The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #41
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* clap clap clap*

go Tealdude!
Old 02-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #42
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ummm, am I the only one who thought those things were amusing?

The kid's site was just a kid's site. It's easy to rail against something popular: it's a way of proclaiming your individuality. His sister is probably one of the people who likes things because they are popular, so he's just reacting to that.

The O'Reilly thing was a joke, I think. Kind of like Dave Barry's article. I mean, how many of us hadn't thought that it would have been easier to send Eagles?

As for the "nerdy candle-shop inhabiting" bit, that's a cheap stereotype, but who cares? We know better. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

TealDude, you rock.

-Lily
Old 02-20-2003, 09:29 PM   #43
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If he doesn't like fantasy, then I hope he doesn't have any superman/spiderman etc comic books and such hiding under the bed [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Oh, and Disney movies too. Basically fantasy is anything that couldn't happen in real life, right? There goes the Matrix, X-men, ET, and many other fantasy and sci fi films. *shakes head* some people. From the way he/she has written the site I doubt if they've ever even given the film a chance. And from what you've said about the "how many books will there be?" I'm not even going to imply they've picked them up.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:39 AM   #44
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Waste on the Barrow Downs

If you're all so worried about the endless clutter of cyberspace, why so many anti-anti LOTR posts, taking up precious resources on the greatest Tolkien site ever spawned? Not that I'm not grateful for the entertaining links, it's just that there seem to be an inordinate number of posts on this topic.

It might be that I am retarded and unable to operate my browser, but I could only see one page on that 'site'. I can't believe you're getting so strung out about it! How do you possibly life your lives out in the real world, which is full of millions of people who don't care for LOTR? Stop the madness.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:32 AM   #45
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Fantasy is an acquired taste, like beer. If you don't like beer, don't go to the beer tasting and you'll be happy.
Possibly the best quote in the world. What I don't understand is why people who dislike the movies or books have to become so bitter and go to such a low level. Branding people who watch the movies "geeks" because they didn't enjoy the movie doesn't make sense, it doesn't say why they didn't enjoy the movie.

Just look at how many tickets were sold for the films and how many books have been sold over the years? Absloute millions upon millions of people worldwide. An argument based on labelling these folks "geeks" is as hollow as the head of that stupid kid who made the original website.

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 06:58 AM   #46
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He's updated since I last went on there...but he's still babbling on about his bleeding sister. I don't mind if its anti-LoTR, but only if it is actually GOOD. Not a paragraph of ****.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #47
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Checked out he web-site but couldn't take the quiz...couldn't bring myself to say I didn't like LoTR.

I agree with the The Squatter of Amon Rûdh, way too many abusive remarks by Tolkien fans.
I really hope that folks would stop stoking the fire.

"You draw more flies with sugar than vinegar, you know" [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 09:01 PM   #48
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, have you all noticed the new anti-Tolkien threads cropping up in the Books Forum

(i.e. Was Tolkien a Frog & N Tolkien)?

Do you supposes it's our boy?
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 04:50 AM   #49
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was amused by the first site, exassperated with oreillynet.com, but I was truly saddened and upset by the article on 'Why I Hate Lord of the Rings.' The author was very stereo-typed and biased, and he had a very closed mind towards people who liked something different than he did. He said that fans of LotR must automatically be losers who spent there life playing Dungeons and Dragons and never once caring about the real issues in the world. I personally find that untrue about myself and everyone else I've ever met who is as enthralled by Tolkien's incredible works as I am. Generally, I find them a concious. caring, empathetic, and informed group. Sow hat if we want to escape from the real world once in a while? That doesn't mean we're freaks! And not anyone I know has ever played Dungeons and Dragons!

*Sadbh finds herself sprawled on the floor from where someone hads yanked her off her soap-box*

I think people who start hate websites have way too much free time. Especially adults who start hate sites.

I'm off! See ya!

-Sadbh
Old 04-10-2003, 08:18 AM   #50
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, finally we can get some answers.

The #1 Anti-Lord Of The Rings Site has had another makeover, and, even though its still Anti-LOTR, it was defenatly a change for the best. Now the webmaster has a clearer reason for not liking LOTR. And if you look at the line right above the film-thingy, it says,"The books are ok, but the movies ____." So that kind of shows that he appreciates the books. Plus, he finally got rid of that acursed MIDI music!

But even better, he added his e-mail address. Will we finally find out what his modivations are? Will we finally find out what age he is? Will we find out if he is in fact Jack Osbourne? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #51
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think it's stupid that this person would hate lotr sooo much that he would make a website about it. that's sad, everyone has their own opinion but c'mon that's just... silly [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 04:21 PM   #52
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Umm...yeah. A waste of cyberspace is exactly what best describes this website. They should take it off of the net... along with the official public AIM LotR chatroom. The only reason I could possibly go into that place is to 'advertise' the Barrow Downs... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #53
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

As a comparison between the Downs and that website clearly illustrates, greater things are founded on love than hate. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 04-11-2003, 02:23 PM   #54
BobTheGrey

Shield

Hey all you guys keep saying that this guy has obiously only seen the movies and he should read the books. I was wondering: what do YOU have against the movies?
Old 04-11-2003, 03:15 PM   #55
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Well,
a. Not all of us have something against the movies [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
b. Isn't that question slightly off-topic?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:42 PM   #56
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
I was wondering: what do YOU have against the movies?
Quote:
Not all of us have something against the movies
Too true. But go to some of the threads on the movies forum, Grey Bob, and you'll see a wide range of opinon. Welcome to the Downs, by the way. Have fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden, I can't keep up with your ever-changing avatars. The latest one's pretty manic. It exhausts me just looking at it! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #57
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I think our boy's a girl... the email address is katie something... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm suddenly embarrassed to be female

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #58
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I just looked at the mini quiz results, and I was quite amused. Click here to see.
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #59
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
GaladrieloftheOlden, I can't keep up with your ever-changing avatars. The latest one's pretty manic. It exhausts me just looking at it!
Lol, thank you Saucepan Man. I just can't help using every single interesting picture I see as a new avatar... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
And yes, the results on the mini-quiz are very funny.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #60
Heathie4479
Pile O'Bones

Heathie4479 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Heathie4479
Sting

50 Reasons Lord of the Rings Sucks
This is the funniest site I have ever seen!! It is a list of 50 reasons this guy thinks LOTR sucks. It is all wrong information too. My and my friend were cracking up as we were reading it!
Heathie4479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #61
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

What is wrong with people. Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to hate it. It was nice that everyone was defending LOTR. Maybe they were tying to look cool because they were rebeling. Whatever.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #62
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Quote:
What is wrong with people. Just because something is popular doesn't mean you have to hate it. It was nice that everyone was defending LOTR. Maybe they were tying to look cool because they were rebeling. Whatever.
I second that!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I agree it is a complete waste of space. But we all need to bear in mind that everyone likes there own things and have their own interests. Just because I like Tolkien it doesn’t mean that my friends have to like Tolkien (even though it is nice to have a friend with the same interests [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). So I suppose that person was just voicing his/her opinion. But I don’t think he/she had to make it so harsh buy saying it was stupid. Well that is just my opinion! Agree don’t agree that is your choice [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. But still I agree it is a waste of web space and I suppose certain opinions can be kept to him/her self [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!

Quote:
First of all, this poor soul has fallen into the trap of expage.com which allows no webdesigning freedom
Ha ha totally agree [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]...

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #63
Finwen
Animated Skeleton

Finwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just to clear something up...

Hilde Bracegirdle said:

Quote:
Hey, have you all noticed the new anti-Tolkien threads cropping up in the Books Forum
(i.e. Was Tolkien a Frog & N Tolkien)?

Do you supposes it's our boy?
Rest assured, that was not the person who made the anti-LotR website.

I know the two people who posted those topics; one of them likes LotR and the other doesn't care a jot and therefore would not be up to making websites against it.

Please don't ask me why they did it, or how I know them... they are friends of mine who thought it would be a good joke.

(They were ignored for many ages afterwards, but anyway [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Finwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:35 PM   #64
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
50 Reasons Lord of the Rings Sucks
This is the funniest site I have ever seen!! It is a list of 50 reasons this guy thinks LOTR sucks. It is all wrong information too. My and my friend were cracking up as we were reading it!
It is hilarious, but it must be a joke. Read it, though, if just for lines like these:
Quote:
13: Did someone say plot hole?

Liv Tyler's character is seen easily defeating nine strong supernatural beings, even though she is clearly a woman.
Reminds me of a thread in the books forums...
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #65
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

Quote:
But we all need to bear in mind that everyone likes there own things and have their own interests.
Yes, but I would certainly regard it as a pointless waste of my time designing a website for things that I have no interest in or that I dislike.

Hehe, if I felt the need to put up a website on everything that I dislike, I would have no time to eat or sleep, let alone post here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 07:29 PM   #66
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Galenlasdur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galenlasdur
Sting

*yawns*Sad,sad little people.Ignorant people. Did you guys go on to read the Two Towers thing on the '50 Reasons I Hate LOTR'? DON'T! It is so...*frowns*sad. I don't think they've even seen the movie..it's all about this $hite(please excuse my language) about how Gandalf is played by Shaq and how Gollum was actually a monkey!Herm...*cough*yeah.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:34 AM   #67
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

"50 Reasons Lord of the Rings Sucks", now that was really funny. Either this person is joking or they are really ignorant. They seem to think that Lord Of the Rings was a movie first and that they only have sequels to cash in on the money. Also that :

Quote:
The wise old wizard character was stolen from Harry Potter.
and

Quote:
As bad as the Lucasfilm leaks were last year, the filmmakers of The Two Towers already have the novelization out in paperback. I've seen it at Barnes & Noble already. As if we needed any less of a reason to go see it.
Ah hilarious!

the guy who be short I saw those posts and hoped it was not someone from here, I thought people here could actually form proper sentences. I was obviously grossly mistaken.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:40 AM   #68
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Calm down people, '50 reasons LotR sucks' is definitely satire. This man knows his stuff, he's even got a joke in there about balrog wings.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #69
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it seems i was in a hot rage. i can spell, but had to use abbreviations due to the small amount you were allowed to type. after a few days of cooling of i signed it again with a new name:

Thu Apr 17 09:31:37 2003
enlightenedbyiluvatar

peraps u shood read t,t contains morals which shood b lurnt.tis not mere fantasy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thu Apr 17 09:27:56 2003
enlightenedbyiluvatar

he also showed us the shame of anger. i am no longer angry with u

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thu Apr 17 09:25:27 2003
enlightened by iluvatar

i retract my earlier statements. jrrt showed us the joy of pity. i pity u now

you may note that i used abbreviations again [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] in refering to pity, i speak of course of gandalfs famous lecture to frodo after frodo says gollum should have been killed. i also refer to this (about morgoth)
Quote:
for heart that is pitiless knows not the power that pity hath, of which stern anger may be formed, and a lightning kindled before which mountains fall
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:36 AM   #70
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

wierd. just to wierd for me. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:51 AM   #71
Annúnlótëiel
Animated Skeleton

Annúnlótëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I oppose anti sites in general becuase if you something why waste your time making a site o it? Anyways this site is very poorly done I think this person was either really shallow or just really bored...

sigo mi corazón
Annúnlótëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:20 AM   #72
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That was so terrible it was actually funny [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #73
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh dear...this is terribly funny!
Quote:
Would someone really be a hobbit? I don't think so!
What about the hobbits themselves? I'm sure they are hobbits... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Anyways, poor kid doesn't know what he/she's missing!
Peace
Old 05-15-2003, 08:34 AM   #74
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

That was the saddest website I have ever seen. I'm going to email him/her, but I want to be sure that he/she understands it. Could someone translate this into chatspeak for me?

Quote:
Hello.
Your website was recommended to me by a friend. He/she thought I would get a laugh out of it. I did. I thought that you might be interested in the opinions of others. Access this website, <http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001765&p=> Do reply to this email, I am most curious as to your reaction.
Luthien Tinuviel, Lady of Doriath
[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote