them. Some of them might catch the boat; others fight on land with the thieves if they wish. A hurried second negotiation can ensue for a second boat. Again, lots of opportunity for struggle and initiative. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

4. The boats dock on the east side of the river, where everyone is overwhelmed by what meets them.

5. The horses are lost to Kiara's characters who are in league with Lug's character.

6. Ćlfritha does not make it across the river, but is so overcome by the events that she recognizes defeat and leaves to return to Edoras.

This RPG is an interpretation, Lug, of what happens when people are not expecting the depths of evil which ensues. It is a study in the discovery of evil. It is also a short RPG. The only caveat is that no one can return home with any specific information which would challenge or change events as they are set out in The War of the Ring.

If anyone has questions about how to play out their role or character, feel free to PM me or work out things with each other in PM.

Bethberry
Old 01-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #177
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

A clarification of the treachery in Gondor would have made things clearer. At the point when I was planning to post, the story was stuck near the Entwash with no hint of where and how the crossing was to be accomplished.

Things are much clearer now that you have let me in on this information.

The end is forthcoming...

--------------
In utter chaos lies impeccable symmetry.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:35 AM   #178
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Sting

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Bethberry,

I think it is going to take quite a while before all the points you mentioned are implemented in word, and until then my appearance is rather impossible.

Could you perhaps send me an e-mail when the time is ready, since I'll most likely be posting well beyond the 20th framework? I'm going to be busy rest of the week writing a journal paper, so I'm hoping I'll still manage the time to make my post.

I'll check in once tomorrow evening.

Yours,
Lug.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:45 PM   #179
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Sorry I was not here yesterday: RL obligations came up fairly suddenly.

Anyway, as it seems I have not missed a tremendous amount, what I was thinking still fits in.

As it seems that we are going to fail this mission, it might be better if Aelfritha met up with Izręnna and Deorlin on the way back. They are too late (thus more than one part of the mission failed: they failed to catch up with the company in time), and have to travel back to Edoras, somewhat shamed that they did not catch up in time to aid the group.

Deorlin: Tell me what you think about that. We can work out the details in PM some more. If you want, maybe Deorlin's wounds could get worse again, putting him in fatal condition (maybe dying). That is completely up to you, of course, but I'm just thinking through my fingers here. They should be fairly close to catching up with the group, but just missing their goal, ultimately failing in their quest to find the others.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:05 PM   #180
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Maika- What are you planning for this little standoff? Obviously, if Gormel is about to die, I probably shouldn't post again. Also, are you planning to resolve it? (i.e. should I delete my save?)

Thanks
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 01-22-2003, 12:10 AM   #181
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Garen, the idea I had was turned a little since Aman got to the posting before me, and it seems there are a few errors between your posts that needs to be solved. I'm waiting for a response from Aman to see where she's going with this. It wasn't my intention to let Gormel die now. He hasn't suffered quite enough, has he? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #182
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

I dont know, I was leaving it up to you. Do you want to die? Otherwise, someone might come between us. Just dont kill Kane.

Do you have a death wish?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:33 PM   #183
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anyone notice that I mistakenly re-posted my post yesterday? Oh man is it infuriating to be sick: absolutely no control over how I feel, trying to catch up, and nearly hallucinating at the same time....Please forgive my inability to be reached up to this point....Thanks Bethberry for posting my entry to the story. Hope you are all well and ready for the end....

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Old 01-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #184
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Hope you get well soon hun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 09:58 PM   #185
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

I have no particular desire to die at this moment, no. Maika, feel free to intervene.

Otherwise, I'll write a post that deals with Gormel getting slashed and Kane taking a spearpoint to the ribs. Aman, unless you can think of a reason for Kane not to kill Gormel, I'll have to damage your character. I can't see any other way around this standoff. I won't kill him, but unless he's hurt, there's no way he would keep from killing Gormel. Also, would you mind editing your last post? That reference to Bhurthnin is confusing our dear Maika, I think. It's confusing me as well. Certainly your young, brash Kane can find another excuse for trashtalking and slapping around the old fogey Gormel, no? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2003, 03:07 PM   #186
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

lol Im sure that could be arranged. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

If Rhana was to intervene, Kane wouldnt kill Gormel.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:12 PM   #187
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

I'll be right on it. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

But beware! You may be dealing with a turn-coat...

DRAT!!!! I had almost finished my post when my puter suddenly re-booted all by itself. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Don't have time to make another new one now. It'll have to wait. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 01-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #188
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Oh ouchie, I know the feeling. Well, whenever.

Turncoat?! No, thats my role in games! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 02:42 PM   #189
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

C'mon, All, to quote Mithadan, all good things must come to an end. And so must Ride, despite the fun which several of you seem to be having with your subplots. Too much emphasis on them and the main plot is lost.

The two groups are in position for the final events. All subplots need to be finished by Saturday, January 25 and events moved forward. I will be expecting to see Kiara and Lug post and missing gamers as well. Thieves, conclude your double cross now. Anglachel, move your character into his destiny.

Posts need to follow the general outline above: the thieves catch a barge onto the river, various pursuers follow them. Darkness falls--oh, wait, back, back, wrong realm. Retreat, XFiles, I say, rereat.

Bethberry

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #190
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

I would post, Bethberry, but I don't want to double-post.

Where is everyone, anyway? Did Faramir break out of role, becoming a really annoying, closed-minded hypocrite, kidnapping and stealing everyone from the RPG, then trying to take the ring from Frodo, thus not being book Faramir and being a big meanie-head?

Oh...sorry about that [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . Well: if you can lapse into X-Files, I can rant about the movie...

Anyway: post people!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:07 PM   #191
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

I tried to recover as much of my post as possible from memory, but with MY memory, that's almost impossible!
I think I got about half of it, not much I know, but it should give you something to work with, Garen.

If not, PM me and we'll work something out, ok?

My puter's still messing up really badly. It keeps re-booting and crashing and sometimes I'm only able to be on-line for 2-5 minutes before it shuts down, so....
The "verdict" says new CPU so I won't make any promises until the problem's fixed, but I'll do my best to try and be here to get this finished.

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:39 PM   #192
Anglachel
Animated Skeleton

Anglachel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Once we passed the the 20th, so passed my time available for writing, which is why that was set initially as a date on which this RPG was to culminate. Hence, now that that deadline has come and gone unheeded, I am useless to you now as a character. I'll have one more post to determine the destiny of Anglachel once Lug/Kiara make their posts, and then I'm back to the anticipated drilling of RL that we all have to deal with at times.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:44 AM   #193
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

I cant post until Maika does.

*sulks* I like sub plots...
Old 01-25-2003, 07:27 AM   #194
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Sting

Well, if you're feeling bored, Aman, I suppose you could go ahead and edit out that reference to Bhurthnin in your last post.(Die! Die! Stupid horse, why won't you... Oh. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

I like subplots too. And we were just getting to the interesting part, where Sadbh reveals that her child is really the heir of Slytherin, destined to rule all the band, and our young hero Kane, troubled by the death of his father, learns something which will change his life forever... All this and more on the next episode of "All my Horse-Thieves."
Old 01-25-2003, 07:31 AM   #195
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Oops, sorry. Going
Old 01-25-2003, 03:07 PM   #196
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Deorlin? You there? At all? We kind of have a story to finish...

Quote:
her child is really the heir of Slytherin
Gah! I keep thinking Harry Potter each time to say that word: Slytherin!
Old 01-25-2003, 09:08 PM   #197
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Maika, if it helps any, perhaps you could write your posts in Word or WP and email them to me. I could insert them where needed.[bethberry@barrowdowns.com].

Garen, there is always the possibility of squels and prequels for RPGs. I love subplots too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Great work, All.

Bethberry
Old 01-26-2003, 10:23 AM   #198
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

Dear Everyone!

I'm back. . . sort of. My Dad's fine now but he's still weak: I still have to take up some of his work.

I'll be saving a post later. I still have to read a lot of the posts both in the Discussion and the RPG before I could actually write anything.

Thanks all for playing my 'characters', especially Vanima Edhel and Gryphon Hall.

Vanima

Quote:
"Thank the Vala he is alive," Izręnna whispered, touching the man's face. She suddenly remembered those around her, "Help me move him!" she shouted.
"Does he live?" Beowulf asked.

"Aye, but just barely," Corrin said in a serious tone from where he stood, "We should get him back to the others immediately. Let us help the girl lift him."

The group hefted the heavy man onto Izręnna's horse, and Izręnna boosted herself up behind him. The other two stood a ways off and spoke quietly for a moment, Izręnna knew not what about, then they came and mounted up.

"Let us go back to camp," Beowulf said, "We must give Deorlin aid."
Thank you very much! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gryphon

Quote:
Wanna bet, thought both Béowulf and Léod.
My characters, being from Rohan, would not actually use, um, 'hobbit lingo'. But what the hey! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] They probably said something to that effect in their minds. Thanks bro!

Bethberry

Quote:
Ćlfritha rode next to Malienna and Maikadurion, in single file, followed by Currin, Estel, and Anglachel in the rear.
It's Béowulf. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Anyway, thank you very much for keeping my characters alive and active.

Well, I'll be doing some reading and will find a way to make a good post!

Hennaid evyr!
Estel
Old 01-26-2003, 11:28 AM   #199
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
And we were just getting to the interesting part, where Sadbh reveals that her child is really the heir of Slytherin, destined to rule all the band, and our young hero Kane, troubled by the death of his father, learns something which will change his life forever... All this and more on the next episode of "All my Horse-Thieves."
lol, didnt see that the first time around. LMAO!
Old 01-26-2003, 03:55 PM   #200
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Estel: No problem! Happy to look after Beowulf! He is easy to manage and doesn't fuss too much. I'd be happy to babysit again!

And I Private Messaged Deorlin asking where, in the name of Manwe, he's hiding.