The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe The Soddit

I'm not sure if it belongs here or in Mirth but its a book so I'll post it here. Has anyone else read 'The Soddit' by A.R.R.R Roberts and what are your thoughts on it?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand Is this even vaguely Tolkien-related?

Is this even vaguely Tolkien-related?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Esty just bought a copy, perhaps you could PM her.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
'The Soddit' is Tolkien-related, since it's a parody of 'The Hobbit', just like 'Bored of the Rings' is a parody of LotR. I just finished reading it; it's amusing, but I'll have to think about it before saying more.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Ah. That info, if included in the original post of this thread, would have saved it from my evil eye. It was one step away from being cast into the flames.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Haven't read it, but I know the author has another 'parody' out soon - The Sellamillion:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...113471-9748605

I did laugh a couple of times at Bored of the Rings, but this whole parody thing is not for me, I'm afraid.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

That's an interesting comment, davem. What is it about parody that attracts some and not others? I might direct this question to Estelyn as well, who bought and talked about this particular book during our meetings in London and who of course is known to dabble occasionally in parody of her own.

Why do some fans enjoy parodies of what they like and others not? This is not to say either perspective is right or wrong, but simply to consider some of the things we look for and value when we read. Does parody allow us some gentle distance from something that we might otherwise become obsessive about or does it suggest somehow a critique of its original? Is parody an inferior genre in that it clearly "depends" upon a precursor text? I don't think there is, in theory at least, a hard and fast line between parody and satire, but do general readers make such a distinction?

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-30-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 AM   #8
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saurreg has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saurreg Send a message via MSN to Saurreg
Hmm, Webster's states that both parody and satire are the same. A "spoof" of the original. Maybe you can tell me what's the difference Bęthberry because I'm afraid of misinterpreting your post.

I know two types of people who like parodies; the first are people who are acquainted with the original work the parody is based on and would not mind viewing the work in an askewed perspective for a good laugh or to view the original work in another angle as additional food for thought. These people like the original work but are generally casual and easy-going over it. Not "too-into-it" and "taking-it-easy" are the orders of the day here.

The second group of people are more disturbing because they did not like the orginal work and hope that the parody likens the work to their point of view (courage in numbers maybe?) and reinforce their prejudice. Such people are rare but they do exist.

Similarly I can think of two types of people who distain parodies. The first group are fervert diehard royalists of the author or the ideas pertaining in the original work. They are so completely enamored/enticed that they view any askewed or even slightly different interpretation of the work as "sacrilegious blasphemy" because it threatens their own convictions in their beliefs and ideas on the work. Such xenophobic attitude may stem from fear of being "wrong" in their current thoughts and also perhaps the desire of keeping what little self-solace one can derive from such beliefs and convictions.

The second group of people are what I term as "chivalrists" They believe that it is morally wrong to take the work of another and twist it either to insult or make fun of. These chivalrists are either traditional in mindset or are generally compassionate and sympathetic. Alternatively, chivalrists could behave they way they do out of cowardice or insecurity. If it could happen to them, it could happen to you. So let's strike first.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I was not sure about Board of the Rings, sure its a parody, which normally I enjoy, but this did not seem... ... ... how shall I put this... ... ... ... 'Real’ enough. If you know what I mean. If you don't, let me explain.
The kind of thing I was expecting was I parody that tried to Look real, but wasn't. If you have ever seen "The Day today" you may understand this a little more.
This Sellamillion, looks interesting, but will probably be more of the same.

I once wrote my own parody of Sillm, it was called, "The World of the Lords" and went a little something like this;
Quote:
The World of the Lords
By J.R.R.R. Arrrr

Moreover, Olméth was warming at the foot of the mount; his hairs were teared with flame, and so summoned he the creature Swolfthron, the beast rose from the deepest chasms to the very rocks upon ground, which did shake vibratively even stone, hence his sword was lost once more; and, to the end of discovering the whereabouts of his companion Morolen, did he willingly fall through the very fires before him without a single word. "Fall thee, for I shall strike down both thy legs!" cried Lögorithm, but not even the loudest of them could bring back the stronghold of Blüch-Holgerin, save the Great Boil of Shrîph-Dűrmaláth, whose eyes were torn with bleach.
Do you see? Do not worry If you don't understand it, your not suposed to.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-30-2004 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Rats
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I've read parts of that book, or browsed it through, but on that base I'd say that the style of the book is very distinguishing from cover to cover.

Some of the "jokes" are funny and it's amusing to read how the author crystalizes the original plot and characters. But there are, to my taste, too many "jokes" I consider to represent bad humour. At times it's very lame when there are given some "sexual spice" to the characters and chapters. It looks like the author was forcing the reader to laugh. I don't like the twisting of the characters' names either. It just looks too overdone.

I think the Soddit is worth flipping through anyway. A few years ago I couldn't stand any parodies mocking LotR but one has to learn not to take them so seriously. Nowadays I can get good laughs about some of those parodies.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 08-31-2004 at 01:26 PM.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I wouldn't say parody and satire are the same thing, although sometimes they can be combined. "The Soddit", "Bored of the Rings", "Barry Trotter", these are all straight parodies as they're based on a pre-existing work. Another example might be where French & Saunders take off famous films. A true satire is a comment on something in history or society, such as Kurt Vonnegut's novels or "Gulliver's Travels". Comedy shows such as The Day Today combine both - parodies of characters and TV formats with satirical comment.

Now, I find parody quite funny, but I also find it gets tiresome after a while, and I start to wonder why the writer or comedian could not come up with their own original material. For that reason I've been really wary of the Tolkien parodies, I suspect they would be kind of...unsatisfying, although I wouldn't say an absolute no to reading them.

When certain comedians take off LOTR it can be funny. I found the Avid Merrion sketches quite funny - although obviously not written by someone with real knowledge of the books or films. And I like the Orange cinema advert with Sean Astin. All in all, I think the best parodies are the briefest ones.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I suppose Lalwende has said it all. Generally I find parody boring & unconvincing, but most of all its cheap. I distinguish it from satire, I suppose, which I usually understand to be more subtle.

Its Tolkien parodies that don't interest me specifically, as they are almost never well done. Of course, there are always exceptions!

At Oxonmoot two years ago we were presented with The Reduced Silmarillion, which was hilarious, because it was written & performed by people who knew the book. Its difficult to give a true flavour of the thing, but all the parts were played by men (Luthien Tinuvial being played by a guy in a blonde wig was something to see), Ulmo was a three foot high inflatable penguin, & in the Last Battle Morgoth's dragons were paper aeroplanes. Farce, yes, but deeply moving in its own way (& to be repeated at Tolkien 2005.) Though, to be honest, what I especially liked about that was that it depended on the audience having a real knowledge of the book.

I suppose my position is that I'm not against parodies as such, they're just not my thing.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I did like Bored of the Rings - with the proviso that not being American or quite old enough... some of the jokes missed their mark ...whereas the French and Saunders and Dead Ringers skits made me howl with laughter as did the online secret diaries ..... I bough the Barry Trotter but couldn't get past the first few pages so I didn't go for the soddit.... However I must admit that I have indulged in parody writing in my time

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Ladies and gentlemen, we apologise for the following awful joke.

Was going to read the Prelude to Board of the Rings, but thought "Ah Soddit!"

Right now that's out of the way.

There are two types of Parodies, a direct parody, and an indirect parody. The Latter is a humorous take on a particular genre, where as a direct parody is what it says, directly parodying a single thing, Book/ TV program/ Film ect.
I think it’s fairly obvious which one this is...

Apparently the Sellamillion (Sell a million, w00t! Just noticed that!) Will not be as a direct parody as the others were. Although there will be a parody of Beren and Luthien. The rest will be made up gibberish I expect.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #15
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hookbill-- Aw, it wasn't that bad...

I'd like to read the three parodies but I'm just not sure if I can get them at Barnes and Noble!

Anyway, it's true that most parodies are done pretty poorly. But I have read a few that have made me laugh hysterically, my favorites being a monosyllabic version of FotR and the "Gat Gandizzle" parody over at stupidring.com which makes everyone act all "gangsta." I can see, though, why some people are against such parodies, as they are pretty much belittlement of the original work.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #16
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Drole-country

Wow, many interesting 'takes' on how we should/can respond to a book which makes fun of one of our favourite books. Thank you everyone for responding.

dancing spawn of ungoliant, my response might have been premature, but I don't think it is off topic. It follows from considering what kind of book The Soddit is, and how we feel about books which ridicule those we hold dear. I think it is central to the kind of book it is to ask how we feel about that kind of book, and I think several Downers here have suggested interesting ways to think about parody.

Quote:
Webster's states that both parody and satire are the same. A "spoof" of the original. Maybe you can tell me what's the difference Bęthberry because I'm afraid of misinterpreting your post.
Saurren, that is what I was suggesting, that "in theory", that is, in definitions and in literary theory, there is not much distinction made between parody and satire--or rather, the lines are inconsistent. However, I thought that among general readers we often make a distinction, that parody is 'gentler' and 'satire' is harsher. There is, after, quite a vast range of comic works which "imitate" some original. There are travesties, burlesques, mock-heroic, Menippean satires, just plain old satires, farces, and plagairisms. I particularly am intrigued by davem's point about parody being "cheap" and wonder if that inherent quality helps readers place or determine how valuable such a book as The Soddit is.
What I also wondered about was how the reader's attitude towards the original (Tolkien's The Hobbit) might influence their thoughts about The Soddit. Is The Soddit funny if people don't know The Hobbit? Or is it outrageous if people dearly love The Hobbit? Do we come away thinking more highly of The Hobbit after reading A.R.R.R. Roberts' book? Hookbill the Gomba discussed some of these points, whereas Lalwendë raised a point I had not thought about at all, the length of the parody. I know that when I was writing Saladriel and Celery for the first Revenge of the Entish Bow, I thought our salad jokes had a dressing which wilted them fairly fast, but Orlando L'Oréal Bloom had stronger hair spray.

Quote:
Farce, yes, but deeply moving in its own way (& to be repeated at Tolkien 2005.) Though, to be honest, what I especially liked about that was that it depended on the audience having a real knowledge of the book.
davem has I think made another important point here. This must have worked much the same way that the stage play, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged, works for me. Knowing the originals and seeing how silly and ridiculous the abridgements are is the whole point of the fun.

I hope I haven't intruded on what you wished to say about The Soddit, Sleepy Ranger. Does The Soddit make us appreciate The Hobbit all the more or do we leave with a distasteful mouthful of ridicule which cannot stand up to the original. Most Downers here are seeming to imply the latter I think.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #17
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dűm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Quote:
I know two types of people who like parodies; the first are people who are acquainted with the original work the parody is based on and would not mind viewing the work in an askewed perspective for a good laugh or to view the original work in another angle as additional food for thought. These people like the original work but are generally casual and easy-going over it. Not "too-into-it" and "taking-it-easy" are the orders of the day here.

The second group of people are more disturbing because they did not like the orginal work and hope that the parody likens the work to their point of view (courage in numbers maybe?) and reinforce their prejudice. Such people are rare but they do exist.
Ah, but there is a third kind. The group who love and respect Tolkien (or any original work, really) to the degree that nothing anyone says or parodies can possibly matter to thier idea of the original.

Perhaps I am merely projecting here; creating a group of one (which is technically not a group at all). But personally, I found The Soddit and Bored of the Rings to be very funny, especially to one who knows the original and can get the allusionary jokes and gags, which may not be funny entirely on thier own.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #18
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
As usual Bethberry you pose a question to which I do not have an answer, and yet feel compelled to give one.

I do not like parodies or spoofs, and darned if I know why. I think that the answer would have something to do with the fact that they seem to be 'easier' than creating something new or entirely one's own. It's so easy to be negative and pretend that one is cool or smart by doing so. So much harder to respond to something with a positive affirmation of what is good about it, coupled with reasoned, constructive criticism of its shortcomings.

Mind you, I am not saying that people who write or enjoy reading spoofs are wrong or uncreative and negative, I'm just trying to explain why I feel the way I do. It just seems to me that parody is all about how smart and witty and wonderful the parodist can be, while trying to cloak it as an homage to somebody else's abilities.

I do love a self-parody. The few times I've seen William Shatner parody himself I've been doubled over with laughter and my opinion of the man has gone up. Tolkien was not adverse to self parody as well, from time to time, usually in his Letters. I think what I find attractive in self-parody is the capacity that it demonstrates for self-analysis and realisation. It shows that the artist is willing and able to step outside his own creation and apprehend it from a different point of view.

I should add that I've never read the book in question, nor Bored of the Rings -- perhaps if I did, my opinion would change.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #19
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420! Keepin' it real

Edit: This post was written without seeing Fordim's reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurreg

I’d fall into that category, methinks. Though I’ve never really felt the urge to read Bored of the Rings or others. Really, the only Tolkien parodies I’ve read were threads or links posted in Mirth, that “What if LotR had been written by someone else?” thread in Books, and Esty’s Entish Bow RPGs.

I think there’s a third definition missing here: the spoof. As I see it (in my own little world) the spoof is the gentlest form of mockery – instead of making any judgements or copying the general storyline, it includes element(s) in a wink wink nudge nudge fashion. For instance, “Shrek” parodied and satired many fairy tale archtypes, but I would say the scene where Fiona channels Trinity is more a spoof of the Matrix than a parody. It’s just one element that pops up unexpectedly, and it’s rather affectionate to its source material.

When I write in the REB RPGs, I see it as a spoof of LotR (among a rather lot of other things). I have a half-elf who blithely spouts the worst poetry in the galaxy, but that doesn’t mean I think Tolkien’s Elven poetry is bad. Quite the opposite. I just thought it was be a way to turn LotR on its head.

I’ve written spoofs, parodies, and satires of my own original work, incidentally. I’ve also written s/p/s’s of general story types. I see it as a way to just keep it real. That said, I have to be in the right mood to appreciate the merits of mockery, or I too can just shrug and wonder what’s so clever.

Lame parodies/satires are just sad, really.

Last edited by Diamond18; 08-30-2004 at 08:39 PM. Reason: criss cross
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:06 AM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I like parodies, satire, and spoofs! (For those who have noticed my Fiona avatar, or may even have read the notorious ‘Entish Bow’ RPG, for which I am the chiefly responsible culprit, that may be stating the obvious, but I do want to make sure my standpoint is clear!) I’m pretty sure I have an old paperback copy of ‘Bored of the Rings’ around somewhere, and while plundering English bookshops recently, I purchased ‘The Soddit’ (along with both ‘Barry Trotter’ books, parodies of You-Know-Who). I’ll give a brief opinion on ‘The Soddit’ in a later post, since writing this one has taken up the time I have for now, but let me add my comments to the general discussion on the worth and nature of parodies which Bęthberry started.

First of all, there are good parodies and there are bad ones. Should you have started off with one of the poor examples, it could make you think that parodies are a bad thing. But those that are well-written and well thought out are wonderful! I’ve found some examples of this category on the Flying Moose site, which hosts the Tolkien satire pages, in a very few of the best ‘secret diaries’, and in the finest moments of the ‘Entish Bow’.

I would see differences between the categories spoof, parody, and satire. ‘Spoof’ would seem to me to be the lightest-hearted of them and could be used generically. ‘Parody’, I think, refers more to a humorous version concentrated on a single work and contains the element of turning things around to show their funny, often ridiculous, side and using specific characters and places. ‘Satire’ is more general and can be sharper, more bitter and pointed in its humour; it can be based on real life situations such as politics.

Why parody? (I’m using the word in a general sense, so much of what I say can apply to both other categories as well.) Parody is play. It is playing with words, plot elements, and characters to give them a new twist. For that reason, people who are not into playing with language probably don’t appreciate it. That’s fine – there are other variations of language usage that I don’t appreciate, so fair enough!

‘Shrek’, to take an example dear to my heart and mentioned by Diamond above, plays with fairy tale concepts, turning them around. The dragon should not be killed – it could be your ally later (and it just might be a female!). Your true love is not necessarily the handsome prince. What you consider ugly could be real beauty.

Most parodies play with the characters’ names (and those of places), using close equivalents that are comical, either because they are words with a different meaning or perhaps brand names. The latter is one of the reasons that much parody is dated after a few years – or why the jokes don’t work in a different country. (‘Bored of the Rings’ is an example of the former – some of the references are no longer funny, since they are now unfamiliar.) As Mithalwen said:
Quote:
not being American or quite old enough
Good parody can only be written by one who loves the work being parodied, in my opinion. As Diamond wrote above:
Quote:
it’s rather affectionate to its source material
Why bother to play with something one doesn’t like? (Unless blatant commercialism is the reason for writing it… ) This is where I’m with Saraphim:
Quote:
Ah, but there is a third kind. The group who love and respect Tolkien (or any original work, really) to the degree that nothing anyone says or parodies can possibly matter to their idea of the original.

Perhaps I am merely projecting here; creating a group of one (which is technically not a group at all). But personally, I found The Soddit and Bored of the Rings to be very funny, especially to one who knows the original and can get the allusionary jokes and gags, which may not be funny entirely on their own.
Make that a group of at least two – and I know that there are more of that kind out there!

Playing with a work I love (either as a reader or writer) gives me a different angle on it, enables me to see it in a new, fresh way. And the element of familiarity which is so essential to understanding parody is given, since I know the work well enough to catch the references – or write them, if I’m doing it myself. Good parody must be based on a thorough knowledge of the original source! As davem says:
Quote:
it depended on the audience having a real knowledge of the book
That also answers Bęthberry’s question as far as I’m concerned – I don’t think a parody is enjoyable to a reader who is not familiar with the original work on which it is based.

Yes, in some ways writing a parody is easier than writing an original, Fordim, since one has the given story on which to base it, but consider it a form of sub-creation, then it is justified in a Tolkienized sense! And without some kind of originality, it’s a poor parody.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 AM   #21
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Of course there is always The Matewix for those who like those films. However, Charlie Hamilton James rather than A. R. R. R. R. Roberts writes it. But I found it next to a copy of Board of the Rings in my local Waterstone's, and its from the same publishers. But Bored of the Rings was written by Harvard Lampoon, so we have a huge tangle web of... ... ... ... strangeness.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:35 AM   #22
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraphim
Ah, but there is a third kind. The group who love and respect Tolkien (or any original work, really) to the degree that nothing anyone says or parodies can possibly matter to thier idea of the original.
I shall play the Devil's advocate here just for further discussion's sake. The following is by no means intended to insult or provoke anyone.

If one should feel very strongly for a piece of work or for the creator of that work, so much so that he holds it in idolatry, I would presume that emotions hold that person in high sway. It is hard to believe that such a passionate individual would not be susceptible to external provocations that challenges his favoring of the said piece of work or the above-mentioned creator. His "faith" is not unshakable.

It is not my intention to divulge into the human pysche since I am obviously no student in this field of study, but I should think that every reaction that stems from provocations of such nature, are emotional responses of varying spectrums of different people from either the first category who like parodies (the casual reader) or the first group who dislike parodies (the diehard loyalist). Most probably the second.

Take for example, yours truly translates this discussion thread into an experiment. I start a new thread insulting Tolkien to the lowest and post rude and irrelevant parodies/satires. Chances are the thread would be bombarded by hordes of second category people (the diehards or the chivalrists, whatever) eager for my blood, that is their emotional response - to take me down before my provocations propagate. But there will of course be those who read the contents of this horrible thread, shake their heads and remark to themselves,

"This chap has obviously fallen out from his tree, but my faith or point of view is still there so I will not be bothered,"

By weaving such a mindset/thought, those calm folks have already felt the effects of my provocation. The only thing that seperates them from the above-horde that wants my blood is the degree in which they percieve the threat posed by my provocation and their corresponding emotional response. And in this case, the latter choose to take solace in their "faith" which is only but a fail-safe mechanism to deal with the effects of my provocation.

P.S: Rest assured I will not attempt forum suicide by initiating such an experiment.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #23
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Quote:
Sleepy Ranger. Does The Soddit make us appreciate The Hobbit all the more or do we leave with a distasteful mouthful of ridicule which cannot stand up to the original. Most Downers here are seeming to imply the latter I think.
I dunno. I kind of liked the book. Especially the sub notes and the chapter names. From what it seemed to me it just used the Hobbit as a base and except for perhaps the start the rest was very different. As for me parodies and the actual thing are placed in different categories. I enjoy parodies but the real book always remains a masterpiece. And I only read parodies if I like the original work.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:30 AM   #24
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Few things are too sacred for parody, IMO, as long as the parody is a. funny and b. short.
I like the parodies on Dead Ringers and French and Saunders, because they were sketches that made their point, and then the writers went onto something else. But if the parody goes on for nearly as long as the original, then unless it is exceptionally well-written, the joke begins to wear rather thin.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM   #25
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've been thinking again about parodies/spoofs, and I've definitely come to the conclusion that it's hard to find a truly great parody. I think it depends upon the knowledge of the writer/director/comedian has of the source material. An example in point might be Kill Bill, which obviously parodied Kung Fu movies - it was obvious that Tarantino knew his genre inside out or he wouldn't have maintained the quality of the films for that length of time (and that's a moot point with some). Another good example, perhaps better, might be Spinal Tap.

But, when you think of the Austin Powers series of films, they began humourously, but then declined in quality as they became more elaborate and strayed from the original idea. There's a temptation to extend a profitable parody beyond its lifespan as a means of making more ŁŁŁs, unfortunately.

So, IMHO, to be a good parody, the understanding of source material must be excellent, and the writing must be tight and focussed. Of course, there's also only so far the joke can be taken.

Thinking about it, I find film parody much more entertaining, but maybe I've read some really poor literary parody! As for finding parody/spoofs offensive, I'd only think this if they were really badly written. Now, if someone who is into literary parody could recommend the absolute best, then I might like those!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
With the Dead Riners things it was almost another variant ..... some were not parodying LOTR but used the fact of the outline of the story bein familiar enouh (sorry the keyboard is refusin to type theletter between f&h in the alphabet!!!!)
to most listeners to use it as a basis for topical humour ... the route of the quest bein a tactic to avoid the London conestion charge .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:36 PM   #27
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Funny story, me and a friend were going to see Scary Movie 3, we looked at its descrption and it said it takes parodies from signs, 8 mile etc. well it said Lord of the Rings, my friend who is very impresionille(sp?) didn't want to see it if it makes fun of LotR, but it was just a misprint, it was suppose to be The Ring...
Old 08-31-2004, 03:36 PM   #28
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Ah, Spinal Tap. A truly brilliant parody which teaches us that drummers are expendable and huge plastic body-enveloping pods are not to be trusted.

To remain on topic, a parody should not be pushed too far, otherwise it just gets campy and distasteful. As Lalwende said, Austin Powers is a good example. They're all funny, but the laughs are cheap and the same jokes over and over get tiresome. I think that a really great parody is something -- if I may even use this word to refer to a parody! -- original. It should play off the original but not rely on it or follow it word-for-word. I have read some parodies which are crossovers with LotR and usually a comedy movie, and it's just not funny after a while because the author simply replaces the names/places in the original movie with those from LotR. The jokes aren't funny anymore and it only serves to drive one ballistic!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:42 PM   #29
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
To remain on topic
Thats ironic. The topic is what your thoughs are on The Soddit, yet people are now discussing parodies in general and what they think would make them better.

I opened this topic because I wanted to know what people thought of The Soddit not what they thought of parodies. I hate to stop your debate about parodies, I really do but it would be much better if you stayed on topic.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:47 PM   #30
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Beg pardon, Sleepy Ranger, I was just trying to stay somewhat on topic to LotR. Since I have not read the Soddit, I suppose I shall quietly withdraw.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #31
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril Keeping this thread on 'The Soddit'

Actually, Sleepy, sometimes threads take turns that make them more interesting than they started off. I've been debating moving this one to the Books forum, since the general discussion on parodies, as long as it stays Tolkien-related, is on a high level. But since you'd rather keep this thread exclusively on 'The Soddit', I will start a new thread in Books, copying the pertinent contributions to that one. Those who wish to continue discussing Tolkien and parody in general, please look for that new thread to open soon.

Here it is: Tolkien and Parody

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-01-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:07 AM   #32
Saurreg
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sleepy Ranger, I was the one that started the digression of the thread and for that I apologise. Rest assured I will not post here again.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril Review of 'The Soddit'

Here's my opinion on The Soddit:

Visual impression - The book looks great! The dust cover has a red, leather-like background print (quite appropriate for an excerpt from the "Red Book of Westmarch" ), with a very amusing drawing of the characters on front. The map at the beginning is one of my favorite parts - I enjoy reading the names of the places! For example, there's Rororo Hryorboat, and a group of trees marked 'Tiger Woods'. The black and white drawings by Douglas Carrel are great.

The writing is amusing, though not side-splitting. At 328 pages, the story is a bit long, since it can't hold up to the original. There are funny plays on words and names, and the plot twists are interesting - the group of dwarves diminishes considerably during the trip, which has a completely different purpose than in the original story, though the dwarves staunchly claim that the purpose of the journey is only "gold". Though I enjoyed the book, somehow it wasn't able to fascinate me. I can't put my finger on any one thing that bothered me, but as a whole it lacked that special something.

Is it worth buying? Probably, for completists like myself, who want as many Tolkien-related books as possible. It'll look nice on my bookshelf, and I may take it out to page through it occasionally. I'm not sure I want to read it again though.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 AM   #34
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

I have not yet read The Soddit but have a question for Sleepy Ranger or Estelyn about its title (or anyone else who has read it). I know that the English use a phrase similar to this noun, as an interjection, rather freqently, but across the pond the term is regarded as very rude.

Is this a rude parody of Tolkien similar to some of the very weak secret diaries? Does it mean to insult Tolkien's values? Or is the title just chosen because it is a funny play on the word [i]hobbit[/]?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:05 AM   #35
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

According to me it wasn't like the diaries. I didn't really find it insul,e o degree the people are easily offended would feel offended. But I felt that it wasn't insulting. There was nothing like the diaries or anything to be offneded about for that matter. Overall it was a pretty good read and really funny. The illustrations and chapter names were comical, the name changes weren't really note worthy but the sub-notes were absolutely hilarious according to me.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #36
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Bethberry - I don't think it's meant to be particularly rude, it's a word that my mother uses quite often and she hates swearing. In fact she told a young bloke off for swearing the other day and called him an "arrogant s**" when he dared to argue back. You might use the two words if say, you dropped your toast buttered side down, which in turn leads to the harmless phrase "S**'s Law", i.e. "Murphy's Law". It would have been a highly impolite word to use when Tolkien was alive, but these days, it's nothing much.

*s used so as not to offend if it's a bad word for some.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #37
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

I received The Soddit for Christmas and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am partial to parody and have no objections over things close to me being parodied. So, I had no reservations over it, regardless of The Hobbit being one of my all-time favourite books. But parody must be good parody if I am to enjoy it and previous threads on this posts appear to me to have identified the key components of good parody, as follows:
  • it should display a good knowledge on the part of the author of the source material; and
  • it should make a good story in itself.
The Soddit seems to me to succeed on both of these counts. Certainly, the author seems to me to be having a fond dig at Tolkien's work, rather than mercilessly lampooning it. As an example, I would cite the following passage, which I found most amusing:

Quote:
What else? That they are conservative, rural, bourgeouis, middle-class. That they speak with a slight Birmingham accent, oddly. And, also, despite their manifest disadvantages - their diminutive stature, their crippled elaphantistic feet, their small-mindedness, their disinclination to listen to strangers or change old ways, their addiction to tobacco and alcohol, their stagnant class-ridden 'respectability' - despite all this, they have developed the most modern semi-industrial culture in the whole world, with water-mills, steam-foundries, comfortable housing, pipes, pop-guns, spectacles, velvet clothes, charming little flintstone churches, books and fireworks, whilst the rest of Upper Middle Earth is languishing in the dark ages of swords, horses, and burying their dead under enormous mounds of earth. Funny that. But, you see, the ways of the world are strange and sometimes inexplicable.
It seems to me that it takes someone who has a certain familiarity with Tolkien's works and the man himself to come up with such a wonderful parody of Hobbit nature and the style adopted by Tolkien in the original. In addition, some of the footnotes are a delight. There is one in particular which comments on the (fictional) author's motives in writing the book, which rather tickled me.

And, on the second count, the story works in itself as a stand-alone story. As Esty has suggested, it does not faithfully follow the plotline of The Hobbit, but rather develops a plotline of its own. Indeed, I found myself becoming quite engrossed in the story and, in particular, the reason for the quest.

I would also disagree with Esty that the book is over-long. I found it very easy and quick to read and was through it in no time. Much longer, though, and it might have become a tad tedious.

All in all, I would say, a good light read if you are fond of parodies, and I would class this as a particularly good example - certainly moreso than Bored of the Rings which I also enjoyed, although less so. And, the title notwithstanding, it is decidedly less bawdy than Bored of the Rings.

Oh, and the socialist spiders are hilarious.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:27 AM   #38
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Oh, and the socialist spiders are hilarious.
Absolutely and so is th thing. It was too good for words. And Gandef's hearing spell and the gobblins.