User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2003, 01:01 AM   #201
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Supper was ready – Cook’s honeyed wheat bread sliced and waiting in small baskets; the salted butter in chilled crocks. Harvest stew tonight, thick with chunks of potato and vegetables from the garden. The mingled scents of onion, rosemary, and lemon thyme crept through the kitchen, sending beckoning fingers of savory scent into the Common Room to call the guests to eat. Several plump, sweet apple pies cooled on the sideboard, little puffs of cinnamon and sugared steam drifting up from them, a promise of delight to fill in the last empty corners.

Cook sat at the table, her job done, watching Ruby and Buttercup cart stacks of thick crockery bowls and plates out in readiness for the supper rush. Prim sat with her, polishing the last of the water spots from the spoons and knives. Buttercup paused by the large cauldron of stew and gave it a quick stir with the long wooden spoon. She peered in at it, and fished up a few spoons full, looking at it closely. ‘Cook, you’ve for gotten something I think.’

‘What would that be?’ Cook took a long swig of watered wine and put her tired feet up on the chair opposite her. ‘Meat!’ cried Buttercup, motioning Ruby over to confirm her find. ‘There’s not a speck of meat in it.’

‘And that’s exactly how it’s going to be served tonight,’ said Cook, ‘just the way Mistress Piosenniel would like it, had she been here to enjoy a bowl full.’ She looked over at Prim, her brows raised. ‘You going to tell him where she is?’ asked Cook. ‘I suppose I will if he asks me,’ returned Prim. 'She seems to like him well enough. And he does seem a good man at heart, if you catch my drift.’

‘Oh, aye, he’s a good’un in my estimation. Though I have to agree with Miz Amaranthas – he should never have let her come traipsing all the way here in her condition.’ Both of them chuckled at this statement, knowing he would have been hard put to keep her from doing what she wanted. Ruby and Buttercup, their chores done, sat down with them in that brief lull before the hungry guests demanded supper to listen to Cook and Prim discuss the Big Folk.

They were all eyes and ears as Cook leaned forward and spoke softly to Prim. ‘Ferdibrand was by today with a side of bacon from that big hog he got last year, and just butchered. Said he’d been to Bree-land recently looking for a breeder sow from one of the pig farmers there.’ Prim nodded, encouraging her to go on. ‘Said there was a lot of talk about certain Big Folk round about those parts who were grumbling and angry about how they’d been pushed about wrongly since the King’s Ban on them coming into the Shire. Crazy,mean talk about us cheating them out of their rightful due somehow.’ Ruby shuddered,her mind conjuring up visions of Men, seven feet tall with pointed yellow teeth, scraggly long, greasy hair, loud voices and mean expressions on their faces.

‘I wonder if Halfred knows about any of this,’ commented Prim. ‘Maybe he’d better see if he can find a few more volunteers to patrol round the Bounds. I can still remember old Sharkey’s men when they lorded it over us.’ She shuddered, recalling the misery and destruction visited on the families she knew in Hobbiton.

Their talk was cut short by one of the servers poking his head into the kitchen. ‘Got some hungry ones out here. Make up a tray and I’ll serve it round.’

The four of them swung into their well oiled routine, and soon had an army of steaming bowls set out on trays to carry into the Common Room. All talk of Men and their threats was put aside as bread and stew, and thick slices of apple pie with slices of crumbly cheddar were served up to the hungry mob.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-15-2003, 01:04 AM   #202
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merry's eyes sparkled a pleasantly-surprised greeting as he strode up and presented himself with a smile and a jaunty bow to Pio and Rose. "Good day to you both! Mine's certainly become better on finding you here. Seeing your familiar faces makes the Floating Log feel more like home. How are you?"

"Join us, Merry." Pio waved an expansive gesture of welcome towards a nearby chair. "So good to see you again after the party at the Green Dragon. Rose and I are making for two separate destinations. Depending on where the road takes you, you might be able to lend us a hand ... holding the reins of a pony cart that is! But where's Estella? It would have been nice having another opportunity to see your wife again."

"Estella's at home in Brandy Hall. I'm on my way to Bag End for a little get-together, lads only." Merry grinned in between bites of the chicken stew with mushroom gravy and biscuits and sips of the beer he'd ordered. "Had I thought of it sooner, I would have loaned Estella my mail-shirt and shield, so's she could have snuck in with me as if she were Dernhelm. But alas, the idea has come too late."

Rose and Merry and Pio shared a laugh, then Pio looked thoughtfully between Rose and Merry. "Bag End, this could work out well ... I wonder if I may ask a favor ... "

Merry chuckled, playfully handing Rose his shield as if to loan it to the child, then pretended as if he were about to remove his mail shirt. Rose loosely grasped the shield, tracing its white-horse design with her fingers.

Pio smiled and continued. "I was hoping you might carry Rose with you as far as Bywater, and see her safely to Miss Cami at The Green Dragon."

Merry, who was in rare form, stroked his chin, considering. "Well now, ever since that Entdraught in Fangorn Forest I'm nearly as large as a pony. But if I'm to carry Rose all that way, I draw the line at wearing a saddle." Settling into a more serious tone, he finished, "Why yes, of course Rose is welcome to accompany me in my pony cart to The Green Dragon Inn. I'll be happy to take her. You're heading East then, Pio? If it's on your way, please, stop in and say hello to Estella. Tell her to do plenty of baking while she awaits my return!"

Merry's eyes glinted and he spoke no further to explain his last cryptic remarks about Estella and baking, though of course he was thinking about how she'd discover the poem he'd left her in the flour canister. For now a band of wandering musicians was striking up a rousing rendition of the springle-ring. Taking up his shield from Rose, he leaned it against his chair. Merry bowed his best long, low bow to Piosenniel in respect of the happy new arrival of life she was expecting, then turned and extended a hand to her traveling companion. "May I have this dance, young Rose?"

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 03-15-2003, 02:42 AM   #203
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"Up the ladder?"
"You can climb trees, can't you? Up you go."

Once the four of them were up, the three boys explored the nooks and crannies; but Lindo sat on the edge of the loft above Mithadan's horse, swinging his legs (although his knuckles gripping the beam were white) and casually talking to the horse.

"What's your name, old fellow?"

The horse snorted, and Lindo nodded. "Sorry. Middle-aged fellow. But what's your name?"

The horse went back to his hayrack, and Lindo watched him eat. When he finished, Lindo left the boys busy conspiring, and went back down the ladder, and into the stall with the horse. When Mith came to check on his mount before retiring, he heard the Snowhobbits talking and laughing up in the loft, but he found Lindo snoring in a corner of the stall.

"You're not going to sleep here all night, are you?" Mithadan asked.

"Bad idea, " Lindo agreed, and moved to the empty stall next door. But he gave Mith's horse a caress on the way out, and said, "See you in the morning, friend."

"Good night, " Mithadan said.

"Oh... sorry. Rude of me. Yes, good night, " Lindo yawned.

"Are you going to share this stall with Gamba?" Mithadan asked.

"What? Oh, it's you."

"We can sleep outside, " Gamba replied, irritated, reaching for his boys.

"My braids won't strangle you if you keep a safe distance. There's room enough, I think. " Lindo yawned again, waving Gamba and the boys into the stall.

Gamba frowned, Mithadan laughed, and Lindo lay down and resumed snoring.

"Go on, there's plenty of room, " Mithadan said. "Or take the other stall."

"We'll be all right here, " Gamba said, and eyeing Lindo cautiously, led his boys to the other side of the stall.

Mithadan was still chuckling on his way out of the stable. The boys curled up around Gamba, who tried to stay awake, but his eyelids were too heavy. In his dreams, he heard voices at first, and soft snickering.

"Dad's braids won't strangle him, but ours might."

"Tem, you hold him, I'll wrap your braids around him, and Tocca, you pull."

"Nah. We'd better be nice."

"Why?"

"So the little kids don't get scared."

"Oh. You sure can wreck a good joke."

"Dad would wreck it worse if we scared those little kids."

"Good point."

At that point in Gamba's dream, the Snowhobbits turned into shirriffs on ponies. Mithadan stood accused, Gamba swung, the Shirriff swung back, and Cami got clobbered again. The dream went downhill from there.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #204
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The sun was dipping behind the horizon when Ban woke up from his nap. Zira and Azra had also fallen asleep and were still curled up close against his side. "Papa, papa, I'm hungry." Abar grabbed onto his father's wrist and was trying to get him to rise. "Do you have any food?"

Ban sat up, his head still groggy and eyes full of sleep. He pushed his hands into his pockets, and came upon a small scrap of bread that he'd stuffed there earlier in the day from a picnic they'd been having. Abar tore greedily at the crust, then looked over at his father, "I'm still hungry. Is there anything more?"

Ban gently shook Zira, so that she awoke. The two hobbits glanced around at the deepening twilight, discussing what to do next. "I don't think we're meant to be here. Something must have happened," Zira objected.

"Papa, there's a path. I saw it when you slept." The small boy grabbed his father by the arm and led him to a dirt path. Since they were on the extreme eastern edge of the pond, which was thickly shaded with trees, it was impossible for them to see the houses or the lights of the Inn that stood further west.

"Zira, I think the lad's right. We've no food or blankets for the children. We can't stay here all night. That path seems to lead down to some kind of roadway to the east. Perhaps, we'll come to an Inn or house, and can make inquiries about Maura."

"I agree. We don't seem to have much choice."

The family headed east on the road leading away from Bywater towards Frogmorton, a small village some ten miles distant.

Back in the Inn, Maura and Cami had eaten their dinner in near silence, sitting and worrying, as they still had no news of Rose or Zira.

Cami had tried to enlist Gamba's aid, but he had merely shrugged his shoulders and run off with his brothers. "Mom, she probably just stayed with Annee. Maybe she didn't want to come." Cami didn't think that was likely. Rose had every reason to return to the Shire, at least for a visit. It was familiar turf to her, and she would probably see friends she knew.

Cami watched as Gamba and the boys melted into the twilight without even bothering to say good night. She knew she should talk with Gamba about Maura, but she didn't have the heart to do it tonight. She wanted to speak with Maura about the serious problems she'd been having with the children. But that, too, should probably wait.

Maura paced restlessly around the Common Room, and finally spoke to Mithadan. "Maybe I should go looking for them?"

The Man shook her head. "Bird is still out searching. She's good at this kind of thing. She may well find them. And you might ask Lorien again."

"I've done that, but he swears they'll be fine."

"Then they probably will. Let's wait and see what happens. You know Maura. The Shire is a sleepy place. Not too much goes on here. The worst that can happen is that they'll go hungry, and have a stony bed for one night. If we need to, we'll look tomorrow."

"Alright, I'll wait. I know you didn't let Cami down before."

Then Cami and Maura went off on their own, and gave each other such comfort as they could manage.

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-15-2003, 12:20 PM   #205
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin turned away from the door. Another invitation to another gathering, though this one seemed more private. He read through the invitation, asking for food and drink to be brought, he should be able to come up with something. He spoke with Diamond and she was perfectly happy to look after Faramir for that evening.

Pippin got a small cart ready, filling it with what food he could find and could spare, and a barrel or two. He also loaded a crate of pipeweed onto it, knowing that Merry had been wanting to try it for some time. Faramir wandered out side and foung his father readying to leave, just sorting out the pony. "Where are you going?" He asked, nobody ever told him anything. "I," said Pippin, turning to face his son, "Am going to Bag End."
"Why?" asked Faramir, wanting to find out as mch as possible. Pippin knelt down to Faramir's level and said "I'm going to visit Sam, Merry, Frodo and Bilbo." Faramir's eyes lit up at the mention of these four names, "Can I come?" he pushed, dearly wanting to see them all again, he had enjoyed himself very much in the Green Dragon. "I'm not sure you would enjoy yourself Faramir, we'll be talking about lots of boring adult things."
"What do you mean by 'adult things'?" said Faramir, a little annoyed that his father hadn't said 'yes' strait away. "Well," began Pippin, "We might talk about how well the corn has been growing this year, or what direction the wind is blowing in, or even about the price of a barrel of mead if we're going to be really adventurous." Faramir looked down at the ground, he was very dissapointed, he'd been expecting tales of far off lands and stories of exciting battles.

Pippin urged him to go back to his mother. He smiled to himself as he watch Faramir scamper back up the garden path, yet he felt slightly guilty that he hadn't been entirely truthful.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:51 PM   #206
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

You little night owls have robbed me of my sleep once again!

Pio shifted once more on the chair, her feet propped on the windowsill. Between the twins’ pummeling and nudging and Rose’s long list of questions, she had not much if any time for sleep. The sun was just rising, the shadows of the trees outside her window sent long fingers of shadow reaching westward. Good smells, of crusty breakfast loaves, first baking and now cooling, had been floating up from the kitchen below since the wee hours of the new day, enticing her as they drifted in through the open window.

Hungry, Pio rose and pulled on fresh clothes for the day. Rose was still sleeping soundly, her brown curls just peeking above the coverlet. ‘Wake up, Rose,’ she called softly to her, and shook her on the shoulder. ‘I must be off soon, and you will have to meet Merry in the Common Room and be on your way to Cami.’

Rose sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and yawning. Pio pulled on her cloak and stuffed the last of her things into her scuffed leather pack. Rose smiled, thinking how that pack had been a familiar sight to her ever since she and Cami had first met their shipmates. The Elf drew out a small leather purse and filled it with two gold coins and a number of silver pennies. She laid it on the chair which held Rose’s clothes.

‘This should get you through your stay in the Shire. The boys are waiting there for you. Buy them some treats if you will, and some for you. I will pay for the lodging and your breakfast as well as Merry’s. I will talk to him briefly just before I go, to let him know you await him downstairs.’ She gave a reassuring hug to the wide-eyed Rose. ‘Should he not be able to take you for some unseen reason, then use part of the coins to hire a cart and pony. The Green Dragon is only a little way west on this main road, in Bywater.’

Rose’s eyes lit up at the mention of Bywater, and old memories played behind her eyes. ‘Give my greetings to Cami,’ she continued, ‘when you return. And to the staff at the Green Dragon – Prim, Cook, Ruby, Buttercup, and Hob. Tell them you are a close friend of mine.’ She looked away for a moment. ‘And let Mithadan know I am fine, and will return in time for the babies to be born.’

Pio stood, gathering her cloak about her and picked up her pack. A soft knock on Merry’s door and a few whispered words when he answered, then she was down the stairs. She paid the Innkeeper, and asked for a skin of fresh water, a loaf of that tasty smelling bread, and a few apples to be brought to her.

Merimas had just finished feeding the horses when Pio entered the stable, stuffing the cloth filled with her food into the top of her pack. She fished out a silver penny and flipped it to him. His hand went up quickly and snatched the tumbling coin from the air. A few moments later and ‘Falmar was saddled and bridled, and Pio clambered on to her.

‘My thanks to you for taking such good care of ‘Falmar’ She grinned down at Merimas. ‘And ‘Falmar thanks you, also!’ She flipped another coin to him, laughing as it spiraled, glinting in the morning light, toward his eager fingers. Then they were down the road, and heading east again.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-15-2003, 07:37 PM   #207
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Ban and Zira had trudged eastward for several miles, with Abar on his father's back, and Azra in a sling across her mother's chest. There were no other hobbits in sight, and no food to be had other than an occasional berry that grew by the road.

The couple sat down to rest under a bush, listening to the noises of a summer's night. The river was just a few paces behind them, and Abar had asked to go down on his own to get a drink.

"Be careful, Abar," his mother warned.

"He'll be fine, Zira. The river's no more than a foot deep."

To his son, he added, "Make sure to stay near the shore."

The boy nodded and darted away. Leaning over and using his hand as a scoop, he brought the water up to his lips, doing this several times. It was then that he caught sight of a bird, black with a small streak of white. She was perched on the ground near him, her head cocked sideways and staring. She looked hauntingly familiar.

"Mama! Papa!" His parents came running to his side to find out what was wrong.

"Look, I found Cami's bird. She's come to get us. Maybe she knows the way."

His mother bent down to have a look. Without warning, the bird hopped onto Zira's shoulder, and, to her surprise, spoke in a voice that registered mild annoyance, "I know you're not Rose, so I hope you're Zira. I'm tired of poking my beak into the business of every hobbit within a twenty-mile radius of Hobbiton."

"Yes, I'm Zira. Where's my brother?"

"Just follow me. Unless there's been another blow-up, and Maura's taken off with Cami, they should be at the Inn."

Bird said nothing as she flew westward, stopping now and then to perch on a limb, making sure her guests were following. Only once did they stop for a rest. Ban slipped over beside Bird, and whispered, "Are there any large wild animals near here?"

"Wild animals? Not that I know of. Why do you ask?"

"That's strange. I swore I saw two pairs of eyes in the bushes about a half mile back. They were a good six feet off the ground."

Bird gave him a strange look. "Hmpf! Probably your imagination." They continued on with no further conversation until they reached the Inn.

It was Maura who first raced to the door of the Inn to greet his sister and her family. Zira had met him with a kiss, while Abar had flown into his uncle's arms with a warm hug. Upon seeing Cami, Zira had slipped her arms around her shoulders, saying how she had been missed.

"I have a room on the first floor, second door on the left. We can all fit there. You and Ban share the bed. I've had sleeping mats put in and a cradle for Azraph."

"And Nitir?"

"Best call her Cami here. She's next door. The rooms adjoin, and there's a door that connects. Cami's found a small burrow over by the pond, and we plan to go over there perhaps tomorrow morning or the next. We'll wait till later to have a formal ceremony, after her friend's given birth." He went on to explain what had happened to Piosenniel, and how she had come to be with Cami.

"Your daughter, Cami, will she be staying in the room?"

"I hope so. We're still waiting for her to arrive." A shadow of concern passed over Cami's face. "I expect she's gotten misplaced just as you did. My boys are out in the barn."

Maura hastily explained, "Cami's adopted several boys. Orphans. From when she was on the Star. I haven't really had a chance to meet them yet."

Zira turned and smiled, "That's wonderful. Older boys, I guess. If they're sleeping out in the barn."

"Not exactly.... One is five, and the other seven."

Zira's face registered surprise, although she tried to mask it. "They're not here with you."

"No, they're with their older brothers."

"Mama, can I go too?" Abar piped up.

Zira turned to her son, and told him to hush. "They'll be time enough to grow up later. You belong here, with us, now."

"Alright." Abar impulsively threw his arms around his mother's neck, and snuggled close to her. Cami looked away and shifted uneasily, then excused herself, and went off to her room, carefully securing the latch.

It was about an hour later that Maura heard the sounds of stifled weeping from next door. "Cami. It's Maura," he whispered, fidgeting with the handle, "Please open up."

"I'm fine." The small voice came back lined with untold grief, a grief that had persisted for weeks and months.

"Cami, please. We need to talk."

He heard the sound of footsteps padding to the door, and watched the handle turn. Cami's eyes were red and puffy, as if she'd been crying for a while. She bit her lip to will the tears back, and turned away.

"Cami, my sister didn't mean to hurt you. I'm really sorry. It's just that our ways are, are .....different."

"Your ways are different? Well, so are mine. Where I come from, small children stay with their parents, young lads do not belt the shirriff, or make rude comments to other boys."

She looked up and stared at Maura's face. He had clearly heard the same rumors she had.

"Most of all, where I come from, children love their parents. The little ones come snuggling into bed with them to receive hugs and stories, and the older ones try to do things so they'll be proud. And if a parent lays down a rule, that rule is respected."

"You know, I think I could take anything else. The broken windows and the black eye really mean nothing. It's the part about not caring that hurts."

"Lindo's children cling to him like a burr. Abar darts to you with open arms. But my children....my children run off without a hug, without a word. The little ones didn't bother to say hello or good night. They want nothing from me, except the food I put on their plates. I am a mother in name alone. Only Rose.... She's different, but she's not here."

"I've had dreams. Strange dreams. The boys go far away, all of them except Kesha. He stays behind because of Rose. But for me there is nothing....nothing." Her voice was deep with bitterness. "I feel they take and take and take, and rarely give."

Maura slipped his arm around Cami, and pulled her close to his chest. She finally gave way to sobs, her shoulders heaving, and the tears running down her cheeks.

He thought of a dozen things he could say, things he'd learned from his talks with Bilbo. How the boys had been orphaned and had seen terrible things; how the brothers relied so much on each other; how they had many things that needed sorting out; and how you had to accept people as they were, taking what you could and leaving the rest. Perhaps Cami would deal with it better, if she had friends in Greenwood, or kin, or a husband, or a young child who loved her without reservation. But, except for Rose, there were none of these.

Yet, even to Maura, these explanations sounded like hollow excuses. Some of the things Cami had said seemed painfully true. He might be able to understand the independent actions of the older ones. But to have small children tromp off on their own without a single glance at their mother to hear a bedtime story, to ask permission or get her reassurance..... Something was very wrong.

Cami raised her head, and whispered, "I hoped it would be different here. That's why I asked Lorien to bring them. But it's not different at all. It's just the same."

"I feel they would be better off with some other family. Someone who could give them what they need. Perhaps when I get back, I'll speak with the elders and see if something can be arranged."

"Don't do that," he whispered fiercely. "Don't give up."

But he realized with a pang that he could not say the two things that would actually have done some good. That he would be there by her side to help and perhaps, Eru willing, they would have a child of their own to even out the balance, and set the sorrow and the leaving in some perspective.

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-15-2003, 09:03 PM   #208
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mithadan came to look in on his horse, and found Gamba miserably loitering in the stable aisle with his boys. Lindo and his boys were in eating breakfast already.

"Mithadan, can you take my boys in to Pio's building and get them some food? Please?" Gamba vehemently begged as soon as he saw the man.

"You can go in, " Mith replied.

"I can't, " Gamba said. "The window. Mom is going to be so upset."

Mith's eyebrows went way up.

"I can't fix it, " Gamba pleaded. "I -- I'd have to find an axe, cut down a tree, make the boards, then make the part that goes around the clear stuff-- and-- and I can't make the clear window part, I don't know how, " he wailed in despair. "She keeps telling me to be more responsible, and look what I've done! And to Piosenniel's house, of all people. Is--" Gamba gulped. "Mithadan, is it your house too? Did I break a part of your house too?"

Mithadan reached down, and simply picked Gamba up. "I think we need to go and find your mother, " he said. "Boys, don't you want something to eat?"

"Mith--" Gamba pleaded. "Put me down."

"Food for the boys, and you're going to talk to your mother, " Mithadan said firmly. "That's that. Now, you can walk, or I can carry you into the Inn-- Like this."

"I'll walk, " Gamba said, miserably.

"No bolting."

"No, sir."

"Chin up."

"Yes, sir."

"All right. March."

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-16-2003, 12:21 AM   #209
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura leaned over the breakfast table, giving a kiss to his sister, and then sat down to eat.

"Where's Cami?

"She's gone off for a walk, and has asked me to speak with Gamba."

"I thought maybe you'd go off to the pond at sunrise, and set up housekeeping in that burrow."

"It's not a good time. Cami's still worried about Rose not being here. That, and other things."

"I upset her, didn't I?" Zira pressed. "What I said about her younger children."

Maura corrected her gently, "Their names are Maura and Ban. Anyway, it's not you. She's upset with her family and with herself."

Maura shook his head and continued, "In all those Elvish tales, children never enter into it. You never hear about them. It's as if they raise themselves. But, with us, it's different. When something comes between a hobbit parent and a child, it can be so, .....so painful."

He looked over at the blank wall, and stared hard at it. "In all the while we've been apart, I've never felt this bad. There's so little time. I don't know what I can do."

"We had a long talk last night. Cami would prefer that she and I leave the Inn, and go off on our own. She says she'll deal with the rest when she returns to Greenwood. I know she can't go on like this."

Zira placed her hand on top of Maura's. "You're my brother, and I trust you. Whatever you do, I'll accept. But those children are part of Cami's life now. Neither of you can pretend they're not. If you marry Cami, they become your family too. Think about that."

It was at this moment that Gamba came marching in, prodded on by Mithadan, with the other four boys dragging reluctantly behind.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-16-2003, 04:27 AM   #210
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Well, that's the last one.' Amaranthas put down her watering can and plucked a fat, blue hydrangea blossom for her hat. She had gotten up early and hitched Thistle to the long unused cart, planning to go down to the Inn to see Cook. Miz Rose and the children would be paying her a visit tomorrow evening, and she wanted to make sure she had some of Cook's famous jam tarts to serve them.

Thistle twitched his ears as the old Hobbit climbed into the cart, and spoke to him. ‘Let’s get on down the road, old man. I want to be to the Dragon and back before the sun gets too high in the sky. I’d just as soon be under the shade of the oak tree in the back yard than rolling down the dusty road in the noon heat.’ She flicked the reins lightly as she spoke, sending the pony in motion.

There were many Hobbits out and about on early morning business as she turned the cart down Hill Lane to Bywater Road. They stopped and stared, their mouths gaping at this unusual sight. Amaranthas in her pony cart, a bright blue flower stuck gaily in her straw hat, waving as she passed them, a smile on her face. ‘She’s gone mad in her old age,’ they would later say to their families and neighbors. ‘She hasn’t been out in that old cart for years, and there she was sitting like some Queen on her way to an important meeting, smiling and waving as she passed.’

Amaranthas cackled to herself as she passed by each group of staring Hobbits. ‘Keeps ‘em on their toes, don’t it?’ she cried to Thistle. ‘Thick-headed louts need a little twist in their routine, don’t they?’ Plump little Thistle, if he could be said to think at all about what she said, was probably grieving, even now, at the fact he was having to put out this much energy and effort so early in the morning.

Hob saw her as she pulled into the Inn yard, and ran to bring the pony near the kitchen door. ‘That’s a good lad,’ she said to him, as he helped her from the cart. He escorted her to the door and ushered her into the cool interior of the kitchen, then went to take care of Thistle.

‘Miz Amaranthas, what brings you here to the Inn?’ Cook came up, wiping her floury hands on her apron and had the old Hobbit sit down at the table. ‘Buttercup, bring her a cup of tea and a fresh scone. If you don’t mind Miz Amaranthas, I’m just going to finish my berry pies for the day and set them to baking. Then I’ll join you.’

Amaranthas sat quietly, enjoying her snack, watching Cook roll out the pastry dough and fit it into fluted pans, fill it with heaping portions of blackberries and huckleberries, and set a pastry top on it, marked with a wheat stalk pattern. Prim had come in, her early morning duties seen to and sat down with the Old Hobbit. Cook, her pies now slid into the ovens, also joined them.

The trio soon fell to gossiping, with Prim and Cook filling Amaranthas in on all that had transpired yesterday. She was aghast at the behavior of the young Hobbits. ‘And you say Miz Pio has left? Will she back tomorrow, do you know?’ Prim and Cook looked at one another. Prim spoke up, ‘I don’t think so. She means to stay out of this whole mess until it’s blown over.’ Amaranthas tapped her fingers on the table, impatiently. ‘I was hoping she would come to the party.’

‘Party?’ asked Cook. Amaranthas explained Bilbo’s request to her and the plans he had made for the party of his own. ‘That brings me round to why I’ve come. I wanted to get some of those delicious little jam tarts you make to serve when Miz Rose and the children come.’ ‘Done!’ said Cook. ‘In fact I’ll do you one better. Don’t you worry at all about what to serve them. Let me and the girls fix it up and we’ll send it up to you with Hob. Crisp fried chicken, I’m thinking. And tater salad. Corn on the cob, dripping with butter. A few loaves of crusty bread, and a jar of Gammer Nutmeg’s honey.’

‘No trouble at all,’ said Prim, as Amaranthas protested that would be too much for them to do. ‘You get some of the boys who live around you to help set up some tables in your backyard, and let us bring the meal and all the fixin’s to you. Enjoy the party and don’t wear yourself out getting ready for it.’

A few more bits and pieces of gossip were exchanged. Amaranthas thanked them for their offer, saying she would see Hob then, early tomorrow evening. She climbed back on board her cart, and with a cluck of her tongue, they were off home.

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-16-2003, 02:49 PM   #211
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stoatie shoved a pounding head under the tap of the water pump in the yard. A couple of sharp yanks upon the lever finally brought ice-cold water coursing out over him. He shouted a wordless yell but did not move. A few more rhythmic soakings and he ceased. He stood up and stretched out.

He had spent the night in the ditch just outside Bree. That was no inconvenience to him. It happened with dull monontony. The hangover blasted away by the pump from the spring was an almost daily routine. There was just the small matter of remembering the night before and everything would slide into place as it always did.

He stood there, thinking. His face, somewhat like the last, forgotten potato in the sack was further wrinkled with his thoughts. He bit at a nail that was coal-black. "Ah could do with a cuppa," he said aloud to no one in particular. "Na, too much trouble." He retrieved a bottle from his filthy coat pocket. It was all but empty. "Oh well, this'll have to do me." He unscrewed the top and 'knocked back' the remainder of the yellowish liquid inside. With little care for the hooves of animals he cast the bottle aside upon the cobbles of the yard. It shattered. The loud noise on an otherwise eerily quiet morn almost made him jump.

He swore under his breath. "Ah remembers, that's it. Best find the Boss. Ah remembers exactly what's required of us today." He allowed himself a little chortle. "Now, where did I leave him?"

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #212
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Amaranthas turned the cart west from Hill Lane, and headed throught the gate, taking the short upward path to Bag End. She could see Elanor and the smaller children were already out on the greensward playing some sort of tag game with Elanor as referee. Little Rose had just barely escaped the clutches of Merry and was running pell mell for the safety of Elanor’s skirts. The old Hobbit waved as she passed them, and they paused in their game to wave back then scampered quickly after her to see what she had come for.

‘I’ll get Mama,’ cried Rosie, darting away up the steps and in through the door. Elanor assisted Amaranthas from the cart, while Merry and Pippin stood by, patting Thistle on the nose. A chorus of giggles broke out as Amaranthas stepped up to the porch, and she turned to see the cause of their laughter.

Thistle’s fat tongue was in the process of making a slurping swath up the cheek of young Pippin who laughed at the wet tickle of it, while Merry giggled at him, and Goldi shrieked with laughter, clapping her pudgy little hands in delight. ‘He likes me, Miz Amaranthas!’ called Pip, as she chortled at the sight. Young Merry poked his brother and rolled his eyes. ‘You mean he likes the strawberry jam you left on your face from second breakfast!’ Goldi, by this time, had fished a linty piece of apple from the pocket of her pinafore and was holding it out for inspection to the pony.

Amaranthas heard a gasp behind her, and turned toward the door to see MIz Rose with a horrified look on her face as Thistle’s great teeth approached the toddler’s fingers. ‘He’s gentle, Miz rose. Don’t you worry about your little one’s fingers.’ She nodded toward the pony who now curled his lips back and lightly plucked the treat from Goldi’s fingers. Golldi hopped up and down with glee and searched furiously through her pockets for any more edible treasures.

‘Let’s go in, dear and sit for a minute. You look like you need to get off your feet.’ Amaranthas commandeered Rose’s arm and steered her toward the parlour. ‘Fetch your Mother something cool to drink, won’t you girls?’ she asked Elanor and Rosie, as she took the chair opposite Rose. ‘I want to talk over my plans to have her and you children over tomorrow evening.’ She leaned forward toward Rose. ‘And if you don’t mind Miz rose, I’d like to see if Frodo-lad can come over this afternoon and help get the tables and chairs set up for us all in my back yard.’

Elanor and Rose returned with tall glasses of cool tea for the both of them, and the two women fell to talking about tomorrow’s events. Elanor and Rosie sat down quietly by their mother’s chair, listening closely. Miz Rose assured her guest that Frodo-lad would be over, and with the wagon. ‘We have a trestle table he can bring to you, and some chairs, too. Though I think it will probably be only the adults who sit on them. If I know my brood, they will relish the thought of dragging their plates off to sit on the grass by themselves.’

‘Hey!’ cried Rosie, standing up to get their full attention. ‘I can help, too.’ A scuffling was heard in the doorway as young Merry and Pip poked their heads round the doorway. ‘We’re coming too!’ they scuttled in to stand with pleading faces by their mother’s chair. ‘We want to help. We’re big enough!’ Amaranthas laughed as little Pippin puffed up his chest like a partridge and flexed his scrawny, four year old arms.

‘We’ll see,’ came the noncommittal answer from Rose. ‘Now if you all will escort Miz Amaranthas back to her cart, then we’ll talk about who is going where.’
Old 03-16-2003, 03:19 PM   #213
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The night passed slowly as Rose drifted in and out of dreams; spending most of her time listening restlessly to the chorus of crickets singing gustily outside her window. Every now and then, a shock and thrill would run through her and she would sit very still, thinking of the next morning or of the tales she would tell her friend when she returned. But that, of course, brought up questions of how long she was to stay in the Shire, and why she had been brought here in the first place, which simply sent her mind into a whirl once more. Finally managing to cast these uncomfortable thoughts aside, the young hobbit managed to capture a few hours of peaceful sleep in the wee hours of dawn.

After Pio had departed (only later did Rose realize the Elf had conviently left her own destination a mystery,) it was a very reluctant hobbit indeed who slipped from between the warm covers. Even on a cool summer day that held the promise of much adventure and a pleasant companion, a soft bed is still hard to leave. Rose was accustomed to rising early, however, and she forced herself out with minimal groaning and mumbled complaints. Her moans turned quickly into a smile as she remembered the pack Pio had left for her; fresh clothes and a bit of money! “That woman never misses a thing,” Rose thought with an admiring shake of her brown curls.

Dressed in a very proper, clean skirt and blouse and with wild curls brushed into some form of submission, Rose found her way into the common room which was already quite bustling with activity. Quiet Shire goings-on were being discussed by a pair of old hobbits in a corner, while another younger group was holding a spirited discussion over the ban of men from their home. Delicious smells wafted from the kitchen door and as Rose faintly remembered Pio mentioning something about breakfast, and as her stomach was asking quite audibly to be fed, and as Merry did not yet seem present, she decided to investigate if the food here was as good as she had once heard rumored.

A few moments later, she was munching happily on a few strings of crispy bacon arranged neatly inside a warm biscuit with scrambled eggs and, of course, fried mushrooms to the side. Rose listened half heartedly to the group beside her, but most of her thoughts were fixed on the day to come, and wishing she would get to the Green Dragon so Cami would explain what in Middle-earth was going on!

Just as the last vestiges of breakfast were being gobbled up, Rose spotted Merry’s tall figure standing quite head and shoulders above the other company. He was greeted respectfully by all, and Rose blushed to see his eyes light upon her with a smile. Merry came right over, and poor Rose found herself almost intimidated by the full extent of his physical and celebrated historical stature. His eyes smiled quite merrily down upon her, however, and gave her enough courage to smile back and greet him with a polite, “Good morning, Master Merry.”

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 03-16-2003, 04:15 PM   #214
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It took the morning and into the early afternoon for Pio to reach Bucklebury, with only a short stop for ‘Falmar to drink at a pool of clear water she had spied from the road. At the Brandywine river, they had passed over the Bridge of Stonebows, and then turned south through the Hay Gate and into Buckland.

Pio found the residents of this area of the Shire less surprised at seeing an Elf pass through. And she found them quite willing to help her find her way to Brandy Hall. One in fact, Ilberic Bracegirdle, was bound for Brandy Hall on some business with the Master’s hostler, and invited her to ride along with him. He eyed ‘Falmar as he spoke. ‘Of course you’ll have to go a little slower, my mount won’t match the pace I’m sure yours can set.’

It was a pleasant ride with Ilberic on the path along the river. He was a horse and pony breeder in the area, and was going down to Brandy Hall to check on some new born foals, the father of which had been one of his herd. ‘Yes, a fine looking grey colt and a little black filly with a white blaze. Master Meriadoc wants to keep the colt, and I will be taking the filly when she is old enough.’ He looked appraisingly at ‘Falmar. ‘If you don’t mind me asking, that’s a horse from Rohan, isn’t she? A beauty, too, if I say so myself.’ He looked inquiringly at the Elf. ‘How long are you staying at Brandy Hall? It would be interesting to see what her sort of bloodlines could introduce to our horses.’ Pio smiled, thanking him for the compliments to ‘Falmar, and then explained that she meant to stay only a few days at the most. His face fell at her answer and he commented wistfully that her departure was their loss.

It was Estella who answered the door when Pio knocked. Her hair was pulled back from her face, and she wore a great white apron round her. Her eyes went wide with surprise as she saw the elf standing on her doorstep, but gracious hostess that she was, she recovered herself quickly and invited Pio in. ‘What brings you to Buckland, Mistress Piosenniel.’ She was polite enough not to ask where her husband might be.

Pio told her she needed some quiet time away from the tumult of the Green Dragon, but nothing more. She did mention that at her stay at the Floating Log she had seen Merry and had supper with him. Estella smiled with delight at the mention of her husband.

‘But I see you are just going to do some cooking, Miz Estella.’ Pio noted the apron and the set of measuring cups hastily jammed into one pocket. ‘Yes, some muffins for afternoon tea. You’ll stay won’t you? In fact, with Merry gone the house is a little lonely. Could I get you to stay for a few days until he returns?’ ‘You’ve read my mind,’ laughed Pio, as they entered the large kitchen.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-16-2003, 05:42 PM   #215
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The journey of Merry and Rose from Frogmorton to Bywater in a pony cart went pleasantly enough. The cart gently jiggled and swayed to a music of clapping hoof, quivering bottle, and Merry's songs of sleepy Shire and robust Rohan. Merry, a congenial enough host even whilst away from hole and hearth, offered Rose along the way sweet strawberries nearly as big as her fist and still on the vine, and let Rose hold the reins to drive the cart.

The day would have been not only pleasant, but in fact perfect ... until Merry happened to think of the green leather-bound book he'd meant to show Pippin, The Tale of Years – Chronology of the Westlands. The book had been left behind in Buckland. No frown made it to Merry's face though. For Pip was certain to be just bursting with new tales at Bag End. That is, if he wasn't up to fresh mischief and creating such tales right on the spot at Bilbo and Frodo's dinner party!

As they came nearer The Green Dragon, Rose and Merry discussed the quaintness of there being a North Farthing Stone travelling marker separate from the Three Farthing Stone denoting West, South, and East, and whether you could truly claim to be in three places at once were you to stand at the top of the Three Farthing Stone.

At last the sportive sign of The Green Dragon came into view, though even before Merry could descry the sign, Cami had seen them coming and was standing out front cheerily waving them in.

Estella's eyes widened with surprised delight on seeing the powder-covered note sticking up out of the flour canister. So this is what the cryptic comments that Pio had relayed from Merry about how as his wife she should keep busy and be sure to do plenty of baking had been all about! Shaking out bits of flour and unfolding the paper, she smiled and read:

To My Dear Wife Estella, with all my love.

Without you, I am only grain
Awaiting life to share.
But o! How very much I gain
By the sweetness of your care!

Your vanilla kiss and gentle touch,
The fire in your smile glowing,
Your voice of water pure and clear,
All blend to overflowing!

You make our smial home, my love
With beauty in deed and way.
May our love never-ending be
The bread of every day.

-- Always yours,

Merry

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 03-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #216
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo-lad excitedly raced through the house in an attempt to locate the trestle table. He had been into many of the closets, but with no success. Finally he located it in the corner of one of the rooms. Dragging it outside, he loaded it into his small but sturdy wagon. Setting up tables and chairs for parties was something he greatly enjoyed, it made him feel grown-up and important.

He was somewhat annoyed but not surprised when his two younger brothers insisted on going along. To avoid trouble, he put Merry-lad on the right side of the wagon and Pippin-lad on the left to steady it. Placing himself behind it he gave it a firm push and the trio headed off down the dusty path towards Amaranthas's.

[ March 23, 2003: Message edited by: Carrûn ]
Old 03-17-2003, 04:07 AM   #217
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Try as she might, Gilly’s arguments to her parents fell on deaf ears. She sighed, wishing it could be different but she had made up her mind and intended to go to Hobbiton. Taking pen and paper, she wrote a short note to Amaranthas:

Miz Amaranthas Bolger
Hobbiton, Westfarthing, The Shire

24 Thrimidge (23 Lotessë)

My dear Miz Amaranthas,

You cannot begin to know how your letter filled me with delight. Your kind offer to introduce me to Mistress Piosenniel has filled me with just the resolve I needed to pack up what little I own and to strike out for Hobbiton.

It would be best, I think, if I could leave soon and head east from here. In fact, I think I shall be able to set out tomorrow. I’ll be on foot, so it will take about three good days of walking to come to Hobbiton.

If you would be so kind as to allow me to stay at your home until I am needed by Mistress Piosenniel, I would much appreciate it.

Thank you, once again, for thinking of me and offering this opportunity.

Best regards,

* Gilly *

Gillyflower Took
Waymeet, Westfarthing, The Shire
Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 AM   #218
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura pulled Mithadan to the side and asked if he could keep the younger children busy while he spoke with Gamba.

"Your mother suggested we get to know each other. First, I need to tell you who I am. That's only fair. I've heard a lot about you, since you're so important to Cami."

"Your mother's old teacher Bilbo arranged with Ancalimon and Lorien for us to come to the Inn. I'm Maura Took. I'm sure you've heard about Beleriand, and how your mother and I met. We pledged our love, and hoped to marry. Now, we've been given a chance to spend a little time together to exchange our vows."

"You and your brothers are here, along with Lindo and my family, to share that special time with us. We asked Lorien if you could come."

"I wish that you and I could spend time getting to know each other. But these few weeks are all we have. After that, I must return to my own age, and you and your mother to hers."

Gamba did not respond, but asked, "Where's my mom?"

"She's on a morning walk. She should return shortly."

"Is she mad?"

"Mad? No. About what?"

"The window."

Maura fought back a smile. Cami was an indulgent parent, perhaps too indulgent, and the thought of her wasting time or energy worrying about a window was very strange indeed.

Then he saw the boy's serious face and answered more gently. "Your mother isn't the kind of person to get upset about a window, and neither am I. At least not longer than the first five minutes after it gets broken. She hoped you'd understand that."

"In any case, I thought you and I might make a new window frame together. Your mother has volunteered to work in the kitchens. In exchange, Prim will buy a new window pane and have it installed in the frame we make. Since your mother and I have so little time together, I'll also be helping out in the kitchens just so I can be near her."

"What about the shirriff, and the punch?"

Maura sighed. "I can't lie about that. No hobbit would be pleased. But is she mad? No. Your mother is not the type to yell or get angry. In fact, I can't think of anything further from her nature than that."

"But my mother looks sad. Why?"

"Yes, she is sad. She's a bit lonely. You and your brothers spend a great deal of time having fun together, and leave her sitting by herself. That could make anyone lonely."

"I don't know why. She doesn't need us anymore. She's got you."

"Me? Life's not that simple, I'm afraid. One person doesn't fill all the spaces. Even if I could be with your mom all the time, which I can't, she'd still spend a lot of time worrying about you and being lonely if you weren't here."

"But I am here!"

"Yes and no. Sometimes we all forget about the little things. I'm no exception."

"What little things?"

"Nothing special. Maybe thanking your mom for taking that punch or asking her how her black eye feels. If you like to sleep outside, that's fine. But did you ever invite her to drop by for a good night hug or even to stay with you outside one night? She would you know. There's very little that she wouldn't do for you."

"Gamba, Cami relies on you. And if you wanted to, you could help your brothers understand how to show respect and affection and trust. But wanting to do that has to come from inside yourself. Cami can't do it, and I certainly can't do it."

"Anyways, if you want to make that window frame, or talk, let me know. I'd like to let you in on a little secret, something no one else knows, so you and your brothers, and the other kids, could do something nice for your mom. I think you'd have a lot of fun. But that's up to you, whether you're interested or not."

Old 03-17-2003, 02:33 PM   #219
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was mid-day by the time Bilbo came tapping on the door of Bag-end, leaving his cart round the side. He had promised Sam to help with preparations for the dinner, and had managed to get Bingo Chubb to go into the woods with his bow and arrow and secure a fine haunch of venison for them. In the back of his cart, in addition to the roast, there was also a barrel of ale he'd begged from Prim by using some of that famous Baggins charm.

"Where's Frodo?" Sam inquired.

"Probably off tramping somewhere in the fields. I left a note on our door, so perhaps he'll join us later."

"Any word on our guests?" countered Bilbo.

"Ah, yes. The overnight post brought news that Merry and Pippin will be joining us tomorrow evening. In fact, I'm hoping they get in earlier in the day. A bit of fishing or a tramp in the woods before dinner wouldn't hurt any of us. What have you heard?"

"Frodo and I will certainly be here. But I don't think Maura can make it. He and Cami have been wanting to go off someplace in private ever since he arrived. Everytime they try, something happens."

"Maura's family finally came through, but we're still waiting for Cami's daughter Rose Goodchild. But Lorien swears he's seen her in the Shire, and that she'll be here shortly. Hopefully, by tomorrow. If that's so, she and Maura have something planned for that evening and the next morning. And, goodness knows, they have little enough time to share, so I'm not going to press them."

Bilbo set aside his cane and began rolling up his sleeves, looking over in Sam's direction. "Alright, enough talk, where's that work that needs doing?"

Sam took him inside the kitchen and pointed to a heaping bushel of taters that needed peeling, and several buckets of mushrooms to be cleaned and cut.

"Goodness, gracious! So much?"

Sam grinned back. "Well, Mister Bilbo, my appetite hasn't gotten any less over the years, I'm afraid. Don't you remember how much we used to put away?"

"Let's just hope my nephew keeps his head on his shoulders and manages to get over here to help us."

Old 03-17-2003, 02:46 PM   #220
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Frodo finished his walk and returned to the Inn. He went to the common room and ate elevensies. Then he returned to his room, and found the note that Bilbo had left for him.

Pocketing the note, he headed up the hill, and arrived there before noon, and knocked on the familiar door.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #221
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam enjoyed talking with Bilbo as they peeled the potatoes, and washed and cut the mushrooms. They spoke a lot of Sam's job as mayor, of his family, of Rosie, and of the Shire, and little of Bilbo and Frodo, but that was all right. Here there was not that tension, the worry to say the wrong word that seemed to have existed between Frodo and Sam. The West wasn't spoken of much, but it was because the conversation didn't steer that way. The Shire and the doings of the Gamgee family made for plenty of conversation material.

Sam was in the middle of telling a particularly funny story about Pippin, Goldilocks, and a skunk, when someone knocked on the door. "One moment!" he called, and put down the knife he had been using to peel the taters. "Just a moment," he added as he hurried to the door.

"Hullo, Mr. Frodo!" he said cheerfully, gesturing for Frodo to come in. "Mr. Bilbo and I were just fixing some things for the dinner. We're in the kitchen--come join us!"

Frodo agreed, and they went into the kitchen.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 03-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #222
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

"Ah, Frodo, you must have seen my note. You had a good walk, I hope."

Frodo nodded, then smiled over at his uncle. Bilbo handed his nephew the peeler for the taters, and said he'd had enough peeling and would like to step outside and get a bit of air. He went out the door, sat down on a bench, and lit his pipe, staying there a good long time.

Inside he could hear Bilbo's and Frodo's voices going back and forth on this and that piece of news about doings in the Shire. He even heard Frodo sing a snatch of a song or two, and Sam join in on the choruses. It was the happiest that Bilbo had heard him the whole trip. Ah, if only I could box Sam and his family up and have Frodo take them back to the West. Especially since it doesn't look as if I'll be going back. I worry about the lad. He spends too much time thinking about "what if" instead of living in the here and now. With these thoughts, Bilbo fell asleep on the bench, until Frodo woke him for the return trek, and bundled him into the cart.

"Tomorow evening we'll meet again for the party," Frodo called out to Sam and waved as he headed back to the Inn.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-18-2003, 04:55 AM   #223
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Estella had just invited Pio to sit down and have something cool to drink, when the young maid servant, Salvia Burrow, who had been cleaning Master Meriadoc’s study came flying into the kitchen. Her face was ruddy from the rush to reach the kitchen, and in her hand she bore a green, leather bound, thick book.

‘Mistress Estella,' she cried all out of breath, ‘he’s gone and left it behind!’ She held aloft the book. Estella blanched. ‘Oh no, Pip will be angry! Merry promised he’d bring it directly back to him after he’d entered a few notes. And Pippin had sent him a message saying that he hoped he could bring it to the dinner party.’

Pio looked from one to the other and wondered why the book was so important. She took it from Salvia’s hand and leafed through it quickly. The title page bore the words: The Tale of Years – Chronology of the Westlands. And it appeared to be the start of a detailed chronicling of the events of the Second, Third, and Fourth Ages. Pippin, Estella explained, was the primary compiler for it, and Merry had been working on putting in some material that he had gathered in Rivendell. ‘He was supposed to have brought the book with him to Bag End,’ Estella continued, ‘so that Pip could discuss the next section with him and compare their notes on it. Now I don’t know when we can get the book back to Great Smials.’

‘It is that important, then?’ Pio handed the book to Estella. ‘To them, it is,’ the Hobbit replied. ‘And I suppose it really will be, at least to some few dry and dusty historians in later ages.’

‘Well, then, if you would like, I will bring it back to Master Merry. No need for Master Pippin ever to know it was forgotten.’ Estella protested that Pio had just gotten there and hadn’t she wanted to stay a few days. ‘I did, at that, but I shall be happy to be of some service to you, should you need it.’ She smiled at Estella. ‘Just give me some lunch and see that my horse is fed and made ready, and I shall ride back to Hobbiton and bring Merry his book.

The meal done, ‘Falmar was brought round, and Pio, her pack filled with thick cheese sandwiches, apples, and a bottle of Mead from the Marish, made her way back to Bywater at a gallop.

It was late night when she arrived. She stabled ‘Falmar, and strode quickly to the kitchen. No one was about when she entered. The filled kettle had been left on the hob and the fire in the fireplace banked for the night. Pio made herself a mug of tea and pulled out the honey jar from the pantry to sweeten it. She made her way back to her rooms and entered quietly.

Her cape she flung onto the couch, her boots kicked off and left in a heap on the floor by her chair. The pack was unceremoniously tossed onto the floor by the desk. She crossed to the window and sat down with a sigh in the chair that faced it. Propping her feet on the sill, she sipped her tea, relaxing after the long ride.

The door to the room opened, and a shaft of light shot into the darkness, illuminating from behind the entering figure. ‘Ah!’ she said. ‘It’s you . . .’

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-18-2003, 06:23 AM   #224
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The countryside passed pleasantly by in a steady stream of comfortable chatter, and Rose found herself happily swept away by Merry’s fascinating stories of adventure and the funny tales of the quaint Shire she had missed since her departure. Somewhere near a sweet cherry tree, clad elegantly in soft pink and purest white blossoms, Merry told of the recent welcome home party for Bilbo and Frodo. Rose shrieked with laughter at her companion’s vivid imitation of the hobbit children’s food fight and their parent’s mortified reaction. Bird’s arrival in the vest pocket of the funny, silver-haired man almost brought tears to the young hobbit’s eyes; she could just see the poor man’s reaction as the disheveled Bird sprouted on top of him! Through her enjoyment of the story, however, a question nagged at the back of her mind, wondering what could be so important as to bring Bilbo and Frodo sailing back from the Blessed Realm.

Merry mentioned his own reason for traveling back into Hobbiton and Rose listened with interest, hoping maybe to pick up clues for her own journey. Her companion spoke quite enthusiastically about seeing his good friend, Pippin, again so soon and Rose could not help but allow her mind to wander as he described the antics of Peregrin’s son, Faramir. Her train of thought wandered from the Took family around to her old friend, Daisy, who had once worked in the Great Smials. A great longing awoke within Rose to see her old home and friends; it had been a long time since she had set out, and though the wild life of Greenwood always bore its adventures and joys, the comfortable and consistent land of the Shire was rooted deeply into every hobbit heart who had the luck to be born there. An order and rhythm was ingrained into her soul, and the very land, tilled into neat rows or tended carefully to form bright gardens, called out to her to remember the rich soil that had allowed her to grow.

“Ah, and we have arrived!” Merry exclaimed, breaking into her thoughts. Rose turned eagerly in her seat and saw the great inn rise up to greet her from around a bend in the road.

“Oh, I cannot wait to see Cami! How surprised she will be to see me!” Rose clapped her hands together, delighted and completely forgetting her previous thoughts. “Thank you so much for giving me a ride, your kindness had been quite wonderful.”

Merry beamed that it was “no trouble at all” and “completely his pleasure” making Rose blush as he pulled the horse to a stop before the inn.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 03-18-2003, 06:49 AM   #225
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As Rose mounted the familiar steps of the Green Dragon Inn, she turned and waved goodbye to Merry who was planning on heading over to Bag-end to help with the party preparations. It was Cami who looked out the window and first spotted Rose. She scurried to the door of the Inn, her heart pounding with happiness to see her daughter's much loved face.

Taking Rose's two hands in her own, Cami twirled about, until both women broke out laughing and fell into a heap.

Rose picked herself up, dusting off her skirts and immedately confronted her mother, "Can you believe this? That we're back in the Shire? What are we doing here?"

"That's a long story, Rose. I hardly know where to begin. Perhaps the easiest thing is to show you."

She prodded her gently over to a table at the rear of the Inn where a group of hobbits were sitting. Seated at the table were a mother and father with two young children, and a slightly older hobbit with silver hair and grey eyes. Rose stared, then stared again.

"You do recognize them, don't you?" Cami's eyes were laughing as she turned and pulled Rose towards Maura. The latter embraced Rose with a gentle hug and added, "Azra, lovely lady. It is so good to see you again." Zira and Ban quickly took Rose's hand and said how much she'd grown and how fine she looked. Finally, Abar came over and climbed up on her knee demanding that Auntie Azra should tell him another story.

"You remember my stories, Abar?"

When the young boy nodded yes, Rose sat back and grinned for, along with the sorrow and heartache of the camps, there had been other memories of closeness and caring. Then Abar made Rose come over to see his new baby sister.

"Guess what her name is!" the boy insisted.

"I have no idea. You'd better tell me."

"Her name is Azra. We named her after you."

Rose's eyes softened to hear this news, and she smiled gently as she took the small babe in her arms, "How pretty you are! If you're named after me, you'll have to be a great fighter. Your Auntie Rose is practically the only lass in the Shire who can wield a sword as well as the boys, maybe even better."

Zira looked over at Rose with a grin, "Well, you may have grown a little, but you're still the same Rose."

Then Cami sat Rose down at the table and explained as much as she knew about why they were there, and how she and Maura planned to wed. When her mother explained how this was only temporary, Rose pounded a fist on the table saying that it was so unfair and, if she had any say in the matter, it would certainly be permanent.

"Are my brothers her?" Rose continued.

Cami nodded yes. "They're staying out in the barn. You know how they are. And Lindo too, and several of the Snowhobbits."

"Lindo? Lindo's here?"

Cami nodded in response.

Rose smiled. "I'd like to see him again."

Old 03-18-2003, 11:03 AM   #226
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

The filthy wretch had spent most of the morning seeking his self-chosen master. He had attained no success and gave up, as he was inclined to do with no one to guide him particularly and access to the pantry.

Old Stoat wandered into the farm cottage and hurled together a meal. Meat, bread, cheese and ale, in any order and in not the freshest of states. He picked the mould off the bread to begin with but such a delicate act bored him. He soon began to eat solidly regardless of the green fur that graced parts of the crust. He drank another draught of the bitter tasting, dark liquid: leaned back on the chair and belched loudly.

He could have done some farm work, but hard labour with no one to oversee him did not appeal that day. His head was carefully running over Bill's plan. A smile, such as it was, cracked across his dark countenance. He liked this plan. This was more his style than breaking his back in the fields.

He waited, cleaning his sharp little knife on the leg of his breeches. It was the only thing he took care of. The knife in its turn took care of him.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:17 AM   #227
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Well, and it's about time you returned". Birdie sauntered into Pio's room, lifted the lid of the teapot and wrinkled her nose to find it only contained tea, and plopped herself down by the grate, stretching out her toes to the fire.

"What did you think to accomplish with your little jaunt? Hoping to hurry up the birth with a nice cross-country gallop? And leaving the rounding up of Cami's guests to Mith and I? You'd have been a better choice. After all, you've chose to live with them for all these months."

Idly, Bird pulled out the green volume from Pio's pack, and started flipping through the pages (carefully wiping her hands on her pants before doing so). "What's this?"

Pio's post

‘Careful with that! Or Merry and Pippin will flay your scrawny little shape-changer hide.’

Pio hoisted herself from the chair and retrieved the book from her friend’s eager hands. Reaching down into the side pocket of the pack, she drew out the bottle of Marish Mead she had wrapped in one of her shirts. Bird wrinkled her nose at the site of the creased and wadded piece of clothing, backing away from the proffered gift.

‘You know Elves always smell sweet and fresh! No need to be looking so disdainfully at it. And besides, it is clean . . . just mussed, a bit.’ She handed the bottle to Bird. ‘You will like what you find inside. I believe Mrs. Maggot made that up. Nice and hearty Marish spirits, if you catch my drift.’

Pio chuckled as Bird held up the bottle to admire the deep amber colored, thick liquid. ‘You know, we could invite Lorien down for a taste. Sort of seal the apology I made.’

She cocked her eyebrow at Bird . . .

‘Not a good idea, you two.’ Mithadan’s pronouncement cut short the impromptu party plans. Awakened by their discussion, he had thrown on his robe and come into the living room. He took the bottle from Bird’s hands and inspected it. ‘Looks potent!’

He smiled impishly at Bird. ‘As I recall, you knocked the poor guy flat on his back when you made your entrance to the dinner party.’ He placed the bottle back in her hands. ‘Take the bottle and go make your amends to him. Upstairs, third door on the left.’ He took her elbow and steered her gently toward the door and out it. ‘We’ll see you tomorrow at breakfast, late.’

Mithadan smiled and waved, then closed the door firmly behind her. He turned, and his eyes swept over Piosenniel as she stood before him in her rumpled riding clothes. His hand went up to tuck a stray curl behind her ear. ‘I miss you when you are not by my side,’ he murmured.

Taking her hands in his he drew her quickly toward him, kissing her at first gently on the lips, and then with greater urgency . . .

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-18-2003, 11:24 AM   #228
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

ooc: will leapfrog as needed.

That mid-morning, Gamba and Maura were seen deep in conversation for ten minutes. Gamba left with a strange mix of emotions on his face, and went to find Lindo and the braided hobbits. They went off to the barn, with one teenager always standing guard at the stall door. A heated debate ensued between thr four teenagers, with Lindo officiating.
Gamba won.

"All right, then. We'll have to recruit some other kids, and you ought to know by now that I'm not good at introducing myself."

The braided hobbits all laughed.

"So you guys are going to have to do the recruiting, " Gamba continued. "I'll run it once we're ready, but you build the team. Agreed?"

Gamba jumped as a thought was pressed into his mind. Agreed, Retya replied.

Gamba stared at him. "How'd you do that?"

"Do you want to learn?" Lindo asked.

"Mmmm... maybe, " Gamba replied. "But now, I guess I've got to go work on the shelter I broke. See you all back here tonight. Wait-- whose horse is that?" He had just heard 'Falmar snorting in her stall.

"'Falmar belongs to Piosenniel, " replied Lindo.

"Guess I get to go and see her first, " Gamba sighed, and headed back to the Inn.

He'll come around, Lindo thought. The braided hobbits all shared a smile after Gamba left, and then they went to the Inn to get directions from Frodo.

Piosenniel looked up as a shadow crossed the threshold. Before her stood Gamba, face flushed, head down, fists jammed deep into his pockets. He leaned against the door jamb, and crossed one foot over the other, and curled his toes. Then he pressed his fists still deeper into the pockets. Pio imagined what Cami would say about the strain on the breeches, and stifled a smile.

"Hi, Bird. Hi, Pio. Mmmm.... I'm... mmm.. really sorry I broke your house, Pio. And... Mithadan says it wasn't you that locked me in that room. Some guy named Lorien did and I should be mad at him, not you. Ummmm... and so I'm sorry for all the mean things I said. And I'm sorry I blamed you. I'm sorry."

He swiped a sleeve over his flaming face, fidgeted with his bare feet from left to right and back again, and miserably wondered whether she would reply.

Suspecting that she might not reply, he slowly began leaning his weight towards his escape route back down the hallway.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #229
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

23 Lótessë - Day of the Party

‘Ah, an apology,’ she thought to herself, ‘and I suppose he means it to sound sincere.’

Pio rubbed the back of her neck, already irritated by the previous events of the morning. She had meant to go Angelica’s today, and Hob had let her know he had harnessed the pony to the cart for her and would bring it round. She had frowned at this, saying she meant to ride ‘Falmar. But, Hob had shrugged, and motioned toward Prim who stepped up and told her firmly there would be no more riding the horse. She had discussed it with other ladies who had been in Mistress Piosenniel’s condition and they had all agreed it was not a safe or healthy thing to be doing at this late stage.

No amount of explanation that the twins would not be born earlier would move the little tyrant, who had also squelched Pio’s plea that ‘Falmar would need exercise. ‘Your Mister said he could do that for you, and if he’s unavailable, I’m sure Miz Bird could see her way to do it.’ Prim nodded her head at Bird, who sat at the table innocently eating a slice of seedcake. Pio snorted at this image of Bird on a horse, a large horse. Prim, her hands on her hips, would not be moved from her stand on this issue.

And now she faced Gamba. She simply did not need another burr under her forbidden saddle. In the back of her mind, she could hear Mithadan’s last lecture on forgiveness – from her unfortunate incident with the Lorien. She schooled her face to some semblance of Elven serenity, and pitched her voice in a less hysterical range than her thoughts at the moment.

‘I will say this quickly, since I see you are still uncomfortable within walls. You say you are sorry. I accept it. It is Prim, the new Innkeeper with whom you will have to negotiate as to how you will replace the broken window, though I think Maura has already spoken some with her.’

She picked up the cloak she had draped over the kitchen chair and strode toward the door. Gamba reached it first, eager to be outside the confines of the Inn. Hob stood ready with the cart and held it steady as she climbed on board. ‘I should be back early in the afternoon,’ she told him. ‘I am just going to Angelica’s to see if I can entice her away from the family for a bit. I want to bring her back here to see what we need to do to get ready for the birth.’

Pio flicked the reins against Nettle’s back urging her onward. Nettle, true to her name, balked and twitched her ears in an irritated manner. ‘Falmar, standing out in the exercise area, leaned her head over the fence, and snorted at the Elf’s predicament. ‘Not a word, you great beast, or I shall harness you to this ridiculous cart!

The Hobbit blinked in the direct sunlight, and shaded her eyes, wondering at the figure in the cart who had shown up at her doorstep. ‘I was going to write you a note, asking you to come to the Inn.’ Pio smiled broadly at Angelica who stood in the open doorway, wiping her wet hands on her apron. ‘But it was such a glorious morning, I could not spend one more minute cooped up there.’

Pio reached down a hand and helped Angelica up to the seat beside her. ‘Are you free for a while? Can you go on a little drive with me? I thought we might ride back to the Inn and you can see what needs to be gotten done before the birth day. I should also like you to meet Mithadan, the father.’ Angelica looked nervously toward the open door. The sound of children’s voices and the rhythm of small feet running on the wooden floor could be heard coming from inside the house. ‘Will Merimac watch the children for you?’ She pointed back toward the rear seat. ‘Or would you like to bring them along with us?’

Warring thoughts played briefly in the face of the Hobbit as she looked first at Pio and the promise of a pleasant ride on a sunny day and then back again toward her doorway . . .
Old 03-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #230
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Truth to tell, Lindo was relieved that he had an assignment from the wild little hobbit-lad, and his sons weren't too upset about it either. Maura was entirely focused on Cami, everyone else was very aloof, and even the horses weren't talkative. Lindo had been working on a friendship with Mithadan's horse, but he wouldn't even tell Lindo his name. And 'Falmar had given him the cold shoulder entirely.

Lindo made the same decision as his boys did; Frodo had given them directions by road, but they had all slipped into the hedges and fields, avoiding passers-by. They felt none too comfortable in this strange settlement, where everyone looked at them oddly.

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #231
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Now that both Rose and Pio had returned to the Inn, Cami decided that she and Maura would take a little time for themselves. She had already mentioned to Pio that she'd be gone for a day or two, and confided to her where they would be. Then, she and Maura had spent most of that day helping in the kitchens, waiting on tables and cooking. After they'd finished cleaning up from the last lunch setting, she'd spoken to Prim and promised they'd return later in the week to help.

Cami had hoped to use the pony to take some supplies and food down to the deserted burrow beside the pond. But Pio had already gotten hold of the cart and had it off on some errand of her own. For one wild moment, Cami thought of saddling up Falmer and stuffing the supplies into a bag she could throw onto his back. But her friend would not approve, to say nothing of the real likelihood of being thrown into a ditch.

Maura was staying behind for the afternoon. Cami promised to come and get him later that evening, once she'd prepared dinner and tidied up the burrow. Cami had spent some time questioning Maura about what he planned to do that afternoon. He seemed to be keeping a secret, something that involved himself and Gamba. But, no matter how much she begged, he wouldn't tell her what was happening.

Cami called Gamba in from the barn, and asked if he could round up the boys, as she had something she needed to tell them. Gamba pulled two out of the trees where they'd been climbing, and the others from under the table in the kitchen where they were eating some treats they'd managed to beg from the Cook.

Little Maura, Ban, Asta and Roka came crowding in about the table. Cami seated herself directly between Ban and Asta, depositing a kiss on each of their curly heads.

"This is the first I've seen you. I've missed you all. This is such a big place. Back home, when you sleep outside, I just stick my head outside, and there you are. The Inn is so big and the stables too. I feel as if you're a mile away."

"I think you've met Maura." Four heads cautiously nodded yes. "And he told you what was going to happen." The four heads bobbed solemnly up and down again.

"Maura and I are going down by the pond for a little while, so we can set up housekeeping in a small burrow I've found. We'll promise to love each other in the way hobbits do when they decide to marry. Later on, after the twins are born, we'll repeat our promises again and have our friends come for a party."

"We won't be away for very long now, only two or three days at the most. But Rose is here, and she and your brother Gamba will take good care of you."

"Gamba, listen to me. If you need me for any reason, any reason at all, just have Rose come running down. She knows just where it is, and it's not far at all. And maybe if I can get things set up nicely, I'll have Maura come back and you'll all come down to the burrow, and we can have a picnic lunch near the water."

"Now, promise me you'll try and behave. The rules here are just like home. Be nice to people, mind your manners, and try to do what the older hobbits ask you." Then she gave each of them a hug, and Gamba helped her load the things into a wheelbarrow that she wanted to take down to the pond.

Old 03-19-2003, 02:56 AM   #232
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The mid-afternoon meal was done; plates and mugs were stacked in dirty piles on the counter near the sink. Ruby had just finished scraping the last of the leavings into the pail, while Buttercup poured the hot water from the kettle into the pan in the sink. The two of them stood, heads together washing dreamily at the dishes and discussing the two ‘couples’ at the Inn.

‘Did you see Mistress Piosenniel this morning? There she was at breakfast with the Mister, and don’t you know he couldn’t take his eyes off her. She sat there like a queen bee and up he gets fetching her this and that with a great toothy grin on his face. Pleased as punch he is to have her back home.’ Ruby sighed as she washed the same mug, over and over. ‘Now that’s the sort of husband I want.’

Buttercup gave her a shove on the arm to bring her out of her reverie.

‘Well, he’s nice enough and all that, for a Man, I suppose. But I’ve been watching that Maura who's come to court Miz Cami. Now there’s the sort of Hobbit would make a fine catch for me.’ She threw her dish towel over her shoulder and leaned against the sink, arms folded. ‘Quiet, but not one to let others walk over him. Sure of himself. And sure of Miz Cami, too. You can see it in his eyes, when he looks at her. A kind man, I think.’ She turned back to the stack of washed and rinsed mugs, picking one up to dry. ‘He has the loveliest hands. Have you noticed that? Strong . . . gentle.’ She set the dried mug in the cupboard. ‘Yes, just the sort of Hobbit, I want for my husband.

Cook and Prim had been sitting at the table shelling peas, listening to the two of them prattle on. ‘Ladies!’ Prim’s voice cut through their day-dreams, freezing them in mid action. Buttercup’s brown eyes widened as she glanced at Ruby. She mouthed a silent plea. ‘Oh, please let her not want us to spend the rest of the afternoon in the dark pantry cleaning off shelves and stacking crocks and canisters neatly.’ Cook’s mouth twitched as she saw the shoulders of the two servers hunch up near their ears.

‘Pantry needs a cleaning, Prim. You’ve been promising me we could get that done.’ She glanced at the two servers who had gone quiet and still as stone trolls in sunlight.

‘Well, I guess I did at that.’ Prim looked at the backs of Ruby and Buttercup, stiff as boards, and chuckled. ‘But it’s not going to happen today, Cook. I’ve got other plans.’

The plans she laid out for them were much more agreeable to Ruby and Buttercup, as they would get them out of the Inn. Cook had put together several baskets of food that needed delivering to Miz Amaranthas for the party tonight. When Buttercup protested that Mistress Piosenniel had taken the pony and cart, Prim said she had already asked Hob to fetch out the small wagon and get back two of the ponies from Faldo.

‘Now once you’ve delivered the food to Amaranthas, and helped her put it away. You go directly to Pansy Bunce’s place. Cook’s cousin has an oversized cradle just the right size for those two babies of Mistress Piosenniel, and a stack of blankets and quilts and little baby hand-me-downs that she won’t be needing any longer. It’ll be enough to get them started.’ Prim ticked off the stops they needed to make in her head. ‘I’ve organized the ladies at the Westfarthing Grange, and you can stop by there last, for some new outfits that they’ve been sewing for the wee ones. And, most important, the good ladies have been putting together stacks of folded nappies for us.’ She frowned, thinking there was one more stop. ‘Oh, and don’t forget to stop at Gammer Nutmeg’s place. She’s made a pot of her soothing Baby Bottoms ointment that she wants to contribute.’

‘Tonight, they’ll be gone to Amaranthas’ for the party,’ said Cook, bringing out several baskets packed with food. ‘We’ll get the little bedroom cleaned up and set up for them.’

Buttercup grabbed two of the baskets and dashed for the door, hearing the clatter of the wagon’s wheel’s draw up out side the kitchen’s door. Ruby quickly repeated the list of stops to Prim’s satisfaction, eager to be out the door herself. She had just grabbed the last basket of carefully packed jam tarts when the door from the Common Room swung open and Mithadan peeked in . . .
Old 03-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #233
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Oh, Miss Piosenniel," said Angelica. "If there's one thing you don't want, it's my children coming with me. There'd be no point in bringing me to the Inn at all. I'd do nothing but chase the little ones." She looked back at the door as she heard a triumphant scream from Fosco. "But I do worry about Merimac taking care of all three of them... he is busy..."

"Why not leave one twin here, and take the other one?" Pio suggested. "You're husband will have less children to take care of that way, and you won't have to worry about chasing the twins around the Inn."

Angelica looked startled. "I never though of that before, Miss Piosenniel," she said thoughtfully. "But I'll have to take Prisca. Fosco can cause just as much trouble on his own."

Angelica went into the house and soon came out, holding little Prisca in her arms and trying to keep Fosco from climbing up her skirts. "Mummy, Prisca and I weren't done playing yet! Mummy, I want to go for a ride, too! Mummy, is that the Elf? Mummy, I want to hit the Elf with pudding!"

That was enough for poor Angelica, who turned bright red and, setting Prisca down next to Pio, dragged Fosco back into the house, pushed him through the front door, closed the door, and fishing a key out of her apron pocket, locked it.

Then she turned to Pio, still red, and burst out, "Oh, Miss Piosenniel, you won't mind, would you?"

Pio smiled and shook her head, so Angelica leaned against the front door and laughed and laughed and laughed. Then she climbed up onto the wagon once more, and, with little Prisca in between them, they set off for the inn.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #234
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Angelica and her daughter make a pretty pair,’ thought Pio. She stole glances at them as the cart rolled slowly along. Nettle was in no hurry as he ambled down the road. He had found almost every clump of tempting grass, savory weed and flower patch on his way to Angelica’s and he intended to have a bite from each on his trip home. Pio, by this time, had given in to his stubborn temperament and let the reins lay gently on his back as he clopped along.

Prisca, delighted to be the sole object of her mother’s attention, chattered incessantly, pointing out all sorts of things interesting to her toddler eyes. A pretty tree, some rock daphne at the edge of the road – so tiny yet sending out a sweet smell, a sweet cherry tree, its fruits heavy and dark with the promise of delight. The little lass clapped her hands and giggled when Pio stopped the cart and lifted her up to snatch a chubby handful of sweet, red cherries.

At last, the cart made the turn into the Inn yard. Nettle picked up his pace a bit, sensing the stable was near. Hob was on hand to help the ladies down to the ground, and took the eager Nettle back to his stall and the longed for hay to munch.

‘Well, now, who’s this!’ Hob had returned and crouched down in front of Prisca, smiling and admiring the little one’s dress. Prisca twirled, like a little blossom in the wind, to be admired and reached up for Hob’s hand as he stood up. ‘Want to go out to the garden with me, Princess?’ said Hob, holding up a small basket. ‘I’ve got to pick some beans for dinner, and you could gather a little bouquet of flowers to give your Momma if you’ld like.’ Hob looked at Angelica, who nodded her head that it would be alright. The two went off, chatting about Prisca’s momma’s garden and admiring the ladybugs that gathered on the salvia along the path.

Pio showed Angelica into the kitchen, and offered her a cool drink after the long ride. Prim and Cook were introduced, and both of them offered to be of assistance to Angelica when the time came for her to be midwife. ‘I hope you don’t mind, Mistress Piosenniel,’ said Prim, but while you were out and Mister Mithadan was otherwise occupied, I took the liberty of cleaning out that small bedroom next to yours. I’m sure you’ll want to be using that for the nursery, and it needed a good scrubbing down. Cook and I moved the armoire out, too. You won’t be needing it for baby clothes, and it was blocking the door that leads into your own room.’

Knowing better than to object to Prim’s ideas of what needed to be done, Pio simply smiled and thanked her for being so thoughtful . . . and so thorough. She put her arm round the Innkeeper’s shoulders and gave her a little hug. ‘It’s just like having another mother . . . or two,’ she laughed, nodding in appreciation at Cook.

She ushered Angelica into her quarters and showed her around. Prim followed in their wake, wanting to hear what the midwife would have to say. ‘I’m supposing the babies will be born here,’ Pio said, indicating her and Mithadan’s bed. They poked their heads into the quite bare little bedroom adjacent. ‘And this will be the babies’ room.’

Angelica looked up, perplexed at Pio, wondering what the Elf planned to clothe or bundle the twins in, much less where she intended for them to sleep. Hopefully, she thought to herself, Prim and Cook were dealing with this need also. A quick glance at Prim showed that the Hobbit had already thought about all this, and when she gave a short nod, Angelica understood everything would be in place when the time came.

‘That is about it, Angelica. Events have been rather chaotic about the Inn of late and nothing really has gotten done to prepare for the arrival of the babies.’ Pio looked mildly chagrined by her apparent unpreparedness. ‘But, now you are here, and seen what is lacking. Just give me a list and I will see it gets done.’

Prim went to Pio’s desk and took out a piece of paper and dipped one of the numerous quills in the inkwell. She looked expectantly at Angelica . .

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #235
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan watched with some amusement as Piosenniel, Angelica and Prim reviewed the babies' room and assembled a list of needful things. As the discussion shifted from the sensitivity of babies' bottoms to diapering techniques, Piosenniel looked up with an impish look in her eyes and summoned him over. Someone had secured a doll and had demonstrated the intricacies of diapering to Pio. She had fumbled with the task at first but quickly learned the techniques of folding and securing the cloth. "You find this amusing?" she asked. "Your turn then, daddy."

Prim looked skeptically at Mithadan, then began giving instructions. Mithadan seized the cloth from the surprised Hobbit and rapidly folded and secured it about the bottom of the doll to the surprise of the three females. He raised an eyebrow in challenge. With barely concealed amusement, he said, "Both of my brothers have children. I've had occaision to do this many times."

The Hobbits moved away to discuss the positioning of a chair for feedings, leaving him alone with Pio for a moment. He shifted his feet uncomfortably, then spoke. "This dinner party we are to attend, I've been told that I will be the only man present." The Elf laughed. "You are likely the only Man in The Shire at present."

Mithadan glared at her, then continued. "You know what I mean. And what's this about this Hobbit who wants to meet me? The one they call 'the Dragon'? Is my attendance at his party really necessary?"
Old 03-20-2003, 01:00 PM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘You would like Amaranthas, I think. She has been a good friend to me.’ Much like the irascible Angara! No tail to trip you up or lash at you. But she is quite handy with her sturdy blackthorn cane. Pio sent him an image of wizened little Hobbit with her bright, black eyes taking his measure, and cackling.

She took him by the arm and drew him further from the baby discussions. ‘I only thought you might like to get out of the Inn. There will be people there that are my acquaintances, and I think you would be comfortable among them.’ Pio laughed and shook her head. ‘I suppose I could play the quirky expectant mother and request that you squire your poor frail wife to this social outing. But if you would be more at ease here, then stay. I can fill you in on anything of interest that occurs.’

Prim and Angelica had moved on to talk about hot water and towels and the reliability for certain teas to ease the pains. Pio sighed and said she supposed she had best be in on this. ‘If you would, can you take ‘Falmar out for a short ride – even around the area of the Inn would be good. Hob unfortunately has conspired with the others here to keep me from her.’ She rubbed her belly. ‘Sometimes I feel I will burst like some great, overripe melon. I can barely wait for them to come.’

She turned, heading back to the two Hobbits. ‘No need for you to listen to all this,’ she smiled. ‘Think about whether you would like to come tonight. The invitation stands open.’
Old 03-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #237
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Sting

He had fallen asleep, his head rested upon his arms, sprawled forth across the kitchen table. The crash of his master's entrance woke him with a sharp jolt.

"Wake up Stoatie! We've got guests!"

He rubbed a grimy hand over his bleary eyes and focused on him. He made no attempt to hide or apologise for eating the rotten remnants of his master's pantry.

"Guests gov?" He gruffly questioned while sliding one hand beneath the table to clasp the knife he had cleaned so precisely only a little while ago.

Sure enough, standing behind Bill in the cottage doorway were two strangers, every bit as silubrious as Stoatie. They were younger but that was all that could be said in their favour, if indeed youth was an advantage.

"There's nowt to eat." Stoatie observed.

"We've eaten in Bree Stoatie mate. Shall I introduce us then? This is Rob and ..., I've forgotten again..." He turned to the fairer or at least less dirty of the two men.

"Sewell." He barked. "Yer boss sez there's some work goin'." He looked around the sparce kitchen. "Times are hard aren't they matey?"

"It's them Halflings innit?" His companion chipped in.

"I reckons you could be right there, friend." Stoatie purred. "I'll get you an ale. I'm sure the gov's got a lot to tell yer about workin' for him."

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: Auriel Haevasawen ]
Old 03-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #238
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Angelica leaned over and whispered in Prim's ear, her face worried. Prim gave a little nod and whispered something back, and Angelica set her jaw, turning to Pio.

"Miss Pio," she said firmly. "Miss Pio, I have something to tell you, and I might as well tell you everything." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. "I'm convinced that you must have a nursemaid," she blurted out. "And this is a letter from Amaranthas."

Then she stepped back, casting her eyes downward, and hoping that Pio would agree to the plan. I'll talk with her all night, but she must get Gillyflower as a nursemaid.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #239
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio burst out laughing, drawing the wide-eyed stares of both Prim and Angelica. ‘I see I am hemmed in by conniving Hobbits!’ Her eyes glinted impishly. ‘Am I so fearsome that none of you can just speak plainly about things to me, that you need muster the troops to overwhelm my defenses?!’

Mithadan grinned as he ducked out the door. ‘You can be a stiff-necked obstinate Elf, my dear.’ A well aimed pillow from the chair hit him in the back as he made his escape.

Pio picked up one of the squares of white material meant for diapers, and waved it high in the air. ‘I surrender!’ she laughed. ‘If you think it best I have a nursemaid, and if Amaranthas has hand-picked her, then who am I to gainsay her?’ She looked out the window of the front room, and saw the lengthening shadows of the trees.

‘I think Prim has a long enough list for us to work on. And I need to get you and Prisca home. There is a small picnic party tonight at Amaranthas that I need to get ready for.’ She looked consideringly at Angelica. ‘You know, I have kept you over long here. You will not have time to fix supper for your husband and family. You and all should come to Miz Amaranthas’ this evening as my guests. There will be plenty of food. I saw Cook loading it into baskets today.’ She looked at Prim who confirmed her statement. ‘Think about it, and please do come.’

Prisca was retrieved from the stable, where she was happily feeding sugar lumps to herself and to Nettle. Hob harnessed the now sweetened pony, and handed the ladies up to the cart, waving them off as they set off back to Angelica’s.

Once at the door, Pio said thank-you once again for Angelica’s time and patience with her. ‘I hope to see you at the party,’ were her parting words as she flicked the reins and headed back to the Inn.

Merimac stood in the open doorway, Fosco in his arms. ‘Party, mama . . .?’

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 03-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #240
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘That’s it, girls! Just set the chicken and the tater salad down in the cool room. I’ll have the older children set it out when they come. And set the water in the big pot on to boil. I’ll throw the corn in later.’ Amaranthas motioned Ruby and Buttercup over to the dish cupboard and had them set plates, mugs, silverware, and napkins out on the tables in the back yard, already draped with cloths. She directed them to set out the salt and pepper shakers, the sugar and honey for tea, and lastly to place the little vases of her own wildflowers on for a little color.

Frodo lad had already set the chairs around. And Rosie and Merry had brought over some pretty lanterns they had found in the attic of Bag End, along with long streamers of pretty cloth they tied onto the bushes and low hung branches of the trees. The lanterns she had gotten one of the taller Bywater boys to hang from thin cords strung between the trees. When it was dark she would have someone light the candles inside to provide some soft twinkly lights for the guests.

Ruby and Buttercup did their jobs quickly and efficiently, explaining to Amaranthas that they couldn’t stay long, as they had a number of other stops to make. Amaranthas shooed them with a smile and a wave off once she heard what they were doing. ‘She’s a sweet girl, but she doesn’t have a lick of sense about those babies! Thank the stars she has us to look out for her!’

Afternoon passed into evening, and Amaranthas had just finished taking off her apron when she heard a loud and enthusiastic knock at her door. She stumped along the wooden floor, cane in hand, and smiling in anticipation, threw open wide the door . . .