The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2003, 05:03 AM   #241
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Very good, HI - that one was a bit tricky to assign to a speaker! Your turn!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:56 PM   #242
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

heh, you call that tricky?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Try to solve the following than:

Quote:
Nay, we shall see! Let thanks abide till thanks be earned

(mad laughter: mwahahahahahaha!!!!!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:46 AM   #243
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

methinks I managed to stump all-knowing participants of this thread. Great me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Need a clue?

Old 03-15-2003, 03:20 AM   #244
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Yes, please...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-15-2003, 03:39 AM   #245
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Well, than:

Quote:
By Estelyn

These are:

Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wootton Major
On Fairy Stories
Mythopoeia
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son
extend the list with a piece or two

I hope it helps

Old 03-15-2003, 03:48 AM   #246
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

OK, we've already added Roverandom to the list - is that enough, or do we need more?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:35 AM   #247
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

more [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2003, 05:05 AM   #248
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Letters from Father Christmas(or
Father Christmas Letters, are they the same?)
The Monsters and the Critics

Those could be added to the list. But I haven't got a clue where that quote is from. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #249
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

The speaker quoted may be referred to as a woman (at least the person is referred to as "she" by JRRT), speaking unto the (clue! clue! - childless) mortal man.

hope it helps

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Old 03-17-2003, 01:18 AM   #250
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Nice clue, HI, but not so very helpful when I don't know in which minor work to start searching - or if I even have the work from which it's taken. Has it been mentioned in the above list? If not, how about a complete (new) list of the works which we are using now? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:01 AM   #251
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wootton Major
On Fairy Stories
Mythopoeia
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Father Christmas Letters
The Monsters and the Critics
Roverandom
<font color="FFF013">The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun
A Secret Vice

Add up in case I've missed anything

Old 03-17-2003, 02:12 AM   #252
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

OK, that hint was quite clear, thanks! I don't have The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun anywhere (can you tell me where it's been published?), but I do have a brief summary of it in Tom Shippey's J.R.R.Tolkien: Author of the Century, so I can make an educated guess. The speaker is the Corrigan, speaking to Aotrou.

Wow, you did find a very obscure work there, HI! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 02:44 AM   #253
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

She is. Your turn to serve [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2003, 03:59 AM   #254
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I found this interesting site listing other Tolkien writings. I thought it might be of some interest to all posting on this thread... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I might start a new topic conserning this list in the Books forum too.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:11 AM   #255
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

thanks for the link, Annunfuiniel, and welcome to thread [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Old 03-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #256
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
We haven't begun yet!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:03 PM   #257
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

That's Mew the seagull, in response to Rover's repeated assertions of his desire to return to terra firma; from Roverandom
Old 03-21-2003, 04:18 PM   #258
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right you are, Sir Squatter - proceed at will!
Old 03-22-2003, 11:57 AM   #259
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Here's a good one:
Quote:
Dear me! This is very peculiar!
How very true.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:05 AM   #260
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I was on the wrong track at first, looking for this quote in Roverandom, but now I discovered that it's in one of our old favorites, Farmer Giles of Ham! It's the parson, speaking of Giles' sword.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:49 PM   #261
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Indeed it is. That sudden flash of divine inspiration puts you back in the hot seat. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #262
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
Just drop me a line...
Old 03-31-2003, 03:57 PM   #263
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

The mer-dog saying farewell to Roverandom.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:32 AM   #264
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Absolutely right, Bruce, and welcome to the thread!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn...
Old 04-01-2003, 06:05 PM   #265
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Quote:
...and welcome to the thread!!!
I didn't seem to have much choice, since someone (I won't mention Esty's name) has been hounding me to join in for some time now. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

OK - here we go then:
Quote:
But you'll find it all right.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:07 AM   #266
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

'Twas the Porter to Niggle when asked the destination of the train.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #267
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

That would be correct, Esty! Would you like to pick what's behind Door #1, or would you like to ask the next question?
Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #268
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Oh dear, difficult choice - can't I have both? Oh well, here's the next:
Quote:
Ten Thousand Thunders!
Old 04-04-2003, 07:12 PM   #269
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Great! I finally know one. This is Augustus Bonifacius in Farmer Giles of Ham. He said this several times when he found out Giles was returning to Ham with the Chrysophylax's treasure.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #270
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right you are, alaklondewen, and welcome to the thread! It's nice to have another new face here with us in our little barrow! Now you may try to stump the rest of us! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #271
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Thank you, Estelyn for the welcome. I've been watching this thread for a while, but I am still working on the reading list. I'm sure I won't be able to stump you, but I'll try.

Quote:
It'll make them laugh.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #272
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Nokes the Cook to his apprentice Alf, regarding telling the children that the star was not a trinket but a ray-star from Faery.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #273
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Absolutely right! Carry on [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 06:02 AM   #274
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Quote:
I told you so
Old 04-10-2003, 12:06 AM   #275
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That was a rather generic quote, Bruce, so it took some widespread searching to find it. Those words were spoken by the blacksmith, with his usual cheery optimism [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] , in Farmer Giles of Ham.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:08 AM   #276
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Ah, but the generic quotes are the most fun, being the hardest to isolate! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Very nice job, Esty! Your turn.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:00 PM   #277
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
Help me up!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:02 PM   #278
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
Come, Maggot! Help me up! A tankard now you owe me.
An indignant Tom reproves Farmer Maggot for failing to recognise him and names his compensation. It's from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 AM   #279
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

...drrrrrrrummmmrrrrrooooolllllllll.......
and the Oscar goes to - Sir Squatter! Proceed at will!
Old 04-16-2003, 02:49 PM   #280
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Here's a cheery message:
Quote:
The world wept then, as it weeps today