The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #361
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
After all this, a tie. That's what I was going for an hour ago!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #362
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I think I might rather see a double lynch than a random dice roll.

Cause you know the survivor of the two will start tomorrow under the gun.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #363
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

oh, I don't know about that. I was tied with Boromir Day 1 and I'm still here.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #364
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

No, as I retracted Roa, Esty will be the one lynched.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #365
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Day has ended. I'll delay posting a narrative just long enough to infuriate you all.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #366
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
So if I had stayed happily asleep, would I have survived instead?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #367
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Hee hee... is anyone else chuckling? That last few minutes was crazy!

Er... I guess you're probably not chuckling, Esty. You're on the chopping block.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #368
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think Fea said that in the case of a deuce she will flip a coin - and that means... that she will flip a coin in her way?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #369
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

What would be amusing is if we caused a tie and Fea flipped the coin but it landed on its side.

I suppose that would mean that SPM would die, right?

It was fun, Esty. I tried to save you. Die honorably, and rest in peace.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #370
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
So if I had stayed happily asleep, would I have survived instead?
Ironic, isn't it?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #371
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Hmm... Kath gets off, while Esty gets lynched.

I think it's obvious what the secret to survival is in this village.

Stay in bed and don't post.

Let this be a lesson to us all.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #372
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Well, then I ought to survive to live a long and healthy life, as I likely won't be around at all next Day, due to spending the first half of it at work and the second half sleeping.

I have now given up waiting for Fea's narration.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #373
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Consider the delay a punishment for talking after bedtime. Bad children, Day is over.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #374
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The Dark Lady sipped red wine from a tall goblet and considered the actions of the village. She gazed past the constraints of time and space and there communed with the restless dead. She smiled cruelly, and asked them their thoughts. They laughed and continued to do so until she grew weary of them and returned to the senses of her own world, watching in quiet preoccupation.

"The first thing we do," the Scholar muttered, "is kill all the lawyers."

This seemed good to the village, and they gathered round him. And yet he escaped with his life, directing attention to another in their company: the sweet maiden, the nurturing maiden, now wretched with fear.

"Take my milk for gall, you murdering ministers," she cried as the village dragged her forth, "wherever in your sightless substances you wait on nature's mischief! Come, thick night, and pall thee in the dunnest smoke of burning regret!"

When death proved her words to be true, the village caught their breath and felt more sadness than ever yet before. They laid the innocent milkmaid near to the gravedigger, and spoke many praises of her.

And as they locked their doors and asked themselves to sleep through the nightmare of the waking world, some thought they heard a sigh on the wind.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #375
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Consider the delay a punishment for talking after bedtime. Bad children, Day is over.
But what do you expect? You set up a random game, threw out rules the children were expecting and then laughed at their confusion. Then, when an interloper inadvertently arrived, you accepted the unexpected appearance and regaled in the possibilities the appearance presented. And you expect things not to change, not to be other than what your original song considered?

You brought the perilous realm to WW. Why complain when others explore that realm?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #376
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

One woman of the village had lain awake, watching the fading wick and flickering flame, touching her fingertips to the melted wax and rolling it to soft putty between them. She had loved the gravedigger as a brother, and she had wept over his senseless death, and she had known... known it could not be long for her. When her companions, her deadly companions, had spoken against her, she had known.

She laid awake in the darkness, watching her light dwindle, feeling the draft through the open window she had been certain to close and lock. She knew. She had heard the call, seen the darkest sliver of night in motion. It was time, and she whispered pretty thoughts, sad thoughts, thoughts of days she could not know to herself with brief clarity of finality.

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow," she murmured, no fear in her eyes, "creeps in this petty place from day to night and night to day, to the last syllable of recorded time; and all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life is nothing. This too brief life is nothing; fleeting and bitter and cruel. We are all but walking shadows."

She looked to her ceiling and let her eyes close. A soft tendril breath of breeze unlit her candle, and as the dark came, so did her long goodnight.

When the village awoke, their sweet Roa was not amongst them.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #377
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I was about to leap in with posting and give my thoughts, but instead I wish to sit back and observe for a bit. I have what I believe to be a couple of important points to make, but if I post them, I'm afraid that if my thoughts are too compelling in certain areas some of you might just use me as the starting point and take off from there. Instead of that happening I should very much like to see how some of you would choose to start the day yourself and to see which path you would have us follow without anyone else running ahead first.

I will post a tally and a voting breakdown of yesterday in the next little while, but that's all for a bit.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 PM   #378
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Yesterday's voting-

Ang for SPM (1)
Roa for Esty (1)
Esty for SPM (2)
SPM for Roa (1)
Mith for Esty (2)
Ang take back SPM (1)
Ang for Roa (2)
Nog for Kath (1)
Di for Kath (2)
Di take back Kath (1)
Di for SPM (2)
Esty take back SPM (1)
Esty for Roa (3)
Nog take back Kath (0)
Nog for Esty (3)
tp for Roa (4)
SPM take back Roa (3)
SPM for Esty (4)
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 PM   #379
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

THE LIVING-

Anguirel
Diamond18
Kath
Mithalwen
Nogrod
the phantom
The Saucepan Man

THE DEAD-

Boromir88 (innocent)- bravely faced the gallows on Day 1
mormegil (innocent)- bled by the WWs on Night 2
Eomer of the Rohirrim (Werewolf)- outed by shrewd villagers on Day 2
littlemanpoet (innocent)- lain carefully in grave on Night 3
Estelyn Telcontar (innocent)- kicked the bucket on Day 3
Roa_Aoife (innocent)- dreams invaded by a WW on Night 4
Old 11-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #380
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Bleh... I just thought of something.

Five of our remaining seven won't be posting any time soon because they're across the pond from me, and the person on this side (Di) has said that she will not be showing up today.

I can talk right now, but I will have to sleep and then I have a busy morning, so I won't be able to get into it till the latter third of the day.

Can I wait that long before giving my thoughts?

I'm deciding...
Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #381
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Uhg. I very very much wanted to see what would happen if I allowed others to post first. I wanted to keep my eyes open for some things. But timing is against me. I feel the need to speak now, for all of you likely won't give me anything to respond to until I'm in bed, and tomorrow I won't be able to post probably until the eight-hours-left mark.

So, grudgingly, here are my thoughts.

Roa died? Hmmm.....

This selection was not what I expected. Will it throw us off course, or help us zero in on the culprit?

The first thing that comes to mind is that Roa's death leaves us with a name- SPM.

Early in the day she spent a good deal of time on SPM, and he was at that point her primary suspect along with Esty.

Roa's list can be found here.

I'm wondering about SPM... the night before, lmp was killed, and when hearing the news I imagine most of you immediately thought of SPM due to the bickering that took place the day before. And then last night, Roa is killed, and her remaining suspect is none other than SPM.

Is SPM a WW making ridiculously bold choices and assuming that everyone will think no WW would ever do such a thing, or does someone really really want to set up SPM for a lynch?

Regarding the idea that SPM is being set up, Nogrod would be my primary suspect. Not only did he point suspicion towards SPM yesterday, but he also showed some late faith in Roa, and she had him as one of two on her "probably innocent" list, which makes him look good today.

But then again, perhaps killing Roa was an attempt to get us to do exactly as I have done, which is make this a two horse race between SPM and someone who comes to be suspected as setting SPM up. Maybe we shouldn't let that happen?

Then let's try something else. Let me ask you this- with Roa's death is there anyone who is likely to fade away somewhat? Di perhaps? She attracted votes on day 1 and fewer on day 2 and then none yesterday. And Di had very nice standing on Roa's list- right at the top as "probably innocent" (along with Nog).

And conveniently, Di has announced that she will be completely absent today. Is she a WW not only banking on us turning today into a two horse race, but also counting on us giving her the same pass that we gave to Kath yesterday?

And also, has anyone noticed that the victim every night has been from my side of the Atlantic? A coincidence, or strategy? It seems to me that the schedule benefits someone from America, for they can easily be present at the beginning and end of every day, and thus set the tone as well as use their vote well.

Is the WW a European seeking to be rid of its American opponents who find the schedule so accommodating, or is the WW Di, and she thinks that having villagers all from a different region than her will cause the lynchee to emerge from their ranks every time, for they will all be present and arguing at the same time, where as she will be safely gone during the heat of battle, and can use her convenient time-zone to set the tone early and decide the voting late.

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #382
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I haven't much time as I will be out (Christmas shopping ) for most of toDay and will be unlikely to return for some 5 or 6 hours.

I have half a mind to suggest lynching the phantom simply for his insufferable comments during, and in the aftermath of, the chaos that surrounded yesterDay's lynching, particularly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
As for the reasoning which led to Esty's lynching, I would observe that three of us (at least two of whom are innocent) believed that Esty's reappearance at such an hour looked Wolfish. I still think that it was a valid basis for for changing my vote. Moreover, had she not been lynched, then Roa would most probably have been and, going by this Wolf's modus operandi, Esty would have been killed in the night.

Which brings me to Roa as choice of victim. I really cannot fathom that one out. She was almost lynched yesterDay and I, for one, would have started toDay with her high on my list of suspects. I am sure that I am not the only one. So why kill a villager who was so likely to be "in the mix" when it came to toDay's voting?

Possibly to frame me and/or (on the basis of the phantom's reasoning) Noggie, but is that worth removing someone who was likely to assist in shielding the Wolf from being lynched?

I find it strange that the last two Night's kills have been villagers who have had their fair share of suspicion, while all of those who have generally featured on most people's "probably innocent" lists are still with us, namely:

the phantom
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Anguirel

I was sure that one of the above would be killed last Night.

The remaining villagers - Kath, Diamond and me - have all come under heavy suspicion at some time or other. If one of these three was a Wolf, they would be playing a rather risky game.

I am led to wonder whether the Wolf is one of those who has hitherto not come under much suspicion and so has felt relatively safe in killing off suspected villagers who leave trails to other suspected villagers.

That said, TP and Noggie came across as innocent to me during the confusion surrounding yesterDay's lynch (TP's self-serving farewell to Esty apart), while I have little basis at present for suspecting either Mith or Ang.

I really am rather stumped at the moment. Hopefully, a trip to the shops will inspire me and I will have had some better thoughts by the time I return.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:16 AM   #383
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
Roa died? Hmmm.....

This selection was not what I expected.
I might think almost the contrary. I guess there is a bunch of reasons why the WW would like to get rid of Roa.

At least any sane WW would be somewhat afraid of Roa's analysis falling on her/him. So getting rid of Roa now would be understandable as it started to look like a few of the louder / more involved villagers were beginning to trust her (trust and trust... well not suspect her too much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
the survivor of the two will start tomorrow under the gun.
So no one under the gun to begin with toDay and thence a good kill? Maybe. But actually I tend to think it the other way around. To my experience it seems to happen quite frequently that those running close lynching the previous Day do turn out relatively safe the next. Why is that I'm not so sure about, psychology-stuff...? In this game tp f.ex. was almost lynched on Day1 here and after that has gathered no votes at all.

Her death also creates a lot of confusion if we wish to look at all this being straightforward, bluffing, double-bluffing stuff. tp mentioned a few possibilities. But we should also note how her death makes all those who were happily lynching her or decided not to involve themselves a bit suspicious. Looking at how different people reacted to that last minute frenzy might also be revealing but can surely also mislead.

With a quick skim through last action yesterDay I would say that Spm looked quite earnest indeed, trying to go for the best of the village, tp was a bit detached although he actively tried to get Roa killed and Di was somewhat standing aside just looking over things. I mean this is something even experienced WWs forget many times: in the heat of last minute voting the innocents fear the result and try their best to the last but as the wolf has no panic her/himself, the wolf tends to be more relaxed and easy. And when it's a question of just last minutes people have not so much time to scheme everything and are more likely to actually reveal their real stances...
Old 11-19-2006, 05:54 AM   #384
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I tend to agree with Spm that the wolf might be better caught from those with little or no suspicions than from those who are at gunpoint everyday. Unfortunately we have no such persons here.

Looking at the latest happenings that might give Spm and possibly Kath some relative safety. I'm not sure whether I would be totally happy with that, but as a working hypothesis might start with it. Even though it's pretty convenient to lay out a rule that makes the one presenting it to be safe... *coughSpmcough*

But really, there seems to be quite many people here with no actual suspicion around. A bit too many. Mith and Ang have been astonishingly at peace in here. That kind of worries me. tp has been here, there and everywhere but still quite safely without votes other than the first-Day ones. Di gathered votes on first two Days but seems to have been forgotten now?

I will probably start with these four latter ones as I come back a bit later.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #385
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye last post for a while

I have a quick chance to post, but I won't be able to again for about five hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
I have half a mind to suggest lynching the phantom simply for his insufferable comments during, and in the aftermath of, the chaos that surrounded yesterDay's lynching, particularly:
Quote:
Say what you want, SPM, but I don't take that comment back. The fact is, it is so rare to have Esty in a village and she is such a delightful person that I felt the need to say goodbye upon her death. It was the first time she has ever died, for she lived to be victorious in her first village (which was my village if you recall, WW XII).

And not only that, but at the end I was quite sure that she was innocent, and so I wished her a good death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
As for the reasoning which led to Esty's lynching, I would observe that three of us (at least two of whom are innocent) believed that Esty's reappearance at such an hour looked Wolfish.
You seriously need to recondsider what looks Wolfish. I will repost what I said towards the end of yesterday-
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So how come you are here if you're not wholly disturberd about your fate and why to be disturbed about a game if you were not indeed the wolf?
I don't agree with your reasoning. Why shouldn't an innocent want to save his own life?

The ONLY way for an innocent to guarantee victory for the village is to be the last person standing himself, for an ordo knows ONLY his OWN identity for sure.

Should an ordo be willing to sacrifice his own life? If there is a Seer or other gifted to protect, then yes, but there are none such individuals here. I personally have no plans of letting myself die at any point, and therefore I refuse to condemn Esty for it.
++Roa
The fact is, as "Wolfish" as you thought Esty's behavior was, to me she started looking more innocent with every post and by the time it was all decided and I made my "die honorably" comment I was more certain of her innocence than anyone else.

There! I just thought I had to say that because your view on what is Wolfish so often gets me angry. In game after game you are always on and on about how someone putting up a fight and refusing to be lynched is Wolfish, and that notion is so incredibly wrong. I'll never understand that logic.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #386
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silent as the grave, my comrades. Hmmm.

So passed Esty, ungratefully hanged, and Roa, guilty of nothing but exuberance.

I am tempted to ponder the nature of this Lady who reigns over us, to tangle with the rumours, the myths and the legends.

Some say that, maddened by the contempt with which she was spurned by a mischievous spirit of ethereal and arrogant substance, she determined to yoke all others into slavery or subsume them in death, while displaying that she knew more literature than they did.

Others say that she is the true Queen of this World, and schemes to elect a spouse or sibling fit to reign beside her.

But there is a third legend, which speaks of a woman ignorant of the village laws but well-versed in poetry and bardic knowledge from far lands, who will challenge the basis of the Dark Lady's rule, who will refuse to bend the knee to her power, and who will set herself up in triumph over her, delivering poor mortals.

The name of the Dark Lady of old was ++FEANOR OF THE PEREDHIL.

The name of the lady from the strange country is Bethberry. I solemnly invoke her mysterious power!

(Come on, let's lynch Fea and declare Bethberry our new Empress. I want to see the results.)

(And yes, I will consider a serious approach, pending future events.)
Old 11-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #387
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
My no show yesterDay is explained on the other thread, but I repeat my apologies here.

I think that many of the people who said my silence would be a fantastic tactic for a wolf are absolutely right. You guys suspected me, set me up for lynching and then saved me from it within 24 hours, without me saying a word. It is possible that Di is trying the same trick toDay, but I want to go over her posts before I agree or disagree with that.

Right now I'm just popping in to show my face. I will be back later and play catch up properly.

One quick thought though. Those who are dying at Night ... morm, lmp and Roa. Is there anything that links them? Were they all playing slightly differently to usual? Were they the least or most confrontational. I'm just trying to figure out if there has been a pattern to the kills.

Anyway, give me 3/4 hours and I'll return, hopefully with something useful.

Oh, and one more thing, if we lynch the second werewolf toDay or tomorrow, will we know that we have done so?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #388
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I'm back, frazzled from a day's shopping and still utterly clueless.

Quote:
In game after game you are always on and on about how someone putting up a fight and refusing to be lynched is Wolfish, and that notion is so incredibly wrong. I'll never understand that logic.
Yes, I have read your reasoning on Esty's reappearance (although not before changing my vote) and understand what you are saying. It does not change my view. None of the innocents are Gifteds. As matters stand, if an innocent is lynched, the village can still win. If the Wolf dies, he/she loses. I therefore think that a Wolf is more likely to put up more of a fight.

We differ on this. Let's just leave it at that.

I am tempted to vote for Anguirel for his continued Nero-istic behaviour. While your jocular approach is delightful as always, my dear fellow, it would be helpful if you would share a few of your more sensible thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Oh, and one more thing, if we lynch the second werewolf toDay or tomorrow, will we know that we have done so?
Yes, I believe so. We were told of Esty's innocence.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #389
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Blimey .. that is a surprise ......... to kill someone that no one could possible ever discount as a wolf without a seer's confirmation is either brave, foolish or eccentric ..... mind you ... sorry I am so late .. drank more wine with lunch than compatible with driving any sooner ... and I really thought there was a good chance I would be the kill .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #390
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

OK, I'm not going to be able to be around later, so I must vote now. And I still feel pretty clueless.

However, a few things have coalesced in my mind re-reading the chaotic events at the end of yesterDay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
With a quick skim through last action yesterDay I would say that Spm looked quite earnest indeed, trying to go for the best of the village, tp was a bit detached although he actively tried to get Roa killed and Di was somewhat standing aside just looking over things.
That struck a chord with me, and I do feel that Nogrod's participation was genuine and earnest. While Diamond's presence, having spent her votes, is somewhat disconcerting as I look back, the phantom's detachment is even more so. Personally, I was rather flummoxed by the whole affair (and having consumed the best part of a bottle of wine didn't help), yet the phantom remained calm and calculating and chose not to reveal much in the way his thoughts were going until it was all but too late. He was, of course, in no danger himself.

Also, as Nogrod noted, he was actively trying to kill Roa. And who should die that Night? Why, Roa, of course. Which points towards the phantom. But who would think the phantom crazy enough to kill the person he was activley trying to get lynched the Day before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
to kill someone that no one could possible ever discount as a wolf without a seer's confirmation is either brave, foolish or eccentric ...
That struck a chord too. The two most recent kill choices were strange ones. Perhaps this Wolf is one who is trying to give himself more of a challenge by killing off the more suspected villagers and leaving the less suspected ones. The phantom himself stated early on that, given the random nature of this game, he would feel little pride in winning it as a Wolf. Perhaps, therefore, having been selected as a Wolf, he is trying to make it more of a challenge for himself.

That and my paranoia finally won out ...

++ the phantom
Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #391
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And scarily quiet ...

Mith and Ang have been astonishingly at peace in here.
Noggin do you mean with each other or in our own skins?

Well I don't trust any of you absolutely but I needed a much smaller range of options to pick Ang out last time .... I am at peace for there is little I can do but vote as best I can .. no "executive stress" of decision making that go with being a wolf or a gifted .... I do find it a little ironic that haiving been told with justification that I take this game too seriously I now am looking suspicious for being too relaxed .... .

Old 11-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #392
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

There is that other outside possibility that Morm was a wolf and Fea is messing with our heads by picking off unlikely folk at night..

Old 11-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #393
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Mith and Ang have been astonishingly at peace in here.
Noggin do you mean with each other or in our own skins?
I meant that in peace and quiet from all the suspicions and open debate. So somehow shadowy. You do not make too many open points or neither are pointed to by others. That I find a bit worrysome right now.

I'm look at Ang's posting right now and will try to get it finished (there sure is quantity in Day1!).
Old 11-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #394
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well in my case I know it simply is that I am not a wolf. Also it has been very quiet when I have been able to be online.... people I might have expected to be around haven't *gives Nogrod a pointed look*

I think it was you who said something about my Bethberry vote being safe looking back ... well hindsight is great isn't it? But anyone who has played a few games of werewolf knows how people can get lynched for very little on day one.

Voting for Bethberry would not have been be a good choice for a wolf because:

a, far too attention seeking and conspicuous.

b, there was a possibility that others might have joined me "in a let's see what happens" approach..... now as has been pointed out, wolfs as lone operators are nearer their goal if anyone else gets lynched. The risk of "wasting" a kill on Bethberry would to my mind rile the wolves more than innocents. A couple of people were anti my punt I must look back and see who they were.

Paranoia does seem to be taking root... heigho...

Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #395
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Anguirel's posting, a synopsis in shorthand.

DAY1
#6 Refuting tp’s pessimistic post. Discussion on wolf-tactics. Joke on Mith. Suggesting a blind lynch. Ready to lynch Roa with Boro. Being optimistic. All in light way.

#13 Refutes Spm’s theory of competing wolves. Suggests looking at any peronal feuds between the players as hints to Fea’s picks.

#16 Following Eomer’s point on game’s end suggests that “we're probably going to be stuck as the Dark Lady's pawns for the rest of eternity”. Joke on Esty.

#22 Jokes Kath for the grudge-list saying he wouldn’t live too long with that. Then giving tp and Boro & Kath as his possible grudges...

#26 Giving his view of the WW-credentials of everyone in the village. As he himself concludes: pretty scant.

#33 After tp made him and Esty to top his guesses for Fea picks, he calls tp having an inflexible dogma and thence innocentish. Saying the picks are not totally handmade and there is randomity too. So we should not go for Esty either just like that.

#43 Taking Fea’s point of view. Wolves will be a team, tp will be an extra fenris wolf, there might be Diamantine surprises.

#48 Votes tp on the basis of Di’s scenario that tp will not doe in this game. Joking challenge to tp.

#59 Reports on Fea’s clarification: no one can be ruled out as one of the wolves is random. Sticking to his vote.

#62 Notes that quite a many would be “obvious” to be picked by Fea (mainly tp, Eomer, lmp and himself). Suggests we stick to seeing the choice as a random. Sticking to his vote to give tp a chance to join the fenris-clan.

#64 The literature student’s response.

#71 Jokes on tp’s joking defence of himself. Jokingly defends himself over Mith’s joke on him. Not suspecting Boromir. If seriously hunting a wolf then would go on Nogrod as he’s been too quiet and his Spm suspicion was specious.

#75 Going back to old games to answer tp’s comments.

#77 Asking about the deadline.

DAY2
#165 Saying his determined to catch a wolf and drops his suspicion on tp (jokes on how hard it is). Thinking Morm was innocent as well as have thought Boro innocent also.

#167 Strongly refuting tp’s points about there being hints to us in Fea’s narrations.

#168 Noting the term “newest” slaves in the narration, Wondering if that could be a valid thing to hint.

#173 Laments if the meaning of existence (eg. Fea’s hints) are in a blog he can’t get himself to see. Admits that tp has answered plausibly.

#207 Gives his thoughts on other players. Ending with: “I am most likely to vote for Kath [not engaging in duels, and killing morm might be a double-bluff combined with pragmatism], Nogrod [still a bit unnerved by Nogrod and think he could be lying low] or Elempi [If I have one major worry, it is that an innocent LMP should be attacking Sauce more vehemently...], with the phantom hanging in as the "Anguirel possessed by rage and envy" candidate.”

#217No; I will not cast away my physic but on those which are sick.

#219 Reveals his “Kath honeytrap” and declares Eomer had fallen into it. Votes Eomer.

#233 Pleads us not to lynch Di and jokes on Eomer.

DAY3
#275 Admitting that his honeytrap was no ploy, but revealing it was to get evidence and to get people to vote for Eomer. Queries tp why he is not so sure of Nogrods innocence anymore? Jokes on tp. Says lmp’s death would fit the pattern of killing the “relatively quiet and trailless”.

#288 Wonders about tp’s and Spm’s “superfluous reasoning” over lmp’s death. Thinks Spm might act like he does if innocent. As we have a great advantage in numbers and will not win anyhow even if we catch a wolf he will be “relax and revert to a bit of grudge-fulfillment. I can't really be bothered to wolf-hunt when it leads not to victory”. Still says that Di is not guilty, and Kath seems innocent too.

#293 Argues with Spm about Fea’s endgame rules and thence promises to fiddle all he likes.

#294 Agrees with Spm about Kath’s vote.

#297 Votes Spm on the basis of his interpretation of the endgame rules.

#307 Accepting Spm’s points and giving out an air of trust. Still going to stick with his (self-admittedly) groundless vote to watch more “nail-biting”.

#314 Gives his Day3 summary on everyone. Suspects Roa the most but will stick his vote on Spm, tp he might also lynch.

#315 His conscience intervened: retracted Spm and voted for Roa.

#316 post-edit about capitals.

DAY4
#386 Calls us to follow his example and vote for Fea.

A few thoughts to follow...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #396
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

In my case, I'm ashamed to say, I've been absorbed in the literary analysis of the latest 007 flick...marvellous...

I think my Fea vote is quite Bondian and stylish so I shall let it rest, but I do heartily exhort that Kath not be jumped on automatically...despite the phantom's eloquent point about her and Esty's contrasting styles and fates, which does resonate a lot.

If I survive to the next dawn, you'll be back to a full-blooded, genuine Ang contribution, complete with added hairs and claws, grrrr, grrrr, ho ho ho. I shall talk you all into a ferment...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #397
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Oh, and I'm getting suspicious of the phantom and less so of Nogrod. Why? To summarise briefly, Nogrod seems to be bringing up more complications, subtleties and options, whereas the phantom seems to glance about so blasted clearly. I don't much like it.

Vote Fea.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #398
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

The thing I find somewhat uncomforting is that he seems to have no real suspicions. I know it's not easy to come up with anything "substantial" in this kind of game but still he seems to play very safely indeed. I mean he is not going openly towards anyone (Roa excluded) and each time he airs a suspicion he kind of backs it with reservations or talking nicely. Look at his interactions with tp and Spm, at lesser level with myself too. Accusations, suspicions, arguments and always coming back with positive evaluations. He also seems pretty active in backing the innocence of Di and lately also Kath. Trying to assure enough friends he is then? Making too much friends to look innocent? A wolf's main concern during the Days is self-preservation, an innocent's to pick the wolves. On these standards Ang seems to be more up to the first than the second option.

I'm surely having some suspicions on Ang now.

I'll be back in something like two hours (for not a too long period of time, sadly).
Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #399
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

TP' knowingness (is that even a word) still bothers me ... need ot stop talking on IM and read again .. .

Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #400
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Premature riposte...

There's daggers in men's smiles,
The near in blood, the nearer bloody.