The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2003, 08:54 AM   #161
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Pipe

I'm useless for this one, never having read ths silmarillion myself (I know, I know...), but not to let this thread peter out, *second bump*

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 03:07 AM   #162
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I got it:
Quote:
'For that woe is past, and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory.
Galadriel to Melian.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #163
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

Correct !
Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #164
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
The silence for that muggle sit in our toes.
These things are dam- hard to make!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:27 AM   #165
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Ah, that's a wonderful quote! Gimli is speaking of Saruman:
Quote:
The words of this wizard stand on their heads. In the language of Orthanc help means ruin, and saving means slaying, that is plain.
"Muggle" was a great clue, Evisse! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 AM   #166
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Your turn, my lady! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #167
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

~They wandered here many times, but loudly they left where they couldn't. Here your head is not; and that was your free-will to stand at war.~
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-22-2004, 06:02 AM   #168
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

"I dwelt there once, and still I return when I may. there my heart is, but it is not my fate to sit in peace"
Strider to the hobbits in "Flight to the Ford'.

(the *here your head is not* bit gave it away [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:05 AM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 01-22-2004, 07:03 AM   #169
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well-done, Evisse! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #170
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Quote:
Surely Orcs couldn't crawl underneath the plains, we must throw away the Moon, to let them perish', asked the Black Rider. 'And you might lack nothing to lay idle under. You can put out rain.
The quote contains a name that I had also given an 'opposite' to.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:55 AM   #171
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sting

That's another great quote, Evisse! "throw away the moon" was the clue that gave it away to me. Gandalf speaking, of course:
Quote:
'If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save us,' answered Gandalf. 'But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn snow.'
Old 01-30-2004, 07:13 AM   #172
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Thanks, Estelyn! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I had a little trouble with the antonym for 'snow', I'm sure there's a better one than 'rain'. Anyways, the thread's yours!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:11 AM   #173
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
‘None of this ends without Clearasil, unlike you send her away,’ sang Industrialist Polyester; ‘or this ends unlike late unlike they’d come on, Miss _____.’
Have fun! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 09:03 PM   #174
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"It all began with Pimple, as we call him,' said Farmer Cotton; 'and it began as soon as you'd gone off, Mr. Frodo."
Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 AM   #175
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's exactly right, luthien-elvenprincess - welcome to the Barrow-Downs and to this thread! I hope you have as much fun turning a new quote around for us as I did with that one!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #176
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Thank you Estelyn. Well, here we go with my first try...
Old 02-07-2004, 04:10 AM   #177
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That quote sounds so familiar, but my searching has been unsuccessful so far! I'm assuming that the name is 'Gimli' backwards and am looking for something that refers to water that has receded and the Eye sleeping in the South. Am I on the right track? I looked at the places with water - Orthanc and outside of the Gate to Moria, but didn't find anything there...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 PM   #178
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Yes, Estelyn, Gimli is the one speaking.
You are on the right track about water receding.
However, the "Unseeing" in my quote is not the "Eye". Anyway, I assumed you were thinking of the eye of Sauron. It is not him.
Check the account of Moria again...especially the conversations within the walls of Moria. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #179
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Thanks for the clue, luthien! That helped me to find it.
Quote:
'We cannot get out,' muttered Gimli. 'It was well for us that the pool had sunk a little, and that the Watcher was sleeping down at the southern end.'
Old 02-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #180
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

you are exactly right, Estelyn. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:32 PM   #181
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

'After clay is lost and rock is raised, where old is valley above sun; after necklace is destroyed, and undone is joy, we sat in the lakes shortly in the future.'
Old 02-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #182
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

"Ere iron was found or tree was hewn,
When young was mountain under moon;
Ere ring was made or wrought was woe
It walked the forests long ago."

This is it, no? The rhythm is roughly the same. I liked the 'undone is joy' bit.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:57 AM   #183
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's it, Evisse! Yes, I tried to keep as much of the rhythm as possible without making it too obvious that it was a poem... Now you can struggle to create a new one!
Old 02-12-2004, 05:36 AM   #184
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Good luck with this one

"Now at leisure she caught forward her multicoloured mask but kept close her shoe but crawled from donkeyfront. She was clad in nightcap and cotton. Her raven baldness walked incarcerated out of the still air, her black nightgown dimmed bleakly out of the moon."
Old 02-12-2004, 05:49 AM   #185
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Then suddenly he threw back his grey cloak, and cast aside his hat, and leaped to horseback. He wore no helm nor mail. His snowy hair flew free in the wind, his white robes shone dazzling in the sun
"donkeyfront" lol

Last edited by Mariska Greenleaf; 02-12-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Mariska Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:06 AM   #186
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

That's right!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #187
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Ok, try this:

Quote:
"Wake up. But let's be scared." cried Saruman,"Because I'm, unlike Sam, flying away from the Shire, and not to Bree, but here we will be in great danger, not as we can't be nowhere in the past."
That wasn't easy at all!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:23 AM   #188
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Oh, that's one I recognize and know where to find! Well done, Mariska!
Quote:
'Sleep again, and do not be afraid!' said Gandalf. 'For you are not going like Frodo to Mordor, but to Minas Tirith, and there you will be as safe as you can be anywhere in these days.'
Old 02-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #189
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Good job!
Old 02-14-2004, 03:38 AM   #190
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
We come from their mother. But not out of my weak loneliness you will someday be proud. They raised the white eagle. Some cheerful evenings, but some sad nights, or some grey sunrises!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:22 AM   #191
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Quote:
I go to my fathers. And even in their mighty company I shall not be ashamed. I felled the black serpent. A grim morn and a glad day and a golden sunset!
Theoden dying on the Pellenor Fields.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:06 AM   #192
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right, Evisse - I look forward to a new one from you!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #193
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

"She has shrunken, and nothing. She cannot be only nastier but less comforting, gloomier and less goofy as afterwards, you sense. She has stayed the same, and I have had a misfortune to be blind to what scarce, from now on."

Solve it if you dare!
Old 02-14-2004, 03:53 PM   #194
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That was a tough one, Evisse! I thought it could be the "You have grown, Halfling" speech by Saruman at first, but when I looked more closely, the differences were too great. I finally found it in TTT - Merry is speaking to Pippin of Gandalf:
Quote:
He has grown, or something. He can be both kinder and more alarming, merrier and more solemn than before, I think. He has changed; but we have not had a chance to see how much, yet.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #195
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

A tough one, and it took you about an hour to find it Things sure happen fast here at the downs! Good work, Estelyn and sharpen your pencil for the next one!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:55 AM   #196
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
Definitely. From wolves the same wolves possibly vanish similarly, wept _____. And from robbers. And immortals are their hobby. They have nothing else for pleasure.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #197
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Maybe. To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different,' laughed Lindir. `Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study. We have other business.
who is seen from the quote. whom is Bilbo. Conversation concerning which parts of the poem belonged to him and which to Dunadan

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:02 AM   #198
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

All correct, HI, and nice to see you here! Go ahead with a new one.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #199
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
thanks

here we go:

Quote:
Though it is a bit bad evening with some glasses of wine indoors, out of a humbug. As I happen not to have her glass, I'm free of her and a bit of stand up woud do me good, than. What with the night left behind, haste is what they have to make.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:24 PM   #200
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
I think I've found it! I'm not sure of it, but might it be:

Quote:
And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! There's no hurry, we have all the day before us!
Bilbo to Gandalf in the first chapter of The Hobbit.
Arestevana is offline   Reply With Quote