The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Pipe Texas Barrowdowners' Meeting

I, and other Barrowdowners as well, have noticed that even though there are many Texans here there is no specific topic devoted to them, so I have decided to create one, which I do hope that the moderators will not mind me doing. Here is where we can discuss past Texan meetings or future ones. Also, please tell us where in Texas you live and if you would be able to meet somewhere. Also, if oyu are visiting Texas within teh next year or so, yet do not live there, please post when and where you will be visiting.

On a personal note I would like to tell you a bit a about myself, and why I am creating this thread. I was born in the beautiful and exciting city of San Antonio, Texas, and lived there for nine years. I then moved with my family to Kentucky. I miss my home state greatly, and I have returned there 3 or 4 times since we moved, though not as often as I would like to. This December, though, I shall be visiting some relatives in San Antonio. I would gretly love to meet some other Barrowdowners that live there, during this period of time, if anyone is interested.

I hope to speak with many of you Texans here in the future, and to discuss past and future gatherings.

For now, namarie, my friends.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Thumbs up At Last! A Texas thread!

Yay! I've been hoping for a specifically Texas Barrow-downers thread.

About me: I was born in Arlington and have lived there all my life. For those who don't know, Arlington is right in between Fort Worth and Dallas. And no, Arlington is nobody's suburb! (Pet peeve. )

I am currently living 8 months of the year in College Station, however, while attending Texas A&M University. And most importantly, I'm the proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2005! A-A-A-WHOOP!

Although I don't have a car, I manage to get around pretty decently. After three years of this (Class of 2005 means I'm a junior) I've become proficient at mooching rides. Galadel, I was in San Antonio the weekend of Valentine's Day! My roommate lives there. At this point I can't count on getting there during December, since I'll already be home. Plus my roommate is graduating in May and probably going to grad school in California. But I know other people who live there, as well as many in Houston.

I'm looking forward to meeting you fellow Barrow-downers here in Texas! And that goes even if you're from UT.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
How about meeting up at the Renaissance Festival sometime in October? It's going to be around Houston, and my English class is taking a field trip up there, I don't know exactly when.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Hmmm...well...that sounds good to me, but I do not live in Texas, adn will only be visiting during the month of Decmember.

Can anyone else meet during the time that Finwe had suggested?

As always, with deep respect,

Galadel
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 03-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I now have an updated list of those Barrowners who live in the beautiful state of Texas.

Did I miss anyone? If I did please PM me or post here so that I can add your name to the list.

Quote:
List of Texas Barrowdowners:

Maikafanawen,
Nuranar,
DaughterofVana,
Bulelainwen,
Eressie Ailin,
BethoHOG,
One axe to rule them all,
Finwe,
Child of the Seventh Age,
Luthien_Tunuviel,
ElanorGamgee,
Gorwingel
and Regin Hardhammer.

Also, I, Galadel, shall be visiting San Anotonio, Texas this December.

Last edited by Galadel Vinorel; 04-23-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Let's get this show on the road!

Galadel, add ElanorGamgee to the list. She's not online much, but I'm pretty sure she'd be interested in a meeting. I can keep her posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finwe
How about meeting up at the Renaissance Festival sometime in October? It's going to be around Houston, and my English class is taking a field trip up there, I don't know exactly when.
Do you have exact dates? I'll be living in College Station in October, so that'd be a distinct possibility for me, provided I can find a ride (or miraculously come up with a car this summer).

Last edited by Nuranar; 03-24-2004 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo
Nuranar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Silmaril

Umm... I don't know the exact dates right now, but I could probably get them to you perhaps in August or about then.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Boots Hmmm, I feel secluded...

Ahem, I'm in Austin.

I don't know whether I could make it to the Renisance, but it seems like a fantabulouse idea! Very easy to access, and very public, and we could even wear costumes if we liked! I belive it's a brilliant idea.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
1420! I'm from Houston!

Howdy Y'all. This here is Regin Hardhammer writing to you from the Lone Star State. I live in Houston. This sounds neat!

Meeting at the Renaissance festival might work for me, but it does get a little hectic during the school year. The problem is I'm committed to other things on Saturdays. Bummer, but I would try my hardest if it was any other time.

I do have another idea. If anyone is free during the summer we could all meet for lunch at the Hobbit Cafe (formerly the Hobbit Hole). For those of you who don't know, the Hobbit Cafe is a Tolkien themed resteraunt in Houston. It has statues and stuff of different LOTR characters going all the way back to the 70's animated movies. The walls are lined with Tolkien posters and maps, and you can buy T-shirts. The dishes take their names from different characters in LotR and The Hobbit. Not surprisingly, this Dwarf has a special liking for the Thorin Oakenshield sandwich! Nearby there are a lot of bookstores and fantasy shops that have some interesting stuff! Maybe they would even do something special for a Tolkien themed group.....
Old 04-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I'm not from Texas, and I don't live in Texas. But that Hobbit Cafe place sounds really cool

I guess it gives me a reason to get myself down to Houston someday soon
Old 04-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #11
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree Oh great!

WOW! What a great idea, Regin Hardhammer! Those of you that can go to this should definately meet.

Oh, I wish that I were coming down in the summer! I'll only be in Texas during December. Anyone wanna meet then? PLEASE!!! Oh, well.

Make sure that if you all do decide to meet that you all follow Barrowdown guidelines and suggestions. Have fun!

Gorwingel, you really should come down and visit Texas soon. It's the coolest state ever!! He-He! (No offense to any of the other states. )

As always,

~Galadel

P.S.: I have added Regin Hardhammer and Arafangwen to our list of Texas Barrowdownders. Yeah!!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #12
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh, yes. The Hobbit Cafe is fun. I have dined there a number of times. Plus the food is good, and the portions gargantuan, in keeping with its hobbit theme!

If anyone is going to be in Houston, post it on the thread, and we can try to set something up.

Child of the 7th Age
Old 04-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I'm in College Station right now, and will be until May 11. From then on until the end of August I'll be in Arlington - quite a bit further from Houston.

I don't have a car, but I can probably find a ride down to Houston before the semester ends; it'd be great to see y'all. Anyone want to stick their neck out and propose a date or two?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #14
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Question Possible Meeting

Galadel Vinorel- I could probably meet you in December during winter break. This year it started on the 19th and ran through the first week of Januray. It would be fun if we could set up something closer to the time. Okay?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #15
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree Great!!

Regin Hardhammer: That would be fun! I'm not exactely sure of the exact days that I shall be in San Anotonio yet, but I'll let you know when I do. I do know, however that I won't be able to meet you on: December 21st (My sister's and my birthday), December 24th (Christmas Eve), December 25th (Christmas Day), and January 1st (New Year's Day). Other than that I look pretty free, but I'll tell you more once I schedule the flight day.

~Galadel
Old 04-26-2004, 11:34 AM   #16
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril Meeting in Houston!

I talked to Elanor Gamgee - we're both at Texas A&M, whoop! - and we're both good to go! Who wants to meet at the Hobbit Cafe sometime in the next two weeks?

Galadel, I wish I could meet you in December, but the odds of me making it to San Antonio are practically nil. (Unless my current roommate invites me back, which is a very very far outside chance - she's graduating, so we won't be roommates next year.) Any chance that you'll pass through Dallas-Fort Worth?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #17
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

That's great Nuranar! Hope that you guys have a great time. Just maky sure that those of you who are meeting follow the Barrowdown's guidelines. Thanks!!

Nuranar- No, I won't probally be heading through Dallas or Fort Worth on my visit. I'll be staying in San Antonio mainly, which is where most of my relatives are- free boardig! If my plans do change, and I am able ot make it to either of those cities I'll let you know, though!

~Galadel
Old 05-08-2004, 09:05 AM   #18
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Hi fellow Texans! I actually moved out of state this past September but I still consider my self Texan. I'll always be a Texan. I keep getting teased with these Texas jokes up here in Utah. Its funny because here, there are a lot of Texas jokes as there were mormon jokes in Texas. Anyways, I lived in DeSoto, just 20 minutes south of Dallas. *sigh* I miss the humidity. Its so stinkin' dry up here! Its horrible. One joke I've seen actually is this map of the USA and Texas is HUGE and "TEXAS" written in big words, but then all the other states are really small and say "not Texas" on them in little words. Another one that I've seen is that its talking about historical landmarks in the US, and then it has the Alamo listed with this huge description about it, but then it has Mt.Rushmore and in the description all it says is "not in Texas." Then it has other landmarks and tourist attractions, with all the ones in Texas with big descriptions and the rest just say "not in Texas." It makes me laugh, because I'm like "its true! Texas is better!" I admit my Texan pride. I just figure they're jealous.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #19
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
I too am from Texas!
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 AM   #20
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
For all us fellow Texans, the Howard Shore concert is coming to Houston on July 1 and 2. I was both pleased and surprised at this! Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Tuesday, May 25) at 10 a.m. It will be performed by the Houston Symphony and the Houston Symphony Chorus and Children's Chorus, with Alexander Mickelthwate conducting--250 performers in all. Would that Shore himself was coming, but this is the next best thing....

I am going to try to get tickets for the Thursday evening performance.

Thought this would be a good place to post a notice like this.

~Child

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-24-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #21
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
White Tree

Could I ask where you found that info? I'd like to see if there's one in Dallas...

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote