The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting Support Group: Fighting post-RotK blues

Okay, I may be starting just a little early (five hours, for the midnight viewers, and fourteen hours for me), but I know it's going to be a very tough problem for a great many of us after the movie is over. It's going to be terribly sad! For the past three years, the Christmas season has meant several things: break from school (for some of us), Christmas (duh), and the excitement and joy of a new Lord of the Rings movie.<P>Now it's all going to be over. Yeah, we'll have the DVD, and the Extended Edition to look forward to, and maybe The Hobbit. But what then? It's just going to be sad! This has been going on for going on three to four years now! <P>But there is hope, namely, we can all look forward to the up and coming Narnia series. Think seven movies! That'll take up another sizable chunk of our lives, if it gets to be as big as LotR has.<P>Who's going to feel blue?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:20 AM   #2
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sure I'm not the only one who, wholly apart from what one may think of the movies, is GLAD it's over. For now.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:50 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't feel too bad yet about not having any more films. Obviously it's disappointing that there won't be any more big build-ups and premieres, but it's kind of nice to have a break. But next year I will definitely be blue.<P>We'll have to have a reminiscences thread for all those "d'you remember that Christmas when the Nazgul got his robes caught on the tree..." etc. Okay, so I doubt that really happened... but you know what I mean. All those great memories, and disasters, of the past three Christmases.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:50 AM   #4
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Even as the movie was ending, and Frodo was taking ship, I felt a pang of sadness for all of the anticipation and the thrill of the first viewing had ended. I'll see it a few more times in the theatre, watch the Oscars, then buy the DVDs, theatrical and extended. Then wait for THE HOBBIT, if ever. I may revise THE HOBBITS (see signature link) or even write more of that sort of thing. I'll of course go back to the books for the rest of my life as well, I'm sure.<P>I feel most sorry for the cast and crew. Elijah Woods most especially seems in all the interviews to be rather hard hit by the realization that it is just about over. All of the younger cast members seem to be taking it pretty hard.<P>Ah me. I'm assured now that this cinematic interpretation will be THE version, much like the 1939 Gone With The Wind. There will never be any point to doing it again, even if they got closer to the books than Peter Jackson's monumental effort. No one will ever think they could pull it off.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:08 AM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Blue?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #6
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Even as the movie was ending, and Frodo was taking ship, I felt a pang of sadness for all of the anticipation and the thrill of the first viewing had ended. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too. I could't help but feel blue after that! Post ROTK blues have already hit me - not too hard but they will. I still can't believe it's all over! What happened to all that time? <P>I know everyone says we'll have the DVDs and EE and such but - it's not the same. Life is about to change. What am I going to look forward to now?

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I'm just so filled with happiness and wonder at seeing the film that I cannot yet be unhappy. The bittersweet touch is still there, seeing Frodo leave like that. Yet, for all Christians, the promise of going to Heaven through Jesus helps sweeten the feeling, believe it or not. I look forward to seeing it again.<P>Still, I can't believe that it's over. What is to become of us? The Barrow-Downs suicide rate (oh wait, the idea is that we're already dead. Okay, resuscitation rate!) is probably going to go up...the Movies forum will slacken off. Oh, I can't think about it!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

ok, I finished seeing it 8 hours ago, and for while, felt as if I was in a dream, I was in such awe over having seen it. But now, I feel like bursting into tears! It's over!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:14 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well, you never know. Peter Jackson could someday end up making The Hobbit, or could make The Silmarillion into a mini-series or something like that. In my personal opinion, the movies will NEVER die!!!!!!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:27 PM   #10
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel half-&-half. I'm happy to get to see all three, almost like I accomplished something, like when I finished the books. But I'm sad too! What to do, what to do! I've never been this excited to see a movie, and it's...Gone!(like Frank Sinatra, like Elvis and his mom...)<P>So, now what? Shall we have a 'Victory party' for Gondor & Rohan winning? <P>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 12-17-2003, 11:57 PM   #11
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm not feeling the post-RotK blues just yet . . . I guess, sure, it's kind of sad that there'll be no more movies, but at the same time, I know I'll always have the books, and they just get better every time I read them - they're never the same, because I always end up seeing them from a different angle or noticing something new each time through. Also, it's kind of a nice satisfying feeling to see the trilogy finally concluded. If there's going to be any post-RotK blues for me, it will probably come when I realize I won't be seeing any more LotR movies in theatres again. <P>Actually (and perhaps this is kind of nuts) I thought it was more depressing to realize that I was never going to be *in* the Lord of the Rings movies. That was something I would have loved to do, just to be somewhere in the movie as an extra, just to say I was part of it. I would have loved being a Random Woman of Rohan. Or perhaps I'd make a pretty good Random Hobbit - I'm pretty short as it is.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:05 AM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, when it finished I was like "It's over, everything is over!” I waited for this day, but I also dreaded it. But we will all figure out something else to talk about here, most definitely. The films could never go on forever, and for me it is also slightly a relief, because I will never hear the "OMG, PJ cut out the Scouring of the Shire! Why?" question again. And I will not have to worry about learning one new thing they changed in the film and then stressing out about it.<P>I think everything will be fine. Of course it will be sad for a little while, but eventually our lives will get back to normal. We have been so lucky though. People are going to be viewing these films for years to come, and we will of course have stories about when we first saw them, and we will be able to discuss them! It will be great fun.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:16 AM   #13
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do not comprehend why a person would be sad that a movie series is completed. I am glad that I get to see them all now.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:36 AM   #14
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

ok, I'm not on the verge of tears anymore I'm back to being excited it's out, but a little sad it's over. I can't wait to see it again!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:48 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

C'mon, folks. Don't give in; not now! The movie will be in the theaters for a good three months or more, and then the video, and then the Extended Version. Season Three has just begun. I plan on seeing RotK in the theater at least ten times. <P>I heard from the ticket clerk at the theater that while Two Towers was running last year, there was a group of people who came to see Two Towers every week, same night. They saw it seventeen times. I'm gonna see if they (and my schedule) will let me join...
Old 12-18-2003, 08:28 AM   #16
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As I've said in another post, the feeling of sadness I now have is the greatest I've ever got from LOTR since reading the book for the first time over 20 years ago.<P>I was walking around in a stupor thinking about the film all day yesterday. I need to go see it again soon (Saturday!)<P>We still have the EE version which will be the definitive version to watch once it comes out, no matter what Mr Jackson says.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:18 AM   #17
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I've heard that reading is a good cure for the blues.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:26 AM   #18
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer dancing. Plus, I've put away all my books.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:40 AM   #19
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm trying to wean (sp?) myself off of LOTR now, although I'm just on the Pellenor fields. I'll probably finish the book off just to remind myself how much of Tolkien's text Jackson actually used. I read the last few pages (and tale of the years) to my wife after we finished watching the film, and I can't believe I didn't notice Gandalf's lines to Pippin re 'death' (ie silver glass etc) were from the end of the Grey Havens. How many times have I read the book? I need my memory fixing!<p>[ 6:58 AM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Essex ]
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:44 AM   #20
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I feel the emptiness now that it's over. I cried, I laughed and I thoroughly enjoyed myself last night. But now that the endlessm months of waiting are over...I don't know what I'll do. Actually I do...I'll see it again.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:58 AM   #21
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I still feel a little hazy, it's almost the same as when you finish the books, there is this sense of loss. The only difference is that the books get better and better the more you read them, whereas after a while with the films, you just start picking up on the things you don't like, or mistakes that were made. <BR>I'll very much miss Christmas without LotR, and it still hasn't sunk in that this was the last one. And I feel really sorry for the cast and crew. It must be really hard for them to say goodbye.<P><BR>To be a complete geek, I'll quote Empire-<BR>"Next Christmas will be a strange and perhaps lonely place but, rest assured, there is no need for anyone to ever imagine a world entirly without The Lord Of The Rings. Like Tolkien's celebrated novel, these magical movies will live forever."