The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #481
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Happy Birthday Phantom and Alien!

Look at this:

Isn't that great?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #482
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

It be that time again, people!

And it is fitting that the Phantom and Alien have their 50th edition a week after their first anniversary!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #483
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.

We finally know the truth about their relationship!

I'm thrilled to be included in this week's comic. Alas, it is true, I'm not a real psychiatrist. Thankfully, we Downers have Kath, who will be fully qualified to weed out the nutty amongst us in a couple of years.

Run for your lives.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #484
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The truth behind their relationship? I was hoping the only 'truth' you'd get would be a sort of background to episode 1.

I almost forgot to mention, that is supposed to be Formy in the comic as well. I originally drew him as the Pope, but wasn't sure if he's appreciate it. Let's hope he doesnt feed me to a bin for this outrage.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #485
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post
Alas, it is true, I'm not a real psychiatrist. Thankfully, we Downers have Kath, who will be fully qualified to weed out the nutty amongst us in a couple of years.
So you're saying in a couple of years the Downs will be empty?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #486
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

I think The Downer is taking a worrying turn towards the Daily Mail with all this business about wheelie bins...though of course this does give Mr Editor the chance for some amusingly paranoid headlines...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #487
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
though of course this does give Mr Editor the chance for some amusingly paranoid headlines...
"Evil genius takes over world" not paranoid enough for you?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #488
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
"Evil genius takes over world" not paranoid enough for you?
He needs to be an evil genius claiming £5,000 a week in benefits to be really Daily Mail though. Or maybe "Evil genius takes over world. And drops his litter on the street!"
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #489
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Interesting to finally find out how it all started...
Though one thing got me confused...was it an uncle or an aunt...?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #490
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Interesting to finally find out how it all started...
Though one thing got me confused...was it an uncle or an aunt...?
It was aunt. Aunt Bob. I think it's said clearly...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 AM   #491
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, but the priest says that HE was a good MAN...
Which kind of makes me wonder what genders phantoms have...

And another thing...how does Alien know Phantom's name?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 AM   #492
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

White Tree

The Might, you're taking this all too seriously. Besides which, how do you know the phantom's name?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:40 AM   #493
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, that's because, unlike others, I are serious!

And about the name...think I made a good guess.

Btw, I really liked the title about the file of Galadriel
Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #494
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Btw, I really liked the title about the file of Galadriel
That one is a Headline written by the phantom himself, no less.
Sorry, I keep forgetting to credit him.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #495
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Moving on to more News

They say that the best lies have an element of truth. But The Downer wouldn't know anything about that...
Thanks to Diamond for the second story.

I think it's about time we had a Dragon in The Phantom and Alien, don't you?

Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #496
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Boots Bin Laden With Guns Captured on Downs!

By Michel Delving
A bin full of guns was captured by the dauntless heroes of the Barrow-Downs Police Force yesterday. While Eomer of the Rohirrim was filming an inane video for his Facebook page, he noticed a bin creeping in the bushes. He crept over to take a closer look and guess what he saw? It was a bin full of guns leaving a trail of blood behind it. As a trained police professional, he ran home crying for his mommy, who called the Police for reinforcements. The only person available was a drug Sting officer. He lured the terrifying Bin to a trap by singing a famous stalker anthem. The Sting officer hauled the bin to jail, where he awaits trial. "This is a great step forward in the war against terrifying bins, now that we know that bins really are the menace they've been claimed to be, now get out of my face you $@$#$ pests!" DCI Lalwende commented. The bin's family was not available for comment.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #497
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye hot off the press...

YOUNG TURIN SLAYS GARDEN SLUG

Hurin’s heir, Turin, is off to a magnificent start on his road to manhood according to friends and family. “The boy’s only three years old, and he already has a great killer instinct,” boasted Morwen, Turin’s mother. “The way he handled that slug- I really think it’s a sign of greater things to come.”

Woodcutter Sador agreed. “He didn’t show any fear at all. Most of the kids around here think big slugs are gross and don’t want to get anywhere near them, but Turin is never afraid to stand his ground and look an enemy in the eye.”

King Fingon, who happened to be in the neighborhood for a conference, said that Turin has all the makings of a great general. “Oh, yes, his father told me all about the slug incident. I can’t tell you how impressed I was by the planning that Turin put into the deed. It was sheer genius, what he did with that board.”

According to witnesses of the event, which took place last Saturday, Turin used a small carving knife to cut a trench across a board, and then set the board in the slug’s path. The slug crawled onto the board, and when it reached Turin’s cut, it attempted to stretch across to the other side, exposing its vulnerable belly. And that’s when Turin struck.

“Fantastic strategy!” gushed Hurin. “He got the slug to stretch out over the notch, then he slid his knife down into the notch and slashed up at the slug’s underside. The slug never had a chance.”

“It’s incredible that he already has an understanding of combat strategy,” observed Huor, Turin’s uncle. “Surprising a foe from an unexpected angle and using the landscape to exploit an enemy’s weakness are tactics that can be used throughout life against all sorts of opponents.”

But young Turin is not without critics. Melkor and members of his Angband staff have long held that the House of Hador is "totally weak", and say that Turin’s latest achievement changes nothing. Glaurung, Melkor’s head dragon, was particularly critical during a press conference yesterday. “Frankly, I’m amazed it worked. He was lucky the slug crawled onto the board in the first place, and even luckier that it didn’t just go around the trench. That’s certainly what I would’ve done.”

Melkor seconded Glaurung’s words, calling Turin’s strategy “ridiculous” and "infantile", and insisted that such an approach was useless on a larger scale. “Even if it is a good slug-killing maneuver, what does that matter? It’s not as if he could kill a dragon like that.”

When informed of Melkor's words, young Turin fired back, calling Melkor a "big meanie" and "poo-poo head". When asked about Glaurung, the three-year old boldly declared he would, upon reaching manhood, "stab him in the eyeball". Turin's family applauded the boy's words- all except his Aunt Aerin. "I don't like all this warlike talk," Aerin told reporters this morning. "He's only three! Yet he's already killing things, boasting, getting into verbal fights with dragons, and being called a warrior by his family. With a childhood like this, he can only expect to have a short, violent, and tragic life."

Whose words will prove true? We here at the Downer can't wait to find out.

Last edited by the phantom; 08-01-2007 at 11:21 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #498
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
tp, that was hilarious. And disturbing. Get more sleep.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #499
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

So does that mean I'm disturbingly hilarious, or hilariously disturbed?

But sleep? Sorry, that's out of the question. Now- lying in bed trying to sleep... that I can do. I've been practicing for a week.

Glad you enjoyed the article though. I've got another one coming soon. It's very disturbing. And, I hope, somewhat entertaining.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #500
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf-warrior View Post
By Michel Delving
A bin full of guns was captured by the dauntless heroes of the Barrow-Downs Police Force yesterday. While Eomer of the Rohirrim was filming an inane video for his Facebook page, he noticed a bin creeping in the bushes. He crept over to take a closer look and guess what he saw? It was a bin full of guns leaving a trail of blood behind it. As a trained police professional, he ran home crying for his mommy, who called the Police for reinforcements. The only person available was a drug Sting officer. He lured the terrifying Bin to a trap by singing a famous stalker anthem. The Sting officer hauled the bin to jail, where he awaits trial. "This is a great step forward in the war against terrifying bins, now that we know that bins really are the menace they've been claimed to be, now get out of my face you $@$#$ pests!" DCI Lalwende commented. The bin's family was not available for comment.
You got me freaked out for a mo there - "Bin Laden with Guns..." I thought a certain elusive terrorist mastermind had been behind the 'forbidden' episode the other day for a minute!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #501
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Going to the polls is not an option

YES, The Downer has the exclusive on the crisis in the Dragon's Realm!

I think I should point out that there is officially a completely white room in The Phantom's house where he has most of his conversations with Alien.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #502
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots

I for one, think that's a fantastic use of that much money.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #503
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I agree - for once, Alien's done something cool and helpful (in my view... who wouldn't want a walking house?)
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #504
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

You're all forgetting that £5,000 is no where near enough money to build a walking house with Lazar guns and a mini bar. He probably payed for the rest of it with phantom's life savings.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 AM   #505
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
where the shadows run

Quote:
I think I should point out that there is officially a completely white room in The Phantom's house where he has most of his conversations with Alien.

I'm a bit confused, as I often am these days. Is there anything intrinsically different between a white room and a white house? And does it have black curtains? And should I be thinking of Eric Clapton or Someone Else? It's a war edition after all.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #506
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

White Tree

The intrinsic difference would be that a white room is just one room where as a house is the whole house. I like to imagine that the white room has no windows, just one trap door in the ceiling and bright lights everywhere.

But once again, I think we're delving too deeply into silly details.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #507
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Whatever the white-room situation, I'm glad that Downsland uses the British pound - none of this new-fangled 'dollar' nonsense.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #508
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I did take some time to consider what currency to use. I even tried to invent a new one, but thought it would just complicate things. I think the currency I invented was called 'Globdules' or something. The Symbol was ♪
I think the exchange rate was along the lines of ♪1 = £40
You know what, I think I'll start using Globdules in more Downer articles

EDIT:

100 Groats (g)= ♪1

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-10-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #509
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post
Whatever the white-room situation, I'm glad that Downsland uses the British pound - none of this new-fangled 'dollar' nonsense.
If it was Dollars or Euros then Alien would never have been able to afford a walking house with laser guns - he'd have been lucky to afford a second hand Robin Reliant

I like how the Downer is to all intents and purposes a free newspaper! It would certainly be a major improvement on Metro; how about suggesting this to our bus companies, Mr Hookbill?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #510
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
The intrinsic difference would be that a white room is just one room where as a house is the whole house. I like to imagine that the white room has no windows, just one trap door in the ceiling and bright lights everywhere.
Well, it still sounds like something expandable, made with some kind of material like Alice's mushroom. Serious Cat are Cheshire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill View Post
100 Groats (g)= ♪1
I grok groats.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 AM   #511
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Pipe Raise your pipes!

Once again we delve into the weird and wondrous world of journalism and insanity.

This week, we meet the phantom's grandfather.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-15-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:50 AM   #512
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

"Next week we invade Iceland or maybe Norway."

My original plan to take over the world began in much the same way. What a coincidence. About time we Downers started to take over...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #513
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
I KNEW those penguins were up to something... No wonder Lommy denied it, she was in on the plot!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #514
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Mwahahaaaa!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #515
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye an interview with Manwe...

MANWE TO ADOPT ZEUS METHOD OF ARDA MANAGEMENT

After years of humble, chaste, timid, and generally boring world Kingship, Manwe has decided to remake his leadership style. “I realize now the flaws in my old style,” said Manwe during his exclusive interview with The Downer. “It was my fault that Melkor got out of hand. Melkor always looked powerful and impressive, and did things to wow the crowds. That's why he had so many followers. If I had only done the same sorts of things, he never would’ve had so many minions,” said Manwe with regret. “Also, he let his flaws show through. Me, on the other hand- I always acted so sickeningly perfect. And the fact is, people love a flawed hero. I should’ve thrown a few tantrums and maybe destroyed a mountain range or two. It would have got me points with many of the Ainur.”

Later in the interview, Manwe berated himself for never using his gift of creation. “I’ve been such a big zero! Varda made the stars, Yavanna made the two trees, Aule made the dwarves, but me… I’ve created nothing! Melkor and Sauron created and tinkered with Orcs, Trolls, Dragons, Vampires, and Werewolves, but I haven’t so much as baked a cake!”

According to Manwe, it was while contemplating his lack of creation that he thought of Zeus, the ruling god in Greek legends. “I realized that Zeus was exactly who I wanted to be,” said Manwe. “He was an active force in the world, always throwing his weight around, and creating. Or, more specifically, procreating.” Manwe went on to say that his change of management style would put a strong emphasis on procreation. “Zeus sired offspring that did all sorts of wonderful things. Some became gods and helped manage the world, and others became evil-destroying heroes! Just imagine how things could’ve been different here in Arda had there been a couple dozen half-Vala superheroes running around Beleriand in the first age.”

Manwe said there was no set timetable, but promised that he would be working on having Elf, Man, Dwarf, and Hobbit children very soon, and that these children would have a positive effect on the world in general. When asked if there were any other motivating factors contributing to his desire for offspring, Manwe, who had been staring hungrily at a passing Elf-maid, answered, “Erm, ahem, of course not. No, no, I’m only doing this for the purpose of helping the world.”

When asked to comment on Manwe’s new philosophy, Varda gave a sour look, and said, “Well, he certainly seems to be a fan of Zeus. Me- I've always liked Hera.” The Queen of the Stars then began cackling uncontrollably, and waved off further questions.

The other Valar refused to comment altogether, except Aule, who had this to say. "You go back and tell that nutcase that it can't be done! I can't 'forge' lightning bolts for him! Lightning isn't friggin' metal! And I'm not forging a giant trident for Ulmo. He doesn't want it! And my name is 'Aule'! Not 'Hephaestus'! Tell that old bat to quit calling me that!"
Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #516
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

If you don't keep up with the news, you'll not know who's in charge!

Look out now for the new police uniforms on the Downs...

Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #517
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

I bet that copper in Alien's cartoon still has his earplugs in and is in constant contact with police radio, so of course he's not awol when he does the stuff.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #518
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I bet that copper in Alien's cartoon
Alien's cartoon? I'm sure the phantom will take issue with you there.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #519
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quite right. "The Phantom and Alien", not "Alien and The Phantom".

If anyone besides myself could claim the cartoon, it would be Hook- not the green slimeball. He's taken enough from me already. Don't allow him to steal the cartoon.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #520
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Oh alright already. I suppose I should have said,

Quote:
I bet that in the cartoon with just Alien the copper has his earplugs in and is in constant contact with police radio, so of course he's not awol when he does the stuff.
Or

Quote:
I bet that in the most recent cartoon with only Alien, the copper has his earplugs in and is in constant contact with police radio, so of course he's not awol when he does the stuff.