Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2003, 12:13 PM   #201
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Heh. That's just what I was going to tell Eladain, Maika.

Anyway, going to post on the thread right now...
Old 08-30-2003, 12:31 PM   #202
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Well Eladain PMed me with a request: That I edit my post to say that Gilbereth falls in instead Ainemetion. So I did. This is what you ask of me and so I do it.

Alright! Are we okay then? Can I move on? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Maikafanawen
Old 08-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #203
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Eladain Moruviel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ah yes, thankyou Miaka, I'll post tonight. And don't worry about finding Gil, he'll find Y'all a in a little while, so just keep on your way.

[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 AM   #204
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Everdawn: Did you miss where I had asked if Nerindel wanted to post first and then you pick up after her? Oh well
Yes i did, and i am very angry with myself for not noticing now. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Ah well. Shall change!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 08-31-2003, 10:10 AM   #205
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Quote:
And don't worry about finding Gil, he'll find Y'all a in a little while, so just keep on your way.
Eladain: Gilbereth is part of a company and they are definitely not going to leave him behind in the river. It's plain common sense. Realistically, no one would just walk away, even though I'm sure Ainemetion wouldn't mind... Thanks! I don't know, what does everyone else think? Doesn't it seem appropriate that we at least look for a few days??

Carry on.

-Maikafanawen
Old 08-31-2003, 01:42 PM   #206
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Just say something like "We can't afford to lose any more time, and whos knows what else might be waiting out there. If he's alive he'll find a way to get back to us" or something to that extent.

It makes more sense, if you go out there looking for him, get attacked and lose more people, it wouldn't have been worth it now would it?

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 08-31-2003, 05:03 PM   #207
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

We are trying to be realistic here. Ihwesta has already used that arguement during the mist and it cost the company much. It doesn't make a lick of sense not to go after him now. I'm sure Ainemetion will argue your point, Eladain, but they will look for Gilbereth IT JUST MAKES SENSE. After a few RPG days (consisting of two or three real-life posts) we'll stop and you can do almost whatever you please with him.

Quote:
if you go out there looking for him, get attacked and lose more people, it wouldn't have been worth it now would it?
It doesn't really matter where we go in the forest we're likely to get attacked anyways.

So let's not argue this point any further. It's really not a big deal.

Thanks!

-Maikafanawen

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 08-31-2003, 05:34 PM   #208
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well, I can't stop y'all from looking for him, so go ahead
Old 09-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #209
Dūrlossiel
Haunting Spirit

Dūrlossiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is a notice from Tinuviel.

She has been grounded for a week and will not be able to get on until Monday evening the 8th of September. She asked me to say you can do whatever you need with her character (except kill him).

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:03 PM   #210
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Thank you Dūrlossiel.

Okay then. We'll just have to keep Reynion in our posts. Well, that is, we'll have to find him first. Anyhow, that's that.

It is most likely that I will not be able to get on the computer tomorrow to check up. I have babysitting, a dentist app. and fencing. It's insane.

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #211
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Okay we have found Reyn and abandoned Gilbereth! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

For the next person who posts: Could you please initiate the attack:

Quote:
WE ARE HERE NOW: On the other side awaits darker things that were not able to cross the river into the brighter parts of the realm. They are immediately attacked by orcs...

After a narrow defeat, they find sanctuary in a cave before torrential, black rains pound the forest. This floods the river and causes more problems for the elves that they circumvent only just...

They are now very close to Dol Guldur. It is now only a matter of days...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We will decide when the time comes what they find or do not find at Dol Guldur.

If you want to add some more obstacles for us to encounter post your idea here and either Maika or I will approve and add it to the Outline.
Thanks....
Old 09-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #212
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

I know. I'm a liar. I said I wasn't going to check up. Turns out I had five extra min.

Quote:
“Well we can not give up!” cried Animention from behind Ceros.
LoL. Ainemetion doesn't give a damn if Gilbereth dies. That was the character Kates left us with. Maybe you could change it to Arie? Ihwesta doesn't feel too hot for him either. No offense Eladain. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Awesome job guys!

Cheers,
Maikafanawen
Old 09-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #213
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

YAY! Gil's unpopular! That's just the way I wanted him. Welcome the break from him while you can, he'll be back...
Old 09-04-2003, 02:29 PM   #214
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Ai! the orcs are among us!!!

Can who ever posts our retreat/victory please have someone/Reynion calm down the enraged Taurėwen or drag her away if we have to retreat [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #215
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I can assure you, if it's a retreat, Gil will be there fighting with Taurėwen and they'll both have to be dragged away. Let us pray it won't end in retreat.

Btw, Gil will show up sometime during the battle with the orcs, he would't pass up the chance to kill orcs [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2003, 11:09 AM   #216
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Ooooh....ratters haunting the barrow-downs looking for you eh Tod? Do you want us to save you a place? Since you-know-who can't check my PMs just PM me and I'll save you a place for you to post for your character.

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #217
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Let's draw out the battle with the hill-troll a bit. In then end we'll have to kill him so let's have it be a big strenuating battle. You like?

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #218
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

ARG! Let's kill some orc!
*gasp* they have a hill troll
Old 09-07-2003, 11:23 AM   #219
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Eladain: Please check your PMs. Thanks!

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #220
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

okie dokie!

I've posted again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] sorry couldn't wait for the rest of you guys [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] just impatient I guess [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

anyway Taurėwen was dragged away by Reynion and now Ceros has ordered us to surround the foul beast!

Is this hill troll Olog-hai?

Quote:
A race of Trolls of southern Mirkwood and Northern Mordor, Bred by Sauron. Unlike other trolls, the Olog-hai were cunning, and could endure the sun when controlled by Sauron. The Olog-hai used the black speech; they knew no other language.
Taken from the complete guide of middle earth.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #221
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Nerindel: No. This hill-troll couldn't be an Olog-hai.

Quote:
From The RolePlaying Game CoreBook: Bred by Sauron through his foul arts, the Olog-hai are larger, stronger, swifter, and far more cunning than other Trolls. They do not turn to stone in the light of the sun, and as long as the Dark Lord's will holds sway over them they suffer no other ill effects from it. Filled with Sauron's malice, they dwell in Mordor, awaiting only his word to go to war.
So, as you can see, Olog-hai's only dwell in Mordor. As far as this resource says, Olog-hai probably wouldn't be in Dol Guldur either. However, I'm not sure how trust-worthy this resource is. Does Complete Guide of Middle Earth say anything about the Olog-hai's location in Middle Earth? (Did you notice that a larger, stronger mutant Troll's name is hypenated with an '-hai' just like Uruk '-hai' Yeah I definitely just figured that out. Cool, eh?

Quote:
More from the book on Trolls: Trolls have extremely tough skin and strong bodies but dull wits. Moreover, Trolls like sunlight even less than Orcs, for if it touches them, they permanently turn to stone.

Trolls are larger than Men and immsensely strong. They make fearsome opponents in battle. They most often wield huge clubs and hammers.

Many types of Trolls exist: snow-trolls, mountain-trolls, stone-trolls, cave-trolls, hill-trolls and others. THey typically live up in the mountains, in caves and caverns where they can hide by day from the light of the Sun. They do not build, though they may dwell within the ruined towers and castles of Men. They are particularly common in the Ettenmoors, the Troll-fells north of Rivendell. They eat flesh, including that of Men, Dwarves, and Hobbits.

Some trolls have more than one head. These monstrous beings, known as ettens, have extra perception due to their mulitple sets of eyes (but are probably not any smarter even with two Troll brains). However, at times the heads argue with each other, preventing the troll from taking other actions.
Ettens sound awesome, yes?

But anyways.... this Troll is a hill-troll from the Gladden Fields (and probably even previously from the Misty Mountains). I think it is the smallest type of troll reaching no more than fifteen feet tall--which is still huge, mind you. It's going to take a LOT to take him down.

Nerindel: Do you think surrounding it we'll have a better chance b/c we'll be attacking him from all sides & confusing him (since he'll be chosing b/w four groups of people) or do you think we should stay together and be strength in numbers? I'm not asking you to edit your post (because that does sort of seem like the better plan), but just consider it a teensy bit.

How are we going to defeat him anyways? His hide is too thick for us to pierce with any sword or arrow that will be fatal to him. Any ideas? Maybe we could push him into the river somehow...

-Maikafanawen

[ September 09, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 09-09-2003, 05:06 PM   #222
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Hey Maika, Thanks for all that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Here is the passage in Appendix F of ROTK regarding The Olog-hai:

Quote:
But at the end of the Third Age a troll-race not before seen appeared in southern Mirkwood and in the mountain borders of Mordor. Olog-hai they were called in the Black speech. That Sauron bred them none doubted, though from what stock was not known. Some held that they were not Trolls but giant orcs; but the Olog-hai were in fashion of body and mind quite unlike even the largest of Orc-kind, whom they far surpassed in size and power. Trolls they were, but filled with the evil will of their master: a fell race, strong, agile, fierce and cunning, but harder than stone. Unlike the older race of the twilight they could endure the sun, so long as the will of Sauron held sway over them. They spoke little, and the only tongue that they knew was the Black Speech of Barad-dūr.
But anyhow as we have established that it is but a mere ordinary hill-troll [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I'm sure the eight of us can take it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, I thought surrounding the stupid creature would confuse it, Standing together, I thought made us an easier target for it to squish!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
Maybe we could push him into the river somehow...
hehe you read my mind [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

or make the stupid creature fall in!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 07:30 PM   #223
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

So they are in Mirkwood later on....very scary thing to come across I'd imagine.

Oh and I meant to mention this earlier. I was thinking about all the stuff we had to do still and I think I want to reach Dol Guldur by Friday, September 12th OR Sunday the 14th. I've got to get together with Arien and make out the rest of the Outline but I'm definitely leaning towards the end of this week. We might skip the flood and just play out the rest of the Troll Fight.

I don't know, what does everyone else think? What would you like to see happen at Dol Guldur?

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-09-2003, 08:19 PM   #224
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hey, it's a troll, why don't we just shove a wand up its nose? It worked in Harry Potter. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, if the fellowship could kill a cave troll, we can kill a small hill troll. If all else fails, we can lead him into a grove with sunlight in it.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:04 PM   #225
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Arien: Please check you're PMs.

Eladain: Well if you've got a wand you're welcome to try but god, good luck! Actually...that idea about leading it into a clearing's pretty good. We could blind him (with arrows or rocks or whatever) and then lead him close enough or pull him with rope or something.

It's too late for me to post now but I will tomorrow night.

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-10-2003, 08:47 PM   #226
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well, even if we can't get it into a clearing, we can all hide in one and snipe it with our bows. That way it either gets turned to stone if it tries to attack us, or shot to death if it won't risk the daylight.

[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 09-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #227
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Ceros has been injured; I don't know how badly yet but it looks like he is out cold for the moment.

Maika: I have checked my PM's, although I havn't received any from you.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:53 PM   #228
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Arien: I'm very sure I sent it, but I guess I'll try it again. Sorry!

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #229
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

So y'all are using my idea then? Smart People, we may make it out alive yet [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #230
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Eladain: You hush or I'll sprain your other ankle!!

Arien: Okay, I think I know why it didn't send the first time but now it's resent.

The outline for the rest of the game will be up by Monday AT THE LATEST!!

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-12-2003, 08:14 PM   #231
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Maikafanawen: Hey, now's the only time you'll ever be able to beat me at fencing. Enjoy it while you can, I get off the cruches on sunday (hopefully)

Btw, Gil won't be with us for much longer
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] (w00t!)

[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Eladain Moruviel ]
Old 09-13-2003, 05:34 AM   #232
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Btw, Gil won't be with us for much longer
WHAT!!!
ah well... question...

Where is Kates temp frodo?

Jeez its getting hard to type with two dislocated fingers. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 09-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #233
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Everdawn: Kates left us a while ago. Sad, but true.

Gilbereth: Um, actually, I don't think you've ever beat me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sad, but true.

Arien: Check your PMs please. It looks like we're going to have to alter our entire OUTLINE. Sad, but true. (And you might want to revive Ceros fairly soon).

and EVERYONE: We will not be taking time to experience the flooding of the river. We're moving right on to Dol Guldur and getting there by Sunday or Monday at the latest. Sad, but true.

Cheers!
-Maikafanawen
Old 09-13-2003, 08:44 PM   #234
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

maikafanawen Well, if you're only talking about the time I've fenced you blindfolded, lefthanded, and with a sprained ankle, then no, I haven't ever beaten you. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
But anyway, we're moving to Dol Guldur that quickly? I'll have to post soon then!
Old 09-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #235
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I'm sorry if my save is holding up the game; my computer access has been nil for the past couple of days, and I haven't had time to finish the post I started for it. So sorry!

Also, I wasn't sure if we're going to beat the thing or if it would be a flight for our lives type of thing.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:17 AM   #236
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Ok, everyone the Troll is nothing more than a big old ugly lump of rock and we are all reunited.

Taurėwen has healed Ceros and is weaker than she appears, but believes it's not safe to stay and they should move on [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 02:19 PM   #237
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Alright, Arien and I have come up with the Outline for the remainder of the RPG. So take a look and you may begin posting accordingly.

Quote:
OUTLINE FOR ARRIVAL IN DOL GULDUR TO END OF RPG

--Defeat hill-troll (nix flood) and get to Dol Guldur by 5 pm Sept 15, B-D time.
--They more or less decide as they look at the tower from where they hide in the woods that they have done what they've come to do and that was discover what has settled in Greenwood. They rest and resolve to go back and tell Thranduil what they've found.
--One person may argue that while they're here they try to find out what happened to the elves who are missing. (This should be someone who has lost a friend/family member).
--They could decide to stay, or they could decide to leave. Either way they're going to be captured by a half-orc and taken to Amon Lanc where they're forced into slavery.

--They will be split up. Females taken to help build things and the males drafted to be in Sauron's army. They will be kept in the same area of the work village however and see each other during the day (which is still very dark because of the fog the Necromancer has produced to allow the orcs protection from the sun) when the orcs cannot work so hot.
--Sauron will not be there. He will be out checking up on other things and therefore will not be included in our RPG. The Elves will be hearing the orcs and so on talking about the “Necromancer”.
--The elves will have to battle with insanity and the various Command spells that will take over their will. Some may even choose to give into the power.
--We will discover the elves. Most will have been taken over by evil and beyond help.
--After experiencing for a spell the arduous tasks demanded of them by Sauron's minions, the elves (including those taken previously that are still sane) will plan and carry out their escape. We will be able to rescue a couple (maybe two or three) of the originally taken elves. These can be either adopted as secondary characters by the Players or taken up by either Owners.
--The elves (the survivors of original company and rescued few) will make it out and head back to the realm.
--The journey back to the realm will be summed up in one or two posts.

--End Monolog where Players tie up loose ends concerning character relationships and other such things.
The game is set to close October the 13th I believe so we have a little less than a month to complete the game. I think this is plenty of time to make out a good 2nd half.

I will be posting shortly this evening to get us in view of the Tower.

Great job everyone!

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-16-2003, 05:09 PM   #238
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

Pipe

Actually, the end date is October 3rd. So that only gives us 17 more days. Chip chop everyone! We must make haste! Let's see. We'll spend two weeks at the camp, and then finish the game in 3 days. Sound good?

Post questions concerns.

Cheers!

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #239
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
the elves (including those taken previously that are still sane) will plan and carry out their escape. We will be able to rescue a couple (maybe two or three) of the originally taken elves.
Just an idea but, maybe we should start a slave rebellion. That would give us a chance to escape, not to mention they're just all round generally fun! Running about, killing taskmasters, burning stuff. Fun fun fun!
Old 09-18-2003, 09:37 PM   #240
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Heyla!

Um, Maika, Nerindel, and I were discussing something via PM. I don't know how many of you actually remember Reyn getting hurt, but he did. He was bitten by a spider, and the venom has poisoned the wound. It's pretty bad, and Taurewen is going to have to amputate his leg because, well, because that's what I want to do. (I'm so mean to my characters...)

I think we decided that it's going to happen before the elves get captured, but only just.

I'm going to put up a save, to be filled in as soon as I'm certain of exactly what we're supposed to fill in there.