User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2003, 09:53 PM   #321
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"That's quite all right," Firramer laughed. "Nuru should be along shortly. She promised me she would come, and she said she was bringing a friend."

"Oh, did she?" said Rie with an amused smile. "Have you any idea who this friend is?"

Firramer laughed. "Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. I know who it is. We've going adventuring across Rohan many times before." Memories of swords flashing in the sunlight and the sound of horses hooves thudding as they galloped across the plains came to him and he smiled. Then he remembered a laughing, golden-haired maiden, riding her horse and smiling at him, and he turned away so Rie and Talômi wouldn't see the tears that sprang unbidden to his eyes.

"Firramer, are you all right?" Rie asked, for she was very observant and saw the look that passed across his face.

"Yes, I am," he replied, his voice sounding hoarse. "When Nuru and the other arrive, I'll tell you a little story."

Talômi and Rie were most enthusiastic about this idea, and became a bit impatient for Nuru and the 'other,' as Firramer referred to him, to arrive. Neither of them could deny that they enjoyed a good tale now and then, and from what they had heard from Nuru, Firramer was a master of that art.

The door opened and a little cold breeze passed through the room. Nuru hurried forward and gave Rie, Talômi, and Firramer in turn greeting hugs. "Now, you two," she said with a nod at Rie and Talômi, "this is who I wanted you to meet." She beckoned to the figure still standing in the doorway and he stepped forward, closing the door gently behind him. "Eohsecg," she said, and nothing more.

"I'm pleased to meet you both," he said with a little bow, and smiled widely at Firramer. "Hello, old friend."

"The last time I saw you was when you were just a little boy and I was chosen as your instructor on the art of swords," said Firramer, embracing the man.

"Yes, I well remember those times," Eohsecg replied with a laugh. "I'm now 23 years of age." He turned to the two redheads standing beside him. "But I am rude to you," he said. "I have already given myself a proper introduction, but it is not considered polite to ignore you now."

"Talômi," said the man, with a little nod. "And I am also pleased to meet you."

"Rie," said she, deciding not to bother with giving her full name. Nobody ever called her by her full name anyway. "And please don't think yourself rude. Talômi and myself would never dream of coming between the reunion of two old friends."

"M'lady," said Eohsecg, color coming to his cheeks. He took her hand and lifted it, kissing it gently. "I am pleased to meet you." Rie also blushed. He smiled warmly at her. "Now, Firramer, I propose that I get drinks for us all so we may speak lightly together and become great friends." He quickly counted them. "Five of us." He laughed. "I shall then need some assistance in bringing the drinks back to our little table. Would any of you be so kind as to help me with that small task?"
Old 05-08-2003, 02:08 AM   #322
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Well met, Lady Avery... well met," Ronnan mused as he settled back once more. Street rat, eh? Well certainly she did not have the pinched and half-starved look of the many street rats he knew of, but then appearances could be misleading as he well knew. Certainly she had a ready enough smile for him and Ronnan decided he'd fish a little further. Information was the lifeblood of a good thief's profession.

"Is it your habit to grace such places as this often, Lady Avery? I confess that I am a newcomer to this part of the land. I would not have been so remiss in my acquaintance with Rohan had I known that it was enhanced by such fairness as I find here."

He smiled kindly at Avery to press his point and hopefully further soften his question. So intent was he on the young lady that he missed the movement through the door of a tall, blonde Elf woman. Delicate gold shimmered around her face as her hair swung with her movement and emerald eyes flashed as she took in the room. She scanned from just inside the door and quickly they came to rest upon a dark haired Elf that stood chatting sociably at the bar with an ale in his nimble fingered hands.

Her lips curved into a smile that if seen by Ronnan would be far from settling. She smoothed the green velvet of her skirts over her hips and remained as she was. Whilst Ronnan was engaged at the bar she was happy to wait. She had not trailed him across the leagues between Belfalas and Rohan to ruin it all in an overeager springing of her snare. Besides, she was loathe to create a spectacle. It was difficult for an Elf to travel unnoticed through mortal lands, particularly a woman travelling alone which was all but unheard of amongst her kindred. But Naiore was not in herself a usual Elven woman. As with many of her kindred descended from the House of Finarfin, usual was the last word applied in description of her. She calmly folded her hands at her waist and watched patiently, taking the room and those within it at her leisure. If Ronnan had sold his recently acquired belongings, it would be some time before it was safe for her to venture into an inn such as this. The inns she would be relegated to for a time when wanted for the henious crime of murder were never so pleasant in her experience as this one was. Ronnan unconcernedly conversed, clad in his ineffable charm and watched by a most formidible observer.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 05-08-2003, 09:14 AM   #323
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Anuion nodged the sleeping Bordarigorn. The man woke up and saw a standing Anuion who was rolling up his sleeves.

"What the hell are you going to do?"

"I set a table skywards with nicked fireworks. So now I have to wash some dishes as a punishment. To repay for the big hole in the roof."

"You always have been a crasy idiot. Need me to help. Ill bet you will be washing dishes very long untill you have payed that thing off."

"Nah, I have payed for the roof already. You know I'm not poor. But those poor little Hobbits look as if they are going to die in there. So I will just lend them a hand if you don't mind."

"Always helping people out eh? Ahw well, I will help to. Since you waked me, there is not much I can do now."

"The two walked to the kitchen and on their way they passed Bêthberry who was not there since she was away. They entered the kitchen and started scrubbing pans, while having a laugh with the Hobbits. Never knew kishwashing could be such fun!
Old 05-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #324
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I'll help you," Talômi offered. A touch too quickly, perhaps. Rie's cheeks were still flushed, and she was looking at the handsome young man's eyes a little too closely for Talômi's comfort. He suppressed a laugh at his own thought of Eohsecg as a 'young man', when the man had three years on Talômi.

The redhead walked with Eohsecg to the counter, standing behind as he ordered the five drinks. I'm being stupid, he thought fiercely. I should be bigger than this. Rie's old enough to make her own decisions. I'm going to be friendly if it kills me! He put a smile on his face just as Eohsecg turned around. He took three of the drinks, balancing them carefully the way his mother had taught him--with only two girls in a house of eight people, the boys had been put to work in the kitchen every bit as much as the girls. He grinned for true as Eohsecg nodded approvingly at the Talômi's balancing act, precarious though it may have been.

He continued to smile as they walked back to the table. "So Firramer taught you swordfighting?" Talômi asked, trying to make conversation. "Are you a soldier?"
Old 05-08-2003, 09:29 PM   #325
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

A quick nod from Eohsecg told Talômi that he had been right. "Well, that is to say, I'm a scout," said the man of Rohan. "Mostly I'm just sent to scout the land, but there is occasionally the need for a sword."

"Is it dangerous?" Rie asked. "I mean scouting."

Eohsecg turned his blue eyes to her and smiled. "It does depend, m'lady," he said. "Most days everything is quiet, but there are some days when bandits and thieves roam about, and then it may become dangerous, if they have skill with weapons." He laughed. "Most of them take one look at my sword and run."

"I suppose what you mean by that is that they fear a sword, not your sword specifically," said Rie with a mischievous grin.

The four of them laughed at this clever remark. Eohsecg raised his glass. "I propose a toast to the health of our dear Nurumaiel, Talômi of the Rangers, and the fairest of fair maidens, Rie." And then he looked straight into her eyes and smiled again.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:12 AM   #326
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Although Neisa had never been one to make conversation with others that was not completely necessary, she nonetheless could not help feeling a brief pang of jealousy as she watched the group in the corner toasting one another's health. It was at times like these that she missed her brother, although it was partially his fault that she had ended up like this. Why couldn't he have been a little more ambitious? The adventures and quests they could have undertake together as twins played in her head every night when she went to sleep, cascading through her mind in torturous dreams.

She supposed she should be grateful to him - after all, if it wasn't for him, she would not possess half of her skills. But he aspired to so little in life! All he wanted was to marry a peasant girl and settle down to a farmer's life. She sniffed a little. Whoever heard of a rich farmer?! He would get all their father's money when the old cavalryman died, but it would do nought but sit in his house and gather dust for years.

Her father...she remembered the kindly old gentleman's face as it drifted before her eyes. He loved his family more than life itself, and her mother's sudden death had almost killed him instantly. Sometimes Neisa almost wished it had; anything was better than coming home and watching him slowly waste away to nothing. It broke her heart to see his condition deteriorate so rapidly. She would give anything for him to go back to the way he used to be before her mother died.

And here she was, moping about her life, drinking ale, trying to find a way out of the drudgery of her existence. She sighed heavily, stood up and walked over to the table where the merry-makers were sat. A smile was fixed onto her face, and she was determined to make everything in her world at least seem all right, even though in her heart she knew she could not change it.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:20 PM   #327
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Firramer was a kindly man and when he saw the young woman approaching he prepared to welcome her. Her face was smiling but he could see in her eyes a sadness and a fear of being turned away.

"Greetings!" he said with a friendly smile, and giving a little bow out of courtesy. "Will you be so kind as to join our table, m'lady?"
Old 05-09-2003, 12:41 PM   #328
Airerûthiel
Wight

Shield

Neisa was taken aback by such a show of kindness between perfect strangers. Then the wasted etiquette lessons kicked in, and she dropped a small curtsey obediently. "Thank you, kind sir," she said. Keep smiling, keep smiling... "It would be an honour to join such folk as yourselves." She sat down at the table and scanned the curious eyes of the rest.

"I must give thanks to you all for being so hospitable and friendly towards me," she said. Make them like you. She tried to shut out her mother's voice. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Neisa, and I come from Edoras. Now, seeing as I have told you my name, perhaps you would all be so kind as to tell me yours?"

[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: Airerûthiel ]
Old 05-09-2003, 02:08 PM   #329
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Firramer of Rohan, lady," said he with a kindly smile. Pointing to each of the companions in turn, he introduced them. "Nurumaiel of the Elves of Rivendell, Talômi and Rie of the Rangers, and Eohsecg of Rohan."

Eohsecg stood up from where he was sitting to Rie and gave a little bow before sitting back down again. "M'lady, I beg your pardon, but have we met before?" Neisa looked a little bewildered and slowly shook her head. "Ah, I suppose we have not. However, your face looks familiar. I have often been to Edoras, so perhaps I have seen you wanderering about there?"

Nurumaiel spoke up as Eohsecg turned to Rie to ask her if she liked her drink. Firramer smiled a little at the foolish question, but he could see exactly what Eohsecg's feelings for Rie were, though they had only known each other for a short time.

"Neisa, would you like a drink?" Nuru asked. At the woman's, "Yes, thank you," the Elf hurried to the counter to order one.

Firramer raised his glass again and said, "And a toast to fair Neisa of Edoras who has so graced our table with her presence."
Old 05-10-2003, 04:51 AM   #330
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Herlion slid open the door of the inn. The sign swaying over his head told him that it was called The White Horse, and that it was owned by a woman called Bethberry. It was rather cold outside, so Herlion, noticing the disapproving looks the guests nearer to the door were giving him, closed it hastily, keeping the wind from slamming it shut.

He edged quickly around the room, moved towards the bar, keeping as close to the walls as possible without walking into anything or anybody. Finally, coming to the bar, he ordered a beer and sat down quietly in a corner, cushioning his bench with his cloak, and hoping that there was somebody with a good story to tell near him, for Herlion loved listning to good stories, whether true or old adventures of legend, of which nobody knew how much was truth and how much fancy of the teller.

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-11-2003, 04:42 AM   #331
Airerûthiel
Wight

Shield

Neisa sipped her drink idly and half-listened to the group's conversation. Already she felt she liked these people, despite not knowing so much about them. From the corner of her eye she could see someone new had walked into the inn, someone with the look of a lover of tales in his eyes. She debated talking to him, but he seemed to prefer his own company for some reason. Eventually she decided to ask Firramer something that had been preying on her mind for a considerable time.

"Forgive me for my asking this," she said, twisting a strand of her dark blonde wavy hair around her finger, "but why are such a strangely mixed group as yourselves wandering this Middle-earth together? Long years have passed since Elves, Rangers and Men of Rohan walked together as a band of friends."
Old 05-11-2003, 12:15 PM   #332
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Firramer took a few moments thinking on how to make a long story short. "Well, m'lady, Nurumaiel here once travelled many years ago from Rivendell to Lothlorien through the Gap of Rohan, and there we met her after challenging her." He stopped and laughed. "We were very young, you see, myself and the other riders who accompanied me.

"These two redheads," he said with a grin, "were introduced to me by Nuru at the Barrow-Downs birthday party."

Nurumaiel spoke up. "Please, Neisa, tell us a little about yourself. How old are you? Where is your family?"
Old 05-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #333
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Herlion pushed dark bangs from his face impatiently, wishing that somebody would talk to him... he felt like an outsider in here, he did not live here, he had never been here. He had his beer, of course, and not his first, but he was beginning to feel as though he had consumed a bit too much alcohol in one day. Finally, slumping down onto the bench, half sitting, half lying, he fell asleep.

Herlion woke to find himself on the floor and under the table. Feeling utterly humiliated, though he didn’t know if anybody had seen him fall, he came back out, running one hand through his hair and straightening his clothes with the other. Deciding not to have any more drinks today, Herlion dropped outside for a quick breath of air, but came back in quickly, his stained cloak being not enough protection from the cold. He stamped his feet a bit to warm up again, and sat back down, still feeling like he was being ignored by these... he hesitated to call them people, as they were certainly not all human, but perhaps... these others. Foreigners, maybe. He didn’t see anyone who looked like they came from the South of Rohan, like him, but, then again, he could only see a few people, and could hear that the othe side of the bar was noisy and very much full.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-12-2003, 11:07 AM   #334
Airerûthiel
Wight

Shield

Neisa pondered how to answer Nurumaiel's question. Her family relationship was complex to say the least. She decided to say as little as possible. Best to get it over and done with. Besides, she was intrigued by the gentleman crawling out from underneath a nearby table after what seemed like one too many ales. But she could not abandon her new friends so soon after meeting with them.

"To make a long tale short," she said, "I was born in Edoras twenty winters ago. My father and younger twin brother live in a house like those of the richer Rohirrim in the hills close to Meduseld."

"What about your mother?" asked Nuru. "Where is she?"

"Dead." There was more than a trace of sorrow in Neisa's voice as she wiped her glazed-over eyes. "I am guilty for thinking this, but there is no part of me that misses her in the slightest. She always tried to make my personality like my brother's, and his like mine.

"He wants nothing more than to marry a peasant girl and settle down to a farmer's life somewhere in the Green Hill Country. But I have spent my life seeking adventure, and I am currently trying to get away from my father's house. The old cavalryman has fallen into a state of grief after my mother's passing, and his position in the riders of the Mark has been given to my brother, who is ill-suited to such.

"But if you will excuse me for a moment, I see someone who looks like a fellow lone wanderer. I hope you can understand my reasons for sympathising with him. Would there be any objections if I were to invite him to join us?"

There was none, and she rose and walked over to the bar. Her footsteps echoed as she made her way across the flagged floor. Soon she reached the young gentleman. He was sitting alone at a table on the other side of the bar. She came up behind him, careful to make as little noise as possible. He turned round just as she arrived beside him.

"Forgive my asking," she said to him, "but my companions and I could not help noticing you were alone and in need of company. Would you care to join us at our table?" She offered a weather-beaten hand out to him. "My name is Neisa, and I come from Edoras. Would you be so kind as to tell me what they call you?"
Old 05-12-2003, 11:52 AM   #335
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Herlion still sat slumped at the bar, staring down at the countertop, wondering what the best way to fall asleep would be, when he was startled out of his rather pessimistic thoughts about hangovers by a female voice. "Forgive my asking," it said softly, "but my companions and I could not help noticing you were alone and in need of company. Would you care to join us at our table? My name is Neisa, and I come from Edoras. Would you be so kind as to tell me what they call you?"

For a moment Herlion was a bit rattled at the idea of somebody speaking to him, and he turned what must have been a wonderful deep shade of red, then answered,: "I... my name is Herlion, Lady Neisa, and I came here also from Rohan. I live rather far from Edoras, though I come there often, but I have never seen you before. And I would love to join you and your companions, as I have been bored nearly out of my wits, and until now have been resorting to alcohol, which is never a wise idea."

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #336
Airerûthiel
Wight

Shield

Neisa gave a small smile - the first genuine expression that had been seen on her face all day. Already she liked Herlion, although she did not know him too well. "Come with me to meet my friends," she said. "I am sure they will make you as welcome as they made me. To drink alone is disheartening, to drink with others is companionable, and a drink and a tale is ten times better, as my father used to say."

She ordered another jug of ale from a passing serving girl, and asked for it to be brought to their table. Then she and Herlion walked back to where the others were seated. He did not say much, but she had seen the look of a tale-teller in his eyes. No doubt he had many stories to tell when he got going.

The rest of the group were deep in conversation as Neisa and Herlion returned. The pair took seats on the bench and Neisa made the introductions. "Firramer and Eohsecg of Rohan, Nurumaiel of the Rivendell Elves, and Talômi and Rie of the Rangers. This is Herlion of Rohan. I trust there are no objections to his joining our table?"

There was none, only a chorus of greetings and questions. Neisa took the jug of ale from the serving girl and began to pour the drink into flagons. "So, Herlion," she said, "please tell us more about yourself."
Old 05-13-2003, 08:46 PM   #337
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Eohsecg greeted Herlion by standing up and giving a little bow, then he sat back down next to Rie. Neisa and Herlion were speaking, but Eohsecg wasn't listening. His eyes were fixed on Rie, who didn't seem to be listening, either. Instead she looked to be deep in thought, her chin resting in her hands, a single strand of her bright red hair falling in her face. Eohsecg stretched out his hand. "Excuse me, m'lady, but there is some hair..." He brushed it away and she looked up at him, startled. "Your pardon," he said with a smile. "I thought it might be bothering you. It was an excuse. He had wanted to touch her face, which didn't seem to be real, so smooth and fair.

"Oh, thank you," said Rie, looking at him with a queer expression on her face. She was uncertain. What could she say? She couldn't deny that when his hand had touched her face she had felt odd inside. Why did he keep looking at her like he was? She averted her eyes to look out the window at the clear sky of Rohan.

Eohsecg was also confused. He felt as he had never felt before. A strange feeling that was undescribable. But he felt it in this maid's presence, and it was even stronger when he looked at her, something he hadn't been able to stop doing. To hide this confusement he asked, "What were you thinking about, m'lady?"
Old 05-13-2003, 09:19 PM   #338
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Rie startled when Eohsecg brushed the lock of hair away from her face. The way he looked at her...no one had ever looked at her that way before. It made a blush rise in her cheeks--not that that was a really uncommon occurance--and it gave her a queer twist in her stomach. Talômi didn't seem happy about it, though. He glowered at Eohsecg, though he pasted a smile on his face whenever the young man looked his way.

"What were you thinking about, m'lady?" Eohsecg asked.

"Oh," Rie said, "nothing, really. Just the last few days...or the last couple of weeks, I guess. You see, I ran away from home a few months ago--I think it's seven months, now--and it's just now that Talômi and I are back together. It's been quite a month." That was a lie. She had been thinking about the way he was looking at her, about the strange look in his blue eyes, about the way his blonde hair fell into his face. She took a breath and pushed her hair out of her face again, unconsciously.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:31 PM   #339
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"It does sound like quite an adventure," said Eohsecg with a soft smile. He continued to gaze at her in silence, unaware of Talômi's smouldering glare on his back. He only saw Rie, her fair face topped with red hair. She looked uncomfortable, unsure, confused. He felt the same: unsure. What should he say? What should he do? Should he say something to her? He tried to turn his face away so she couldn't see the confusion clearly written on it, but he couldn't. All he could do was keep gazing into her clear eyes.

A long silence followed. Nuru was listening to Neisa and Herlion, but Talômi and Firramer both saw all that was going on between Eohsecg and Rie. Talômi saw Rie's feelings, and Firramer saw Eohsecg's. Firramer knew what the young man's feelings were. After all, he thought, Rie is a beautiful and charming girl.

Eohsecg spoke, unaware of what he was saying, and even more unaware that he was saying it in front of the whole common room. Only Talômi, Firramer, and Rie heard, though, for his voice was a murmur, unable to grow any louder. "Rie, has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?"
Old 05-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #340
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Rie's green eyes widened at Eohsecg's question. Beautiful? Unconsciously she touched her face. She had never thought of herself as beautiful. She would have loved to have a long, elegant nose like her mother, or her elder brother Alanai's large, slightly tilted eyes, or maybe to have had a face without the light freckles that were scattered around the bridge of her nose--not too many people noticed those, but Rie was always aware of them. Beautiful? Her?

While all of these thoughts were passing through her mind, the only thing that came out of her mouth was "No, not other than my parents and brothers." She blushed. That wasn't the right thing to say!

Talômi's eyes widened as well, but not for the same reason. What arrogance! The boy--suddenly Eohsecg was no longer a young man, but a boy, even with his seniority to Talômi--had only met Rie today, and suddenly he was calling her beautiful! Not to say she wasn't, of course, but...but...he had no right!

A small voice in the back of his head asked, why not? He would have told a pretty girl that she was attractive. He had, on occasion. Why was it different with his sister?

Either way, this was Rie's fight. He would protect her if it came to that, but he had to wait it out. Rie said, "No, not other than my parents and brother," and he sat heavily back in his seat and crossed his arms, glaring daggers at Eohsecg. The ball was in his court now.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 PM   #341
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Eohsecg felt himself blushing. What had he just said? That was the kind of thing you thought, not the kind of thing you said to a young woman a few minutes after you had met her, whether it was true or not. He had to look away from Rie. He knew Talômi was glaring at him, he knew everyone around the table was watching him. But he couldn't take his eyes off her.

Firramer saw the young man's uncomfortable situation and came to the rescue quickly. "I agree, lady," he said. "You are very beautiful." Rie blushed again. "After all, nobody around the table could deny the fact, could they?" Nobody protested to this. "Eohsecg, I haven't seen you in awhile. Tell me what you've been doing recently."

Shooting a grateful look at Firramer, Eohsecg told him a series of small little tales of no importance, promising himself he wouldn't be so outspoken in the future and that he would make sure to get onto Talômi's good side later that evening.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:09 AM   #342
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Naiore watched as the conversation her subject was holding at the bar wound to a natural close. The Prince of Thieves was well warmed by the ale in his hand and looked to be enjoying himself in this mortal land with his mortal drink of choice. Avery had quickly seen through his dazzling charm to think twice about prolonging any further chatter. The polite distraction of conversation was one thing, the company of a known thief was quite another. Naiore smiled indulgently as Ronnan turned back to order another ale, relaxed and quite at ease which is exactly the moment she had been waiting for. There was a score to be settled and the Prince of Thieves had been unwise enough to accrue a debt, of sorts, to none other than herself.

With the memories of the response she had encountered at the Thieves Guild of Dol Amroth playing through her mind, alarmed faces and earnestly offered apologies offered when they realised exactly who and what she was still clear within her mind, Naiore smoothed the folds of velvet at her hips and proceeded to glid effortlessly on light feet through the tables. She approached Ronnan as he had just set down payment for his second ale, a serene smile lighting her elven features and a knowing glint of anticipation in emerald eyes.

"How curious that we should both share a love of Rohan, Ronnan," she murmured in a voice that all but purred. Ronnan's spine stiffened involuntarily at the sound of her low, musical voice that floated on the air. He slowly turned to confirm what his mind was screaming at him. Indeed, none other than Naiore Dannan stood resplesdant as always before him. He had thought himself safe, comparatively speaking, and obviously he was incorrect in his assessment of matters. Certainly, her smile was far from safe. "Lady!"

His voice had a distinctly squeaky sound that he loathed at once. Naiore's smile only widened elegantly. "Will you not introduce me to your lovely companion?" Ronnan glanced at Avery somewhat wretchedly. "Lady Avery, may I introduce you to the Lady Naiore of....," he broke off uncertainly. Naiore smoothly finished for him without hesitation, "Belfalas. Mae Govannan Lady Avery. It would seem that Ronnan has a growing appreciation for the wonders of ale if he finds my home so difficult to recall."

Ronnan silenced a protest, knowing full well that to disclose his dissembling over Naiore's origins would only cast more suspicion over himself and he had enough trouble as it was. Instead, he made do with the semblance of proprietry. "Would you care for a drink, Lady Naiore? Doubtless you have travelled far." Naiore heard him grasp for information on the manner of her arrival. "Indeed I have and would. One does not travel at speed through day and night without acquiring the need for refreshment."

Ronnan would have groaned to hear that Naiore had gone to such lengths to track him down if it would have helped him and Naiore knew it. He turned back to the bar and ordered a glass of wine, knowing full well what manner of refreshement she would require. "Have you enlivened this establishment long, Ronnan," Naiore asked as she relieved him of the goblet he presented to her.

"No, I have not had that fortune," he replied glumly. "Well perhaps later you will." Ronnan would have liked to ask how much later, but she forestalled him by raising her goblet to her lips and delicately sipping the ruby wine. "Rohan is a land filled with wonder. Such is how I have ever found it." Ronnan hid his self-recriminatory grimace in his ale. Rohan, which had seemed so very safe and distant from his usual haunts, was also the well known realm of visitation by one of the many he was hoping avoid. Somehow, his optimistic nature had lead him to believe that Naiore Dannan had much more important things to do than pursue a thief.

"Perhaps we could find a table," Naiore prompted. Avery seemed reluctant to join the pair, discerning the risky tenor to their conversation thus far and wisely deciding to not throw herself in it's midst until she could be sure which side was one she wished to throw her lot in with. It would be a difficult decision to make when the choices were the Prince of Thieves and the Terror of Mordor. Neither one was particularly trustworthy. Ronnan duly held Naiore's chair out for her and sank into his own when she had lithely folded herself into it.

"I know why you're here," he opened before she could in the hopes of maintaining some control over the direction of the conversation. Naiore arched a mocking brow in his direction. "Then I am surprised you sit with me at this table if you indeed know the nature of my intentions." So smoothly spoken, the words still held a chill which carried clearly. "I can return it. I still have it." Naiore set down her glass on the table and laughed. It was a clear, musical sound and it unnerved Ronnan more than anything else she could possibly say or do. "That comes as no surprise, Prince of Thieves," she replied with cutting sarcasm placed on his title. "There are few who would dare take up possession of what you presently have."

Ronnan sighed disconsolately for Naiore was right. He had tried to offload the items in question more than once. The Guild at Dol Amroth had stared aghast at his bounty and simply vacated the room at great haste. Yet at the time of his ill-considered theft, it had seemed so perfect a mark to lift. Beautifully worked in an art lost now to Elves and Men and Dwarves, incalculable value. The mithril swan was carved with breathtaking artistic vision, each feather intricately articulated, the graceful sweep of its neck. Tiny black diamonds glittered for the eyes. The beak was carved from ebony. The feathers were inlaid with a pearl that seemed to glow with a hidden light. The feet were amber. It was an extraordinary piece of scuplture.

It also happened to be well documented as one the belongings of Naiore Dannan, for whom the swan had been commissioned and inspired by. The ill-fated suitor who had tendered it for her consideration was somewhat well known. Naiore had never been clearly linked with his unfortunate and untimely death but neither had she deigned to deny it and the Swan became a mysterious artefact. In truth, Ronnan had thought Naiore would not particularly care for its continued existence in her possession. Afterall, she was in no need of wealth and it came from a suitor that rumour had so displeased her that she had caused his death. Yet there she was, sitting across the table from him and watching the same way a hunting cat of Rhun watched its prey.

"When would you like it back," he asked. Naiore took her time, savouring the wine before offering a reply and enjoying the thief's discomfort. "As soon as can be arranged. I will need time to set things into place. One does not simply rent a chamber in which to extract repentance freely in Rohan." Ronnan blanched at her bald statement. "Repentance," he repeated in the hope she was jesting or his hearing was flawed, the likelihood of either remote given her nature and his excellent hearing. Naiore blinked in surprise herself.

"Yes, for it shall not be said that a thief be he Prince of Thieves or otherwise can intrude into my private chambers and remove items of his selection at will. A lady's chambers are inviolate and such an act cannot go unpunished." Naiore seemed taken aback at his ignorance of such simple matters of propriety and courtesy. Ronnan was surprised at her committment to such social mores givn her occupation.

He laughed in disbelief at her explanation. "You would punish me for transgressions of chivalry?" Naiore favoured him with an expression that implied that her estimation of his intelligence was over generous and elaborated further. "There is never reason to allow one's manners to slip no matter what cause one pursues." Ronnan sat back in his chair at that, unsure of how to argue that an Elf whose "cause" included some of the most depraved examples of life within Arda had no need to be concerned about manners and instead gave himself over to manufacturing a way to elude the Terror of Mordor.

Naiore deemed the conversation concluded and enjoyed her wine. The great shame of it, Ronnan thought, that were she not who she was she would make a most charming companion. Certainly, between her fair form, quick wit and considerable abilities she would make one ally Ronnan would most definately wish to call his own and most definately an enemy he would avoid at all costs even if it meant an ungracious departure of his own. Being a thief at times called for such things.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 05-16-2003, 11:20 AM   #343
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Day had slowly sunk into night at The White Horse, and tension was growing around the table of the Elf, men of Rohan, and Rangers. Talômi shot daggers at Eohsecg with his eyes whenever the young man glanced at Rie or Talômi himself. Nurumaiel had retreated to the counter to get a drink, whispering in joking voice to Firramer that she wasn't used to mortal's foolish behavior, but her eyes showed some concern. Firramer himself was trying to think of something to say to get Eohsecg out of the trouble he was in. Talômi was occupying himself with glaring at Eohsecg, and Rie was blushing and feeling very uncomfortable.

"I'm ordering a room for the night," said Eohsecg hesitantly. He ventured to look at Talômi, who glared back furiously. "I'll see you all in the morning, and tommorrow I would like to start afresh with Talômi." He retreated hastily to the counter to order his room.

"Rie, why don't you go to Nuru and get a room?" Firramer asked kindly. "I'm sure she wouldn't mind sharing a room with you. Talômi and I can share one. Eohsecg just needs to have some time to himself. He's a bit confused." Firramer waited until Rie had departed with Nuru, and Eohsecg was safely gone, then he looked at Talômi and spoke gently. "Why don't you tell me all about it? I've often been told I'm a good listener and can be a great comfort to those who are confused or upset. I understand how you must feel, but I also understand Eohsecg... perfectly." A look of pain passed over his face, but it disappeared so quickly that Talômi wasn't sure he had actually seen it. "I won't laugh," said Firramer seriously, "and I'll do my best to listen patiently to you and straighten things out a little tomorrow without interfering too much."
Old 05-16-2003, 09:48 PM   #344
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Talômi sat with his arms folded as Rie stood up from the table. When he followed suit, she leaned over to him and whispered fiercely, "I will talk to you later." The redheaded young man started to protest, but a glare and a warning shake of a finger from his sister silenced him.

"Rie, I--" he tried again, but her furious eyes brooked no discussion. He sighed and hung back while Rie and Nuru left for their room.

Once everyone was gone, Firramer turned to Talômi. "Why don't you tell me all about it?" he asked gently. "I've often been told I'm a good listener and can be a great comfort to those who are confused or upset. I understand how you must feel, but I also understand Eohsecg...perfectly. I won't laugh, and I'll do my best to listen patiently to you and straighten things out a little tomorrow without interfering too much."

Talômi started to say something, but the look of patience in Firramer's eyes somehow stopped him as short as Rie's fury ever had. He heaved a deep sigh and sat back down heavily.

"I just got her back," he said without preamble. "Seven months I was missing her, and I just got her back now. She and I were never apart. Never! I was her shadow. Where Rie went, there I was. Only at night-time were we ever apart, and that only started once we turned seven. She got her own room then, because she was the only girl. I had to move in with my younger brothers until...but that's beside the point." He scrubbed a hand through his hair in frustration. "I don't want to lose her now. I know the looks that Eohsecg is giving her--I recognize them--and I know where it's going to lead, because I see the looks on her face, too. I'm no good at thinking like a woman--what man is?--but I think that as women see it, Eohsecg is a nice-looking man, and chivalrous to boot. What's a twin brother got against that?" He laughed, but there was no joy in it. "He's a soldier, or a scout, or whatever. Women seem to really go for a man who's seen battle."

"I understand that you're a Ranger, though, are you not?" Firramer said. Talômi laughed again.

"I had barely begun true training when Rie left. I didn't wait long to follow her. I would accompany my father whenever he left, him and my older brothers, but I can't say that I ever actually participated in battle. I've got a couple of cuts, but nothing, I'm sure, on what honorable war wounds Eohsecg could show." His voice had grown steadily bitter, and, to his embarrassment, sulkier. He flushed, and began tracing the table with his finger. "I suppose you think I'm being stupid," he muttered, not lifting his head. "And I guess I am. But that's all there is to it." He looked up hesitantly, waiting to see what Firramer would say.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:13 PM   #345
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Firramer listened patiently, quietly, letting Talômi have his say. He realized it must be a relief to the young man. Finally the Ranger stopped and looked at him, almost defiant, waiting for a scolding. Firramer spoke gently. "I understand," he said. "It is hard to lose someone that dear to you. But you must realize that she won't be gone for a long while. And maybe even longer. Just because she and Eohsecg are quite taken with each other doesn't mean it will last forever, though it may." He stopped, and seemed to consider, then spoke again. "And, Talômi, you're not really losing her."

"What do you mean?" Talômi asked, startled. "If she went off with Eohsecg then of course I'd be losing her."

"I would have thought the same thing if it hadn't been for something that happened to me many years back, before I met Nurumaiel, before I met - " He stopped. "No, you wouldn't know who they were." He hesitated for a moment, then plunged on desperately, like he wanted to get it out as fast as he could.

"Many years ago when I was just a young lad I happened to go to an inn much like this one after a long ride. I was weary and hungry. The first thing I saw was a beautiful golden-haired lass with sparkling blue eyes behind the counter, laughing with delight at the music a wandering bard was playing. I couldn't help it: I fell completely in love with her.

"I approached her and asked for a meal. She gave me the sweetest smile I had ever seen in my life and went right away to get me something. She told me in a kindly voice that though she would be thrown out if she were caught, she wasn't going to make me pay a coin, and then she sat down on the counter to watch me. She appeared curious, and at last she admitted that she had never seen one so young in the service of the King. I told her I was twenty-one years of age, but she insisted that that was young, or at least all of the other Rohirrim she had seen at the inn were very old.

"We talked together for long, and at last I went to the room she got me, again for nothing. I told her that might be a little too much to do, and she laughed lightly and said, of course, she would pay for it.

"I never left the inn. I stayed there where I could be nearer to her, and at last she and I went to my home where we were to be wed." He stopped and looked at Talômi, and the Ranger was surprised to see tears in the man's eyes. "You think it might be a happy ending, but it wasn't.

"The day before we were to be wed, we went out riding together, just her and I, to a cliffside, where we could look over fair Rohan, thinking that soon it would be the two of us, together for all time. But then the unexpected happened, the terrible, the horrible..." He paused, and his hands gripped the table. "Her horse slipped as we were riding along the cliff edge, and fell with her still riding. I galloped down and took up her broken body in my arms. She was still alive, though just barely. She didn't say anything aloud, but she just looked into my eyes for what seemed like hours, then she breathed, 'It would have been beautiful. Remember me.'" He stopped once again, the tears now running freely down his face. "Then she died."

Talômi didn't know what to say. He just sat there as Firramer stood up and lay a hand on his shoulder. "So, you see, lad, you're not losing her. Not really. But I understand." Then he went up the stairs, leaving Talômi alone.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 AM   #346
Airerûthiel
Wight

Shield

Neisa had not been able to avoid observing the interactions between the trio of Talômi, Rie and Eohsecg. Her sharp ears had also picked up on Firramer's tale, and she sympathised greatly with him. She knew how he had felt. A sudden pang of sorrow of sorrow stabbed into her heart for an instant, and then died again. It was all she could do not to burst into tears. Maybe that had been why she understood how her friend Torfithien felt, although the Lórien Elf did not know the daughter of Rohan's true past.

She gazed down at her hands. The bloodstains were spreading, running through her fingers like a ruby river. Her heart beat faster and faster as she desperately tried to wipe away the evidence of what she had done. She noticed a few other patrons were giving her strange looks, and panic quickly set in. If only she could turn back time, to when everything was all right, to when Gwannyn was still alive.

It had been her fault he was killed. She had been determined to go off to the battle with the wild Men of the north, and had done everything possible to get among the ranks - cut off her hair, stolen armour from her father, the lot - and yet he had discovered her in the camp. The whispered argument they'd had that night still rang in her mind, sending a shiver down her spine as she remembered the last words he said to her:

"This is not your place. Go back to Edoras. You will be safe there. I will return to the city to claim you as my bride as soon as this fight is over." He kissed her on the forehead, wrapped her in a tight, brief but warm embrace, and walked away into the darkness for ever.

And she had just stood there and watched him go, instead of running after him. She had been weak. He had died because she had not resisted his words. Her wounded heart broke once again, and she could not help feeling more than a little jealous of Rie. It was not that she had any affection for Eohsecg other than as a friend; it was the fact that the Ranger was receiving something that the maid of Rohan had not felt for a long three years.

She sighed heavily, drained the last of her ale and made her way up the stairs to her bed. But her dreams would have no peace tonight. She was determined to get away from Edoras, with all its bad memories and pressure upon her to be perfect. There was a limit to how much she could take, and she was teetering on the edge of it.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:51 PM   #347
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Herlion saw that Neisa seemed to be thinking about something, and did not speak. The others sitting at the table where he was spoke civilly, but looked daggers at each other. He did not want to interfere, and, feeling increasingly uncomfortable, edged a bit away from the group and stared down at the floor for a while, deciding to return to the table when things quieted down for a bit.

For the time, he sat a bit, warming his hands, thinking and remembering. He hoped that here he would find somebody to be a friend to him, as he knew that many peoples stopped here to talk or drink or spend the night. As a child he had not had many friends, having looked different than the others, with his black hair and green eyes, and been cast out, and all those who had not been his friends as children were not about to start now, so he had left for Edoras recently... there didn't seem to be many people in the room now, and a surprising amount of drunken laughter was coming from beneath tables, so Herlion decided to try for another drink himself. There is really nothing else to do, he thought.

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #348
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Rie sat on her bed, hugging her knees and staring at the ceiling. What was she supposed to do about men? She felt her own fingers brushing her cheek--beautiful?--and lowered them hastily. She was acting like a fool girl with with too much drink in her. And all for a boy, no less!

A light breeze drifted in from the window, open a crack, and shifted Rie's light nightdress. She shivered and pulled the covers over her. Beautiful? She shook her head fiercely. Honestly. If only Nuru was still awake. She would know how to handle boys, undoubtedly. Or maybe Elven men weren't as difficult to handle as humans? She fiddled furiously with her necklace, slipping the ring on and off of her finger. It had been her mother's, passed down through the generations--smith to smith. She felt uncomfortable having it now, having broken that line. No smith--blacksmith or whitesmith or goldsmith--was Talmérië. Just a silly girl all in a tizzy over a young man. She pulled the covers over her head and glowered to herself before she fell asleep.

Talômi, for his own part, could not sleep. He hadn't even gone upstairs to a room. He stayed down in the common room, an empty glass that had contained water in front of him, staring out the window. Why had he been so rude to Eohsecg? It wasn't like Rie was his daughter or anything. Was he so afraid of losing her?

He buried his face in his hands. He couldn't think. Dead. The day before their wedding. Talômi dug his fingernails into his scalp to try and rid himself of the awful image that his mind had composed from Firramer's story. He was being so selfish. "Remember me." A hot tear ran down the young Ranger's cheek, and one ragged sob tore its way out of him. The few other insomniacs looked at him, then just nodded as though they understood exactly what he was thinking. He scrubbed his face fiercely then stood up, knocking the chair over. He picked it up and went upstairs. He had unfinished business.

His determined stride slacked as he actually got up the stairs. Which room was he in? That was Nuru and Rie's right there, and he was sure that Firramer had gone into that one. Oh, yes. There it was. He sighed. Now he'd actually have to do it.

He knocked on the door, and heard a sleepy reply--more of a 'who is it' than a 'come in', but either way Talômi entered.

"Eohsecg?" he said softly, and the young man stared at him in confusion. He smiled apologetically. "I know it's late, but I think we ought to talk."
Old 05-30-2003, 01:36 PM   #349
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Eohsecg spoke before the Ranger could say anything further. "You must forgive me, Talômi," he said hastily. "I apologize. I just feel so strange. A feeling I've never felt before."

"Yes, I see," said Talômi, studying Eohsecg carefully, trying to fight away the ill thoughts that Eohsecg was just playacting.

Eohsecg took a deep breath, then spoke quietly, "Whatever you have to say, I'm ready to listen."
Old 05-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #350
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

"I'm ready to listen," Eohsecg said, sitting up straight. Still, there was a slightly wary look in his eye--a look that Talômi was sure he shared.

"I just hope I'm ready to talk," the Ranger muttered, and he sighed. Leaning against the wall, he gathered himself as though for a fight. "Eohsecg, what I did was wrong. I shouldn't have interfered with you and Rie. She's my sister, but I don't own her. She's a big girl, and she can handle her own affairs." He took a deep breath, and Eohsecg looked about to say something, but Talômi went right over him. "You must understand that I'm just worried about her, though. Despite the fact that we're twins, I've always thought of myself as her protector. She was the one who got into all of the scrapes, and I was the one who got us out of them. This isn't a scrape," he hastened to assure Eohsecg, "but nonetheless my brotherly instinct is kicking in."

Eohsecg looked at him. Like Talômi, he seemed a bit off of his ease, and maybe a little puzzled. Talômi couldn't read his face, though, so he just kept on talking. Just like it felt good to let it all out to Firramer, this confession was relieving. "Rie was never a...a girl, like some girls are. She never swooned over boys, or flirted, or in any way used her femininity to her advantage. Growing up around a flock of boys, she was always just another one of the boys, around us at least. The way she was blushing at your glances, and smoothing her skirts over her knees...it was all so strange on her. Like a new shirt that doesn't fit just right, or is a shade off the right colour." He folded his arms. "I guess I sound pretty stupid. But I suppose what I'm trying to say is that..."--he paused, trying to collect himself--"I won't bother the two of you anymore. And I...I apologize for the way I acted. I hope you can forgive me, and that we can be friends." He stopped abruptly after that, hardly believing that he had really done it. Then he took a deep breath and waited for Eohsecg's response.

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 06-02-2003, 04:37 PM   #351
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

A tall manlike being entered the Inn. He was cloaked, hooded, and covered much of his face with a green wool scarf, and though that was not unusual in the current weather, he did not remove his coverings once inside. A faint scent came from him, reminscent of old pine forests.

He approached the bar, and asked for simply water, no food, nothing alcoholic. Just plain ordinary water. There was something he'd have preferred, but that would have to wait until he reached Fangorn.

The tall--man? elf?--took his water to a corner and watched the people come and go. He'd only left his homeland a short while ago, and was still cautious about how he showed himself. To drink, he slid the cup under his scarf, and kept his other hand in his cloak.

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 06-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #352
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Matau looked up at the building before him, scanning the sign proclaiming the inn's name: The White Horse. A decent enough place, it seemed. And it would be a relief to spend a night with a roof over his head, for a change. He strode inside.

He let the noise of the inn wash over him, not really heeding it; he was inspecting the patrons. The usual sort of crowd, hardly different from those he'd seen in other inns. Some sat in groups, others alone; he caught a glimpse of an elf and a man back in the kitchen, helping a group of hobbits wash dishes. A tall, heavily shrouded man sat in a corner, one covered hand holding his scarf around his head, the other resting on the table. Matau raised an eyebrow. How unusual.

He ordered an ale at the bar, then located a vacant table and sat down, flicking back his dark green cloak. Glancing around again, out of habitual watchfulness rather than suspicion, he took a long pull at his drink. A fine brew, he noted. He filled and lit his pipe, and proceded to watch the company through a haze of smoke.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #353
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Herlion opened his eyes, picked himself up from the floor to which he had once again slid, and tried not to yawn as he heard the door swing open twice, admitting a few new personages, one of them looking somewhat guarded covered in cloak and not showing any eyes or hands.

He rubbed his own eyes, trying to get the bleariness away. He rubbed his back, which had begun to develop a bit of a crick, glanced over at the newcomers again, curiously, and settled back into the comfort of his cloak.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #354
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The stranger sipped his water, taking his time. It was a little bitter, not something anyone else would notice, but this fellow was an exception. Tiny differences in the water of a place told him volumes about the source. This was most likely from a deep well, near some sort of metal deposits.

He looked around. Several people were looking at him oddly. He chuckled musically, thinking that they'd look at him odder still, should he uncloak. Ordinary people didn't carry a wealth of leaves and twigs in their hair. But then, he wasn't ordinary.

He thought about approaching someone for directions to the Forest, but he'd heard that Fangorn had something of an evil reputation, even since the War of the Ring, and the Ents' part in it. That was what had brought him to Rohan. He'd always thought that they were just legends that his mother had made up out of loneliness. Fimbrethil was occasionnally given to flights of fancy.

He shifted, trying to get comfortable. He rustled when he moved, and the moment he heard it, stopped. That could draw too much attention to him. Attention he neither wanted, nor needed.

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 06-03-2003, 05:00 PM   #355
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

That tall man in the corner was continually drawing Matau's eye. He tried to keep the glances as surrepticious as possible; he knew from experience that if someone deliberately seated himself in a corner like that, he did not wish to be noticed. Matau could see the man's eyes glittering inside his hood, staring, but not at anything in particular. Deep in thought, evidently.

Matau shifted slightly in his seat, stretching out his legs. He urged his gaze away from the tall man, content to watch him peripherally as he surveyed the rest of the room. A large group sat a little ways away from him, talking. Near them, another man, dark-haired and wrapped in a cloak, seemed to have dropped out of the conversation, and, Matau noted, dropped off to sleep. No, his eyes were slightly open; just dozing maybe, or watching the group beside him.

Scanning the room again, Matau held a small debate with himself, whether to speak to one of the men, or to remain silent, and wait for one of the others to speak to him. As a Ranger, and knowing from personal experience, he knew that getting into a conversation with just anyone was a good way to get into trouble. It was also just as good at finding you a trustworthy companion.

Matau noticed the dark-haired man was watching him with half-closed eyes. As usual, the solution had presented itself without any help from him. Matau beckoned for the man to join him.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #356
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Just as he felt to be ready to fall asleep, though he had already engaged in this activity for a while, one of the newcomers- a man, it seemed- was calling him over. Herlion was suddenly surprised for a moment, as he was rather used to being treated as a piece of furniture- noticed, but ignored- so he paused for a moment, not sure whether it was him who had been called, or somebody behind him.

Finally he stood, stretching, and walked towards the other man. There was a rather surging crowd in the inn, however, so it took him some time to find a path through the strangely assorted groups all around which did not involve much pushing or shoving.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:41 PM   #357
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

The man hesitated, apparently unsure if it was he who was being summoned. After what seemed a moment's thought, he rose and crossed the crowded common room to join Matau at his table. He seemed surprised to have been noticed.

Matau gestured to the seat next to him, which the man promptly took. "Your companions seem to have forgotten you," Matau said, trying to sound amiable. He never was good at conversation; in the Wild, words weren't much needed. The man had a rather unsettled look about him, as though he was drastically out of his element. Matau could most assuredly sympathize.

"I apologize if I interrupted your repose, but we seem to be in something of the same situation. Am I correct in saying that you are not from around here?" The man nodded, his face rather red. "Pardon me," Matau said, suddenly remembering to not remain nameless; "I am Matau. What are you called?"
Old 06-03-2003, 07:00 PM   #358
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Still feeling as though he wasn't supposed to be there, Herlion replied: "Nice to meet you, Matau. I am Herlion," though he stuttered a bit as he said the words.

The man seemed friendly, if looks could be any judge, so Herlion relaxed slightly into a chair, though he must still have looked as though he were ready to jump out at any point. For lack of anything else to say, he asked, "So, where do you come from?"
Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 PM   #359
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

The cloaked stranger watched the dark-haired man and the other man talk, and felt a small pang of loneliness. Never mind, he told himself fiercely. I will have plenty of company once I reach the Forest. I hope.

He suddenly noticed that his cup was empty and arose, moving ponderously, like an old man, and approached the Innkeeper.

"A room for the night, if you please," he requested in a surprisingly high tenor voice that was completely at odds with the apparent age of his movements. It was the voice of a boy, or a very young man. One side of his scarf slipped, and though he caught it quickly, his skin was revealed for a moment. Or was it skin? It was a shade of dark brown, rough and coarse. It resembled the bark of a tree more than anything else.

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 06-04-2003, 10:49 AM   #360
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

"Nice to meet you, Matau. I am Herlion," the man said, stuttering a bit. He seemed extraordinarily ill at ease; even when he relaxed he looked as tense as a bowstring. Matau couldn't help but wonder why he was so nervous.

Herlion was quiet for a moment, then asked, "So, where do you come from?"

Matau smiled; this could be answered in two ways. He decided to tell both. "My home is in Eriador, in the north. Though, now, I'm on my way back from a journey to Mirkwood and Fangorn Forest. I'm something of a traveler." Herlion looked interested, but Matau decided to let it go at that.

"And what of yourself?" Matau asked, reflecting the question. "Where are you from?"