The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2003, 03:30 AM   #321
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Indeed it is. I'm sure I'd be much more complementary about the Downs, though.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #322
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Complementary to the Downs, Squatter?? I'm sure you are! Here's a new quote for all of you thousands who are turning the pages of their books:
Quote:
We shall all be in our graves before then.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #323
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well, well; it would appear to be my week for mistakes. Of course I meant 'complimentary', so that will do nicely for Merendis' celebrated List.

There's no mistake to be made about your quotation, though:
Quote:
Even if I had the craft, I should be working for weeks. And we shall all be in our graves before then.
The ever-cheerful blacksmith of Ham addresses the villagers concerning the manufacture of mail.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:39 PM   #324
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That's it, Squatter, and let's hear it for unquenchable optimists!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-15-2003, 03:16 PM   #325
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Righto, O Ghosted One. When choosing these quotations I often think:
Quote:
Help me with this one!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:24 AM   #326
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The assistance required in that quote is quite appropriate for the Barrow-Downs - Tídwald asks Torhthelm to help him move a corpse in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #327
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Unlike Tídwald's burden, there are no flies on you Esty. Your turn.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #328
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Awwww, Squatter, you do make a lady the nicest compliments!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Here's one that should inspire all
Quote:
to do some thinking
Old 07-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #329
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

An answer is both easy and difficult, for the quote comes from 'Leaf By Niggle' and refers to Niggle's lone sojourn in the cell of the Workhouse, yet the speakers are some mysterious 'they' [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
They kept him in the dark for hours at a stretch, [/i]'to do some thinking'[/i] they said

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #330
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quite right, HI, and nice to have you joining our duet to make a trio again! Please carry on.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:32 PM   #331
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

I came across a nice cracker, I reckon [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] :

Quote:
they were too fond of sardines
and I'd rather learn who're "they" as well [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #332
Spectre of Decay

Sting

'They' are a collection of mythological characters associated with the sea, whom the speaker names as former resident magicians. This illustrious group consists of Proteus, Poseidon, Triton and Neptune, and their fondness for the Mediterranean may have more to do with their origin in Graeco-Roman myth than any piscine predilections they may have entertained.

The quotation is from Roverandom, and the speaker is the Man in the Moon. Naturally it is the eponymous canine hero whom he addresses.

[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 07-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #333
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Dear Squatter, the way you express yourself is fascinating! The answer is as precise as severest examiner may wish. You serve [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #334
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Why thank you, old boy. I suspect, though, that many who are new to English find themselves crying
Quote:
pot and jam him!
I can't say that I blame them either.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:12 AM   #335
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
'Done by a seaweed wizard, blister and wart him!' he swore. 'Done by a Persian plum-picker, pot and jam him!' he shouted, and kept on shouting till he was tired.
"He" is, of course, the wizard Psamathos, speaking to Roverandom of the wizard Artaxerxes.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM   #336
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Spot on, Esty. Let's have another.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #337
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a careful character:
Quote:
No risks for him.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:34 AM   #338
Spectre of Decay

1420!

That just goes to show how wrong one can be; especially if that one is Nokes, the former Master Cook. He's making a comment about the eponymous hero in a conversation with Prentice (soon to reveal himself to him as the King of Faery) in Smith of Wootton Major.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:39 AM   #339
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

You are so right, Squatter! Good job, and please carry on...
Old 07-27-2003, 07:19 AM   #340
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Here's a cheerful little line:
Quote:
I can't abide his eyes, bleak and evil
Old 07-27-2003, 09:50 AM   #341
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

...and it comes from that most cheerful poetry, The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, with Torhthelm speaking to Tídwald of a dead foe:
Quote:
Put the lantern out! He's looking at me.
I can't abide his eyes, bleak and evil
as Grendel's in the moon.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:17 AM   #342
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That boy certainly knows how to complain. Absolutely right, Esty. Your turn.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:35 AM   #343
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

This is a comforting sentence:
Quote:
Never you worry, lass!
I'd like to know not only the speaker, but also the "lass" who's being consoled.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:48 AM   #344
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I only have the audio version of Farmer Giles but I remember him (Farmer Giles) saying this to his horse, did I remember wrong?
Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 PM   #345
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Your memory serves you well, gilraën - he is reassuring his mare that she will not have to carry the dragon's treasure back. Welcome to the thread, and please puzzle us with a new quote!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:07 PM   #346
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Forgive me if my memory serves me wrong in this.

Quote:
"Let him decide"
Old 07-29-2003, 01:31 PM   #347
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
Now at farewell I will make you my messenger. If you meet the King, say to him: The time has come. Let him choose.
The Queen of Faery addresses Smith in Smith of Wootton Major
Old 07-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #348
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Absolutely correct Squatter [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I knew I hadn't remembered it perfectly.

Your turn.

Those Audio tapes, on the way to work, have kept me sane for a long while, other drivers! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 05:42 PM   #349
Spectre of Decay

Sting

It was close enough, gilraen; it's nice to see a new face in the thread. Here's one to ponder while I'm in the land of Nod:
Quote:
You'll get nothing cheaper
Old 08-02-2003, 05:38 PM   #350
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That was difficult to find, since it's not typical for the work in which it appears:
Quote:
Hullo there, my lads! You're late comers,
if it's fighting you look for; but I can find you some,
if you need it tonight. You'll get nothing cheaper.
Tídwald is the speaker in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #351
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Indeed it is. My favourite Minor Work rears its dreary head once more. Your turn.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #352
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a nice question:
Quote:
Can you hear what I'm saying?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #353
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Hellooooooo - did anyone hear the question?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:14 PM   #354
Spectre of Decay

Sting

It's from Roverandom. At first that was all Rover could think of to say to little boy Two when they met on the Dark Side of the Moon.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:31 PM   #355
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, you did hear! The answer is right, of course, and you may proceed.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #356
Spectre of Decay

Sting

The result, perhaps, of an all-you-can-eat buffet?
Quote:
I feel rather full
Old 08-08-2003, 07:36 AM   #357
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I'm sure it must be a member of the Non-Gender-Specific-Ship after the food fight on "The Reunification of the Entish Bow"... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #358
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Although The Re-unification of the Entish Bow is undoubtedly a masterpiece of this young century's literature, its status as one of J.R.R. Tolkien's minor works has been thoroughly debunked by professor E.B. Smallworthy of Barterhouse, Oxford. Unfortunately his web-site was recently crashed by a vicious ping-flood attack, so I can't offer you a link.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:31 AM   #359
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

OK, OK, if you absolutely must be fussy and canonical about it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], here's the answer - it's Tim, the last recipient of the Faerie star in Smith of Wootton Major. He says:
Quote:
Dear Mr Cook, only cut me a small slice please. I've eaten so much already, I feel rather full.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:09 AM   #360
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the fellow. Your turn.