The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2002, 03:10 PM   #1
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Bay Area/Northern California Downer's meeting?

What say ye?

I would be willing to call ol' saulotus, and i know a couple of us live w/in a couple of hours of each other any taker's?
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #2
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
1420!

I live in Southern California about an hour away from LA.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:27 PM   #3
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

I live in Antelope, a small suburb right next to Sacramento. Perhaps I can come.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 07:03 AM   #4
lindil

Sting

Greetings, faye and Fith

Saremento is not far frm me [2hrs]and only an 1 1/2 or so from SF.

LA area.... well Faye you are of course welcome to travel up! but you may want to consider a seperate Southern California Chapter [ and now I see you already have!] after all it IS a big state.

I know I can not travel down to LA with any ease, due to work, $ and family.

But hey we have a start, I will try and make some calls.

maybe if folks w/ an interest can also post what days/nights def work and do not work.

Sat/Aft pm is def the best for me. I could probably devote just about any Sat: 5pm-midnite or so.

Most Fridays also but only later 8pm ish to the wee hours is also possible.

*We can bring our most elvish music [self-created or others]
*poetry
*fanfics we love [ or are working on]
*any passage we particularly want to share
*perhaps a group performance [we could record and put up here somehow] of something from the LotR etc.

all in all I think it could be a delightful time, and I need to get my "road goes ever on" back from Saulotus anyway!

And if we get big enough we can all chip in to fly the ChiefWight himself out!

any other ideas, Takers?

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I'm going to the Bay Area this weekend! Though that's probably too soon for any kind of convention, if anyone is able to meet me on Friday or Saturday, I'd be delighted. My sister's college hunting and I don't really have anything planned those two days......
Old 10-02-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
lindil

Sting

Brinniel,
I just sent you a PM w/ contact info.
I am not sure if my family is going to the city w/ me or not but if they stay home I will have a bit of free time.

lindil
Old 10-02-2002, 05:48 PM   #7
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I don't live in California, but I do have some friends that live in Fremont, CA that are regulars here in the Barrow-Downs, and one of them is constantly using my nick to go around in the forum [grr...] and is editing my poems and fan fics. Oh, and she creates poems also. Very nice writer. Sounds like an Elf if you've ever heard her sing any of the songs from Tolkien's books. Memorized the lot of them. What say ye, lindil? Wilt thou say yea or nay?
Old 10-02-2002, 05:55 PM   #8
lindil

Sting

yea [ of course], unless she tries to nick my nick.
But who could imitate my posts with my bad spelling, scholarly pretensions and general long-windedness...

She is more than welcome to edit my fan-fiction though!

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
Old 10-02-2002, 05:55 PM   #9
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

*Sigh*...

California... my true home. How I long to join you all. Yet I shall have no opportunity. One- I'm in terrible financial state, and two- There is no time I could squeeze it into. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I'd love to do it next year, though!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 PM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

There has been a change of plans. I am not going to the Bay Area, so unfortunately I cannot meet any of you Californians until either summer or Christmas 2003.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 10:27 AM   #11
lindil

Sting

Sorry Brinniel, I ended up getting car repairs in my spare time, so it all worked out.

An idea for the locals, does anyone know if there is a solid release date on the Expanded version DVD of FotR?

I have heard Nov. maybe we could plan a get together around that?

My house in Lake Co. is prob an option but I am 2 and 1/2 hrs north of SF.

So perhaps someone more central...
Old 10-06-2002, 12:40 PM   #12
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

You know what? She's already despairing over my bad use of grammer. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Perhaps around Thanksgiving Break for the schools would be best. The extended version should be out by then, and my friend is planning to get it (only so she can see more of Elrond *rolls eyes*) In any case, where will you be planning?

The-Fifth: lol! My friend lives in Fremont in a place called Antelope Hills! Are you sure you don't live in Fremont???
Old 10-06-2002, 12:52 PM   #13
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

*sigh*

Is there ANY way to get a convention more up North? Say...near Canada? Doesn't necissarily (sp?) have to be this one, I'd just like to meet some fellow Downers without having to drive a day. New York, Buffalo...anything close to the border. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway...my english spelling bombs...I know...
Old 10-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #14
lindil

Sting

Reyna posted: "Is there ANY way to get a convention more up North? Say...near Canada?"

Well reyna, when i saw the Seattle meeting, I just hit the 'new topic' button and thought locally.

As they used to say at Sears [when no customer could hear you], You are Empowered!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

you can also try organizing more local tolkien events outside of the Downs.These folks will not be Downers to start with...

Gilthalion did readings at [Border's?] I have thought of doing one for the Public Library [across the street]. Also you could engage in true guerilla organizing and put small little flyers/bookmarks in the copies of LotR/Silm/UT etc at your local bookstores. [email addy suggested, not your home phone] mentioning a local discussion or reading group or whatever you want.

The worst that could happen is they ask you to stop [ since you are not selling anything you are not really much of a threat.

best of luck and let me know if you try any of it.

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]

Old 10-06-2002, 04:13 PM   #15
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting

Oh yay! Iv been waiting for something like this to happen! *jumps for joy*

I live just a couple miles north of San Francisco, ever heard of Mill Vally? Well, thats close to where I live.

Yay! I hope this plan goes through!

Oh no, wait, did you already have the meeting with out little me? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Well, in that case, is there going to be another one anytime soon? Im only availible on the weekends, Saturday would be most preferred. Hmmm... or, as mentioned before, Thnksgiving Break or perhaps Windter Break would be a swell idea too.
In any case, keep me informed! Thanks!

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: Daisy Sandybanks ]
Old 10-06-2002, 04:23 PM   #16
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Damn it! I'm all alone down here in Southern Cali! Humph not a surprise. Poo!
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #17
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I live in the Bay Area. Fremont, California to be exact. But I dont think meeting people to discuss Tolkien would be my thing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe we could meet to go see The Two Towers together. But just being together and discussing things is not my specialty. Im a really boring person. I am tempted to meet you Lindil. But still my shyness takes presidence.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:06 PM   #18
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Seems we have a few people in sacremento and a few people in the San Fransisco area. Howabout a comprimise? Fairfield is about halfway between the two. Would anyone be interested in a "line party" like the ones that ToRN did?
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:01 AM   #19
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

I live in Chico, which is pretty central in N California. If we want to have a Two Towers viewing, there's a theater here that hires out fairly easily, and which I also have connections at, which makes it even easier.

Or, we could just go to a random theater in whatever town we're in while The Two Towers is showing... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 05:32 AM   #20
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

You know there is an IMax version of The Two Towers? That would be something to do. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 08:56 AM   #21
lindil

Sting

That would be great indeed elendur!

Well we seem to have 2 types of of folks posting here [well 3 counting those who ive impossibly far away]

bay area:
Daisy Sandy Banks @Mill Valley
Elendur @ Fremont
Dwarin Thunderhammer @ [near] Fairfield
lindil is there on Sat or Fri PM
unknown friend of the great warg - fremont

No.CA:
The Fifth @ Antelope near Sac
Susan Delgado @ Chico [waay N of the bay area] what 4rs ?
Lindil@ Lakeport [1hr north of Calistoga or 45 min E of Hopland/Ukiah

So a couple of q's

#1 - who is willing to go where?

can The Fith and Susan realistically make it to the bay area [ at least as close as fairfeild?]

I almost feel it is pointless to ask wether the bay area folks want to head to the Central Valley, but would you?

Do we want something more or less in the middle Faifeild, is about as geographically central as anything so far mentioned.

Also for the eastbayers ridesharing is a possibillity.

#2 a> do we want to plan it around the Extended FotR release in Nov. [ i.e. in a home or rent a place to see it , I DO NOT personally have a lot of $ to do this]

b> 2 do we want to plan it around the Towers release in Dec.

#3 Do we want [in addition or instead of the movie thing] have a more traditional sort of gathering:
* recite elvish poetry
* read favorite passages
* play our music [I have a bit of M-E inspired stuff] [I can try my linsanwe out on you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ]
* read our fanfic
*other things of like nature I have not thought of.

Personally I would like to do something of the latter at least in addition to a movie event, but time wise I suppose that is not feasible w/ some folks possibly driving for hours to watch a 3 hr+ movie. So I guess what is realistic is that we start w/ a movie thing and then maybe we can do a get together seasonally ? And do the arsty-fartsy stuff later such as spring and summer when there will not be a movie or ext vers release!]

So if we do the ext FotR in Nov [ which I favor] we could possibly commandeer one of those party rooms in a restaurant and someone bring the DVD player [could be me] some one bring the widescreen TV [ I hope]
and we should be in [ unless someone wants to also bring a sound system, then we would be really in!]

=or=

we wait till Dec for the 2 towers.

I vote for Nov, because a> it is sooner b> we don;t have to organize a round a theatre and their tickets [esp. if we tried opening night] Come to think of it I will try and get a M-E group going here in Lake Co. on opening night as there is only 1 theatre on this side of the county and at Midnight, every Tolkien -head around for miles will be there. So starting a group here should be as easy as a little flyer distribution.

So I am in for the Nov DVD in fairfeild as a first possibility.

what say ye all...

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
Old 10-07-2002, 02:59 PM   #22
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Well, I'm up for it! Though there is the matter of asking my mom to drive me up there. Does anyone live in Marin County? Maybe, if some how, I could carpool with some one? I don't know, I'll talk to my mom about it, and I'll post her response later.
Heh, I'm guessing that you don't have an exact date planned yet, oh well.
Thanks again lindil for setting all of this up so far! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 04:22 PM   #23
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes I live near Fairfield. I'm not going to reveal my exact location in fear that I will be laughed out of town. I personally would like to have a get together for TTT. Edwards theatre has stadium seating and thx/dolby sound. It's a good theatre. Line parties were a service ToRN provided for people took hook up with other Tolkien fans in the local area. Thenamir had one in his hometown.

There are a plethora of good restraunts around the theatre. I'm sure we could rent a party room afterwards. We could meet, watch TTT and go to lunch afterwards.

There's also the option of renting a conference room at the new Mariott across the street. I would be willing to look into things further.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Dwarin Thunderhammer ]
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:42 PM   #24
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

This all sounds so very fun! Of course, if I can convince my mum, I can come to where you live.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:29 PM   #25
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Let's try again. I live in Northern California, about an hour away from Sacramento, and I can probably catch a ride with Susan Delgado at whatever time and location is good for her. The Bay Area is not, to my mind, a prohibitive distance, and seems to be the most central, but then, of course, the decision isn't really mine.

As for activities, my vote would be for doing something other than watching the movie again; we've all seen it, I think, and anyway, why would we be sitting in a dark theater watching the screen when we could all be sitting around in a cafe somewhere staring awkwardly at each other? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Are you still interested?

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:45 PM   #26
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Having had my car volunteered, I suppose I should speak up [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As Belin says, the Bay Area is not prohibitively far (about two hours), though I'd prefer someplace like Fairfield for ease of navigation, rather than go all the way into San Francisco or Oakland.

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 02-02-2003, 12:41 AM   #27
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Pipe

Ah yes, well I'm up for it, like I said before. But transportation could be a bit of a problem for me. I live more near San Francisco than Sacramento, and Fairfeild is about 100 or so miles from where I live.
I wouldn't be terribly heartbroken if I wasn't able to go to this thing (if this even happens at all), though I would dearly love to meet a few of you in person. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Sandybanks ]
Old 02-02-2003, 01:02 AM   #28
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

::steps into the light::
I happen to be someone from California [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I live just on the boundary of SanFrancisco and Daly City-but my area code is still SF...
Nice to see some people appreciate the Bay Area! Thanks lindil!
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:11 AM   #29
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lindil
I'll chip in. One way or round trip?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:03 PM   #30
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

If we'd like to have chat about this, I have a room on IRC which I'd be willing to donate to the cause. Anyone interested?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #31
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Pipe

Yes, I think that'd be great, we could really clear up some things with a chat. When and where, Susan?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #32
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

#Lake, and how does Wednesday, 5 Feb at 6 pm (PST, obviously [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) sound?
Old 02-03-2003, 01:26 AM   #33
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Pipe

I'll be there! That's perfect anyways, since I won't get home untill about 4pm and I won't have much homework for the next day either.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:38 AM   #34
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Great! Who else is coming? *looks around*
Old 02-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #35
lindil

Sting

Seems like a fine time for a chat for me.

was Lake# supposed to indicate something re; the Chat?

I have only chatted [2 t's?]once so I am almost as ignorant as they come.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:06 PM   #36
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

It's the channel, Lindil. after the thing connects, you put #Lake in the box that asks for the channel
Old 02-06-2003, 11:22 AM   #37
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Well, the chat didn't go so well. There were only three of us and all we decided was that it should be in Fairfield. Where was everyone else?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:20 PM   #38
lindil

Sting

Sorry!

Family life completely distracted me.

Fairfeild is fine with me though.

Sat PM I hope?

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
Old 02-07-2003, 03:09 AM   #39
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

I work on Saturdays. Would a Sunday be better?
Old 02-07-2003, 09:17 AM   #40
lindil

Sting

The rare friday night [like tonight works] but nearly every satruday I come down from lake co. to SF/East Bay.

I finish my work around 6/7 pm and have a few hours free after that before I have to drive back north.

That is really the only feasible time for me [c.7-10pm sat] , not that others should not give it a go if another time is generally workable.