The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril References to Tolkien's work in *your* work

I've started a new thread for this since the other school-related threads mostly deal with whether Tolkien should be taught in school. This thread is for bits of Tolkien you've put into your schoolwork (or regular work, too).

My tale is this: economics is boring. I therefore decided to make it more interesting by tying Celebrimbor and Friends into one of my summer assignment questions.

The question: Discuss five of the economic goals listed in the chapter. Give examples of these goals in today's economy. Examining all the goals, describe how certain goals complement each other and how others are mutually exclusive. What priorities do you assign to them?

My response:

Economic policies exist for the purpose of achieving economic goals, of which there are many. The example I shall use to relate these goals to today’s economy is the fictional business Mirdain Jewelers, the owner of which is one Mr. Celebrimbor. The craft of creating jewelry has run in his family – his grandfather was famed for the beauty of his work. However, this ancestor poured so much time and energy into his work that he only created a few pieces, though exquisite they were. This satisfied but half of the goal of economic growth: to create better products. Mr. Celebrimbor has inherited no small amount of his grandfather’s skill, and so he has sought to satisfy the other half of the goal by creating more products. In order to do this, Mr. Celebrimbor realized he had to hire more workers. He hired fellow artisans to work with him, achieving the goal of full employment: the providing of jobs for those willing and able to work. Together, they could increase their output, tying this second goal in with the first. This also allowed them to achieve economic efficiency. With their combined efforts, more resources were available to them, and they now were able to sell more jewelry and even take some commissions. Mr. Celebrimbor and his coworkers were pleased, because the extra money they were able to make gave them the economic freedom to run their business in they way they wanted. The business began to flourish, and orders for many custom pieces of jewelry came in. The workers at Mirdain Jewelers were sometimes unable to take every commission, but they were always glad to recommend another well-reputed business to customers, thus giving potential buyers the freedom of choice as well. As word got out about the skill of Mr. Celebrimbor and his associates, they began to receive commissions from distinguished leaders of foreign nations. Some thought that the work the business did was so special that it should be kept exclusive, but the majority of the workers were eager to have a job so prestigious. They even met with representatives of the foreign nations and incorporated native designs into the commissions. Mr. Celebrimbor hoped that this would improve international relations and create a balance of trade.

All of these goals are clearly interrelated and lead straight into one another, such as full employment and economic efficiency aiding in the achievement of economic growth. Of these five, the balance of trade is the most exclusive, since a business is under no obligation to make an even balance of trade with the rest of the world. A business may opt for a balance which works more in its favor and has no regard for other nations. For example, Mr. Celebrimbor could have decided to refuse to sell his products to other nations. But he and his workers went so far as to take creative input from their foreign customers to make sure that they were satisfied. The goal to which I would assign the highest priority is economic freedom, because without the freedom to make one’s own choices, business owners and workers will lose the desire to do better and create better goods and services. Economic freedom keeps prices lower and products better since rivaling companies are always competing with one another; this is favorable for consumers.

-------------------------------------

So here's my question: should I hand this in as my answer? Could it be considered plagiarism since I somewhat borrowed the backstory?

If anyone else has done anything similar, please post it or recount what happened here.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well during my abortive attempt at ACCA I discovered the text book writers were obsessed by Soap operas - all the example business were very clearly based on ones in Walford or Weatherfield (or wherever Coronation Street is...)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
That would not be plagiarism in my opinion. You could even state at the end that character names and situations were borrowed from UT and the Sil.

I would say that this is very creative and you have done a wonderful job in finding a modern day application to this story and have a good grasp of economic policy

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
I would say that this is very creative and you have done a wonderful job in finding a modern day application to this story and have a good grasp of economic policy.
Completely agree!

And yes, I have included Tolkien in my work over the years. This thread has come at a good time - I'm just sorting out my school books from September 2000 to now! I've noticed Tolkien started creeping in from 2003 onwards.

At the moment, I can only find little scraps. Things such as a piece of Quenya scribbled across the top of my work in Angerthas runes, stating that I am King under the Mountain or whatever. I'm sure I'll uncover something more interesting though, and will tell you when I do!

I also noticed that I changed my Quenya name a lot back then. Originally I just adopted "Aranwe" because I liked the meaning (Kingly person) and for some reason, Glamrist was my surname... Anywho, a lot of work would be signed by my Elvish alias, along with my English name. Yes, the teachers thought me odd...

Ah, I just found some scrawlings in the back of my German book, with little drawings labelled in Quenya.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 08-15-2005 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
What Encaitare is doing is not plagiarism, it is actually very nice. Most of my school compositions have a lot of Tolkien references, even if some can be spotted only by true fans. And once at an English competition I had to describe an ideal teacher. I described Aragorn, because I have learned a lot from him and I am still learning. You should have seen what face my English teacher made when I told her what I had done.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am always using Tolkien's characters in my exams. I was writing about love and just had to write a bit about Luthien and Beren.

The marker for that exam was not a Tolkien fan: no wonder I got an average grade.

As for plagiarism, I put a footnote at the bottom of the page.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

To think, I once thought I didn't write Fanfiction. My work over the last three years has been a hidden treasure trove of the stuff! (Incidentally, it is only after perusing five years of accumulated work that I'm beginning to see how odd I really am.)

Quite often I'll insert a little snippet here or there, a name or a reference. I won't mention most of these, except I need to tell you all about this one:

In an R.S. quiz, I put in the following question: What religion was J.R.R. Tolkien? a) Puritan, b) Protestant, c) Roman Catholic, d) Elf. Odd, aren't I?

I'll also mention in passing the fact that I once did a speech in English imaginarily welcoming Christopher Tolkien to open a new library or something or other. Unforunately, the actually text is now lost.

French. For some reason, my French work is littered with Tolkien. Here are three of the most Tolkienised pieces.

The first - Writing about a film I recently saw. Here's what I wrote in Januray 2004 (my French was quite poor then, sorry!):
Quote:
Le Segneur des Anneaux
Le Segneur des Anneaux est forimidable! C'est avec Orlando Bloom et Viggo Mortensen, et Elijah Wood, Hugo Weaving et Sean Bean aussi. C'est un film fantastique, et je l'adore. Les Royaumes des Rohan et Gondor sont supers, mais ils sont attaqués par Orcs. Frodo (Elijah Wood) joue un Hobbit qui doit destruire l'anneau. C'est genial!
Translation: The Lord of the Rings
The Lord of the Rings is great! Starring Orlando Bloom and Viggo Mortensen, and Elijah Wood, Hugo Weaving and Sean Bean too. It's a fantasty film, and I love it. The Kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor are super, but they are attacked by Orcs. Frodo (Elijah Wood) plays a Hobbit who must destroy the ring. Wonderful!

Next, a piece from December '02 about "Ma Maison Idéale," My Ideal Home.
Quote:
Ma Maison Idéale
Ma maison idéale est l'Orthanc tour dans le Seigneur des Anneaux. Mon terrain compris deux chaînes des montagnes, beaucoup de collines, une fleuve, une lac, une forêt, une armée ville et un dragon. En la tour d'Orthanc il y a vingt-cinq etages, y compris huit etages de donjons (328 complètement).
Translation: My ideal home is Orthanc from LotR. My grounds include two chains of mountains, a lot of hills, a river, a lake, a forest, an army camp/town and a dragon. In Orthanc tower there are 25 floors, including 8 floors of dungeons (328 overall).
This piece of work was very well illustrated. On one page I had all my grounds (including the Orthwood, Ered Orthanc, Emyn Orthanc, Ered Armée, Orthanc River and Orthanc Lake. Oh, and a dragon). On the other was Orthanc Tower, with "l'Hobbit trou," a hobbit hole in a hill, next to it.

This is getting a little long. More next time!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Moria, Inc.

Quote:
For example, Mr. Celebrimbor could have decided to refuse to sell his products to other nations. But he and his workers went so far as to take creative input from their foreign customers to make sure that they were satisfied. The goal to which I would assign the highest priority is economic freedom, because without the freedom to make one’s own choices, business owners and workers will lose the desire to do better and create better goods and services.
Interesting use of Tolkien, Encaitare! Perhaps there can be some thought given to the relationship between management and workers as well, as there was the alliance between Celebrimbor and Narvi, and the works of Moria flourished then...and how "delving too deeply" can cause a business to go under due to a "Balrog market." Also, I can't imagine the Elves mass-producing Great Rings like Burger King might (or even the high-end reproduction makers!)! That was one thing that contributed to my absolutely NOT wanting a "One Ring" to signify my solidarity with the world of Tolkien. That, and the fact that "The Ring is altogether evil..." I instead wear a Lorien leaf brooch and leave its interpretation to those who recognize it. Those who don't still comment on how nice it looks! Perhaps the marketer should be Sauron! After all, he must have marketed those Great Rings to the races of Middle Earth in some convincing way!

Sauron's business ethic: Hook the consumer, then up the price!

Celebrimbor and Narvi: Perfection in one's work.

I'd say Sauron's ethic is closer to the mainstream economic ethic, unfortunately.

This has been a great bit of fun and has helped the coffee reach my brain! Thanks, Enca!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Perhaps the marketer should be Sauron! After all, he must have marketed those Great Rings to the races of Middle Earth in some convincing way!
Unfortunately, my textbook doesn't name any kind of economic goal involving avoiding being enslaved at the hands of an over-zealous commissioner...

Quote:
Perhaps there can be some thought given to the relationship between management and workers as well, as there was the alliance between Celebrimbor and Narvi, and the works of Moria flourished then...and how "delving too deeply" can cause a business to go under due to a "Balrog market."
Not a bad idea... perhaps I'll work that in there somewhere!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #10
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Warning: Oddness

Two more then.

Firstly, a French interview with a famous person. Guess who I chose.
Quote:
Une interview avec John Tolkien
Moi: Bon jour!
J.R.R: Je deteste le francais!
M: Pourquoi? Francais est la langue d'amour! C'est beau, n'est-ce pas?
J: Non. Je la deteste. C'est embêtant.
M: Er... quel âge avez-vous?
J: J'ai plus de cent ans. Malheureusement je suis mort. Mort comme un dodo!
M: Vous n'aimez pas être mort?
J: Non. Je ne peux pas manger, tout le monde ont peur de moi et Jesus me dèteste!
M: Pourquoi?
J: Les morts ne pouvent pas enter Heaven.
M: Ah. Alors, As-tu un film préferé?
J: Le Segneur des Anneaux
M: Et votre caractère préferé est...?
J: Frodo. Il est petit!
M Vraiment?
J: Oui! Très petit!
M: Alors, Ou habitez-vous?
J: Métro.
M: Avez-vous un animal?
J: Un ver de terre, Jeff. Il est mort.
J: Merci, et au revoir.
An Interview with John Tolkien
Me: Good day
J.R.R: I hate French!
M: Why? French is the language of love. It's beautiful, isn't it?
J: No. I hate it. It's (embarassing, apparently).
M: Er... How old are you?
J: More than 100. Unfortunately, I'm dead. Dead like a Dodo!
M: You don't like being dead?
J: No. I can't eat, everybody's afraid of me and Jesus hates me!
M: Why?
J: The Dead may not enter Heaven
M: Ah. Well, do you have a favourite film?
J: The Lord of the Rings
M: And your favourite character is...?
J: Frodo. He's small!
M: Oh, really?
J: Yes! Very small!
M: Where do you live?
J: Under the ground.
M: And do you have a pet?
J: An earthworm, Jeff. He's dead.
M: Thank you and good bye.

I tried to work in his hating the French language, but it spiralled into insanity from there, as so many of my works are wont to do...

A much shorter one now. During P.S.H.E. (Personal Social Health Education) we were learning about drugs and their effects. I illustrated "Heroin" with a small caption from Lord of the Rings (Banquo from Shakespeare was also there, being a running joke of mine at the time, but isn't relevant).

From left to right, the drawings were:
Banquo, stating "I am Banquo!"
Boromir, randomly saying "I care not."
Legolas: Friend Gimli, you are short.
Gimli: Do not take heroin, it leaves you looking like Smeagol.
Gandalf: (of the Heroring inbetween them): Give it to me, Smeagol.
Heroring: Can't talk, obviously. It just lay there.
Gollum: (Wavy haired and crazy-eyed) Yesss my preciousss... heroin... No! you can't take my precious!
A small mushroom: I'm a magic mushroom! Whoooooo! (Erm - also not relevant, it was a running joke too, but it was there nonetheless).

In the distance behind all this was a flaming eye, declaring itself the Eye of Sauron, and a man questioning his anatomy.

That is all for now, though I shall return once more.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

*dies laughing*

Tolkien summing up his work as "Frodo. He's small" is fantastic... and the pet earthworm...
Old 08-17-2005, 04:37 AM   #12
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
hehe... Nice thread. In my Journalism class I usually pretend to be Bilbo taking down notes and writing.... although I never really applied my Tolkienism syndrome in class....

Unless you include my weird moments in English and Filipino classes wherein I use names, places and events in my themes, compositions, and other writings.

Question: Give a sentence with an S-TV-DO pattern
answer: Beren and Luthien took a Silmaril from the Iron Crown.

Tanong: Magbigay ng halimbawa kung saan maihahawig ang akdang El Filibusterismo sa buhay MO.
Sagot: Ang mga fraile ay ang eksaktong kabaliktaran ng Valar, dahil ni minsan ay di nila inalagaan ang mga tinatawag nilang Indio. Ngunit tulad n gValar, nagrebelde rin ang mga Indio, at nakakamit ng kalayaan. Kahit papaano ay may pagkakaiba ang pagrerebelde ng mga Diwata dahil sila'y may nais paghigantigan; ang Pilipino'y nais lamang lumaya upang mamuhay ng mapayapa.

Translation:
Q: Give examples wherein the novel El Filibusterismo is related to YOUR life.
A: THe friars were evil and were the exact opposite of the Valar. THey never cared for the Filipino masses, except when they paid all those taxes they impose. But, like the Valar, the Filipino had rebelled and claimed freedom, yet the Noldor did it for revenge.

Well... there are innumerable crazy Tolkien moments in school... yet those above are the latest. And my Filipino teacher gave me a big fat 75 on my essay... I bet she never has read any Tolkien book nor watched any LOTR movie... she is too patriotic. Anyway what does she know of my life?
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Besides the essays I write for school solely about Tolkien?

All of the time. Including this somewhat section from an essay about the way the grasp of English language is getting worse and worse amongst my peers:

Quote:
Finally lets translate two quotes from their original form to the standard of English most people have today. Here is the original quote from one of the most tragic moments I have ever read in a book:

Then all the host of Morgoth swarmed against them, and they bridged the stream with the dead, and encircled the remnant of Hithlum as a gathering tide about a rock.

Huor fell pierced with a venomed arrow in the eye, and all the valiant men of Hador were slain about him in a heap, and the Orcs hewed their heads and piled them as a mound of gold; for the sun was shining on the sixth and last day of the battle and their yellow locks shone amid the blood. Last of all Hurin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield and wielded his axe two-handed; and it is sung that in that last stand he himself slew a hundred of the Orcs. But they took him alive at last, by the command of Morgoth, who thought thus to do him more evil than by death. Therefore his servants grappled him with their hands, which clung still to him though he hewed off their arms; and ever their numbers were renewed until at the last he fell buried beneath them. Then binding him they dragged him to Angband with mockery. Thus ended the Nirnaeth Arnediad, and the sun sank red over Hithlum, and there came a great storm on the winds of the West.

--from 'The Grey Annals' in The War of the Jewels.

Let’s see the new version.

Then all the armies of Morgoth surrounded them. They used the dead as a bridge. They surrounded the rest of the army.

Huor was killed when he was shot in the eye with an arrow. Everybody else around was killed. The enemy cut off their heads and put them in a pile because their hair sparkled when the sun hit it. Then Hurin was all alone. He threw his shield and wielded his axe. He slew a hundred enemies than. Then they took him prisoner because Morgoth said to. He was going to do something worse than death to him. So they tried to capture him and finally managed to. Then the battle ended.

The quote loses a lot of the emotion behind it and the destruction doesn’t even really register in your mind. You could be reading a grocery list with this amount of emotion. On to the next quote.

Such lissom limbs no more shall run
on the green earth beneath the sun;
So fair a maid no more shall be
from dawn to dusk, from sun to sea.
Her robe was blue as summer skies,
but grey as evening were her eyes;
her mantle sewn with lilies fair,
but dark as shadow was her hair.
Her feet were swift as bird on wing,
her laughter merry as the spring;
the slender willow, the bowing reed,
the fragrance of the flowering meed,
the light upon the leaves of trees,
the voice of water, more than these
her beauty was and blissfulness,
her glory and her loveliness.

--description of Luthien from the 'Lay of Leithian' or 'Release from Bondage' in The Lays of Beleriand.

This makes you really think about how beautiful she must have been. You can see her in your mind. Lets see the new translation.

Nobody so pretty would ever run again.
No girl this pretty will ever be alive agin.
She had a blue dress.
Her eyes were grey
Her coat was embroidered with lilies.
Her hair was black.
She was fast.
She laughed nice.
She was prettier than anything.

Well at least we know she was pretty and wore a blue dress.
An admittedly odd use of Tolkien, but what can I say?