The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Terrible!

Today, a classmate of mine had a book presentation in English class about "The Hobbit" (understandably I had "The Lord of the Rings",wich was a great succes )Well it was disastrous and terribly wrong in my view. She said the Goblin-accident in the mountains was the first adventure of Thorin & Company. She didn't mention Gollum or the Battle of Five Armies at all! What's worse,she apparently forgot Thorin died and called Smaug Smang. Also,she said that the Dwarves went on an adventure with Bilbo,instead of vice versa.Then she had the map of Erebor and actually told us the Shire was AT the edge of the map,though the map didn't even extend into Mirkwood. Then suddenly,she was to read her poem. Two things about that:
1. It was 'The one Ring',wich she had barely mentioned and wich has in context nothing to do with the Hobbit.
2. I had read the exact same poem for my presentation (wich was of course far superior as I mentioned the Christian symboly, the 'angelic' nature of Gandalf and Sauron,as well as the themes and the like.

All in all,this was a shocking experience.