The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #1401
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I just found out (on the Éowyn Challenge site) that Karen Wynn Fonstad passed away a week ago. For more about that, see this thread. I am shocked and saddened; she was one of the Rivendell Walkers, and her Middle-Earth Atlas was an invaluable resource for determining our routes. She has now gone on ahead, charting the paths westwards over the Sea. May we meet her there some day.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #1402
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Not much time to post but I thought I'd pop in to say hi and wish everyone who celebrates it a happy easter.

Quote:
You have walked 550 miles.
You have passed Barren Hills.
It is 20 miles to the next landmark.
You have 372 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

Gandalf walked in front, and with him went Aragorn, who knew this land even in the dark. The others were in file behind, and Legolas whose eyes were keen was the rearguard. The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers.
Also since I didnt join this thread or the eowynchallenge.net site until I had already started for Lorien I will tell you that I have walked 92 miles from Rivendell.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #1403
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have added something new to my customary walking - walking sticks! Not the traditional kind, not just one, but two modern, lightweight Nordic walking sticks. I don't know if that variation is as popular in the rest of the world as it is here, but I have heard so much about the added benefits that I decided to try it. At first I thought it looks rather silly, since it's a summer version of cross-country skiing to all appearances, but if I can get more benefits out of my walking time, and that with a reasonable investment, it's worth it!

As to my location, I suppose I'm on my way from Mt. Doom to Minas Tirith, but I'll have to look up the distance and figure it out backwards to know just where I am...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #1404
Anorial
Wight

Location: Walking with Frodo and Sam back to Rivendell! (2869 miles)
Anorial has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everybody *waves* it's been ages since I posted but I thought I'd pop in and let y'all know I'm still a-walking!

The Anduin has been very slow for me . Still nursing the hip. Working on bringing up my weekly mileage. Happy summer to you all and I hope all is well!

Cheers,
Anorial
Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #1405
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I thought I'd pop in with an update!

It's been 117 miles since I left Rivendell.

You have walked 575 miles.
You have passed Misty Mountain Foothills.
It is 40 miles to the next landmark.
You have 347 miles to reach Caras Galadon.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #1406
Anorial
Wight

Boots

Hi everyone! I'm still paddling down the Anduin and had some time to stop in. Pretty quiet in here!

Estelyn, I clicked on your blog link....if books were drinks, what would they be? Interesting! I shall ponder it on my walk this afternoon but my first reaction would be coffee! I have a somewhat dramatic off and on again affair going on with coffee but I find it a celebration, bracing, and a boon companion, all of which books can be How are those walking sticks working out for you? Any difference noticed?

Anyway, I hope y'all are doing well.

Cheers, Anorial
1030 miles (does this darn river ever end?)
Old 08-02-2005, 02:10 AM   #1407
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hi, Anoriel and elfearz! It's nice to have you checking in and to hear that you're still walking! No, I can't say that I've really noticed any difference walking with the "ski poles", so I'll just have to take the experts' word on the additional benefits...

By the way, the current "Crazy Captions" picture inspired me to use a Rivendell walkers caption - you can see it here.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #1408
Anorial
Wight

Hi everyone, I'm still walkin'! Are you?! I wish you all the best of the season!

Anorial
1397 miles
Old 12-17-2005, 03:19 AM   #1409
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hi again, Anorial! You're doing well! Yes, I'm still walking, though this thread has faded somewhat from its former glory, as has the original Éowyn Challenge site. I assume it's still functioning, though I haven't checked in for awhile. I should update my mileage and see how many shields I have now...
Old 12-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #1410
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf 118 miles

I havent been walking much lately, but next semester I am taking a power walking class for PE credit yay!

Last edited by elfearz1; 12-18-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #1411
Anorial
Wight

1420!

Estelyn, yes the Eowyn site is still working. There's a new Milestones page and a new Visitors page that maps the last 500 visitors by ISP address. It's very cool. The TORC site has gotten quite quiet too but the Yahoo site is booming....almost too much for some people . Elfearz (hi!!) has migrated over there as well.

Cheers! Anorial
Old 01-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #1412
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's the link to the new Milestones Page; I had to register anew as my data was no longer on the new page. I recommend that as many as possible of you register and update your mileage - let's get those black shields up and showing!

For those who want the link to the site: Éowyn Challenge

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 01-11-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #1413
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings to Estelyn, Anorial, and Elfearz! I'm beginning to get the impression that we're the only ones, but perhaps if we persist we'll inspire others.

In light of the new and improved database, I've decided simply to start over afresh. Consequently I'm at 2.70 miles. Seeing hardly a mile to my name will, I hope, inspire to walk and continue walking as I once again grow accustomed to setting aside that hour every day.

Continue on with your good walking, lassies!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #1414
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

yeah, it makes me sad to see so little black shields. I had my first powerwalking session today. +2 miles for me!

You have walked 631 miles.
You have passed High Vantage Point.
It is 29 miles to the next landmark.
You have 291 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

South of Rivendell they rose ever higher, and bent westwards; and about the feet of the main range there was tumbled an ever wider land of bleak hills, and deep valleys filled with turbulent waters. Paths were few and winding, and led them often only to the edge of some sheer fall, or down into treacherous swamps.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #1415
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Given that I walk a mile most days to and from the Bus Stop (that is, half a mile there and half a mile back) I decided to sign up now even though it's far too cold to do some serious walking. When summer comes around that shall change. I hope. I'm far behind you all but we shall see!!! you have not seen the last of Farael.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #1416
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

As I have no idea where in Middle-earth I'm wandering now, after having reached Rivendell, Lothlorien, and Mount Doom, we may just meet again somewhere! It's never too late to start, Farael. Elfearz, Nuru, nice to see you carrying on. Yes, it would be nice to have more black shields on the new page...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #1417
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
438 miles...

We may meet indeed, Esty, though I am a lazy walker - I've started a little bit more than an year ago, and haven't yet reached Rivendell. For the better, though - Sauron is no more, less (?) danger about, and my walk is a leasure, not a quest.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 AM   #1418
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

997 miles. Averaging less then 2 miles
a day yet .
But this challenge is a really good way to motivate
and see progress in walking/biking. It's rather
difficult (and boring) now since I'm on the
Anduin and it's necessary to keep walking
back and forth on those little elf boats!
Still, with orcs on both banks it's probably
safer then walking there.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #1419
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Thumbs up

Well, it took over a year and a half, but I've
finally passed 1,000 miles. Now I'm trying to
average 3 miles a day, but it's hard to do
so every day so 2 miles a day may be more
realistic.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #1420
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I feel quite humbled by Tuor's recent achievement, but I have just made my first modest 3 miles. Not a marathon by a long shot, but given that it's winter over here (and Winters can be quite bad) it's not too bad. This summer it'll be fun to see exactly how much I walk/run/bike. I've promised myself to get in shape so if I do, it will be fun.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #1421
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

Welcome Farael! Just remember that every step brings you closer to your goal!

You have walked 640 miles.
You have passed High Vantage Point.
It is 20 miles to the next landmark.
You have 282 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

South of Rivendell they rose ever higher, and bent westwards; and about the feet of the main range there was tumbled an ever wider land of bleak hills, and deep valleys filled with turbulent waters. Paths were few and winding, and led them often only to the edge of some sheer fall, or down into treacherous swamps.

Now that I'm not sick we've been making good time so Aragorn was kind enough to let us stop by a lovely tree and eat some berries. It was a brief stop, but so refreshing. It slowly wore away the dirt and exhaustion of the day. Well, can't dawdle too long!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #1422
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I walked my 3000th mile yesterday! And I'm still walking and still counting...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #1423
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

E.T.: So what's your average per day? I'm finding it
difficult to get the time, etc. to do 2 miles a day
average.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #1424
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm averaging about 4 miles a day now, though there are certainly times when I do less, especially when it's hot in the summer, icy in the winter - or when I'm lazy!

PS - It does help to have a dog - at least a mile or three daily are because of that duty...

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 05-08-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #1425
Anorial
Wight

Thumbs up 1902 miles

Hello everyone!!

Congrats to all on your achievements (and I see there have been many). I'm still on the Road. I reached Mt Doom on March 25th, the same day Frodo did (it was very cool though I had to push like mad for a couple of months to get there in time). I threw in my "ring" and starting walking out again. I didn't want to use the Eagle Emergency services since I wasn't in an emergency . It's taken me AGES to walk the 100 miles out of Mordor. Over 2 months!! But finally I am out of that blasted land and heading to Minas Tirith for the coronation (thankfully they are waiting for me lol....maybe I"m the one getting crowned??). So far this leg I've been averaging just over a mile a day.....ah how the mighty have fallen!! (I was averaging a whopping (whopping to me!) 3.5 miles per day on the push to get to Mt Doom). And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Nurumaiel, long time no see! Your new miles are really adding up, good job!

Welcome Farael! I hope it isn't the last we see of you! Keep adding up those half miles....you'll be surprised how well they do add up.

HerenIstarion, any walking is better than no walking. Congrats on passing Rivendell!!

Tuor, hang in there....the Anduin IS powerful boring but you'll really feel like you've achieved something when you're done. Congrats on your 1000th mile!!

Estelyn, congrats on your 3000th mile!! That's alot of miles

Elfearz, good job on trucking along! How's the Yahoo group doing? I haven't been there in months.

I'm glad to see some life on the board. Sparse though it may be, it's life! Happy trails everyone. Happy spring and upcoming summer too.

Good cheer, Anorial

Last edited by Anorial; 06-19-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Anorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #1426
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hello there, Anorial! It's nice to hear from you, and good to know that you're still walking with us. Don't worry about slowing down; I find I also have times when my progress is slower. But every mile adds up, especially if you keep at it for a long time.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #1427
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Anorial and Esty, I was so glad to see your posts up. I've been stalled for the past month... gardening, sewing, etc., but seeing the activity on the thread was just what I needed to get going again. I have been walking and running, but, shamefully, have not been keeping track of the mileage. I'll start keeping the Challenge in mind again.

I'm getting close to the Midgewater Marhses now. Not much inspiration there! But on the bright side, I have Strider now, so hopefully it will go by quickly.

Happy trails to all!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:08 AM   #1428
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Nice to see you posting, Nuru! It's good to know that our little walking fellowship inspired you to continue again. However, even if you didn't keep track of your mileage for awhile, the actual walking and running is the most important thing. Though I must say, the simple fact of recording my mileage does often encourage me to keep going or to walk an extra mile, so the Rivendell walk has certainly inspired me again and again.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #1429
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Will you welcome a "newcomer" who is only 3,000 miles behind everyone else? I've decided to get my behind off the chair and get in motion. (When I will find time for this is anyone's guess!)

Is the main website still active and working? Just curious, but are any of the other discussion groups still going....not that I am planning to migrate from the Downs.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #1430
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Child, well, you're only two hundred miles behind me! Welcome, welcome! Will you be joining us in the persona of Hobbit or Elf?

The main website is still up... how active it is I couldn't say. I occasionally go and check how many of the Walker communities are still up, and the only one I've found to be active still is the group at Weight Watchers.... in other words the group that started it all up.

I think their Yahoo! Group is still active as well, though I'm not a part of it.

And, of course, there's us.

Again, hearty welcomes!

Esty, 'tis correct that the mileage is important even when I'm not keeping track of it, but like you, it's inspiring to advance my way on the trails of Middle-Earth.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #1431
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

"Better late than never!" [Quiz question: Who says it?]

Welcome, Child - it's never too late to start. Slow and steady does it - when you've been at it for three years like I have, you will have collected many miles of your own!

Yes, the Éowyn Challenge site is still up and running, and there are still people updating their mileage on the shields page. The mixture of various groups is still visible, so I'm assuming that each group still has members involved, though the reprogramming of the shields page means some old names and mileages were lost.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #1432
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks for that information. Does anyone use a pedometer? Do the crazy things work, or is it just better to estimate miles? I've actually done a fair amount of walking in my life but never kept track of miles.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #1433
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

What I did (since I don't trust my strides to be even enough for accuracy with a pedometer) was to drive along my usual walks, checking the mileage on the car's counter. (Is it called speedometer? That doesn't sound right - I've forgotten the English word!) Then I knew how much time I needed for that distance, approximately, and now I usually estimate on that basis. That's close enough for me. If in doubt, I give myself a bit less - after all, that doesn't mean I don't have the benefit of the exercise.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #1434
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Leaf

Quote:
Thanks for that information. Does anyone use a pedometer? Do the crazy things work, or is it just better to estimate miles? I've actually done a fair amount of walking in my life but never kept track of miles.
As the elves would say, both yes and no. It's almost impossible
to get one precisely right. I also tried using a car's speedometer, but
a better way, if available to you, is to use a trail marked out (there
are several in Southeast Pennsylvania- the Wissahickon and Pennypack
Creek walks- that have mileage by 1/2 and miles. You can get close
to accurate that way, but I also try to slightly understimate the
amount walked, rather then overestimate.

And has anyone had the courage to try to formulate a Walking
to (through?) Beleriand? It would, like the latter LOTR walk, be
broken up but, if possible to even generally calculate, would be
interesting, perhaps starting with the flight of the Noldor from
Aman through their initial encounters with Morgoth and the death
of that hothead Feanor.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #1435
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

You have walked 793 miles.
You have passed The West Door of Moria.
It is 2 miles to the next landmark.
You have 129 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

The Moon now shone upon the grey face of the rock; but they could see nothing else for a while. Then slowly on the surface, where the wizard's hands had passed, faint lines appeared, like slender veins of silver running in the stone. At first they were no more than pale gossamer-threads, so fine that they only twinkled fitfully where the Moon caught them, but steadily they grew broader and clearer, until their design could be guessed.

Hello everyone. I hope I am finding you all well. I have started slowly walking again after a long pause. Well, I haven't reached Lothlorien yet, even though I had hoped to much earlier this year. Oh well, I do feel much better since starting this challenge and when I added weight watchers to the mix I lost 40lbs. I don't know if any of you remember, but I posted a while back about some hardships I faced in my life. (You can find the thread here)

I think I really am ok now. I've fought many internal ringwraiths and won.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #1436
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Good for you, elfearz! We may have setbacks (I had some pretty lazy days over the holiday season), but the important thing is never to give up. You'll outrun those ringwraiths someday...
Old 06-23-2007, 05:15 AM   #1437
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hello there, Walkers! Are any of you still keeping track of your Middle-earth mileage? I passed the 4000 mile mark last week and will continue counting, even if it adds up slowly. After all, a tortoise may win where a rabbit fails!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #1438
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I just got to 300 miles. Yea!

And things seem to be improving at present for
Frodo and Sam. (Perhaps Gollum's given up on following them
to get the Precious)?
He doesn't seem to be around.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #1439
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf still keeping track! I can't wait till I reach Lorien!

You have walked 840.5 miles.
You have passed Lórien Eaves.
It is 12.5 miles to the next landmark.
You have 81.5 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

There lie the woods of Lothlórien! ' said Legolas. `That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold. Not till the spring comes and the new green opens do they fall, and then the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden, and golden is the roof, and its pillars are of silver, for the bark of the trees is smooth and grey. So still our songs in Mirkwood say. My heart would be glad if I were beneath the eaves of that wood, and it were springtime!'
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #1440
Anorial
Wight

Boots Still walkin'! (and sometimes running)

Welcome to the Road Child! Never too late to start....ever! Some of us have been on the Road for years because (are you ready?) the Road goes ever on!! I do use a pedometer though not so much any more. I tend to do the same routes and they don't get any longer or shorter

Hello Nuru, Estelyn, Tuor and Elfearz! *waves*

Elfearz, congrats on fighting off your ringwraiths!

I'm still walking. I've been a little lax these past 5 weeks and my butt is growing so it's time to knuckle in! I was shopping for my first home which was very exciting. I move in August 19th! I'm doing well on the walking overall and I'm at 2869 miles. Woo-hoo! I've got about 368 miles before I reach Rivendell again. I wonder if Bilbo will still be there? He should be .

It's good to see people continue posting here. I find I enjoy the smaller sites the most....the Yahoo group is so huge and active I get overwhelmed by all the messages. So it's good to see new posts here!

Big hugs all,
Anorial