User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2003, 08:04 PM   #121
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lorien smiled at the Hobbit. "I'm sorry," he said. "I do not communicate well with words. I'm not really used to it I suppose. Maura. We're bringing him here...for a time...so that you can be together. So that the two of you may marry if you wish, though you cannot be together in your future or his..."

Each word dropped into the silence of the room like a stone into deep, still water. The ripples spread out battering against her senses, and she gasped as they met the sight of tears splashing down the cheeks of her friend.

‘He smiles as he says these words to her,’ she murmured to herself, that cold calmness, coming over her now, the precision of thought and action that always preceded the kill for her. ‘How like a Vala to do this. To offer sweet gifts with one hand and forbid the taking of them fully with the other. How did I hope that this might be any different.’

She knocked the cup of tea from his hands, reaching down swiftly to grasp the front of his robe in her hands, and hauled him up to face her. ‘You disgust me.’ she hissed, her grey eyes meeting his blue ones. Bird’s hand went out to grip her arm, as she sought to slip her dagger from beneath her sleeve. ‘I would gut you like a fish from stem to stern save that my friend has stayed my hand.’
He moved with her, like some unwilling partner in a grotesque dance, held upright in her grip - passing out the door to her room and across the floor of the Inn, through streaks of moonlight and deep shadow, to the front door.

‘Get out!’ she spat at him as she shoved him out the door, his inebriated body falling crazily against the post of the front porch, and sliding down it to sit clumsily on the steps.

Her eyes narrowed, watching him as he sat there, willing him to disappear . . .

Child's post:

The common room was empty and silent. The guests had long since departed, with platters of food and half-drunk flagons of ale still scattered over counters and tables. Prim and the servers had retired for the night. They had scrubbed out the remains of the pudding from the floor, but there was still an untidy mess that would need to be dealt with in the morning. Unable to sleep, Cami had left her bed and come down to gather up dirty dishes. At least it would keep her busy.

She worked haphazardly, tossing plates carelessly here and there, and throwing dirty cutlery onto the kitchen table. Her thoughts were deeply troubled, for she could see both promise and pain in the message that had been given her. Ever since leaving Beleriand, she had yearned for something like this to happen, for some unexpected bolt from the heavens to offer her even a faint measure of hope. It was only last night at the party that she’d finally breathed a plea to Elbereth for the Powers to listen and grant her mercy.

Was this the response to her heartfelt supplication? To bring herself and Maura together, only to be ripped apart in a few brief weeks. If so, she wasn’t sure how she felt about the message or its bearer. To Cami, Lorien looked and acted nothing like a Valar. Where was the wisdom and majestic compassion she’d seen reflected in Ulmo’s eyes? She could understand Pio's unreasoning anger when faced with his cold words that had sounded so removed and uncaring.

Her frend had come so close to sinking her dagger into Lorien's body. She had been restrained only by Bird's quick hand. And what if Bird had not been there? Cami had made a bargain in Beleriand, one that she knew could only be filled with heartache and sorrow. Yet never had she intended that her choice should fall onto her friends' heads, or place them in such a difficult position. Yet she sensed that this was happening, and felt powerless to stop it.

It was then that she heard sounds of moaning and tapping coming from the front steps of the Inn. Cami walked over to the window and gazed outside. He was still there, sitting on the ground and slumped back against the building. He stared up at her with glazed eyes that refused to focus, his lean body shivering against the jagged breeze and cold night air.

Cami drew back, wondering what to do. From the way he had treated her, she had no reason to thank or help him. A messenger who couldn't even stay sober enough to deliver the message with which he had been entrusted! One who watched her with cool eyes, while he spoke of meetings and separations of lovers, as if such things happened every day.

Yet, even so, Cami could not bring herself to let him sit there shivering on the steps. She went inside to the kitchen and supply closet and got a few things, then walked out onto the porch.

"Here, this is for you." Cami handed Lorien one of the blankets, a flask of hot drink, and some of the food, wrapped together in a packet. "There are four deserted burrows that stands on the far side of Bywater Pool. No one will bother you there. Not even Pio. There's fresh straw for sleeping as well."

"Why are you doing this?" he asked in a low, uneven voice.

"Because whoever you are, and for whatever reason you have come, you wear a body now that can feel cold and weariness. Go down to the shed and leave here before the Elf awakens and finds you. Whatever she does is only meant to protect me."

"And you, Cami. Do you bring me an answer?"

"Aye, for sure I have an answer. You might have said the very same thing to me that you did, but with a manner that was gentle and caring. It would have made a difference, at least to me. If you plan to stay in that body a while, I suggest you start thinking more about what you're doing to those around you. After you leave this place, we still have to live here and get along with each another. Don't destroy that."

Cami felt her voice crack as she turned to respond. "This is my life, and the life of the hobbit I love. I will not hurt him, even to assuage my own sense of loss. And you are past all talking now. Go and sleep. I will come to you tomorrow by the pool and learn more about this bargain that you have prepared for me."

Then she walked back in the Inn and quietly closed the door.

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-06-2003, 06:27 AM   #122
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo woke with a start, put a hand to his head, and then gathered his wits. Bilbo was stirring as well. Frodo rubbed his eyes and then laughed out loud.

"A three-headed troll!" he chuckled, and shuddered. "How awful. And you won't believe who the heads were."

Bilbo groaned. "Oh, yes, I would, " he muttered.

"Amaranthus, Birdland and Piosenniel, " Frodo shook his head again. "And I couldn't get away. I woke up when the troll sat on me. I'm jelly, Bilbo."

"You've got it wrong, " Bilbo said with mock-seriousness. "The three heads were Fatty, Cami and poor old Hob."

"What!" Frodo gasped.

"And I was on my way to being roasted. Not squashed, " Bilbo said firmly.

"I wonder if he's sober yet. I wonder..." Frodo reached out to Lorien in thought, and then jerked back as quickly. "My goodness, yes, that's the source." Frodo began again, this time more agressively, pushing Lorien's wild imaginings aside. If you haven't learned moderation yet, you'd better. You're being quite rude.

Bilbo's eyebrows went up. "Getting a little big for your breeches, Frodo my lad?"

"He can keep his hangover to himself, " Frodo shot back, and rolled out of bed.

A few doors over, Bird stirred in her sleep, and then woke up. "Ugh. A three-headed troll-- one head a mocking Bilbo, the next a jeering, leering Frodo-- and the third head, an angry Mithadan, raging and roaring. What a horrible troll to encounter." But she had to laugh. "Diced! " she said. "I wonder why it decided to dice and boil me. Ugh."

Undaunted, Bird yawned, and rolled over to try and catch another wink.

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #123
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan's cheeks grew hot as he bumped along in the back of the Shiriffs' pony cart. The ropes which bound his wrists were too tight and were cutting into his flesh. Those around his legs were looped over his boots and caused less discomfort. He ground his teeth upon the cloth gag which had been stuffed into his mouth and tried to ignore the circus which had developed around the cart.

The Shiriffs were strutting and boasting as if they had captured Sauron himself and Hobbits were running from their holes and houses as they passed to gawk or issue catcalls to the prisoner. A group of Hobbit lads and lasses had formed behind the cart and followed it down the road. A few bold youngsters had seized willow branches and amused themselves by racing up to the cart to strike Mithadan's boots with their makeshift switches. There were numerous cries of "ruffian" and "rascal" and not a few tossed rotten apples or rocks in his direction. One apple core had struck him square in the face with precise accuracy.

At last, the cart turned onto a narrow lane which led to a squat single story building with bars over its round windows. The Shiriffs none too gently hauled Mithadan from the cart and dragged him inside. There, they removed his gag and Halfred sat on a stool before him as his pack, belt and weapons were carried in. His horse was tied to a post outside and given an apple and water. However, no such courtesy was offered to the Man.

Mithadan sat sullenly before the Shiriff as the Hobbit drank a tall cup of water before turning and asking questions. "So ruffian, what do you want with The Shire? Up to no good I'll warrant."

"As I said," rasped Mithadan, his throat dry from the gag, "I am here on personal business with a letter of introduction and safe conduct from the King Elessar."

"Oh, I'm sure you are," sneered Halfred. "What kind of personal business?"

"I am here to see my wife..." began Mithadan before he was interrupted by laughter. "Your wife?" laughed one of the deputies. "Who is it? Daisy Sandybanks? Pearl Took? Or perhaps both seeing as you're twice their size." The deputy's jibe was greeted with uproarious laughter.

Mithadan's face darkened and his eyes narrowed. "My wife," he shouted, "is Piosenniel and she is working presently at The Green Dragon Inn." The deputy nearly fell to the floor with laughter and Halfred almost choked. "Your wife's an Elf?" cried the Shiriff incredulously. "A regular Beren you are, then. Perhaps I should send for Luthien!"

"The letter of introduction is in my pack," growled Mithadan through gritted teeth. "Perhaps that will clear up this...misunderstanding. I am Mithadan, son of Galasmir, who was Lord of Lond Lefnui..."

"Lefnui?" said the deputy. "Gazundheit!" The Shiriff roared with laughter again. "All right," said Halfred as the laughter died. "Let's see your pack."

The Shiriff began emptying Mithadan's rucksack on a table. The first items to catch his eye were two pouches, one bigger than the other. He opened the smaller pouch and gasped as gold coins spilled out. "What's this?" he cried. "The proceeds of a career of crime no doubt!" Mithadan responded quietly with an edge to his voice. "There are twenty coins in that sack and forty in the other and I shall hold you accountable for each and every one. The King's letter is in that envelope."

Halfred drew the envelope from the pack and turned white when he saw the seal on its flap. The seal was unbroken. He drew his knife and cracked the seal neatly. Then he pulled out the letter. His jaw dropped as he began to read it. "Send for the Mayor," he cried. "And get a messenger over to The Green Dragon!" The Shiriff turned to look at Mithadan who met his gaze calmly with one eye. The second had swollen shut from the apple which had struck it.

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 03-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #124
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Child's post:

When the serving maid went in that morning to fluff up the bedclothes, she did not notice the small piece of paper tacked up to the door. After she finished straightening the room, she left in a rush, her arms piled high with dirty linens, slamming the door behind her. The maid did not look back to see the small sheet rip loose from the nail and flutter to the ground, coming to rest in a pile of dust which she'd neglected to sweep that morning.

Dear Frodo,

I am sorry to burden you with my problems again. I am sitting here in the common room unable to sleep, and I thought you might help me think through some of this.

Last night, Lorien told us about his plan to bring Maura to the Inn. Please say thanks to Bilbo for everything he did. I know he tried his best. Do not let him know that things are not going very well, as I fear it would grieve him.

Sadly, Lorien has so blundered things that it may not be possible to set them right. When he told me the news, his words sounded so cold and uncaring that Pio became very angry and, in her desire to protect me, came close to lifting her dagger against him. Even I felt as if he'd placed me at the edge of a cliff, and did not really care whether I stood or fell.

I wish Gandalf had been sent in his place, or that Lorien had shown enough sense to draw me aside, instead of burdening my friends. Frodo, I freely promised my love to Maura, and I am bound to honor that pledge, even when it leads to sadness. A few moments in time with him sound unbearably precious to me. I have nothing now, so why should I refuse the little that is being offered? But to Pio, who had wished for something better for me, to say nothing of her desire to protect her own family, this temporary arrangement seems nothing but a cruel jest.

I do not like it when my choices fall on the heads of my friends. Pio was hurt and I am sure Bird was not happy either. I have told Lorien that I will speak with him tomorrow, after he is sober. Then I must think on the words he says. I love Maura very much, but this arangement will not be easy, and others will find it hard to understand.

I have sometimes thought that Lorien should send Maura to my side, but that the two of us should leave the Inn and remain apart from our friends, exchanging our vows with only the songbirds as witnesses. I do not know. I seem to carry disaster in my wake. Pio came within a hair's breadth of thrusting her dagger into the Vala. I do not want my own burdens to fall on my friends.

I plan to check on Lorien tomorrow. If he follows my advice, he will be staying in one of the deserted burrows on the far side of Bywater Pool.

Forgive me for saying this, but I can not imagine living in the West, if all the folk you rub shoulders with are like this fellow Lorien. Perhaps there are some who are nicer.

And do not neglect to go pay a visit to Samwise Gamgee for I saw him looking at you last night with great sadness in his eyes.

Your friend,

Cami

Mark 12_30's post

Frodo and Bilbo finished Second Breakfast, pushing their plates away with contented sighs. There was a peaceful silence for a few moments, and they saw the maid scurry through the hallway bearing a great burden of linens. Frodo considered the sheet trailing in her wake, and smiled softly.

"I had planned on a walk, Bilbo," he said.

"Of course you had, " Bilbo replied, "and don't think I've forgotten. Off you go. I could use a peaceful morning after all the chaos of the evening prior."

"I wish you could come..." Frodo sighed.

"I'm old, " Bilbo cut him off. "You go tramping. Cover some ground. And find someone to tramp with; you can walk alone at Tol Eressea all you want."

There was a silence. The sentence carried more foreboding than Bilbo had meant it to. Frodo studied Bilbo, who looked away awkwardly, and eventually Frodo spoke. "Bilbo, I've learned that I'm at home wherever you are. And yet I can tell you're preparing to leave, and then what home will I have? Uncle, you'll break my heart all over again."

"Nonsense, my boy. You'll be all right, " Bilbo replied brusquely.

Frodo's response held bitterness. "Well, with half of elvendom watching over me, I'm sure I'll be warm, well fed and well educated. And once again, I will desperately miss you, and long more than anything else to be off on your trail."

"You'll join me eventually, " Bilbo said, eyes glinting. "Don't be in any rush. Right now, you've got a walk to go on. And I'll not have you moping about in the West because you failed to go tramping in The Shire when you had the chance. Off with you now. Go on."

Frodo did not stir, but fought against disapointment, fear, sadness and loneliness, and a strong sense of denial.

"Now, Lad. You'll be all right. Don't carry on so."

Frodo's eyes blazed and his quiet voice took on an indignant edge. "I'll carry on as much as I wish to, Uncle. If you're going to abandon me you can deal with my disappointment and sorrow. And so can anyone else for that matter."

Bilbo laughed out loud. "I'm not gone yet, for pity's sake. And if you keep this up, in sheer embarassment I'll depart this world sooner rather than later! Off with you."

Exhasperated, sad, and trying to hide it, Frodo pointed his forefinger accusingly at Bilbo. Bilbo caught the hand and soundly slapped Frodo's back. "The Shire is waiting. Go on, now."

Frodo sighed, stood and kissed his uncle's forehead, and then straightened, and headed back to the room to get an extra shirt. As he came back out the door, he saw a paper on the floor; it was addressed to him. He snatched it up and pocketed it, planning to read it in the sun. He stopped by the dining room on his way out, and gazed at Bilbo.

Bilbo felt his eyes on him, and turned and gave him an impish smile, and waved him on. Frodo left reluctantly. But once he was on the grass beside the road, he took a deep breath, and turning towards The Hill, settled into a strong, steady pace.

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

Old 03-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #125
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

There had been no sleep for Piosenniel that night. Cami and Bird could get no response from her since Lorien had been so ungraciously ousted from her rooms, and they had given up trying to draw her into their conversation, at long last, leaving her to her own thoughts. She sat then in darkness, her face impassive as she considered her options. Starlight and moonlight glinted coldly in the grey of her eyes, and even the first bright rays of morning could prompt no warmth within them as she gazed out her window to the empty road beyond.

She cared little that Cami had shown kindness to the Vala. She could afford it, she supposed. The Hobbit’s capacity for that trait often astounded her, but today she put even that aside, knowing that Cami would choose for herself what she could endure. And for that, Pio was grateful. With or without her, Cami would move forward in the path laid out by her choosing.

Amaranthas stirred in the little bedroom. Pio could hear her moving about, the rustle of her dress as she pulled it on, the soft slap, slap of her feet on the wood floor. The door opened slightly, and the bright black eyes of the old Hobbit peered out at her. ‘I heard voices last night, angry sounds, some of them. Uneasy dreams crept over me and I could not wake. They were frightening.’ She looked at the Elf’s pallid face. ‘Did you dream such, too?’

‘I did not sleep, Amaranthas. I did not dream.’ But my children dreamed, in their baby ways - they were frightened. And I will not have it so again. This place is too unsettling, now. Disquieted. Achingly sad. Troubled. Her arms moved protectively over her belly, cradling her little ones. I will have no more to do with the Vala.

‘Let me get dressed,’ she said, bringing her thoughts back to the Hobbit, ‘then I will take you home.’

She shooed Amaranthas out toward the kitchen to find some breakfast, then pulled on her clothes hurriedly. A pair of black leggings that still would stretch to cover her girth, a long, loose dark grey shirt, her soft leather boots. She drew her blue cloak about her though the day promised to be warm. It would be another barrier between herself and the world without.

Pio slipped out the door from her bedroom, quietly crossing the length of yard to the stable. ‘Falmar nickered softly at her approach, and dipped her head in greeting. Quickly saddled, her braided leather noseband in place, she stood patiently while Pio clambered up the side of the stall to mount her.

‘You’re not taking me home on that great beast, are you?’ Amaranthas eyed the horse with some distrust. ‘I am.’ returned Pio in a firm voice. ‘Ruby, boost her up here. She can cling on behind me.’ Pio reached down with a hand and helped draw the Hobbit upward. They made off from the Inn at a fast pace, Amaranthas clinging tightly to the Elf’s shirt. And soon they were at the front door to the Hobbit’s house.

‘Come in and rest for a while,’ the Old Hobbit offered, her surprisingly strong, thin hand grasping Pio’s, leading her into the coolness of the parlour from the midday sun. ‘You don’t have to talk with me. I have plenty of tasks here to get done, without having to entertain you.’ She glanced up at the impassive face of the Elf. ‘I think we’re beyond having to do that for each other by now. Just sit and sort things out for yourself.’

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #126
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Hob hauled the water buckets out from the kitchen, filled with steaming water and a generous measure of white vinegar to take away the stains of last night’s pudding fling. Ruby leaned on her mop, and stared at Prim. ‘I’m thinking we should have held out for a larger sum, Mistress Prim. What do you think?’

‘I’m thinking it will take a lot of elbow grease to get this back to normal.’ Primrose Bolger stood, hands on hips, surveying the stains that had worked their way into the wooden floor. ‘Right, then. Let’s get to it.’ She grabbed up her hard bristled scrub brush and directed Hob to pour a generous bit of water on the floor. ‘Ruby, you get that spread around in a big circle, then everybody grab a brush and kneel down and we’ll see what we can do.’ It was a large area that they had to go over - it took a number of buckets of water and many minutes of hard scrubbing and rinsing to bring back the plain, clean grain of the floor.

‘Good work, you two!’ Prim rubbed the small of her back as she stood up from the final scrubbing, and sighed wearily. ‘Let’s go into the kitchen for elevenses. Cook’s made some tarts we can try out. And I could use a large cup of strong tea.’

Buckets, mop, and brushes were put away, and the windows to the Inn left open for the floor to dry faster. The three Hobbits gathered round the old wood table in the kitchen and were soon laying into the generous plate of tarts and scones that Cook had made for them, washing them down with several cups each of bracing tea. Cook, too, had taken a break in her preparations for lunch and sat like a queen in her parlour, sipping at a cup of tea with a dollop of honey and cream in it, feet up on a wooden crate, and listening closely as Ruby filled her in on the antics that had taken place in the Common Room last night. Both Cook and Hob asked her to repeat the story of the arrival of Mistress Piosenniel’s “interesting” friend, and would not have believed her had not Prim said she had seen it, too, with her own eyes.

A sudden, insistent knock at the kitchen door, and the sound of a loud voice demanding to be let in, put a halt to their conversation, and Hob got up to see who was making such noise. He unlatched the door, and had barely moved out of the way, when it flew open with bang and a rather untidy, red faced Hobbit burst in, panting and wheezing out a string of unintelligible words.

‘Sit down and get your wits about you, Filibert. We can’t understand a thing you’re saying.’ Cook shoved a cool glass of water into the gasping Hobbit’s hands as Hob pushed him firmly into a chair. The four of them hovered about the seated figure with increasing curiosity. What would cause Flilibert Whitfoot, a rather sedentary and ample Hobbit, to hasten from the Shiriff’s office, at a dead run, apparently, and end up here in the Green Dragon’s kitchen?

He took a large gulp of water and sat up straight, looking frantically round the kitchen. ‘Is she here?’ he asked. Four perplexed faces stared back at him. ‘Who?!’ prompted Prim, her patience growing thin.

‘Mistress Piosenniel.’ came the quick reply. ‘She’s wanted at the Shiriff’s, on a matter of some importance concerning one of the Big Folk who's been arrested.’

Prim turned pale, wondering what this was all about. Try as they might, though, they could get no further information from the Shiriff’s younger brother.

Amaranthas was just giving the thirsty flowers in the front planter box a watering, when she spied a small cloud of dust moving along the road leading to her house. ‘Miz Pio, she called through the open window into the parlour, ‘come out here and see what this is all about.’ Pio hoisted herself up from the overstuffed chair where she rested, and hurried out to the front steps. Shading her eyes against the noon time sun, she looked closely at the distant horse and rider heading toward the lane to this house at a run. A frown creased her face, and she chewed her bottom lip, not believing what she saw.

‘It is one of the horses from the Inn's stable who flies so quickly down the road, and Hob rides her.’

They stood on the porch waiting for the horse and rider. Amaranthas had put down her watering can, leaving the flowers to fend for themselves in the hot sun. Her hand was on the Elf’s arm, anxious to know why Hob had come in such haste.

The clatter of the horse's hooves could now be heard pounding down the short lane from the main road. And soon the mare stood at the very edge of the porch, her sides heaving from exertion, nostrils flaring. Hob slid from her back and ran panting up to Pio. ‘Prim sent me,’ he gasped. ‘You must come quickly. There is a Man, one of the Big Folk, being held at the Lock-holes by the Shiriff, Halfred Whitfoot, and you are needed.’

‘One of the Big Folk?’ demanded Amaranthas. ‘Can’t you be any plainer than that?! Who is it? Speak up, lad!’ Pio’s face had gone pale at Hob’s words.

‘Mithadan!’

‘Falmar had been grazing on the greensward in front of Amaranthas house. Pricking up her ears, eyes wide, she noted with interest the apporach of the other mare. Pio called to her to come closer and whispered a few words in her ear. The horse nodded her head and stepped sideways to the porch, so that the Elf might mount her more easily. You will have to ride with me, Hob. I do not know where the Shiriff is. Ride 'Falmar with me - your mount is too slow.’ She reached down a hand and pulled him quickly up behind her.

‘Falmar was eager to be off, sensing the growing tension in the Elf. Pio reined her in as Amaranthas spoke. ‘Sam lives just across the road. He’s the Mayor of the Shire. See what he can do for you.’ She waved them off, then, and they flew to Bag End, stopping there briefly before hastening once again down the road to Bywater.

The horse was well lathered by the time they reached the Lock-holes just northeast of Bywater. ‘Wipe her down, as best you can, Hob,’ she directed the Hobbit as she helped him from ‘Falmar’s back.

Her clothes were wrinkled from the ride and from Hob's desperate grip on her; her face pale beneath the dust from the road. But she gave no thought to either as she strode quickly into the Shiriff’s office, her grey eyes glinting in the dim light.

A Hobbit sat at the desk she approached, looking at some document. A second Hobbit stood behind him, bent over, also peering closely at the same piece of paper. She came upon them quietly. Startled, they stood, gaping at her sudden presence. ‘Which of you is Halfred Whitfoot?’ she asked in a low, clear voice. The seated Hobbit rose, clearing his throat, and made to speak to her. She cut him off as she thrust the letter she had received from Sam into his gesturing hands.

He broke the wax seal, noting the imprint of Mayor Gamgee’s stamp on it, and read the message carefully:

“My dear Halfred Whitfoot, Shiriff of the Shire, West Farthing

Greetings, my friend! I write you this letter for two purposes. First, to commend you for your loyal and faithful upkeeping of the King Elessar's ban on Men entering the Shire; and second, to ask you to break this same ban.

A certain Mithadan is now in your custody in the Locks, for entering the Shire, which is forbidden to those of his race by King Elessar. You did right and well, according to your duties, to take him into your custody and detain him. However, this man is an exception to the rule. I am sure that you are familiar with Piosenniel, the Innkeeper at the Green Dragon. Mithadan is her husband, who was long traveling, most recently from Gondor, and has now come to the Shire for several reasons, one of which is to be present for the birth of their twins. In order that he may be able to be with his beloved at this blessed event, I beg you to release him to Piosenniel's custody.

Once again I praise you for your faithfulness, but I ask you to release Mithadan. I will vouch for him, and if any ill comes of his release, the consequences will fall onto my shoulders.

Sincerely,

Samwise Gamgee, Mayor of the Shire”

Halfred lowered the paper, and peered over the top of it at Pio.

‘I have come for my husband, good Sir,’ she said carefully. ‘For Mithadan. Bring me to him.’

Sam's letter courtesy of Orual

Old 03-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #127
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami sat up in bed and stretched, craning her neck forward so she could peer out the window. Her head was throbbing, and she'd overslept, not too surprising in view of what had happened last night. The sun already stood high in the sky. Half her day must already be gone.

She dressed quickly and slipped out, intending to go down to the kitchen to find something to eat. Before she'd gotten very far, three different folk had run up to her, with garbled stories of how a messenger had come into the Inn just that morning with the dreadful news that Piosenniel's husband had been detained by the Shirriff.

Cami went off at once, madly searching for Bird, to see if she could learn something more. But, before she could make much progress, Prim had pulled her aside, explaining how Hob had ridden hard to the burrow of Amaranthas to convey a message to Pio, since the Elf had been spending her morning there.

"Perhaps, I'd best go too, and try to help." Cami was about to head out the door and go sprinting off in the direction of the Lock-holes, when Prim put a hand on her shoulder to restrain her. "They'll be fine, Miss Cami. And, to be truthful, you've been gone from here a heap o' time. The Shirriffs aren't even likely to know who you are. What Mistress Pio needs is a good word from someone like Mayor Samwise, and I'm sure they're smart enough to get that."

Cami winced at Prim's words, but quickly recognized the truth in them. If she could do nothing to help, she'd best concentrate on those things of her own that needed doing. She went down to the kitchen, and grabbed a cloth sack, stuffing several items of leftover food inside. Then she went back into the supply closet and, after much searching, took out two small bottles containing a vicious-looking black liquid. According to the Proudfoots, long known for their prowess in matters of drinking. this was a closely guarded family recipe that was said to be the best in the Shire for helping a hobbit quickly get over a hangover.

She slung the bag over her shoulder and went running out the door, heading in the direction of Bywater Pool.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #128
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Frodo slowed as he walked the last hundred feet to the door of his old home. He half expected to see Sam out and about in the garden, and then he laughed; there was Frodo-Lad, weeding a small patch, and near him was Merry-Lad.

They did not look up, and he approached as softly as a hobbit can, and went straight to the door, and knocked, wondering who would answer.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #129
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan lay on a cot in a cell in the Lockholes, wondering at the ignominious end to which his journey appeared to have come. "Well," he thought, "if they ever let me out, I could always take that Stoat character up on his offer..." His eye remained shut and his wrists ached from his bonds, though the Shirriff had at least released his legs from the makeshift shackles. There came a knock on the cell door, then a key turned in the lock. Halfred entered with a somewhat chastened look on his face.

"Get up...please...Mithadan," he said as if struggling to speak the words. Mithadan wriggled himself to a sitting position and rose, only to be rewarded by a solid wallop on the head from the low ceiling. His knees wavered and he nearly collapsed back down onto the cot. Then he steadied himself and stood hunched before Halfred. "Yes, Master Shirriff?" he asked. In answer, Halfred stepped forward, drew a knife and cut the ropes which had bound his wrists. "Come with me...please," said the Shirriff.

Rubbing his wrists and hands, Mithadan followed the Hobbit from the cell. In the guardroom outside, he was able to straighten to his full height. Halfred spoke to one of his deputies before leading Mithadan out to the office. "Gather his things, all of them, and return them to him." Mithadan's eyebrows arched. "Are you escorting me to the border, then?" he asked. The Shirriff looked back darkly at the Man. "No." It was clear that he wished the answer were otherwise.

As Mithadan entered the office, he saw a tall dark-haired figure wrapped in a blue cloak. "Pio!" He rushed forward and took her in his arms, in the process butting his stomach against her belly. He looked down with a smile, then turned slightly to the side before bringing his lips to hers...
Old 03-07-2003, 02:29 PM   #130
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She relaxed into his embrace, feeling safe for the moment. Long put away feelings rolled over her as his kiss deepened. . . . fresh . . . clean . . . soft, sibilant fingers of foam rushing up over sand . . . In a moment, she pulled back, her grey eyes meeting his. She smiled, placing his hand on her belly.

Welcome home, beloved.

Pio stepped back, holding him at arms’ length. Her brow furrowed, seeing the wreck of his face and the state of his clothes. ‘You look awful. What have they done to you?’ Her eyes slid coldly to the two Hobbits standing a short distance away . . .

Old 03-07-2003, 02:42 PM   #131
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orual's Post

Pippin took off at a run the moment he heard the knock on the door--before, actually, as he had noticed footsteps approaching Bag End before their visitor even connected fist with wood. " 'Scuse me!" he shouted to Goldilocks as he flew past her, almost knocking her over. "Sorry!" he called over his shoulder. He would've stopped to see if she was all right, but she probably was, and anyway he had to tell his father as soon as possible that there was a visitor at the door. What if it was somebody important? His dad would have to know.

He hit full speed as soon as the second knock came, and tore into his father's study. "Dad! Dad! Somebody's here!"

Sam was already standing up and on his way to the door when his son came shouting in. He grinned at Pippin's proclamation. "Thank you, Pippin. Who is it?"

Pippin frowned. "Well, I don't know, Dad. But they're knocking pretty hard."

Sam laughed and clapped his son on the shoulder. "I'll go see. Thank you for telling me." He started for the door, and Pippin jumped like a rabbit out of the door to make sure that Goldilocks wasn't crying or anything--because then he'd be in trouble. She wasn't, but she was mightily indignant. Sam picked her up as he went to answer the door.

"Good morning!" he said as he opened it, and tried to mask his surprise when he saw Frodo. "Mr. Frodo! What a wonderful surprise!" Behind him, Sam could hear the mystery visitor's identity being carried down the Gamgee family grapevine, up Pippin to Rosie-lass all the way to Elanor and Miz Rose.

"Good morning, Sam," said Frodo. "How are you this morning?"

"Doing fine, though we had a bit of cleaning up to do last night." Sam and Frodo both looked at the children, and Goldilocks' ashen-brown hair, matted in one or two small places with pudding. Sam broke into a grin, and Frodo smiled as well. "Still have some to finish, apparently," Sam laughed.

"Apparently," Frodo agreed. There was a slight pause, and then Frodo spoke up again. "I was thinking that I could bring the children out for a walk, if you didn't have other plans."

Sam didn't answer for a moment, waiting for Frodo to say something along the lines of if you and Rose would like to join us, that would be great. But no such invitation came.

"Oh. Oh, yes, that would be fine," Sam said haltingly, twisting one of Goldi's curls around his finger. "I don't think we have any plans for today, do we, Rose?"

Rose had just come out with Hamfast, who was quite a mess after breakfast. "Hello, Frodo, lovely to see you this morning. No, we don't have any plans, and the children would love to go on a walk with you. I'll go get them ready."

Frodo thanked her, and Rose left. Sam and Frodo stood there for a little while. A minute or so had passed in uncomfortable silence when Sam finally broke it, his voice decided and firm.

"Well, Mr. Frodo, we haven't really gotten a chance to talk yet since you came...not really talk, if you see what I mean. So if you don't have any other plans, how would you feel about staying for a while after you bring the children back?"

There, he'd done it--Rose would be proud if she'd been there to hear it. Now that he'd said it, all he could do was wait until Frodo replied.

mark12_30's Post

Frodo looked at Sam, and hesitated. "If you're sure, Sam. I don't want to impose..."

Sam snorted. "I'm asking; you're not imposing. For heaven's sake, Mr. Frodo." His eyes held a plea.

"Sam... " Frodo softened, and hope sprang up within him, and he smiled. "Yes, Sam, thank you."

Pippin-lad suddenly appeared beside Sam. "I can go too, can't I, dad? "

Frodo laughed, and knelt on one knee, holding his arms out. The four-year-old boy launched himself out the door and into Frodo's waiting arms.

"I can't imagine you'll go far, " Sam began.

"Well, if Uncle Frodo is too slow, then Pippin-Lad can carry me pig-a-back, " Frodo said very seriously. Pippin squealed with laughter.

"Go round to your brothers and sisters, now, Pippin-Lad, and ask them if they would like to come. Hurry." Frodo smiled as Pippin bolted towards the garden, shouting orders at Frodo-Lad and Merry-Lad, and then in the backdoor calling for Elanor and Rose.

"You're sure about this, " Sam said, shaking his head.

"Yes. The two of you enjoy a little peace and quiet, " Frodo said. "I'll be trouble enough when I return."

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 03-07-2003, 03:33 PM   #132
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Taking note of the Elf's venomous glare, Halfred stepped forward hurriedly. "Begging your pardon ma'am," he said. "But he's pretty much as we found him save for the eye which was not our doing. Some lad tossed an apple at him as we drove him here on a cart."

Piosenniel looked at Mithadan for confirmation. He scowled a bit at the Shirriff, but said, "While I would not have complained if my treatment was a bit more courteous and gentle, what the Shirriff says is true."

As he spoke, the formerly comedic deputy entered carrying Mithadan's pack and belt, along with his weapons. He stared openly at Piosenniel as he handed them over. Mithadan hurriedly checked the contents then glanced down at the awe-struck deputy. "If this is either Daisy Sandybanks or Pearl Took, then I am Beren," he said with a toothy smile. The deputy laughed weakly, then bowed to Piosenniel as the two exited the Lockholes.

Outside, Mithadan held her close and leaned his head against hers. "I've missed you, my love," he said softly. "And you two also," he added with a laugh as a kick rippled through Piosenniel's belly. The Elf's eyes sparkled, then she smiled impishly.

"So the great warrior was undone by some Halflings and an apple then?" she teased. Mithadan laughed. "My tale is a bit longer than that, but I think that you recall just how formidable these Halflings can be."

Then his mouth dropped open as he saw Piosenniel's steed. "You rode over on that?" he asked. She smirked at his comment. "We Elves are a bit more...durable that women of your kind during pregnancy," she said. She took the reins from Hob and intoduced the Hobbit to Mithadan. Then she suggested that Hob might be more comfortable riding with the Man...
Old 03-07-2003, 04:16 PM   #133
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Begging your pardon, Mistress Piosenniel.’

Hob stood near Pio, tugging lightly on her cloak, as Mithadan busied himself stowing his gear back on his steed. Hob turned red as a beet, his voice dropping to the merest of whispers. Pio bent down close to him, and he spoke low and apologetically in her ear. His back was to the man, who did not see the myriad gestures the poor Hobbit was making in defense of his plea.

Pio’s eyes glanced over the Hob’s shoulder, at Mithadan, as he spoke, and an impish grin grew on her face as he ticked off his points. When he had finished, his hands raised palms upward as if leaving it to her to make the decision, she laughed loudly and giving him a wink, clapped him in assurance on the shoulder.

Mithadan hearing her laugh, raised his eyebrows at her. She stood and came near him, bending her face in close to his. He grinned, thinking to steal another kiss. But she drew a deep breath, and stepped back laughing, her arm on his chest, allowing him to come no closer.

‘Have mercy! You are right,’ she said, turning to address Hob who now stood mortified by ‘Falmar. Pio returned to her horse and taking the reins, mounted him, reaching down a hand to pull Hob up behind her.

‘Mount up, Mithadan.’ she called to her scruffy companion. ‘We need to get you to the Inn and into a nice long bath to rid you of your ripe, road stench.’ She kicked her heels lightly into ‘Falmar’s sides, leading the way to the main road . . .

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-07-2003, 05:20 PM   #134
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Rosie and Elanor had been listening intently to find out why Mr. Frodo had come. They were overjoyed when Pippin rushed up to them saying that they would be going on a walk with Frodo. Rosie couldn't wait. She was sure it would be a wonderful adventure.

As fast as her little hobbit legs could carry her Rosie sprinted to the door eager to get started. Soon she was joined by her siblings Elanor, Frodo, Merry, and Pippin. Goldi, who was still in Sam's arms also wanted to go. However, Sam objected to this and promising she would go next time directed the young hobbit to her room. As soon as Mr. Frodo and Sam had exchanged farewells and Mr. Frodo started heading away from Bag End the Gamgee children bolted out after him ready for an exciting walk.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 03-08-2003, 05:09 AM   #135
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Ruby recognized the look on Prim’s face, and groaned inwardly. She was hoping that the cleaning they had done after the party would be sufficient for the day. Her knees hurt from scrubbing the floor with the brush, and she relished the thought of just sitting in the kitchen, her feet propped on a chair, watching Cook and Buttercup chop vegetables and stir the pot of stew on the stove.

But Prim had that gleam in her eyes that signified a major cleaning project was being sorted out and organized in her head. ‘Ruby,’ she began, and Ruby wondered if she might just close her eyes and pretend she had gone to sleep. But Prim touched her on the shoulder and motioned her out of the chair. There was no avoiding it.

‘Ruby, they’ll be home in a little while, and if I know Miz Pio, the place is a mess. A homey jumble of all sorts of interesting things, I’m sure, but a mess nonetheless. Come on, lass. We’re going to get it cleaned up before she brings Mister Mithadan home.’ Prim approached Cook and spoke quietly to her. She looked at Buttercup, and Cook nodded her assent. ‘You, too, then, Buttercup. Come along. We’ll need another pair of hands if we’re to get this done quickly.’

The two younger Hobbits gasped in unison when Prim opened the door to Pio’s rooms and ushered them in with their rags and mops and buckets and brooms. It looked like the annual Shire Jumble Sale. There were piles of books all bearing numerous markers stuck in their pages, and maps and charts tacked here and there. Pen and ink drawings done by her were plastered haphazardly on the walls, while the pens and bottles of ink she had used to do them stood here and there where she had put them down in her haste as some other project called for her attention.

The couch and one chair were catch-alls for odd and assorted pieces of clothing, and the chair held the small box of rocks and other treasures she had hauled out last night to share with the children. A solitary rocking chair, had been pulled near the window, and seemed an island of orderliness in this sea of flotsam and jetsam, as it bore only a single opened book of poems upon its seat.

‘Oh my!’ squeaked the wide-eyed Buttercup as they opened the door to Pio’s bedroom. ‘Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse.’ Ruby shook her head as she craned her neck to peek in over Buttercup’s shoulder. ‘And here I always thought the Fair Folk were neat and tidy.’

‘Right, then!’ Prim squared her shoulders like a captain marshaling her troops. ‘Ruby, you take the bedroom. Get the fresh sheets from the linen cupboard and make sure the dust bunnies are chased from under the bed. Buttercup, you’re with me. Get those bookshelves emptied and dusted and I’ll start organizing and putting away. Hop to it, Hobbits! We’ve got our work cut out for us, and time grows short.’

The three women threw themselves into it with a vengeance. Little whirlwinds of energy, they sorted and dusted and cleaned and polished, until the place gleamed like a little gem. Prim, Ruby, and Buttercup leaned on their mops and brooms and smiled in a satisfied manner. The rooms now passed their muster - well-ordered and inviting, smelling of lemon oil and beeswax and lavender.

The final touch was several small vases of flower bouquets. Sweet smelling daphne peeked out from windflowers, daisies, poppies, and anemones in the main room. And fat, purple sprays of lilacs filled a large pottery vase on the chest in the bedroom.

‘Done!’ said Prim, once the last vase of flowers had been placed. ‘Let’s clear out the cleaning supplies.’ She took one last look round the place, nodding her head ‘yes’ to what she saw.

Once back in the kitchen, sipping on mugs of well-earned ale, the three fell to talking about the upcoming birth of Miz Pio’s twins. ‘According to her, the babies are to be born on Midyear’s Day.’ pronounced Buttercup, who had overheard Amaranthas talking to Cook. ‘That’s only a month and nine days away!’ said Ruby. She looked at the other two, and leaned in toward them conspiratorially. ‘I don’t remember seeing any baby things lying about, do you?’ Buttercup shook her head ‘no’. ‘And where is she going to let the little ones sleep? Did you see any cradles in that spare bedroom when you peeked in there, Prim?’

Ruby looked up at the silent Prim, and blanched. She had that look on her face again. ‘Ladies! I believe we have our next project.’

Old 03-08-2003, 05:16 AM   #136
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘If nothing else,’ thought Amaranthas, ‘those Bywaters are good for getting the latest gossip.’

Here it was, not even mid-afternoon, and Lily Bywater had come knocking at her door, wanting to know if she’d heard the news about that Elf friend of hers. Amaranthas invited her in, and sat her down at the kitchen table. A plate of crisp nut cookies and a cup of strong tea, and the Hobbit’s tongue was loosed. Amaranthas listened closely to the description, sorting out fact from the fiction as Lilly prattled on.

A shabby rogue he was, and a bruiser from the looks of him, was Lily’s thirdhand decription – what with one eye swollen shut from a fight with the Shiriffs. Took six of them to take him down and bring him in, don’t you know. Big man, too, must be seven feet tall if he’s an inch. And free with his hands and kisses. Why he grabbed that Elf, the minute he was set loose, as if she were the prize goose and he was hauling her home for dinner. Amaranthas chortled at this description of Piosenniel, wondering what she would think of it.

She tuned out the rest of Lily’s news which had turned to talk of her thieving cousins and their latest exploits, and poured the chattering woman another cup of tea as she thought about what she had learned. Miz Pio had been right. It was Mithadan who had been detained by the Shiriff, and he sounded as if he was pretty beaten up by the trip to the Shire. From comments Pio had dropped during their conversations, she was fairly certain he was not the sort of man to go looking for a fight, nor was he one to defy authority. Must be tall, too. Pio was tall and from what Lily had described he had had no trouble taking her in his arms. The fact that he had kissed her straight off warranted several plus points in her book. Miz Pio deserved someone who was bold enough to show her affection in public.

‘To be quite honest,’ Amaranthas thought to herself, ‘I’m just happy to know he really exists.’ She had often wondered what sort of husband would let his wife be away from him for so long, and especially one bearing his babies. She had even gone so far as to doubt that he really existed at all, but rather, was just a convenient fiction for the Elf.

Lily’s talk had now wandered off into talk of the new additions to the prolific Bywater clan. Her sister Violet, it seemed, had just had twins, and what with the other eight children in the family Lily was thinking the family ought to pitch in and get Violet some extra help for the new babies. One of the younger cousins, she thought, could come and stay for a while and see her through the first few months at least.

Amaranthas snapped out of her musings as Lily’s words crept into her consciousness. ‘Why Lily! That’s an excellent idea. It’s a wonder I didn’t think of it first myself!’ Lily looked at the older Hobbit, and frowned. Now why would Amaranthas be thinking about Violet and her babies? She shrugged it off as just another odd statement from an oldster whose mind might be slipping a little more with the passing years.

She wasn’t surprised when Amaranthas sped her out the door shortly after making her comment. The Old Hobbit was known for her abruptness and her lapses in sociableness when the mood struck her. Lily, just happy for the time she’d been allowed to share her news, waved good-bye as she walked down the steps and headed home.

Lily had almost made it to the gate, when Amaranthas called after her. ‘Send young Hap round in an hour, won’t you dear? With his pony. I need a message delivered to someone in Hobbiton. There’s an extra penny for him, if he waits for an answer and brings it back.’
Old 03-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #137
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ah. There was a nice comfortable grassy spot in the sun, with a treetrunk he could lean against. Frodo hefted Pippin off of his shoulders, set him on his feet, and called out to Sam's other children. "Don't go far, and stay together."

"Why are you sitting down, Mister Frodo?" Pippin asked.

"I've got a letter to read, lad, " Frodo said. "Sit beside me, if you'd like. How much can you read?"

"I'm learning to write my name, " Pippin announced proudly.

"Well, you're off to a fine start, " Frodo nodded with approval. Not too far away, Merry-Lad, Frodo-Lad and Rose were laughing and arguing over a frog they had found in the stream; Frodo-lad was trying to frighten Rose with it, but Rose wanted to hold it and keep it as a pet.

Frodo waited 'til Pippin had sat down close to him and gotten comfortable in the sun, and then he unfolded the note and began to read. As Pippin watched, Mr. Frodo grew serious, and a little sad.

Frodo raised his eyes. Bywater pool was a brief gambol away, with the sunlight shimmering on the breezily rippled surface. The boys would enjoy it, he thought.

He looked up, to see Elanor gazing down at him expectantly.

He lifted the letter again, and very carefully folded most of it back, so that only two sentences remained in Cami's spidery script (how very like Bilbo's, he thought.) "Elanor, I'd like you to read these two sentences for me, " Frodo said, motioning her to sit down beside him. Wide-eyed, she obeyed. She read clearly and carefully, and Frodo smiled.

"I plan to check on Lorien tomorrow. If he follows my advice, he will be staying in one of the deserted burrows on the far side of Bywater Pool."

Rose showed up with the frog, dripping a little. "What are you reading?"

Frodo considered her. "Wipe your hands, and give me the frog, and you'll read it too, " he said. Rose grew very excited. She passed the frog to Mr. Frodo, and rubbed her hands on the grass, and presented them.

"No, too muddy. Your hands must be cleaner than that when you read, " Frodo admonished her. "Go rinse them again."

Rose ran off, and Elanor and Frodo shared a smile. She returned with very clean hands. Frodo gestutured at Elanor, who carefully handed her the still-folded letter, and Rose sat with furrowed brow and slowly read the two sentences. Merry-Lad and Frodo-Lad had come over to see what was going on. Frodo-lad looked over her shoulder, and Mr. Frodo smiled as Frodo's lips moved and he sounded out the words, not waiting for Rose to finish.

"I know where those are, Mr. Frodo, I know, I can show you, " Frodo-Lad proudly announced. "Let's go and see him!"

"Do you? Splendid. Well, how does a trip to Bywater Pool sound to the rest of you?" There were enthusiastic nods all around. "Well, then, Mr. Frodo Gamgee, you lead the way. But first-- Rose, does this frog have a name?"

Rose shook her head.

"Don't you think you should give it one?"

Rose nodded. "But I don't know what to call him."

"Well, perhaps we'll think of a good name as we go. Ready?"

Frodo-lad strutted in the lead as they all trooped off.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:12 AM   #138
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Elanor hopped along, right behind her brother Frodo-lad. She stopped and turned, watching Mr. Frodo being enveloped by her younger siblings.

"Excuse me, Pippin. Let me through." She softly pushed little Pippin to one side. With a little surprise from Mr. Frodo, Elanor grabbed his hand. She smiled up to him in excitement. There were so many questions to ask him!

"Um... Mr. Frodo... can I ask you some stuff ‘bout the journey you and Papa took to destroy the Ring?" She waited anxiously, like a small child. Frodo nodded, making her smile larger.

"Well... What was Rivendell and Lord Elrond like? What was it like to be in the Fellowship to destroy the Ring of Power? Papa tells us about them all the time, but sometimes I think he pulls a few stretchers."

Frodo laughed a little. "Oh, does he? That's like Sam. Well, Rivendell is a beautiful place. All of the rooms have trees growing right up from the ground. They are always bright, because they all have enormous windows."

He continued on, speaking of the Fellowship and every adventure that they had. Elanor’s eyes were like saucers, nodding in agreement to every statement she liked. Soon Frodo-lad told the group they were near, and Elanor finally asked Mr. Frodo no more questions.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 03-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #139
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It took Cami several more hours to complete her preparations and leave the Inn. She searched through the kitchen and supply closets, coming up with a number of things Lorien might fine useful. By the time she was ready to go, she had a large sack filled with practical household tools and equipment as well as foods that could be stored in a larder. Then she grabbed two brooms and a bucket, rags for cleaning, and a bar of household soap, and went barrelling out the door.

The Bywater Pool was not far away, but Cami could not easily carry this many goods on foot so she hitched up a pony cart from the stables. The burrows lay on the northern edge of the pool. They were not in ideal shape as they had been deserted some fourteen years before, when Sharkey and his men came to the Shire and turned everything upside down. Unlike Bagshot Row, this area had never been rebuilt, since the new homes were constructed closer to the Dragon. Cami did not care for the newer fashion of living in snug farmhouses rather than snug holes, but she reasoned that folk should be able to chose whichever they liked best.

As Cami approached the northeastern side of the Pools, she could see Lorien in front of the largest burrow. He looked dirty and tired and scruffy. He was kneeling on the bank of the stream that fed into the pool, attempting to wash out his jacket, but not doing a very good job at all.

Cami put a hand over her mouth to stifle her laughter. It almost seemed to her as if Lorien had never had to do any practical things before, and was totally lost when it came to even the simplest matter.

"Here, let me do that." She interrupted and took the jacket away, scrubbing it against the rocks and using the bar of soap she'd brought with her from the Inn.

As she worked, she attempted to coax him to talk. "How are you feeling?"

"A little better than last night, I suppose. But my head is still splitting, and the burrow is dank and dusty, and far too small."

Cami nodded, "I can't help about the "small" part. It's all we have in Bywater. I don't think Pio is going to let you back into the Inn, so I brought some things for cleaning the hole. These should take care of the dank and dusty." She pulled out her assortment of brooms and buckets and rags.

"You've eaten, I expect." Cami motioned towards the food that she carried in her bag.

"Eaten? No, I guess I forgot to do that."

Forgot to do that? Who would forget to eat? Cami looked up startled.

"Well, let's take care of that first then." She dipped into her bag and spread out a small feast in front of Lorien in typical hobbit fashion, but he seemed reluctant to eat anything. He finally picked up a few crackers and started to nibble on them.

There was little talk during their meal. Cami helped herself to generous portions while Lorien ate a cracker or two. Cami also gave him the small bottles of blackish liquid, and suggested he drink them now, explaining "They're supposed to be very good for headaches and such."

Lorien looked doubtful, but his head was pounding so, that he was willing to try anything that might help. He poured the content of the bottles together into a cup and wolfed it down with a single gulp, making a terrible face and almost wretching.

"What's wrong? Cami demanded. "You've never had herbal remedies before? Most of them taste like that, except for the ones the Elves make."

Lorien did not answer, but merely rolled his eyes.

When they were finally finished, and Cami had cleaned up the remains of their meal, she decided to broach some serious questions with him.

"I've been thinking about what you said. I'm trying to decide what to do, but I've got a few questions."

As Lorien stared back at her with a blank face, Cami responded with some irritation, "You do remember last night, don't you?"

"Last night? How could I forget? It was one of the most miserable nights of my life."

"No, I mean the part about the message. The things you told me about Bilbo and Maura."

Lorien sighed and glared back sternly at her, "Yes, I remember. Despite what you think, I am very much in control of things."

"Good," said Cami, "because that's just what I was going to ask about. Since you're in control of things, can't we make this arrangement permanent rather then temporary? If you can do one thing, you can surely do the other."

Lorien gazed over at the hobbit sitting on the grass. She seemed so small and hopeful, so very expectent. It was the first time he'd actually looked at her.

"No, I'm sorry. I can't do that."

"But why not?" Cami pleaded. "You're a Vala. You can do anything you want."

"No. I'm sorry." His voice was uncharacteristically soft and gentle.

"But you must be able to. Pio says you control things." She did not add the other part about making people's lives miserable, but her yearnings were so intense that Lorien had little trouble reading the unspoken words.

"Whatever Pio says, it doesn't work like that. I'm not even sure I could do the thing you ask. But even if I could....I have rules, just as you have rules. If I tried to do something like that, I'd get us in terrible trouble."

"Anyways, the part about controlling things." he added. "You're a hobbit. To be truthful, I don't have a great deal of control over your life at all, since, for the most part, you stand outside the music."

"You know, Cami, if it hadn't been for your involvement with Bilbo and the voyage on the Star, you would never have crossed paths with any of the Valar. Hobbits generally don't, and aren't supposed to.

"Why not?" Cami pressed.

"What happened last night should give you an idea. It never seems to work out well. There are misunderstandings. Folk get hurt. It's better we go our separate paths."

"None of this seems fair. The 'staying apart' or the 'temporary.'"

"Perhaps not, but this is the best I can do. Even if you were to plead on bended knee in front of Manwe, he could do no better than I am offering. You will need to think about it, and tell me what you decide, and how you prefer to set things up, if you do go ahead."

"Wait, I've one other question. Maura? Did you speak with him?"

"No, Gandalf took the message to him."

"Then what did Maura say," Cami pushed for an answer.

"I do not know. Gandalf did not tell me."

Cami sat back on her heels and looked upset. Then, how will I ever decide since I don't even know how Maura feels about this.

"Wait, just a minute," Lorien pressed his fingers against his brow as if he was trying to push down the throbbing and remember something important. He reached inside his belt and fished around a bit, retrieving a much-battered envelope.

"Here, I forgot this. Gandalf gave it to me for you."

Cami reached out her hand and hastily looked down at the packet. She did not even have to open it. Her name was written in a bold clear script that Cami would have recognized anywhere. She picked up the envelope and pressed her lips softly against the inscription.

"Thank you. This should help. I will come back and give you my answer tomorrow."

She slipped the letter into her bag, restraining herself from ripping it open. It would be better to read in the privacy of her room where she could carefully think on it.

"You're going then?"

"Going, I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to clean that dirty burrow." She took a look inside and scratched her head. This place would need a whole army of hobbits to get it clean! She rolled up her sleeves and began working, wondering if there was anyone she could call on for help.

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #140
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo-lad was somewhat annoyed that his sister was no longer bothered by small creatures, even ones as strange looking as frogs. Giving up, he let her keep the frog and walked over to where Mr. Frodo sat.

Glancing over his namesake's shoulder Frogo Gamgee read over the letter. With some excitment his realized that he understood it (at least he thought) perfectly. "I know where those are, Mr. Frodo, I know, I can show you," he proudly announced. "Let's go and see him!"

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Carrûn ]
Old 03-08-2003, 01:26 PM   #141
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Angelica set down the steaming plate of eggs and bacon in front of Fosco as she continued scolding, "Fosco, I hope you realize I'm very disappointed by you. You had no call to act that way towards your sister."

"She didn't call for me to, but she was just telling me with her eyes," Fosco protested. "She was calling… with her eyes."

Angelica turned and pretended to sneeze. She would not laugh.

"And, Mummy, she threw pudding at me back."

"I'm glad she threw pudding back at you," said Angelica. "It will teach you a good lesson you shouldn't forget. If she had done that on her own I would be giving her a good spanking this very moment, but since Miss Pio approved, and even helped her, so - "

"Mum, there's someone at the door for you! He has a message!"

Another one? Angelica thought. Goodness, what is it this time? Aloud she said, "Bring the message here, Madoc! I'm making breakfast, I can't come."

A minute later Madoc came in, holding out a letter. Angelica took it from him and looked down the hallway towards the door. "Madoc, up until now you have been the most respectful of my rule… closing the front door?"

"He said he'd wait for a message back."

"Very well, then. Your breakfast is ready. Sit down and eat it; I'll go to the door with the message back."

Angelica opened the letter and read quickly. She did not want to leave whoever it was standing at the door.

Angelica Baggins Muddyfoot
Hobbiton, Westfarthing, the Shire
22 Thrimidge

My dear Angelica,
I was so happy to hear that you had agreed to be the midwife for Mistress Piosenniel. I know that everything will go well now that she will be in your capable hands.

It occurred to me that there is something we need to discuss with her, and I am hesitant to bring it up on my own, since I think she may simply shrug off the suggestion as the worries of an old Hobbit. Coming from you, though, she may be more receptive, since she will view you and your opinions as being authoritative on the subject of babies.
We both know that this will be her first time as a mother, and twins can be very trying even to the most experienced. She has no family to help her out, as you know, and so the burden of two demanding little ones will fall entirely on her shoulders. I'd like to propose that we convince her to have a nursemaid once the babies arrive.

Now, I've given some thought to whom this might be, and I think I've got one who would be a perfect match for Miz Pio. We're distantly related on my mother's side. I know she's free, not married yet, has a good head on her shoulders, and dotes on babies and younger kids. And she's had plenty of experience, being the oldest in a family of twelve. It's Gillyflower Took, I'm thinking of - Everard Took and Menthes Brandybuck Took's daughter. They're the family from Waymeet in Westfarthing. Everard's the son of old Adelard who passed on some ten years ago.

What say you to this idea?

Miz Pio should be asking to see you soon to talk over the particulars of the birthing. That is, once she gets settled in with her husband, who has just arrived today at the Green Dragon Inn. I was hoping you can bring it up then with her, if that is agreeable with you.

I shall await your answer before I write Gilly.

Sincerely,

~~~ Amaranthas ~~~
Amaranthas Bolger

Angelica re-folded the letter and left the kitchen, calling down the long hallway as she entered her bedroom, "I'll be there in just a moment!"

Taking a paper and pen from her desk drawer, she began to write a very elegant reply. The letter soon changed, however, as she heard battle-cries from the kitchen.

Dear Amaranthas,
I have read your letter and I have thought it over carefully, and it seems that that would be a wise choice. I have spoken with Gillyflower Took on occasion. Though I do not know her very well, we've happened to cross paths and she seems most suitable. You may write her and ask.

Angelica Muddyfoot

Angelica grabbed the letter and half-ran down the hallway towards the front door, yelling into the kitchen as she passed, "You stop that right now, Fosco Muddyfoot!" She knew it was him.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting, sir," she said to the hobbit standing at the door. "Here is the letter for you to take back to Miss Bolger. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some children to attend to."

The hobbit grinned and hurried down the path, while Angelica turned and marched towards the kitchen, an angry expression on her face.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #142
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam closed the door slowly after the children had filed out after Frodo. Only Goldi and Hamfast were left. The former was sulking in her room, and the latter was sleeping, so the Gamgee parents were left alone. Rose watched as Sam walked into the living room, a strange look on his face, and picked up some letters that he had not opened. She followed him, threw her around his shoulders and gave him a big kiss on the cheek.

"I'm so glad that you asked him!" she exclaimed, hugging him. "You won't regret it. Did you see his face? He wants to see you! He misses you as much as you miss him."

"Does he?" Sam muttered, not so much out of real doubt as just for the sake of argument. If at first he had been a little hurt, then resolved, he was now just plain confused. Frodo didn't seem to want to come, not at first, but then Rose was right--he had looked pleased, even excited after he accepted. "Rose, I just don't know what's going on."

"What's going on is two old friends who think they've grown out of each other, and are both afraid it's true," Rose said softly, taking a seat by Sam on the couch. "Neither of you want things to have changed. I think that you both fancied your meeting to bring you back twelve years, to when you were always together, to when you were like brothers. But twelve years apart changes people, Sam. You weren't the same man that I knew after you returned from your Quest. You had seen things that I'll never see, experienced things that I'll never understand because I'll never experience them. It's the same with Frodo, now, only you're in my position this time. He's seen things and experienced things that you haven't, and probably won't ever."

Sam did not interrupt Rose, but silently he contradicted her.

She went on. "And where it was only a matter of a year and a few months with you and me. This time it's been twelve years. Sam, things change, people change."

"So should I even try?" Sam asked, a little irritably. He put down the letters and looked at Rose, who looked back at him evenly.

"You didn't let me finish," Rose said gently. "Things change and people change. But some things don't. I still loved you just as much when you came back, though you had changed. And you still loved me, though you saw me with new eyes. What we shared didn't change at all. And I don't think that what you and Frodo share has changed either. You and he experienced things together that nobody else will ever understand--not me, not the children, not even Bilbo. It'll be a little uncomfortable for a while--you'll remember our first meeting after you came back. I even said some silly things because I didn't know what you'd been through. Silly things will be said, Sam, and you'll have to feel your boundaries. Once you know your boundaries with each other, you'll know how to speak to each other, and the boundaries will expand until they're gone, and you'll remember your old friendship. Just give Frodo a chance, Sam, and he'll give you one."

"You're sure?" Sam asked quietly. Rose was making a lot of sense, he realized that. But somehow he would have to see it before he believed it.

"Quite sure," Rose replied. "I know you, Samwise Gamgee. I married you, didn't I? If after a year in which so much happened I still knew you well enough to marry you, then you and Frodo, after twelve years, will still be able to talk. Promise."

Sam smiled and gave his wife a hug. "Thank you, Rose. I needed to hear that."

She let him be for a moment, then gently pushed him off. "Finish your letters, Mr. Mayor. I didn't do anything but tell you what you already knew. You just do what you need to, and I know it'll all work out for the best."
Old 03-08-2003, 04:03 PM   #143
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Hap Bywater took his time returning to the Old Dragon’s house. Sure, there was the promise of the extra penny for him once he returned with the reply, but Miss Amaranthas scared him. Her and her blackthorn stick. His feet dragged up the dusty path to her house.

Ah! She was nowhere in sight! He sprinted to her porch and left the letter in front of her door, rapping loudly on it twice. Then off he hared like a rabbit with the hounds after him. Penny or no, he was not staying about ‘til she answered.

Amaranthas opened the door, only to see a whir of dust moving back down the path. ‘Just as well,’ she thought. ‘Now I don’t have to lighten my purse for that lackwit.’ She was in a particularly prickly mood at the moment as the ride home on Pio’s horse had jarred her bones and set them to aching. She hobbled back to her chair and placed the heated bricks, wrapped in flannel against her hips, letting the warmth of them ease the pain.

Angelica had agreed with her. Excellent! She reached to the small table beside her, drawing the small, portable desk there onto her lap. She tapped the pen against her cheek, thinking how she might word her letter.

The afternoon sun poured in warmly through the open window by her chair, and just outside on the tall spikes of lavender foxglove, the fat bumblebees made merry with the sweet, inviting flowers. Their thick hum was soon punctuated by the scritch . . . scritch of her pen moving across the vellum.

A little fine sand to blot the ink, and she folded the letter carefully in thirds, addressing it boldly on the front:

Gillyflower Took
Waymeet, West Farthing

Tomorrow she would catch the postmaster on his rounds and send it off.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #144
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Frodo watched as the boys began exploring the abandoned holes. Rose and Elanor stayed close to him, looking up at him expectantly. He turned to Rose. "Keep an eye on the boys for me; if they get into mischief, tug on my sleeve. "

"Yes, Mr. Frodo, " Rose said, and turned her sharp young gaze on the frolicking boys.

Frodo turned towards the presence he felt in the abandoned hole, and gently sent a thought: You are still in pain, I see. I am sorry.

Why do you ask? the Vala queried.

Concern and pity, Frodo replied. You are not used to wearing a body. May we come in, please?

But children are so noisy, and my head does hurt so, the Vala objected.

"Frodo; Merry; Pippin, " Frodo called. The three boys scrambled towards him and he met each of their eyes in turn, and then Rose and lastly Elanor. Everyone waited.

"Mr. Lorien does not feel well, " Frodo cautioned the children. "If we go into his house to visit him, and to help him to feel better, then we must be quiet and gentle."

Five curly heads nodded earnestly.

We will not disrupt your comfort, Frodo told Lorien.

I have none for you to disrupt, but if you don't make my headache any worse, I'll have no complaints, the Vala replied.

Frodo smiled, and removed his pocket-hankerchief and handed it to Elanor. "Take this to the pool, and get it cool and wet, but not too dripping," he said. Then he pulled his water-bottle off of his belt, and emptied it. "Rose, rinse this well, and fill it with cool water. You'd best let me hold the frog 'til you're done." Rose surrendered the frog and capered towards the pool with the water bottle. "Frodo, Merry, has your father taught you which herbs are good for clearing the mind and healing a headache?"

They nodded. "We'll go hunt for some, " they replied enthusiastically, and headed for the hillside. Frodo suspected they knew exactly where to look. Only little Pippin was left. "But what can I do?" he said, a little sad.

Frodo bent near him. "Can you sing?"

Pippin smiled. "Oh, yes. I know six whole songs."

"Do you know any quiet lullabyes?"

"Yes! Sometimes I sing it with Mama over little Hamfast."

"Sing it for me know."

Pippin's clear little voice rang out shrilly and powerfully, and Frodo motioned him to sing more softly. He giggled. "Sorry."

"A lulabye is for helping somebody sleep, not for waking them up, " Frodo admonished him.

"Uncle! I know that," Pippin said indignantly.

"All right then, try again. And softly this time."

Pippin's voice, softer now, caressed the breeze so gently that Frodo decided he would like Pippin to sing him to sleep sometime.

The boys returned with several bunches of wild herbs, lavender, rosemary, kingsfoil, and Merry had added several wild roses. Frodo thought the herbs would do very well.

Elanor returned with a nicely dampened pocket-hankerchief, and Rose presented a water-bottle full of cool, fresh water. Frodo nodded, quite satisfied, and put the frog in Rose's free hand, and turned to lead them into the abandoned hole. "Let's go and soothe Mr. Lorien a bit, " Frodo said, and they all nodded very seriously and followed him inside as quiet as hobbits can.

Cami thought she saw motion out of the corner of her eye, and putting her broom down, came to investigate. Her jaw dropped.

Lorien was flat on his back, in the warm sunshine in front of one of the few windows. Elanor was laving his brow with a cool, damp pocket hankerchief; in one hand, Rose held some cool water nearby for him to drink, although the other hand held a frog; Frodo-Lad and Merry-Lad were methodically crushing several handfuls of herbs, and the room smelled wonderful; and Pippin-lad was singing a lullabye that brought tears to Cami's eyes.

Frodo came and took her elbow. "They'll keep him busy for a little while, " Frodo said. "I told Pippin to sing til Lorien falls asleep, and then for all the children to go back to the hillside and play within my sight. Now... what say you take a break from cleaning, and talk to me. Hmmm?"

Cami hesitated. "I hate to stop once I've got a project started, " she said.

"If the children have enough of a play-break, they might be recruited to help you clean, " Frodo argued.

Cami melted. "All right, then. Let's go and sit on the bank."

They went outside in the sunshine, and sat side by side watching the ripples on the water.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:02 AM   #145
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami watched the sunlight reflect off the water and break into a hundred tiny shimmering rainbows. She dangled her feet over the side of the bank and let the cool water slide over her toes. Her arms and back ached from all the hard scrubbing she had done. More than that, her mind felt as if it was running in circles.

Cami looked out across the pond, careful to avoid Frodo's eyes, uncertain how to begin. "I don't mean to drag you into this. I imagine you've got enough to worry about with Sam and Bilbo."

"And I am conerned about Bilbo myself. He has done this for me from the goodness of his heart. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. And I'm afraid he'll be very upset when he hears what's happened to Lorien."

"You know, he doesn't seem so bad this morning. Lorien, I mean."

Frodo looked at her and smiled. He could remember one or two nights in his own past when he would have had trouble answering questions, either coherently or gently, if someone had shouted in his ear to awaken him.

"Only I don't know what to do. Lorien has given me a choice. To accept, or not to accept. And even if I accept, he says I still must decide how to arrange things."

"How will you choose, Cami?" Frodo asked.

"I'm not sure, but Lorien gave me a letter from Maura." She patted her belt. "I promised myself I'd read it later. Tonight, in private. I expect that will decide whether I say yes or no. But there's still the question of whether it might not be best if we went off on our own. Maybe it would be better not to involve any of our friends or kin."

Cami looked over to Frodo with heartfelt eyes, "Frodo, how did all this come about? I'm not like you. I only wanted a quiet life and a home, maybe a few books to read, a husband to love, and children to teach. But it's not turned out like that. I can accept that, but I never expected my choices to fall on my friends as well."

"Last night, with Pio....she only meant to protect me." Cami's voice trailed off.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-09-2003, 03:41 AM   #146
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio lathered up the soft scrub brush and ran it in lazy circles on Mithadan’s back. Cook had asked Ruby and Buttercup to fill the large cauldron with water and she had heated it over the large cooking fire to a pleasantly warm temperature for his bath. Prim had provided the refreshing bath salts from the supply Gammer Nutmeg brought round once a month for the benefit of the guests at the Inn. And Hob and his assistant had drug in one of the unused horse watering tubs big enough for a tall Man to comfortably bathe in.

This was the third round of bathwater, and it appeared from the relative clarity of it, that the main layers of grime and dirt had already been scrubbed and rinsed off with the first two fillings. This last one was for sheer enjoyment and relaxation. And Pio was hoping that he was very relaxed as she approached him with her concerns.

They had been talking about the small details of daily life – little things that had happened that each had missed out on with the other in their long absence from one another. Mithadan filled her in on his refit of the Lonely Star and his success in selling the dagger they had brought from Númenor. He talked about his visits to his brothers’ houses in Lond Lefnui, and some offers made to him to commission the Star for trading voyages.

Pio had prattled on about daily life in Bywater, and especially at the Inn. She had to repeat herself several times when she told him of the dinner party that she and Cami had given last night for Bilbo and Frodo. Mithadan allowed for the fact that Bird had arrived last evening, but he was still skeptical that it was indeed the Cami that they knew who was now staying at the Inn. And Pio had spent the better part of an hour explaining exactly how the reunion had come about, and promising that as soon as Cami returned to the Inn, Pio would bring her in to see Mithadan.

‘Your meeting with Cami is only a minor concern for me, Mithadan. I know, for a fact, she does exist here, in this time. And it will only be a matter of getting you two together to show you that I have not somehow gone over the edge into strange fantasies. ’ She poured a small quantity of mint shampoo into her hands, and working up a good lather, scrubbed the layers of grease and dirt from his hair. Two pots full of rinse water for his silvered mop and she deemed him squeaky clean from stem to stern.

He stretched out in the tub, leaning his back and head against the high side. Pio had obliged him with the addition of several steaming pots of water and he could feel the tight knots in his muscles begin to loosen. Pio sat on a stool behind him, working the tension from his head and neck with her long, strong fingers. Little curls of steam moved upward from the surface of the water, and Mithadan, eyes closed, was just on the verge of drifting off to sleep, when a sentence or two she had just uttered drifted beneath the layers of his exhaustion and prompted his attention.

His eyes popped open, and sitting up in the tub, he turned to look at her. ‘What did you just say?’ He shook the water from his ears, hoping he had somehow misheard her. ‘The Vala,’ he prompted, ‘what did you say about him?’

‘No use dissembling,’ she thought to herself. She sighed, and the whole story of Lorien and Cami and his message to her about Maura came tumbling out, interspersed with descriptions of the Vala’s fondness for mead and ale and his subsequent state of drunkenness. ‘You know that for the most part, I do not have a high opinion of the Valar and their dealings with the creatures of Arda. The brusque manner in which he delivered his message to Cami, and her tears pushed me to the edge. And a little beyond, to be honest. I have to admit I was not very politic in the handling of the situation.’ She explained, in a very brief manner, the incident with the knife, how Bird had stayed her hand, and how she had, in the end, thrown him out of the Inn.

Mithadan blanched beneath his tan, his eyes widening at her words. ‘Oh, Piosenniel,’ he said in a quiet tone, ‘what have you done?’

‘To be truthful, I am not quite sure what I have done. The possibilities, though, all unclear to me, weigh heavy on my mind. I do know I would not have my dislike for this Vala cause any pain for Cami - she has enough pain to deal with already. Nor would I have it cause problems for any others of those I love.’ At this her arms went protectiveley around her belly.

She took his water wrinkled hand and nestled her cheek against it. ‘But I was hoping, now that you are here, that you might see your way to somehow smooth this over for me . . .’
Old 03-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #147
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Yes, Mithadan, and while you are at it, perhaps you could ask for your own ancestor to return from his voyage in the skies, and arrange to have Gondolin raised from the sea."

Bird stood leaning against the doorway, a steaming mug of tea in her hands, and an expression of disapproval on her face to match the tone of her voice. Mith quickly reached for the robe laying by the tub and wrapped it around him. "Woman, don't you ever knock?"

"Oh, now we're all worried about the proprieties, are we? After crossing the borders of a land protected by the edict of the King, wrestling with a Vala, snatching the Ringbearer back from the his time of healing in the West, and calling Cami back from her chosen time to offer her a hopeless respite from her duties?"

Bird stalked into the room, grabbing a towel from a bench and tossing it towards the head of the man. She sank down on the bench, and sighed, looking suddenly older than her years, and tired. Staring down into the contents of her cup, as if it were her own Mirror of Seeing. Without looking up, she said softly to the tall Elf, "Pio, what have you done here? Or is any of this even your doing? Have any of you asked just why all of this is occuring?"

"None of this could be happening - should be happening! Why are we all here again, in a land that is forbidden to us, and Cami a time that is no longer her own? 'Tis a sweet story: love denied will, by the Grace of the One, suddenly be granted, if only for a short time."

"But nothing comes without cost, and I have to ask: at what price? Why suddenly this interest in our own small doings? Before you treated a servant of The One as if he were a drunken drover, perhaps you might have taken the time to inquire just what cost He will demand from us for this "boon" to Cami and Maura?"

"I mislike this Pio. I mislike all of this. But I am here, as are you all, and I just have to ask: why?"

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 03-09-2003, 10:25 AM   #148
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan settled into a chair and covered himself as best he could with the robe and towel. He pondered all that had been said and listened as Bird voiced her concerns.

"Why, indeed?" he asked. "It strikes me that the Valar were well satisfied with the manner in which events played themselves out. The Hobbrim are settled on Meneltarma, the Hobbits were brought to the Vale of Anduin and both branches of the race settled into the needed obscurity. So why should they intervene now in this minor matter?"

Choosing his words carefully, he looked at Piosenniel as he spoke. "It seems to me that all that is transpiring was brought about by Bilbo's request that Cami...and Maura, be allowed some degree of healing, and indeed that they had earned it. But you will recall all our discussions and concerns about leaving the threads of time intact while we travelled through the Ages on our quest. Maura is...was needed in Tol Fuin and Cami with the Hobbits rescued from Numenor. These threads cannot be disturbed. So why would the Valar intervene now? The only answer is that they wish to visit some small kindness on our friends; as much as they possibly and safely can. And it cannot be said that this is being done without some risk."

Piosenniel listened silently to Mithadan's words without speaking and neither indicated her ageement nor her dissent. Mithadan continued. "Piosenniel, the decision to accept or decline this offer rests with Cami. She is not a child that you can rescue her from this burden. As for Lorien, he is a messenger bringing this offer from the Valar and perhaps effecting the choices of Cami and Maura. And if he has lacked diplomacy, consider who he is. He is one of the Great Ones and is, no doubt, unused to dealing with the concerns of politeness which are part of our everyday life. You should consider forgiving him of this, for he and the Valar have done much which they have no need to do, save out of some sense of compassion, odd as it may seem."
Old 03-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #149
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Frodo pondered Cami's words, and stared at the glimmering water for a while before answering.

"Cami, I fought rather hard not to involve my friends in my decision to leave the Shire. I hid from them, I snuck past them, I evaded them." He turned to her. "And you know where that got me."

She laughed. "It got you on the road with three friends firmly attatched."

Frodo nodded. "And ere the end, none of them escaped peril, turmoil, or horror. Every one of them suffered. Despite everything that I did to sheild them, to deflect them from my life and my quest. And if I asked any of them, if they would rather have stayed home after all, each one of them would indignantly rebuke me and assure me that they belonged on that quest."

Cami stared at her toes.

"Your life is woven inextricably with your friends, Cami. That's why they are your friends. Don't withdraw from them, and don't shield them; let them stand by you, even as you would stand by them."

Cami studied the hair on her toes, knowing that she shouldn't be fighting Frodo's advice, trying to absorb it.

"Cami, if it hadn't been for Sam, I'd have never made it to the end of the quest. But there's another way to look at it, too."

"What?"

"If he hadn't had to get me there, do you think Sam would have gone? And if neither of us had been there, Gollum certainly wouldn't have been."

"But this isn't about the doom of the world. This is about my private life, " Cami said.

Frodo burst out laughing, and Cami looked up indignantly.

"Oh, " said Frodo, between guffaws, "it's just my coming of age, and coming into my inheritance, that's all. Nothing of import to anyone but me; just an excuse for a party, nothing more."

And then he sobered, and fell silent, looking towards The Green Dragon Inn. The little waves whispered as they lapped againt the sandy shore. There was a long silence.

"Cami?"

"What?"

"Where is your home?"

"Wherever Maura is, " she replied.

Frodo nodded, satisfied to hear her say it, and gradually they became aware of the children laughing and playing on the hillside.

Child's post

Cami had sat silently for a minute, thinking about what Frodo had said. Then she'd turned to thank him for taking the time to talk and offered him a shy hug. She promised him to think through everything carefully, when she returned to the Inn to read Maura's letter and make her final decision.

The two of them had gone inside with the children, and spent another hour dusting and polishing and scrubbing out the burrow. By the end of that time, things were considerably cleaner, and Lorien was beginning to look a bit more rested.

The Gamgee children said their goodbys and lined up behind Frodo to make the trek back to Hobbiton. Lorien came over to thank the children for their kindness and work, and watched them with a smile as they trooped out the door.

"Coming Cami?" Frodo asked.

"No, not just yet. I want to get a hearth fire started and make a dish or two that Lorien can put in his larder. Perhaps, by tomorrow, he'll feel a little more like eating."

"See you back at the Inn for supper?"

"For sure!" she nodded, then wait back inside to start her cooking.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:05 PM   #150
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird stared, open-mouthed at Mith and Pio for a few seconds after the Man had completed this explanation. Then suddenly she burst out with a wild laugh, slapping her knee and spilling the mug, where the tea flowed and blended with the streams of bath water on the stone floors.

" 'A small kindness'?" she finally wheezed. "A small kindness is old Barliman standing me a few pints when my pockets are bare! Perhaps all this conniving is a small matter for the Valar to accomplish, but it has no small effects."

"Let's look at this: Three halflings suddenly appear out of nowhere, who had long ago disappeared. Now perhaps Cami's return could be explained away easily enough. 'Got tired of dealing with all those outlandish Big folk, and decided to return where people are normal'. But Frodo? I saw him traipsing off to Bag End this morning, behaving as if he had just returned from a long stay at Buckland. What are the good folk of Hobbiton to think of this? He was gone, bag and baggage, and all he owned given over to the Gamgees - who have done very well out of the deal, I might add. The Gamgees have 'risen', and Sam has gained the respect and trust of all the Shire. But Mark my words: tongues are wagging right now, saying that 'Mad Baggins' had come to reclaim his own, and that the Gamgees will soon be back to rooting taters for their betters."

"And why shouldn't they say that? For a Man enters the boundries of the Shire, ignoring the command of King Elessar that no Man shall cross these borders. A command that the King himself has declared he will obey. Then comes a letter from Mayor Sam, overturning this edict. Why? It smacks of conspiracy, Mith! And it will take more than assurances of 'small kindnesses' to dissuade people of these thoughts. The Halfling folk are a suspicious, insular lot, and with good reason. A small folk in a land of giants have little reason to feel otherwise."

Bird raised her hand as Mith started to offer an angry retort. "One more thing: when I spent time with Tom in the Old Forest, he told me that wilderness outside the boundries of the Shire are still filled with disaffected Men, bandits, low-lifes and riff-raff of the worst persuasion. Most were cast out after the War and the Scouring from their homes in Bree and Sarn Ford. Many of these brigands have been captured and killed by the Bounders or the Dunedain, but not all."

"Mith, did you see any of these Men as you were crossing the boundries? And more important: did any of them see you?"

Old 03-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #151
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Bilbo sat on a bench near the front of the Inn, smoking his pipe and watching two large smokerings float lazily into the sky. Several red, bound volumes sat near his side. A messenger had delivered them that morning in response to his earlier request to Sam. Bilbo had also brought a blanket out to toss over his shoulders, thinking there might be a stiff breeze. But, with the warmth of the summer sun beating against his back, he let it slip to the ground where it now lay crumpled in a heap.

Sometime later, tomorrow or the day after, he wanted to have a last look at Bag-end. Hobbiton was little more than ten-minutes away. As long as he took things at a slow pace, he might make it there leaning against the arm of a friend. Or maybe he'd hitch up the pony cart, and go off on his own. Perhaps even pay a visit to Amaranthas, since she seemed to have a good deal more sense than a number of the younger hobbits.

But today was not the time for that. Hopefully, Frodo had made it over to Bag-end, and was now tramping through the Shire with the Gamgee children in tow. If Sam had even a midge of sense, he would corral his friend after the walk, and the two of them would sit and talk. The lad still lived too much inside his own head. He needed to stretch himself a bit, not worry so much about what others were thinking or doing, just push forward and let his wishes be known. Perhaps, they should set up a little dinner party of their own at Bag-end, with Sam and Pippin and Merry and Frodo. None of the womenfolk about fussing over spilt tobacco or too much ale, or setting out thirty-six different fancy dishes. A haunch of beef and a bit of brew. Just like old times!

Then there was the whole problem of Cami and Lorien. Cami and the others were tiptoeing delicately about, thinking to hide the latest news from him. As if he didn't have ears and hadn't heard the commotion last night! Being older had slowed him down a bit, but he still had his wits about him. With a racket like that, it was impossible to sleep. He'd had been woken up by the thunder of Pio's angry voice, and had gone over to the window to look outside. He'd heard the door of the Inn slam shut once or twice, and then seen a bruised Lorien moaning on the front steps. Cami had been moping about the Inn for some hours later, haunting the corridors like a wayward ghost.

The girl would come around. He was certain of that. He knew Cami too well, not to have some glimmering of how she was feeling. He hadn't been too keen on the 'temporary' part himself. He'd tried arguing with Gandalf a time or two to see if anything could be changed, but the wizard had sadly shaken his head and said that was the best the Valar could manage.

No, despite the upset, Bilbo was still convinced his request had been a wise one. If a hobbit was desperately hungry, would he turn down one hearty meal just because he couldn't see where he'd find the next? His own views were quite simple. Take what was offered in good grace and hope that what lay round the bend would be even better.

Not that everyone here agreed with him. Piosenniel had obviously been quite upset by Lorien's message. And that newcomer.... What was her name? Oh, yes, 'Bird.' She seemed to be a natural pessimist. She'd fixed a harsh eye on him in the hallway of the Inn, as if he was personally responsible for keeping Cami and Maura apart. A shapechanger should have more sense than that! Perhaps he should have a word or two with her, and straighten out her confusion.

For now, though, let them all spin their little webs. Bilbo was certain he'd be seeing Maura sometime soon. And, however painful a short visit might be, it was better than nothing at all. He promised himelf to give this lad from the First Age a thorough grilling to make sure he was worthy of Cami.

Still, if one assumed that Maura was even half the hobbit that Cami considered him to be, it was a pity these two couldn't spend their lives together, helping each other get through the hard parts. But, if the Valar were powerless to do anything more, there was nowhere else to go for help.

Or was there?.....Bilbo sat and thought a very long time. And then it hit him. He picked up one of the books by his side and thumbed through the Quenta Silmarillion. He finally found the passage he'd been searching for, and spent a long time reading and rereading it.

Perhaps this was foolishness on his part. He wasn't sure if any of this was possible. And he'd done nothing to merit such a thing. Still a friend was in trouble. And Bilbo was not one to turn his back on a friend. He sat on the bench a very long time, pondering his options, and thinking that, despite his earlier reassurances to Frodo, how very much he'd miss the lad.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:20 PM   #152
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

The relevance of Bird's question evaded him. Nonetheless, Mithadan answered. "As I told you in the Trade Inn, I was set upon by bandits before I reached Sarn Ford and was forced to go many days out of my way seeking to evade them. Then, after I left the Trade Inn, I came upon a character skulking by the road, behind a bush actually. Before he could introduce himself, I put the tip of my sword to him. He claimed his name was Stoat or some such thing and seemed rather hostile towards The Shire. He said that once I was caught by the Hobbits and ejected from their land, I could look for him in Bree if I wanted to join him and his fellows."

Mithadan looked at Bird in confusion. "Why do you ask?"
Old 03-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #153
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio rubbed the back of her neck in exasperation. A headache had started behind her eyes, brought on, she thought by the angry tones she heard between her two companions. Or perhaps it was just the simple fact that she had neither slept nor eaten since the dinner party last night. She left Mithadan and Bird to discuss bandits and the price of assistance from the Valar, and went quietly to the Inn’s kitchen.

She smiled as she entered the cozy room. ‘An island of sanctuary in this sea of troubles,’ she laughed to herself, ‘and here I am a great over laden boat coming in to dock.’ The simple routine of the place comforted her. It was reassuring and something she could understand. Need a fire – chop wood. Making soup – carry in water, cut up vegetables, season to taste. Straight forward responses with none of the twists and turns of deciphering motives and meanings and extenuating circumstances.

Hob noticed her as she entered, and seeing her pale face hurried over. ‘Here, let me get you some tea with some of the fireweed honey gammer Nutmeg left for us today. From her own hives. Sweetest there is in the Westfarthing!’ He set the fragrant mug in front of her and she sipped at it gratefully.

‘And how about a plate of apple slices and seedcake to go with that tea?’ Cook placed the food in front of her, and returned to her vegetables for the stew, not waiting for an answer.

Food and drink and calm routine had a restorative effect on the Elf’s disposition. The headache was pushed back, and her thoughts moved over her problems with somewhat greater clarity. What had she been thinking to ask Mithadan to ‘fix’ this for her. Her cheeks tinged crimson that she had dared to do this. For a brief moment she considered asking Cami to help her approach Lorien, but that, too, was cast aside. Best to step up and simply do this myself, she thought.

Pio made herself another cup of tea, and sat thinking through her options. Mithadan had counseled that she consider who Lorien is. One of the Great Ones and no doubt unused to dealing with the concerns of politeness. This seemed to her a horridly poor excuse, but if it were true, it would certainly explain the crude way in which he had blurted out his message. Further, Mithadan had asked her to consider forgiving the unschooled Vala for this, saying that the Valar had done much already, out of some sense of compassion – seeming to imply that creatures ‘done for’ need be grateful for the great Ones’ actions despite or regardless of the outcome.

Search as she might, she could find no sense of ‘gratitude’ welling up in her.

Bird’s reaction came now to mind. She had railed at Mithadan’s image of ‘some small kindness’ being visited upon Cami, saying that, “A small kindness is old Barliman standing me a few pints when my pockets are bare! Perhaps all this conniving is a small matter for the Valar to accomplish, but it has no small effects." The ripples of this small kindness were spreading it seemed, and apparently not in a looked for way, or so Bird had implied. She chuckled at Bird’s choice of the word ‘conniving’ – it was a term that rang more true for her than the so called compassion of the Valar.

Pio rubbed her forehead, the pounding had begun to creep back upon her. She detested when events became hazy and she could not pick her way clearly through them. For the briefest of moments she longed for something she could slice cleanly through with her blade and be done with it. Enough of this untangling! One strand seemed only to lead to another, more knotted than before. She sighed. ‘Yes, and it is just that sort of approach that has put you where you are this moment.’

She was clear on one thing, and she thought Mithadan had misunderstood her on it. Cami’s decision to accept or decline the Vala’s offer was her own to make. And Pio would not step in there to counsel for or against her choice.

Her thoughts centered around the concept of ‘forgiveness’ as she finished her tea, and walked over to where Hob sat smoking his pipe contentedly, giving the evening stew a perfunctory stir now and then as he chatted with Cook and Buttercup. It was a slippery term, ‘forgiveness’, and she wondered if it entailed asking him to forgive her. The thought of that made her uneasy, and she put her consideration of the term firmly aside. She would deal with that when and if it came up.

‘Hob, bring ‘falmar round for me now, if you will. I have someone I need to see.’ Hob’s brows raised at this request, but she answered him not. And when the horse was brought round, she spoke a few quiet words into her ears, mounted to the saddle, and set off at a fair clip to the main road . . .

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #154
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

He could not be far away, she reasoned. He was on foot. . . . unless he has sprouted wings like some balrog of old and flown off to safety . . . the thought amused her for a moment, then she clamped down firmly on this image and put it from her mind. This would not go well if she approached with such an attitude.

She sifted through her mind, thinking on all the places she had walked to in her early days at the Inn. Where could a mead-sick man get to in a hurry without arousing the suspicions of neighboring Hobbits? She recalled her late night visits to the Bywater Pool. A peaceful place under the moonlight. Where she had met the fox some months earlier who had delivered Bird’s letter. The dark of night hid the surrounding areas from her view, as she remembered. Only once had she gone there during the day- to retrieve a cloak she had left there when the night had grown warm. The day, in the harshness of its light, revealed less pleasant sights to her. To the north of the pool, what had been only rounded dark hillocks under cover of night were now revealed as rundown, unused burrows. They seemed sad somehow, haunted by old memories, and she had wondered that they had not been rebuilt for use by the growing number of Hobbit families.

She circled up along the western edge of the pool, toward the burrows, hoping to see some sign that he might have gone there. She kept well under the cover of a small copse of trees that grew on this side, cautioning ‘Falmar to step lightly. The burrows were in sight, and she dared to leave the protection of the trees for a closer look. ‘Falmar nickered softly, shaking her head in their direction. Tied outside one of the burrows, the one nearest the stream that fed into the pool was a cart and pony from the Inn. Her brow furrowed at this. So, he had been smart enough to borrow a cart. Or more likely, someone from the Inn had shown him sanctuary and taken him here.

Pio dismounted, telling ‘Falmar to wait for her beneath the trees. She took her knives and placed all of them in the leather satchel hanging from the saddle. Around the back of the deserted burrows she went, quickly and quietly, until she came round the one where waited the patient pony.

She rubbed her neck, taking a deep breath, then stepped up to the closed door and rapped firmly on it, speaking in a voice loud enough to be heard by the one she heard moving within.

‘Lorien! It is Piosenniel. Open the door, please. Let me enter. I have come to make what peace I can between us . . .’

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-09-2003, 04:49 PM   #155
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird made Mith go over the story of his meeting with Stoat again, biting her lip as she heard of this Man's skulking about the borders, and his offer to Mith of "work".

"What kind of work, I wonder? Orc's-work, most likely. Don't you see, Mith. The Halfling folk have done much to protect their borders, but these brigands know that the King's command gave them the backing they needed. Yet here are you and I, breaking that command, and instead of being dragged across the boundries and sent about our business, we have been welcomed!"

"Perhaps those of the Fellowship can find a distinction between us and other 'Men', but there are other folk who definitely won't. And when this news travels beyond the Shire - and be sure that it will - what will these brigands make of it? That the King's orders can be ignored? That Men are entering the Shire, and that the Mayor has allowed it?"

The little skinchanger shook her head. "They will find a wedge from this," she murmured. "A wedge that will make them think that they can get back at 'the little folk' who disgraced and hounded them. I don't like this, Mith," she repeated. "We have done wrong coming here, you and I. I can only hope that greater wrong doesn't come from it."

Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 PM   #156
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The loaves of freshly baked bread filled the burrow with a rich aroma, which even Loren found inviting. Cami set the bread on a tabletop that she'd constructed from one of the doors Lorien had wrenched off the most dilapidated of the burrows. Cami scrounged through the other holes on her own, gathering up anything she thought might add a little comfort to the place.

Except for helping to drag back the makeshift table, Lorien sat quietly by himself watching Cami work. He'd finally offered to help with something, agreeing to walk over to a deserted apple orchard just the other side of the pond, and bring back some fruit. Cami promised to cook up a batch for apple butter, leaving some for Lorien, and bringing back the rest to Bird and Piosenniel.

With the first knock at the door, Cami thought it might be Frodo coming to help her finish the work on the burrow. She went over to draw back the latch and, within an instant, heard Pio's familiar voice. Her immediate thought was to bail out through the back window and run off in the direction of the orchard to warn Lorien to stay away. But, as she heard Pio's words, and, even more, her conciliatory tone, Cami thought it might be alright to push the door ajar and let the Elf come inside.

The hobbit smiled nervously and asked her friend to have a seat, expaining that Lorien was out gathering apples, but should be back shortly. She offered her friend a slice of fresh bread, apologizing for the lack of apple butter, a deficiency that she hoped would be remedied shortly.

"But why did you come?" Piosenniel asked.

"I wanted to try and get more information out of Lorien, but I ended up staying and trying to clean up this place. Frodo and the Gamgee children were over to help too."

"You know, Pio. This old place isn't half bad. A little more elbow grease and a few extra pieces of furniture, and it might actually be livable." Cami's eyes darted quickly around the room. It reminded her a bit of the very small burrow that Maura and his family had occupied in Gondolin.

"And Lorien?" questioned Pio in a low quiet, voice.

"Lorien's no Gandalf, but he's a bit like this burrow. He grows on you after a while. Doesn't make a good first impression, but there's more to him than you thought at first."

"Anyways, he did one good thing. He gave me this." Cami fidgeted under her belt and drew out an envelope with its seal still intact, showing it to Pio. "This is from Maura. I've been waiting to read it until I get back to the Inn. This should help me decide what to do."

It was at that minute that the door pushed inward, and Lorien entered carrying a bag of apples slung over his back.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-10-2003, 03:23 AM   #157
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio put the uneaten bread down on the makeshift table. Her words echoed in her mind as he entered the door. I will have no more to do with the Vala. And for one wild moment she thought to push past him and keep that vow. But she reined in the impulse to flee and stood tall before him, her face calm, unreadable. Her grey eyes, darkened in the dim light of the burrow, were full upon him.

He did not look much the master of anything now. His cloak was tattered and grimy, his face pale and drawn from lack of sleep. There were scratches and bruises on his exposed skin from her rough handling. Even his eyes seemed dull as he looked up at her, surprised to see her there, hesitant that she might set on him again.

Pio took off her cloak, and held her empty hands out toward him.

I am unarmed, Lord Irmo, save for my tongue, and even that I have sheathed for now.

She placed her right hand over her heart and bowed to him.

I have come to make peace with you, Lord Irmo. And if you will, I would ask you to forgive those hurtful actions of mine. I will not justify them to you, but only say they were uncalled for. You are a stranger to the web of civility that smoothes the roughness from our interactions with each other. I should have recognized that and tempered the words you spoke with my understanding. I failed to do so, and for that I apologize. Again - please forgive me.

She bowed once more to him.

Pio picked up her cloak and drew it round her shoulders, fastening it carefully for the ride back to the Inn. She motioned to his bag of apples with her chin and at the pot Cami had out, ready to make apple butter.

You are busy here. Let me not take up any more of your time. I will leave you to the good graces and gentle hands of Cami.

She gathered her cloak around her, and spoke aloud. ‘Cook is making her mouthwatering stew for supper. And if my nose had the right of it, there was also a berry tart in the oven. If you would be so kind, the both of you, to come to the Inn tonight for supper, it would be our pleasure to have you there. Mithadan is looking forward to seeing you once again, Cami. And Lorien, I think he would very much like to meet you.’

Pio smiled graciously at the two of them, and bent to take an apple from the sack Lorien had set down by his feet. ‘For my horse and I to share. Shire apples are sweet, and we have a liking for them, she and I.’

She walked quickly to the door . . .

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-10-2003, 05:55 AM   #158
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

mark12_30's post

The younger children gamboled and frolicked around Frodo as they headed back towards Bag End. Rose defended her frog against the curiosity of her siblings, and tried to talk Frodo into naming the frog for her a couple of times, but Frodo insisted that was her perogative and not his. Twice Pippin-lad asked to ride Frodo's shoulders again, and then wanted down again soon after when he saw how much fun the others were having. Elanor strode beside Frodo asking him questions about Arwen; Elanor was fascinated by her fame, her beauty, her wisdom.

"Perhaps some day I'll see her."

Frodo smiled. "Perhaps."

As they approached Bag End, Frodo fell silent, and Elanor watched him.

Frodo thought about Lorien, and about dreams; about the dreams that had troubled him for so long, and still occasionally cornered him, on his darker days. The elves had helped him extensively, and he was not hearly so troubled by them now as he had been in the past; nor were they as frequent. Nor were his dark days so dark as they once were.

He thought about the previous evening, about the time he had spent with Merry, Pippin, and Sam.

Sam had never been comfortable with Osanwe. Frodo thought back, with a little sadness, to the day Galadriel had tried their thoughts. "I felt like I hadn't any clothes on, and I didn't like it, " Sam had said. Sam's mind seemed sealed off to Frodo, and it grieved him; he longed for that barrier to come down, but he fought the longing even as he felt it.

Don't presume, he berated himself.

Merry's mind was open, and healthy, thought Frodo, reviewing Merry's war experiences. Two bouts of The Black Breath, one in Bree, from which he had recovered quickly; the second at Minas Tirith. Good old Strider had pulled him out of the shadows, using Osanwe. Merry remembered it, but it did not trouble him, as far as Frodo could tell.

He thought of standing on the edge of Pippin's thoughts and looking in. Pippin had welcomed him, nervous at first but then pleased, and comforted. Yet Frodo had sensed that all was not well. There was a darkened corner in Pippin's mind, a corner that held fear and troubled thoughts.

He wondered about that, and wondered if there was anything that he could do to help Pippin. He longed to; longed to be of some use, to accomplish something, to mend some of the damage he had helped cause in the first place. The discussion with Cami had brought back his own guilt about his friends' war wounds, and try as he might, the guilt niggled at him. Perhaps, he thought, I can help Pippin. I want to try.

They were drawing near the gate, and the children ran ahead, laughing and shouting. The boys headed into the garden and Rose and Elanor went through the front door, only to emerge immediately again as Sam came out.

Frodo hesitated, standing at the gate, and looked up to meet his friend's gaze.

Orual's post

"Sam! Frodo and the children are back...get up!"

Sam startled, and nearly dropped the hefty book he was reading when Rose called his name. "Don't forget to make him come in!" Rose shouted as he went to the door. He chuckled--make him come in? Rose made it sound like he would have to drag Frodo into Bag End, kicking and screaming. He stopped at a window by the door, and watched his children for a moment. They seemed to have had a good time. Rose and Elanor came in, and Sam smiled broadly at them. "You two seem to have enjoyed yourselves," he began, only to be interrupted by Rose.

"Elanor, Rosie, don't you let your father forget to invite Mr. Frodo in!" she called from the living room. Goldilocks came bursting out of the room as fast as her little legs could carry her, clamoring to be let in on the fun. Sam smiled at her, and she grabbed his legs and tried to trip him as he walked out the door. Rose and Elanor came out with him. "They all look like they've had a wonderful time, Mr. Frodo, thank you for taking them. I hope they weren't trouble?"

"No, not any trouble at all!" Frodo insisted, smiling at Rosie-lass as she showed a fully appreciative Goldilocks her frog. Goldi ooh-ed and aah-ed at all the appropriate spots. "We had a fine time."

"I'm glad," Sam said, and the conversation seemed to stop there. An awkward silence ensued, broken by Rose conveniently walking past with Hamfast and hissing "don't forget!" into Sam's ear.

Sam smiled at her, then turned back to Frodo. "Why don't you come in, Mr. Frodo? There's some tea that's almost ready, and I imagine that after taking care of this lot for an afternoon you're ready for something to eat!"

"They were very good," Frodo insisted, but he followed Sam into the hole.

Neither of them saw it, but Miz Rose was smiling as brightly as the midday sun in the room across the hall.

Sam led Frodo into the kitchen, and they sat down at the table as the tea-kettle bubbled behind them. There was a new resolution about Sam, and he dove right into the conversation, beginning by asking how Frodo was enjoying seeing the Shire again, and how his stay at the Inn was, and how Cami was now, it had been so long since Sam had seen her, wasn't she looking fine? Frodo answered all the questions that were posed to him in a lively fashion, though Sam could tell that he was wondering what on earth had come over his old friend to be attacking the conversation with such vigour.

Sam shook his head after he had finished a particularly involved set of questions, and set the tea steeping after the kettle began to sing. He gave Frodo a mug and set one before himself, and sat back down. There was a short silence, but instead of an awkward pause like the one outside, this one was more of a friendly quiet, accepted by both of them. "Thanks for coming over, Mr. Frodo," Sam said finally. "You know, you can drop in anytime as long as you're here. Somebody's always here, and I am a lot. There's a lot more paperwork to being a mayor than I had anticipated!" Sam laughed, and it trailed off to a smile. He looked up at Frodo. "Thank you, Mr. Frodo."

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #159
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Mithadan, of course! What is wrong with my head?

Cami ran out to tug at Pio's leggings, just as the Elf climbed onto Falmar's back "Mithadan? He's alright? I apologize for not asking earlier. My mind has been too busy with other things."

"Yes, he's at the Inn, resting up. A little bruised and battered from the journey, but otherwise fine." Pio was careful not to mention anything about the apple, how deeply suspicious the shirriff had been, or Bird's feeling that their own arrival was only a prelude to further trouble. Hopefully, Bird was wrong, and those problems would fade away so that she could concentrate her own attention on the needs of the twins.

Cami pressed with one more question. "Then tonight, Lorien can come back to sleep in the Inn?"

Pio nodded. "I don't see why not. If that's what he'd prefer, I won't stop him."

Before leaving, the Elf turned quizzically to her friend, "But Cami, you and Frodo and the children must have put in hours of work here." She nodded back in the direction of the burrow.

"Yes, it does look better, but it's too small for Lorien," Cami observed. He's always bumping his head on the rafters. I'm fairly certain he'd prefer the bigger beds in the Inn. In any case, we might find another use for the burrow. Lorien and I should be back in an hour or so. I'm looking forward to that stew. Also, speaking with Mithadan and seeing the look on his face when I first walk inside!"

Pio rode off in the direction of the Green Dragon, while Cami and Lorien began packing up a few belongings that needed to be taken back to the Inn. But Cami made sure that most of the household goods, along with all the food stored in the larder, were left behind in the burrow.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #160
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio skirted the pool to the West, stopping just at the line of trees as it touched near the water’s edge. She reined in ‘Falmar and dismounted. And taking the apple she had gotten from Lorien, she cut it in two. ‘Here,’ she said laughingly, ‘this is for you, for bearing me here today and listening to my tortuous reasonings on the nature of forgiveness. Always the good listener, eh?!’ ‘Falmar dipped her head once, then took the proffered treat gently, her greedy lips engulfing the slice with only the briefest of soft contact between them and the Elf’s trusting fingers.

Stepping carefully over the loose stones that lined the bank of the pool, Pio crouched down for a moment, trailing her hand in the water. On a flat rock, nearly submersed at the pool’s edge she laid the other half of the apple. A curious group of water fowl drew near, eager to see what had been left. Wary enough, they kept a distance still between themselves and her, calling irritatedly for her to leave. She dipped her hands in the waters once more and clapped them together, delighting in the bright jewels that sailed out from them, lit up by the westering sun.

‘And this is for you, little masters.’ She pushed the apple nearer the edge of the rocky surface, as the birds watched her, silent now. ‘Tell the One who never abandoned us, I thank him. But for my thoughts of him, I would never have bent my stiff neck to the other.’ She pushed the apple into the shallows of the water and withdrew, watching the birds as they raced to the offering.

Mounting ‘Falmar, she returned to the Inn, hastening, once there, through the familiar door and into the welcoming cheer of the Common Room . . .