The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 AM   #281
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That's so close to being absolutely correct that minor imprecisions are pardonable, HI. Your turn.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #282
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
thank you

To set matters right, here is the correct quotation:

Quote:
Fly away little birds! Fly away if you can! Come down little birds, or you will get roasted in your nests!
And the next one runs as follows:

Quote:
Let us come in! She will lull us to sleep even in the middle of the day

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:36 AM   #283
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have no idea where to find a quote that sounds like it could be right - can you give a clue, please? I've 'translated' the first part thus: "Make them go out! He won't wake them..." Is that close?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #284
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

clues

One person was proposing to another to take his turn on duty in his stead. There was more than mere altruism behind the proposal

Old 08-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #285
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Guess it out quick or else I myself may forget the original...

well, well, there was a deadly foe [unexpectedly] dead in battle not long before the conversation took place, but matters were not resolved as it was expected, so more 'foes' (commas intended) came around.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #286
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

HI, I'm trying to figure this one out, but I've paged through passage after passage without finding it. Can you give a clue as to which of the 6 LotR books it's in? That would narrow the search down!
Old 08-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #287
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

LoTR? Whos said it was LoTR? Ah, wrong book altogether...

Dwarf and 'human' (commas intended again). In the book I quote the most

ah, and 'human' does not mean that he were, say, a wizard. Rather, one who would not need to stoop to shake hands with a dwarf, rather the opposite, dwarf would.

Ok, ok, no I almost said it, I can as well go and say that conversation took place between:

Hobbit and dwarf

Old 08-08-2004, 02:35 PM   #288
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks! Looking in the right book is very helpful indeed! Bilbo is speaking to Bombur:
Quote:
Off you go! I will wake you at midnight
Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #289
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

correct

Old 08-18-2004, 05:10 AM   #290
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Not to be forgotten and lost...

... the thread goes up...

Old 08-25-2004, 03:38 PM   #291
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Sorry, been away for over a week - will come up with a new one ASAP...
Old 08-26-2004, 02:10 AM   #292
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's an easy one to get going again:
Quote:
The Pauper above the seas, the Pauper of unhewn wood, the servant of leaden statues won't go to take from others!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:35 AM   #293
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

easy

The King beneath the mountains,
The King of carven stone,
The lord of silver fountains
Shall come into his own

The Hobbit

Old 09-01-2004, 01:51 AM   #294
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

For you, of course it's easy! I was just hoping I might tempt someone else to try their hand at it, but without you, this thread is dormant...

Go ahead with a new one!
Old 09-01-2004, 02:54 AM   #295
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

let us keep it easy, than

Though ugly are as ugly destroy, as they think in Landia

Old 09-01-2004, 03:21 AM   #296
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

hmmmm, Sam says "handsome is as handsome does" to Faramir, but that quote lacks the addition of "as we say in the Shire", so I guess I'll have to keep on looking...
Old 09-01-2004, 04:24 AM   #297
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

this thread should be of help, than

Old 09-01-2004, 06:23 AM   #298
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
But handsome is as handsome does, as we say in the Shire
Ah, my second guess was the right one then. This time, it's Pippin, speaking of Strider, whom Frodo thought "looks foul and feels fair". Which goes to show that looks aren't everything!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #299
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

correct

Old 09-03-2004, 06:48 AM   #300
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new one:
Quote:
Then went the picture of one-eyed Sauron or the Sword of Joy
Old 09-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #301
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Is it the minstrel of Gondor at the Field of Cormallen?

Quote:
For I will sing to you of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #302
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's close, very close, Saucy, but the one I chose precedes that one - a prophecy of sorts...
Old 09-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #303
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
"Do you think they'll say: now comes the story of Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom?"
It was Sam to Frodo on the slopes of Mt. Doom.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:51 PM   #304
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, Firefoot - that's the exact quote! Your turn now.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:17 AM   #305
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Thanks.
Quote:
"When I go off the secret stream up to a lower closet, I might be freed there."
Old 09-19-2004, 05:53 AM   #306
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Can we have a clue please?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:00 AM   #307
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It's in one of the books 2, 4, or 6 of LotR.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:25 AM   #308
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've skimmed all three of those books and still can't find anything close to what I think it should be. Another clue, please? Perhaps where it takes place?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:42 AM   #309
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I believe I've got it

That would be Gandalf in Moria:

Quote:
If we had come by the main road down from the upper halls, we should have been trapped here
as the Fellowship comes out into the hall by the side passage, passing the great crack of fire.

Old 09-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #310
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

That's the one, H-I! Please continue.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:40 AM   #311
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

‘Yes, such is her desire!’ shouted Loki. ‘She knows his heart well. She does understand he and the goblins could not let them die, not after the great feat they accomplished!’

Old 11-12-2004, 07:27 AM   #312
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

As Frodo is allegedly derived from Norse Frođa, I gave myself liberty of opposing to him Loki. So, hint is = the reversed quote is what Frodo spake

Old 11-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #313
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I keep coming back to this and I still can't find anything... another hint, perhaps?
Old 11-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #314
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

well, goblins, obviously, is opposite of elves. 'she' in this case is Gandalf

Old 01-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #315
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Question I believe I have it...

"No, and I don't want to", said Frodo. "I can't understand you. Do you mean to say that you, and the Elves, have let him live on after all those horrible deeds?"

Frodo to Gandalf, in The Shadow of the Past.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #316
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

That's correct

Wonderfull comeback, Evisse, - I keep chasing you around old chestnuts unsolved in the quotes subforum just to confirm - yes, you've got it. And that one too, and the third one is guessed correclty as well... .

!

Old 01-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #317
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
LOL, sorry to send you running! But things were dead in the Quotes forum, and I don't mean dead in a good way, like it should be here on the Barrows...

Next one up:

"I sure hope that Minas Morgul is destroyed and and rots in hell!"

Last edited by Evisse the Blue; 01-05-2005 at 02:25 PM. Reason: destroyEd
Evisse the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 AM   #318
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I feel like a hint...

Yes, I surely do...

Old 08-10-2005, 04:48 AM   #319
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Amazingly, I think I still remember this quote...or I think I do.

Hint: It's been said by someone's bedside.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #320
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have a feeling...

...that this is about Minas Tirith. I can almost bet on it. I just can't locate where something like this is it said, though! This is SO frustrating!
I'll have a stab at it: Denethor, right before his death, even though I don't remember what exactly he said?