Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting THE LONELY STAR (Contd. from BD birthday party)

OOC - Thought I'd pull up the new thread. Decided to use the more general name of the ship rather than the hobrim, in case we run two adventures on this thread as we did last time.

So far we've got:

our ship: "The Lonely Star"

our banner: that of Earendil which Mith mentioned?? (Sounds good to me)

our hobrim: "Kali"

I still think it would be interesting to keep the Westron "Tarkil" as Tali's last name, since this does mean "descendent of Numenor" (see Appendix F), that is if we end up time travelling there. Of course, we wouldn't even learn about his last name until we're trying to figure out the documents, oral history, etc which will send us in that direction. It could be a "clue" as to Kali's familial past.

Pio -- Are you thinking of the Westron stem "trah" which has to do with creeping through a hole? I don't think either tar or kil has that meaning although I could have overlooked something.

Will post later this evening.

sharon
Old 07-01-2002, 02:30 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC: Here is a link to Emblems and Heraldry from Tolkien's works. The device for Earendil is listed under The Hildor: Edain of the First Age. It will fit in well with the Lonely Star as name of the ship.

Device Here

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-22-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:57 PM   #3
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOh, that will work great.

Gosh alot has happened since the party begain. I you don't mind I would like to just go over what happened. (mostly to refreash my memory)
First there was the conspiricy with ransom money for the REG. The REG went wierd and we ended up at the mercy of Morgoth. There was a battle in which we got the REG back and Morgoth was forever imprisoned in a trash can (we hope). After the battle while I was possessed by the REG and Mithadan made his dramatic but short apperance. A set of battles and problems went on till a final fight in which I had freed myself from the REG and Mithadan came back with a new improved REG. I felt guilty so when an elven ship came supposedly taking those who wished to the Western lands I imeadialy got on it followed closely by most of who was left from the party. On the ship some of us begain to get a longing for the blessed lands untill we relized that the ship was heading east. We over came the spirit who was controlling the boat. Then we went after the Blue Wizards. Me and Mith got past enemy lines with different results. There was alot of trouble with hostages and bait and Mith being a "traitor." Then the wizards were defeated by Mith's deception, Pio's hollywood style scene and Birdie's boat eating worms. We set a course for home with Mithadan ill only to have me with others being dragged underwater by a hobrim. We were "rescued" and returned to the ship with our new friend who wants us to help him find his lost family. So we're heading up the Adruin(sp?) to find some answers. um.........on with the show.

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 07-01-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, that sounds about right. Just a day in the life of your standard M-E inhabitant.

Quote:
There was a battle in which we got the REG back and Morgoth was forever imprisoned in a trash can.
For some reason, that just struck me as hysterical. "Time to take out the trash!" LOL!

OK, on with the show!

So who wants to conduct the "christening ceremony" for "Lonely Star"?!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<<will omeone plz tell me what has been going on here? I've been away, and i have no idea what has happend>>
Old 07-01-2002, 08:11 PM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The story takes up here. You can view the old thread to catch up, but it has been closed to new posts.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:58 AM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara flew down from her perch on the mast, toward the waves on the starboard side of the elven ship. She landed delicately on the prow of the small boat that Pio and Bird had been lolling about in, waiting for the rest of the ship's company to make a decision about the next step in their journey.

Bird lay back against a cushion placed against the stern of the small skiff and trailed the fingers of her left hand lazily in the lapping water. Her right arm was thrown across her eyes to shade them from the sun. She was humming an unrecognizable, but interesting tune.

The elf sat near the prow, using her small knife to carve a likeness of the merman from a piece of driftwood. He was resting on his crossed arms on the side of the boat, his lower torso still in the water, gazing dreamily at her.

'So, Levanto,' said Pio intent on fleshing out his features in the greyed wood with her knifepoint, 'do you think you'll come with us when we leave, or where might you go?'

He sighed, and then said in a breathy voice, 'I couldn't possibly leave you; we've barely gotten to know each other!'

Bird snorted and nudged him with her foot, throwing him off balance. The boat rocked energetically from his floundering, causing Pio to cut her finger. She put it in her mouth and jammed her tongue against it to stanch the flow of blood.

'Are you creatures done being silly?' asked Angara, who had gone quite unnoticed by the three.

'What can we do for you, Angara?', asked Pio, who had now immersed the still bleeding digit in the salty water hoping to close the wound.

'I've come to tell you that the ones on deck have come to a decision & request your presence.'

'Presence for what?', said Bird lazily, not relishing the thought of moving from her comfortable position.

'Something about a name,and a christening.', returned the dragon.

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-02-2002, 07:27 AM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

All were gathered on the deck of the Elven vessel, a sense of anticipation swelling all hearts. All debate was ended, and the course had been set.

Of all the strange adventures that the shipmates had faced, they felt that this one was the most important, the most blessed. For they went not to battle, but to reunite a people, and to bring the races of Middle Earth together in a journey of discovery and hope.

But one thing remained to be done before they set sail. Idril and Tuor had insisted on it. A new name for the ship.

Idril stepped forward, and held her arms out ot all assembled. "Today we go to a gathering, seeking not wealth or battle - though both may come to us - but knowledge and long-lost kinfolk.

But before we depart, our vessel will guide us on a new journey, with a new name. And all here have agreed to a name that is dear to my heart, and will bring the blessing of my own lost kin-folk to our endeavor."

And with that she handed a vessel of miruvor to the small sea-hobbit, Kali. Kali carried the vessel to the bow of the ship, and slowly poured the glowing elixir over the top and sides of the uplifted prow. Then stepping back, he cried, "We name you, O' ship, "The Lonely Star", in honor and memory of Eärendil the Mariner, and we ask him to guide and help us.

Then he turned with a smile, and raising his arms, recited part of a poem that Child had taught him, (with some minor changes):

Day is dawning, light my eyes,
but journey long before me lies.
Welcome, friends! We hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey;
beyond the sunrise leads my way.
Foam is salt, the wind is free;
I hear the rising of the Sea.

Then Mithadan and the Elven folk stepped forward, an raised a new sail upon the mast. And Lo! the company beheld a glowing 6-pointed star, surrounded by an arc of Elven Blue with star-rays of mithril, and the four compass points surrounding all. The wind filled the sail and the star danced. "The Lonely Star" responded with a leap like a deer. The journey had begun.

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-02-2002, 07:42 AM   #9
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC -
OH NO, BIRD --We posted at the same time. I will revise mine later but have to run now.

LATER EDIT: OOC - OK, you know how two people see a car accident and report totally different things! We'll assume that's what happened here. One if from Bird's perspective, and the other from Child's. Bird, it's actually amazing how similar our posts are, especially the phial of liquid, when we had never discussed this!

As she climbed the ladder, Child could see her companions gathered together on deck. It appeared to be a beautiful morning. The clouds and light rainfall of the previous day had rolled back to reveal a bright blue sky and a soft breeze which played on the sails of the vessel. They no longer lay dead in the water, but were turning to the north, sliding through the waves towards the mouth of the Great River.

Rosseil and Celi, Bird and Pio and Veritas, and Lord Mithdan stood together chatting and watching the sea birds frolic. The reason for their play was evident. Rose had gathered leftover bread from breakfast and was tossing pieces into the air. Child went over to aid her efforts.

The birds were doing a display of acrobatics as they attempted to catch the crumbs in mid-flight. Every so often, Anagara would fly down and snatch up a piece, scattering the smaller flying creatures.

The little hobbrim sat at the hobbits' feet, laughing and pointing at the birds. He was beginning to trust them for he had just last night confided to Rose his "true" name, that which his own mother and father had called him. And it was a lovely, fair name, Child thought, one that sounded quite right for a small hobbit-- "Kali" -- a Westron name which meant, in English, "merry or gay".

The hobrim chortled as he gazed at the birds, "Kali like that. Kali do that for little fish at home. They like very much. Not bread but little green things that grow. I help the green things grow in the ocean."

Child immediately noted two things. First, Kali's English had improved but he was still not fluent. It was obvious that it was not his native tongue.

Child fixed on that idea. If she could find out which language or languages Kali spoke fluently as well as something about his speech patterns, perhaps it would help her figure out where his people had come from. She made a mental note to speak with the hobrim about this.

Something else caught her ear. The hobrim had mentioned making things grow. Was it possible that he and his parents had made hydroculture their chief occupation, just as her own ancestors had cultivated the soil of the Shire?

As Child stood wondering about the puzzle of Kali, Tuor and Idril had brought their vessel along side and had mounted the deck. The two went together to the front of the small assembly, hand in hand. Suddenly, all fell still.

In her arms Idril carried an embroidered banner of blue and white which she had made with her own hands. She handed it to Pio and asked her to scramble up the topmost mast and affix it there.

Idril turned to face the group and called up Kali and Rose to speak with them. "You two have come to us and asked that we bless your beloved ship and call it with the name by which it should be known to all the world. Tuor and I warmly applaud your desire, for no ship will truly be one with you until you reveal its proper name."

"And the little hobrim and Rose have declared that the true name of this vessel is "The Lonely Star". And you have all given your assent. For to the hobrim and his people, a guiding star above a ship's mast is always a sign of hope."

"And you, brought together on this ship through adversity and adventure , a band of true friends, should have great pride. For you bring hope to this little one who goes to search for distant kin.

And I, too, love this name The Lonely Star" for it reminds me of a poem spoken many years ago, by another little one, the hobbit Bilbo Baggins. And that poem tells how, for all of us, there must be a star to guide as we fight our way through the world, even to the very shores of the West."

"And so I say, through happiness and sadness, in sunshine and rain, may you be guided by The Lonely Star and may you love and support this beloved ship just as you have shown your faith to each other."

Child had always heard that people broke bottles when they named a ship, but Idril's way was apparently different. She leaned over and kissed the prow of the vessel and held up a phial filled with bright liquid. She handed the phial to Kali.

She contined, "This is water which Ulmo himself has blessed. It is the water of light. That water through which goodness truly shines."

And then Kali poured this sparkling, precious liquid onto the prow of the vessel. As he did so, he uttered a phrase which Child did not understand, but which she swore sounded like some form of Elvish.

[ July 02, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-02-2002, 07:57 AM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

O.C.C. - Oh, leave them both, the more ceremony the better. And I like the part about Kali's name, and feeding the fishes. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio had tied the banner securely to the main mast, and descended quickly back to the deck. Idril was just approaching the prow, a shimmering crystal phial in her hand, filled with radiant, silver light. Light, the color of a peaceful sea under starlight, poured down the prow of the ship and seemed to infuse into the very wood itself. It lay there sparkling softly, just beneath the surface.

She looked about her at the rapt faces of her companions, and wondered how each of them had seen this moment.

It was a little later in the day, when she approached Mithadan. He was sitting comfortably in a chair on the deck, in the shade of some stacked boxes. Angara was perched near him on one of the boxes, speaking amiably with him as it appeared, since he often laughed at some comment she had made.

The elf approached and greeted them both. The dragon looked at her expectantly. Pio shaded her eyes with her hand and looked across the water to where the catamaran ploughed through the waves, following them.

'What do you think we should do with the cat?' she asked of the man who had been the trireme's original captain. 'Do you think you might speak with the crew, and see if they want to accompany us. If not, then perhaps we should let them sail for home.'

Mithadan glanced toward the cat and then at Pio.

'Or perhaps I can talk to them, if you so desire.' she offered.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:24 AM   #12
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child, Rose, and Kali had insisted that there be a small feast or celebration after the blessing of the ship. For no hobbit would do a thing of such happiness without following it with bowls of food and mugs of ale. So later that afternoon they had set out a small party.

They had raided the stores of the ship which, thankfully, were plentiful. Kali had also brought up foodstuffs he kept inside his cave to augment their provisions. And the hobrim had great knowledge about the resources of the Sea, and what might be used to prepare food and drink.

Child saw a long table filled with platters of different fish and searooms, what appeared to be turtle soup, and a strange green water plant which turned out to be quite good. There was even something which tasted suspiciously like 'taters. Several of the Elves had also contributed the specialties of their own people.

Child had raided the last stock of beef on board to make pasties, a recipe which had been taught to her by a friendly dwarf who had worked in the mines. Pasties were traditional fare for miners, since they could be wrapped in cloth to stay warm and, it was rumored, even hurtled down the mine shaft, if someone had forgotten their lunch!It was quite true that pasties were generally made with freshly slaughtered meat rather than the smoked variety. But, on a ship, one couldn't complain.

Child smiled to herself. What a lovely lunch! Kali was proving to be a blessing in more than one way. Mealtime was definitely looking better with the benefits of Kali's knowledge and cooking as he had quickly assumed the role of chief foodgatherer and chef.

In truth, Kali sometimes reminded Child of her Uncle Bilbo who had such skill with food and matters of hospitality. How lonely he must have been, Child thought, with no other hobbits to fuss over and feed.

Child and Rose were enjoying themselves with the large spread on deck. They had both enjoyed several mugs of ale when Angara came over from where Mithadan was sitting.

Child slipped her arm around Angara's neck and whispered in her ear, "Child is very sorry for saying bad words to Angara, words that are not true. Angara is her own dragon, but a good friend to me."

Child offered the dragon a particularly large and succulent fish head. In response, Angara wound her scaly tail about Child's waist and gave her an affectionate nudge. They had made up their differences.

Child was surprised how truly happy she felt. But she also wondered whether they dare ask Angara about those strange riddles which were supposed to help lead them to the hobrim's kin.

She turned and looked at the dragon, "Dear Angara, you wouldn't want to tell me more about those riddles? Perhaps, give us a hint about that lovely riddle you asked the other day, or tell us one of the others you promised?"

The dragon had smiled, said nothing, bowed her head in respect, and gone over again to speak with Mithadan who was still seated on the deck.

Old 07-02-2002, 11:31 AM   #13
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Shading his eyes, Mithadan looked out over the sparkling waves at the catamaran. "I see no reason for the Cat to accompany us," he said. "We'll have to get them back to the correct Age though. Can you do that with the guidance crystal?" Pio nodded her assent. "I'll prepare a message and send it over with Angara if she will agree to this errand," he said.

"I'll do this task for you," purred the dragon. "But take care! I keep a tally of these little "favors". Do not put yourself too deeply in my debt."

Mithadan laughed and tossed the Wyrm a piece of cod which was caught daintily and devoured. The dragon licked its talons in cat-like fashion, then stretched its neck and looked over the bow. In the distance, land was, at last, visible.

"So we go to Minas Tirith?" growled Angara. "Waste of time."

"Well at least we can purchase some provisions," replied the man. "I for one grow tired of fish." The dragon's ears perked up at the mention of new varieties of food. "Anyway, without your wise advice, we have no other choice."

Angara preened herself briefly, then turned nonchalantly and faced Mithadan. "How can I offer my suggestions?" she purred. "You have not yet answered my riddle."

Mithadan reclined lazily in his chair. "Oh. That?" He stretched a bit. "The answer to your riddle wouldn't be the 'future' would it?"
Old 07-02-2002, 12:03 PM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara snorted, and laughed a deep dragon's laugh. Her eyes twinkled.

'Oh, not bad, not bad, my dear Man-child!' she chortled. 'But not exactly the word I was looking for.' She flew back to the laden table, preparing a raid on the plate of lovely looking pasties.

Mithadan put his hands on this thighs and exhaled in exasperation. The exacting preciseness of dragons was legendary.

Pio leaned down toward his ear, pretending to brush something off his shirt shoulder. 'It's an old elven riddle, Mith.' she whispered, keeping one wary on the wyrmlet. 'She gave you the answer when she asked it. It's a little closer than the word future. It comes directly after today, if you catch my meaning.'

Angara was looking at her with a considering gaze, a half-eaten pastie hanging from her teeth.

Pio stood up straight, and said a little louder, 'There we go, Mithadan! Just a bit of stray seaweed on your collar. I think I've gotten it off. No problem using the guidance crystal. I'll just get it from the Wheel shaft and make my way to the catamaran once Angara has brought them the message.'

Pio made her way toward the Wheel, stopping to fill a plate with the offerings of sea and land. Bless those dwarves for making such tasty packets she thought to herself.

Mithadan leaned back in his chair and watched Angara, smiling. He looked like the proverbial cat who had just gotten into the cream.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:41 PM   #15
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooc: So, a 'new' adventure opened, I like it. So we gonna find the family of Khali? If I got it right?
I am in for a new adventure, although I will not often be here [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. Lets see how it will work out [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Ow, I have to go, I'll edit it later.

[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Old 07-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #16
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan rose from his seat and sauntered over to Angara, who was greedily devouring her third pastie. He waited politely for her to finish, then spoke. "So my answer was close, but not exactly the word you are looking for? The answer is clearly not the past or yesterday or even today. But if it is not the 'future' then it must be something similar..... 'tomorrow' perhaps?"

Angara hissed with annoyance...
Old 07-02-2002, 03:45 PM   #17
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child was working on the deck a short distance away as she heard the interchange between Mithadan and Angara. She hid her smile and walked over to the two of them.

Child looked at the dragon.
"Well, Angara, beloved Angara, did you not promise that, should we guess your first riddle, you would honor us with a second one that may be of some use in our quest on behalf of the hobrim. Perhaps, you'd like to share that riddle with us now?"

Angara flew up to the tallest mast and sat atop the new banner, looking down at Child and Mithadan.

"I'll consider your request." she replied. "But in my own time."

The dragon turned and flew out to sea.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:19 PM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose was drinking more then was wise. She normally didn't drink much but her happiness had made her forget. It wasn't that she didn't like the drink but she would rather be alert then wasted. But today she had taken more then her fare share along with the exellent food. She reconized this and thought it best to go sit in a cabin belowdeck so she wouldn't cause any trouble. The first person she saw was Kali. He had become good friends with her and she trusted him.
"Kali?" the hobrim looked up at her. "Do you think you could escort me down to the lower deck. I feel queazy and don't trust myself to do it alone."
"I will help." he said and they made their way to the stairs Rose using Kali to guide her.
"I expect we shall like Minas Tirith. I have never met the men of Gondor but in the tales I've heard they are wonderfull people." Rose was burning with anticipation.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:52 PM   #19
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was a lovely evening. Child and Kali were going for a walk on the outer deck, watching the sunset.

The wind shifted slightly, and Pio, who was steering the vessel made a course correction. They had been going due north all day, but before they could approach the mouth of the Anduin, it would be necessary to sail west. She shifted the wheel, and had Birdland adjust the sails so the Star could catch the breezes to sail towards the west.

Suddenly, Kali looked up at Child with genuine terror in his eyes. "What happened? Ship sail West? Bad, very bad. Mother and Grandmother and all ancient ancestors tell Kali not to do."

The hobrim tore over to where Pio stood and literally tore the wheel out of her hand, trying with all his might to shift it back to its original position.

Child raced over and grabbed onto the hobrim. "No, Kali, no, you must let Pio pilot our vessel."

With all his strength the terrified hobrim tore himself out of the grasp of Child. His voice rose in anger:

"Ba kitabdahe! We must not go this way. Ship sink."

Child held the hobrim close in her arms. "No, no, Kali, we are fine. This is how we must go to find your people."

Kali backed down: "Ship still sail? No sink?"

Child continued, "Everything is fine. Come, let us go eat now." They turned to go below.

But, in her mind, she wondered, "What did 'Ba kitabdahe' mean?" Child had no idea of its meaning or even what language Kali had spoken.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:12 PM   #20
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

From an auspicious start, the voyage seemed to have taken some rather odd, irritating turns.

First there was Mithadan finally guessing the riddle, and the dragon's petty refusal to reveal the second riddle. She shook her fist at the golden wyrmlette as he went about his business, flitting across the waves away from the ship. "You are nothing but a cheater. Angara. We don't have time for your dragonish airs! Come back here and tell us that second riddle, you...you...salamandar!" But Angara flew on, though he turned his head back and blew a smoke-ring at Birdie. It came out in a very rude shape.

"Dragons!" muttered Birdie, "Bad enough that Eru had to give us cats. But then he had to top it with dragons."

Then there was the panic that Kali had displayed when he noted what direction the vessel was going. Birdie thought he understood that everyone was trying to help him, and hoped that he trusted his shipmates no to take him into deliberate danger. But his reaction to sailing to the West was surprising.

Birdie sought out Child, to ask if he had given further hints as to why he was so opposed to their course. "Do you think he remembers the Corsairs? I'm sure they sent many a ship to the bottom in their day, but their fleet was destroyed by King Elessar during the War of the Rings. There are no Corsairs now."

"I don't know", pondered Child, "I could see where the sinking of ships, and the death of the men on them, might frighten and sadden the Hobrim. But I can't see the Corsairs of Umbar attacking Hobrim, or even being aware of their existence."

And what he shouted at me: ' Ba kitabdahe!' What language is that? His own?"

I suppose we could ask the Elf-folk, or Levanto; if it is a sea-tongue." Birdie mused. "But Child, I think it is time we sat down with Kali and really asked him what he knows. 'Many tales' he says he knows, and he seems to think we know them, too. He doesn't offer much information, trusting us to know where to start and where to search. But we really don't know anything! We don't even know really why the Hobrim scattered and fled to the open ocean."

"We don't even know when all this happened. Kali could have been alone for years in his sea-cave. He may have even been a child when the Hobrim fled. And if that is the case..." Birdie stopped and looked down at her feet.

"What?" said Child, "What's wrong."

"If Kali was I child when all this happened, wouldn't someone have searched for him? Look!" Bird pointed out the porthole to the vast sea surrounding them. "There may be no other Hobrim out there to find."
Old 07-02-2002, 11:38 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child sat in the stern of the boat, hanging her legs out over the edge. She absently threw stones into the waters. To tell the truth, what Birdie had said sounded terribly accurate.

Why hadn't anyone searched for the little hobrim before now? Where were they? Just how long ago had he become separated from his Stoor cousins?

Child had tried to speak with Kali about the incident on deck, but he had simply refused to discuss the matter. Under his breath, he had whispered, "East good, north good, south good, but no go west. Azulada yes, adun no."

Child wondered what "azulada" and "adun" meant. She had no idea.

Child tried to ask Kali where he had learned these words or ideas. But he had looked into her eyes and shrugged his shoulders. Child thought she saw pain there too.

Child had then taken the strange phrases and shown them to everyone on board, hoping that they might be some obscure Elvish dialect which they would recognize. But everyone had looked at the words and merely shook their heads.

Perhaps, not quite everyone. Idril had read the words when Child came in and listened to the strange story of Kali's behavior. But, then, she had looked away. When she looked back at Child, there were tears in her eyes.

Idril whispered, "I can not aid you. For I am not permitted to interfere in the affairs of Middle-earth except under the direct command of my Lord Ulmo. As I have no such orders, you must find your way on your own."

As Child left the room, Idril called after her: "Not all things in this world can be mended, little hobbit. Remember that."

Child did not like the sound of that.

Child recalled that Uncle Bilbo had told her about the great libraries of Rivendell and Minas Tirith where you could find books of words for every language in the world. Perhaps, if she could find such a book, she would be able to figure out those words. Then she could track down the lost hobrim and find them.

Child took to following Kali around the ship, carrying a small paper and implement for writing. If a strange word came out of Kali's mouth, she had determined to write it down.

The plan, however, had not worked out so well. Kali was skillful at slipping away, and once he guessed Child was spying on him, he pulled inside himself and refused to speak.

One time, however, Child managed to crawl behind a barrel and watch as Kali stood on the deck. He threw his head back and looked up sadly into the sky. Child felt ashamed as she knew she was looking at something very private, but still she strained her ears to listen. "Ah, Gimilnitir, Avale. Nakh mano lomi. Ephalak idon Yozayon."

Child crept away into the night.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:20 AM   #22
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

After that incident, Child felt so guilty that she could barely look Kali in the face. This was not what she wanted. She went to his cabin and knocked on the door.

"Kali, it's Child. Please come talk to me, and I promise not to bother you again."

Very slowly the door inched open, and the hobrim's small head peered out. "Come in," he politely whispered.

Child hung her head, "I am sorry if I have bothered you with all my questions and spying. I was only trying to help, but this is not the right way to do it. I promise not to be so curious again, unless you would like to talk."

She leaned over and kissed his soft brown curls, much as she would her daughter or son. Tears began streaking down Kali's face.

"Yes, Kali very sad, Kali talk to Child, talk about stories."

"What stories?" Child whispered.

"The stories my mother and father, my nuphrat, told me. They are gone a long time." The little hobrim sighed.

"Your cousins" asked Child, "Did the stories say what your cousins looked like? Have you ever seen them?"

Kali shook his head, "I have never seen cousins, Mother and Father have never seen cousins, even grandmother and grandfather do not remember seeing them. Only remember poems. And strange words. The words Child wants to know about."

"Kali," Child countered. "Did your mother or father ever tell you what language these strange words come from?"

"No, no, they speak words lots, even more than Kali, but there is no special name for them. They are just the words my family has always spoken."

"Does anyone else in the Sea know or understand these words you speak?"

"No, no, only Kali and his family understand these special words. And I am sad because I no longer remember as many words as my nuphrat knew. So many, many words have left me, and I can not get them back. If I can find cousins, they will help the words return."

Child thought her heart would break when she heard that.

"Kali, can you teach me and my friends a few of these strange and beautiful words? Can you help us understand what they mean? Can you teach us some of the poems and stories? Together, we can try to remember these words and make them live again."

"Maybe so," he whispered, "Maybe Kali teach Child and Rose and Pio and Veritas and Bird and Mith. Maybe even teach Angara."

"Here is nice poem for Child to teach her friends:

Adun izindi batan taido ayyadda.
A straight road once went west,

Ido katha batina lokhi.
Now all roads are crooked.

"Much more to poem," Kali sighed, "but I do not remember."

Child hugged Kali to her side. "That is alright for we have made a start."
Old 07-03-2002, 02:54 AM   #23
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara had flown in a large arc and made her way back to the ship on the side opposite from where she had taken off. The sea breezes under her wings had cooled her off somewhat, but she still wasn't completely mollified. She spied Pio at the wheel and landed on the pillar to which its axel was bolted.

Pio tried to ignore her, but the dragon extended her neck and brought her head on a level with the elf's.

'You told him, didn't you?!' she hissed in a low voice.

'Who? What?' returned Pio, innocently. The sea was a little rougher than the day before, and holding the wheel to course was exacting and tiring.

'Mithadan, you half-witted half-elf! You told him the answer to my riddle!!'

'You've answered your own question,' said Pio, smiling at the dragon. 'I'm a half-wit, how could I possibly have known the answer to such a conundrum as you presented.'

'Admit it, you lembas munching stargazer!'

'Never!'said Pio, holding fast to her innocence.

Angara leapt from the pillar and knocked the elf flat on her back. 'Then I shall make you!' she said, and began to tickle Pio mercilessly with her claws.

The elf lay helpless, laughing and crying for mercy, while the wyrmlet danced on her ribcage.

The wheel spun wildly, and the ship turned crazily in a new direction.

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-03-2002, 06:21 AM   #24
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeaewen, who had resumed her perch on the mast, watched Pio, laughing silently. Never lie to a Dragon
The wind changed suddenly, and she saw the reason: The ships wheel was spinning crazily.
It would take them forever to regain their course.
"Pio! Pio!"
<<question of very minor importace: is Angara male or female?>>
Old 07-03-2002, 07:28 AM   #25
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC -- angara is a girl and she mercilessly tickles anyone who says she is a boy!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:09 AM   #26
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

0.C.C. - Whoops, I think I called her a "he" once, too. Hey! Cut that out, crazy wyrm! That tickles!...Heeeeeeeee.....Whooo-Hoooooo...quit that!......accck!!!
=================================
Birdie stumbled as the deck listed, and looking up saw the sails spill the wind and begin to flap crazily from an opposing breeze.

Then she saw the dragon Angara, holding Pio down and tickling the the half-elf unmercifully. Pio was half-laughing, half gasping, and kicking her legs futilely against the weight of the dragon.

"Would you two stop fooling around!" groused Birdie. "The ship is out of control. Angara, what were you thinking?"

Birdie waded through the tangle of dragon and elf wrestling on the deck and tried to grab the spinning wheel. The ship rolled and pitched as stray winds tried to fill the sails first one way, then another.

"That fool dragon acts as if she doesn't want us to succeed. What is she up to?" worried Birdie.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:34 AM   #27
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child stood at a distance watching the melee. Bird managed to grab hold of the wheel and, once again, had the ship on course steering west.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:39 AM   #28
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

A question posed in Child's head which she could not shake. Was it true that Angara did not wish for them to succeed? Child found that hard to believe, and, yet, the evidence was clear. The dragon refused to discuss the mysterious riddle which would help them unlock the door to Angara's past.

And now she had seized upon a way to distract Pio and try tosend her off in another direction.

"How strange," Child mused. Both Kali and Anagara are reluctant to continue on this road." Perhaps, their reasons were the same, or perhaps they were totally different. Child did not know.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:46 AM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The assault on her ribs had come to a halt with Bird's words. Pio and Angara felt the ship pitching crazily beneath them; the masts and sails dipping in a crazy manner above them.

The elf jumped to her feet and ran to help Bird hold the wheel. It took both their strengths to bring the ship round to the right course. Pio hooked the rope loop to the wheel spoke, and locked in the position of the wheel. Celeaewen readjusted and secured the sails to catch the wind. Soon the ship was sailing smoothly again in the direction of Minas Tirith.

Breathing deeply, from the exertion, they turned and leaned back against the wheel to catch their breath.

They looked toward Angara just in time to see her turn a bilious shade of green and deliver the contents of her stomach, pieces of fish and undigested pasties, onto the deck.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:17 AM   #30
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: Veritas is gone on holiday for a bit, but said I could write her into the story.

Veritas ran up the steps to the wheeldeck to see if she could help. She arrived just in time to see the dragon overtaken by the motion of the ship.

Pio and Bird looked just on the verge of telling the sorry wyrm that she had gotten exactly what she deserved, but Veritas cut them off with a look.

She went to the dragon, whose color had returned to its normal, albeit paler, shade of gold and picked her up in her arms. Holding her close, she whispered a few calming words to the small beast.

Approaching the two at the wheel, she admonished them for their words and actions toward Angara.

'Have you no regard for this Venerable Wyrm!', she said. 'This Agéd & Most Wise Creature was here long before any of us first drew breath. We owe her our respect and our courtesy.' Her eyes twinkled at the two.

Angara revelled in Veritas' words. Here finally was an elf who understood her.

Pio and Bird took their cue and bowed deeply to the dragon, making apology for their conduct. Pio asked in her most humble manner if the Great One might see fit to help them now on their quest, before these poor benighted companions wandered off willy-nilly through the ages and into unknown waters and were lost beyond all hope.

Angara dipped her head toward the two, like royalty acknowledging her subjects.

'Come, Angara,' said Veritas to her, 'let us go down and see if we can find something to settle your stomach.'
Old 07-03-2002, 11:09 AM   #31
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan grabbed the rail as the ship began to pitch and roll. He looked up to the helm to Angara apparently mauling Piosenniel. At length Birdland seized the wheel and the Lonely Star came about and settled. The lyrics of David Byrne came to mind abruptly: 'We're on the road to nowhere...'

He glared up at the dragon and began dreaming of barbeque again...
Old 07-03-2002, 12:00 PM   #32
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Idril had crossed over to the Star to speak with Child and Mithadan. Everywhere, there was confusion. Bird and Pio were attempting to control the helm which had broken loose again. Rose was cleaning up the billious pool which Angara had deposited on deck. And Veritas cradled the dragon in her arms as she led him away.

Kali stood by, whispering, "I, Kali, knew ship did not want to sail west.! Stories tell. Bad things happen."

Idril shook her head, and went over to Child and Mithadan.

"Child, look at me. Do you understand what is happening? Look within and say." Child looked up, and then said, "It is as if the ship itself feared to continue, as if she holds some secret warning for us."

"And, the dragon Angara, everyone believes she is stubborn, but I think not. I have looked in her eyes. Angara fears much. She is afraid where we go. One time, I heard her whisper that she fears to meddle in the affairs of the Valar or of Eru."

Idril bent down, and looked Child in the face. "And you, Child, are you afraid? For some fear is wisdom, rather than folly."

Child replied, "I am still uncertain where we travel, but part of me does fear. Last night, I dreamed and saw a vision."

"It showed things I do not understand. For we follow a perilous path but one of great worth. And this dream said that the hobrim's cousins must be rescued from a terrible fate, and it was right for us to do so."

"But the dream carried warnings. First, that the evil sleepers under the falling hills must not be awakened, for they sleep until the Day of Doom. And secondly, we must creep in and out like the small hobbits that we are. Just as Bilbo and Frodo did, we must go in silence and stealth, for none of the great ones, especially the lord of evil, must be given warning about the existence of hobbits or hobrim.

"For, since the Music itself began, it was decreed that hobbits be a silent folk. And should that silence be broken, great wrong would come. For no Ringbearers could have stolen quietly into Mordor and there would have been no saving of the world."

"My dream.....the vision said if we tangle with the web of time, we may pull a thread we do not know. And we must guard against that, even if we see sadness that tears at our hearts. For some sadness was woven into the world by the Valar and Eru. And it must be so for the greater good. Only the Stoors may we rescue."

Idril continued, "Child, you may go now, for I must speak with him who controls your vessel. But, promise me, you will try to follow the path laid out in your dream. For, if you do, the ship shall sail true, and your dragon's heart will laugh again. For she is old and wise and undersands these perils better than you."

"I promise," Child whispered, and she left.

"And now, Mithadan, you and I must speak. Do you understand what I ask? I must have your word that, wherever you sail, you will remain obedient to the light. You may rescue the hobrim's cousins but do not interfere with the plans of the Great Ones, even if you see suffering. Can you follow such a course? And beyond this, I can offer no aid."

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-03-2002, 12:43 PM   #33
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The tale of Child's dream spread like wildfire through the ship. And although none yet knew exactly where they were going, or the meaning of Kali's strange words, they had learned that the hobrim's cousins were in trouble and must be rescued, and that the voyage might even carry them to a different age.

Rose stood on the prow of the boat, and excitedly pointed ahead, "Look, everyone, look, the mouth of the Great River!"

Old 07-03-2002, 12:48 PM   #34
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"Idril, your words and the dreams of Child trouble me greatly," replied Mithadan with a frown. "I believe I understand portions of these riddles, yet the full meaning is hidden from me."

He pondered Idril's words for a moment, then looked at the Elf. "The acts and decisions of the Valar I will not interfere with, though it may be that it will be difficult to separate what is their will and and what is not. And if the will of the Valar and Eru brings suffering, then so be it. No doubt it is not without reason. But tell me this. If I read these dire hints rightly, we will be attempting this rescue in even an earlier Age, am I not correct? For the secrecy which veiled the Hobbits became significant only at the end of the Third Age. This gives me pause, for to meddle with the past is to assume a great risk."
Old 07-03-2002, 12:55 PM   #35
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Idril smiled and gazed at Mithadan, "Your words are true, and you understand the peril. Child is so anxious to rescue her kin. Her heart and that of her friend Rose, are so soft when they see suffering, especially that of children, that they may try and reach out further than this tale can bear."

"But I see you hold wider understanding. Do not fear to rescue the hobrim, for this is in accord with the threads of the Music, but take care to leave all else alone. And all must be done in silence, especially as regards the hobbits Rose and Child, and even Pio who holds hobbit blood in her lines."

Old 07-03-2002, 02:59 PM   #36
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

With a heavy sigh, Mithadan climbed up the stairway to the helm. Carefully sidestepping the pool of dragon bile (which was by now slowly eating its way into the deck), he walked to where Pio and Birdland stood by the now secured wheel.

"Idril warns that this venture may be treacherous in many ways," he said. "More so than any danger it may present to us. To find the Hobrim, it seems we may be forced to travel back to an even earlier age, which creates a real risk of disturbing the stream of events which leads to our present life at the Barrow-Downs. If we undertake this task, we must act in secret and the Hobbits must not be revealed to the attention of any great power else we risk the role that they play...played...will play in the Third Age. She also cautions us to avoid disturbing the will of the Valar and Eru even if great suffering is to result. We are also warned to avoid waking the evil that sleeps under hills. That said, the rescue of the Hobrim may be possible."

Piosenniel's eyes narrowed. "Kali's fear of the West, the will of the Valar bringing suffering during an earlier age, Angara's reticence, evil under hills?" she asked.

"What does this mean?" asked Birdland.

I am not certain yet," responded Mithadan. "But I fear..."

"Numenor?" finished Piosenniel.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #37
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: I'm going to be doing my perspective of events since the boat went out of control. Um...are we in the Third Age now? Or are we going to be going into the Third Age sometime soon?::

Rose was trying to sleep off the effects of drinking too much ale untill with a sudden jolt she was thrown from her bed imedatly awakening her. She tried to stand up but was cast upon the floor once more. The boat was out of controll! Was there a storm?

Rose made one more attempt to get onto her feet and managed to stand. She walked out into the hall and stumbled into Kali. "Why does ship move so much?" he asked.
"I don't know. Let's find out." They made thier way too the stairs walking as if they were still drunk when the ship became calm again. A minute later Veritas came down the steps carrying a sick looking Angara. Curious the two "cousins" went up the the top deck. Pio and Birdie were setting the wheel straight and on the planks a horrible mess of somthing. Birdie turned to see them stareing at the mess and said brightly. "Angara's stomage didn't quite agree with our little joy ride just now. And she decided to share."

"Don't like" said Kali and he got away just in time. Because just after he was out of sight Pio said.
"Why don't you clean that up Rose?" Birdie handed Rose a mop and a pail as the hobbit eyed the fowl vomit with disgust. But she thought it was probably better to clean it up then to let it sit there so she started to mop it up. When she finnished there was a burn in the planks that the contents of Angara's stomage made.

Rose went to empty the pail over the side when she saw somthing up ahead. "Look it's the Great River." She watched as the mouth approached.

Mithadan came over to talk to Pio and Birdie. Rose pondered what they discussed. And her heart fell. Third Age? They wouldn't be able to meet Aragorn. And by the sound of it they wouldn't meet Faramir either. Or anyone else if they could help it.

Rose turned to the others and asked "So are we in the Third Age now? Does that mean we can't go to Minus Tirith? Where are we in the Third Age? That should oviously count. Like, what if we are at the very end of the War of the Ring? Then it would be alright if Kali, Child, and I revieled ourselves."

"Either that," said Bird. "Or you could use stilts."
Old 07-03-2002, 04:58 PM   #38
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"No, Rose," smiled Birdie, "we are in the Fourth Age, and King Elessar sits on the throne of Gondor and Anor. Child wants to search the ancient records of Minas Tirith to see if there are some clues as to the origins of the Hobrim."

"If nothing else, we will be able to take on some needed supplies before we continue our voyage. Maybe we can pick up some, nice, greasy sausages for Angara." Birdie said with an evil smile.

"I just hope the "Lonely Star" rides high enough in the water to make the passage up the Anduin. I suppose if Aragorn could do it, then we can do it, too."

"After that...who knows?"
Old 07-03-2002, 06:20 PM   #39
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was early evening; the ships had moored just off the northern tip of Tolfalas. Pio wanted to consult with Mith before she used the crystal to take the catamaran and its crew back to the seventh age Barrow Downs. Since none of them had ever used the crystal before, she was unclear how far away the cat needed to be from the Lonely Star, so that the time effect would not suck it in. Mith and she decided the Lonely Star and Tuor's ship would sail west toward the opening of the Bay of Balar and the cat would sail into the mouth of the Anduin, before using the device.

Bird piloted the Lonely Star toward the open ocean, followed by Tuor, and Pio sailed the cat up the river, using the crew also as rowers. Once the elf could no longer see the elven ships well, she opened the cover to the device which she had mounted on the helm. Carefully moving the crystal to the number 7 hole, she inserted it, closed the covering, and sent a small prayer to Eru.

It seemed as if nothing had really happened. But when she reached out in her mind to Idril, there was no response at all.

The crew was all on deck and very excited. They were pointing out familiar landmarks from their trip down the Anduin to join the rescue. Pio breathed a sigh of relief. 'They'd made it!' This was followed by the darker thought of something she'd forgotten to consider. How was she to get back to the 4th Age?
Old 07-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The catamaran was there, and then the air around it had shimmered just slightly and it had winked out of existence in an instant.

This is the description Celeaewen had given once she'd descended from her perch on the Lonely Star's top mast.

'Then they are on their way back to the Downs!' said Rose. 'It worked!'

'Where were we going to pick up Pio?' asked Bird.

At this moment, Veritas came back up on deck with Angara who had recovered much of her former color, and seemed in a better mood.

Noting the companions all standing about, near the rear of the ship which now faced toward the mouths of the Great River, and which seemed to have moved farther out to sea, Veritas looked about in surprise. She had been so focused on cajoling Angara that she was unaware of what had happened.

Thinking everything alright, she announced with a cheerful tone: 'If you're ready, Angara will tell us her riddle now.'

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]