The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2002, 12:54 PM   #41
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Does a football tackle on Dimaldaeon and tosses her over the fence. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What the hell are you talking about, I'm a <B>guy</B> you feckless git, and i would really like to see you try and toss me over the fence.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:19 AM   #42
Silivren-Niphredil

Silmaril

Oooh! I couldn't agree more about "Let's hunt some orc." I watched that bit, and I was really disappointed. It was really uncharacteristic of Aragorn...but anyway, it's been mentioned enough in this forum and I've got some more lines I love...<BR>The best line: Well, I couldn't decide out of "Flee you fools!"--"You shall be: The Fellowship of the Ring"--or "I would have followed you into the very heart of Mordor" of course, there were other really good lines. Sorry if they're not exact... Cool forum!
Old 09-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #43
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm glad u like the forum Silivren-Niphredil! Here's my opinion on Gandalf.<P>Best: You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. THe Dark Fire will no avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!!<P>Worst: .......I can't think of a worst! Oh well. If I think of one I'll post again.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:12 PM   #44
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Mithuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithuial
Sting

Gandalf's best line: "I am a member of the secret flame. Wielder of the flame of Arnor! Dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow!"<P>Worst line: to Bilbo, "I suppose you thought that was terribly clever."
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.
Mithuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:14 PM   #45
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Sting

sorry! "...servant of the secret flame." I knew "member" sounded wrong, like he was in one of those cd clubs, or something. I hope I didn't defile that line or something.
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:55 PM   #46
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Two VERY VERY bad lines:<P>"If you want him, come and claim him."-Arwen<P>"Give us the halfling, she-elf."-Nazgul.<P>Best line:<P>"You shall not pass."-Gandalf<P>"Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks."-Gandalf<P>I can't get the picture of the nine nazgul charging at Arwen when she suddenly discovers that you need a ring of power to control the waters....<p>[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 09-14-2002, 05:55 PM   #47
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Worst line: to Bilbo, "I suppose you thought that was terribly clever."<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Why did you think that was bad?
Old 09-14-2002, 06:08 PM   #48
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I missed Legolas. But my Gandalf is..<P>Best: "I'm not trying to rob you! I'm trying to help you."<P>Worst: I cant think of one. Oh well. I got best in there.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:21 PM   #49
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know it's been talked to death, but the line 'lets hunt some orc'<P>I think I figured out why it's so bad and why it just doesnt seem to fit...<P>In the book, there was a great struggle in Aragorn's mind which way he should take, follow Frodo and Sam, or attempt to rescue Merry and Pippin. Both seemed equally hopeless in their outcome. From the breaking of the fellowship until they get to Fangorn Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are basically on a (from their view) hopeless errand. They never really have hope, but they go on without hope. That's why I love the line "I will follow the orcs" because it's not an arrogant or encouraging line.. It's the answer to a very long descision, and a hopeless future.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:17 AM   #50
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Sting

All Gandalf's lines are good. But my least favorite is, "I suppose you think that was terribly clever." Maybe because it made him sound a little arrogant. I dunno. It's not that it's a bad line. I just don't like the way he says it, I guess.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:38 PM   #51
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the line that I dont care for from Gandalf is "is it secret? is it safe?". Not for the words themselves, but for the (in my opinion) total lack of being in character. All panicy and scared.. that is *not* how Gandalf is supposed to act. Even when he was sure of which ring it was he didnt freak out like that. I didnt like the OOC-ness of it, the words themselves are fine.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:41 AM   #52
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Gandalf has many top-quality lines, so I'll try and choose one.<P>Best line: "So do all who live to see such times. What you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."<P>Either that or "NO!" (on Caradhras)<P>Worst line: "Go back to the shadow!" I'm not sure why but I don't really like that line. It's hardly bad though but I had to choose one.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:50 PM   #53
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf<P>Best Line: I don't know the whole thing, but when he's talking to Frodo in Moria:<BR>A pity? Most men who live deserve death. Most men that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?<BR>*something like that - sorry if i totally screwed it up...*<P>Worst: YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!
Old 09-23-2002, 07:47 AM   #54
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

cookie_crazy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Are you kidding or what! The best line was way when he says:...Lead them on Aragorn, the bridge is nearer...do as I say! Swords are no more use here.<BR>The worst: A palantir is a dangerous tool Saruman, they are not all accounted for, we do not know who else may be watching.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:24 AM   #55
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite Gandalf quotes: <BR>1)"Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or evil, before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."<P>2)"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, in which case you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought."<P>Also, I know I'm a bit late, but my favorite Aragorn quote is:<BR>"Indeed? I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."<p>[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 09-23-2002, 11:20 AM   #56
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What is the "wrong" password line Gandalf says when he first tries to open the door to Moria. That sounds pretty bad (but, of course, It's supposed to! ).
Old 09-24-2002, 01:18 PM   #57
Lady_Espel
Animated Skeleton

Lady_Espel has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Ok, i know we're doin Gandalf, but I'm puttin loads of posts on tonight for some strange reason. I just wanted to say, in the movie, Legolas if kinda like the ears and eyes (or maybe the guy that says the obvious things) isn't he- Orcs, Goblins, blah blah from Dunblah. Hum, i wonder why?
Old 09-24-2002, 01:23 PM   #58
Lady_Espel
Animated Skeleton

Lady_Espel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf's best line was when someone said he'd remembered the way, "No, the air just smells fresher down here." (Ok, he probably didn't, but sumin of the sort, im sorry, im very tired.) His worst line, um, well, i can't say anything because i couldn't write anything better.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:07 PM   #59
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Alright it's about time I posted the results!Best line 4 Gandalf there's tie between the Bridge of Khazad-Dum lines (You cannot pass...) and the lines with Frodo (All we have to decide is...). 4 worst some people said he didn't have on and then there are some lines that only got one vote. These are the ones that only got 1 vote.<P>You shall not pass!<BR>I suppose you think that was terribly clever.<BR>Is it secret? Is it safe?<BR>Go back to the shadow.<BR>A Palantir is a dangerous tool Saruman...They are not all accounted for, the lost Seeing Stones, we do not know who else may be watching.<P>Okay. How about<B>Arwen</B>for the next character? Here's my opinion on her.<P>Best: I would rather share on life time with you than face all the ages of this world alone. I choose a mortal life.<P>Worst: If you want him come and claim him.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Old 09-24-2002, 04:54 PM   #60
Elven Mistress
Wight

Sting

I completely agree with Firondoiel for the best/worse Arwen quotes...
Old 09-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #61
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"What's this? A Ranger, caught off his guard?"<BR>Grr, shut up you stupid *****!<P>I can't think of a good one for her.<P>Re: Legolas. He didn't really have many good lines, he scornfully spat out the names of a few species of creatures and did a lot of 'smell the fart' acting but that was about it.<BR>However, he can be forgiven for his prettiness and kick-arse fighting scenes. I hope he gets some better dialogue in the coming two films.
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:35 PM   #62
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

For Arwen:<P>Worst: I agree with Firondoiel<P>Best : (in elvish) The shadow does not hold sway yet. Not over me. Not over you. <P>Or somthing like that.<p>[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 09-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #63
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also have to agree with Firondoiel for the best and worst Arwen quotes.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:22 PM   #64
Elven Mistress
Wight

Sting

All together i don't think Arwen had that many good quotes...well, i'm also a little against Liv Tyler - i think she's just plain annoying.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:34 PM   #65
Fallen King of Angmar
Haunting Spirit

Fallen King of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I disagree about Arwen.<P>The elvish (in my opinion) is great from her and her major line with Nazghul:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If you want him, come and claim him! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>while not very "Tolkienesque" is decent and works well.
"Come not between the Nazghul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
Fallen King of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:35 PM   #66
Fallen King of Angmar
Haunting Spirit

Fallen King of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

errrr.... make that partially disagree.
"Come not between the Nazghul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
Fallen King of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:03 PM   #67
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Ewwwwwwwww. Her worst line was let what grace that has been given to me pass on to him. <P>Her best...hmmmmmm...nothing
Old 09-28-2002, 09:41 AM   #68
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

dang i missed gandalf but i'll say it anyway best is when he yells really powerfully and comandingly "YOU CANNOT PASS!!!" yeah woo that was great and worst was "it's saruman"<P><BR>"Arwen" had no good lines in my opinion
Old 09-28-2002, 11:29 AM   #69
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Arwen's best line: "If you want him, come and claim him!" Hey, I liked that line and I'm not ashamed of it!<P>Worst: "What's this? A ranger caught off his guard?" Not even a she-elf could catch Aragorn off his guard, so there.<P>Can we do Pippin next? Pleeease?
Old 09-29-2002, 02:25 PM   #70
Gloruviel

The Eye

i agree with Elven M. about arwen<p>[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: Gloruviel ]
Old 09-29-2002, 06:26 PM   #71
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

i also, agree w/ Firondoiel about Arwen. maybe b/c i'm to lazy to scan the script. i could c if it was a hobbit or sumthin.
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 05:46 PM   #72
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Okay, I"m here with the results for Arwen.<P>Best:I would rather share on life time with you than face all the ages of this world alone. I choose a mortal life.<P>Worst: If you want him, come and claim him.<P>Sure we can do <B>Pippin</B> next. Here's my two cents on him.<P>Best: The whole 2nd breakfast thing was pretty good.<P>Worst: That's nice, ashes on my tomatoes.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:06 PM   #73
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hm...for Pippin:<P>Best: Anyway, you need people of intellegence on this sort of mission....quest.....thing!<P>(right from the book...well, almost)<P>Worst: I can't think of one.<P>I wonder which charicter we should do next. *coughcoughsamcoughcough* <BR> <p>[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 10-04-2002, 08:04 PM   #74
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Thanks, Firondoiel .<P>Best:<P>1. "Is he going to die?" (For the delivery, 'cause it was such a scary scene and we were all thinking that...well, sort of...not really...but hey...)<P>2. "Well yes, we've had one breakfact, but what about second breakfast?"<P>Worst: "Great! Where are we going?"<p>[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 10-05-2002, 10:47 AM   #75
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aww man, there are way too many good lines for Pippin, I can't decide which ones are the best!!<P>Best: "Mushrooms!!"<P>Worst: He doesn't have one.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:26 PM   #76
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

I know alot of these have been mentioned but here are the worst and best i think anyway..<P>Worst: 'Lets go hunt some Orc' (Everyone agrees on this on i think)<BR>'Whats this? A ranger caught off his guard'<BR>'If you want him,come and claim him' (Its could have been worse,she could have said 'if you want him come and get him')<BR>'Oh and they have a Cave Troll'<P>Best: 'A wizard is never late,he arrives precisely when he means to'<BR>No line can top that one....<BR>
Old 10-05-2002, 03:00 PM   #77
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Omg, Pippin? I don't know...hmm......there are so many....<P>Best: There is a whole scene here...so,<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Pippin:Are we lost? <BR>Merry:No. <BR>Pippin:I think we are <BR>Merry:Shhh. Gandalf's thinking. <BR>Pippin:Merry... <BR>Merry:What? <BR>Pippin:I'm hungry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Worst: There really isn't one. I loved him the whole movie.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:19 PM   #78
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

OK, best Pippin lines!<P> "somethingsomething Special. Quest. Thing." (sorry, I can't remember the first part of that one LOL) I love how his voice sounds when he says that.<P> "MUSHROOMS!"<P> "It comes in pints??? I'm getting one!" I just love how he talks <P> Worst Pippin line: "Great, ashes on my tomatoes!" <P> I know I'm very late, but best/worst lines of the previous characters...<P> Aragorn/Best line: "Indeed? I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."<P> Aragorn/Worst line: you know, I really can't think of one at the moment... <P> Legolas/Best line: the whole lament to Gandalf bit...sorry can't remember it either! Drat! *hides*<P> Legolas/Worst line: "ORCS!" The look on his face is hilarious! <P> Arwen/Best line: (in Elvish) "The Shadow does not hold sway yet, not over you, not over me."<P> Arwen/Worst line: (in Elvish)"Come back to the light..."<P> Gandalf/Best line: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" he sounds so powerful when he says it!<P> "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he intends to!"<P> Gandalf/Worst line: "Is it secret? Is it safe?"<p>[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Eruialiwen ]
Old 10-06-2002, 05:35 PM   #79
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I completely agree with Eruwen about the best Pippin lines and:<P>It comes in pints?...I'm getting one.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:16 AM   #80
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin:<BR>Best: the whole meal-thing <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Pip:We´ve had first breakfast. But what about second?<BR>Merry:I don´t think he knows about that.<BR>Pip: But what about 11 o´clock snack? Lunch? 4 o´clock tea? High tea? Dinner? Midnight snack? He does know that?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I´m not sure if it´s exactly correct, but that should be about it.<BR>Worst: You take it.(to merry) <BR> >GO PIPPIN < <P>Now, for the others... I know I´m a bit late..<BR>Arwen: Best: the whole bridge dialouge Worst: the I-am Arwen, come-to-the-light thing