The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Well, what about the midwest? (Indiana to Utah, Dakota to Texas)

While hopping around the boards today I noticed threads for BD conventions on the East and West coasts, which is great, but what about that big area in between?

I'm not sure how many people are from those areas, but I know there's a few. I know that last summer there was some sort of convention in Kansas City (only three hours from where I live, but I was in Texas at the time so I missed it), and KC seems like a fairly central location, so why not have something there this year?

If you fall between Indiana and Utah (as far as East-West), and Texas and North Dakota (North-South), then this would be for you! Would anyone be interested? Is there already something in the works?

PS Not meant to exclude anyone. If you want to come from the coast, or from Europe, or Canada, that'd be cool with me.

-list of members

the phantom (Omaha, May-August)
Nuranar (Texas)
Diamond18 (Wisconsin)
lord of dor-lomin (Omaha, May-August)
Tigerlily Gamgee (Chicago, anytime)
ArwenBaggins (Kentucky, summer)
Jesse (Minneapolis)
Lindorlirian (Indiana)
Gwindor (Chicago)
Alaklondewen (Indiana, July-August)
Alphaelin (Nebraska, summer)
Vardamar (Indiana, summer)
Brinniel (Idaho, August)
Kalimac (Chicago, May-June, August)
DaughterofVana (Texas)
Bulelainwen (Texas)
Eressie Ailin (Texas, June-July)
Red (Michigan)
Lady_Bain (Utah, July)
BethoHOG (Texas)
Sophia the Thunder Mistress (Indiana)
Aerandir Carnesir (Colorado)
Liriodendron (Indiana)
Arafangwen (Texas)
One Axe to Rule them All (Texas)
manaratowen

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 01-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

I'm glad someone started this topic! I didn't want to start anything, but thank you for doing it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, the odds are pretty slim I can do anything, though. My schedule's pretty tight with both school and summer plans, and Kansas City is a long way from home for me.

Of course, if there's anyone else at all in Texas, I'd love to know... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Houston would probably be possible, although College Station is optimum! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Oh, come on, what is a midwest Tolkien convention without a visit to the Holy Relics at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?

Not that I myself could come, or anything. My parents would probably disown me if I announced I was going to meet a bunch of people I met on the internet. But those handwritten Tolkien document are right there, waiting for a group of Barrow Downers to file by in awed reverence.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Hey, I'm not saying KC has to be the choice, I just mentioned it because that's where that one convention was.

Well, Nuranar, I'm fairly certain I've seen other people say they're from Texas. We should've had something down there last summer when I was there! I have relatives in Austin and Houston, and I visit them every once and a while, so who knows, a Texas convention might work for me depending on when.

And Diamond18, what's this you say they have at Marquette? (And you need to get your priorities straight. What's more important, your mom and dad, or the barrow downs? ha ha)

Anyone else out there from someplace between the coasts? (come on, I know there has to be)
Old 01-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #5
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hello all. I'd also love to see a mid-west Middle Earth Convention (ha) and I would kind of like to see it be in Omaha! hmmm... wonder why??

Yes, Diamond18, do tell about the "holy relics" up there in Wisconsin. I might go just to see them.

Let me see, other possibilities for locations... St Louis would be good.. maybe Oklahoma City.. it'd be cool to have it in Denver.. Chicago would be fine.. and Texas seems a bit far south, but I suppose if there are enough downers there it'd be fine.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:47 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Tolkien

Here are a couple newspaper articles about the subject:

June 11, 2000
December 23, 2001

Strangly enough, phantom, my mom is always telling me I need to get my priorities straight, too! Only she means it the other way around. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

This article
here was in the paper the same day as the first article I mentioned (June 11, 2000). It doesn't have to do with Marquette, but reading it was the first time I'd ever heard of J.R.R. Tolkien, Hobbits, or Lord of the Rings. I feel nostalgic...

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-30-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

If it is held in Chicago I can help scout out a place... I am the local line party leader here & I already know lots of LOTR fans & places that take large groups [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I would love to come! I live in Kentucky, but anywhere that isn't majorly far (like Cali) might work for a summer vacation. I know all kinds of LotR freaks, and my friend Jessie in Loisiana may wanna come. We should get in the works of that!

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #9
Jesse
Animated Skeleton

Location: My home is in the Twin Cities, but my soul is at Loch Ness in Scotland
Jesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi all:
I would love to see a LotR convention in the midwest. Perferably, in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN.) That way I could attend. It'd be cool to meet other LotR fanatics.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey,cool. I'm from Indiana.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:19 AM   #11
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay guys, I'm going to start making a list of everyone up at the top in my first post. Next to their name, I'll give their location, so we can get a feel for where people are from.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We seem to be a little bit too spread out. Maybe if we broke it down to northern, middle, and southern areas...
Old 02-02-2003, 02:01 PM   #13
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Yes, we are spread out. But, this can't be all of us, right? Eight people? I think I'll hold off on sectioning off groups until some more people have replied (crossing fingers).
Old 02-02-2003, 10:52 PM   #14
Gwindor
Animated Skeleton

Gwindor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gwindor
Tolkien

Hey, I'm from the south side of Chicago, so any gathering in the Chicagoland area would work great for me! Many of you may not know me...I tend to chat in the chatroom more than I post in the forum. Anywho, it would be great to meet all of you!

Gwindor
Old 02-02-2003, 11:41 PM   #15
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would love to meet you all! I live in Indiana. Lindorlirian, we should talk!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:35 AM   #16
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Wight, thanks for bringing this up. I would be interested in a Midwest convention, but am not sure I would be able to attend due to possible distance problems and family schedules.

You may add me to your list as Alphaelin (Nebraska) if you would like.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:41 AM   #17
Alphaelin
Wight

The Eye

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

D'OH!!! Apologies to both Wight and Phantom. I did not *read carefully* & got your locations wrong.

Cringing in shame,
Alphaelin
Old 02-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #18
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

Eye

Ha ha! Nebraska is in the lead with three barrowdowners (pretty amazing considering our population compared to other places like Texas).

Where's the rest of the Mid-West people??
Old 02-05-2003, 07:32 AM   #19
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Hey, I can think of a couple people right now who are from this region that haven't posted. Here's an idea. Everybody watch people's locations on other threads, and if somebody is from this general area, PM them and tell them to come here.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #20
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I've been looking at people's locations, and I also scanned the barrow-map, and here's some people that appear to live in our area. If you know any of them, or just happen to see them posting on something that you are, tell them to come to this thread.

child of the 7th age
thenamir
merendis
niltaliel
calencoire
samb
eriathwen
ainur
mhoram

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #21
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I added the range of states to the subject. Let's see if that gets it any more attention. Remember, be on the lookout for the people listed above.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:25 PM   #22
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Dont forget about me! But if you dont know me in the first place how can you forget me?
I live in northwest Indiana!!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:38 AM   #23
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

*sigh* I have yet to find an Idahoan to meet (besides Ithaeliel). Unfortunately, Idaho is in the middle of nowhere and it takes a couple of hours just to get out of this stupid state.
But I might be able to go to Utah or possibly a little further during my spring break (last week of March). I don't know; I've never been to states like Nebraska, so I'm not sure how long it takes to get there (more than a day, I'm sure). I'll have to try to convince my dad.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:09 AM   #24
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'm just north of Chicago, and a trip to see the Holy Relics in Milwaukee would definitely be possible for me (I work in a library so my hours aren't exactly 9-5, but I'm sure I could get a free weekend at some point). Indiana could work too if that's how things turned out.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:06 PM   #25
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Hello all!!

I've added Vardamar, Brinniel, and Kalimac to the list.

Vardamar and Kalimac, you two make the count six for Chicago and Indiana. Pair that with Diamond18 in Wisconsin, and it looks like a convention at Milwaukee to see the "holy relics" is the best choice thus far.

And if this is not to your liking, you'll just have to drum up some support for where you want it by bringing in some more people from that area [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] !!

Brinniel, do you know Ithaeliel? If so, tell Ithaeliel to sign on this thread. Where in Idaho are you from? I've been up there three times (once up in the pan-handle, once in the Salmon river area, and another time in the south). And you can make it to Nebraska in one drive if you really work at it (pretty easy with two people). I can't remember how long it actually takes, but it is more than 24 hours (but like I said, with two people it's cake).
Old 02-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #26
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Ithaeliel is a friend of mine from school and we both live in Boise. Unfortunately, I can't drive and if I went at all it would probably only be my dad and me. Perhaps Ith and one of her parents could come along, but I have to convince my dad that I should go before even asking a friend.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #27
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Is your dad a Tolkien fan too? If so, then make sure and tell him that he's welcome. The more, the merrier. (I'm trying to get my dad to come, he's a Tolkien fan)
Old 02-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #28
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

Unfortunately, no. He's seen the movies and perhaps has read The Hobbit, but he's not a fan. But he promised I could do something fun for spring break since my mom and sister are going to LA without us. I just hope he'll say yes to this.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:42 AM   #29
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Spiffy! I hope we can get a group to go see the relics...wow, an event I can actually attend [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Diamond, do you think you'd be able to make it to something like that? The relics are a fairly public venue, after all, and it's not like there's anything wrong with talking there to people of a Tolkienphile disposition [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-10-2003, 01:46 AM   #30
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

I'm just guessing, but they wouldn't so much think you all are dangerous (ah! scary interet people!) but would rather be dismayed at my further decsent into geekiness. My mom already complains about the way I spend my days now that I've graduated from high school. I wouldn't want to even bring the idea up, as I already have visions of long lectures about my priorities or terse statements to the same effect. Gah!

Basically I don't have my own car, and the thought of me driving their van all the way down to Milwaukee for a *gulp* frivolous activity would sit none too well. *Counts car money and sighs...nope...*

Anyway, in short, I don't foresee myself being able to go unless it was a quite a while from now (read, a year or more!). But I'm happy to have been able to impart a little Tolkien knowledge and an idea for the rest of you (now only to wait for that compensation check from the Wisconsin board of tourism! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).
Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 AM   #31
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

Eye

You're out of high school Diamond? In that case, you can descend as far into geekiness as you want! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And hey, if they won't let you borrow their car, find a friend with a ride to go with you. Are you like all the way across the state or something?
Old 02-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #32
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Oh, but I still live in my parent's house, drive their car, eat their food, etc., etc. We wouldn't want to displease them, my precious. Nice massssters, with nice fisssh.

Acutally, heh... it's only about 60 miles away, a rather easy distance compared to the rest of you, but I am terrible driver. My navigation skills...well let's just say I don't have any. I also have a bad habit of panicking and doing stupid stuff when I get lost, and get lost in Milwaukee, I would. My parents get lost when they go down there, so I'd be hopeless. And my dad is fond of old cars on their last leg, so with my luck it'd probably break down on the highway. (I'm such an optimist).

On the upswing, my mom likes LotR: she's read The Hobbit twice, and LotR of course, and loves the movies. So this would be something she might find interesting... probably if it was her idea. Geekiness would not be such a terrible thing if I had a better job to go with it. So... I'll give it time.

If you do decide to make Milwaukee the place, you certainly don't want to do it in winter. I'd suggest late spring, as once Summerfest and the thousand and one Otherfests get going in summer traffic will be murder.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:04 AM   #33
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Isn't living at home great!? Actually, I suppose it kind of is. Someone else makes your food, does your laundry, and pays the bills while you stack up cash and goof off.

And don't worry. If people are driving many miles to get to a convention in Milwaukee, I'm sure one of your fellow downers with better navigational skills wouldn't mind picking you up.

And I don't think you'll get any arguements about not having it in winter.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 PM   #34
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not saying that I could come to one of the conventions, but put a vote in for Texas. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:39 PM   #35
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

I'm just running into you everywhere, Vana! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm down here in College Station, and as my signature used to say, I'm the proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2005! A-A-A-A-A!

*blushes* Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I just wanted to say welcome. It's always nice to meet a fellow Texan at the Downs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:59 PM   #36
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Oh well, the only time I'd be able to attend would be late summer, Ill be turning 18 then [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] not to mention that schools out then.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:27 AM   #37
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I, too, would prefer summer.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking that most people here are in school, and that summer would work best for them as well.

Is that correct??
Old 02-12-2003, 01:38 AM   #38
Alphaelin
Wight

Ring

Not sure if I can come; I live at home and am not in school - but as I'm the one who provides hot meals and clean laundry at my house, it's the same as a (paying) full-time job. Summer might work for me; my *kids* will be out of school then!

Are my wrinkles getting deeper or does it just look that way?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #39
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I, too, would prefer the summer. I am planning a trip to California and it would be convenient to have the 'convention' on the way. I have not set a date, but would like to consider this when I plan.

I also think a trip to see the 'relics' would be splendid. I truly want to see his hand written "One Ring to bring them all..." Doesn't it just make you shudder?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:01 PM   #40
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

I'm really busy this summer, so I'm not sure I'd be able to do it. If I can, it would most likely be in August.