The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2002, 12:51 PM   #1
Elgiva

Sting Leaf by Niggle, etc...

Hi, I'm new here so there has probably been a topic like this already, but never mind, eh?
So.
Has anybody read Tolkien works such as Leaf by Niggle, Farmer Giles of Ham, etc? I think they are aimed at a slightly younger audience than LOTR, but they're sill great! Just wondering, because I haven't yet met anyone on my travels who has read them...
Old 07-07-2002, 12:52 PM   #2
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

Yes, I have read most of those stories. They are quite good.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:46 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I have not, but they are on my used book store list [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The Border's by me has a few, so as soon as I get more $$.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #4
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Actually, "Leaf by Niggle" is quite difficult to understand, so I don't think it would be aimed at a younger audience than LOTR. <font color="purple"> BTW, Welcome to the Downs!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 03:50 PM   #5
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am not sure if I have read Leaf by Niggle (Hm...don´t remember, shame on me!) I have read Farmer Giles from Ham though (I have it), and I thought it was good, and kinda cute. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read alot of those works, Farmer Giles, Roverandom, Mr Bliss, Adventures of Tom Bombadil and so on. Good stuff! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Oooo... how is The Adventure of Tom Bombadil? I am curious about that one, though I can't find it anywhere (I have a music book with a song inspired by it).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 08:15 PM   #8
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've read Farmer Giles, but I'm yet to get my hands on the rest :S
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:01 PM   #9
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved Farmer Giles of Ham and the Adventures of Tom Bombadil. Farmer Giles of Ham is hilarious. Leaf by Niggle is haunting-- it's about creating something so huge it can't be really finished in a lifetime. There are only a few authors I've encountered who had the nerve to kill their hero off half way through the story, and you slowly realize it-- Leaf by Niggle, as far as I can tell, ends in purgetory.

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: Nar ]

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: Nar ]
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 03:21 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

"Leaf by Niggle" is definitely not a children's story!! I just finished rereading Carpenter's biography of Tolkien, and JRRT wrote it to overcome a crucial time in his writing. It is quite autobiographical, to niggle meaning spending much time on (sometimes unimportant) details. Tolkien's own perfectionism and the hindrance it was in finishing his work deeply troubled him. I find the story very touching, quite personal. And Nar, it doesn't end in purgatory, it goes on after that into a paradise happiness.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 05:06 AM   #11
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil are two poems that are fun reading. The first is about how Tom meets Goldberry. The second is about how Tom has a little meeting with Farmer Maggot, so there' a tie-in to the Fellowship of the Ring there, and it's verrrry suggestive and mysterious... Great fun!

I've read everything but Mr. Bliss. I found Roverandom a little difficult to wade through, but interesting.

Nobody has mentioned my favorite of Tolkien's littler stories: Smith of Wooton Major. It was written in the 60s, and has the feel of an elegy. You get the sense that Tolkien is Smith, and he's aware that he's had a wonderful life tramping about in Faerie, and now it's time to pass on the star of entry to someone else - notably not his own son (Christopher?), but to the 'villain's' grandson - 'not an obvious choice'. The depictions of Faerie are economical and breathtaking. My personal favorite, and very hard to find these days.

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 07:46 AM   #12
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I have another favorite which hasn't been mentioned. In 1970, Tolkien published "Bilbo's Last Song," a poem with beautiful illustrations by Pauline Baynes. One page shows Bilbo's memories of his many adventures during his life; the facing page depicts the procession to Grey Havens, including the figures of Gandalf and Galadriel, and the meeting with Frodo and Sam, as well as the hobbits' goodbyes.

I put an extract from the poem in my signature, since I loved it so much.

It is a poem of both sadness and joy. It is clear, however, perhaps even clearer than in the LotR itself, that Bilbo is looking foward to experiences beyond those which were known to him in Middle-earth. Some have suggested that this was Tolkien's way of saying goodbye to life and welcoming the future that lay beyond the circles of this world. The author died just three years later in 1973.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-08-2002, 02:52 PM   #13
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks Estelyn, it's been a long while since I read that. I did think Niggle had moved on to a better place, but I thought it was a higher level of purgatory and he still had further to travel as the story ended. I thought that shift in the middle of the story was an amazingly gutsy plot twist. I'll have to read it again-- a very haunting story. I'll never forget Tolkien's image of that single leaf that represented the huge and beautiful tree.

I've read Smith of Wooton Major, Littlemanpoet, it's a strange, cool, silvery tale. Yes, I remember the passing of the 'gift' of faerie-- through a Christmas cake! We should all treat that fruitcake with more respect. (Ok, it wasn't exactly a fruitcake, it was frosted. But it might well have had fruit in it, traditional christmas cakes usually did. It could have been the fruitcake of faerie!) The image of the star on the forehead as a sign of the gift was lovely. I think I'll have to read that one again also. As I recall, most of Smith's adventures in the land of faerie weren't described. Tolkien concentrated on his entry into the land and the passing of the gift. It was very much about stages of life and initiations.

I believe I have read the poem of Bilbo's last journey, Sharon, somewhere on the web it must have been. More transitions-- studio to purgatory to heaven, ordinary life to faerie world to sage by the fireplace, Middle Earth to Sea to Tol Eressea and on. Even Tom has a transition in his 'Adventures' --finding Goldberry and giving up the bachelor life. Doesn't seem to dimn his spirits any, obviously enigmas are good at transitions.

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Nar ]
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 03:14 PM   #14
Elgiva

Sting

Wow, I've never met anyone else who's read those books!
I don't know why I said it's a childrens story, it clearly isn't! I think I had a caffeine overdose at the time, sorry...
Leaf by Niggle IS a really haunting story, and I also LOVE Smith of Wooton Major (by Tolkien) if anyone has read that too?
Old 07-08-2002, 03:49 PM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Hi,

I just finished Roverandom. It's about the little toy dog that Tolkien's four-year-old son Michael lost at the seashore. The toy gets enchanted by a wizard and has numerous adventures.

The story is for youngsters (it was after all written for Michael to make him feel better) BUT it also has enough humor to make it enjoyable for adults to read to kids, and there is some "eucatastrophe" (poignant, beautiful, profound, tear-jerking stuff) there as well.

I highly recommend it.

--Helen
Old 05-28-2003, 11:20 AM   #16
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I read Roverandom, Smith of Wootton Major, Farmer Giles of Ham and Mr. Bliss. (Just a note on the last one: A Gaffer Gamgee is mentioned! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
I have Tales from The Perilous Realm on my shelf, ready to be read. It contains Farmer Giles of Ham, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Leaf by Niggle and Smith of Wootton Major. And then I read whichever Tolkien-book I find in my library.
My favourite next to the Middle-Earth-related so far is Roverandom. I think the ending is so cute, with the original owner being Two's grandmother and the fate of Artaxerxes (that's his original name, right?) etc. That book is just brilliant! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote