Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2002, 07:58 PM   #241
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The sea was calm and quiet. Everything looked peaceful in the moonlight. The older hobbit and her young charge sat on two barrels looking out to sea.

"Alright," said Child, "Who hurt you? What is in your past that you repay kindness with harsh words? Someone has hurt you badly, for you are thrashing out at those who come across your path in peace."

Daisy looked out at the waves and listened to their sound as they gently lapped against the ship. Then she began to cry. Not the sniffling and fretful tears that she had shown when Pio and Birdland had chastised her, but tears from the very depths of her soul, tears that no young girl should know or understand.

Child was by nature a mother, and she knew what had to be done. There could be no discussion or healing until some of these tears spilled out and took with them the pain that they hid.

Child wrapped Daisy in her arms and drew her head down onto her shoulder. The little body trembled and pressed against her own, clinging to Child as if she was the only safe haven in a very troubled world.

Then the sobs stopped and the little body lay still, still as a swan feather at rest on a silent ocean.

"My mother, my mother," Daisy whispered, "The others did not accept her marriage to my father, because he was different. He loved the Sea, and the winds, and even the storms that blew over the mountains into our village. He looked beyond and saw things that others could not see or understand. Sometimes he even walked in the woods at night and looked for Elves."

"Though, of course," she said sadly, "I don't think he ever found any."

"My mother was raised by her grandparents, and they would not accept my father, Folco Boffin, into our kin. My mother and father had to leave and make their own way in life. And it was a very hard life. Even after he died, they would not help us. My mother finally went away. She gave up trying. She travelled as far as Bree, trying to lose herself in a place where none would know their name."

"And I sweaf to you that, when she died, it was from no mortal illness. For loneliness and tears can kill as swiftly and mercilessly as any disease I know."

Child said nothing. If a Man had said these sad things, she would not have been shocked, but for a hobbit family to do this was simply unheard of. Teasing and comments behind someone's back--Child had herself heard these because of her strange interests as a girl. But to reject a grandaughter, to chase her out of a house.....a hobbit family did not do that.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-18-2002, 08:53 PM   #242
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie swam along the coastline, searching with her eyes, and sending out the echoes of the dolphin kind, anything to try and find Kali. Levanto swam with her, pointing her in the last direction that he had seen the hobbrim go.

She had looked everywhere in the three dimensions of the surrounding sea, but it was Levanto who finally spied him. "There" he had said, pointing to a small cliff of rocks that were pounded by the surrounding waves. A great wall of rocky shoreline was to his back, the waves washing and climbing against it, but he ignored the dancing, dangerous waters around him, only gazing out on the horizon, where Tilion's charge was slowly disappearing into the sea.

"Kal-eeeeee! Come down!" she called. Levanto had backed away from the cliff face. It was too dangerous. Birdie wondered how in Middle-Earth Kali had ever managed to come to such a spot. It took all her skill to hold her place in the water without being dashed against the rock face before her.

"Kali! I can barely hold out against the waves, but I will stay here until you talk to me, even if it means the rocks chew me to bits!" Her dolphin form twisted instinctively as a wave caught her and tried to throw her into the land.

Kali saw this last maneuver, and dived off the rock, knifing through the water away from the sucking tide against the cliff face. Birdie followed him with relief, swimming around him and cutting him off as she gained the open ocean again.

"Kali, what are you doing? We were all worried for you."

Kali looked around Birdie; at the wave, the moon, horizon; everywhere but her face. Finally he said: I'm afraid, Birdee. It seems as if the tales are wrong. The Hobbit Daisy does not accept me as one of her own. Perhaps there will be no meeting of the land and sea folk, as I was taught."

"Daisy hardly represents all Hobbits, Kali. What about Child, and Rose? They certainly have embraced you, and accept you as their cousin."

Kali made a universal gesture when any people are at a loss for words or explanation: he shrugged, and studied his long feet waving back and forth in the current.

"Oh, I know, hate and rejection can have such power, said Bird, "but you mustn't let it win out over the love that has been shown to you by all the others on the 'Lonely Star'. After all, you've earned that love. Daisy's feelings towards you have nothing to do with you, and everything to do with how she has been treated by other people. She is to be pitied, Kali. That's all. She has no power over you or your destiny."

"Has she been treated badly, Birdee?" asked Kali.

"Perhaps. I can think of no other explanation for her most un-hobbit like behavior. Come, Kali. Come back to the ship. No one there will let her hurt you. You have friends on your side. Don't let her destroy your faith in your cause. Or yourself."

"Alright, then. I will come back. But it has been so long Birdee. I did not know that adventures could last so long."

Birdee laughed, a strange whistling sound that echoed through the water. "Some say adventures never end, but I don't think that will be your fate, Sea Halfling. Come on. The others are waiting."

The swam back towards the "Lonely Star" side-by-side in silence. As the vessel came into view through the night, the could see lanterns hung along the sides, and people on the rail calling out "Kali! "Kali!", and a few times "Birdie!"

They raised their heads to call back to the crew. Birdie drew breath through her blowhole to call back to Child and Pio, but when she tried to holler back, the sound that came out shocked both her and Kali. Instead of "We're here!", a sharp, shrill whistle came from the skin-changer. She tried again, but again the only sound that she could make was a dolphin's whistle.

Birdie stopped dead in the water, looking wildly about her. For a minute she looked at Kali with a air of almost panic. Then shaking her head violently, said to Kali in a strained voice "Get me to the ship, Kali."
Old 07-18-2002, 10:43 PM   #243
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child and Daisy were sitting and quietly talking on the far side of the deck when they heard Bird's sharp whistles for assistance. Pio was the first to respond to tne note of panic and fear which was so clearly evident in Bird's pleas for help. Bird's dolphin body sat unwielding and unchanging, her eyes blinking up at them riddled with fear.

Pio turned around with bitterness in her face. "Bird was out far and long searching for Kali. She has found him, but I do not like what I see. I know little about these ancient secrets, but I am afraid she has given too much and stayed out in the ocean too many hours. I hope she will find her way back."

At this point, Pio turned around, and glared at Daisy. She said nothing, but the thoughts on her face were easy to read. If there had been no argument, if Daisy had treated Kali with respect, they would not be sitting here worrying about their friend.

Pio spoke to Child, "Go now and get the hobbit girl back to my cabin. Stay with her till I come back." Child weakly nodded.

Child whispered, "If Bird needs me, just have Khelek come and knock on the door."

Kali and Pio sat unmoving beside the shapechanger.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:16 AM   #244
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio sat as close as she could to the dolphin, placing her body in contact with Bird's. She had asked Kali to haul up sea water and keep the dolphin body wet. Looking Bird in the eye, she leaned near her and said softly, 'Listen to me, Bird, I'm going to call you back with some music from another life, some tunes from a Welshman.'

The elf cleared her throat, and sang in a clear, low voice the lyrics from 'La Peste', and then worked her way through 'Exile on Coldharbour Lane'. Over and over until dawn the words ran over the dolphin mixed with the water from Kali's bucket, until the radiant morning star peeked over the horizon.

Kali was very tired, and Pio's voice had turned gravelly, but on she sang, eyes half closed -

U don't dans 2 Tekno anymore!
I don't see you under the strobe light
on the dance floor.
It's been awhile, since I saw your ultraviolet smile,
And U don't dans 2 Tekno anymore . . .

'Enough!" came a thin voice, as the elf started the next verse. 'I thought I'd never hear enough of those lyrics, but by the One, Pio, I think you've driven all love of them straight out of me!'

Pio and Kali lay exhausted on the deck. 'And you're welcome, too!' said the elf with her eyes closed.

'Thanks! and all that!' came the welcome voice of Bird. 'But HEY!!! can anyone bring me a robe?

Getting no response from the sleeping forms on the deck, Bird wrapped a tarp around her and went downstairs to her cabin.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-19-2002, 01:11 AM   #245
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio roused herself from sleep and got to her feet. She picked the slumbering Kali up from the deck and carried him downstairs to his bed. His arms were wrapped around her neck, his head tucked into the hollow of her throat. As she laid him down on his bunk, he sighed and said softly, 'Strange songs, Pio. But they work very good.' He rolled to his side and dropped back into slumber.

Pio looked in her cabin - there was Child lying on her bed, her arms wrapped around Daisy. She covered them with a thin quilt and went up to the helm deck.

The sun was still new in the clear sky, and the morning breeze was brisk as she leaned against the balustrade and looked as far out to the West as she could. She shivered as the breeze gusted for a moment.

A voice spoke from behind her. 'Here, I brought this for you. Thought it might warm you.'
Old 07-19-2002, 01:33 AM   #246
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child and Daisy had been talking for some time, when the older hobbit excused herself to go to the galley and pick up some food. Before she returned to the cabin, she checked back on deck and heard the good news that Bird was going to be alright. She raced back to tell Daisy.

Daisy's face relaxed a bit after she heard that Bird had pulled through. She visibly sighed and shook her head. "It would have been my fault, if anything had happened to her," the hobbit whispered soberly.

"No, Daisy, not really. What you did to Kali was wrong, but you did not intentionally hurt Bird."

"Bird had a free choice to go out and help Kali who is her friend. She could have said yes, or she could have said no. But her heart told her to do it. And, if something had happened, Bird would have accepted that as the price she had agreed to pay, even if that choice brought sadness."

"Just like Bird, you have that same choice every day you live. You can choose to exercise the same cruelty that the people showered on you and your mother. You can choose to show disrespect towards Kali because he looks different on the outside. Or you can break away from all that, and find your own path in life. It isn't easy, but it is possible."

"And I will promise you one thing. I will not desert you. I will stand by your side if danger arises. And I know that every person on this vessel would make that same promise to you."

"Daisy, think about this. You must have loved your mother very much. If you didn't love her, if you didn't care so much about her, you wouldn't be so angry now, angry at the people who treated her with so little kindness or respect. Let the anger go and build on the love. Everything you have told me about her, her dreams for you, and her feelings for your father, tells me she would have wanted it that way."

"Oh, yes, and don't be surprised if Kali avoids you for a bit. He is shy to begin with, and now he has been hurt. If I were you, I'd think of something nice to do to show him you are truly sorry."

"But what can I do? Daisy queried.

Child laughed, "Isn't it obvious? You're a hobbit, and he's a hobbim. Cook him a meal with all his favorite foods. It always worked for me when my husband was alive, and he was upset with me. Now go to sleep. It's very late and Mistress Pio has an unending supply of chores for you tomorrow."

Child kissed the girl on her forehead and lay down beside her. Daisy cuddled into her side. Within a few moments, they had both fallen asleep.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-19-2002, 01:40 AM   #247
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC--See you the end of this month, unless I manage to dredge up a computer on vacation. Have fun, and feel free to use my characters. sharon
Old 07-19-2002, 01:48 AM   #248
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The kettle was bouncing along with a teacup balanced precariously on its lid. Sliding to a halt, it looked around before navigating carefully down steps, around doors, between feet.

With a quick snap, it propelled the cup upwards, which tumbled down and landed upright, causing the kettle to give a smug toot. With great care, it poured tea into the cup and then regarded the sleeping form of Kali.

Then with another toot, it bounced off again back to the kitchen.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:54 AM   #249
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeaewen was stolling the deck of the ship, when a clanking noise around the corner made her pause. Ket hopped around the corner, whistling to itself. Celeaewen jumped, before she rembered about the living kettle.I wonder what Kali would think of this she thought, chuckling, as she picked the kettle up.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:06 AM   #250
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

Kettle beamed as it was picked up by Celeaewen and tooted happily. All this traveling in a rush had already given it a dent that it was very displeased about.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:35 AM   #251
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara dropped a flask of miruvor at Pio's feet.

'Thank you! There are too many things to be done today and too little sleep to fuel me.' She poured a little of the liquid into the flask cap and sipped at it.

'So, what do you and your new little charge have planned this day?' The dragon perched on the railing, looking out to sea. 'Any more *diversions* in store for the crew?'

'Now that was a fiasco, wasn't it!?' sighed the elf. 'No, I think we'd better get down to the business of finding Beleriand and getting prepared to actualy be there.'

'How much do you think the rest of the crew knows about the 1st Age or Beleriand?' asked the dragon.

'Not much, I think. Mithadan, perhaps some, and Child, from her studies. But even for them it's dusty ancient history at best, or the stuff of myth and story. What do you think of having Child do a brief course on the history of Beleriand - hitting the high points, say: Where the major settlements of the Elves were, the Wars, the major players. I can loan her a map or two. Perhaps Mithadan would agree to point out a few strategic areas we will be concentrating on for our time jumps.'

'Might work, but remind Child that the lectures can't be too long or too detailed, or she'll lose her audience.'

Pio took another small sip of miruvor and resealed the flask. She slipped it in her pocket and made to go downstairs to wake Daisy, when the dragon spoke once more.

'One other thing, elf. Perhaps you should speak with Khelek about his knowledge of the Sunken Lands. I heard him humming to himself the other day. A song not heard for ages - from Beleriand.'
Old 07-19-2002, 04:58 PM   #252
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ooc: HEY EVERYONE!! Wow! Alot has happened. Poor Daisy, you think I could charge you all of tween abuse? LOL! The poor hobbit needs a hug. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ::

After swimming Rose had withdrawn herself from the action. She had hovered around watching and listening. When Daisy was first found Rose had been very happy for the chance of a playmate. It wasn't as if she wasn't having fun and her friends were all plesant to be around. But Daisy had been a good friend of Rose once and was more her age.

However, Rose was dissapointed when she bairly was able to get close to the young hobbit. She felt Daisy was being treated too harshly for her first real adventure. She had hoped to comfort her but could never find her on her own.

So instead she brooded about the ship ignoring her chores. She was not afraid of Mithadan's wrath if she didn't do her work. He would probably not notice with all the recent problems anyway.

Then with a mind to get a snack Rose headed for the kitchen where she found a copper kettle bouncing about in Celeaewen's hands. She imediatly identified it. "Kettle of Fish!? How did you get here?" then she looked up at the elf as if she expected the answer from her.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:59 PM   #253
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Daisy was up and dressed by the time Pio had gotten to the cabin. Child was nowhere to be seen. 'Had breakfast, yet?,' asked the elf.

'No, Ma'am.' she replied and Pio smiled at her.

'Then let's hurry before Bird and Child eat the rest of the berry jam.'

At the mention of Bird's name, Daisy blanched, and stammered out, 'Is she all right, ma'am?'

'Yes, she is, Daisy. It's really none of your fault what happened to her. And I wanted to apologize for acting so cold to you during that incident. I have no excuse except to say I was very frightened for the life of my good friend, and acted out of that fear. If you will accept my apology, I will do better next time.'

The hobbit thought for a moment and said, 'Yes, I will accept it, Lady Pio.'

The two had a quiet breakfast of tea, toast and jam, and eggs. Pio spent the time looking at a particular book of maps in which she had made notations over the years, and Daisy just enjoyed the food and the sunshine streaming through the porthole.

When they were done, they both straightened the eating area. Pio then went up to the helm with Daisy following.

Veritas was at the wheel, the wind filled their sails, and the ship was clipping along at a steady speed. Pio discussed their position with Veritas, and pointed out to Daisy both their position as plotted on the map in her hand and the sighted landmarks off starboard.

Pulling a crate in front of the wheel, Pio stood Daisy on it and let Veritas show her how to hold a steady course using the ship's compass.

'Hold her steady, now, little mate!' said Veritas with a laugh, 'You've got the helm; she's in your hands!'

'Yes, ma'am!' came the crisp reply from the beaming hobbit. She was both thrilled and terrified that the ship was now her responsibility.

Veritas bent over a map that Pio had unrolled and placed on one of the barrelhead. She traced the ships course so far for today. 'There are the Ered Nimrais.' She pointed with the tip of her finger. 'And here is Ras Morthil.' She indicated the cape at the northwest edge of the Bay of Belfalas. 'We have just come round Andrast - its peninsula, and are heading into Belegaer, the Great Sea.'

Pio frowned and calculated distances in her head. 'This means in four or five days we could be near the Gulf of Lune.' She looked at Veritas.

'Yes. Providing the wind and weather holds for us.'

'Hmm . . and from the Gulf of Lune to Tol Morwen, about, say, another two days.' She looked northward, as if she would will the island into view. 'Then we must be ready to try the crystal device by then.'

Veritas looked northward, too , and wished she had Mithadan's PC with which to work out their problem.

Old 07-19-2002, 09:20 PM   #254
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio glanced toward Daisy to see how she was doing. The brisk wind had blown her curls all about her face, and rouged them with its coolness. But she stood firm and kept the ship on a true course. There was a light in her eyes as she looked ahead, and her easy stance at the wheel gave off an air of contentment and surety.

Veritas nudged Pio. She seems well suited to this.

Yes, I think this might be just the place for her to blossom! She looked at Veritas inquiringly.Will you take her on and teach her to be a navigator if I send her to you

Of course, Pio! With pleasure!

Veritas bent to the map once more, seeking a certain landmark. 'Was this where you meant to put in for a while?', she asked.

Pio looked to the map. 'Yes, anywhere near that, where you can put in safely. It should only take an hour for us to get what we need.'

Veritas went to Daisy and showed her the navigational map, explaining the symbols for currents and for hidden reefs, rocks, and other obstructions. She told her that when the ship reached the area they sought, that she would take the helm from Daisy and show her how to pilot the ship safely in near shore.

'You have about two hours before we drop anchor.' said Veritas. 'If you like, Daisy can stay here with me while you attend to other business.'

Pio thanked her and hurried off to find Child.

Old 07-19-2002, 09:48 PM   #255
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She found Child and Mithadan sitting together in the galley, discussing all the clues that had come to light since the beginning of this journey. Mithadan was talking and Child was drawing a diagram incorporating all the facts they had discovered. There were bold lines indicating direct connections with facts and clues and what they knew of First Age History, and dotted lines indicating more tenuous connections. It was a large, complicated diagram and Pio wondered in amazement at its thoroughness.

'That's exactly what we need!', said the elf out loud. Both the Man and the hobbit looked up at her in surprise, both having been so engrossed in their talk that they had not noticed her enter.

'What is exactly "what"', said Child, pushing her reading glasses up to the top of her head and eyeing Pio.

'Your diagram! It's just the place to start for your lectures to the crew.'

'My lectures? . . . to the crew?' asked Child, in puzzlement.

'I'm sorry', said Pio, 'I've jumped ahead of myself. We will be well within the waters over Beleriand by tomorrow and at Tol Fuin sometime near the end of the week.'

Mithadan raised his eyebrows at this statement.

'That is, given the continued graces of a good wind and fair weather.' she directed toward him.

'What I'd like you to do, Child, being our resident scholar, is to put together some short, informal talks on the areas we'll be going to, their history, geography, types of people, etc. The crew will need to know what to expect when we jump in time.'

'Excellent idea.' said Mithadan, 'and Child is just the one to do it. Good choice!'

Child beamed at this, and Pio could see her calculating already just what she planned to do.

'I'll supply any maps you need.' offered the elf, and sit in whenever you need as will Mithadan.' She looked to him for confirmation, and he shook his head in agreement.

'Well, this will certainly be a challenge,'said Child gathering her papers from the table, 'but I relish the thought of sinking my teeth into it!' She retreated through the door and could be heard murmuring to herself, 'Now where shall I start? Oh, I know! Now where is that book I need to reference it?.' Her steps grew fainter down the hall - 'Angara, come help, please' would be the last they heard from her for the next two days.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:26 PM   #256
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Mithadan motioned for Pio to take a seat at the table. He stood up and
pulled out a large map that he and Child had been studying, and rolled it out on the table, securing the corners with tea mugs.

'I'm concerned,' he said,looking at the hazily sketched drawings of the submerged Beleriand lands, 'that once we reach our destination we will not be able to find the necessary places to make the time jumps. In fact, I'm beyond concerned, it frankly frightens me. We could endanger ourselves and our ship if we cannot plot the jump precisely. I had hoped that Idril and Tuor would be here to guide us, but now that they are gone, I cannot think how we will accomplish this.' He shook his head in puzzlement and dropped his hand wearily to the map.

She waited for him to sit down, then opened her map case and took out an old navigational map, well drawn and annotated by the hand of many who had used it. 'If it comforts you, Mithadan, Tuor gave me this map to help us find the way.'

He looked at the map closely, and still sighed as he sat back in his chair. 'This will be a great help', he acknowledged, 'but still it would be easier had someone from that time and place been here to guide us. I cannot see how we can do this.'

'With the grace of Ulmo, Mithadan we will acomplish this quest. Finding Kali's family is only a small thread in the tapestry we are woven into. There are larger forces that move with us, and help will come to us along the way.'

He looked at the elf. 'And how is it you know this?'

Veritas could be heard calling Pio's name. 'Ah, we must be where I need to put ashore! Let us talk of this later, when things are not so rushed, and I will tell you what I can.'

She ran upstairs, leaving Mithadan to puzzle at her words.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:59 AM   #257
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

They had passed some twenty miles up the coast off Drùwaith Iaur, when Veritas took the wheel from Daisy, who stood by watching his every move. He put the ship as close as he could to shore, and then shouted for the crew to drop anchor.

Pio called for Rose, Cele, and Khelek to accompany her ashore. Two boats were lowered to the water - Pio and Rose in one, and Khelek and Cele in the other.

Once on land, Pio handed each of them a stout hatchet and lead them to an outcropping of trees.

'I need some staves cut, about this long and this large around.' She indicated the dimensions with her hands. 'About ten of them will do. So if Cele and Rose will get two apiece, Khelek and I will find three each.'

Cele and Rose went in among the trees. 'Try to get them as straight as possible!' shouted Pio after them.

Khelek and she went a short way further north before they entered the stand of trees. Their axes rang as they soon found young saplings of just the right dimension. They cut them to length, stripped them of bark. and shaved down all the bumps from little branchings they had hewn off.

When they had finished they sat for a while in the shade. There was an unobstructed view of the beach where they had moored their boats, and Pio kept an eye out for the return of the hobbit and the other elf.

'Angara mentioned,' she said to Khelek, 'that she had spoken with you the other day. Khelek nodded his head, 'yes'. 'She said she had heard you humming a tune and asked you about it.'

He looked at her and waited for her to continue, not knowing where this might lead.

'She said that you had learned it in Minas Tirith. Is this true?'

'No, what I recall saying is that it came to me in Minas Tirith.' said Khelek. 'I think it is a song I heard once long ago, but I can't remember when or where. I do know I was looking at some of the lore books in the library concerning the captives of Morgoth in Angband, when I recalled some fragments from a verse of it and the tune came back to me. I have been humming it on and off since then.'

'Do you know the name of it?' she asked.

''I don't think I ever knew.' he replied.

She asked him to hum what he knew of the tune, and he complied. He had gone through what he knew of it twice, when she stopped him.

'You truly do not know that which you sing?' she asked. He shrugged, and gave a negative shake to his head. 'What is it?' he asked.

'It is "The Lay of Leithian" / Release from Bondage - a song of Beleriand.'

A song of Beleriand, he thought to himself. 'Can you teach me the words?'

'Yes, but not now. Look! Rose and Cele have returned to the boats. We must get back to the ship and on our way.'

They loaded the staves and then themselves back onto the boats and rowed back the short distance to the Lonely Star.

Just before they got there, Rose asked, 'What are we doing with all these sticks, Pio?'

'We're going to practice swordfighting, Rose. And I'm counting on you to help me teach the others, using these as practice swords.'

'So you think we may need swords in Beleriand?' said Rose.

'We may, Rose. So, I want us all to be prepared.'

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-20-2002, 06:27 AM   #258
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

Kettle looked at the staves of wood and the figures preparing for their fighting lessons. Mournfully, it hoped that it would know how to protect itself in a fight.
Old 07-20-2002, 06:58 AM   #259
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Everyone had gathered on deck and were using the last rays of sun to start learning to sword fight. But instead of there being one teacher they all found themself teaching eachother the bits and pieces they new.

Rose found that her use with a sword was still very premature and she learned alot. Daisy new almost nothing before they started but she learned quickly and soon became better then Rose. Even Kali was able to learn after Pio asured him that the sword would only be used for defence purposes.

As Rose went to the side of the ship to rest she noticed Kettle sitting and watching everyone else. "Don't worry Kettle. " said Rose asuringly, " We can find you some kind of weapon."
Old 07-20-2002, 10:04 AM   #260
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio watched the crew trying their 'blades'. She let them play for a while, and then began to pair them up - an experienced fighter with a novice. Daisy she took for her own pupil.

Lining each pair up, she took them through their beginning paces - some short comments on grips and stances, and then a basic defensive lesson on parrying.

They worked hard for a good hour, until the lesson had almost become an automatic response. Then she told them to put up their 'swords' and come to dinner.

'That was good work, Daisy', she said to the hobbit lass, who had managed to get only a few small bruises when her blade failed to turn Pio's. 'It will be a great advantage to have someone like you at our side, should we need to defend ourselves.'

Daisy beamed, and followed her down to the galley.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:49 PM   #261
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Supper being got over, the crew went up on deck to enjoy the stars for a while and talk quietly among themselves. It had been a long, busy day and for the most part they were tired. After a while, one by one they said their good-nights and went off to bed.

The deck was quiet, and Pio sat on the bow railing, watching the moon's silver path on the water rise and fall with waves.

Angara sat nearby watching the elf.

Do you never sleep, Elf?

When there is time, I will sleep. But now I must puzzle out a few more details before we reach the Gulf of Lune.

What then?

Then, my dear wingéd friend, I think we shall pull far out to open sea and chance a flight to get the lay of the sunken lands.

I see. Then I shall go off to sleep now. It will require all my strength to have to carry your carcass about!

And with that remark, the dragon quickly flew to the mast top, before Pio could respond.

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-20-2002, 04:25 PM   #262
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: Alright, we need something to slow the pace and make things intresting. And since we've all been hoping for good weather I think we should get in trouble with mother nature.::

As Pio sat on the deck and the others slept in thier quarters unknown to them the winds started to shift. And on the horizon a stormclowd was forming silently sheilded by the dark of night.

And Pio suddenly felt small raindrops on her cheeck.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:41 PM   #263
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Khelek went up to the deck for a breath of fresh air, standing on the starboard side to watch the horizon. Uncannily, clouds formed overheard and the weather worsened with great speed. Soon, it was a torrential downpour of freezing cold rain.

"Loos like a storm's coming up," Poi said, coming up. "We had better warn the others and prepare."
Old 07-20-2002, 09:51 PM   #264
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The whirling storm clouds were mirrored in the shiny copper surface of the kettle. Rain drops fell, and soon a rising layer of water was building up inside the open kettle.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Kettle of fish ]
Old 07-21-2002, 01:54 AM   #265
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: Please don't slow the story down - I want to be near Beleriand by the time Mithadan comes back to the boards. We need to make some time jumps, to see how to put the ship safely down where and when we want it. By the time Child returns, we need to be ready for the rescue of the hobbits from Tol Fuin, the bringing of the hobbits back to middle earth from Numenor, and the reunion of Kali with his family.

On the other hand, if this is not the consensus - then please let me know and I will bow out of the process.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:13 AM   #266
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: I'm sorry, I didn't know we were on a scedual. The storm doesn't have to last that long. I just thought we needed somthing fun to do. But whatever you all want is fine.::

Rose was awakened by the sound of feet overhead. She went on deck to find everyone preparing for the storm that was now coming upon them.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:02 AM   #267
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The kettle started to float haphazardly, trying to make its way back inside the ship. Luckily, the door opened as one of the hobbits came out. This sucked in a lot of water, including the water that the kettle was bobbig on. With a clang, it bounced down the stairs to the safety below. That had been a close call. Any wave could have washed it overboard.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Kettle of fish ]
Old 07-22-2002, 05:31 AM   #268
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie had watched the taming of Daisy with a jaundiced eye. She did not believe that the little cat could change her stripes so easily; it would take more than some practice with wooden swords before the skin-changer would trust her on this adventure. Sometimes, Birdie could have a rather unforgiving nature. She avoided the Halfling stowaway whenever she saw her.

Bird was on deck with Veritas, taking her turn at watch and helping with the wheel as the great ship rode the squall out. The wind was blowing steadily, sending rain into their faces and waves over the deck. Somewhere Bird heard a kettle clang as it bounced down the stairs, and worried if the galley had been secured properly before the storm.

It was a night for troubled sleep, and Bird wondered how this storm was effecting the dreams of her companions. Particularly Kali, who was more used to riding out storms below the sea rather than in a pitching, rolling, stuffy cabin.

And far, far away, Birdie could still hear the calls of the Dolphin-Folk, as they too rode out the storm.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 07-22-2002, 07:58 AM   #269
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The heavens were unleashing their fury upon the ship, creating mountain ranges of the waves and vicious winds that tore at flesh and wood.

More than one life lost in the turmoil thought, 'Surely we will sink'.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:59 PM   #270
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The sudden storm had awakened Daisy. Coming up to the deck, she looked for Pio who was busy lashing down a canvass thrown over some of the crates on deck. 'Here, let me help, ma'am', she said as she grabbed a rope flailing in the wind.

Once done, both went up to the helm, to see how Veritas and Bird were faring. Pio asked Daisy to assist Bird. Bird turned a baleful eye toward Pio, but since help was needed she accepted it in icy silence.

Pio took Veritas aside to confirm their position. 'I think we should turn her and head out to open sea.', said Veritas, her words almost lost in the wind. 'This squall is probably limited in area, and I think with the wind behind us, we can move to calmer waters.' The elf agreed, and left Bird and Veritas to refigure the ship's course.

Taking Daisy, she headed back below to see what needed securing. On their way down the steps to the helm, she heard Bird give a grudging 'thanks' to Daisy, and smiled.

Once below, they checked the galley, and saw the large kettle rolling helplessly on the floor, banging into chair and table legs. Pio picked up the kettle and put it safely in a cabinet just its size and locked the latch securely. 'Best you stay here until the storm is done.', she said to it before she put it away. 'Wouldn't want you to get too many dents in your sides. I'll come back directly after we are in calmer waters and let you out.'

Daisy and she went to check on the other crew members and to reassure them.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-22-2002, 03:24 PM   #271
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC:

KETTLE - please respond to the PM's I've sent you. Would be happy to discuss the storyline with you.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:24 PM   #272
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose was trying to find someway she could help when Pio and Daisy came up to her.
"I think we're alright." Pio said. "We're just going to stear out of the storm.

At that moment Kali came up the stairs. "What is..." then he noticed Daisy. He gave her a frightened glance then turned and made his way back to the lower decks. Rose went to follow him but was thown down by a gust. The wind was getting really strong and all around people where struggling to stay on thier feet.

"I don't think this is just a thunderstorm." said Rose.

ooc: I like the idea of being picked up and dropped in a convienent area.::

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 07-23-2002, 02:57 AM   #273
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The storm had indeed been a powerful one, moving the ship swiftly westward, like a seabird through the air, about four hundred miles off the coast from Vinyalondë. When day broke, fair and clear the following morning, there was no coastline visible, only open sea and gentle waves.

Bird and Veritas lay in exhausted slumber on the helm deck, having covered themselves with a tarp. Pio stood at the helm with Kali beside her, Daisy being still asleep in the cabin. The elf had lashed the wheel in position to hold them on a westward course, and was using the sextant and compass to determine the location of the ship. Kali looked askance at the intruments, wondering how these two pieces of metal knew where they were. Pio explained their workings as she went along, but still it puzzled him.

His wondering was cut short by the arrival of Mithadan on deck, who looked as if the rough, stormy seas had kept him up most of the night.

Mithadan looked toward the now long gone coast, then at the compass, and frowned.

'Where in Arda are we?', he asked, taking a look at the navigational charts. 'And why are we heading West?'

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-23-2002, 03:07 AM   #274
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

Land at last. The sight of it seemed a pleasant sight after so many days of nothing but sea.
Not all were happy though, some wore expressions of bewilderment or worry.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:03 AM   #275
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeaewen's eyes were rather salt-crusted, for she had spent the night helping on deck. She was having great trouble seing through the salt crystals on her lashes, And ecided that a little (non-salty) water never hurt anyone.
"Now, where did I put my soap?"

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]
Old 07-23-2002, 06:32 AM   #276
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie awoke to a bright, hot sun streaming down on the tarp which she and Veritas had huddled under after their turn at the wheel was over. She gave a suspicious sniff and looked down at the slumbering Elf. Whooo! Even an Elf could stand a bath after a night of storm and hard work! (Bird didn't even want to think what she smelled like.)

She stood and stretched, then gave Veritas a nudge with her foot. She immediately awoke and wrinkled her nose, giving the skin-changer a sideways look. Then she too threw off the tarp, and leapt up in a far more jaunty manner then Birdie had.

"Where are we?" she asked, scanning the horizon around them. They noticed Pio and Mith working at the charts and walked over to find the answer.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:05 AM   #277
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

A derisive voice broke Kettle's joyous outburst.
"You silly kettle, that is a mirage - only the ghost of land"
A puff of smoke billowed from Angara's nostrils as she regarded the upset kettle.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:02 PM   #278
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Daisy had woken up. She was badgering Pio and Mith. Hovering around them and talking nonstop. After a minute of this Pio finnaly looked up from the charts and snapped at Rose to take Daisy somewhere else. Rose could tell Pio had had a hard night. She lead Daisy down to the lower decks her own cabin. As soon as the door was shut Daisy burst into a tantrum. "It's not fair! That thing was with her all night and she didn't send it away at all. She thinks I'm a horrible person just because I don't like that thing. I mean can you blame me?" She gave Rose a penatrating stare. "Yes. Of course you do. You havn't done anything in my favor either. And we were supposed to be friends."

"Daisy." said Rose softly. And even though Daisy had been shouting she was able to quiet her. "Sit down. I DO understand. I think they're being too harsh too. This is your first real adventure and they're expecting too much. But that doesn't mean that your behavior is all that great. Why do you think Kali is horibble?"

"He looks like a monster."
"And you look like a little girl who should be home learning to sew. What if you were judged by your looks? Because you and I know that your much more then that. Can't you understand that Kali is much more then he seems? He is a decendent of a breed of hobbit that took to the sea. They changed their apperance in order to survive in the water. If he looked like a regualar hobbit he would be the same person. Daisy I know how scary it can be. Sometimes I see him coming out of the dark and for a fleeting instant I recoil. But then I remember who he really is. Do you understand?"

Daisy nodded. "But they will still hate me."

"I don't think so. Even if they wanted to our current situation forbids it. We're all going to be one happy family whether we like it or not. But I think it would be even better if you proved your worth liking."

"Like what?"
"Making it up to Kali."
"How?"
"Dinner?"
"Can you help me?"
"Lets get started."
Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 PM   #279
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC---here I am at my brother's house in Michigan. He has computer with a strange keyboard so my typing may look weird. Probably won't post again till we get to Toronto Thursday night. My mom doesn't have a computer. Havinga good time. Went on a boat ride on the river and it really went UP and DOWN. Ugh! (Child almost got seasick)

Once Child heard that Daisy had agreed to her idea of cooking a fine meal for Kali, she decided to give her a hand. The one thing Child definitely knew about was cooking meals for very hungry hobbits. She suspected that feasts for hobbrim would not be too different.

She sat down with Rose and Daisy to review the provisions in the galley and to think about something special that Daisy might make. Even Bird, who harbored suspicions about the hobbit girl, agreed to help gather special seafood delcacies which they would need for Kali's feast.

Before long, Child had Bird hunting for the eggs of seabirds nestled in the rocky outcrops which stood along the shallower waters close to the shoreline itself. When the wind died down and the ship stood still, Child begged Pio to drop anchor for a bit and had Rose get in the small dinghy with a net and pole to try her hand at fishing.

Child dragged out several old cookbooks tucked away in the galley, as she and Daisy poured over them. When they couldn't find exactly what they wanted, Child ransacked her memories of family recipes which she had served to her husband for the many years they had shred a home and raised their children.

Finally, they came up with a list of foods which they knew to be Kali's favorites:

Steamed Clams
Devilled seabird eggs
Stuffed Sea Salmon
Seaweed Pie
Fried Searooms

To this they added a number of delicacies which they had secured in the markets of Minas Tirith:

Roast Beef and bread pudding
Saffron Cake
Fine ale

The finest touch was to be a large bowl of fresh fruits which were the very last of their store.

Mithadan came down and put his head through the door at all the noise and activity in the galley.

He laughed, "Even a whole village of hobbits and hobbrim could not finish the piles of food which you are preparing here!"

Child promised that the leftovers would be plentiful enough to feed the entire crew for dinner. But she made Mithadan promise to give Daisy some time to set out her table, and let the two have a quiet meal first.

Finally, after hours of scavenging, cooking, and baking, Daisy's feast was ready. Child sent off Rose to go retrieve Kali and bring him down to the galley.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:47 PM   #280
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Once Pio had been notified of Daisy's dinner with Kali it had been her and Veritas's job to keep Kali at the helm of the ship and away from his suprize.

So that's where Rose found the hobrim. She led him down to the galley promising a meal. At the entrance she made believe that she had to go fetch somthing and told Kali to go ahead by himself.

Kali walked into the gally to find a nervious Daisy waiting for him.