User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2002, 11:49 AM   #201
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

OOc just so you guys know, I'm going to Europe starting the end of July. I might be posting a little, depending where I am, but not a whole lot. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Don't get mad! Have a great time Rosa!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:13 PM   #202
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The gentle nudge of Rose's hand brought the elf back to waking, and she heard the hobbit ask, 'Have you been up here all night? Still think we need a guard? Pio you're troubled. Far more than anyone else. What's wrong? What do you know..or guess?'

She shook off her dreams and memories and smiled warmly at Rose.

'Now, Mistress Rose, how can I have any worries with such a sunshine face waking me?! I'm only tired. Angara and I were up late talking over many things. And look at her! Still snoring! Best we rouse her. We need to be sailing just when the sun's two lengths above the horizon. The tide will be favorable for us then.'

She left Rose to deal with the sleeping dragon, and went to speak with Mithadan, who was just paying the last of the suppliers.

'Have we gotten all the supplies on board now?' she asked him. He nodded in the affirmative, saying that the fruit seller had just delivered the last of the crates of fresh fruits and vegetables, placing them in the hold, and the waterman had secured additional barrels of fresh drinking water on deck for them.

'Let's get the rest of the crew up here, then, and get what we need lashed down. Have you seen Khelek?'

Mithadan motioned toward the galley in response to her last question, and then went to rouse the crew. She could hear the hobbits protesting that breakfast was needed first, and the Man explaining that breakfast would be 'after'.

'Khelek?!' she called, as she entered the galley. He responded with a wave of his cup of tea at her. 'Come with me and bring your drink. I'll show you to your cabin and you can stow your gear there. Finish up your tea, soon, as we have a little work to be done before we sail.'

She looked him over. He was dressed in nice clothes and a pair of fine leather boots was on his feet.

As delicately as she could she said,'I think perhaps you will find yourself more comfortable if you put on some . . .um, work oriented clothing, and perhaps a different pair of boots, or better yet, go barefoot. Save the boots and finer clothing for dry land and less rough conditions as we may encounter.'

He followed her down the hallway to the cabins and placed his bag neatly on the bunk. She began to close his door to allow him some privacy to change, but stopped and said,'Oh, and if you don't have clothes that are less prone to damage by sea and sweat, then just let me know. Mithadan, I think is about the same size as you. See you on deck soon!'

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-15-2002, 02:08 PM   #203
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC - Rose, goodbye!! When you return, I will be leaving. I am on vacation July 19-29 in Michigan and Toronto. Don't know if I'll have access to a computer. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Great Warg -- Europe?! You lucky guy. How long are you gone. We normally post for each other while someone is away. Nothing drastic, you won't get killed or anything!

Boy, we sure have a lot of summer vacations. Mithadan is away till Thursday, and possibly a few days a week later. Rose is away through July 18 or 19. I'm away July 19-29, and Great Warg in early August. And I think Veritas is still away too!

I hope Pio and Bird are up for LOTS of posting! Presumably, the story line will move a bit slower with so many out of town!

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-15-2002, 02:22 PM   #204
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: Yes, I think we can spend a leisurely time cruising slowly up the coast toward the now sunk Beleriand. Perhaps some deck chairs, a few good books (Tolkien, of course!), and those little drinks with parasols!
Old 07-15-2002, 02:32 PM   #205
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Slowly, the ship pulled out of dock and began its journey south back towards the Bay. They all stood in the stern of the ship watching the towers and levels of Minas Tirith recede into the distance.

Kali was exceptionally quiet, gazing at the wonderful turrets and towers. In his heart he knew that he would never return to that place. He wasn't sad. Where he was going was where he was supposed to be. In fact, the thought of reuniting with his cousins brought him great joy. But still, even in moments of hope, there can be slivers of sorrow and silence, and this was such a time.

Child and Rose stood on the rail, arms linked about each other's waist. They talked about meeting Aragorn and Faramir, and how the men were just as they had imagined them to be. Child was still disappointed that she had not seen Merry or Pippin. But she was certain that there would be another day for that, one way or the other. For her, there would be more journeys to the Shire and to Minas Tirith in the Third or Fourth Age. She was quite certain and content.

Mithadan paced back and forth on deck, calling out commands to Piosenniel and Veritas to shift the sails and man the helm. Bird had chosen to remain in the water until they reached the Bay, her dolphin body gleaming as she lept up into the bright sunlight. And the Elf had come up on deck dressed in a simple tunic and light footwear.

The trip was underway, and all appeared well.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM   #206
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Why is it that he is pacing the deck?' said Veritas to Pio, the sweat glistening on their foreheads and arms as they labored to hoist the sails and secure them, 'while we of the "fairer sex & the Eldar" are working like a pair of conscripts!' She looked to where Mithadan was now speaking with Khelek who had come on deck. 'And himself, there! Why is he not here doing this job. We outrank him, by Eru!'

'A little too much celebrating at the tavern last night, Veritas?!', asked Pio, laughing. 'Let's get this job done and then we must take a closer look at the crystal device. A job we can do over a chilled glass of wine!'

'If you ask me,' said Angara who perched on a barrel near the two, 'which you didn't, but I will tell you anyway - Such ever is the way of Man and men!'

The two elves let go of the rope at this comment and howled with laughter.

Mithadan looked toward this raucous sound and yelled, 'Belay that rope!'

Khelek, bemused, stood and wondered at the source of their laughter.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:30 PM   #207
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The ship slid out of the Great River into the choppy waters of the Bay. It bobbed and nodded as the wind blew out of the East.
As the vessel spun around, the sails flailed, and Khelak went to help Pio and Veritas hold them tight against the force of the gale. It was just enough of a storm to have everyone on board chilled and damp.

Child's stomach was bobbing up and down along with the deck of the vessel. She decided to go back to her cabin and lay down. She unlocked the door. With the dark shadows from the storm obscuring the sun, her bunk and table were outlined in an eerie half light. Child came inside, shaking from the cold of the storm and lit a single candle. She threw a warm cloak over her shoulders. Shadows could be seen along the opposite wall.

She looked up in sudden bewilderment and shock for directly in front of her a strange shape loomed. The shadow itself took the form of some creature. Images of Orcs and corrupted Men competed inside her head.

This, then, was the intruder. Child pulled out the dagger that was still belted around her waist from an episode of gutting fish just that morning. She whirled around faster than she thought possible to face the unwanted shape. Her small closet door had been flung open to reveal something inside the darkness.

Her heart pounding, Child lunged forward with her blade, a small but determined bundle of energy intent on injuring whatever unwanted creature lay hidden in the darkness. And then, with an intensity and deftness that surprised even herself, she came to a halt in mid-thrust. For standing in front of her, or rather huddled into a ball, was something which she could not have imagined even in a dream.

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-15-2002, 05:11 PM   #208
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird shot down the river, bow-riding in front of "The Lonely Star", glad to be away from the drudgery of deck-hand work by volunteering to "guide" the ship out to sea.

She looked around for Levanto, surprised that he was missing the opportunity to ride the wash of the ship. Suddenly, the Mer-Man swam in front of her, almost bumping her into the bow.

"Who is yon gentleman standing on the deck?" he asked in a huffy tone.

Bird slipped out of the wake of the ship, and started pacing beside the hull of the vessel, lifting her head to spy who was on deck. She saw the new "crew member" watching as Pio and Veritas went about their duties. He stood watching the two, looking as if he would like to help, but having no clue as to what he should do. Bird turned her head towards the hovering Levanto.

"That, is Khelek. An Elf Lord of Mirkwood. He has been researching the same Age as we. Pio and he have been working trying to figure out where in the First Age we should go to look for Kali's ancestors."

"Oh, has he!" sniffed Levanto. "He hardly looks the type to know anything about the Sea Races. Why is he standing so close to her?" Levanto fumed.

Birdie could not resist. It was just too good an opportunity. Besides, Levanto might need some extra "incentive" to come on their next adventure.

"They look a handsome couple, don't they?" she observed casually. "Perhaps they are discussing their mutual interests, both being Elves and all. I noticed they stayed up quite late talking."

Levanto slapped his tail and glared upward at the dark-haired Elf-Lord, his emerald green skin flushing almost black. Then he turned and dived back under the ship and away up river.

Bird spent the day swimming by the Lonely Star, feeling the water turn more brackish around her, the feel of the returning salt water soothing her skin. She was enjoying herself throughly, and had even chased down a few fish as she had gotten hungry in her travels. Her doubts about their future journey, and her worries about the fate of Kali were receding from her mind, as she became more and more in tune with the rhythms and flows of the Water World.

Suddenly, a small voice in the back of her mind was saying "Too long. Go back". She shook her head in irritation. She was fine! She would go back on board in a little while.

The sea was rough as they left the shelter of the bay and entered the open water. Looking up, she spied Kali, standing by the rail, hand on a line, facing towards the far horizon. His face was lifted to the forceful wind, and his eyes were closed.

Birdie started to call to him to come over the side and join her, come back to his true environment, which he had been away from for so long.

But suddenly, a loud cry of surprise and dismay reverberated through the hull of the ship! Bird lifted her head again and heard the others on board running and shouting. Racing to the side of the ship, she leapt for the deck.

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #209
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child could hear some commotion taking place on the deck above her head, but it scarcely registered in her mind. The knife in her hand slid out of her fingers as she started down at the apparition facing her.

Looking into her eyes was the visage of a small hobbit, a bit dirty and disheveled. The giant shadow on the opposing wall which had loomed so huge was now shrunken considerably, revealing a girl who could not have been more than three-feet tall. By Child's estimation, she must have been about sixteen-years old.

The only reason Child could tell she was actually a girl was the halo of springy brown curls that framed her face. For she was dressed in the clothes of a boy: a shirt and pants, the worn garments of a worker from the Shire or perhaps one of the servant boys.

And although her eyes shone blue and clear, her face mirrored both suspicion and doubt. Clearly, she had not expected Child to return at that moment and discover her secret hiding place. She stood up slowly. For one strange instant, Child thought the girl might actually attempt to knock her to the ground and race out of the cabin. But, instead, she remained silent, looking down at the floor.

Once Child had recovered from her initial astonishment, she took the girl by the hand and had her sit in a chair. She spoke to her in a voice that was remarkably quiet and calm, "Now, excuse me, please, but what is your name? And what are you doing in my room?"

The girl, with eyes still full of mistrust, clipped back a sharp reply, "Daisy Greenhand, at your service, Mistress Goodchild. A serving maid for the Took family in their residence at Great Smials."

"My, my," thought Child to herself, "What a very long way we are from the Great Smials!"
Old 07-16-2002, 01:01 AM   #210
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child felt the hull of the ship lurch forward. Daisy instinctively reached out to grab Child's hand.

The older woman spoke soothingly, "Don't worry, it's probably some navigational problem. You never know when Piosenniel takes the helm."

Silently, however, Child wondered. Had the time-travel device activated prematurely because of the storm, or had the winds intensified to throw them off course? Still, as long as Ulmo himself had not come to tip them into the water, Child decided to remain where she was and to find out something about the girl.

"Daisy," Child continued, "The first thing you must do is stop calling me 'Mistress Goodchilde.' Your family, like mine, were farmers in the Shire. There is nothing dishonorable about that. So I am certainly not your 'Mistess'. Please call me Child, which is what all my friends do."

"Secondly, you must tell me exactly how you got here, and why you crept onto this vessel without permission. I am concerned that your parents, or Thain Peregrin, may be worried about where you are."

Daisy sullenly shrugged, "You needn't worry. My mother died last year, and I've been on my own ever since. I started working for the Tooks last month as I had no other place to go."

"But why didn't you stay with your own kin?" questioned Child, as this would have been the normal pattern for a young hobbit.

Indeed, after her own parents' deaths, Child herself had been cared for by Cousin Bell Goodchild, wife of Hamfast Gamgee. This was how she had first met Bilbo Baggins who had then done everything possible to encourage his young neighbor in her strange bent for learning.

Daisy shook her head, "My relatives were not eager to take in the daughter of a seafaring hobbit. My mother's family were Greenhands, but my father was a Stoor, and the Sea called to his heart. He went over the waters, and I have never seen him since."

She continued, "I let Master Pippin know that I would be absent several days to visit a friend. But I did tell another servant to tell him the truth after your ship pulled out of port."

"The truth? countered Child, "What is the truth?"

Daisy replied, her eyes glittering for the first time, "The truth is that I was with Masters Pippin and Merry, helping in the marketplace, when Mistress Rose came to speak with them, talking about her adventures. I decided then that I wanted to be like my father. I would never return to the Shire, but would sail out with Mistress Rose and her friends upon The Lonely Star."

"I actually planned to speak with her because she promised to visit the next day. Instead, she sent Pippin a note of apology, explaining that her friends had an audience with the King. So I disguised myself, ran away, and slipped onto your ship while you were at court. Later, I found my way to your cabin and your papers because I wanted to understand where we were going. And, yes, I did borrow a bag of mushrooms from the galley so I would not starve."

The hull of the vessel again lurched forward. Child looked at Daisy and thought, "You do not know what you have gotten into!" Aloud, she merely told her to lie down and rest, while she went up on deck to find out if anything had happened.

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-16-2002, 02:33 AM   #211
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The air was more brisk, cleaner, the farther away from shore they pulled. A good wind filled their sails, and the ship went scudding over the choppy waves at a fair clip.

Pio motioned for Mithadan to take the helm for a while. She wanted some breakfast and she wanted some sleep. Veritas agreed to meet her later in the afternoon, wanting to sleep off the effects of trying to drink a dwarf under the table with dwarf spirits. The contest had turned out a tie, but her head was making her wish she had never gone into that particular tavern.

She walked down stairs to get a warmer shirt, and met Child coming up.

'What is going on?' asked the hobbit. My stomach is doing flip-flops and it feels as if the ship is lurching along!'

'It's just the bay.' said Pio, reassuring her. The wind is making the water a little choppy, but once we get out into open water a little further it should calm down. No need to worry.'

She moved past her, as if to continue toward her cabin, but stopped abruptly.

'What have we here, Child? Someone has crept up the stairs behind you. Will you introduce us?'

Pio sat down on the stairs to be at eye level with the young hobbit, and smiled.

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #212
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child was amazed that Pio could take Daisy's presence so calmly. She wondered if Mithadan would be so understanding. Child briefly exlained what she had learned of the girl and her background.

Pio laughed and shook her head, "Another adventurer who can't stay put in the Shire or Buckland? Child, you should have some sympathy for that!"

"I do," Child grinned, "Only I can't imagine what Thain Peregrin will say to me when I actually do meet him someday. He'll accuse Rose and I of luring away his best servants."

Pio laughed, "Of all persons, Pippin has little to complain on that score. He did plenty of roaming in his younger years. Even now, he can't bring himself to stay away from Gondor for too long."

Pio contined, "Whatever Mithadan says, there's no question. The girl has to stay. We can't turn back to the River and find our way to Minas Tirith and then make our path down again. That would take an extra two or three days on the water. We simply can't afford it. The girl will have to make her home here with us."

Daisy interrupted and, for the first time, sounded both cheerful and positive, "Miss Pio, I do know something of boats and sails and water. When I was little, my father would take us out on some of the little rivers nearby. Of course, our craft was tiny, compared with this. But I love the Sea, and I know I can learn. And I've worked in the fields of the Shire, so I'm not afraid of hard work. I can be just as good a mariner as Mistress Rose."

It was clear that the Rose had become a model in Daisy's eyes and one whom she wished to copy. Daisy had also scrubbed her face clean, and managed to borrow clothes from Rose whom she had met again while walking through the hallway.

For some time, Kali had been listening to this conversation from the other side of the deck. He looked at her, then looked again. She was actually the first hobbit he had seen who was his own age. After hearing that Daisy loved the Sea and was also an orphan, he was particularly curious about her and wanted to be friendly.

Shyly, he inched over to their group. Daisy looked up, her eyes widening in astonishment. Then she looked over to Child and demanded quite sharply, "Who or what is that?"

In Kali's eyes, Child could see hurt and confusion. She herself was disappointed and furious at Daisy. However parochial they might be, hobbits were known for their polite ways. So it was difficult for Child to understand or forgive an intentionally rude comment such as Daisy had made.

She demanded that the girl apologize immediately. But, judging from the look on Kali's face, Daisy's awkward and grudging words had done little to heal his feelings.
Child then took Daisy by the hand and forcibly led her to the deck below for a serious conversation about the challenges of living on a small ship with Men, Elves, Hobbits, Hobbrim, and even Shapechangers.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #213
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Kali,' said Pio, looking at the sad face of the hobbrim,'don't mind the words of Daisy. She's very young, but seems good at heart. She's not seen much of the world, and you are new to her. Let Child fill her in on all the assorted crew we have with us, and remind her of her manners. Rose, I think, too, will take her in hand. I think once you become more familiar to her, you three may become fast friends.'

The hobbrim considered Pio's words and shook her head 'yes'. 'I will be more nice to her.',he said.

'That just might win her over a little faster.' agreed the elf. 'Now, why don't you come to my cabin. I put some preserving elixir on a scrap of paper left in that bag we opened yesterday. I want to check it, and see if it will provide us with any more clues.'

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-16-2002, 04:33 PM   #214
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child spoke with Daisy at some length about the hobbrim and their quest to find his kin and reunite them. The girl shook her head in disbelief. "How can he possibly be a relative of ours? He looks nothing like any hobbit I know!"

Child gently reprimanded her, "If you will look beyond his face and body into his heart, you will see how very much alike we are. Kali enjoys the same things we do. He loves mushrooms, and parties, and being part of a large family. He is gentle, has an impish sense of humor, and is always playing little tricks."

"And he loves the Sea, in the same way that my family loves the brown soil and the green things that grow. Since you also claim to love the Sea, you two should have something in common. Daisy, he is young and doesn't speak Westron well, although his Elvish and Adunaic are far more fluent than mine. But he is not a child. Like you, he has had to manage on his own, without parents or kin. And he knows more about Ulmo and the Sea and its creatures than anyone I have met. I know he will be glad to teach you, if you let him be a friend."

Daisy looked skeptical, but promised to try and hold her tongue.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and Veritas thrust her head in. "Mithadan wants you and Rose and the new one there to come to his quarters. And, if I were you, I'd be quick about it. He didn't look too happy when I left him." Child put her hand to her forehead and groaned.

Old 07-16-2002, 05:56 PM   #215
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie pressed her ear to the door of Mithadan's cabin, snorting with amusement as she listened to the Mariner rant on to Child about "stowaways", "loose lips sinking ships", and "the brig". The presence of this new Hobbit Daisy meant little to her, though she did begrudge the theft of the mushrooms.

Bird wondered just how much this little chit of a servant girl understood about their destination and what they might be facing. "Well", she thought "She'll find out soon enough that she'll be dealing with a bit more than a day of hoeing the 'tater fields of the Took family. I hope someone can teach her to wield a sword. Perhaps we can give her a sickle."

Bird was a bit more upset with her reaction to Kali, and his disheartament at being rebuffed by a "cousin." Child had given her a good talking to about being polite and looking beyond a person's outward appearance, but what did she expect? Child had been out in the wide world for many years, and seemed to have forgotten the the typical Shire reaction to "outlanders". Kali had been alone for a long time. Anyone would have been embraced by the lonely Hobbrim; the fact that some of his new-found companions looked even vaguely like himself would have been just icing on the cake.

This made Birdie wonder: what would a Hobbrim's normal reaction have been to outsiders? The skinchanger sought out Kali, and after comforting him with the usual excuses of ignorance and youth, she asked Kali:

"How would Hobbrims have treated outsiders, Kali? Did you ever have other sea folk who would cross your borders from outside? Did your folk look on them with suspicion?"

"Borders? What are 'borders', Birdee?" asked Kali in confusion.

"Borders? Well, you know, where you lived, and hunted. The place where you and your family stayed and called your own."

"We lived in the sea, Birdie. But no one called the sea "their own". What? Own the sea like I own my knife or this necklace my mother made me? I don't understand!"

"Never mind, Kali. But what about strangers. People who were not known to you?"

"All hobbrim were known to us. We always welcomed other Hobbrim, where ever we found them. Then there were the Mer-Folk. We loved the Mer Folk, but..." here Kali shook his head sadly, "the Mer-Folk would not come to us. We would watch them from afar. Look on their beautiful cities, but they did not want us to come near. When they see us, they laugh. Of course, they were so much more beautiful and wise then us. Why should they bother?" Kali sighed, then looked up at Birdie. "Maybe Daisy is more a cousin to the Mer-Folk then me?"

Then Kali brightened "But the dolphins knew us and would come and visit. I had many friends among the dolphin-kind."

Bird gave Kali a hug and said, "Well, I can certainly understand that."

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-16-2002, 06:36 PM   #216
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Rosie and Child hurriedly left Mithadan's quarters saying nothing to friends who happened to cross their path. They did not look very happy.

Inside, Child was fuming. She did not know whether to be more annoyed at Mithadan or the hobbit girl. "I had nothing to do with Daisy coming on this ship or choosing my cabin as her unofficial headquarters, yet Mithadan talks to me as if I was personally responsible."

Mithadan had been quite angry at Child for not notifying him the moment she had first seen the girl. He had also been unhappy with Daisy's curt and discourteous reply to Kali, news of which had spread over the entire ship, and had told her so in unambiguous terms. Then, he had warned all three that they would shortly be departing for an unknown and dangerous destination, and had best keep their mind on their assigned duties.

Daisy was given a long list of chores, most involving ship maintenance. She was told to report to Piosenniel as soon as possible to begin her apprenticeship. Even Child and Rose were given additional assigned duties. Child was to begin looking at the maps in the library, to see which rivers in Beleriand might be navigable by a boat such as theirs.

Worst of all, in Child's mind, were the new cabin assignments. Since they were no vacant rooms on the ship, and Child had the largest cabin, she was told to make room for Daisy as her new roomate. Mithadan told Khelak to shift a bunk bed into the cabin for the hobbits to share.

Child gritted her teeth as she watched her old comfortable bed rolled out, and an older bunk bed rolled in. Daisy immediately climbed to the top bunk, hung her legs over the edge, and began swinging them in the air directly over Child's head.

Child reminded herself again that Daisy had been through much sorrow in the past year, but she quickly found her patience wearing thin.

Old 07-16-2002, 07:21 PM   #217
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie's eyes lit up when she saw Child's old bed being rolled out of her cabin. It truely was a very comfortable bed, one of the best on board. She figured she would have a good chance of claiming it for herself, if the rest of the crew could draw straws for it.

Hope was soon dashed, though, when she saw that Khelek took the new bedding immediately to his own cabin!

Birdie went storming up on deck, fuming "Elves!"
Old 07-16-2002, 07:35 PM   #218
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<<ooc: i was away for a little while,what happend while i was gone?>>
Old 07-17-2002, 12:20 AM   #219
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

all OOC -----Losthuniel -- Welcome back. Here is the plot summary since your last post.

1. We met with Aragorn, and he told of us a
mysterious saying by Gandalf which indicated that there was a secret history of hobbits and they might need some assistance even after the end of the third age.

2. The Elf Khelek has joined our crew (Great Warg).

3. We learned we had to go to First Age Beleriand, since the hobbits apparently had an earlier origin than Numenor. We discovered this by a second set of riddles given to us by Angara the Dragon, and by a meeting with Faramir who was able to interpret Kali's dream about a flood.

4. Idril and Tuor sailed away. They left us a copy of an ancient scroll that indicated Morgoth had issued an order in Beleriand in 511 to capture and imprison all the hobbits.

5. Pio and Bird discovered a very ancient tunnel under the city which turned out to have a stone picture of a young man with a staff and shining face named Ancalimon.

6. Several items were reported stolen from the ship. We just learned yesterday that a stowaway was aboard -- a young hobbit girl named Daisy Greenhand, who has a bit of an attitude problem. She's now part of our crew.

Other than that, we've been relaxing and enjoying the sun for the past week! A number of people currently are or will be on vacation quite soon so the story may move a bit slower. Welcome back, and start posting! We should be departing for Beleriand shortly. sharon

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2002, 03:24 AM   #220
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Amidst all the hubbub, Pio had forgotten her original plan to take a look at that last scrap of paper. Kali had gone off with Bird, and the elf never made it to her quarters, feeling it best to go back up on deck and stay out of Mithadan's way. He didn't get angry often, but when he did, it sometimes spilled over onto the innocent and unsuspecting.

Veritas came up to talk with Pio, and plopped down on the deck next to her, back against the wall of the captain's cabin.

'Did you see that roster of duties Mith's drawn up? Sun-up to sundown, every minute seems like it's filled with something to do!' Veritas sighed. 'It's not like we're some warship in hostile waters!' She caught herself, 'That is, not yet.'

Pio shifted her position, and brought her knees up under her chin with her arms wrapped around them. She rocked back and forth, thinking. 'We need a diversion,' she said, 'something to take our minds off the seriousness of the matter before us for a while. Something to bring the crew together and smooth over tempers.'

'A diversion, yes!' agreed Veritas, wiggling her toes in the warm sun.

They fell into companionable silence, thinking.

A voice came from around the corner of the cabin. 'Did I hear the word *diversion*? Count me in!'

Bird stepped into view, a mischievous gleam in her eyes.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:29 AM   #221
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<< ooc: Thanks Child >>
Old 07-17-2002, 09:58 AM   #222
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The waters of the bay had stopped bucking, and people were returning to their normal routines, although in a more unsettled frame of mind. With two new crew members on board, it would take a while until things felt totally comfortable.

Child was in the galley preparing food for the evening meal. She was soon laughing and chatting with Rose, forgetting her problems with Daisy and Mithadan. She had heard something about Bird or Pio preparing a diversion for the ship, and that sounded fine to her.

Daisy had gone up on deck with mop, bucket, and polishing cloth to begin her list of chores. She was still in an angry mood, and was standing in the middle of a large puddle of water, vigorously attacking it with a mop when Kali came up to her.

"What are you doing? Big mop for little hobbit!" he commented.

Daisy scowled at him, "I can handle this mop very well, thank you. "And Mithadan has given me a list of chores that will take forever to finish. Child and even Rose were no help defending me. They just hung their heads and said they were sorry and acted very respectful."

Kali nodded, "Mithadan in charge of ship. At Sea, where bad things happen fast, someone make big decisions. And everyone respects that someone, even if they don't like what he says. On Lonely Star, Mithadan is that someone for us."

Daisy said nothing, but kept mopping with renewed energy.

Kali picked up the polishing cloth which had been flung over the rail and systematically began to attack the brass fixtures on the ship. Daisy glanced back at him. "What are you doing?"

"I'm helping you," Kali replied. If you finish early and the bay stays calm, we go out for a swim before dark. Pio and Child told me you like the Sea and are a good swimmer. Kali can show you many things in the ocean."

Daisy continued mopping, but did not say no.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:22 AM   #223
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Khelek sat on the deck, his chores done for the evening, looking over the glossy waves that were sparkling in the last few rays of the sun. He was contemplating about Kali again in his mind, and was careful to avoid Mithadan, suspecting the man was not one to reckon with in extreme pressure. He sang a tune softly to himself while looking over a scroll he had brough with him from Imladris when Elrond had left.

"Where did you learn that, Elf?" a voice asked. Khelek looked to the side, realizing he had been sitting not more than twenty feet away from the dragon.

"It came to me," he replied. "While I was in Minas Tirith." Anagara gave the Elf a critical eye. Khelek fell silent and continued reading the scroll.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:31 PM   #224
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdland flew down the stairs into the galley, whipped mop and polishing cloth from the hands of Halfling and Hobbrim, and commenced to dance a springle ring with the dirty mop head.

"Enough of this swabbing! Kali, I believe that Mith could see his scowling visage reflected in that brass now."

"The sun is going down, the waves have soothed themselves, and it's time for us to go to sea. The dinghy has been lowered for those too fussy or faint-hearted to join us below. But Pio, Kali, Veritas and I propose to go for a swim!"

Birdie led the laughing hobbits up on deck, where she saw Khelek deep in discussion with Angara. Flouncing over the the Elf-Lord, she stood, arms akimbo before him and said "Studying at sundown is bad for the eyes, but there is enough light left for us to hunt our supper, if you care to attend us, my Lord. This may be our last chance to venture under the waves, since by tomorrow we may be in VERY strange waters. And besides," she added with a glance toward Pio, "it is time that you met a most important member of our party, who unfortunately, is limited in his ability to visit with us on deck."

Kali ran towards the rail, more than ready to venture off the ship after a day of galley duty. But he paused as he saw Daisy hanging back. "I don't know if I can swim in the Deep. I've only been on rivers before."

Bird, Pio and the others looked between the two "cousins". Then Birdie said, "Well, you could not find a better guide for the first time than Kali."

Kali held his hand out to the young Halfing and smiled. Slowly, doubtfully, Daisy reached out and clasped it.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-17-2002, 07:37 PM   #225
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Celeaewen had spent most of the day perched in the mast, and descended around sunset to see what was going on. She heard Birdland lecturing Khelek, and coaxing him into swimming. after a little teasing, he got up, and Celeaewen stepped forward
"may i come?"
Old 07-17-2002, 08:00 PM   #226
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The kettle yawned languidly. It had been brought together with some pots and pans and stowed aboard the ship in preparation for the large sailing group. Trilling happily, it burst out of the cupboard and looked around.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Kettle of fish ]
Old 07-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #227
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Kettle O' Fish! You ol'...kettle o' fish, you! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

Birdie turned towards the lookout elf, and grinned from ear to ear. "Of course, Celeae! But I've always wondered if you could dive from there to the sea?" and she pointed back up to the crow's nest.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:16 AM   #228
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The ship lay quiet, nestled in a small cove, with sails flapping loosely about the masts. The swimming party was assembling on deck.

The more adventurous were daring each other to climb up onto the side rail and dive into the depths. Birdie, the Elves, and even Mithadan were doing spins and somersaults into the water, showing off their elaborate tricks. Without a doubt, Birdie was the most striking of the group, since she instantly morphed into her Dolphin form when she hit the waves.

Rose, Kali, and Daisy stood in the bow of the ship. Rose climbed up onto the railing, wobbled a bit, and proceeded to make a loud splash as she tumbled in. Kali was about to follow her by executing a backflip off the rail, until he stopped to look at Daisy.

Daisy's eyes were large and round as she stared at the Bay. Even though it was calm, the water looked very different from the swimming holes and rivers that she was used to in the Shire. She was clearly afraid to jump in from such a height, but didn't want to show hesitation in front of the others.

Kali climbed down from the railing, grabbed her hand, and pulled her over to a small rope that had been dropped from the deck to the ocean below, for those who might be hesitant.

Child had already let herself slide off the deck and was inching downward on the rope towards the water. She maneuvered with both hands till she reached the bottom and then slipped off with a plunk into the Bay. Kali came next and climbed down effortlessly, motioning Daisy to follow. She looked determined but grim, akwardly wrapping arms and legs about the rope, while Kali held the other end taut. Inch by inch, Daisy slid down the rope till she reached the end and then let go, splashing into the water.

Rose had brought along a ball and the two girls began to play, snapping it back and forth. Within a few minutes, a game had emerged, with Daisy trying to throw it over Kali's head so he wouldn't be able to catch it. This was no easy task since Kali had a natural grace and athleticsm in water. There was much giggling and splashing and general nonsense which was not at all unusual for hobbits.

Then they swam over to the small dinghy where Child sat perched, watching their antics and eating a little cherry tart which she had purchased from the marketplace in Minas Tirith. Neither Kali nor Daisy could resist the temptation. Within a short space, they had rocked the dingy to the point of tipping, and Child found herself and her snack drenched in the waves.

Eventually, they set the boat upright, and the girls climbed in, arms extended and pointing to the sunset. Kali dove down into the waters and, after what seemed to Daisy and Child a frightfully long time, returned with three handsome shells in his hands. He gave one to Child and another to Rose, and then took the third, the most beautiful of all, and shyly offered it to Daisy. Child noticed that she seemed uncertain, as if she wasn't used to getting little presents, certainly a very strange reaction for a hobbit. But Daisy took the shell with both hands and even said thank you before she and Rose retreated once more to the dingy.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-18-2002, 02:30 AM   #229
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

As landbound elves go, Khelek wasn't a bad swimmer. Unfortunately he wasn't a good enough swimmer, either, for what hit him next.

Two delicate pairs of hands grasped each of his arms in viselike grips and hauled him a hundred yards from the main body of the swimming party.

'Oh look!' said Bird to Pio, and pointing with her flipper. 'Khelek has made some new friends!'

Two creatures circled him, their eyes twinkling, and playful. Long, green hair drifted in the water like sea weed. Their faces and torsos those of trim young women, bodies narrowing down into long muscular scaled appendages ending in large fish-like tails, Oarni, mer-Maids.

'How did they get here?', asked Pio. 'We'd better go get him before they drown him!!' She started to swim in the direction of the Elf when her own leg was grabbed by something and she was pulled under.

She kicked hard to move herself upward and felt the pull on her leg loosen. Resurfacing, she spluttered and wiped the saltwater from her eyes.

'You're not going anywhere! He doesn't need rescuing!' came a familiar voice.

'Levanto?' she asked; the form in front of her still a blurry green image.'What do you think you're doing?'

'Bird told me about her *diversion*, and now I'm creating one for you!'

Her sight had cleared, and she could see him clearly. He had placed himself between her and Khelek, arms folded across his chest.

'Oh, by the One! Someone's been filling your little green brain with stories haven't they?' she demanded.

He looked at her, perplexed.

Before he could answer, she heard the muffled sound of a dolphin laughing, and saw Bird slapping her flippers on the water with glee.

'I'll get you for this, my fine fishy friend!'

'It's m-a-m-m-a-l to you, half-Elf! and I'd like to see you try!!'

Pio was about to go after Bird, when she heard a tiny, frightened voice ask: 'What is that?'

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-18-2002, 09:16 AM   #230
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Celeaewen looked up to the crows nest, and her eyes lit up.
"I'll never know if I don't try" she said, with a mischevious grin. SHe climbed up the mast, gauged the distance, and dived off, causeing a scramble in the water to get out of her way. She splashed everyone in the immediate vicinity, and was laughing at their half-serious indigant glares, she something smooth and rather slimy ran across her leg.
"what is that?"
Old 07-18-2002, 10:27 AM   #231
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Although Daisy and Rose remained in the water, Child decided to leave to begin dinner preparations. Kali had already caught a number of fish and entrusted them to Child to take down to the galley. She climbed back up the rope until she reached the deck, precariously balancing her load, which consisted of a large new seashell and a pail full of sea bass.

After depositing the fish in the galley, Child dropped by her cabin to get out of her wet clothes. She unlocked the door, a precaution she had taken during the time of the unknown stowaway and which she still adhered to both from caution and habit. For at any given time, she still had a number of older manuscripts and artifacts in her care which she was studying.

Child glanced about the cabin which now seemed quite cramped with all her belongings as well as those of Daisy scattered about in all directions. She laughed in recognition. Apparently, this was one way in which Daisy was a completely normal hobbit. Yet there were others, Child reflected, which seemed to hint that the girl's background and experience hadn't been quite so "normal".

As Child gazed around the room, she noticed a small note sitting on her desk which had not been there before. Now, who had put that there, and how had they gotten in? This time, however, her questions were quickly answered as she surveyed its contents:

Child --

I couldn't resist "burglaring" my way inside your room. You might remember a previous instance when my own possessions were similarly disturbed.

But, this time, I have a good excuse. Veritas and I have completed our studies of the time travel device and our calculations show that there may be some navigational problems, as you suggested earlier. We have come up with some suggestions as to how these may be minimized.

We may be expecting too much of the device by not only asking it navigate thousands of years of history in one instant, but also to come out in the precise location where we need to go. In order to minimize possible distortions, we are advising Mithadan to sail here and now in the Fourth Age to the spot where we actually need to land in Beleriand itself.

This will ensure that the device focus on our chronological destination only, and should minimize any distortions inherent in attempting to transverse so many thousands of years. We are also suggesting that we do the temporal journey in a series of shorter hops, again in hopes of getting closer to our desired target.

This sailing will take some very precise maritime calculations to figure out exactly where, amid the waves, the ancient lands lie. We feel we have the skill and expertise to do th

I have already spoken with Mithadan, and he concurs with this approach.

I did want to thank you for bringing this problem to my attention. And, Child, I am sorry if I have been a little more abrupt than usual. Your friendship means a lot to me, but I have many personal matters on my mind, and I find that these occupy my concerns to a very great degree. I ask your patience and understanding.

Piosennel

Child looked at the note and smiled.

Old 07-18-2002, 12:38 PM   #232
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan shuffled through a series of charts showing the Northeast coast of Middle Earth during the First, Second and Third Ages. He felt relatively comfortable with the latter two, at least for the specific periods during which they had been drawn. The Second Age chart was of Numenorean vintage from late in the Age and was likely to be fairly reliable. He was concerned however that it showed islands and large segments of coastline which were absent on the Third Age map which had been copied from one drawn by Cirdan himself. The First Age map, however, was of late manufacture and was not specifically intended for navigation purposes. Rather it was a historical document. There was no way that he would rely upon it for a direct jump into those waters from their present location. He agreed fully with Piosenniel's suggestion that they proceed in a series of short (temporal) hops, giving themselves plenty of cushion to avoid landing on some uncharted rocky shore. But even that created concerns. Too big a cushion and they might find themselves in the midst of the legendary and uncharted Shadowy Isles which had been created to fence in Valinor during the First Age. Just when they could have used the advise of Tuor and Idril....
Old 07-18-2002, 02:39 PM   #233
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

One of the mer-maids had doubled back in the vicinity of Piosenniel and Birdland, who were still thrusting verbal jabs at each other. This mer-maid was purposely swimming under water, pressing her giant tail against the torsos of whichever unfortunate swimmer happened to be in the way. She had no truly evil intentions, but, like many of her kind, loved to cause serious mischief.

It felt very strange indeed to those like Celeawen who were swimming about. The Elves were annoyed, but not deeply disturbed since they had all seen many strange things in the course of their long journies through Middle-earth. What the mer-maid had not reckoned with, however, was the presence of a young, landbound hobbit who had never dreamed of such a being, let alone actually encountered one.

Daisy's voice rang out, trembling and uncertain. She stared and stared again at the strange sea creature. The mer-maid, however, took this as a challenge turning to face her head on. She swam swiftly towards Daisy, swinging closer and closer. The girl's face which had previously registered apprehension went up several notches to full scale terror. The mer-maid smiled so that her teeth gleemed silver white under the moon's soft rays. She lowered her head and was about to rush forward in hopes of lifting Daisy physically out of the water and redepositing her in a different direction, perhaps some fifty feet distant.

At that instant, Kali came racing up and placed his equally small body between the creature with gleeming teeth and green hair and the cowering figure of Daisy. He had no physical fear of mer-people, since he had dealt with them since childhood. Indeed, he liked mer-people but he knew that they could be brash and intimidating to any who showed fear. And Daisy was definitely radiating fear.

Kali cried out and spoke with the mer-maid in the language of her people, commanding her to back up and leave the two of them alone. The mer-maid grinned, her visage green and wondrous like some picture from a misty dream. She nodded respectfully, and faced around, swimming off into the night.

Daisy, who had stood as if frozen at one spot in the water, immediately began retreating towards the ship. Kali came right behind her. The two of them scrambled up the rope and came onto the deck.

The minute that Daisy's feet hit the wooden boards, she whirled around towards Kali, her face a mask of anger and shame. In a voice that brooked no opposition, she turned on him, "Stay out of my life! I don't need your help. I can take care of myself. I've done it before, and I can do it again. I don't know what kind of creature you are, but stay away from me!"

Below, in the water, there was silence. All eyes had focused on the scene in the Bay. Now, Daisy's loud and hurtful words from the deck of the ship could be heard by everyone. No one knew quite how to respond. Daisy spun around and ran down to the cabin, stumbling through the darkened hallways, seeking a refuge to be alone with her fears.

Kali said absolutely nothing. He went to the stern of the ship and dove into the waters of the night.

The swimming party abruptly broke up. There was silence in the galley as Elves, men, and hobbits sat down to share their dinner. And nowhere could Kali or Daisy be seen.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:02 PM   #234
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The conversation around the table that night was subdued, and Pio added nothing to it. Daisy's words to Kali and Kali's sudden departure were all that were on her mind.

She pulled Bird aside and asked her to seek out Kali. He was the focus of this quest and she would not have the gentle creature abused.

Pio made her excuses and left the galley. Walking down the hall to the cabins, she stopped at Child's door, took a deep breath, and entered the room.

Daisy had been lying on her bunk, crying, but had roused up and looked defiantly at the intruder. 'Go away!', she sniffled. 'Just leave me alone! Everyone hates me!', she burst into tears, again.

Pio looked at her, expressionless. Her voice was icy as she clipped out each word. 'Come down, hobbit. And face me.'

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #235
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Child stood on the deck anxiously, looking out for some sign of Kali. Mithadan approached her quietly and rested a hand on her shoulder.

"He will return," he said. "We are his hope, his Lonely Star. I am not concerned about Kali. His feelings are hurt but they will heal. I am more concerned about Daisy. If she is to become a member of our crew and join in our quest, she must be a comrade -- she must act as our sister. Otherwise she will disrupt our work and our morale. And she has done so already. Her fear and anger have some source; there is some reason behind her behavior. The only person who can discover the source of her angst is you. You are a Hobbit. She understands you and you her. She will trust you. The rest of us are just 'big people' to her. A source of authority and, perhaps, punishment. From my experience, punishing her will do no good. Nor will threats. We must understand her and she must learn to trust us. You must do this, Child."
Old 07-18-2002, 05:54 PM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Daisy slid down slowly from her bunk, her eyes wide. She glanced at the cabin door, wondering if she could make a quick escape. All hope of that left as the elf pushed the door shut, never taking her eyes of the hobbit.

Pio sat herself in a chair, directly in front of the door, to be more of a height with the hobbit. 'Come here Daisy. Stand up straight and let me get a good look at you.' She handed the hobbit a clean handkerchief and gave her time to dab the tears from her face, and blow her nose.

'You've stepped over the line twice, now.' she said in an even voice to the frightened girl. 'The line of courteous behavior and of kindness. Once can be excused. You are new and unaccustomed to the companions with whom we travel. But twice is a different matter.'

Daisy opened her mouth to protest, but the elf cut her off.

'You seem a bright young woman,Daisy, and I had hoped that you could school your temperament and your tongue. But I find it not so. Needs be then, I will be your teacher.' She stood up from the chair and handed Daisy one of child's old rucksacks. 'Now pack what belongings you have in here. You will be bunking with me.'

'With . . . you? Pio?' stammered Daisy.

'Yes, you heard correctly. You will be my shadow, stuck to me by day and night. And here are your beginning lessons. First, when you address me, it will be as ma'am, or Lady Piosenniel. And second, you will not speak with anyone but myself unless you first ask me and I have given you leave to do so. Are we clear on that?'

'Yes', came the grudging reply.

Pio looked at her, eyebrows raised.

'Yes, ma'am.' said Daisy.

'Good. Now hurry up! We need to get your gear stowed in my cabin. Then a quick wash up to make yourself look more presentable. I have a number of things to do tonight, and you will come with me.'

'Ma'am,' said Daisy, following her quickly down the hall. 'What happens if I step over that line you talked about again.'

Pio, opening the door to her cabin said in a very matter of fact tone: 'Then I will put you in a boat and the mer-people will speed you back to Minas Anor. And you will have missed out on the greatest adventure of your life.'

'Oh!' said Daisy as they entered Pio's cabin. & then remembering herself, finished with 'I see, ma'am.'
Old 07-18-2002, 06:02 PM   #237
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Celeaewen watched Daisy following Pio around, and shook her head.
"Poor thing. Though I suppose she deserves it"
Old 07-18-2002, 06:09 PM   #238
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Daisy was carrying her few belongings to Pios cabin, but before she could reach it, Birdie was there in the passageway, dripping wet, arms stretched to block the hall.

"Now where are you off to, little field hand?" she asked mildly. But the look on her face was far from mild.

"I'm...I'm going to my new cabin." stammered Daisy.

"Oh, 'your new cabin', is it? Moving from the one you stole into uninvited, Stowaway?" Suddenly Bird reared up before the hobbit, pulling a little of her Ent persona into play so that she appeared even larger before the 3-foot tween. "Kali was invited on this voyage. In fact, Kali is the very REASON for this voyage. I don't recall that anyone invited you!"

Birdie suddenly clasped Daisy around her throat and pulled her close, lifting the terrified halfling almost off her feet. "And do I ever hear you speak to Kali again in such a manner, YOUR ticket on this voyage will be revoked - by me. You'll wish your swimming skills vastly improved if you find yourself swimming back to Minas Tirith."

Bird dropped Daisy back on deck as suddenly as she had picked her up. Daisy was left kneeling and gasping at her feet. The skin-changer bent low and hissed at the hobbit lass. "I know not what manners you learned in the sties and fields of the Took Estate, but here you will mind your tongue around your betters. And never forget that Kali IS your better, in every way. He is worth ten of you, stowaway."

Straightening and looking down on the now terrified halfing, Bird said. "Remember. I will be watching." Then she strode away and climbed the ladder to the deck.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:57 PM   #239
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Daisy burst into tears after Bird had gone. Pio handed her another handkerchief and waited for her to get hold of herself. When the sobbing had turned to just a few sniffles, she redirected her gently to begin stowing her gear in the cabin.

Pio helped her find places for her meager possessions and make up the small bed across the room from the elf. While they were busy with these few little chores, Pio said to her, 'Those words of Bird's were quite unkind.'

Daisy nodded 'yes', while she slipped the fresh pillow case on the pillow Pio had give her.

'But not unlike in tone to the words you used with Kali, were they?' She picked up her mapcase and the rucksack, to return it to Child's room.

Daisy said nothing further.

'Can you tell me what the difference is between your words and Bird's, Daisy?', she asked as they both went down the hall to Child's room and left the rucksack there.

'I can't think of anything, ma'am.' came the hobbit's small voice, as they headed down the hall toward the stairs.

'No action of Kali's provoked your anger, Daisy. It came up out of yourself, unrecognized. And that is very dangerous to yourself and others.'

'Where did Bird's come from then, ma'am?'

'Your action provoked it, and it came from her sense of protectiveness for both Kali and for the rest of the companions who are on this quest.'

'So she was right and I was wrong, ma'am', asked Daisy.

'No, neither of you were right. But it will be your duty to figure out your part in it. Tomorrow you will see Child and talk to her of your conclusions, and she will tell me of your progress. But now we must talk maps with Mithadan.'

She motioned for Daisy to hurry after her, as they both climbed the stairs to the deck.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-18-2002, 07:34 PM   #240
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child heard Mithadan and Pio discussing maps and navigation in the captain's quarters. As she slid her ear up to the door, she could also hear the muffled sounds of Daisy's sniffling. Child knocked on the door.

"Mithadan, it's Child. Please let me in."

Mitadan went over and pulled open the door. Child coureously relied, "I would like to ask both of you if Daisy could come out with me on the deck and take a little walk. I have a few things I need to discuss with her."

Mithadan and Pio both nodded their heads in consent. Then Child turned to Daisy, "You have hurt me greatly. I am ashamed of your behavior. You make me ashamed to even be a hobbit. Our people are not fiercely brave like Men, nor do we generally create beatiful things like the Dwarves, or Music like the Elves. But the two things we are prized for, from one end of Middle-earth to another, are our laughing ways and our good hearts."

"Something is wrong in your heart, Daisy, that you would act like this, when we have taken you in with kindness."

"I have asked Pio to take you into her cabin and under her strict control to teach you discipline and respect. I think she will be better at that than I would. But, that alone, is not enough. There is some hurt in your heart, and we are going to find out what lies at the bottom of this."

"You have something inside you that needs to come out, and we're going to start working on it now."

"One more thing, when Kali comes back, which he will, you will apologize to him. But words are not enough. You gave words once before, and they meant nothing to you. So we will talk too of how you may make some honest recompense to the hobbrim, who in truth is your cousin, just as he is mine."

Daisy followed Child out the door.