The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree Spiders! They're Everywhere!

Well, we should all know by now that when you open up the Who's Online, we're not alone. Search programs called "spiders" are around the downs, archiving our site to their search engine. They've always been there, but we're never noticed. Until now. With the recent update in our vBulletin, we have been contacted by these spiders. We are aware of them, and as always, they have been aware of us. Now, the more accurate Who's Online detects the spiders, and considers them guest. There's two different ways of looking at it. Either A, Thanks to the spiders, we've noticed interesting threads that we never knew exsisted, or B, these spiders are ruining our count, and we'll never know our true numbers. What side do you take?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

The spiders have been here before .

What is this? Duplicate topic night?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Yes, I knew that thread existed. That thread asked about Inktomi Slurp Spiders. I am asking about peoples opinion of weather spiders in general are a gift or a curse.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd definitely go for Option A. Many's been the time that I've found an interesting or unnoticed thread that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. As for 'never knowing our true numbers' doesn't it say how many users and guests are on at the moment in the "Currently Active Users" link?

Quote:
Currently Active Users: 50 (6 members and 44 guests)
Since spiders are guests, we know both how many users (even hidden users I believe, but they don't show up on Who's Online- just in the count) and spiders are online at the moment, and to calculate how many guests are on that are not spiders simply subtract the number of spiders from the number of guests. So, in my opinion, spiders are wonderful creatures!