The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2004, 10:46 AM   #201
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Can we have a hint please?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:08 AM   #202
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I may give a hint by quoting Pink Floyd, I suppose:

"the wall was too high, he could not break through..."

he in the quote being Prosaist. But he was trying to avoid the necessity of breaking through the newly built wall anyways.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:17 AM   #203
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Well, additional help, as it may be:

Prosaist in question was apt not to force his way through the wall, though he had appropriate means to, but to negotiate the share of what was behind the wall. The person he was addressing was behind said wall too.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:23 AM   #204
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Ah, so Bard is the Prosaist then. I haven't the book to hand, but it goes something like:

Quote:
"Thieves we are not," said Bard. "We will give you your own in return for our own"
Edit: Ah, now I have my book. The quote is:

Quote:
We are not thieves," Bard answered. "Your own we will give back in return for our own."

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 03-26-2004 at 06:26 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:07 AM   #205
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

that's the chap. go ahead

Old 03-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #206
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question Next up

Thanks HI.

This may take some searching:

Quote:
"Nay, nay, 'tis possible you may not ask me, slave," she whispered. "You haven't missed our solitary silence outside the Tower of Cirith Ungol. A wilderness of giants: it wasn't there that Saruman went, but has no wish to leave. They wanted to do more then than find a camel."
Old 04-03-2004, 02:23 AM   #207
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

it certainly has. I personally feel like a hint

Old 04-03-2004, 04:50 AM   #208
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I second that motion - it sounds like it should be a Gollum quote, beginning with "yes, yes" and including "master", but I have searched and not been able to find it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #209
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe Hmm, seems like a hint may well be in order.

The quote is not from LotR, though it was said during the period covered by that book ...
Old 04-04-2004, 11:05 AM   #210
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!! Tricksy Master Saucy!! I found it in the Unfinished Tales, 'The Hunt for the Ring' - Wormtongue is speaking to the Lord of the Nazgûl:
Quote:
'Yea, yea, verily I can tell you, Lord,' he said. 'I have overheard their speech together in Isengard. The land of the Halflings: it was thence that Gandalf came, and desires to return. He seeks now only a horse.'
Old 04-04-2004, 12:11 PM   #211
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up Correct!

Hehe! Well done, Esty. That's the one.

Please proceed ...
Old 04-05-2004, 01:38 AM   #212
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a fast and easy one:
Quote:
Warm was foot or brain or flesh, or warm was waking above water
Old 04-05-2004, 02:49 AM   #213
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
"Cold be hand and heart and bone,
And cold be sleep under stone"
Old 04-05-2004, 06:43 AM   #214
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's right, Evisse - your turn!
Old 04-08-2004, 02:11 AM   #215
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
work your way around this:

"You taught Miss Esmeralda that before you are old. You never heard from her poetry unlike this, failing to notice when you never wanted to see any Orcs."
Old 04-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #216
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's Sam on Weathertop, speaking of the lay The Fall of Gil-Galad:
Quote:
I learned it from Mr. Bilbo when I was a lad. He used to tell me tales like that, knowing how I was always one for hearing about Elves.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 AM   #217
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

that's the one!

Therefore please continue.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #218
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new one:
Quote:
If morning out of Mordor is red
her handprints under the Sea are seen;
after the sunset she came here
off stay short with much silence.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #219
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

easy

Quote:
When evening in the Shire was grey
his footsteps on the Hill were heard;
before the dawn he went away
on journey long without a word.

Old 04-10-2004, 01:08 PM   #220
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Wow! That was fast, HI! Well, I'm sure yours will be more difficult to find out...
Old 04-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #221
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

we shall see

Quote:
Life we can take undeservedly or deservedly, but patronymics he well give us not of aristocrats, or officials, or slavemasters
it is easy, after all

edit: PS for Evisse - it is not from the Hobbit, chapter 15, by the way

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-10-2004 at 01:17 PM. Reason: PS to be added
Old 04-10-2004, 01:31 PM   #222
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ah, this one is familiar, though it took me a few minutes to realize that it's from the Silmarillion. Beren says to Thingol:
Quote:
Death you can give me earned or unearned; but the names I will not take from you of baseborn, nor spy, nor thrall.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:37 PM   #223
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

fast and correct!

Proceed, for you earned the right and deservedly are entitled to

Old 04-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #224
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Try this one:
Quote:
Above the Sea light or short
The Queen has gone from her boudoir!
Her friend is not alive, the Eagle of Anticipation,
Nor never her friends will not rise.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #225
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

"Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King has come unto his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall."

Quote:
PS for Evisse - it is not from the Hobbit, chapter 15, by the way
. No, but this one is. LOL!
Old 04-11-2004, 11:10 AM   #226
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the correct quote, Evisse - though you didn't mention the speaker(s)...
Old 04-13-2004, 09:02 AM   #227
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Tolkien

The speakers are the dwarves singing their little victory song.
Now for the next versified roundabout:

Stillness will be on her naked scalp,
The dunes afar from her will dim,
Close by, we heard her weak and foul,
Come crawling like a rat.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:44 AM   #228
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

a little hint, perhaps?

Old 04-20-2004, 03:55 AM   #229
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Famous ballad from LOTR.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #230
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

o la la. thanks . as I'm stuck on chapter 15 of the Hobbit, in your recent quizzing you seem to drool (if I may be allowed to use an expression) over Legolas . So Legolas it is, with the song of Nimrodel:

Quote:
The wind was in his flowing hair,
The foam about him shone;
Afar they saw him strong and fair
Go riding like a swan.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #231
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

White Tree

lol, that was just about as uninentional as your chapter 15 fixation...unintentional but maybe not entirely meaningless, as any psychoanalyst would not lose the opportunity to warn us...

Anyway - you're up!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:50 AM   #232
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Well, whatever Freid may have had to say, Huisinga rules in this thread. Victor Ludorum to go on, and next is up

Quote:
Heated burning Sand can't be rubbed at ease
Up their replete salience. Be they fakely sad!
Worse by far is Coke, once some food they lease
Icy Sands are worst if rubbed on their head

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-28-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:41 PM   #233
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye Eureka!

First I got this:

Quote:
Cold icy earth may be struck with difficulty
Down our empty irrelevance. Are we genuinely happy?
Water is no better, when no drink we buy
Warm earth is better if struck under our feet
Which, of course, made no sense at all. But then it led me to this:

Quote:
O! Water cold we may pour at need
down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;
but better is Beer, if drink we lack,
And Water Hot poured down the back.
Which is one of Bilbo's favourite bath-songs, as sung by Pippin at Crickhollow. And, by Jove, I do believe it's the answer.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #234
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

spot on! Over to you

Old 04-29-2004, 07:07 AM   #235
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question Next up

How about this rather sad piece:

Quote:
But then I see his silent hands,
And distinctly oblivious to the creeping chill,
Humourless I climb,
And eventually maintaining equilibrium
I pull him onboard, but shallow he breathes,
And finds his solemn death
As he had expected, Don’t be silly!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #236
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

that took a while, but I've found it nevertheless

And when He hears their tapping feet,
Or faintly feels the sudden heat,
With smile
HE dives,
And promptly turning upside-down
He tips them off, and deep they drown,
And lose their silly lives
To their surprise,
Be wise!

HIM being Fastitocalon

Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #237
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

That's the one. You're up, H-I.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #238
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

well thank you

here we go again:

Quote:
Water, water stone and sand
Swell and stifle! Whistling rifle!
Darken the day for them to despair
Derry dol!

Sow and reap us, gather and heap us
After cheeks pale and their breaths rale
After horn shows and hide peels
Meat denses and blood heals
And fires leap
Over the earth!

And giants will live!
So dark the day for them to despair
Derry dol!
Dol derry dol!
Derry dol!

Old 05-04-2004, 05:29 AM   #239
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye And the inverse of derry dol ...

... is of course ya hey!

It's the Goblin's song while setting fire to the trees in which Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin and Co took had taken refuge:

Quote:
Burn, burn tree and fern!
Shrivel and scorch! A fizzling torch
To light the night for our delight,
Ya hey!

Bake and toast ‘em, fry and roast ‘em!
Till beards blaze, and eyes glaze;
Till hair smells and skins crack,
Fat melts, and bones black
In cinders lie
Beneath the sky!

So dwarves shall die,
And light the night for our delight!
Ya hey!
Ya-harri-hey!
Ya hoy!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:49 AM   #240
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

yes of course