The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2002, 09:05 AM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That is a cute quote, HI! Gandalf says to Bilbo and the dwarves:
Quote:
Warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:47 AM   #42
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

yes, Esty, That's it. Thanks for the compliment, BTW

*bows

well, proceed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 AM   #43
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Quote:
Revive none including the giants; you will not be taken away dead as slowly as impossible.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-07-2002, 01:48 AM   #44
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that's Grishnakh quarreling with Ugluk and others over Pipppin and Merry:

Quote:
Kill all but not the Halfings; they are to be brought back alive as quickly as possible

Old 11-07-2002, 04:17 AM   #45
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well, HI, the name of the speaker is not specifically mentioned, but the quote is correct and I consider the question answered well enough. Go ahead with a new one.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:37 AM   #46
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

ah, but who else that 'deep voice' may be? Still more who else beside Ugluk had 'orders'?

Anyways, easy one to follow:

Quote:
Fili is not the thinnest, so was undone by one
[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Old 11-09-2002, 12:28 PM   #47
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The opposite of Fili and thinnest had to be Bombur and fattest, so this one was just a matter of searching for the right passage in the Hobbit. Gandalf says:
Quote:
Bombur is fattest and will do for two.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:15 AM   #48
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

correct [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2002, 08:51 AM   #49
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a new one:
Quote:
You take the feeling of none which you hate from none which you undo.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:12 AM   #50
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I give a numbness for one which I love for all that I do.

As a wild guess
Old 11-13-2002, 10:28 AM   #51
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

'Love' is right, but the rest isn't even close - keep trying! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 03:04 AM   #52
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

sounds like Lorien:

Quote:
we put the thought of all that we love into all that we make

Old 11-14-2002, 05:10 AM   #53
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

But who says it?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:55 AM   #54
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Ah sorry Estelyn. It was said by some unnamed leader of 'elves that could speak their tongue'

Old 11-14-2002, 07:01 AM   #55
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Precisely - go ahead!
Old 11-15-2002, 04:54 AM   #56
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

well well

Quote:
Because that was murmured as Boatpool

Old 11-15-2002, 11:25 AM   #57
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

So this is shouted for Shipland

? ?
Old 11-16-2002, 02:02 AM   #58
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

nay, dear Mr. Cabbage, it's a bit trickier [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] than that

Old 11-17-2002, 05:57 AM   #59
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Hint? (I've not got got much experience in quote guessing games) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2002, 12:23 PM   #60
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My guess....
Why is it called Carrock?
Old 11-18-2002, 12:48 AM   #61
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

yes, hobbitlass, you hit it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

proceed

Old 11-19-2002, 12:52 PM   #62
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Come nothing that can't be necessity in front! They won't lift off by night and light!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #63
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Quote:
Leave all that can be spared behind! We will press on by day and dark!
~ Aragorn, Departure of Boromir, in TTT to Legolas and Gimli.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]
Old 11-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #64
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Quote:
Two policemen unfairly get the same
Old 11-22-2002, 10:08 AM   #65
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Pipe

Is it really that hard, or is nobody bothering to post? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
And I worked so hard... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2002, 10:30 AM   #66
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Can you give us a clue? I don't know where to start looking yet...
(btw, cute avatar picture! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 11-22-2002, 10:40 AM   #67
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

It is in RotK, if that helps.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:16 AM   #68
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

LePetitChoux, I'm still hunting, but can you give another clue? I'm not sure if my 'translation' of opposites is right - I thought 'one' for the first word and 'difference' for the last one, but I have no idea what the opposite of policemen could be!
Old 11-24-2002, 06:44 AM   #69
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Gosh, I thought it was good at the time... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'll have to change it...it is pretty confusing, now I come to think of it...
OK, here is the new, refurbished quote.

Quote:
Two sponsors are unworthy of the same one
Hopefully thats better.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2002, 07:05 AM   #70
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One thief deserves another?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:45 PM   #71
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Yes. I'm sure you know who said it, but its in the rules that you must state the speaker [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2002, 01:56 PM   #72
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sorry, i've no idea who said it, anyone who does can go right ahead.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:22 PM   #73
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

'Twas Saruman, speaking of the tobacco pouch when he met Gandalf and the hobbits on their way back to the Shire.

Orodoliel, you did the hard part, getting the quote - would you like to make up the next one?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:33 PM   #74
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Sting

No, you go right ahead. You got the whole answer.

Anyway, I prefer guessing quotes to making them up.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:44 PM   #75
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
Her joy she may remember, and it might lighten her mind, and she will forget folly.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:06 PM   #76
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

His pain he will forget, or it will darken his mind, or he will remember wisdom.

I was just gussing so its probably wrong...clue please? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Iknow i'm boring [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #77
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's pretty close, LePetitChoux - try looking in RotK...
Old 11-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #78
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

I cannot find it! Which book is it in (5 or 6)? I was sure it was the speech that Elrond said in the film, "That wound will never fully heal"-i.e. concerning Frodo's Nazgul stabbing. Am I anwhere near?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #79
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

It's in Book V, and it's not Frodo's wound - think of another wounded Hobbit!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:44 PM   #80
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

Sting

Thanks! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
His grief he will not forget; but it will not darken his heart, it will teach him wisdom.
Aragorn, to Pippin when he was worried Merry would die. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That was so silly of me...I read that part yesterday! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]