The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2003, 06:40 AM   #361
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Who says this truth?
Quote:
He who would enter into the Kingdom of Faërie should have the heart of a little child.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #362
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I very much doubt that he says it any longer. That was Andrew Lang, quoted by Tolkien in On Fairy-Stories.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:13 AM   #363
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Right once again, Squatter - and "says" is literary, meaning that he still speaks to us through his works today! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Your turn!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #364
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Here's a useful one for explaining my chat-room departures:
Quote:
It's after three!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:39 AM   #365
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Is that from the song about the Inn? The one that goes:

There is an Inn, a merry old Inn,
Beneath an old gray hill
And there they brew a beer so brown
The Man in the Moon himself came down
One night to drink his fill

I think the verse that contains the line "It's after three." is near the end.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 04:17 AM   #366
Narduewen
Wight

Narduewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Narduewen Send a message via AIM to Narduewen
Silmaril

Yep, I found it in that poem,

While the landlord shook the Man in the Moon:
'It's after three!' he said.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:29 AM   #367
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the bit I was looking for. It was indeed the landlord to the Man in the Moon from The Man in the Moon stayed up too late in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. The convention we've been following here is to name the speaker, the person addressed and the work from which the quotation came. Completing the quote is optional.

Anyway, it's your turn Narduewen.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:58 AM   #368
Narduewen
Wight

Silmaril

Sorry for the wait. Next quote,

Quote:
"Where first"
Old 09-06-2003, 04:11 PM   #369
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
'Where first' you say? A fool's question!
That's Tídwald; however, he's quoting Torhthelm, who said:
Quote:
Where first do we make for? Have we far to go?
The night is passing, and I'm near finished...
both in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son. Appropriately, it's midnight as I write this...
Old 09-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #370
Narduewen
Wight

Silmaril

Well done! I was thinking of the first one, and I didn't even know there was a second one. You turn.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:55 PM   #371
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I cannot come!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #372
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

It looks like everyone is taking this quote seriously - anyone going to come? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 01:03 AM   #373
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

I'll have a go, may I?

It may be Firiel to elven mariners stating her inability to follow them, though they were apt to take her along:

Quote:
The oars were stayed. They turned aside:
'Do you hear the call, Earth-maiden?
Fíriel! Fíriel!' they cried.
'Our ship is not full-laden.
One more only we may bear.
Come! For your days are speeding.
Come! Earth-maiden elven-fair,
our last call heeding.'

Fíriel looked from the river-bank,
one step daring;
then deep in clay her feet sank,
and she halted staring.
Slowly the elven-ship went by
whispering through the water:
'I cannot come' they heard her cry.
'I was born Earth's daughter!'

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:54 AM   #374
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

You most certainly may - it's great to have the thread's founder looking in again, HI! Too often "I cannot come" has been your motto! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You are right, of course, it is Fíriel. Go ahead with a new one.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:51 AM   #375
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Thank you for your kind words, Estelyn, you are very encouraging [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] and lovely

Next one, a bit tricky, I should warn you:

Quote:
We've come to the causeway
[ September 16, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Old 09-16-2003, 12:33 PM   #376
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Now, that would be old Tídwald again:
Quote:
We've come to the causeway. The cart's near it,
so courage, my boy.
The weight of the duke begins to tell in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son. It's good to see you back here, old boy.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:17 AM   #377
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Thank you, Squatter. I'm equally glad to be here and to be welcomed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. My apologies for the delay, you've got it right, of course, and are welcome to proceed

Old 10-08-2003, 03:56 AM   #378
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Squatter, are you going to carry on here? Now that I'm back, I'd love to see this thread alive again.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #379
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Sorry about that. I forgot that I'd answered on this thread.

This one's on a theme close to my heart:
Quote:
That's the time for drinking!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:10 AM   #380
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, I thought right away that this one sounds like it's from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, and I was right - it's the Willow-wren, speaking to Tom.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:46 AM   #381
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Indeed it is. Your turn.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #382
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's one that seems appropriate to some forum discussions:
Quote:
Stop this nonsense!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:10 AM   #383
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the Sea Serpent, on waking from a nightmare unintentionally brought on by the hapless Artaxerxes in Roverandom. The same phrase is shouted at the PAM by the mer-folk to make him cast the unfortunate spell.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:56 PM   #384
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Wow, two answers for the price of one! I meant the second one, but you're right in both cases, of course. Your turn to pose a no-nonsense question...
Old 10-12-2003, 02:09 PM   #385
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Let's see for how long I can keep up an alcoholic theme:
Quote:
The wine is sweet, the cup is steep!
Old 10-17-2003, 03:50 AM   #386
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Aotrou is speaking to his wife Itroun in The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun:
Quote:
"I drink to thee for health and bliss,
fair love," he said, "and with this kiss
the pledge I pass. Come, drink it deep!
The wine is sweet, the cup is steep!"
Old 10-20-2003, 08:09 AM   #387
Spectre of Decay

1420!

That's the one.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:12 AM   #388
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The source of this quote is rather obvious, yet it tickles my fancy to hear the last word used in that context:
Quote:
...they're better than oysters at chat.
Who is speaking, and of whom?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:32 AM   #389
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

That is Master Of All Rovers to little Rover. He claims mermaids to be a lot more talkative than oyesters [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2003, 11:44 AM   #390
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The "of whom" is correct, HI, but the speaker is not quite accurate - take a closer look...
Old 10-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #391
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

My choice of wording must have been poor. Under Master of Rovers I meant mer-dog claiming such a title on the prosaic ground of being first of the name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2003, 03:18 PM   #392
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, then you were right - it was indeed the mer-dog! Go ahead with a new one!
Old 10-27-2003, 03:23 PM   #393
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

May you be blessed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Next serve, than:

Quote:
Not a nice trick to play, I don't think

Old 11-13-2003, 05:40 AM   #394
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Did it prove nasty trick to play [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ?

Old 11-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #395
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well, I did look for it in Roverandom and in Farmer Giles, since it sounded like it could have been there, but couldn't find it. Will you give a clue please?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:49 AM   #396
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

I'll try to give you a tricky hint then [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The sentence occurred in a conversation of two, one of whom thought himself superior and was 'kindly' joking, patronizingly inviting another to share a joke, yet this another, though usually humbling himself, this time was explicitly showing that the joke was not shared

Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 AM   #397
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, I found it now! Nokes, the Master Cook, is speaking of the disappearance of the Faery star to Alf Prentice in Smith of Wootton Major.
Quote:
He looked at Prentice with a smirk, and Prentice looked at him with dark eyes and did not smile at all.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #398
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that's the bloke [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn

Old 11-17-2003, 07:25 AM   #399
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Procrastinating?
Quote:
Tomorrow, if you like.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:12 PM   #400
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Anyone want to try today? Or tomorrow... if you like! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]