The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Gimli (John Rhys-Davies)**

Did you like the way Gimli was shown in the third movie, and how well did the actor do in playing him?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

This was Gimli's best film. No silly jokes, just good, Gimli-style one liners, but hardly any screentime. This was to be expected. I suspect that there will be little debate on Gimli's part in this movie.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Redeemed somewhat from TTT. I hated the way he became such a clown in that movie. Don't even get me started. But I really enjoyed him in this film, especially when they addressed the way the elf/dwarf friendship has progressed from the Council of Elrond to the point where he would consider dying alongside Legolas "dying alongside a friend". I think Rhys-Davies makes a great Gimli (TTT wasn't his fault at all).
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:31 PM   #4
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought he was portrayed slightly better than in TTT, and the one liners were excellent! <BR>Was it just me, or did he sometimes seem to have a stronger accent than in the other films? (Am probably imagining things)<BR>I was a little disappointed that they didn't show what happened to him after the war. It would've been a nice way to finish it, showing him and Legolas as true friends.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

This is not a knock of JRD or his performance in RoTK but did anyone else have a hard time understanding Gimli? <P>I understood him perfectly in FOTR but for the life of me, I've had to watch TTT and now RoTK multiply times to understand Gimli!<P><BR>Anyway, I enjoyed JRD as Gimli when I could understand what he was saying! <BR> <P>Again, I am <B>not</B> knocking John Rhys-Davies!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:18 AM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I loved the line about Aragorn's plan to march on the Black Gate. I can't remember it now... but I loved it.... (This is what happens when you go to work, do Christmas shopping and see a movie in one day....)
Old 12-18-2003, 06:01 AM   #7
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Was it just me, or did he sometimes seem to have a stronger accent than in the other films? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It wasn't just you, I noticed that too. Strange.<BR>For the rest, I liked Gimli better than in TTT, he was more portrayed as the ferocious(sp) warrior he really is.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
Gimli stonesheild
Pile O'Bones

Gimli stonesheild has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Any way you put it Gimli is the best of the fellowship smart, hated Captain Obivous and just the coolest acting i have seen for a longgg time
Old 12-18-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Again, a small part, but well acted. I really liked his "that only counts as one" line.<P>-Lily
Old 12-18-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I loved the line about Aragorn's plan to march on the Black Gate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes I admit that the writing team did do a good job of bringing some more modern humour than the book could have provided, while keeping all of the best jokes from the original trilogy. <P>John Rhys-Davies is a great guy and a fine actor, he really charmed everyone at the ROTK parade in Wellington. He had a great stock joke for autograph-signing as well: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Next time I'll choose a shorter name, like Sting or Madonna! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But you really had to hear it in his resonant Welsh accent to fully appreciate it. <P>I fully approve of Gimli being a bit of a prankster, and this change helps to make up for Legolas having lost all of the carefree, joyous personality he had in the books (along with every other elf cos god forbid they're not serious for three seconds PJ ). <B>However</B> why this had to come at the expense of his tough, grim dwarf persona I shall never know! What happened to: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai mênu! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And instead of: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Give me a row of Orc-necks and room to swing and all weariness shall fall from my limbs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>we get: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Give me news of our friend and I will ease your passing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ease his passing?! You're a dwarf!! Butcher him, chop off his head, feed it to the crows and then look for the next orc! Remember the Alamulzibar (or something like that)!!<P>Movie Gimli is a total pansy compared to book Gimli, who manages to be sensitive, caring and eloquent while still being one of the greatest dwarf heroes of the age. Unfortunately, he is not allowed even this little extra depth of character in Peter Jackson's verion.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:43 PM   #11
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I though he was pretty good, although not perfect. They tried to make him more funny, and less..... Gimli.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:17 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I thought that he was absolutely stunning. I particularly loved the scene at the Paths of the Dead where he mutters: "An Elf will go underground, but a Dwarf will not?!?!" and also the scene at the very end where he runs into the bedroom where the Hobbits and Gandalf are, with tears of joy in his eyes. It was the most beautiful reunion of the Fellowship that I could think of.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote