Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2002, 06:49 PM   #41
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child knocked on the door of Rose's cabin and went inside.

"I heard you speak with Birdland, and I wanted to say everything should be fine for us in Minas Tirith. For we are in the early Fourth Age, which is after the Ring Quest. We do not have to worry about revealing ourselves, since all here is well, and the Evil One is vanquished."

"Our danger lies in the earlier ages where it appears we may be heading. For, should we travel back to an ancient kingdom, we run the risk that the Evil One may see us or learn something of our people. And that would not be good for Mr. Frodo or Samwise, or indeed for any of us."

"How strange it is that those two chose to leave the ship just before this adventure. Now that I see where we are heading, that may have been wise. For should the Dark Lord have learned about them, things might go very badly. To leave an imprint of Frodo or Samwise in the mind of the Shadow would be folly."

"Now, I certainly hope no hobbit or hobrim will fall into the hands of the Evil One or his servants. We must try hard to make certain that doesn't happen.

But, if misfortune befalls, our path is clear. We, hobbits and hobrim, must act exceedingly stupid and clumsy, devoid of reason and skill, so that he will think we are worthless fools. Hopefully, this won't be needed, but anything is possible.

Rose queried, "I have heard that we are going to Numenor. Is that true?"

Child sighed, "It would appear so. Only today Kali told me that, according to the old stories, all of his people had second names in Elvish, just as the great lords did. That sounds suspiciously like Numenor. I plan to reread the Alkallabeth to see if I can learn more."

"And I have learned that the words Kali speaks come from the tongue of the Adunaic, which indeed was spoken by the common people of that realm."

"But we can be certain of nothing. Even if it is Numenor, we do not know exactly where Kali's cousins live. Numenor is a large place. I hope that Angara may help us, or perhaps, we can meet with Faramir. I have always understood that he had strange memories of those ancient times."

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-03-2002, 07:36 PM   #42
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Angara loved being the center of attention. The little golden dragon preened and raised her wings to the sun, making sure that all could see her in her best light as they gathered around her.

Everyone stood in a semi-circle, by arrangement of Child and Pio. Birdie grumbled at leaving the wheel, but was finally convinced that only by providing an attentive audience for Angara would the dragon's ruffled feelings be soothed, and she would begin to divulge her secrets.

"I am ready, now," trilled Angara. Looking around at all who attended to her, she assumed a wise, lady-like aspect. Then raising up on her hind legs, she gave her riddle...
Old 07-04-2002, 01:30 AM   #43
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC: Bird - Pio isn't there. She's stuck in the 7th age, trying to figure out how to get back with the crystal time device after taking the catamaran back.
Angara spoke two riddles as if they were stories of old, repeated.

Anadûnê zîrân hikallaba...

Five stars there are
Upon a single star
And in their midst
The great root star,
Heaven's pillar of old.

They are there,
The little-folk,
Now sea-changed,
Hidden.

She paused and then began the second one:

Êphalak îdôn Yôzâyan

Giver of Gifts, he came,
Zigûrun;
Land of Gift, brought down
We hid them,
Nimîr, the shining ones.

'So, now you have it', said the dragon, 'where they are, and who put them there. The danger is in the why and when of it - for this age and for all others.'
Old 07-04-2002, 05:13 AM   #44
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose immediatly wrote down the words so she would remember them.
But there were words like:
Nimîr and
Zigûrun that she did not understand. Where they names? She'd figure that one out later. First she went to find Kali. Perhaps he would beable to help her with the first riddle.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:56 AM   #45
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

At that moment, Piosenniel, (in the 7th Age) was trying to figure out what she would do to get back to her friends in the Fourth Age.

She watched as the crew of the catamaran gleefully frolicked on the shores of the deserted party field.

"Hmmmmmm," thought Pio. "The crew is home safe, which was the main point. I guess I'll just take me and the catamaran back. We can sell the thing in Minas Tirith, if nothing else." She pulled the Age Transporter out of her pocket, and inserted the peg in the hole marked "Four".

-------------------------------------
"Attack!" screamed the pirate. But at just that moment a 30-foot catamaran dropped out of the sky, landing with a crash and breaking the hull of the Narcranoth like match-wood (for the pirates were not good at basic ship maintenance, and had not kept up with their ship-worm extermination program.)

The Narcranoth sank to the bottom, with all hands on board. The Mer-Folk gathered the pieces of the wreakage and used it to line their dens and build patio decking.

Pio clung to a bit of flotsam, and looked ruefully around at the damage, waving to Angara, who had come to pick her up.

"I hate violence."
Old 07-04-2002, 12:32 PM   #46
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: Thanks Bird!
Angara extended her talons and was about to pluck Pio from the water when the elf waved her off.

I have something I need to recover, Anagara. Will you wait, O Beneficent One? Pio had learned her lesson about the temperament of dragons well.

Angara went into hover mode and watched as Pio dove repeatedly among the debris, searching.

'Ah! There it is!', she thought to herself. A piece of the helm column on which the wheel was attached had been caught in the long fronds of a kelp bed. She reached for the crystal device attached to it and removed it, securing it within the waistband of her pants.

As she kicked her way upward, she saw a darker figure ahead of her making for the surface. Someone long, tall, and thin.

Ulrich the Black broke the surface first, his glowing red eyes glowering evilly at the dragon above him. He shook his fist at her, and she screamed in rage at him and thought to dive at him and rend him stem to stern.

But then his face registered an unholy look of surprise and with a soundless scream he sank beneath the surface of the waves, an ominous stream of red flowing out from where he had gone down.

Pio rose to the surface, and washed her longblade in the clean seawater. Angara swept down, plucked her from the waves,and headed back to the Lonely Star.

I hate violence she thought to the dragon, but sometimes it's expedient.

Angara looked back at her, and smiled.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:53 PM   #47
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie watched the proceedings from the deck of the "Lonely Star". She called back over her shoulder to the others:

"Pio's back!"
Old 07-04-2002, 03:57 PM   #48
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeaewen thought about Angara's second riddle from the deck of The Lonely Star.
"Giver of Gifts, he came,
Zigûrun;
We hid them,
Nimîr, the shining ones." she muttered.

"hmmm. Wait. Sauron at first called himself Lord of the the Gifts, or some such twaddle. And he was responsible for the destruction of Numenor, the Land of the Gift. So to find the hobrim we go to Numenor in the second age." she bounced up and down with excitment, and raced off to find an authority figure.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:44 PM   #49
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose didn't notice the events taking place in the water. She was pondering Angara's words.
Celeaewen walked by muttering to herself "Numenor in the second age." So that was the answer to that riddle. But what did the answer to the very first riddle, tommorrow, have to do with it. Perhaps if they figured out the last riddle.

Five stars there are
Upon a single star
Rose couldn't think of anything literaly or figurtivly that fit this discription.

And in their midst
The great root star,
Heaven's pillar of old.
Heaven's pillar? What did that mean? And there was that star term again. What could a star represent? Rose thought that it probably had somthing to do with Numenor but she didn't know anything about the place. She went in search of refrence books.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:13 PM   #50
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Celeaewen paced around, muttering "Numenor, second age, Numenor, second age" she walked past Rose, who was trying to figure out the first riddle
"Heaven's pillar of old" she muttered. Celeaewen thought about it, then recognized the term.
"Rose!" she grabbed the hobbit, almost knocking her over. "Heaven's Pillar was the mountain on Numenor!!"
Old 07-04-2002, 08:15 PM   #51
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC-- Spent the day on the Gulf with seagulls and waves. I look like a red lobster. Ouch!

Child had spent the entire day buried in the small library of ancient texts housed on the ship. She had not even been aware of Pio's return or the instrusion of the other vessel.

Unlike her Uncle Bilbo, Child was exceedingly bad at riddles. Much of what Angara said did not make any sense to her.

But Child did have one advantage. She had spent the past several days immersed in ancient Adunaic. In fact, she believed she was the only resident of the Barrow-downs who now knew more Adunaic than Elvish. She intended to use this to her advantage upon her eventual return to the Downs to show off to those pesky Elves that they were not the only ones who could be linguistic scholars!

Child set her ideas about the riddles down on paper and presented them to Angara. Her letter looked like this:

11 Afterlithe
Cabin #6
The Lonely Star

Dearest Angara, Most Ancient and Wise One,

O beneficient one, with my poor skills I will attempt to decipher your learned riddle. Could you please let me know if I am going about this the proper way?

"Anadune ziran hikallaba..." This means that beloved Numenor fell down

"Five stars there are upon a single star" I don't know what this means. I can't find any five stars in the Silmarillion, but I will look again tonight. (I do know that stars are "gimil" in Adunaic!)

"Heaven's pillar of old" Kali taught me this one. Heaven's pillar is Minul-tarik or the Mount of Menaltarma which has the Hallow of Eru at its very top. This is where private and public worship of Eru took place. It was a holy place, never defiled by Sauron.

Perhaps this is where the hobrim are now. There are old legends that, when Numenor sank, the Hallow of Eru rose again above the waters and formed a new Isle....."a lonely isle lost in the great waters."

"They are there, The little-folk, Now sea-changed, Hidden." It sounds like the little ones may have been transported to Menaltarma for safety after the actual flood, and that their hobbit bodies may have been changed to become hobrim.

"Ephalak idon Yozayan" Far away now is the land of Numenor.

"Giver of Gifts, he came, Zigurun" The bad wizard, i.e., Sauron came and brought bad gifts to people and made them forsake the right ways.

"Land of Gift, brought down" Numenor brought down.

We hid them, Nimir, the shining ones-- Nimir means Elves.

Angara, does this mean the Elves hid the Hobbits in the isle of Menaltarma, and changed their bodies so they could live in the Sea? This means we have to go to Numenor not before the flood, but after it. Is that correct?

Your devoted friend who greatly admires you,

Mistress Goodchilde of Hobbiton

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-04-2002, 09:41 PM   #52
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"A mountain? Heaven's pillar!" said Rose enthueasticly. "Hm......five stars upon a single star. And it sounds like that mountain is " in thier midst." So what could the stars be?"

Just then Angara landed on the deck of the ship with Pio and everyone's attention was turned to them.

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 07-04-2002, 10:51 PM   #53
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara set the elf down gently on the deck, then landed next to her and resumed her diminutive size.

Pio thanked her profusely for flying her to the ship, and then excused herself to go below and take a hot shower. She was cold and wet and very tired.

She showered quickly and changed into a soft robe, sage colored, trimmed with a delicate border of embroidered beech leaves. Running her fingers through her damp hair, she climbed back to the deck to greet her friends. They all seemed busy, talking to themselves or to each other in snippets about some sort of riddle. All except Bird, that is, who was at the helm gazing at the river course as they advanced up the Anduin.

Even Angara seemed busy, reading a piece of paper.

Pio went up to the helm deck and asked Bird what was going on.

'It's those dragon riddles.', said Bird, not taking her eyes off the river and its banks. 'She gave them to us while you were gone and every one is trying to puzzle them out.'

Kali had come up to the helm also, and was busy looking out at the passing land. He looked at the elf when she asked her question and then waited for Bird to finish her explanation. 'The dragon spoke in the old language, so the riddle must be old, too. My poor head can't figure them out though.'

Pio asked Bird to repeat the riddles to her, and Kali filled in what Bird could not remember.

'Has Mithadan attempted these riddles yet?' asked Pio.

'No, not yet.', said Bird 'I think he's resting. His wounds still make him weary at times.'

Pio thanked them both for filling her in and went to speak with Angara, who was chuckling over the paper in her claws.

'Something funny?' she asked the dragon.

'Not funny, delightfully on track. I think that hobbit has the makings of a true scholar!' She handed Pio the paper. 'Look at this, she almost has it.'

The elf scanned the letter quickly. Well done, Child she thought. And well done , too, Rose and Cele whom she had heard exchanging thoughts on Numenor.

She handed the letter back to Angara. Her face was thoughtful, her thoughts guarded. 'This may prove to be a fearsome if not deadly undertaking.' she said as much to herself as to the dragon. 'The prospect of it chills me.' She shivered and drew her robe about her more tightly.

She looked at Angara. 'May I help them with this riddle, Old One?'

'As you wish, Old One. It is you and the other kuduk who have the most to fear.'

Pio went to her cabin and drew her leather mapcase from her pack. She unrolled them carefully and looked for the one she knew might help. 'Ah, there it is!, she said. She ran upstairs with it, and called her companions round her. Unrolling the old map on a barrel top, she pointed out the image in the center of the great sea:

'These are the five stars and the One.'
Old 07-04-2002, 11:27 PM   #54
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC -- Pio, I am very impressed with that map!

As Child looked at Pio's map, her mouth perceptibly dropped. "Of course, of course," she groaned under her breath. Uncle Bilbo had always told her that she was quite good with words, but that she had not done enough to train her eyes to see things right under her own nose.

Child saw Angara preening herself and looking very pleased. She walked up to the dragon and dropped a slight curtsey. "Oh, wise one," she said, "I have another question which you have not discussed yet. Not only would I like to know why and when the hobrim were put on this strange island, but I would also like to learn why the hobbits originally chose to travel to Numenor some time before the flood.

Or perhaps they did not choose. Perhaps, they never went to Numenor of their own volition, but were scooped up by the Elves from someplace else and deposited on this island dedicated to Eru immediately after the flood, for some reason unknown to them and unknown to us."

Child went on to explain, "I trulywish to know this. I have looked long and hard at the history of the Anduin region, and I have encountered a particular event....I believe it was in the year 2350.... which might explain how the Stoors came in contact with the Elendili as well as why the Stoors were overcome with wanderlust and the desire for the Sea, a desire that might voluntarily send them West to come to the Land of Gift."

"But I do not know if I should pursue these ancient tales further, unless I find out whether the Stoors migrated south down the Anduin and into the Bay, and then West, of their own free will, or whether they were spirited away by some greater power for some mysterious reason which might have even come from the Music itself? Can you tell me anything of the Stoors' departure from their hobbit homelands?"

"And, great one, do you yourself know why and when they were placed on that island, or is this also something which we must search for in Minas Tirith?"

Child bobbed a second curtsey and looked Angara in the eye.

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-05-2002, 01:33 AM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'I cannot answer all your questions, Child.', said Angara. 'Recall though, that within a year after the fall of Numenor, Elendil the Elf-friend and his sons Isildur and Anarion, who had escaped the cataclysm, had established the Realms in Exile of Gondor and Arnor. Against these two realms of the Faithful was set the spirit of Sauron and the forces of Mordor. It may well be that you may find in Minas Tirith something or someone to aid you in your coming quest.'

Not to mention some fresh food thought Pio, dreaming of platters of ripe, succulent fruit.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:29 AM   #56
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan woke and stretched carefully. His wounds were healing, but he was still extremely stiff. He dressed quickly and climbed to the main deck where he found Pio, Child and Birdie deep in conversation. He was told of Angara's riddles and their interpretations. "You all seem to have unraveled the threads of Angara's chestnuts," he said. "But the details remain obscure. When were the Hobrim, or Hobbits, brought to Numenor? Who did so and why? When did they acheive the form of Hobrim? And, most importantly, when do we need to get their to rescue them? To this I'll add my own questions. If the Hobrim were brought to Numenor/Meneltarma by persons of good will, why does Kali fear the West? And are we seeking Hobbits or Hobrim? And this is pure speculation, but could it be that the reason the people of Middle Earth knew so little of the Hobbits be that they ALL were brought to Numenor only to return to the banks of the Anduin at a later time?"
Old 07-05-2002, 10:17 AM   #57
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child awoke with a headache. She had hoped answering the riddles would solve the problem of where and when to rescue the hobrim, but it had not.

Several of Mithadan's points seemed critical. Why was Kali afraid to sail West? Child had assumed he was simply following the advice of the Faithful not to go to lands forbidden to mortals. This could be true, but perhaps something else was at work. Perhaps he was afraid of something dreadful that had happened to his people.

Child had also assumed that the hobbits' removal to Numenor had been a voluntary one, done by them for personal reasons. But Mith raised the chilling prospect that their removal had not been voluntary and that they had been thrust there by some power, perhaps evil, for reasons unknown.

And strangest of all was the question why hobbits were never recorded in the history of Elves or Man before the middle of the Third Age? Perhaps, hobbits had been safely tucked away in Eru's mount for some reason, and not just the Stoors but all the hobbit community. Perhaps, indeed, the safety of the world depended on them being hidden. Then, any attempt to rescue them before the designated time would not be a boon, but a terrible mistake.

They must be very careful, or they could do more harm than good.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:20 AM   #58
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was early morning, and a glorious day had dawned on the Great River. A brisk wind filled their sails, and the elven craft was making good headway against the current.

Bird had gone into the small cabin on the helm deck for a much needed rest, and Pio stood at the helm. Not a great deal of correction was needed to keep the craft true to course, so she spent much of her time wondering at the great flocks of seabirds that wheeled and turned in the sky above the ship. The sky was thick with them, even this far from the great ocean.

'They're lovely to watch, aren't they?' remarked Veritas coming up behind her. 'In all my times up this river, though, I've never seen so many of them. It's almost as if they herald our approach.' She walked toward the low hanging roof of the small cabin. 'Give me a hand up here, Pio, and let me see what I can see.'

The elf secured the helm, and gave the wizard a boost up. Stepping back to the wheel, she watched as Veritas scanned the river and its lands ahead, straining to catch a sight of the famous city.

It was not long before Veritas cried out, pointing toward the northwest. 'The peak of Mount Mindolluin is clearly in sight now!'

A bleary eyed and clearly unrested Bird stumbled out of the cabin. 'Hey! How can you expect a person to get any sleep with an elephant tapdancing overhead and shouting out points of interest like some rabid tour guide!?'

'Come up, Bird!' said Veritas, extending her hand to her. The city should be coming into sight soon.' Even a tired Bird could not resist this offer, and up she climbed.

Pio shouted to the rest of the crew to come and view their approach. She pulled out a map to show them where they would dock the ship once they reached Minas Tirith.

Old 07-05-2002, 11:26 AM   #59
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

((Mind if I join? I've been keeping track of this thread and the previous one for some time now. And great riddles! A most amazing thread!))
Old 07-05-2002, 11:32 AM   #60
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Rose, sitting high on Bird's shoulders, was the first to see the city, itself.

'Look, look!', she cried, clapping her hands together excitedly. 'What beautiful tower is that, shining so bright in the sun?'

'The White Tower of Ecthelion!', came the voice of Mithadan, his dark eyes sparkling with delight.

'O!' sighed Childe, 'I never thought to see this image come to life!' As if in a dream, she quoted a much loved passage from an old book of hers:

Quote:
...the Tower of Ecthelion, standing high within the topmost walls, shone out against the sky, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely, and its pinnacle glittered as if it were wrought of crystals...'(ROTK)
[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-05-2002, 12:10 PM   #61
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: Have invited Warg to join if he can think of a suitable character. He will probably meet us in Minas Tirith - in the Library or perhaps a tavern.
The Lonely Star approached Harlond, the port of Minas Tirith. Small boats came out from the docking area to bring in the ship. The crew of the ship threw them lines from the foredeck, on either side, and the boat-tenders secured them to the rear of their vessels. They slowly and surely drew the Lonely Star into dock.

A single man, stood on the cleared dock, and watched the ship approach, Once secured, he hailed the comapanions, now all hanging over the railing and gazing at the city.

'Well met!' he cried in a great voice to them. 'How comes it that the banner of Eärendil should grace this fair city?'
Old 07-05-2002, 12:17 PM   #62
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

((Okay, then I'll find the right time to jump in... thanks))
Old 07-05-2002, 12:23 PM   #63
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: GREAT WARG please see the PM (private message) I sent you - I would like to see what character you propose to be. And please tell me which of the two places I mentioned you would like to meet us in. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:12 PM   #64
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie admired the tall, graceful spires of the city as much as anyone, (and looked forward to stepping on land again, at least for a little while).

But her irritation wasn't solely due to "tapdancers" overhead, nor was her lack of sleep just from the noise. She had been unable to make heads nor tails of the riddles, and was glad that there were more scholarly minds among them. But the answers just seem to lead to more questions.

Is everyone saying that halflings go as far back as the days of Numenor? It doesn't seem fathomable, but yet it seems to be so.

But it's said that halflings are a off-branch of men. Does that mean that Halflings were Numenorians? Birdie looked at the men working on the pier, some with the aspects of kings, though they were only lowly dockhands. Halflings a branch of the Numenorians??? A loud shout of laughter burst out of the skin-changer, and a dockhand on the pier looked up at the sound and raised a friendly hand.

Alright then, Birdie mused further. So Sauron deceived the Numenor, and fed on their vanity, and so the island sank. The few survivors escaped by ship and sailed back to Middle-Earth...apparently without halflings.

Birdie glanced over to Kali, who stared, listlessly it seemed, at the white towers of the Setting Sun.

So how did these Numenorian halflings escape the fate of most of the Men? Did the "sea change" happen then!? But that would mean Hobrim came first! At least as far as Middle-Earth was concerned.

From Halflings, to Hobrims, then Hobrims AND Halflings? Birdie's head was throbbing. It sounded so amazing and far-fetched. But then she thought of the amazing, far-fetched world that she lived in.

"Kali!" called Birdie, and walked over to the Hobrim leaning on the rail. "So what do you think of the works of Men?"

"So tall and proud," said Kali, almost sadly. His face looked pale and drawn. Birdie looked closely at him and said "When's the last time you were in the water, Kali? Awhile, I think. Can you bear fresh water?"

Kali raised his head and sniffed. "Smells different, but not bad. I feel I could stand this "fresh water", though it does not smell as fresh as the sea."

"Then let's go in. No, wait," Birdie urged. "Not in front of the men there. Let's go to the far side and slip in there."

Birdie and Kali hid behind some barrels and slipped silently over the side, Bird morphing into dolphin shape as the cool river-water folded over her. It made her skin itch in an odd way, and she wondered how long a dolphin could bear saltless water.

A shadowy form slid past them in the cloudy current, and then Levanto, of all people, appeared before them. His usual emerald green color had taken on a paler hue, but his eyes were gleaming with delight.

"Levanto!" whistled Birdie. "Can you tolerate this river water, too"

"It is not the most agreeable of elements, but bearable". Levanto waved his hand dismissively. Then he exclaimed "I must admit that the works of these men have exceeded all my expectations! These towers! These walls! How do they build so high without the buoancy of water to support it? Some of these spires are almost as tall as the ones in my own beloved city beneath the sea."

Levanto raised his head cautiously above the water line and looked with longing at the white towers. "Ah, if only I could walk these streets and study these buildings. Talk to these Men about their works."

Birdie looked at Kali, who seemed to be feeling better, even in the river water. The hobrim nodded his head in agreement. "I too, would like to see how you live on land."

"Hmmmmmmmmmm..." Birdie mused, then her dolphin smile grew even wider. "And see the city you shall!" This was the kind of adventure Birdie really enjoyed!

Raising her head above water, she cried to Child, who was leaning over the rail. "Child! Talk to one of those men on the pier. Tell them we are in need of a pony and cart!"

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #65
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan stepped down the gangway and approached the waiting man. "Well met!" replied Mithadan. "The banner?" Mithadan paused trying to decide waht to tell his host. AElfwine was a resident of a distant future, as were they all, except for Kali. He chose the course of caution, ever mindful of Idril's words. "The banner is an heirloom of my house, where it is said that Earendil the bright is one of our distant forefathers," finished Mithadan.

"And what errand brings you to Minas Anor?" inquired the man.

"We wish to visit the fabled library of this city," replied Mithadan. "Among our number are Halflings, Hobbits if you will and I have heard that your King is familiar with their kind. They seek records which may shed light upon their ancient history, ere they crossed the Anduin and made their way to the land now called the Shire."

"Periannath?" cried the man. "You are indeed welcome. It is rare that any of that race visit this city. I am Amdir, master of the docks. Your vessel will be safe here. Welcome to Minas Anor!"

"Thank you, Amdir," replied Mithadan. He turned and made his way back on deck, where he approached Piosenniel. "Our people must take great care to neither reveal our origin or our errand, I think. And there remains another matter of concern," he said, looking at Angara who lay on the foredeck sunning herself. "I doubt that the people of this city would welcome a dragon, even a small one."
Old 07-05-2002, 03:14 PM   #66
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Celeaewen hopped off the ship, and nearly fell over. she was so used to the sea that the solidity of the ground felt rather odd. She marvelled at the huge white city, quite unused to anything quite like it.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:23 PM   #67
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child called out to one of the dockhands in the street. "We have need of a pony cart. Can you tell me where I could rent one?"

"That way, little one. There is a stable a few paces down this street," one replied.

"Little one, indeed!" Child thought. But she was not about to make trouble.

She had strapped her bag of silver and gold coins close to her body under her cloak. And just to make certain, on her other hip, she carried a small dagger. She sincerely hoped she would find no reason to use it.

Child went to the stable and made arrangements for a cart and pony for Kali and Birdland. She also rented a small pony for herself and Rose to share.

Child had gathered all her books, papers, and writing implements and slung them into the pony's saddlebag. She was also carrying a hooded cloak which she gave to Kali as he and Birdie emerged from the water.

"Better be careful, Kali," she said. I don't know if the citizens of Minas Tirith have ever seen a creature quite like you. I am sure they are kind-hearted, but it's best to be cautious."

Child returned briefly to the ship and gave Angara a polite, but firm, lecture. "O ancient one, for your safety, it is best to remain on this vessel. For the citizens here may be overwhelmed at the sight of your magnificence."

Angara was not pleased at Child's words. However, Child presented her with the key to the fish storage bin which did help to soothe her temper.

Angara countered, "I will remain on deck this evening. About days to come, I will not promise. And you, Child, may need me to help find and decipher the ancient documents."

Child scratched her head, but said nothing.

Child mounted her pony to journey to the great library. She took Rose with her. They did not intend to do research so late in the day, but merely to find out where the library was and if special arrangements had to be made for their entry. She and Rose agreed that they would later find an inn where they all might gather for an evening of food and entertainment, something which had been sorely missed in recent days.

As they trotted off the docks, she and Rose could see that Mithadan was already arguing with a multitude of vendors to provision their ship with needed supplies.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:12 PM   #68
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie checked out the cart and good pony that Child had brought back from the stables, and paid her back the let fee. It looked to be just what they needed, a large two-wheel cart with a driving bench and not too deep sides.

She took an old cloak that Rose had lent her and threw it around Kali. "That should do to cover most of you, the feet look a little bare, but we'll be riding in style most of the time, not walking, so no one should notice."

"Ask whatever questions you please, and we'll go whereever you like, if the cart will pass. But let me do the talking!"

"But what of Levanto?" asked Kali.

Bird held up another cloak and cloth half-mask. "We'll pick him up farther down the weir, where there are not so many people."

"Now", Birdie called up to the ship, "Who's coming with us to see the sites?"

Old 07-05-2002, 05:16 PM   #69
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Rose and Child came cantering back on their small pony. They had quickly gone to the library and made arrangements to return the next day.

Bird and Kali were in the cart which was just making its way across the bridge onto the main street. Rose waved her hand in recognition to the two.

"Bird, Child and I will join your fun, but will follow along in back on our pony. How about looking for somewhere where we can get some food and hear some music, but especially the food? We're very hungry, and we haven't seen a piece of fresh meat in ten days."

Child turned the pony around behind Bird's cart. Kali waved back at them both.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:33 PM   #70
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Before Rose left with Child see approached Mithadan. "Hey Mith, how are you feeling?"

"Better" he replyed.
"Everyone seems to be very up tight about being here. Why do we have to hide anything from Minus Tirith? Birdland said that Aragorn was king. Surely we can confide in him. Can't we?" In all the stories she had heard of the king Rose imagined him as a true and rightious man. One that could lead others flawlessly. She longed to meet him.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:36 PM   #71
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Hurrah!" cheered Birdie. "Scholars you may be, but I couldn't really see a couple of hobbits burying themselves in a musty, dusty library on their first day of 'shore leave'. Time for books tomorrow, eh Kali?" Kali smiled uncertainly, not quite certain what Birdie might have planned for them all.

"But first we must pick up another passenger." Birdie pulled up on a raised road that ran beside the river and looked around carefully. Then spying no one but themselves in the evening dusk, she threw a rope over the side of the cart and into the water. The rope tightened with a weight, and slowly, Levanto pulled himself out of the water, his wiry muscle flexing with the strain. Reaching the top of the cart's side, he flipped over and landed with a thump in the cart bed, looking half like a fish out of water.

Birdie handed him a soaked blanket to wrap around his tail, and threw a cloak over his shoulders. "Comfy?" she asked.

"Hardly, but I am not here for comfort, but for education. I am the first of my people to venture into a Men's City. When I return home, I shall publish my observations for all to read! This," intoned Levanto, "is an historic occasion for all of Mer-Kind."

"Well, send us a copy of your book when it's finished." laughed Birdie. "But where is Pio? She certainly wouldn't miss out on our soujourn?"
Old 07-05-2002, 05:53 PM   #72
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

((OOC just did poi. but if I'm going to join, I s'pose we'd better hurry...))
Old 07-05-2002, 06:02 PM   #73
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio watched the cart with Bird and what appeared to be a hobbit drive away from the dock. 'Great Eru!', she swore under her breath, 'That 'hobbit' is Kali!'

At that moment, a fruit and vegetable vendor began to haggle over the price for his merchandise, and she had no further time to stew over the consequences of this outing.

The bargaining done, the deal agreed to, she shook hands with the vendor who promised to bring his good early in the day of their departure. He gave her the location of his stall in the marketplace, and she assured him she would come to tell him when they were to depart, and then pay him on the morning of delivery. She did take on at that time a goodly number of small, tightly sealed barrels containing dried fruits and dried vegetables.

The purchase done, she strode over to where Mithadan was bargaining for other needed supplies. She asked him to excuse her for a while, that she had a pressing situation to sort out in the city. 'Whatever you cannot get today, let me finish it tomorrow.', she said.

He looked at her quizzically, but she excused herself once again and ran down the street she remembered the cart had taken.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:04 PM   #74
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: um...how do you write and read a book underwater?::
Old 07-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #75
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: I WANT TO SEE ARAGORN! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ::
Old 07-05-2002, 06:07 PM   #76
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Quote:
ooc: um...how do you write and read a book underwater?::
Very carefully.

Old 07-05-2002, 06:19 PM   #77
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: GREAT WARG please read my PM reply to you.

She saw the tailgate of the cart a little ways in the distance. The party seemed to have stopped . . .and, she shaded her eyes to get a better look, they were pulling something out of the water. Something large, definitely mannish appearing in the torso, but by the Barrow Wight, it had a tail . . a fish's tail. Curse them to the bloody Void - it was Levanto!.

'So much for secrecy!' she thought, and doubled her pace to catch up to them.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:22 PM   #78
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC - LOL-- Rose, calm down. We'll be here a couple of days. By hook or crook, we'll get you to Aragorn! (Actually, I want to see Faramir.) HeHe
Old 07-05-2002, 06:24 PM   #79
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

Khelek quickly scanned several scrolls in the flickering candle light. The text was written by the most skilled scholars, now passed away over the Sea, but the information contained within the scrolls was valuable.

"For the love of Earendil, please be here," he thought. A loose scroll caught the corner of his eye, fluttering to the stoned ground. Palms sweating slightly, the Elf bent over to bring the script into the light. He knew it was the information he sought.

Holding the scroll in shaking hands, as close to the candle without burning the delicate paper, he read:

Anadûnê zîrân hikallaba...

Five stars there are
Upon a single star
And in their midst
The great root star,
Heaven's pillar of old.

They are there,
The little-folk,
Now sea-changed,
Hidden.

Êphalak îdôn Yôzâyan

Giver of Gifts, he came,
Zigûrun;
We hid them,
Nimîr, the shining ones.

Raising his head after reading the words, the Elf furrowed his eyebrows and thought long and deep.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:27 PM   #80
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

OOC Got it poi. And I hope I jumped in at the right time...