Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2003, 11:40 AM   #81
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

You can usually do two months, that's the time I put on my RPG, but...I guess with the bandwith thing...we might not be able to. We probably could, right goodly mods?

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Yay! Head cook bio coming up!

*-Durelin-*
Old 05-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #82
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
Maika- "evil maids" are cool, but I´m not so sure if we shouldn´t leave the guys out of there... I mean, of course you can write stuff like "She met her husband", but I don´t think someone should PLAY that husband. Because afterall this is a "Women Only" RPG... so yeah, I don´t think so. That´s just my opinion though.
I'm not sure this would be a problem. I mean, I don't think we ought to write entire posts from a male's point of view, but I don't think it takes away from the "Women only-ness" for someone to post "Denethor looked up in surprise as Finduilas swept into the room..." or whatever, am I making sense?

as for titles:

Quote:
Emissaries of Silk
I loved this one. I don't have very many good ideas otherwise, but if someone who's good with titles can think of one that has to do with rumors that would be great. If a large part of the RPG is going to occur at the parties it could have something to do with a mask? *bites lip* I don't think these are any good...

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #83
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Ack! Another question... Is Ecthelion's wife around? Is Finduilas getting a mother-in-law?

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-26-2003, 12:02 PM   #84
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

8 weeks would be cutting it close for this RPG, I think, since it seems there will be much subterfuge and subplot deepening in it.

How about we say 8 to 10 weeks? That way you will get a notice from me at 6 weeks and then again at 8 weeks that the game needs to move to its stated end goal.

I do need to clarify a couple of areas with you:

Who are(is) the owner(s) of the game? I prefer that it be 3 or less people. It's easier for me to coordinate with them. And will all the owners share the same ability to make decisions for the game, or will their be one chief owner and the others will defer to her decisions?

I am also thinking there will be dedicated character spots for those who have helped in the planning process. Correct?

When you submit the Game Proposal, I only need the Character Descriptions of each owner and their First Posts on it, for the game to be reviewed. Plus a simple list under Character's Needed of writer's names who will have a dedicated character for the game.

The other writers, then, should submit their Character Bios and First Posts to the owners (and it would be good if the owners dedicated ONE person to receive them). The owners will then review those themselves and ask for changes or additions via PM.

Once they are satisfactory, then submit them to me IN THE ORDER IN WHICH YOU WANT THEM POSTED ON THE GAME.

OR - you can set up this process at the END of the Planning Thread after the Game Proposal is done and sent in - I just need all the posts for the additional writers together, in one place, and preferably in order, or with a clear list of names for me in order. It makes it easier for me to set up the Game.

All the Character Bios and the First Posts of the dedicated characters must be in before I open the Discussion Thread for the Game.

To Summarize:

Submit the Game Proposal with:

1.) Character Bios and First Posts for the owner(s) only.

2.) A list, under Characters, of the names of the writers who will have dedicated character spots in the game. (This is in addition, of course, to the other characters needed that prospective gamers will be able to try out for.)

Then, by PM or at the end of this Planning Thread:

Gather all the Character Bios with attached First Posts for the those on your list of dedicated characters - either put them in order, if you receive them by PM, and send them to me.

OR have your writers for these dedicated characters place them at the END of this discussion thread, grouped together, with a list for me at the end of this group of the order in which they are to appear on the Game.

Thanks! ~~ Pio

email: piosenniel@barrowdowns.com
Old 05-26-2003, 12:06 PM   #85
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Title Ideas:

The Masked Betrayal

Rumors of Deciet

Ladies of Majesty and Mystery

--I've got more but I'm running out to my first volleyball game--yippee--

Do I get to be the ECL? I would like to start on a bio soon if I can. Thanks!

-Maikafanawen
Old 05-26-2003, 12:06 PM   #86
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Here's a couple more:

Rumors in Rouge

The Trio of Conniving Delegations

I'll think of more...

EDIT: Another! I like this!

The Masqueraded Espionage of Feminine Scrutiny

EDIT again: Here's another two amusing ones!

The Undercover Moles in Dresses and Stockings

The Needle, the Thread, and the Powder Box of Surveillance

or

The Silk, Flowers, and Powder Boxes of Espionage (or Surveillance)

? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 05-26-2003, 12:38 PM   #87
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*Sigh* Well I guess that means I'll have to take a minor character as I'm going to disappear for 2 weeks half way through. We have to do this again ladies! I'd like a character which involves cattiness, but that will be fine for both Group B and C. I'd like to be someone nobly born rather than a maid or anything. I'll wait and see what you need after everyone else has chosen since- as I said- I'm not going to be around the whole time.

Title Ideas:
  • Corsairs and corsets (Sounds a bit odd but I like the idea of 2 alliterative but dissimilar words)
  • A courtly affair (Sounds more like romance!)
  • A malicious masquerade
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #88
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

I love Corsairs and Corsets! It has a nice ring to it! I’m still working on my character – it took me forever to even decide what to play. I’m away for a week at the end of June though, just to warn you in advance.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #89
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Sopia, Nurumaiel, Manardariel,

As Pio indicated, we need some clarfication regarding the game founding. I know the three of you will be doing it. (Not the 11 as Pio asked!)

This would be my suggestion. All three of you be listed as equal game founders. But, on a practical basis, if a routine question arises, we'll try to bring it to Manardariel's attention first, since she's taken the initial lead in the planning. She'll coordinate and get in touch with you (Sophia and Nuru) as needed.

However, if there is a clear cut problem on the thread which requires immediate action, we would want all three of you to feel you have the authority to act to correct it, or to respond to an urgent request about the game sent by Pio or myself. So if we can't get hold of Manardariel (which could easily happen), we'll approach either Sophia or Nuru, and any of you will feel free to act quickly.

This does happen sometimes, especially when profiles and posts are first submitted.

How does that arrangement sound?

Cami (Child)

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #90
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Sounds splendid to me, Cami.

Quote:
Corsairs and Corsets
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] That's hillarious! Would it sound better as Corsets and Corsairs?

Sophia
Old 05-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #91
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Corsairs and Corsets RULES!! This is awesome... I think we have a title. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, Cami that´s fine with me.

Ok everyone. I´ll start a list of interested characters.

Group A
(no one yet, though my character most probably will)

Group B
Head Cook (Durelin)
Catty Noble (Lyra)

Group C
ECL (Maika)

Lyra, *Varda* and everyone else, I don´t think you "have to" play minor characters if you´ll be away for one or two week. We´ll have a fairly large crew, so up to, say, 15 days with no PC acces is no big problem. However, if you want to play a minor character, feel free to do so!
Quote:
Ack! Another question... Is Ecthelion's wife around? Is Finduilas getting a mother-in-law?
I REALLY don´t know... and it doesn´t say in the Appendixes [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. Phew, this may be a problem. We could play with those "bad mother-in-law" chlicees, making her (I´m not sure there´s even a name in there!) the leader of group B... or we just leave her out. If anyone is interested in playing her, I guess we can work her in. If not, let´s just say she´s dead. OK?
Old 05-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #92
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am interested in playing the part of a married aristocrat from Minas Tirith (Group B). She is an older woman who is over-bearing and set in her ways. She also believes her daughter should have been the next in line to marry Denethor, which of course is all in her head. Being most likely the first to feel jealous of Finduilas, she would probably be one of the last to come around and trust Group A.

Since the mother is such a strong character, the daughter could be a secondary character. The daughter could be either mousy and always in her mother's shadow, or she could be a spoiled brat.

Anyway, tell me what you think.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:41 PM   #93
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Okay, I'm here! I apologize for my absence. I just skimmed over everything, but I'll be reading it more thoroughly later when I have time. Just wanted to drop by and see how things were going, let you all know I was still here, and ask if the double agent (the sister, I believe) from Group C was still available. And, if so, if Manardariel would have the kindess to give me permission to play her.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #94
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Darn it, Nurumaiel got to it before me! Well, I can probably be some person in group B, but Ill get back to you guys on that when I've got time to think up a character!

Sorry if I havent posted much this weekend, but it was my birthday, and I went away a lot! But I have more time now!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #95
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

I'd be interested in playing a very lighthearted part. Possibly from Minas Tirith, but I'd really love to be one of Finduilas' girls. Preferably pretty, noble, spoiled, flirtatious, and not too bright. I'll be playing some real heavy parts this summer, so I'd definately like something to lighten the mood. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

But I can realistically play anything that's needed, and I haven't thought at all about a character, so I can be flexible and fit anywhere.

Sophia

[Edit: Manardariel, were you going to play Finduilas, I had just assumed you would, being our fearless leader [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Someone ought to... ]

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
Old 05-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #96
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sorry everyone, I really haven't contributed much to the planning... But I'd really like to play the part of the Old Maid if that's ok.

I won't be online much until next week but I'll try to check in daily to see how we are doing (I'll wake up at 5AM to browse the Downs; that's my only 'free hour' at the moment...).

~Annun
Old 05-27-2003, 08:10 AM   #97
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Revised Character List
Group A
Finduilas (Manardariel)
Spoiled Girl (Sophia)
Old Maid (Annun)

Group B
Head Cook (Durelin)
Catty Noble (Lyra)
Mother Noble (alak)
Daughter of Mother Noble (also alak? Or is anyone else interested?)

Group C
ECL (Maika)

Carlas: HAPPY BITHDAY! :´) I´m checking with Nuru if you can maybe play the double agent, as you created her... so hang on on this.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:51 AM   #98
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Carlas
I just PMed Manardariel and you're all set to play the double agent.

I also PMed her asking to play the old maid, but it seems as though Annun got there first.

So, Manardariel, may I play the daughter from Group B (Daughter of Mother Noble)?
Old 05-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #99
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

Right now my character is in Group B - a girl sent to the court to recieve an education - she's friendly, loves reading, also lies often, since she wants to seem as interesting as the characters in the books that she reads.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:51 PM   #100
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Do you want us to post our bios here or PM them to you?

'Corairs and Corsets', bloody brilliant, as you Brits would say Lyra!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 05-28-2003, 07:13 AM   #101
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Group A
Finduilas (Manardariel)
Spoiled Girl (Sophia)
Old Maid (Annun)

Group B
Head Cook (Durelin)
Catty Noble (Lyra)
Mother Noble (alak)
Daughter of Mother Noble (Nuru)
Bookworm Girl (*Varda*)

Group C
ECL (Maika)
Double Agent (Carlas)

>> Please PM me your bios so I can attach them to our proposal. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:03 AM   #102
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Some idea worth discussing

Nicknames
Hey, do you think it´d be fun to have everyone who´s spying gets a "deckname", having to with their character or rank? Like the Cook could be "Big Spoon" or Finduilas "Top Girl"- whaddya think?

Finduilas Role
Is Finduilas going to actively participate in the spying? I´d go for a yes, but I´m not sure if that´s a good idea, afterall she IS a princess...

Kids
I was thinking it´d be funny with some kids, Group A and B´s, that could always do stuff like delaying ECL by nocking paint over her head.... comments?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:51 AM   #103
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

Sting

I doubt she'd really be actively involved. Maybe do a lot of the planning, working out what to do - but I can't really see a princess sneaking around and spreading rumours. She'd get people to do that for her. Stuff like the speech seems more up her street.

And the bio is on its way to you.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:16 AM   #104
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please note:

I need a bio AND a first post from each dedcated player - please submit them together.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:45 AM   #105
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Manardariel,

Do you have a date set for bios and first posts being sent to you? I still have to catch up on a lot of the thread and plan out on my character a little. Let me know.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:38 AM   #106
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

I was just doing some research on Ecthelion, and I used a link provided by Bethberry to the Annals of Arda. It shows Denethor II as having two unnamed sisters! I've never seen this, and I've been searching fervently through the Appendices and UT and I can't find where it says this in the Books. Has anyone else seen or heard of these sisters? If they did exist, it might be interesting to see them in the game, even if they are minor characters.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #107
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Everyone- please submit bios and first posts seperately!! I´m saving both in Word documents- seperate ones. So please send them seperatly. "Due date" will be the First of June. Is that ok with everyone?

Having said that....
Ohhh, Denethor´s sisters... that would be totally cool! Anyone interested?

Do you think it would be ok if I worked in a younger sister for Finduilas as my character? I´d love to play someone involved in the spying, and as Finduilas won´t do that... is that ok with you guys? (Man, I feel soo democratic! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Any opinions on the Nicks and Kids?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:40 PM   #108
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

Nicks I like a lot, if used in moderation. Kids... eh, maybe not? I think it would rather complicate things and really aren't they already complicated enough?

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If there's going to be a Denethor's sister part going... I'd gladly take it instead of what I have, provided I can give her a rather similar personality to what I was already planning-- flirty and lighthearted and not too bright.

[Edit: I think the only person that hasn't posted a preference of character yet is Arien. We should save her a spot, as she's gone right now and can't post a bio?!]

Sophia

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
Old 05-29-2003, 03:18 AM   #109
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Sophia, if you want to play one of Denethor´s Sisters- fine with me.

So Nicks yes, Kids no? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Everyone to avoid any misunderstanding- you have to send me a COMPLETE bio and then a first post; those little descriptions are NOT enough. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 03:54 AM   #110
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Yes, please use this Character Description Form everyone:

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

A FIRST POST FOR YOUR CHARACTER MUST ACCOMPANY THIS FORM.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:21 PM   #111
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sting

All right, Manardariel, one complete bio for a sister of Denethor coming right up.

I do have a few questions on how to competently write it however.

Numenorean Aging- How old is old? According to Tolkien at this point Denethor is in his 40s, Finduilas is 26. According to the site Alak found, Denethor's sisters were both older than him. Is this too old for them to be considered among the young ladies of Minas Tirith? Should they be married?

Second Question, Two is better than one? I think it would be fun to write both of Denethor's sisters and make them move as a unit almost. This could work regardless of their age or marital status. Each one would have less individual characterization, but together they'd be a force to be reckoned with. Yes? No?

I do need feedback rather soon if I'm to get a bio to Manardariel tomorrow, however. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Sophia
Old 05-29-2003, 06:32 PM   #112
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

My question is...where are we in our first post? Are we watching Finduilas being introduced to the court, or can we introduce our characters maybe getting ready for said introduction? Please let us know Manardariel what you think.

Sophia, I think the idea of the two sister working together is a great idea! How fun...and there is a lot of potential for comedy there.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #113
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

I am almost done with my first post (my bio has been long complete) and I have decided that I'm going to have the cook over hear some serving boys talking about the suspicious people from Dol Amroth. The cook will run off to tell someone about it (anyone volunteer?) and that passes throughout the gossip group of Minas Tirith, and they will have to decide whether it's group A or B, since they both say they're from Dol Amroth.

That good, you think? it seemed the best way. Information is likely to pass through the kitchens. The noblewoman could've met them, and already know, and so could anyone in a reasonable status. But anyone who's around a servant I could tell. Right?
Old 05-29-2003, 07:04 PM   #114
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Manadariel: I also was wondering where we are during our first post. Would my character--ECL--be speaking with nobles etc. or what. Should I begin mine with her being told of her mission etc. and preparing to go to Minas Tirith as a "Friend of Dol Amroth" with her mother and sister? Since there's not really a lot of information regarding character's personalities, I'm just going to throw my first post together loosely, but efficiently none-the-less. I'll get back to you ASAP.

I don't think there should be kids. And since I'm going to be playing ECL I'm going to stand up for her too, [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. ECL is going to be the evil woman. I think that the nobles etc. should fear her and her influence she'll have on Denethor and his father. If there's going to be any story at all, ECL is going to have to have a very good chance at overthrowing Finduilas and her posse, otherwise it would be a slow and hero/disney like RPG. Kids dumping paint on her head is no good, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

-Maikafanawen

[EDIT]: Manardariel- How long will Group C have been in Minas Tirith before Group A arrives? Group B wouldn't be suspicious of Group C right? THey'd wait until after Group A is suspicious because the suspiciousness starts when Group A is wary of Group C's connections in Dol Amroth--right?

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 05-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #115
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Maika- Judging what we said about the mother already being the spy, at least one geberation.

Everyone I´m sorry to sort of have forgotten about this, but we discussed the first post of the gane being Finduilas being presesnted to court, and the player´s first post wouldbe their reflections on this. Sorry Durelin, and everyone else! [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 05:16 AM   #116
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Manardariel-Is it possible that you could post Finduilas' first post, so we aren't all seeing something that is comepletely different? That would be so helpful.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #117
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Sorry? What is there to be sorry about, Manard? Just kinda confused...

Quote:
How long will Group C have been in Minas Tirith before Group A arrives? Group B wouldn't be suspicious of Group C right? THey'd wait until after Group A is suspicious because the suspiciousness starts when Group A is wary of Group C's connections in Dol Amroth--right?
Did you answer this question already, Manard? I'm confused about that too. This is quite hectic, and especially for you! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] This must be a pain, eh?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:43 AM   #118
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Alak has filled me in a little on my character and her family so I can get my bio and first post done by the due date. Thanks so much, Alak!

Now, for my bio, I was wondering: Since my character was hoping to marry Denethor, she should be around the same age as Finduilas, right? I was thinking about 24 or 25? Does that sound all right?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:42 PM   #119
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

EDITED: Apparantly Big Brother fans like to sleep. Sorry about the terrible writing! So, I started to add a love story as a reason for her to want to help out. Otherwise I'm not sure what reason I could give her except for impressing the guy?

NAME: Emilia

RACE: Human- Gondorian

WEAPONS: None
APPEARANCE: Curly brown hair falling below her waist which she takes loving care of. Dark brown eyes which have a wide eyed helpless look around men and a hard glint among women. Rather tight fitting, low cut dresses and lots of jewellery. Freckles- the bane of her life.

HISTORY: Has grown up in the court at Minas Tirith with only a very vague sense of anything outside the city- soldiers are merely to be admired and flirted with. Has a strict mother and a doting father- both of whom are in the countryside visiting her older brother and his new baby. Is now seriously looking for a husband as she does not want to end up an old maid- a type of woman she pities and ridicules. However, she does want to marry for love.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Emilia is clever although she usually only uses it for cunning and thinking of witty, biting remarks. She has few good female friends but admired by most men. Truly loves her father and brother, but has a strained relationship with her mother. Acts empty headed and helpless around men, a policy which other women don’t like but often seems to work in catching male attention. Very manipulative, sees it as a sort of hobby.

“Oh dear!”
Emilia shook her head just enough to make her hair sway prettily but without tangling it. From the corner of her eye she watched the off duty City Guard. He is looking!Emilia widened her eyes.

“Oh no. What shall I do?”
Once again she looked at the Guard. He was definitely watching her. Quite appraisingly too. Irritation flared. That was very crude of him. With an internal sigh she decided he would never do to marry. Not if he went around looking at all pretty girls like that. Still, he was attractive. Why is he not offering to help? Oaf!

Unhappily she turned to him, deciding to try the direct approach.
“Will you please help me? I’m trying to find the Houses of Healing, and I can’t remember the way.”
Discreetly Emilia batted her eyelashes. It was always best to be discreet, she had never yet been accused of flirting by a man.

Annoyingly the man raised an eyebrow, and gave a slight smile.
“The Houses of Healing? And why would you be going there? You don’t look ill to me”
Insolence! The gall of this man! Emilia was unsure how to reply. She had never been questioned in this way before! Most of the Guards would just be happy to escort her, to talk to her.

“I-I have a message for one of the healers.”
“Very well” the man replied, again with that insolent half smile. Immediately he turned and began to walk briskly, cloak swirling around his legs. Emilia hurried to follow, blood boiling. He was indeed walking briskly, she could hardly keep up.

With a start Emilia realised she was passing her own front door. Her ‘escort’ had not yet looked back to check whether she was following. With a small smile Emilia turned aside and entered her house.
I believe I win, she said to herself.
Emilia looked around the gathering in disgust. There were so many women! “Where are all the men?” she asked the old lady sitting to her left.
“Some trouble with, well I own, I hardly know who! Not those Corsairs, I don’t think. The Rohirrim? No, they’re on our side…”

Emilia sighed and wandered away. An Old Maid. No doubt she has no-one to talk to at home so decides to bore to tears anyone she meets!

From a vantage point in a corner of the long room Emilia gazed around. There really were very few men. With satisfaction she noticed Beren. Well, there’s little fear of him going to fight anyone, she thought with contempt, little worm! Nevertheless he is extremely good looking. He makes the City Guard look-
Emilia broke off her thought, annoyance at the man’s attitude resurfacing.

Determinedly she began to walk towards Beren. He was talking with Lorna. Simply because she has fair hair she thinks every man should fall at her feet! Empty headed little-
“Lorna!” Emilia said, false smile spreading over her features. “And Beren!”
”Emilia” Lorna returned, smile stretched even wider.
“I am so parched. Do either of you know where I can get a drink?”
“I will get you one of course Emilia” Beren answered immediately.
Men! So easy to understand and control! It’s sweet really. Except that- Emilia cut herself off again. Not that odious man.

As Beren walked away both women dropped their smiles.
“Emilia I was talking to him first. When you get your drink-“
“But Lorna, I simply had to come and tell you about your hair.”
”My hair?” Lorna looked at Emilia distrustfully. Emilia was aware that somehow she had gained a reputation among the women for being manipulating. It was unfortunate, really- it made everything so much harder.

“Well yes. The interesting effect you have at the back. It’s very bold. I only hope everyone else likes it as much as I”
Lorna put a hand up to feel her hair. Emilia bit back a smile. Nearly as easy as dear Beren!

“I think it’s commendable,” she continued “Court fashions haven’t changed in so long. Whose idea was i
t? The tangled look I mean?”
“T-tangled?” Lorna began, distrust still flickering in her eyes. “It’s not-“
Time for the kill! “Yes, tangled. Letty was saying it looked like a bird’s nest. I stood up for you of course. I think it’s a triumph”

Both women stared towards Letty. Emilia had noticed her looking, a few moments ago. Now, of course, she quickly ducked her head. Looking back to Lorna, Emilia saw horror was blooming on her face.
“E-Excuse me” she said, walking quickly away, hands fluttering up repeatedly to touch her hair. Emilia smiled gently as she watched her leave the room, then waved at Beren, who nodded, rasing his two filled hands.

Indeed people are so easy to control, Emilia thought with satisfaction. That was a most enjoyable interlude. Now, I think, a dance? Beren dances as badly as he would fight- were he ever to try. Reniedil on the other hand…

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-30-2003, 01:00 PM   #120
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lyra,

Still needs a bit of editing, but looking very good. Your character sounds like a real person with foibles and strong points.

Lyra, would you do a favor for me. Break down your post into more than three paragraphs. I have trouble reading such large blocks of print.

Cami readjusts her spectacles and strains her eyes.....

Everyone:

I have one suggestion. In order to keep things clear for the other Shirelings who'll join the game later (and for the Mods who are sometimes notoriously dense!), could you stick in a little sentence somewhere in the profile stating which group the character belongs to: A. Finduillas and her immediate circle. B. Women of Ecthelion's court C. What shall we call these nasties?

The character list is arranged in these three groups so it might be helpful if the profiles gave an indication of that as well.

Hey, you are all doing a great job here!