Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #241
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A blast of snow shot into the room from the open door. A few heads turned in that direction to see who had entered but most were busy with their own discussions and drinks.

An old man dressed in brown and a younger one who could have been elf or of the race of men entered. The old man shook the snow from his long gown and nodded toward Bethberry. Quietly he found a space in the crowded parlour for himself and his companion.

Now to introduce myself properly. I have been working in the Blue Mountains with Ith and playing Radagast. I am fairly new to the business of RPG but I really enjoy it all the same because it gives me the opportunity to write using a genre I don't usually use and to meet and collaborate with interesting people from all over the world. It also provides a great escape from real life. A good RPG is one that contains a mixture of careful planning and spontaneous tangents that weave a good, compelling story and where everyone involved feels they are valued.
Is this the kind of thing I'm supposed to write here? Please excuse if I got the wrong end of the stick. The people who've been working with me will tell you I'm not that smart!
Old 02-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #242
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius bashed his boots onto the hard wooden floor getting rid of the snow meshed under them. Radagast passed him a drink of something strong (the best kind) and the elf with human features knocked it back.

Greeting everyone, I am Mattius and have been posting on the Blue Mountains as a character with the same name. I know Ith, Auriel and Brinnel have or wil be posting here soon. We are planning a 'sequel' (I hate that word) of sorts to the RPG The Blue Mountains. First though I think we need to distinguish how far into the future it will be set after the rpg, 100, 500 years? Also what about location, I have heard Bree, Rhun and Moria mentioned but what do you all think?
Old 02-16-2003, 04:40 PM   #243
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aylwen pushed the door open, and rushed inside to escape the bitter cold. Snow had piled up in a wall outside the Inn door, and clumps fell from the mound before Aylwen closed the door behind her.

With cold, red cheeks, and snow-covered hair, Aylwen was quite a sight.

"My apologies, for being late, good Bethberry," Aylwen nodded to her good (not old, I tell you!) friend. "Seems the cold weather has caught up with me, leaving me sick as can be. Got here as soon as I could though, I promise!"

Sitting in an empty seat near a warm fire, Aylwen shook the snow from her hair.

"Seems you patrons of the White Horse are having similar weather to my homeland! Learning shall not take place for at least a few days now! Anyway, to the point! I am known usually as Aylwen Dreamsong. Though for those who take the time to read the Rpg's may know me by other names as well! Frain Thaneson, Aislan the Hostler, Jemel and Aniram of the Golden Wood, Jadae the Smith, Rolan, and Jerika! So, as you can see:

Quote:
I am an addict.
Why? Role-playing not only offers a chance to write and storytell, it lets you read others' writing styles as well, and you can learn from that!"

"My characters often spring from certain characteristics that I (sometimes unfortunately) find in myself." Aylwen turned to face Mattius, and smiled.

"I regret to say that I have had no time to read through The Blue Mountains Rpg! I have heard nothing but wonderful things about it, though. I do not doubt that either, based on the wonderful writers that took part in it! Perhaps you could explain the basic plot of your tale, so that we may understand better?"
Old 02-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #244
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius smiled gleefully at the chance to tell his tale and rubbed his hands as Radagast smiled as he lit his pipe.
"It began, in the Blue Mountains..."

Wow, quite a question there Miss Dreamsong! Okay let me see. First of all let me give you the main chracters, those who stayed from beginning to end-

Radagast- Wizard
Mattius- Elf
Endereth- Ranger Elf
Calentoliel- Elf (sister of Rothalle)

Other characters included Rothalle but unfortunalty the member who played this part didn't post after the first few days (I think it was a computer problem). Also were a few hobbits included a guest appearnce from Pippin and also Tom and Bethberry!

Well plot wise these individuals are brought together to the Blue Mountains tracking a creature known as "The Black Beast". Together they attempt to destroy it taking them from the Ered Luin, to Hobbiton, the Barrow Downs, Tom Bombadil's house and back to the Blue Mountains.

As the story goes on they become great friends and Rothalle is revealed as Calen's sister as well as Mattius revealing his real elevn name of Firnlord and reciving Angmarth, a sword created by Manwe to destroy the Black Beast.

Through many expolits they fight and defeat the beast in a final epic battle in the Blue Mountains and the group disbands with Radagast and Mattius travelling together, Calen and Rothalle staying together and Enderth returning to her native Lorien.

Wow that took longer than I thought it would!! If any of that makes sense then well done! Of course to find out more about the chracters just check out the thread!

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #245
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The dwarf woke up on the floor. Obviously he had fallen whilst sleeping. He pulled himself up on to the chair. He then stood up and started to leave. As he got to the door he remembered his mission. Now, where is he?

The dwarf pulled out the small paper. It read:

Rendli Icewater
Dwarf
He is a very short and round dwarf. He has red hair and a long red beard. He carries a large double bladed war axe. In his belt he conceals two throwing hatchets. He is very deadly. You will notice him in his all brown apperal.

Your mission, kill Rendli before he gets to the Green Dragon Inn. We do not want that party to reach Erebor. I have sent a man to dipose of Bali. Try not to make a scene. Hogar, I am counting on you. Do not fail me or else.

Rereading the description he looked around the inn. It didn't take long to notice the dwarf leaving the inn. Hogar waited a few moments and walked out after him. At first Hogar couldn't see him. Then he spotted a man hooking up a carriage and a dwarf standing near by.

"I'll just wait inside the carriage while you hook this thing up," the dwarf said to the driver. He walked into the carriage. Now's my chance to get him. Hogar walked over to the man.

"Hello," the man said as the dwarf walked up.

"Hi," he took out a change purse, "Can I talk to you?"

The two conversed for a bit. The change spilled into the man's hand, and a greedy smirk came upon his face. The driver walked away. Picking up a torch, Hogar got into the driver's seat. He started moving along the path. When they were concealed in the woods he stopped the horses and spoke to the other dwarf, "We have a small problem with one of the wheels, it'll be fixed in a moment." Hogar walked to the doors and locked them.

"What's going on?" Rendli asked.

"Saftey percaution," Hogar replied. He unhitched the horses and kept the one that was saddeled. Then the dwarf picked up the torch and laid it on the roof of the carriage. He made sure it started burning and then turned his horse and left towards the Shire. I'll disrupt that party if it's the last thing I do. They'll never get to Erebor.

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 02-16-2003, 05:40 PM   #246
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The inn door swung open and in stepped a woman. The woman brushed the snow off herself and pulled off her hood, revealing black hair and pointed ears. Though many would identify this woman as an elf, the way she was poised did not seem to match the description that word.

The woman turned and looked around the inn, her dark eyes searching. When she caught glimpse of an old man in brown and his younger blond haired companion, the woman smiled. She found whom she had been looking for.

The blond haired companion, named Mattius, was speaking with a stranger the dark haired woman did not recognize, and as he spoke she could overhear the familiar words, the Blue Mountains and the Black Beast.
Mattius paused in his story and turned around only to just notice the smiling woman. He smiled back.
"Calentoliel," he said. "It is about time you come."
Calentoliel sat down next to Mattius. "It is good to see you Mattius, Radagast," she said, glancing over at the old man. She looked over at the stranger. "And who are you?"
"I am Aylwen Dreamsong," the other responded. "Your friend here has been telling me of your adventures."

Good day, everyone. As you have noticed, I am also part of The Blue Mountains RPG, playing Calentoliel. This was my first RPG and what a great first experience I had! I look forward to playing the sequel to our RPG and hope to see some new faces who are willing to join us.
I think 500 years later is a good time setting for the RPG. As for a location, I think a small town would work, but not Bree, as that is not a likely place for any of us to be in.
Quote:
Also were a few hobbits included a guest appearnce from Pippin and also Tom and Bethberry!
Don't you mean Goldberry? Thought I might point that out.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #247
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

That..................................... is a very good point Brinnel!! A small town sounds good, is anyone here interested in joining this RPG?

Also The Blue Mountains was my first RPG that I have ever done! It went really well and want to thank all involved with it!
Old 02-16-2003, 06:18 PM   #248
Maros An Doramor

Sting

Unnoticed, Maros An Doramor stepped into the inn. The journey from Minas Tirith had been harder than expected, a result of the bad weather over the plains.

Wearily, he walked over to a pew in a far corner of the room. Here, he lay his pack, and his fathers beloved sword, before taking a seat himself. The smell of pipeweed and ale hung around him, surrounding him in a musty, yet not unwelcome, odour. The smoky mists and joyful singing in the Inn reminded Maros of the inns in the White City.

However, this was not Minas Tirith, but a distant land, with borders he had not stood in for over ten years. He remembered the day his father Gorlan brought him here. How he had loved the flocking of the horses on the far-reaching fields, and the sun setting behind the Golden Hall.

But now Maros was no longer a child. At twenty-one, he was not accompanying his father on some diplomatic trip. No! Maros was here for a purpose, and as a solier of Gondor he would fulfil that purpose.

Maros noticed another individual in the inn looking at him, sitting alone in the corner. Not liking this feeling of being watched, Maros spread a tattered map on the table and lowered his head.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #249
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

A tall, lovely elf woman walked through the door, out of the storm. Brushing her hood away to reveal intense ice-colored eyes, she was relieved to be greeted by the warmth of the common room of this inn. Shaking the snowflakes out of her dark, wind-whipped hair, she sighed and looked around. As her eyes fell on familiar faces, how surprised Endereth of Lorien was! Walking over toward the table, she placed a hand on the shoulder of an elf maiden, who turned her head at the touch. Endereth's face broke into a smile. "Calentoliel!" she cried, "mae govannem, my dear." Calen replied with a smile.
Looking at all the other people sitting there, Ender added, "And here I find Mattius and Radagast, my other friends. Mae govannem to you also. It is good to see you."

Taking a seat with her companions, the ranger was introduced to Aylwen, who claimed that Mattius had already told of the events occuring recently in the Ered Luin.

Hello Mattius and Brinniel! Glad to finally be getting the discussion on its way. I think it would be wise to decide what, who and where the plot concerns. And what kind of plot? It could be an expedition, a conquest, a search/rescue party... or we could just get chased around by orcs [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img](not). A small town is a very generic starting point; you could go anywhere from there. Somewhere in the middle of everything is good also.

As for years later, I'd say around a thousand. Can't get too creative, but you're not barred too much.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:05 PM   #250
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius mulled over the beverage in his mouth before gulping it down with a smile. He puffed on his pipe weed before turning to Ith.

Hey Ith, I agree a small down is a little unamiginative but could perhaps be rectified if we sort of created one from scratch wherever in Middle Earth we wanted to, even outside the confines of the map in the books and away east somewhere. A busy place is also good such as Minas Tirith. I particulary like the idea of a rescue story but who would we be rescuing and who would be the 'bad guy'? There are always the 2 Blue Wizards who we could use as potential enemies. Their inclusion would make things very interesting on the Radagast front!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #251
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Oh, no, no! I mean that small towns are generic in a GOOD way! Though I'm not too keen on rescue; we've already got that going on in the Kidnapped! RPG. I came up with something interesting last night when I was half-asleep; it's pretty basic but it can make for something VERY interesting:

Despite the taking back of Isengard by Gondor, Fangorn Forest has suffered much since the War of the Ring. The trees have become more malicious than ever, killing even men, and the Ents grow ever more sparse. They have retreated deep into the forest and don't know of the terrors that have happened. Fangorn is almost impossible to come out of alive now.
The king visits Isengard. He hears of what has happened in Fangorn and summons warriors from all around to find out and vanquish the problem.

....we could have Ents, mortals, anyone as characters! And Radagast might even be a little more in character; he'll be more at home. Please don't immediately give a yes or no, I want to hear some different ideas!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:19 PM   #252
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well, we certainly have many enthusiastic writers here. And cooperative ones. That's great and I'm glad to see so many here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Some of you have run your own games, and I wonder if you could expand on where or how you generated your plots/ideas. Lugburz, Adanedhel, Aman, Aylwen? Did you go to the Appendices the way Mithadan did for Search for Celebrian? I'm particularly interested in how Search for the Book was set up.

Auriel, in the balance between planning and sponteneity, are there some things which should be planned and not left to chance? What are they?

Aman, that's neat to be able to work in history from past games. It is what I hope to do with Ćlfritha in Rohan. Where did you get the idea for Kidnapped from?

The Blue Mountain folk (if I can call you that!), how did you choose the characters for that game? How did you make them consistent with the plot and setting? (Also, remember that gamers can apply to your new game once it has been approved and the Discussion thread goes up, not here, although anyone can talk about it with you here, if you wish.)How hard was it to keep Blue Mountain going to its completion?

I would hope that you guys also start talking to each other. Don't wait for me to reply or answer, but ask each other questions about ideas, characters, plot structures.

And I have a question to ask all of you: Would you prefer to see some kind of mentoring available for your games? Would we have more games in Rohan if the game owners weren't solely responsible for the game, but could expect some help and direction from the Innkeeper? Or is the independence a nice reward for posting here?

Bethberry
Old 02-17-2003, 09:51 PM   #253
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanedhel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Bethberry,

To answer your question (As I am sure the others you mentioned will also) it all depends on the writer you are, and how you interpret Tolkien's works.
Usually to come up with an idea it would be a section of one of Tolkien's books I would like to expand on, something like the Southrons, or Harad, a place where not much is spoken about and thus there is more of a chance for creativity and you are not restricted as much but at the same time it is a challenge to try and make sure it fits into what Middle Earth is all about and how the world works.
It wouldn't work if you wrote that there was 'lost land' in Middle Earth that had a race of super powerful wizards, or a warrior race that was so vast and huge it could crush the world. This would be both ridiculous and unrealistic.

Once I have the idea I would try and read further into it, finding as much information about it as I can then see if there are people that would be willing to role play with this idea. If it doesn't get a good reception from the people I do ask then I don't go ahead with it, if it does then I get stuck into it straight away.

Also I find it more interesting if during the story there are sub-plots branching off from the main story line, so that it gives the role play some depth and more of a character instead of just the one story line.

There are other ways that people find ideas for role plays but they are the ones that I draw from on a regular basis.

*Bows*

Adanedhel

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 02-18-2003, 05:00 AM   #254
cole
Pile O'Bones

cole has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to cole Send a message via AIM to cole
Eye

Cole listened to everyone in the tavern talk. He had just started to rest when suddenly an elf walked into the tavern. Tall, slim, blond hair, ears and all. What he wanted nobody knew except for Cole.

" I thought that you would be here. Everyone is ready to leave." Then he brought his voice to but a scarce whisper. "Did you tell the king about........."Cole shook his head."I forgot my friend I am truly sorry but why not ask me to go outside to talk about this? Susan my friend I will be but a moment."

Cole and his elf friend walked out of the tavern. As the door opened the rest of Cole's travelling companions stood by the door waiting for Cole to come out.

For about 15 to 20 minutes arguing could be heard from outside. As were the voices of a few dwarves and elves along with Cole's.
but one clear and few words that was heard were never forgotten.

Quote:
No, we cannot tell the people of this tavern that an enemy is on it's way here. Let the King tell them.
Cole was furious.

"What is that it!? Are we all just going to stand idly by will Rohan is destroyed? Well maybe you can but I cannot I am going to tell the king and I am also going to stay to fight. You should all go on without me. We'll meet in Gondor after the battle ends."

Cole walked back in to see everyone staring at him. He shouldn't have came here and he knew it. If only he'd have kept his voice down.

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: cole ]
Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 AM   #255
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Ith I think your idea sounds great (I know you didn't want a yes or no but it just does ok). A thousand years after the blue mountain saga seems just about right and the whole Radagast/Fangorn link could proove to be very interesting indeed!

I personally don't really have any specific rpg idea and am happy to just take whatever one of you guys puts forward (boring I know but it has got me this far through life). So has anyone else got any stories they want to bash out?

Bethberry, in reply to your question, The Blue Mountain RPG survived through the Freestyle Room and then Rohan because even though we wern't the most prolific group of postees we put a lot of effort into each one to ensure that it was of good quality! Good players know not only when to write a post to move the story foward but also when to hold back so that it has the same, or sometimes, even greater effect.

[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-18-2003, 04:45 PM   #256
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Wise words, Mattius, and too true [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I'd like to add something. To elaborate on the way we formed the game, if I can recall correctly, Iaurlachien (who played Rothalle) began the discussion and allowed people to join and post characters first. Then, once we had everyone on board, we discussed the location, and Iaur suggested it take place in the uninhabited Ered Luin, hence the name, so that we wouldn't have to inhibit our creative juices too much by the laws of the land or anything. Then, over time and after we started the RPG, we developed the plot and the objective. I found that we were able to make it much more intricate by doing so, instead of having it prefabricated like most others. The RPG went from August till early February, and it was the first and only RPG I've successfully completed so far.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:49 PM   #257
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast ordered further pints for his companions and included Aylwen in the round. "Dear girl, he does tell a good tale does he not? Take no notice of anything he says about me I am just a shepherd. An animal friend. I was never concerned with the to-ing and fro-ing of the world of men and elves until I met these folk. I haven't really a clue why he travels with me still. Perhaps it is time I retired. Those adventures took a great deal out of me you know. I'm not Mithrandir, he's far better suited to such exploits. I'm just poor old Radagast. I've used all the enchantments I need for a thousand lifetimes." The old one sighed and smiled at the young listener. "That said, dear girl it is so nice to see the young folk after all this time. I won't complain if they persuade me into some other mischief. Just a little, gentle mischief. No more monsters, goodness, no."

Endereth leaned across the table. "I heard that Radagast! I think I may have a little mischief just for you if we can just raise a few more companions this time."

"Oh dear, oh dear. I should have kept my own counsel, shouldn't I Aylwen?" The old man smiled to himself, leaned back in his chair and sipped upon his ale.

Put me in any town you fancy folks but it seems to make sense that we start in Edoras, seeing as that is where we are, aren't we?

Also, all ideas sound great but here's an extra one to go with the Fanghorn idea: Entwives! It upsets me in the book that they've gone and left old Treebeard and his young friend alone. It would be so nice if we could fix that problem in a way Tolkien would have approved of. We'll have to advertise for an Entwife or two - personal column anyone?

Sorry, lacking sleep and typing gibberish.

Someone asked me some serious questions up above, here goes ye olde answers:-
I feel planning is needed for the over all direction of where something is going, even if that plan is particularly skeletal. Good discussions go with that obviously. Within is the opportunity to be spontaneous and branch out the facets of your character. For example I never read Radagast as a negative character in the books, just so wrapped up in his own work he couldn't see the bigger picture and when faced with it just plain didn't want to. How many people in marriages etc in the mortal world end up the same way? Something comes along and shakes you out of it. You're still the same character you've always been, you just rediscover yourself at the same time. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too heavy for this time of night. (22.33!)

I agree with Mattius that our story worked because we didn't give up on it, even when we ended up writing for the characters we'd lost along the way. I'm looking forward to working with others who are equally committed. We didn't post daily. We couldn't: we have lives to lead, but we put our heart and soul into what we did do and perhaps that's the key to a good RPG. I also think that being nice to each other is important too, even if you probably think that's very wet and Radagast of me.

I think I've written too much. Demand an edit of me if I've given anyone migraine!
Old 02-18-2003, 04:51 PM   #258
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

"Here Radagast," Mattius said handing the wizard a small shot glass, "hold your nose and drink this, it will get your gut courage back up from days of old!"

Ditto, I didn't have much faith in the old freestyle RPG room till I joined the blue mountains. Hopefully the follow on will be just as good or even better!

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-19-2003, 12:35 PM   #259
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Quote:
Where did you get the idea for Kidnapped from?
Why, from this very inn Bethberry! Galadel Vinorel played her nick character, a princess from Lothlorien, and was telling of her mothers past, with what could have been the same idea as Kidnapped, although I changed it in its planning, and in the course of the game its changed even further. I asked if I could adapt her idea and she agreed; seems its a popular sort of idea, looking at Mithadans own.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:16 PM   #260
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

'Tis not my idea, Aman. I can't claim ownership of "To Rescue Celebrian". The premise comes straight from LoTR. A stray paragraph in one of the appendices tells how Celebrian was captured by Orcs while traversing the Redhorn Pass en route to Lorien.

The Appendices contain many snippets of stories that could easily sustain lengthy RPGs. An idea for a game can come from a single line in The Tale of Years. Or a bit of conversation between characters in Unfinished Tales. Anyone interested in the tragic death of King Arvedui? The cats of Beruthiel?

I would like to hear what people think of mentoring or co-owning games; that is teaming up either with an experienced gamer or a less experienced person to run the game and provide assistance to the participants.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:43 PM   #261
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Thats a good plan Mith; didnt think of that. Unfortunately, my copy of LotR is with one of my friends...in wales. Hmmm.
Quote:
The cats of Beruthiel?
Qu'est ce-que?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #262
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

That phrase is from the chapter where the Fellowship pass through Moria, not sure of the exact quote but it was either Gimli or Aragorn who said it. Im sure someone else will know it word for word and post!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #263
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I'm staking a provisional claim on the cats of Beruthiel. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bb
Old 02-21-2003, 12:36 PM   #264
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Greetings, gentle-folk! Mithadan, would you possibly consider my RPG again? I think I'm up to the challenge now that I'm pretty certain I'm good for a few years.

There's always the search for the Nimphelos, perhaps? Or someone might just find Celebrimbor's "recipe" for ring-making...I've had more time than I wanted to think. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #265
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Let me answer for Mithadan, Cuthalion, if I may, in the interests of speeding the process along. My understanding is that it is accepted and we are waiting word from you on when you wish to start it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry

PS. All: I will be away for the weekend. Feel free to post in or out of character, as part of the discussion, or as part of the role playing here at the Inn. Just remember, this is a respectable Inn, all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 PM   #266
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Quote:
I'm staking a provisional claim on the cats of Beruthiel.
!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] !!!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:55 PM   #267
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Nay, Aman: ˇˇˇ [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] !!!

So, does anyone hold a possible interest in joining the follow-up to TBM? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 07:35 PM   #268
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

My thanks, Bethberry! I hope to get with Mithadan soon and get things underway.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #269
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

Radagast had taken on a manic grin since sampling the foul tasting liquid proffered to him by Mattius. "Of course, dear girl, of course. You lead and I'll follow!" He then burped loudly, leaving the others shaking their heads.

"Are we sure he's of the Istari?" Endereth laughed.

"He was once," said Mattius very seriously and then a cheery smile crossed his face, "He still is I'm just trying to get him drunk while we're holed up here. He was the one who mentioned mischief!"

Calentoliel giggled. "I think you've spent too much time alone together in the wild. It's time we brought some sanity back into your world."

"Sanity? With you two?" Mattius laughed so hard that tears began to trickle down his cheeks and he drew the attention of others in the pub. "Manwe preserve us from sanity bringing it's blight upon our plans. Friends are what we need, not restraint. Now pass me that bottle. Methinks Radagast can stomach another."
Old 02-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #270
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius laughed as Radagast hit another one back and almost fell off the barstool.
"I knew you could handle another old fellow!" He said as he heartedly slapped the back of the Brown Wizard.

Ith, I have been thinking about your RPG proposal and I am very happy to go along with it. It would be very easy to introduce new players from any race in ME as the king has sent messengers pleading for a hero! What also would be cool is that if it was 1000 after TBM then we can create names for the new King of Gondor and King/Queen of Rohan etc or even have someone play as them. Which would be a very nice touch!

Anyways I will leave it to all the rest of the gang and the others who wish to play too.

Adios!

Matt
Old 02-22-2003, 04:09 PM   #271
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ender shook her head, unable to stop laughing, as Radagast burped again, quite loudly, but then leaned his forearms on the bar, smiling dreamily. The Lorien ranger hailed the bartender. "I may as well have one; I wouldn't want dear Radagast to be drunk alone." And with that, she knocked back her half-pint, wiped the foam off her lips and smiled. "Ah; good, sweet ale, such as I've not had in a long time." Calentoliel laughed next to her as Radagast mumbled something about spotted hens and asked for one more round.

Hey Matt!

I'm glad you like the idea! I originally was apprehensive about it since it was pretty rough. I agree that it would be pretty awesome to name the new kings/queens of Rohan and Gondor and have all kinds of different races (a representative from each region, perhaps? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). We'd be a little limited for elves, though, since we've already got a few and the rest will be pretty much be gone from Middle-earth by then. Otherwise, we're cool! We'll wait for the opinions of Auriel and Brinniel, then fill out the form and request to begin the discussion. I'm happy! I thought it would take a lot longer than this!

Hannon le,
Ith
Old 02-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #272
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius placed a gold coin on the bar and ordered a pitcher of ale and two pint glasses.

"Now we are getting somewhere old friend are we not? I hope your ready for more action Radagast! For some reason I forsee our future has much of it!" Radagast put his hand down and the empty glass rolled from his grip. He moved in to whisper to Mattius.

"Just as slong as we don't not leave in the morning Matjus," the wizard slurred, "for I am fearing a lather rarge headache!" Radagast sat back up. "But I am NOT drunk!" As he spoke he realised he had leaned back too far too fast and fell flat on his backside much to the amusement of his comrades.

"Hilarious," Radagast muttered as he picked himself up.

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #273
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aylwen had remained silent for a long time: much longer than she was accustomed to. Typically Aylwen was a loud, rambunctious person, but not tonight. She'd had many other things to think about these days.

Observing the friendly jokes and antics of the companions Mattius, Radagast, Endereth, and Calentoliel, Aylwen was glad that they would continue their journey.

Quote:
So, does anyone hold a possible interest in joining the follow-up to TBM?
Aylwen smiled as she remembered this comment. She'd be interested in creating a character to joint the characters of TBM in thier "quest" (I dislike that word...) to make Fangorn a safe place again.

*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

Quote:
Some of you have run your own games, and I wonder if you could expand on where or how you generated your plots/ideas.
The idea for Search for the Book arised thanks to my little sister. She is currently learning about ancient Egypt in her sixth grade social studies class. I remembered two years back when I did, and thought it would be cool to have a sort of Ancient Egyptian pyramid in the form of a mountain. Since I'm a more mortal type of girl, and since we would be allowed to have Elves and Dwarves (or, an elf and a dwarf), I chose Dale to be the starting point. I knew we'd need some reason to be going to an Egyptian-inspired mountain home of a lost race (A race of forgotten Elves of some sort), so I "invented" the Wanaparma. Now little Ari can find a cure for his mother! And we must prove to Jack Strife that the book exists.

I think the most exciting part of the Rpg will come when the travelers have to get through the mountain (pyramid!) and avoid all the booby traps and tricks in the place and get the book (and get the heck outta there!).

Quote:
Would you prefer to see some kind of mentoring available for your games?
Forgive me for saying so, but Rohan is supposed to offer less moderating, but still be organized. If we wanted a lot of moderating and a closely watched RPG, we'd be in the Shire with the kind inkeepers, Cami and Pio. In Rohan I think that it is good to be having more imaginative games, like the Rohan RPG, The Blue Mountains RPG, Kidnapped RPG, Search for the Book RPG, and especially the My Crow Managment RPG, with it's cool crows and all.

Quote:
The Appendices contain many snippets of stories that could easily sustain lengthy RPGs.
Very true. Or you could go with geography...say find a less inhabited place or something, perhaps? Off the top of my head: An RPG where there is a tunnel is in the Ered Lithui (Northern Range of Mordor), and it is allowing the Dark Lord's armies to travel into the area south of Dale, Mirkwood, and Erebor. The character's job would be to destroy the tunnel, and avoid lingering armies, and any evil on the fringe of Mordor's lands. Plus, it could start in my favorite city (Dale...of course!)!

So there are many ideas that can come from something as simple as one sentence, or as old as a chain of mountains. People just have to stop being afraid of being imaginative, if that makes any sense at all.

I can't remember anything else, and I'm tired anyway so... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 05:10 AM   #274
cole
Pile O'Bones

Eye

Cole walked back into the tavern in actual good spirits. Not only has the "Threat" been neutralized but he could stay for another good while.

Cole sat back into the chair he was in before and saw susan had left. Well everyone has to leave sometime he guessed and drank somemore luna^anu.

It was definitly a night to remember this night. A few years ago before this great journey. But the past is something not easily talked about here and Cole still longed for someone to talk to.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:16 AM   #275
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thumbs up

Greetings All,

Your responses here have been interesting and valuable; I hope many of the Rohan gamers have been able to follow the discussion and gain ideas for their own games and their own writing.

Aylwen, never fear that Rohan would set up a system of apprenticeship like that in The Shire! We certainly think the independence and responsiblity of Rohan are one of its attractions for those willing to take the challenge. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

However, Mithadan and I have found not a few gamers who are great writers and experienced gamers but who are hesitant to start games because of the onus of running them. We were wondering if, for those writers, we should at least offer the possibility of dual-ownership or backup moderation. This would not be an across-the-forum mandate for all Rohan games, but would be made available to those gamers who would like it. All gamer owners sometimes need a pat on the back or some brainstorming help! Why, I've even nudged BW in chat a bit to keep posting. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I have been really impressed with the discussion of TBM gamers about their new game. So much so, that I am going to open up a new thread here in Rohan, where several gamers can post together to develop their ideas before submitting a proposal to either Gandalf the Grey or Susan via mailto:rohanproposals@barrowdowns.comrohanproposals@barrowdowns.com</A> . It would not be a thread where people can audition for games--that would belong on the actual game discussion thread--but it would be a place for brainstorming before the game goes up.

I hope TBM folk take their discussion there to continue it and I hope any other interested gamers also use the thread for generating ideas.

I'll be back later with some ideas for getting the in-character role-playing subgames going again here in The White Horse.

Bethberry

PS. Aman, cats, too, in addition to all your other games? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] You can have the idea if you want. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 01:41 PM   #276
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

I have a fan fic to do as well thanks Bethberry. The pussies are all yours Bethberry. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ransom; welcome back.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:31 PM   #277
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Hey guys we can head over to the new thread to discuss the follow up to TBM!!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:47 AM   #278
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

I've been invited to post here as well. Long ago, in the Freestyle Room, Susan Delgado and I started a game together called "Blue Sky, Night Thunder," later also known as "Fool's Errand." It started like this.

Susan had been played some games in the Freestyle room, and with her 501st post wanted to start a one of her own. I had been watching the rpgs a little, but hadn't played one yet, aside from a post or two in an extraordinarily silly semi-game called "Let's attack Valinor!!!!!!!" The idea originated with her, and (oddly enough) as a kidnapping. There wasn't much more to the idea at that point. She came up with a name--Thorondruin, a rough translation of a name she'd used elsewhere, and I came up with one, Hithduiniel, and we designed the characters to be as much at odds with one another as possible, an interesting thought in view of the brevity of their actual contact. Thorondruin was the kidnapper; Susan can probably tell you more about him. But Hithduiniel also grew from her name: I thought that she should be misty herself, with hidden agendas and less palatable layers that would only be fevealed after a reader had begun to feel sorry for her as a victim.

I think it was my idea to make her a Green Elf, mostly because a laiquendi perspective, it seemed to me, would be interesting and quite different from anything I'd seen (I hadn't yet read UT, and so there are many inaccuracies), and to make the treasure that Thorondruin was seeking somewhere in Ossiriand, and I think it was Susan that decided to make it the Silmaril they were seeking (or maybe that was me?).

Essentially, then, our process was to come up with two characters and a relationship between them, and then to situate it. So much of this was developed in conversation that, as you can see, the ideas began to belong to both of us, and not to be differentiated anymore; I don't think either of us would have come up with quite what we did on our own. So that's one way to collaborate. (Remdil, incidentally, was a totally spontaneous idea who wasn't even supposed to last; I have no clue how he happened.)

This, incidentally, is one reason I seldom post in the inns. All my characters are based on context, on what might prove interesting in the surroundings and on the other characters. An inn doesn't provide me with the same sort of definite storyline or other characters to work with, so I haven't been able to create a good inn character with which to post (I make a lousy RPG character as myself).

In any case, Susan and I seem to have started this process again, in a more focused and knowledgable way. So... beware!

--Belin Ibaimendi,
Fool Errant

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 03-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #279
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Mattius lept up from his chair and onto the bar standing high so that all attention was focused on him.

"Good people, we are in search for companions on a new quest where danger will be at every turn. Be you man, dwarf or even hobbit please come and find out more!

Fancy yourself as a bit of a hero and RPGer? I especially like Ransom's Sir Barak Mindalel and also he is from Gondor so that would be really good! Check out the brainstorming thread on Rohan as we are currently discussing a new game based in Fangorn, should be a survival horror classic. Anyways if your interested head over!

Matt

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 03-06-2003, 05:22 AM   #280
cole
Pile O'Bones

Eye

OOC: Is there room for elves?