Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2002, 11:11 AM   #161
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Possible addendum to Sauron's ship beached on the shore since we prefer not to kill sleeping people in cold blood................

There is one sleeping spy, and one spy awake who is guarding the small beached ship. Remember our rescue party doesn't know about the osanwe scene and Sauron's suspicions. Because of this, Bird and Rose don't expect there to have been a guard set in peaceful Numenor. But because of Sauron's suspicions, he has advised the spies to keep one guard awake. The guard hears something and then wakes his companion. Then a fight ensues. We win and the hobbrim scuttle the ship.

Maybe, we should have a bigger group--Cami and Daisy as well as Rose and Bird to go to the ship. I don't mind if Cami stumbles over her own nose and wakes up both men, if that helps!

sharon

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:50 AM   #162
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I put this in my email, but let me say it here - Sauron has some small craft he is using for the patrol - they are not his, per se, but are manned by his men. You will have to make up the insignia.

I don't actually see the storm lasting quite so long - it is summer there. I thought the reason you can't leave would be the patrols along the coast line. that would be more plausible.

Yes - get Angara back to the boat - I'm sure Mith will want to speak with her. And Pio has a few things on her mind also (ooh, do we see something interesting coming up here - maybe) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yes - Hobbit lore sequence is good - Helen I think we abandoned the idea that Sauron knew nothing of the hobbits, but he knows nothing of their import to the future of M-E. Hobbits make good sacrifices - saves on Men!

Yes - to the beached boat - but it will have to be earler than you planned - the storm should not last that long.

Let Daisy go, too, to the beached ship - I PM'd you, Child, that she and Rose were in the proper mindset for killing foe due to their talk with Pio after sword practice.

The Star is 100 miles out - it will come in slowly, looking as if it were trawling for fish, etc. It does not want to raise the suspicions of the patrol boats.
** If you are swimming toward the ship, I assume this means by yourself?! or are the hobbrim coming too & BTW how many are there? **

Can we get Daisy to the tombs before we drag you all back out to sea? Because we will be heading back out once we have picked you up. We cannot hang out in the Bay, hiding all but Mith and Ancalimon in the hold.

Good idea for Daisy to look as if she meant to steal something other than just the duty roster(or how about pen,ink, and paper to take back to Gamba and Phura - the duty roster would just 'happen' to be in the stack of papers - or so she tells the guard who catches her!)

Yes - I think now that Sauron's men should not be osanwë connected to him, but he should have an 'awareness' however vague of how things are going which concern him.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:09 PM   #163
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I PMed Child about this but I thought I'd put it here too. About my earlier post when I said I'd be willing to die.

What I ment was that if we kill someone let it be me.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:12 PM   #164
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(Now?...OK...ahem..) I was discussing with Child and Pio the possiblity of Angara and Birdie covering the tracks of the Hobbit rescue by staging a "Dragon attack" on the prison. Burning and trashing the place so that Sauron and his minions would think that the Hobbit prison had been destroyed by "rogue dragons". Does this sound good to everyone?

Helen - D'oh! I never made the connection that Sauron was sacrificing Hobbits! I just thought everyone was dropping like flies because...well...it's a prison camp. You know, like a "Bridge Over the River Kwai" kind of thing.

All I can say is "Yuck!"
Old 09-22-2002, 12:25 PM   #165
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Yeah, I try not to think about it too much, but will you guys please HURRY UP AND RESCUE US BEFORE THEY GET US TOO?

please

Two weeks sounds like forever.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #166
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Khelek,

Repeat after me: Undying glory and immortality and a trip to Valhalla with the Valkyrie maidens.

Uh, whups, wrong mythos. And I guess you already HAD immortality. Geez, you sure are getting a bum deal out of this. I'd renegotiate. Let them bump off Rose instead. Or hey, how about Mith??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Then Angara could feel REALLY guilty. For a LONG time.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:54 PM   #167
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

It doesn't seem ethical to bump off Mithadan. After all, this whole adventure is his fault. And Angara would be guilty for the rest of his dragon life, which is... forever. Nope, too long. Besides, what about poor Pio? And if we do bump off Rose... that seems kind of wrong also. Then again, killing and taking any life is wrong.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:09 PM   #168
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Khelek just signed up as the Chaplain of the Lonely Star. His sword is now up for auction and he is looking for a helmet with a red cross, anybody seen one?
Old 09-22-2002, 01:13 PM   #169
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

mark12_30 - What? I did? Hey, I don't need a helmet with any red cross on it! And I'll be keeping my sword, thank you very much. I still want it for hacking down any baddies we come across.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #170
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ah, these fair-weather-pacifists.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:14 PM   #171
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

But think of all the angst if, just after plighting their troth, either Pio or Mithadan does die. It would be full of pathos and fit in with Tolkien's concept of the long defeat. It would be art rather than wish fulfilment.

Opps, sorry. This is not an audience participation story. Have you considered any marketing surveys like Hollywood does for its films? Then you could do the opposite of what the survey claims to ensure true integrity.

Helen, you and me second guessing the quarterbacks here. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] What says you to a drink at the Picnic late tonight? You and me 'n Birdie.

Bethberry
Old 09-22-2002, 03:14 PM   #172
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
And if we do bump off Rose... that seems kind of wrong also.
Not if she volinteers for it. *waves hand in the air more enthusiasticly*

Killing Mith would destroy the great love story we're building up. But Rose doesn't have a love life.

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 09-22-2002, 03:49 PM   #173
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Alright everybody. Let's stop thinking about having someone croak and consider Bird's dragon attack.

Now, it seems to me that there is a serious dilemma which I brought up in the earlier thread: Because our rescue is one week before the flood, Sauron is going to know that there has been a special rescue for the hobbits, and he will remember this in the 3rd age. That means Frodo Baggins is probably toast! Not good.

When we first discussed rescue, it was supposed to be just before the flood so that Sauron would never find out. But, for legitimate tactical reasons, the rescue had to be pushed back one week before the flood. So we have to do something to cover our tracks. I had first suggested flinging open some prison doors of men's cells to make it look like a general prison break rather than a rescue of hobbits, but I think Bird's idea is even better (or the two could even be combined).

The two dragons would be sent out after the hobbits were safely in the ships and would flame everything at the base of the mountain. In effect, they would be a mop-up job, destroying all evidence. Sauron would never imagine that two dragons would be doing something like this for the side of the good. Since dragons love death and destruction, we wouldn't even need any other motive than the fun which they get from mowing people down. If the people of Numenor remembered anything from the rescue itself, it would be the sight of the dragons in the air. That's the spectacular part--a few puny fights on the ground with guards would never spread rumors, but the huge winged wyrms sure would.

It sure would get rid of all the leftover guards too. (Barbecued guards!--Very tasty.) Since Sauron is already out looking for dragons because of his contact with Angara, I think he'd totally tie into the tale.

Also, I think this whole thing would actually happen just the way i did on this tread. Cami would see the "flaw" in the plan and go banging on Mith and Pio's door (notice I use the singular here!) to tell them we've got a big problem. Of course, she'd have no idea how to solve the problem an neither would Mithadan. Just like this thread, Bird would have been the one to come forward with this solution. That's the way we should set this up, I think.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:09 PM   #174
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Sounds great. But how about while the dragons are having fun something goes wrong in the plan to add some suspence.

Perhaps when they start attacking the guards put up a defence and knock one of them out of the sky.

Or the guards could intercept the hobbrim as thier escaping.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:20 PM   #175
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Too many cooks! LOL!

Sauron would not expect a ship to be able to capture a dragon; it would fly away or merely roast the vessel. He would instruct his men to seek some sign of the dragon and return and report to him. I suggest that he sends a vessel, with a crew of about 20. It sends a small skiff to sure to look for the dragon. The larger boat approaches the Star. Our landing party assaults the skiff and its small crew and, either guessing or overhearing a conversation, and seeing the larger vessel approach the Star, sets the skiff on fire. Seeing the fire, the larger vessel makes way towards the shore. When it nears the shore, Ancalimon sets off one of his patented dragon rockets and sends it off towards the East and Sauron's ship follows, eventually reposting to the Boss that the dragon was last seen heading East. A bit of misdirection buying us more time. When no sign of the dragon is found in the East, he eventually sends out more boats, giving us later opportunity for conflict.

We can work out the rest of the details at our leisure.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:39 PM   #176
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio is not dying again! This time she would be on a one way ticket to who knows where!

Helen - welcome to the world of the Star crew hashing out a story section - this used to be all done via email, so not everyone saw the flotsam and jetsam.

I will work with whatever plotline you put together - just keep it within the 'facts'-for-the-story I've created - when we are, where we are, what season it is, what day, etc. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Send Angara to us soon - she and Pio need a heart to heart, or hand to throat - whatever it comes to.

One last thing - I would prefer it if we kept any Valar interventions to a minimum or nothing and just concentrated on our outstanding ability to outsmart the foe. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-23-2002, 07:27 AM   #177
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio --

I'm going ahead today to set up the story of the small beached ship which the hobbits will take out. Will make sure to pm Rose and Birdie so they know about it.

Storm will not last more than one day.

Wise woman will comment that such weather is unusual for the season but will say nothing more than that.

I'll wait to see what you do in terms of the Star before we get the hobbrim out swimming in the water towards home.

Oh, yeah, we have 30 hobbrim.

Is this all ok?

I work this morning.

sharon
Old 09-23-2002, 10:05 AM   #178
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I PM'd Mith to see if this is when he was thinking of setting up the firework-dragon scene. Is it your landing party he is thinking will set fire to the skiff, to draw off the larger ship from the Star?

If so, you'ld better wait for his post before you proceed.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:19 AM   #179
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Yes, we should see the sail of the larger vessel soon. Pio can set this up as I don't wan too many successive posts. We don't have to see its landing craft depart. Cami, et al. can take care of the landing vessel's crew and, seeing the larger vessel approaching the Star, perhaps within hailing distance, they set the smaller craft on fire.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #180
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Child will be setting up the beached boat scene with Bird and Rose - let's not advance the story timewise, until those two can have a chance to work out their scene (Which will probably be much later this evening)

Then the Star can fire a 'dragon' eastward.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:25 AM   #181
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now just wait a cotten-pickin' minute there! How come I get yelled at when I show those Numenoreans a Dragon, but Ancalimon can show them some cheesy fake dragon and that's OK?

(Birdie glowers and morphs into a half woman/half dragon form. It's not pretty.)
Old 09-24-2002, 09:52 AM   #182
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Now, now. Angara is just in one of her moods. Can someone else take up the rescue? I do not have time to post.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:06 PM   #183
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I liked the fake dragon. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Much more exciting then shape-shifter dragons. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] *ducks in case Birdie decides to wack her*

LOL! I'm just kidding.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:10 PM   #184
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Per conversation with Cami/Sharon, I've been okayed to add a section or 2 about Kali's reunion with the hobbrim, near Cami's skiff and on the shore. Being a chatty hobbit sort I imagine he'll blurt out some bits and peices of his story, so I'm going back through to try and get a clue again. But please feel free to let me know what i get wrong, and I'll correct whatever errors y'all tell me about. I'll post again when the newedits go in.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:05 PM   #185
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

We were all so fixed on Angara and the big bad guy that we neglected to cover Kali's happy reunion. Helen has agreed to do that (Yeah) to correct our goof! sharon
Old 09-24-2002, 08:10 PM   #186
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Good point. Another point - hasn't Levanto been gone a long time?
Old 09-24-2002, 08:49 PM   #187
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Levanto was last seen slipping beneath the waves after agreeing to "step aside" in Mithadan's favor. He was not due at the caves until a week after that visit to the two elders when he obtained the guards' info & other tactical data.

I lose track of time--- especially in this story! Is a week up already? And where would he have gone during the storm, especially while disconsolate?

[ September 24, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-24-2002, 10:17 PM   #188
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Question

Hmmm... where do you go when you want some time alone? I'm still catching up (you do not know how much you all write in one day's time!) so expect me to post sometime tonight or tomorrow as soon as I get a hold on things.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:59 AM   #189
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

HELEN

As far as I can chart out - We are now seven days into our second age staging. It is difficult at times to sort out the 'and then evening fell' type of posts, but that is where I think we are.

Levanto returned from the cave-prison on the 5th day for us. So he has not been seen for 2 days. I do not see him as disconsolate or angry, more as resigned to the elf's choice, and trying to shift his understanding to how their relationship will now be. (Perhaps I could set him up with Bird! Both seem to be free at the moment. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 09-25-2002, 09:09 PM   #190
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

All, I will be on travel this Saturday (28) thru next Thursday. Posting is very iffy during that time. If there is a serious possibility that The Rescue could happen during that time, please somebody let me know as I've one key scene planned. I've also got another planned for The Choosing-- won't that be a couple of days after The Rescue? I can prewrite it if needed, although I'd rather do the more responsive thing.
--Helen
Old 09-26-2002, 05:05 AM   #191
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Pio & Cami-- re: Daisy, I've noticed a conflict-- Cami says taht Daisy beds down between two hobbrim girls and gets adopted into the clan quickly and happily. Pio says that she is lonely and misses Pio and wants her back in her cabin. This could stil work if there was some sort of segue between the two--as, she' happy with the hobbrim but begins to miss her old friends too and gets "homesick" for Pio after a while. But as it sits how it just looks like a contradiction.

Pat, the intrigue is intriguing. What's that sneaky Pio up to? Can't wait.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:29 AM   #192
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen--

I saw what Pio had written and changed my earlier post. Just took out the reference completely. sharon
Old 09-26-2002, 06:16 AM   #193
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Sharon,

Uh-Oh. I had followed your lead. And I've sent you the beach scene in a PM. Well, edit as you see fit... or return to sender and I'll see what I can do...

All- Kali's homecoming scene has been added (by Sharon, thanks!) to the initial Skiff-Rescue scene, and once (poor) Sharon figures out what to do with all the Daisy references, the beach scene will be up soon too. THey're both on pave five, and they're both REALLY long entries by now! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

--Helen
Old 09-26-2002, 06:33 AM   #194
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I will put Daisy back in with the same implication, but won't have her stay overnight. I suppose someone could miss their roomate, and still have good fun with a friend. In fact, the absence might even push two closer together?? sharon
Old 09-26-2002, 01:56 PM   #195
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Pio and Mith I was so happy for you untill I learned that you can't have children cause it violates a rule. You better take that out Pio or we won't have a story.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:58 PM   #196
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Option 2: backfit a simple ceremony. Reread the section on Elvish marriage in Morgoth's Ring.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:04 PM   #197
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Just a joke people. I put Elenna up to it. Please don't scream at her.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:05 PM   #198
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

This is a joke, right?
Old 09-26-2002, 02:15 PM   #199
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Alright. Mithadan has been properly sobered by the recent turn of events (notwithstanding his puppetmaster's odd sense of humor). Thy will be done, people.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:16 PM   #200
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Number one way to frighten Me:
Close the Role Play me and my friends have been piecing together for 4 months.