The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2001, 01:49 AM   #1
Schvenn Of The Schack
Pile O'Bones

Schvenn Of The Schack has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Of Wizards....

Did anyone else get the feeling that Jackson tried to make the wizards appear to be of human origin?
I was under the impression that Gandalf was of the same order or closely related to the order of Sauron.
Do we even know how old Gandalf is?

In the movie Elrond claims to have been at the battle when Isildur cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand, which of course is a plot twist, but is Gandalf not also an immortal?
Wouldn't he be old enough to know that happened?
The fact that he searched archives for the knowledge kind of left me scratching my head.
I thought he was more of a contemporary to Elrond than a younger man, which is the impression the movie gave, or is that again, just an adaptation?
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 02:17 AM   #2
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Go here please. http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/u...c&f=1&t=000052
Old 12-30-2001, 02:22 AM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

When the Istari were sent to Middle Earth in the Third Age they were sent as old men and their powers were affected by the form they came in, they were not sent to contest Sauron but to aid the free people in fighting him. They were not here during the war of the Last Alliance, they came at or near they end of the 1st millenium of the third Age.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 02:36 PM   #4
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Did anyone else get the feeling that Jackson tried to make the wizards appear to be of human origin?
No.

Quote:
I was under the impression that Gandalf was of the same order or closely related to the order of Sauron.
Do we even know how old Gandalf is?
You are right. Gandalf is of the same order as Sauron. Gandalf, or Olórin, has been around since the creation of the world.

Quote:
In the movie Elrond claims to have been at the battle when Isildur cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand, which of course is a plot twist, but is Gandalf not also an immortal?
Ummmm... are we reading the same book? Elrond was at the battle where Isildur cut the Ring from Sauron's hand. That is no plot twist. And, yes, Gandalf is immortal.

Quote:
Wouldn't he be old enough to know that happened? The fact that he searched archives for the knowledge kind of left me scratching my head.
Gandalf did not arrive in Middle-earth until the Third Age. Before that, he was living the good life West of the Sea. He was not omniscient and so even though he was alive during the events described, he would not know what happened unless he was told or read accounts about them. The information he was seeking in the the archives in Minas Tirith was information that Elrond himself did not know. He wanted to see if he could learn if this Ring his friend Bilbo had found was indeed the One Ring.

Quote:
I thought he was more of a contemporary to Elrond than a younger man, which is the impression the movie gave, or is that again, just an adaptation?
Actually, Gandalf is much older than Elrond. Elrond and his twin, Elros, were born to Eärendil and Elwing near the end of the First Age.

-réd
Old 12-31-2001, 10:30 AM   #5
Schvenn Of The Schack
Pile O'Bones

Schvenn Of The Schack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't remember Elrond being there, but it has been a long time since I read and of Tolkien's works, so it doesn't suprise me.
Thanx for all the replies.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 09:05 PM   #6
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Tolkien

Yep, he was GilGalad's Herald.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:25 AM   #7
Grey Ship
Pile O'Bones

Grey Ship has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed, neither Sarumann or Gandalf knew ,when they arrived at middle earth, where the ring was, or what had happen to it. However, i thought the Valas knew quite well what happened in middle earth. The wizards where Maias, and should have some kind of job over there... beeing the servant of the valas. Its a strange tale that they wherent told what had become of the ring! Its just like whit that restriction thing (they wherent to match saurons power with power): they didnt get any easy job.
Grey Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:45 AM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Tolkien

Only Mandos knows all fates and he can only tell of what he knows if Manwe will it.