The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM   #321
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Yes, of course

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:14 AM   #322
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
New quote

-- -- ----- -- --------, - --- ---- -- ------- ---- ------ --- ------- -- --- -----. ---- ---- ----- --- ---- -------- --------- ----!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #323
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
"l"s?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:01 PM   #324
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

and my favourite...

T's too

Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #325
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ls and Ts, coming up...

-- -t ----- t- ----t---, - --- ---- -- --ll--- ---- -l---- --- --tt--- -- -ll -----. T--- ---- ----- --- ---- -------- --------- -l--!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #326
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Nokes to Alf:

Quote:
If it comes to courtesy, I see none in calling your elders and betters by ill names. Take your Fairy and your nonsense somewhere else!

Old 12-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #327
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm flabbergasted - how did you do that??? You're right, of course.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #328
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

secrets of craft revealed

This is how I do it:

Quote:
Is (if, as, so) it ----- to ----t---, I may (see, say, lie, die,) ---- is killing (calling, rolling, tolling, billing) ---- elders (almond, albino, alpine) and (for) betters -- ill -----. Take (took, told), ---- ----- --- ---- -------- --------- glad, (clad, olid, slid, bled, else)!
The main goal is to guess out some key-words - in this case - betters (when combined with 'calling', as I do not remember much 'killings' with JRRT - 'slaying' a-plenty, but 'killings' not that much, still more in 'minor works' - so, I assume it is 'calling'. I know only one person to accuse somebody of 'calling his betters' - else is technical staff of finding exact quote

To calculate possibilities, I employ Lingvo 9 (translating tool - Russian/English, but there are versions with French, German and Italian as well) - in my case, very useful facility to check spelling and meaning out, and I've found, for PoF type of games too. Per instance, the last word has a second 'l' in it. It may have a consonant before l (as in 'bled, clad'), or may not. 'else' comes to mind, but to double-check it, I may type something like 'alxe' into itno Lingvo search field. In return, it comes up with possible choices: axle and aloe. For 'elxe' - else and Elbe come out, for 'olxe' - nothing sensible. What my role is, is to make correct choice and than go for books

So good for craft secret

Next on up, though:

Quote:
---- ----- --- ----- ----- ------ ----;
--- ----- ------‘- ---- --- ------- --- ----,
--- --- ---‘-- -- ------ ----!

Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #329
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
"w"s?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 AM   #330
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
How about A ?
Old 12-03-2004, 07:13 AM   #331
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

And some "E"s please .
Old 12-03-2004, 08:47 AM   #332
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Wae

WAE

Quote:
--e w---e ----e- -- --e ----,
--e- -e--- a-- --a-- --e-- ----e- ----;
--- --e-- -a--e-‘- -ee- a-- ---w-e- --- w---,
a-- --e ---‘-- -e ------ ----!

Old 12-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #333
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

T for me, please (again...)
Old 12-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #334
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Waet

WAET:

Quote:
T-e w--te ----e- -- t-e ----,
T-e- -e--- a-- --a-- t-e-- ----e- --t-;
--t T-e-- -a-te-‘- -ee- a-- ---w-e- --- w-t-,
a-- --e ---‘-- -e ------ ----!

Old 12-03-2004, 02:52 PM   #335
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

R ?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #336
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

H too, please
Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #337
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Hwaert

Quote:
The wh-te h-r-e- -- the ----,
The- -e--h a-- -ha-- the-r ----er --t-;
--t the-r -a-ter-‘- -ee- a-- -r-w-e- h-- w-t-,
a-- the ---‘-- -e r----- ----!
Sorry for missing the T in the last line in my previous

Old 12-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #338
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
The ostler said to his tipsy cat:
"The white horses of the Moon,
They neigh and champ their silver bits;
But their master's been and drowned his wits,
and the Sun'll be rising soon!"
From The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Old 12-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #339
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Yes indeed Next serve is yours

Old 12-03-2004, 04:09 PM   #340
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a shorter one; I find it amusing!
Quote:
----, --------- --- ------- ------ -- ------?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:25 PM   #341
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Wild guesses, so O's please?

Old 12-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #342
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O-nly one

----, --------- --- ------- o----- -- ------?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #343
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

E's please
Old 12-03-2004, 04:47 PM   #344
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"n"s?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:08 AM   #345
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The o-n-e palantir ;)

----, ---e----e -n- -en---- o---n- o- ---n--?

(including one O that I missed the first time - sorry!)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:39 AM   #346
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Once revealed, craft secret failed to help me out

Any D's in there?

Old 12-04-2004, 03:43 AM   #347
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

D-o-n-e

----, d--e----e -nd -en---- o---n- o- ---n--?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:11 AM   #348
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Councillor Tompkins to Atkins the Teacher, about Niggle and latter's love of pretty things:

Quote:
What, digestive and genital organs of plants?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:46 AM   #349
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's a quote that makes me chuckle. I can't imagine how you figured it out from those few letters, but you did! Your turn, HI.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #350
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

d--e----e - could not find anything to fit in, unless it struck

next one:

Quote:
- ----- ----- --‘-- ---- ---- ----,
--- ----- ----- ---- -- ---- --- ----;
--- -- ---- ----- --- ---- -----
-- --- ----, ---- -- ---
---- ----- -----

Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 PM   #351
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Some "A"s to start off with .
Old 12-05-2004, 02:55 AM   #352
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

A

A:

Quote:
A ----- --a-- --‘-- -a-- ---- --a-,
a-- ----- --a-- ---- -- ---- --- --a-;
a-- -- ---- ----- --- ---- -----
-- --- a---, a--- -- ---
---- -a--- -a---

Old 12-05-2004, 03:02 PM   #353
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

T's please
Old 12-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #354
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

...and "S"s as well, if you please.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:52 PM   #355
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

sat

SAT:

Quote:
A ----- --ast --‘-- -a-- t--s --a-,
a-- t---- s-a-- ---- -- s--- --- t-a-;
a-- -- ---- ----- --- ---- -----
-- --- a---, a--- t- ---
---- -a--- -at-s

Old 12-05-2004, 06:18 PM   #356
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"r"s?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:59 AM   #357
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Satr

SATR:

Quote:
A --rr- --ast --‘-- -a-- t--s --ar,
a-- t--r- s-a-- ---- -- s--- --- t-ar;
a-- -- ---- ----- --r ---- -----
-- --- a---, a--- t- r--
---- -a--- -at-s

Old 12-06-2004, 02:11 AM   #358
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N, please
Old 12-06-2004, 02:15 AM   #359
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Satrn

Satrn (we'll get Saturn if the next person asks for u... )

Quote:
A --rr- --ast --‘-- -a-- t--s --ar,
an- t--r- s-a-- ---- n- s--- n-- t-ar;
an- -- ---- ----n --r ---- ----n
-- --- an--, an-- t- r-n
---n -a--- -at-s

Old 12-06-2004, 07:29 AM   #360
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

A merry feast we'll make this year,
and there shall come no sigh nor tear;
and we will feign our love begun
in joy anew, anew to run
down happy paths -

I don't have "The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun" , but I figured out the first line and most of the second one, and I thought it sounded like it - and I remembered there was a link to it here in the Downs...